Chapter 73

Sun-kissed: Part II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Early December morning…

“Oh god.”

Hanna groaned in disgust as she stared at the wrinkled HOT poster taped behind the bedroom door.  Although his hair had changed of late, there was no mistaking her infamous cousin in-law’s profile.  His strong jaw jutted out arrogantly against the blazing red background and true to his “Taeyang-style”, the man was of course half-.  If only that were the worst of his offense!

She narrowed her eyes and counted the red matted lip prints along his neck and chest.

Six.

Eight.

Ten.

Damn.

The bathroom door opened and sounds of muffled footsteps echoed into the hall.  Amina marginally pushed against the door, causing Hanna to back-up and move away.  “Seriously?”  Hanna cocked a brow at the younger girl and glared suggestively at the poster.

Miserable beyond belief, Amina pressed a hand against the small of her back and shuffled in.  “Stay out of our bedroom, please,” Amina panted quietly, deeply breathing in and out.  The contractions weren’t so bad.  In fact, she could hardly feel them at times.  But the culminating stress derived from bearing the baby’s weight made her entire back and feel like it was on fire!  No amount of pillows could ease the tormenting pressure below.  She reached the king-sized bed and gingerly sat down.

“Don’t tell me you guys role play!”

Amina glanced up at the sound of her cousin’s appalled voice.  Unbelievable!  Couldn’t Hanna see she was in pain?  “Neh!” Amina nodded hard.  “And Tuesday night is night.  Now go get my shoes!”  She waved her unnie off in annoyance and then winced when the motion caused a small ligament strain.  “Aye…” Amina moaned quietly, clenching her teeth.  “Aigoo…”

Hanna scampered off towards the hallway closet, all while keeping one eye on the overly plump girl.  Any minute now, Amina was going to pop!  She just knew it!  “You really don’t want to call for an ambulance?” Hanna asked worriedly.  She grabbed a pair of UGGs and shut the door back in place.  The smell of rubber soles followed in her wake as she headed back towards the couple’s bedroom.

She fell to her knees and began slipping Amina’s tender feet inside.

“I’m fine,” Amina gritted when the robust movements caused more pelvic spasms to begin.  She wiggled her sock-covered toes and frowned.  “I can’t wear these.  I can’t feel my feet.  They’re too tight.”  She jerked her chin back towards the hallway.  “Give me something else.”

“Like what!” Hanna’s eyes widened like saucers.  Today would be the last day she ever took orders from a pregnant woman again!  With a glorified huff, Hanna snatched the furry boots and stood back up.  “There’s nothing else!  Unless you want to wear your heels?”  She opened the hallway closet once more and wrinkled her nose at the offensive smell.  How in the world could anyone live here?  “How about your house slippers?” 

She threw the UGGs back inside.

“It’s minus four outside!”

Hanna shrugged to herself and eyed the vast selection.

Damn it Mimi!

Grabbing the nearest pair of shoes, Hanna shut the door and quickly returned.  At this rate, they were going to deliver the baby at home!  “Here,” Hanna cupped Amina’s heel.  “I’m sure your doting husband won’t mind.”  She began lacing the poor girl in.

Amina peered around her belly and glanced downwards until she could see her feet once again.  “Those are his favorite pair,” she murmured poignantly, watching as Hanna quickly knotted the strings on Youngbae’s Vans into place.  The sight of her husband's crisp black canvas sneakers suddenly made her teary-eyed.  She sniffed quietly, just as her stomach tightened again on its own.  Amina automatically checked the clock on the nightstand.

Too soon.

Panic started to creep in.

“What, this one?” Hanna replied, unconvinced.  She had seen the assorted collection and was none too impressed.  Looping off the ends, Hanna reached up and adjusted Amina’s leggings down her calf.  “I bet he says that about all his shoes,” she smartly drawled. 

“You’ll think he’ll make it?”

The sound of Amina’s small voice gave Hanna pause.  She looked up and took in her dongsaeng’s anxious demeanor and the hint of apprehension that swam in the depths of Amina’s large brown eyes.  “He’ll make it,” Hanna bullted and began to stand.  “Has your nampyeon ever missed an event?”

Amina quietly shook her head.

“See!” Hanna challenged.  “Then there’s no way he’d miss this!”  She grabbed the carryon bag filled with items needed for Amina’s birthing recovery stay at the maternity hotel later on.  “I’m sure he’s on the plane right now.  In fact, he’s probably riding -pit all the way home because he’ll be too excited.”  She gave Amina a small smile.  “Don’t worry, neh?  He’ll make it.”

“Neh, you’re right.”  Feeling more appeased, Amina nodded to herself.  “He’ll be here.  Beijing is only a couple of hours away.  And I heard that labor could take up to twenty hours the first time-”

“Twenty hours!” exclaimed a horrified Hanna.

“That’s what the nurse said in class!  Remember?”  Amina furrowed her brows.  “Were you not paying attention?”  Worry lined her delicate features.  “Did you forget everything, Hanna-sshi?  You were supposed to be my coach in case Bae-yah couldn’t make it-”

“Neh,” Hanna begged off.  If Amina became  any more upset, she’d never hear the last from her aunt!  Her ears were still recovering from the last set-down that came out of left field.  She knew it was in her best interests to keep the young girl calm.  “I remember, I remember,” Hanna feigned, widening her eyes as innocently as possible.  “Twenty hours… piece of cake!”

Amina grimaced.

Hanna smiled.  “You ready?  Or do you need a wheelchair?”

“Ani,” Amina shook her head.  “I’m going to walk this baby out,” she groaned, half pushing herself up off the bed.  “Help me,” Amina panted, reaching for her cousin’s arm.  The force of her grip nearly knocked Hanna down, but the taller girl righted herself at the last second.  Together, in an awkward bear-hug position, the pair slowly stood up. 

“Huuhhh!” Amina moaned lowly through clenched teeth and closed her eyes.  This spasm was sharper and stronger than the last, sending jolts of pain straight beneath her belly button.

“Oww, oww.  My arm?” Hanna requested, trying to ignore how deep her cousin’s nails sank into her skin.

 “I hate you, Dong Youngbae-sshi,” Amina pathetically wailed into her unnie’s chest.

“Don’t we all?” Hanna replied sarcastically.  “Just breathe through it,” she ordered, watching as Amina took her cue and immediately started up her breathing exercises.  “That’s right… take all the time you need,” Hanna cooed.  She stood in silence, listening to the sounds of a distraught woman cursing her husband away.

Amina miserably lifted her head.

“Feeling better?”

She nodded.

“Okay, let’s go deliver that baby!” Hanna quipped.

They started walking down the hall, turning off lights as they went and checking off last minute details out loud.

“You know the hospital?”

“Neh,” Hanna reassured.  She shrugged into her trench coat and whipped out her sunglasses.

“And you’re sure Bae-yah got the message?”

“That’s what Jiyong-ah said.”  Hanna grabbed her satchel and pulled out her keys.  “The connection is bad over there but Youngbae-sshi will call as soon as he can.  In the meantime,” she perched white Chanels on her nose and headed towards the door, “Seunghyun oppa, Jiyong-ah, and Daesung will meet us at the hospital.”

“Mwuh?” Amina looked perplexed.  “I’m having a baby! Not… not conducting a fan meeting!”  She frowned.  “It could be hours before the baby arrives and visiting hours may be over by then.  Do they just plan to wait around all day?”

Hanna grinned.  “Neh.”

Amina scoffed, completely floored and in disbelief.  She wobbled along and paused when a sudden thought occurred to her.  “Where’s Seunghyunie?”

Hanna turned around.

“Where’s  Seungrie?  Maknae?”  Amina worried.  “D-did someone call him?  Does he know?”  She began to reach for her duffle bag, in search of her phone and purse. 

“He knows.”

“Huh?”

“He’s doing some protest or sit-in,” Hanna shook her head.  “I don’t know.  I couldn’t get past all the laughing that Jiyong was doing on the other line.  We’ll ask when we get to the hospital okay?”  She opened the front door.  “I’m sure he’s fine.”

Someone’s phone started vibrating.

Hanna muttered to herself and reached inside her bag. 

“Ungh.”

She looked over and found Amina clutching her belly with a surprised look on her face.  “What?  What?  What is it?”  Hanna rapidly shot out.  “You okay?”  She glanced at her caller id and cursed.

“Neh, neh,” Amina adamantly nodded.  “I just… I think my water just broke.”

 

“Here!”

Distant reprimands and soft moans could be heard on the line.

“What’s happening?  Hanna?  Let me talk to her,” Youngbae frantically insisted, choking the plane’s corded phone in a death-grip.  He was several thousand feet in the air and helpless.  Utterly helpless.  Faintly he could hear Amina ordering Hanna about and the soft cadence of her voice consoled some of his worries.  She didn’t sound scared or nervous.  Just slightly distressed.

“Yeobo-yah,” Amina pouted sullenly.

His lips curved up against his will.  “Neh,” Youngbae huskily replied.

“I ruined your shoes.”

He knitted his brows in confusion.

“My water just broke,” Amina anxiously confessed.  “And Hanna-sshi’s… Hanna-sshi’s running around the apartment like a chicken with its head cut off.”  Her eyes widened at the bucket that Hanna magically procured.  Something they had probably washed Boss with!  “Towel, unnie!  I need a towel!”  Amina turned back to the phone.  “Please come

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter