Chapter 55

Sun-kissed: Part II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He was perfect.

And she was a genius.

If anyone could fill the role of CEO, he would be the one.  He was already familiar with their product lines and his connection with the family could not be denied.  All she had to do now was make a few phone calls and schedule a formal interview with the Board.

Hanna smiled smugly to herself as she strode confidently back to her office.  She was beyond proud for coming up with the idea.  Not only would it solve their company problems, it would also fix her issue about Youngbae and Amina.  That ed up couple needed a reality check and what better way to serve it then upfront and in their face?  She rounded the corner, her footsteps muffled by the thick carpeted hallway.  Just as Hanna placed her foot over the threshold, she froze.  The blood drained from her face and the triumphant smirk on her lips swiftly died.

“Keun umeoni,” Hanna breathed, her lungs suddenly constricting with effort.  It had been several weeks since she last spoke to Amina’s mother.  A couple of months since she last saw her aunt in person – the last time being at the funeral.  “What are you doing here?”

“Don’t play dumb with me, Hanna,” Solada lashed out.  She sat on the edge of her seat, her posture rim-rod straight.  Her grip visibly tightened over the handles of her satchel.  “You know very well why I am here.”

Hanna nodded jerkily and continued on in, heading straight for her desk.  She avoided her aunt’s gaze as she sat down and quickly straightened the area – placing paper clips back in its proper place, aligning her pens in a straight line.  Pleased that her hands were not shaking, Hanna took a deep breath and looked up. 

“How long have you’ve known?”

Hanna swallowed hard.  Even though they were in her office, in her territory, she felt nervous.  Nothing ever seemed up to par when it came to her formidable aunt.  Suddenly, Hanna remembered why she hated going over to Amina’s house when they were younger.  “Only two months,” Hanna replied, resisting the urge to smooth down her hair. 

“Only two months?” Solada raised a thin brow.

“Yeh, keun umeoni,” Hanna nodded.  “I promise.  It was much of a surprise to me… as it is to you.”

“Why was I not informed?”

Hanna lowered her eyes, feeling shamed by the accusation and evident hurt in her aunt’s voice.  “Mianhaeyo. But it was not my news to tell.”  She raised her chin, but kept the direction of her gaze submissively low.  “Mimi-“  Breaking off, Hanna cleared and corrected herself.  “Amina-yah did not wish for anyone to know.”

“Did your parents know?”

Hanna’s cheeks filled with high color.  “Yeh.  But only after they questioned why Amina-yah and Youngbae-sshi wanted to get married so soon.”

Solada’s chin trembled and her hands shook with quiet outrage.  “And your parents approved of this?  Without first speaking to me?”

“Appa was upset,” Hanna simply replied.  “He did not understand the hasty need for the nuptials, nor was he happy to hear about Amina’s current state of affairs.”

Solada flushed, mortified to learn that Hyun-Shik was aware of their family issues.  They were barely civil to one another at the funeral and she could only imagine the choice words he would have for her should they ever met again.  Well, that was fine.  She had a few words for him as well!  Her nostrils flared with quiet indignation.  “It is not his place to approve of Amina’s circumstances.  As the elder, he should’ve done the right thing and let me know.”  She picked at the material of her cashmere coat. “Where is she staying now?”

“At his place, in Gangnam-gu.”

“And work?”

“At his company, in Mapo-gu.”

“School?”

Hanna’s eyes flew up, loyalty causing her to quip back defiantly.  “Would be finished by now… if she could afford tuition.” 

The older woman’s eyes glittered like dark sapphires underneath the office lights.  For a brief second, Hanna wished she held her tongue.  But as she held her aunt’s gaze, she could’ve sworn she saw regret appear within its icy depths.  The moment quickly passed and the stern façade fell firmly back into place. 

“And the baby?” Solada bit out with effort, looking quickly away.  Her lips compressed into a thin line.

“Good,” Hanna cautiously replied.  She could see tension radiating from her aunt’s body and wondered if she was still in shock over the news.  “The baby is doing well, as far as I know.  Amina is nearly half-way through her pregnancy.”

Solada nodded curtly.  “Is she seeing June?  Who is her physician?” she asked, trying her best to sound aloof. 

She failed miserably. 

“I’m not sure, keun umeoni.”  Hanna responded, softening her tone.  She could see the effort the questions had cost her aunt – the show of indifference and lack of concern not fooling Hanna one bit.  “I don’t know who her obstetrician is nor do I know what hospital she will be using for delivery.  All I know is that the baby is due early December and her anemia causes her to have small bouts of dizziness at times.”

The folds of her aunt’s eyes creased with worry.

“But that was earlier on,” Hanna continued.  “I haven’t heard of any complications since.”

Unable to suppress her emotions any longer, Solada gave in.  Her shoulders dipped and her composure broke.  Her voice shook slightly.  “I need to speak to her doctor.”

Hanna stilled, troubled by the grim expression on her aunt’s face.

“It’s very important that I speak with her doctor.”

“Are you okay?”

Amina glanced over, her eyes clearing to attention.  They were sitting in his car, parked deep inside YG’s underground garage.  It was the second time he had asked that question on their short ride into work.  And dim lighting or not, she could still hear the strain of worry in his voice.  She dropped her gaze down towards the middle of his chest, the crisp white linen momentarily blinding her. 

“Neh,” Amina softly replied.  “I’m fine.”

“You didn’t have to come into work today,” said Youngbae, the lines on his face filled with concern.  He knew it was overkill, but he felt compelled to ask.  The silence and pent up expression on Amina’s face bothered him.  Based on everything that had occurred this morning, he could only surmise she was still dwelling over the will reading.  He unbuckled his seatbelt slowly, watching as his wife did the same.  “I could’ve let Yun Hee noona know you had family business to attend to.”

“I’m fine,” Amina repeated.  She locked onto Youngbae’s gaze, wishing she could somehow convince him.  “Are you fine?” she asked cheekily with a slight impish tilt of her head.  He chuckled underneath his breath just as she hoped, dispelling the oppressive air around them.  Amina smiled softly in return and looked pointedly at the large portfolio of reports that lay behind the driver’s seat.  “I’d much rather focus on work here, than delve into those estate documents.” 

“I didn’t mean that,” Youngbae interjected, the laughter in his eyes fading away.  “You don’t have to look at that now.  I meant you could go home-“

“And do what?”  Amina eyed him with frank honesty.  “Nothing?”

“You could relax.”  Youngbae watched as she brushed off his suggestion with a soft shake of her head.  “Rest.”

Amina compressed her lips together.  “I’m fine,” she reiterated more determinedly.  “I know I was upset this morning, but I’m fine now.”  She grabbed her black backpack that rested near her feet and turned to open the passenger door.

He reached for her.

Amina looked back, zeroing in on his grip on her arm.

Youngbae immediately released his hold and warily examined her pale face.  “Please don’t overtax yourself.”

A soft sigh of resignation escaped from Amina’s parted lips.  She held his gaze for a quiet second before lowering her lashes.  She dipped her head once. 

They exited the vehicle and made their way towards the front entrance of the steel glass building.  Neither one spoke – only the sound of their footsteps echoed on the concrete slab.  Amina discreetly punched in the access code and allowed him to hold the door for her. 

“I’ll pick you up after work,” Youngbae spoke up, breaking the palpable silence.  They stood in the lobby and turned towards one another. 

Amina shook her head.  “There’s no need.  I’ll go home… like I always do.”

He bit his tongue and waited for her to continue.

She looked at him.

“With Yuri?” Youngbae lightly tossed out, a second later.  Unconsciously, his body stiffened in anticipation – wondering if she would lie to him again.

Amina’s eyes shifted over his, searching.  “The bus.”

He visibly relaxed.

“If I stay late, I’ll take a cab.” 

He nodded with great reluctance, not liking the alternative, but it was better than having her walk to the bus station alone in the dark.  “I’ll bring the estate documents by later.”  Tempering his desire to pull her into his arms, Youngbae balled and flexed his fingers against his sides.  “Is there anything you need from me before I leave?”

Amina looked into his eyes, committing his features to memory.  With his album promotions in full swing, it would be days before she would see Youngbae again.  If he ever decided to come home.  Amina reluctantly shook her head no.  “Gomawo – for attending the meeting with me today.”

Youngbae inclined his head.

“It meant a lot to me,” she solemnly continued.  The sound of the elevator door chimed, signaling an end to their conversation.  “The sonogram appointment that was scheduled for next week-“

“I’ll be there.”

The interruption caused Amina to nod hesitantly, opening and closing with uncertainty.  “I was going to reschedule it… so you could attend.  I believe you have a magazine shoot during that time.”

Youngbae chewed on his inner cheek.  , he forgot. 

“I’ll call Dr. Jang’s office and let you know what other times are available.”

He nodded curtly right as he spotted Daesung exiting the lift directly behind them.  He raised a hand in greeting.

“So I guess I’ll see you later tonight then?” Amina asked, her voice trailing off as she noticed Youngbae’s preoccupation.  She followed the direction of his gaze.  When she spotted Daesung, she carefully blanked her eyes.  Her guard came up and she quickly pressed her lips into a polite smile.  Amina bowed, keeping her gaze low.  “Annyeonghasaeyo.”

Daesung stopped a few yards away and returned the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter