Chapter 56

Sun-kissed: Part II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Something was wrong.

Terribly wrong.

The second Nara rushed out of President Yang’s office, head bent with hot tears streaming down her cheeks, Amina felt it deep in her bones.  The restraint on Yun Hee’s face and the look of reproach in Sean’s eyes told her they knew exactly what had happened.  They stood in silence, not saying a word – upholding the condemned air left in Nara’s wake.  But while they seemed indifferent to it all… while it may be a normal occurrence at YG, the decision did not bode well with her.

“Excuse me,” Amina rushed out, as she swept past the pair.  She ignored Yun Hee’s half-hearted pleas to halt and entered the large upscale office.  Placing the pitcher of water on the corner of his desk, Amina intercepted President Yang’s surprised filled eyes.  She her lips nervously and began.

“Sajangnim,” Amina began, a hint of desperation in her voice.  “Please… It was a misunderstanding.”  She furrowed her eyebrows hard.  “When Youngbae-sshi and I spoke to you at the hospital, I thought I had made it clear-“

Hyun-suk nodded, cutting her explanation off.  “I appreciate you coming to her defense.”  He scrutinized her carefully.  “It tells me a great deal about your character.  That either you have a heart of gold… or that you’re a complete and utter fool.”

She flushed.

“Ultimately, however, the decision is mine.”

Amina bit her bottom lip and nodded, her eyes guarded.

“It would not be right for me to keep her on,” President Yang continued, softening his tone.  “And I know it is something that your husband and uncle would not want either.”

Uncle?  Of course… how could she forget?

“Y-yeh,” Amina quietly replied, feeling a different type of anxious pressure build inside her chest.  He was right.  The decision was out of her hands.  She told herself to not stress about it anymore.  Amina nodded again – this time, more resigned.  She motioned to leave.

“Amina.”

She stopped and turned back around.

He hesitated.  After a fleeting thought passed, President Yang cleared his throat.  “I want to personally apologize… for what happened.”

For what happened?  Amina stared at the formidable man, allowing his words to sink in.  She wasn’t completely certain as to what he was referring to.  Beyond the obvious, she and Youngbae hadn’t discussed if they would inform others about their temporary separation.  She just assumed it was something they would keep to themselves for now.  But recalling how her first encounter with Mr. YG went, she wouldn’t be surprised if he already knew.

The confused expression on Amina’s face must have struck a chord with Hyun-suk, for he looked upon her with patient eyes and continued to elaborate.  “We had another misunderstanding that occurred earlier in the year that may have contributed to this incident.  I should have trusted my gut instinct at that time.”  The corners of his mouth turned down.  “Apparently, the message I had asked to be given was not conveyed more clearly.”

Her lips parted silently.

“We usually do not make it a habit to air out our personal lives at work, but in your case – with you working so closely with Youngbae, I should have made an allowance.”

She shook her head, her eyelashes fluttering in denial.  “No one could have predicted any of this-”

“Nonetheless, I feel compelled to offer my apologies.  These types of things do not happen at my company.”

Despite her best efforts, Amina couldn’t deny that President Yang’s words were more than welcomed.  His sincere concern immediately left her feeling vulnerable.  Open.  Scared.  In that split second, she fought internally to hold it together… but it was useless.  She could already feel a small piece of her ravaged heart become soothed and comforted by his words.  His words… of all people!  She doubted he knew how much weight his words carried for her.  The acknowledgment and understanding from a respected elder was something she hadn’t experienced in a while.

In a very long while.

She straightened her posture and lowered her gaze submissively, knowing full well she needed to politely rebuff the older man’s words.  Yang Hyun-suk apologized to no one.  “Please do not apologize,” Amina asserted.  “I do not believe that there was anything sajangnim or any of the mangers could have done to prevent this from happening.”

Mr. YG inclined his head in acceptance.

“Unless you are referring to the fact that you hired me in the first place,” she gave him a small smile, watching as he reciprocated the same, “…then you owe me no apologies.  What’s done is done.”  She lowered her lashes briefly before looking back up.  “I am sure your company will be relieved when I leave in a few weeks,” Amina lamely joked, the teasing light not quite reaching her eyes.

“On the contrary,” he interjected.  “I know for certain Yun Hee will be very upset when you leave.”

Her smile dimmed as she nodded in agreement.  She would miss Yun Hee too.

“And your husband, of course.”

“Of course,” she replied automatically in a lifeless voice.

Hyun-suk regarded her silently.  “Are you sure this is what you want?”

What I want? Amina cried inside.  Did she want this?  Like a double-edged sword, the question nicked her over and over no matter which way she handled it.  She was so sure of herself last week… so ready to face the world and press ahead.  She leaned on the supporting words of encouragement that Youngbae gave to her on their flight home.  Replayed the rich timbre of his voice in her mind as she drifted off to sleep these past few nights alone.  It was the only thing that gave her strength to keep going.  To keep moving forward with her plans to improve herself and to not look back with any regrets.

And she was doing fine… until this morning.  Until she discovered her own husband standing outside their apartment door.  Despite Youngbae’s sheepish look and convincing explanation, she couldn’t erase the cautious light she had glimpsed in his eyes.  At first she thought she might have imagined it.  But as she watched him walk around the apartment, with hands clasped behind his back – not touching, just observing… it hit her.

Space.

He was giving her space, just as she had asked.  Only – he was going about it in such a literal sense.  She could see how awkward and tense he was around her.  See the struggle and effort he made to appear nonchalant.  But his actions only made her more aware of the fact that the state of their relationship hung in limbo.  Didn’t she tell him that she didn’t want things to be weird around them?  Didn’t she explain how she wanted nothing to change?  As much as she wanted to confront him then and there, she held back.  She didn’t even dare ask what was wrong because she already knew.  She knew he was taking this hard.  He was working through their separation as best as he could.

The only way he knew how.

It hurt to know that she was the source of his agony.  The last thing she wanted to do was cause him more pain.  She meant it when she told him that she would never leave.  That she was in this for life.  But as much as she tried to reassure him of it today, or as best as she could whenever the stress of her family didn’t get to her, she could still see the lingering doubt and apprehension in his eyes.  The fear that they were going to break up again… that she would truly leave him in the end.

Why did her search for happiness have to cause the love of her life so much pain?

“It’s better this way,” Amina replied with a heavy heart.  She forcefully brightened her eyes and smiled weakly.  “It’s better for all of us.”

Seunghyun glanced at the clock on the wall. 

It was only eight.  Plenty of time before he had to meet up with a casting director to discuss a potential lead role over drinks.  Just one of many roles he had been offered lately.  But with his own album in the works and the wrap-up of his latest movie, he felt a bit nervous about taking on another project.  Especially one which would require him to play a character that was out of his comfort zone – a zone that was already considered an oddity amongst the norm.  He needed some advice… and who better to ask than from his own brothers?

“Alright, that’s it for tonight.  We can go over the costume concepts, venue, and lighting details at the next meeting.”

Everyone murmured their thanks to the stage director and began gathering their belongings.  A welcome sigh escaped from Seunhyun’s lips.  It had been a grueling ninety minutes.  Not because the topic of discussion was mundane – he truly did enjoy hearing how the rest of their world tour was being put together.  No… it was because he was hungry!  Apparently no one got the memo to bring in refreshments.  Wasn’t there a house rule or societal etiquette that required someone to bring in food if a meeting was scheduled to run over an hour?

He clucked underneath his breath.

Things were going downhill around here.

Ever since their trip from Japan, it seemed things had changed.  People were more closed up, stiff lipped, and hushed.  The latest scandal at YG was mainly to blame.  It put everyone on edge – created tension where there was none.  There was awkwardness amongst the five that nobody could seem to shake off.  Even Seungri’s usual antics and inappropriate forwardness left them feeling blue.

It didn’t help that Youngbae apologized.  Well… it helped.  But the manner in which he said his heartfelt apology, that morning after, left them feeling unsettled.  It wasn’t as if the shorter man’s words lacked sincerity or genuine remorse.  Youngbae rarely said anything that wasn’t straight from the heart.  Even jokingly.  It was in his eyes and in his face.  He appeared… defeated.

Broken.

Something had happened.

Something no one dared to bring up.  He had seen it in both Jiyong and Daesung’s concerned filled expressions.  They both appeared as if they had the same burning question in mind but resolutely held back.  Instead, the pair self-proclaimed their own wrong doings and asked for forgiveness.  Youngbae simply accepted their apologies without any hesitation and tried to lighten the mood by joking about his exorcist moment.  It was a lame and poorly attempted move, but everyone gave him encouraging smiles and laughed anyway.  Soon after, they all embraced and went on with business… leaving the big fat elephant standing in the room.

Damn did she stink.

Like a dead rotting carcass, the unnamed subject decomposed steadily over the last several days.  It left its pungent odor in everyone’s nose and mouth, ruining their meals and stealing any respite.  One by one, they were called into President Yang’s office to recite their recollection of what had occurred.  And even after the inquisition, they still were questioned by their managers about what really went down.  Then after the managers, came the producers… and after the producers, came the staff. 

No one could get away. 

They all wanted to know what went down in Japan.  They wanted that closure – to bury the incident and reassure themselves that things were fine.  That things were going to be okay.  It concerned him to hear the emptiness in his dongsaeng’s laughter.  Even Youngbae’s annoyingly adorable eye smiles weren’t enough to appease his and everyone else’s worried state.  It was all too forced. 

Unnatural. 

Youngbae still showed up early for practice  Still put in extra long hours that exceeded everyone else’s repertoire.  No one could question Youngbae’s commitment and dedication to his craft.  But even as he danced… even as he looked at them straight in the eyes and spoke, they could tell.

Something was bothering Youngbae.

Seunghyun watched as President Yang left the room with the main production team, barely uttering a gruff goodbye.  A few managers lingered in groups, discussing their past weekend, while others slowly trickled out of the conference room.  From the corner of his eye, he spotted Youngbae shoving his arms inside his Fear of God bomber jacket before grabbing his snapback and backpack.  Leaving so soon?  Well not if he could help it!

“Ah… Youngbae-sshi,” Seunghyun drawled innocently. 

Youngbae looked up from his spot, h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter