Marguerite Vodka

And The Manly Girl Falls In Love

Upon arriving home from class, Shin Hye looked at Jae Beom strutting like a lady along the catwalk inside the house. She stared at her oppa from head to foot, wondering why he was acting as the model and wearing a poncho.

"Hyung, where did Noona's muse go?" Shin Hye asked Jay as she took off her shoes.

Shin Hye was talking about a certain Kim Yoon Ji, who had been Min Young's muse for some years.

"Christine?" Jay asked, referring to Yoon Ji's American name. "Na, she's at the department store. It's not only you who have to go out there and do stuff, y'know?"

Shin Hye shrugged, and went inside her room. She flopped to her bed and breathed deeply. Her Jay-hyung was one of the people that she was grateful for, because Jay understood her decision to go manly. It was not like her Min Young-noona, who was so strict and demanding. But of course, for Min Young, being a fashion designer means being resolved with one's own identity and uality, so she believed that girls should be girls.

"Tsh, might as well hang out first," Shin Hye thought. "Grrr... those students are so damn hard with themselves."

She was referring to her English class, where her students frequently clamored for her to start discussing gerunds instead of beginning with the subject-verb agreement. For her, they should learn the basics before going complicated. To relieve the tension, she got up and changed into her boyish outfits.

*****

The dusk was a bit chilly, and it was better not to ride the bus to go to the mall. Strolling down the lane in your favorite hangout can be a bit boring if done frequently, and that was what she felt. The mall, though she missed it during internship, was somewhere that was beginning to wear her down. Why not go to the park?

Her sneakers-clad feet roamed the streets up to the curb across when she passed by a familiar store in town.

Marguerite Vodka.

She scoffed and smirked at how lame and stupid Min Young had been naming her brand. It really shows how much she loved drinking margarita and vodka to even come up with a brand name like that.

A maroon evening dress was displayed, and Shin Hye stepped forward to get a glimpse of the dress. She suddenly remembered Yoo Bi, who loved anything maroon. But the memory lasted less than a minute because Shin Hye remembered some things from her past, which resulted her to be a tomboy.

When she was young, she and Min Young liked dressing up a lot, and Min Young will often doll her little sister up. Shin Hye was the happiest little girl, with an eonni who knew how to make dresses.

However, Shin Hye contracted chickenpox and destroyed the fairness of her skin. When small scars were left on her face, and when she was able to get back to school, she was being bullied and called 'ugly,' and it was such a horror for a little girl who was only seven years old! Shin Hye cried because of the trauma and the bullying, so that afternoon after class, she grabbed a pair of scissors and hacked her lustrous black mane away. It gave way to a short hair, but a bit longer than Jay's. Since then, Shin Hye believed that if she will not be beautiful as a girl, she will be handsome as a guy. She watched how her appa and her oppa, whom she now called 'hyung,' walked, much to eomma and Min Young's dismay. Min Young suddenly became alienated because she had no more little sister to share beauty secrets and crushes because Shin Hye shared her secrets and fantasies with Jay. When the two siblings would fight, Shin Hye learned to use fists.

And during middle school, Shin Hye befriended another tomboy in class, Amber. Amber knew about Shin Hye's petty fights with Jong Hyun, and the two girls would often fight Jong Hyun and his friends. To the athletic guy, being defeated by a girl is as good as being defeated with no pride left at all, so his hatred for her grew in intensity. During high school, there was no more Amber, but there was a Yoo Bi to contend with, and Jong Hyun and Shin Hye still fought. Through it all, it was Jay who treated Shin Hye's wounds, and Min Young felt distant to her little sis. When Min Young was in college, she hired a muse named Kim Yoon Ji, who later became her best friend and confidante. But Shin Hye never liked Yoon Ji at all because she was trying so hard to get Jay's attention.

When Min Young finally opened her brand during internship, many big stores signed her up to sell her clothes. And when she graduated, she was able to buy a space for herself in order to put up her botique. She named the store Marguerite Vodka because she liked margarita and vodka.

But for Shin Hye, the brand name was something that will always remind her that she and her sister had never been close.

"Marguerite Vodka."

Shin Hye turned around to see Lee Jung Shin smiling with interest at the maroon evening gown. She frowned because it seems like the gay man appeared out of nowhere whenever she least expected it.

"Johahae?" he asked her.

"Ani! Shirheo!" Shin Hye retorted, crossing her arms. "I don't like dresses and skirts, remember?"

"Geureom, why are you staring at the dress?" Jung Shin asked playfully.

"Pfff.. that store belongs to nae noona," Shin Hye explained.

Jung Shin cracked a laugh, forgetting that Shin Hye can go overboard sometimes.

"But you see, most of my designer clothes are from Marguerite Vodka," Jung Shin drawled ily as he twirled around. "I am fashionable!"

"Stop making my noona rich," Shin Hye told the Math teacher.

"But your noona is also helping with the family expenses," Jung Shin replied as he held Shin Hye's hand.

Shin Hye looked at him in horror as he brought her hand to his lips for a kiss. After the kiss, Jung Shin looked at Shin Hye in interest as she pulled her hand away and wiped it with her pants.

"Being gay is not contagious, nae jagiya," Jung Shin drawled again.

"Pffff," Shin Hye scoffed.

But Jung Shin was adamant, so he pulled her hand and led her inside the store.

****

"Annyeong....?" Min Young started politely, but when she saw Shin Hye, "...haseyo?"

"Noona, I did not go in with my own free will," Shin Hye explained.

Min Young mused to see her sister's companion, but immediately frowned. "Aish, you have a girlfriend?"

"Ani!" Shin Hye frowned. "This is my co-teacher..."

"Lee Jung Shin-iminda," Jung Shin introduced himself like a playboy as he held Min Young's hand. Then he kissed it.

"Awww.... such a sweet gentleman..." Min Young crooned while Shin Hye stuck out her tongue in disgust.

"Would you mind if Noona will let me look at some dresses, perhaps?" Jung Shin asked.

"Ne.... ne..." Min Young crooned.

Shin Hye crossed her arms in disgust. What is she doing here anyway? She can just go out and leave the two alone. As she was about to step out, Jung Shin held her hand again and gripped it tight before caressing her thumb.

"Anio, Park-seonsaengnim," Jung Shin said politely even though he was a bit harassing her. "You will be my muse."

"MWO????" Shin Hye asked him in disbelief.

"Oh well, I guess it is good for nae yeodongsaeng to wear my clothes," Min Young perked up.

"Shirheo! And Noona, I am your namdongsaeng," Shin Hye replied hotly.

"Yeodongsaeng," Min Young insisted.

Jung Shin went to a rack full of dresses, and he picked one, a pink-and white waist-bound mini dress with flowery prints.

"EWWWWWW!!!!!" Shin Hye growled. "And you are gonna wear that?"

"Says who?" Jung Shin smirked as he put the dress in front of her.

He pushed her to the dressing unit, much to her dismay, but Min Young assisted Jung Shin. It was she who painstakingly dolled up her sister again to make the teacher wear the dress.

"Take off your sneakers!"

"Shirheo! AHHHHHHH!!!!!"

"Lee-ssaem, can you hand me that pair of red pumps and that fluffy head pin with the feathers please?"

"Ne...." Jung Shin replied oblingingly.

It took Min Young almost thirty minutes to beautify the stubborn Shin Hye, and finally, she pushed her little sis out of the dressing unit. Jung Shin gaped happily as he looked at the tomboy wearing a pink dress, red heels, and feather head accessories. Even her short hair looked elegant with her soft girly face. Her lips were tainted with some pink gloss.

"You look extremely gorgeous, nae jagiya," Jung Shin told her adoringly. "Min Hyuk was quite right when he said that you will look pretty with a dress."

"Stand up straight!" Min Young said as she punched Shin Hye's back.

"AYA!!!!!"

Jung Shin pulled Shin Hye and twirled her around, causing her to slip along with her heels.

"You need practice, my darling," Jung Shin said gayly. "And Yong Hwa-hyung will fall in love with you."

"Grrrr... Just who is Jung Yong Hwa?" Shin Hye asked angrily.

"Is that some handsome teacher too?" Min Young asked eagerly.

"Ne, Noona," Jung Shin said. "He is someone who I know will turn Shin Hye-ssi into a proper lady."

And Shin Hye got angrier as Jung Shin winked at her naughtily.

"You had done so much damage today, Lee Jung Shin," Shin Hye growled angrily.

Jung Shin was faster. He grabbed his phone and took a picture of Shin Hye in her cute outfit. Of course, he did not have a crush on her. He just fancied her like a cat fancies yarns. And he can just look at the picture anytime he wanted to have something to amuse himself, or even to annoy Jong Hyun, or to make Min Hyuk fall in love.

"Mwo hae????" Shin Hye asked as she tried to grab his phone.

"Nothing," he lied. "I just think Min Young-noona is elegant."

Min Young ran to him and kissed him on the cheek, but Shin Hye found it too disgusting. She got back inside the dressing room to change back into her boyish outfit.

"My, my..." Jung Shin remarked. "Am I the happiest guy or what?"

Min Young smiled happily as she nodded in agreement.

"Park Shin Hye... the new muse of Marguerite Vodka," she told Jung Shin.

 

~~~~