The Gentleman

And The Manly Girl Falls In Love

That lunch time, a guy with chinky and smiling eyes entered the faculty room. He greeted his fellow teachers amiably, and the female teachers crooned like he was a total darling.

"Oh, Gu-seonsaengnim, gwaenchanheuseyo?" he asked an older teacher, who often suffered gouts.

"Ah... anio... geunde, Kang-seonsaengnim is here, so I am all right now," the older teacher spoke.

She was extremely fond of the chinky-eyed teacher who looked like the son of the former. And the young teacher liked the older one, who became his mother figure in the school. Other young female teachers liked to cuddle him if they were not teachers at all, and the male teachers, young and old, liked him for being polite and kind.

"Annyeong, Kang-ssaem?" Jung Shin smiled as he waved his hand prettily.

"Be polite, Lee-seonsaengnim," the other teacher replied. "I jangsoga hakgyomnida (This place is a school)."

Jung Shin flipped his long hair, which, oddly, did not raise an ire from among the teachers but Park Kahi. He did not tie it like the way Jong Hyun did.

"Ah, cham, we have a new teacher," Jung Shin said as he patted the other teacher by the shoulder, and he motioned his face to the new one next to him.

Shin Hye looked up to see the other teacher smiling at her, so she stood up and bowed.

"Kang Min Hyuk-imnida, mannaseo bangawoyo," Min Hyuk introduced himself politely. "I teach Science."

"Park Shin Hye-imnida, bangapseumnida," she replied to Min Hyuk. "I teach English."

Min Hyuk's heart suddenly pulsated irregularly, for he developed a crush on her.

"Park-ssaem looks like a boy," he said. "She could look pretty dressed as a girl."

"That is so rude of Kang-seonsaengnim," Shin Hye replied. "Namjayeyo, huh?"

Min Hyuk, instead of being insulted, smiled sweetly and said in his gentle voice.

"I did not mean to be rude, but Park-ssaem has a really pretty face, geureohcho?"

"Ne, majayo," Jung Shin said in agreement as he tapped his own skin.

"Ya, Jung Shin-ah, bae gopa, huh?" Jong Hyun told Jung Shin as he held his hungry belly. When he saw Shin Hye staring at him in contempt, he drawled out. "Wae?"

Shin Hye pursed his lips at him and glared.

"Ja, ja, ja... do not fight, huh?" Jung Shin sweetly crooned to them. "We are teachers and must be good examples to our students."

Shin Hye glared at the carefree long-haired male teacher before glaring back at Jong Hyun, who mouthed some curses at her.

"Will it be all right for Park-seonsaengnim to eat lunch with me?" Min Hyuk asked. "It seems she is not in good terms with Lee Jong Hyun-seonsaengnim."

"You're right about that," Jong Hyun said as he pulled Jung Shin by the arm.

"Tto bwayo (See you later)," Jung Shin crooned melodically as he waved his fingers prettily.

Shin Hye puffed some hair off her face and pouted. "He's so gay."

"Anio, geunyang geureohke-yeyo," Min Hyuk explained cheerfully that Jung Shin's just like that.

He extended a hand to her, but she did not take it. She's a man, after all.

"Let's go," she said stiffly.

Her rudeness did not get to Min Hyuk, who instantly fell head over heels for her.

****

At the cafeteria, the students flocked around Min Hyuk to get his attention, but he was just game with it. The girls, most especially, liked him for being cute and kind, and they wished that he will teach them in all subjects.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Seosaengnim?" the students greeted Shin Hye, who was walking beside Min Hyuk.

"Annyeonghaseyo?" she replied.

"Waaaa... a flower boy teacher," the girls crooned.

Shin Hye smirked in delight, but Min Hyuk corrected them that Shin Hye's a female teacher.

"Eh????" the students asked.

But some developed a slight crush on Shin Hye, both the girls and the boys.

As for the girls, "Awwww.... I wish she were a guy."

As for the boys, "She's a girly man.... I like her...."

Shin Hye suddenly felt uncomfortable with the reception she was getting from the students, hoping that they just look at her as a man altogether. From afar, Jong Hyun tsked self-righteously as he enviously looked at Shin Hye being hoarded with girls. He had the attention of the girls too, you know.

"What a show-off," he said in disdain.

"Are you envious that the girls went to her?" Jung Shin asked mockingly after theatrically sipping the soup from his spoon.

It irritated Jong Hyun even more. "Ya! Stop being so gay!"

"Gay, that I am not," Jung Shin replied with a taunting smile. "But oh, girls like me too!"

Jong Hyun enviously looked back at the girl who became instantly famous even before starting her own class.

"Ahhh, but only a certain Jung Yong Hwa will change her, I bet," Jung Shin sighed contentedly.

"Change her, my eye!" Jong Hyun scoffed. "It does not matter how many times she will change. Yong Hwa-hyung will never look at her."

"Ah, but you see, he has to change Shin Hye-ssi," Jung Shin said to Jong Hyun. "So that I will not have a rival to Kahi-noona."

Jong Hyun munched angrily. It does not matter to him anymore who will change Shin Hye or if ever she changes at all. To him, she is just an eyesore.

****

"Kang-ssaem, I have a question, if you do not mind," Shin Hye said to Min Hyuk. "Who's Jung Yong Hwa?"

Min Hyuk looked at her curiously before smiling.

"Ah, that is one teacher we have who had been sent to Vienna to study more about classical music," Min Hyuk explained. "Why the sudden interest?"

"Anio..." Shin Hye replied defensively. "That sissy teacher just told me about him, pfff..."

"Jung-ssaem won't be home until next month, so a substitute teacher teaches Music this month," Min Hyuk explained.

"Music?" Shin Hye asked, eyes wide. "They...they teach Music here?"

Min Hyuk nodded.

"Our school is different from other schools," Min Hyuk said. "Though we are not breeding kids who will grow up to be idol stars."

"Geurae..." Shin Hye sighed.

As they continued to eat, Min Hyuk continued to shyly look at Shin Hye, who was in deep thought about Jung Yong Hwa. From the faraway table, Jong Hyun was still nursing his anger while looking at her and eating his lunch, with Jung Shin looking amusingly at Shin Hye.

 

~~~~