Over Cotton Balls And Antiseptics

And The Manly Girl Falls In Love

Yong Hwa lay the limp Shin Hye on the bed. He went to the first aid kit on top of her cabinet. Of course, her room has a first aid kit, as Yong Hwa always made sure all rooms have.

He sat on her bed and held her hand. Shin Hye suddenly stiffened at the touch, excited and scared at the same time. It was her second time to be alone with him but she had never been with a guy in a dimly lit room. She and Jae Beom had never been in a room together even if they were the best of siblings, and she and Jong Hyun had never even slept in alleys together.

Shin Hye felt she had turned gay, and hoped that Yong Hwa will not molest her.

*Pak!

"Aya!!!!" Shin Hye screamed.

She realized Yong Hwa hit her wrist.

"Why are you so tense?" he asked her dryly. "I cannot attend to your wounds."

Yong Hwa stood up in exasperation and the lights properly. Shin Hye stood up and swept the fringes off her face. When Yong Hwa turned around, he saw a really big bump on Shin Hye's forehead. He gently went to her and tried to touch the bump.

"Someone headbutt me," she sheepishly replied.

"Jong Hyun's not doing it to you, right?" he asked.

"Jong Hyun lets his fist and legs fly, but he never butts me with his head," Shin Hye said. "You know how delicate he can be when it comes to his looks. Silly vain Jong Hyun."

Yong Hwa smirked. So, the medical disaster can be as vain as the otaku?

"Jamkkanman," he told her before leaving the room.

****

Yong Hwa placed an ice pack to her head and instructed her to keep the pack on while he tended her wounds. The way he tended it was so light and nice that the antiseptic did not sting at all.

"You treat me the way my Jae Beom-hyung did," Shin Hye told Yong Hwa as she looked at him into his eyes.

"Geurae?" he replied. "Despite you being always in trouble, I am glad that your hyung is really kind."

"Tsh, it is my noona who is evil," Shin Hye said.

"Min Young-ssi?" Yong Hwa asked. "She's cool."

"Ani," she retorted.

"She is," he insisted. "So stop insisting."

"I insist she is evil," Shin Hye snapped. "She's my elder sister."

"Arasseo," Yong Hwa said dryly before getting back to treating her wounds.

Silence fell upon the room, and it made Shin Hye awkward. What was Yong Hwa thinking? She really found him odd and mysterious, like she wanted to know what he is feeling at a certain time.

"Jeo, about the kiss," Shin Hye started.

"And what about the kiss?" he asked nonchalantly.

Shin Hye's heart felt it was torn to pieces. Even though the kiss was an accident, a part of her heart was being given to that kiss. And him acting like he did not care was like throwing a piece of her heart away.

Ouch.

"You're my first kiss," Yong Hwa admitted. "Though I don't count it as a deliberate one coz it was an accident."

Shin Hye wanted to hit him with her fist, but it was true. It was an accident after all, and he probably thought it would just be brushed off like dust.

It hurt her a lot. So much.

"Can I stop now?" she asked him, referring to the ice pack. If that question was the only way to divert her attention.

"Geurae," he said dryly without looking at her.

Shin Hye placed the ice pack near her pillow, then slowly, gently, awkwardly raised her hand to his face.

"Mwo?" Yong Hwa asked as he felt Shin Hye's fingers on his cheeks.

Shin Hye looked at him with desire, but the fear of what he might be thinking told her to back off a bit. This is why she never got any lover at all, not even Yoo Bi. Coz she can be so direct.

"Mwo?" he asked again, wondering why she was looking at her with... some feelings.

Shin Hye swept the fringes off his eyes, and tucked his long hair behind his ears.

"You look better if you cut your hair," she told him tenderly, the same tender voice that Jong Hyun used on her earlier that evening.

Yong Hwa nodded and finished treating her wounds. After that, he shook his fringes so he could see her clearly.

"Matda," he said casually. "I think I should get a haircut now."

But Shin Hye wanted to see him with long hair. She wanted to kiss him and caress him and hug him and tousle that long hair. Like Yong Hwa's the girl and Shin Hye's the guy?

"Long hair is kinda getting messy already," Yong Hwa said. "And my shampoo gets used up so easily. What a waste."

Shin Hye was crestfallen. All her slight advances, he did not take notice.

"You can sleep now," Yong Hwa told her. "We will have another day tomorrow."

Before Yong stood up, Shin Hye held his wrist and scooted forward. Yong Hwa looked at her in curiosity, his face asking her what's the matter. But there were no more words for Shin Hye. She pulled him close to him, wrapping him to her embrace.

She wanted to say... she liked him... a lot.

But she was too damn afraid of rejection. Too hurt, like the way Yoo Bi "rejected" her.

And there was no more room for rejection.

"Gomawo," was all she could muster to say.

Yong Hwa nodded and wrapped his arms tightly around her, patting her back lightly.

"Geurae... geurae," he whispered. "Hyung is just here, right, dongsaengi?"

And the last word was more than enough to prick her heart and send sadness down her eyes as tears.

 

~~~~