Yeah, Whatever...

And The Manly Girl Falls In Love

"Get home immediately after school," the eldest of the Park siblings, Min Young, told their youngest, as she washed the dishes.

"Yeah, Noona," Shin Hye said as she wiped the tip of her nose with her thumb.

Min Young, an aspiring fashion designer, cringed. How come her little sis was growing up to be a tomboy when the three of them, including the middle sibling, Jae Beom aka Jay, lived in the same house? The youngest should have imitated the demure and girly ways of her elder sister instead of the rough and manly ways of her elder brother.

"Why are you calling me 'Noona'?" was Min Young's irate response. "You should call me 'Eonni.'"

"Yeah, fine...whatever..." Shin Hye drawled.

Min Young fumed as Jay snortled. Their yeodongsaeng was transforming to be a namdongsaeng instead. Shin Hye walked like a guy, and dressed and acted like one, and it got Min Young frustrated. When Shin Hye shut the door close, the little pad shook a bit.

"ARGHHHH!!!! What in the world???" Min Young asked in exaggeration.

"She just takes after me, that's why," Jay smirked.

****

School days for a college student was hell, but not for Shin Hye. She majored in English because she wanted to be an English teacher. If given the chance, she wanted to go to America and marry Taylor Swift. She also liked her course because there were a lot of pretty girls and a few guys, so she could spend the entire day dreaming about the smartest girl in class, Lee Yoo Bi. Shin Hye's bestie, Amber Liu, went back to Taiwan, so she did not have any bestfriend to share her different crushes.

No matter how much she wanted to get Yoo Bi's attention, the cute girl never looked at her. Of course, Yoo Bi did not have eyes for Shin Hye. Yoo Bi liked Jung Jin Woon, another English major student from the next class.

Though her efforts always went to waste, Shin Hye never stopped trying acting cool and all when it comes to Yoo Bi. And that afternoon, as she went out of the campus to go to the nearest basketball court, she saw Yoo Bi again.

"Ah....nae jagiya..." she crooned.

"Ya!" a voice cut her thoughts to pieces.

Shin Hye looked to see her nemesis since middle school, Lee Jong Hyun. Jong Hyun was tall, lean, a bit muscular, and sported his shaggy long hair up to the shoulders. Meanwhile, Shin Hye sported short hair that she was easily mistaken for a guy. Shin Hye hated Jong Hyun's guts to death because Jong Hyun was also after Yoo Bi since last month, and the two had been brawling all over the metro. But eversince middle school, they were brawling and fighting about almost anything, from territories to girlfriends.

When Shin Hye and Jong Hyun get together, you expect it to be like there was going to be a brewing gang war.

"Why are you in my territory, huh?" Jong Hyun snarled.

"Hah, as if there's a name around here," Shin Hye replied.

Jong Hyun boxed his palm with his fist, while Shin Hye crunched her knuckles. She hadn't had box him for a long time, and this was gonna be another round of good boxing. Jong Hyun threw his fist at her, and Shin Hye's face received it. Her fair face got bruised with Jong Hyun's metallic fists, but she would not take it. She staggered as she got up, and kicked Jong Hyun on the stomach, who got hit as he defended himself with another round of flying fists. Their boxing session lasted for some good fifteen minutes until a police car passed by. The police saw the rumble and shouted at the boxing students.

"Ya!"

Jong Hyun and Shin Hye panicked as they saw the police going out of the patrol car, so they hastily ran for their lives and jumped from that street to the fence of the other street.

That was how the two of them bonded, but they bonded as enemies.

****

The two of them continued their petty fights that sometimes led to some one-man-to-many fights, with Jong Hyun bringing along some of his friends. However, during their third year in college (Jong Hyun took another course), Shin Hye was so busy that she was seen most of the time at the library, studying. But of course, she also wanted to impress Yoo Bi, which was why she was also trying to study to be at par with the intelligent girl's standards. During their teacher internship, Shin Hye also worked hard to earn excellent grades. But alas, Yoo Bi accepted Jin Woon's love, leaving Shin Hye heartbroken during their college graduation ceremony. For Shin Hye, her heart was unrequited again.

****

When Shin Hye was already qualified to teach, she applied to a prestigious high school where the students were studious and bright and industrious. She felt it an accomplishment that her students-to-be were going to be enrolled in prestigious colleges and universities. However, the principal did not know what to make of her because Shin Hye dressed up as a guy, for the female teachers wore uniforms with skirts while she wore the uniform for male teachers.

"What can I do?" Shin Hye asked. "I am a man."

"Namja?" the principal ed. "But you put 'yeoja' in your in your biodata."

Shin Hye fumed because she hated to explain herself. Physically, she was female, but mentally and emotionally, she was male, and that was according to her logic.

"Forget about it," the principal sighed. "Anyway, you will be meeting all the teachers at the faculty room today, so I will take you there."

Shin Hye followed the principal to the faculty room, for the principal had his own office. The principal introduced her to the principal when a teacher exclaimed.

"PARK SHIN HYE????!!!!"

Shin Hye looked up in shock to see Jong Hyun as one of the teachers.

"N...neo!" she told him rudely in panic as she pointed a finger at him. "Yeogiseo wae? Why in the world are you here?"

All the teachers, including the principal, were stunned at the two teachers bickering. The two teachers were about to have a riot, and the others were about to bring the two away when the principal shouted at the top of his voice.

"GEUMAN HAE (STOP IT)!" the principal ordered in banmal, much to the embarrassment of the other teachers.

Shin Hye and Jong Hyun stopped boxing each other at the order, and the principal sighed.

"Park-seonsaengnim and Lee-seongsaengnim, I don't want this to happen ever again!" the principal said. "I want you both to behave as teachers should. Arasseoyo?"

"Ne... geureohseumnida," the two replied lowly.

But deep inside, each wanted to box the other.

"Lee-seonsaengnim is handling Korean literature," the principal explained.

Shin Hye snickered, making the principal boil in anger.

"Mwoya!"

"Mr. Principal, how can someone," Shin Hye said with a mocking tone as she flipped Jong Hyun's pony-tailed hair. "Be accepted as a teacher here?"

"Hmph! I decide!" the principal sneered. And to Jong Hyun, "And Park-seonsaengnim is English teacher."

"A cross-dresser like her?" Jong Hyun sneered. "Huh!"

"LEE JONG HYUN!" the principal shouted.

"Gyojangnim, please relax," a tantalizing, fun-loving, teasing, and mocking voice spoke among the crowd of teachers.

The principal breathed heavily as one lean male teacher stood up and smiled at all of them.

"Lee Jung Shin-ssaem, I don't know how I can live in this school without you!" the principal said. "You can already be my sphygmomanometer."

"Oh, but I don't measure blood pressure, Gyojangnim," Jung Shin said with a merry voice. "Relax."

The principal nodded and left the faculty room. Thank goodness for Lee Jung Shin. All the other teachers went back to their seats and scorned the other two teachers. Jung Shin looked at Shin Hye with interest as he approached her.

"Lee Jung Shin-imnida," he greeted. "Bangapseumnida. I teach Math."

"Park Shin Hye-imnida, bangawoyo," Shin Hye greeted back.

"Both of you can really exchange bodies, y'know," Jong Hyun taunted them, much to Shin Hye's ire.

"Oh, but you see, I am simply a guy who loves fashion. I may teach Math, but that does not mean I will give up my individuality," Jung Shin said smoothly before giving a wink at Shin Hye.

"Tsh, you are only saying that because you've got soft and beautiful long hair," Jong Hyun told him. "Give her some of your..."

And Shin Hye punched him hard, making Jong Hyun fall to the floor.

"OHHHHHH!!!!" the other teachers gaped.

"Huh! Sweet revenge!" Shin Hye said.

She was smiling enthusiastically when her vision noticed Jung Shin's gaze at her...like he was studying her or something.

"You are violent, and I had never seen Lee-ssaem...er... Jong Hyun-hyung this violent!" was Jung Shin's remark in his mesmerizing voice.

He twirled his finger before pointing it at Shin Hye.

"Oh...and your cross-dressing ways got me interested," he said.

"Don't fall in love with me," Shin Hye threatened.

"No one will fall in love with you, Park-ssaem," a teacher remarked. "You are too boyish and too violent."

Shin Hye hated the other teacher's remark that she was about to go punch her had it not been for Jung Shin's arm.

"Hush now, my dear..." he crooned. "I will not fall in love with you, you know. I am a guy, and though I sport long hair, I like women like Park Kahi-seonsaengnim."

He said as he pointed at the other teacher who insulted Shin Hye.

"Keep it to yourself, Lee Jung Shin," Kahi remarked coldly before returning to her books.

"Ah, but you see, Park-ssaem is one tough cookie whom no other guy nor girl could stand...well, except for me."

Shin Hye already hated Jung Shin's guts. She hated how he could be so carefree when she was wanting to give Jong Hyun, who was still lying on the floor, some beating.

"I will introduce you later to our Science teacher, Kang Min Hyuk," he told her. "You should be good to him, you know."

"Wae?" she asked rudely.

"Oh, but that is not the manners of a teacher," Jung Shin said. "He's one good fellow, and he deserves your respect."

Jung Shin smiled mysteriously as he tapped his lips, making Shin Hye angrier.

"Well, that place over there is your table, and we are neighbors," Jung Shin said pointed at one corner.

Shin Hye marched over to the other table, and smiled that she and Jong Hyun are not even seatmates. Jong Hyun got up from the floor, and staggered to his seat. He glared at her and cussed at her.

"Hmmm... maybe only one man can change you, nae jagiya," Jung Shin crooned.

"J...jagiya?!!!!" Shin Hye ed, making the other teachers frown at her.

"Are you even a teacher?" Jung Shin asked her coolly.

"And who would that be?" Shin Hye asked. "That Kang Min Hyuk?"

"Ohh... tsk tsk tsk... don't drop his name like some hot potato. He is one good chap, I tell you," Jung Shin warned sweetly. "The one who could just change you is a certain Jung Yong Hwa..."

"Jung Yong Hwa nugu?" Shin Hye asked him bluntly, but Jung Shin only smiled at her before returning to his syllabus.

That morning, Shin Hye's brain ached as its contents stirred themselves. Just who is Jung Yong Hwa? And why did Jung Shin say that only that Yong Hwa could change her?

 

~~~~