Chapter 7

Cold as ice

BOM

"Good morning Bom!"

I was standing in the doorstep about to press the doorbell when Seungri suddenly opened the door taking me by surprised. I glanced at him then to the luggages he was carrying on both of his hands. "you need help?" i asked, noticing it was quite heavy. 

"no, it's okay. i can manage." he said, carefully marching outside. I followed him to the red volvo car, "Is Ji yong going somewhere?" I asked, watching him put the bags inside the trunk.

"Yeah, he's going to Gangwon-do tonight." He responded, closing the trunk. 

"tonight?" i glanced back trying to look for him but i couldn't find even a shadow of him lurking around the house. Seungri must have noticed me, "he's already at work having a meeting." 

"what about mi young?" i asked.  

"the kid is already with her grandparents. They already went at their vacation house in Gangwon-do earlier this morning."  

I nodded and then a thought suddenly sinked in my mind. If mi young was not around and Ji yong would be following them, then that means i don't have to work. I secretly liked the idea of it until i heard Seungri's phone began to ring. 

"Oh. Ji yong hyung." 

I watched him intently as he talked to Ji yong on the phone. For a moment he looked serious talking about business stuffs. "alright i'll go there immediately." he said, but before hanging up on the phone i noticed his eyes suddenly were focused on me. 

"Yes, she's here already." he said. 

I furrowed my brow not really knowing what they were talking about. "alright, don't worry about it. i'll tell that to her." 

"what was that?" i asked, as soon as he ended the call. 

"Ji yong told me that you need to go to the hotel." 

"and why?" i asked. 

Seungri sighed, "well first, because he's your boss so you have to follow him. Second, No one's inside the house so what are you going to do there alone and third, he just told me to inform you about your bag which you accidentally left in his suite." 

i gasped, remembering my bag. "Oh yes, i need to get it from him." 

After putting all the luggage and checking the house once again, Seungri and i went to the hotel. 

 

For about a second, i was reluctant to get inisde the hotel's vicinity until Seungri probably noticed that i was spacing out in front of the glass door. "Bom, let's go." he said, looking curiously at me. i nodded, following behind him. When we entered the lobby, my head was looking at the different directions checking if Dara was there but fortunately i didn't see her. I let out a sighed of relief when we stepped inside the elevator and proceeded to the meeting room where Ji yong was having a meeting with his employees who were all focused on him.

"sit here for a moment bom." Seungri said, placing a chair behind the door. from my seat, i could totally see Ji yong standing just across me. He looked serious, a little bit stressed and seemed like he didn't get enough sleep last night. I watched him talk and talk about some hotel stuffs which i didn't understand. It wasn't that i didn't understand it, it was because his face was too destructing.But while i was looking at him, our eyes suddenly met and i felt like i was paralyzed by his gazed. Although he was talking, his eyes were focused on mine like he was trying to read what was on my mind. When i felt my cheeks flushed, I gulped nervously then forced myself to look at another direction. 

After the meeting everyone dispersed and went out of the meeting room. Only Ji yong, Seungri and i were left inside. "why were you absent yesterday?" Ji yong asked, as soon as everybody left.

"My uncle was sick and i had to take care of him." I lied. I knew he was going to ask that question so before i went to work earlier this morning i decided to come up with a good excuse that seemed convincing. Ji yong seemd to take the bait and didn't ask further questions which made it easier for me. I didn't want him to know that a loan shark barged in my house yesterday and tried to harrass me. 

"Is he okay now?" he asked, curiously. 

"yes." i responded.

"good, because i need you to come with me." 

"what? come with you?" i asked, confused. 

Ji yong sat at the edge of the table, glancing at me. He looked really tired.

"We're going to Gangwon-do tonight." 

My eyes grew wider and for a moment i regret telling to him that my uncle was really okay. 

"why do i--"

"i need someone to take care of mi young. and besides, we're just going to stay there for 3 days."

"3 days?!" 

he furrowed his brow, "why do you look surprised?" 

"i thought it's just for tonight? will i get a benefit from it?" i asked.

"benefit?" he asked. Seungri who was cleaning up the folder on the desks suddenly looked at me like there was something wrong with what i said. A smile was playing on his lips. 

"yeah like an additional bonus for my salary? i mean, i deserve an overtime pay." i explained, then Ji yong smiled. "Aren't you too demanding for a nanny?"

"just stating my rights." I shrugged. 

Seungri chuckled, "what a brainy nanny we got here." 

"don't worry about it." ji yong responded, sighing. He began massaging his temples as if i had given him an headache. "i'll double your salary." 

"okay." i paused, "can i get my bag?" i added. 

"It's still in my suite but let's go first to the restaurant and eat. I still haven't had my breakfast yet and it's already lunch time so i'm really hungry." he said. 

Sometimes i didn't know what kind of creature was living in my stomach that the word eat suddenly made my tummy produced a loud, weird and familiar growling sound of a person who seemed like starving for days. I glared at Ji yong who suddenly chuckled at me. "You treat me." i said, marching out of the meeting room trying to look not embbarrassed. 

JIYONG 

"could you suggest a good place to eat? i'm so sick of the foods here in the hotel's restaurant." I said, turning to look at bom. We were in the elevator on our way to the parking lot. 

"There is this small restaurant not far away from here but i don't think you'll like it knowing your taste about fancy things." she said, mocking me.

"and what do you mean by fancy things?" I asked.

"well, rich people likes fancy things like luxuries."

"and you think i'm like that?"

she turned to look at me, eyeing me from head to toe. "yes."

i smirked suddenly getting challenged by her, "where is that restaurant you are talking about? let's eat there."

After getting off the elevator, we headed towards my car. "what are you doing?" she asked. 

i looked at her confused, "unlocking my car?" 

"seriously?" she chuckled. "i told you it's not that far away from here Ji yong and besides, there's no way you can park your car once you get there i'm telling you." 

I refrained myself from the car and glanced at her. Sometimes i wonder how could she do this to me. She was a nanny and yet, why do i feel so small to her. 

"Alright. Let's walk." I said, sighing. 

Park bom was right. It was just very near the hotel and there was no place to park my car. The restaurant was not a fancy restaurant. In fact it was just a small tented restaurant like the one in korean dramas. We entered inside and it was packed with a lot of people eating and drinking together. It was noisy and kind of hot inside.

"you don't like it here." my attention was suddenly caught by bom.

"no- it's-it's not it's just a little..."

"you're stuttering and you're frowning. that means you don't like it." she said, pointing a finger at me.

"No, i like it here.." i paused, "and i don't like it here either." I added, sighing.

Bom smirked as if she was enjoying what she was seeing. Suddenly she tugged the sleeves of my suit and pulled me as we walked towards the vacant table  in the corner. i felt like i was kid being guided by a mother. "there's too much noise over there. it's much better here." she said, sitting. I sat across her.

"Ahjumma!" she yelled, raising her hand. I looked over my shoulder and a chubby woman holding a paper and a pen suddenly came towards us. "omo! what a handsome man we got here. Is she your boyfriend bom?" she asked. I heard bom snorted and just shook her head.

"I'm her boss and she's not my type." i smirked, looking at her. Bom rolled her eyes, "what do you want to eat . . . boss?" she asked.

I shrugged, "what do you usually eat here? i'll just get that."

"are you sure?" bom glanced at me then to the chubby waitress. A smile was playing on their lips. "okay." 

My mouth literally formed on "o" when the waitress placed our orders on the table one by one. "steamed pork with vegetables, spicy chicken, kimchi fried rice, steamed egg casserole, spicy rice cake and fish cake soup."

"these are the usual foods you always eat here?" i asked, looking at the woman who was eyeing the foods in front of us. she nodded, eyes still focused on the dishes. "would there be anything else?" the waitress asked. I shook my head then turned my attention to bom again. We began to eat deliciously and though we were not talking to each other i could tell that we were both enjoying it. "so delicious." i muttered, shoving a spoonful of kimchi fried rice. I was actually surprised that i prefer these foods than those in our hotel. 

"do you like it?" bom asked, chewing. I was actually quite taken aback that she asked me first and that she started to make a conversation with me.

"Yes. do you usually eat here?" 

"Yeah but i'm always with my uncle." 

I took another bite of my spicy chicken before i asked bom something that i was curious about. "do you only live with your uncle?" 

she stopped eating, her eyes focused on  her plate. "yes"  

"what about your parents?" 

"they're dead." 

"i'm sorry." 

"i don't mind. It's been a long time." she shrugged. "I guess Mi young is already looking for you now that you're not with her." she said, changing the topic. I shrugged, smiling. "I don't think so. everytime my daughter is with my parents she tends to forget me easily. Like last night, when i asked her to sleep with me she turned me down and went to her grandparents room despite that i promised her that i will buy her toys and cupcakes. She didn't even gave me a good night kiss or a good night hug. And when my parents was going to leave for Gangwon-do, Mi young knew about it and she was crying early in the morning wanting to come with them." 

"so you mean, you didn't plan to go to Gangwon-do?" 

"No, i still have a lot of work to do bom. I can't just leave like that but Mi young was bawling and kept on insisting to come with them so finally, i agreed." 

"I think it's also good that you take a break from your work especially now that your parents are here. You don't see them often do you?" 

I shook my head, "no i don't and that's also the reason why i decided to come. To have fun with them and to give my daughter time." I smiled. 

"you are a really good father." Bom smiled, taking me by surprise. 

"Thank you" i said, eyeing her. I was just staring at her when i suddenly noticed a rice stuck on her cheeks.

"rice." i said, pointing at her. 

"what?" she asked, clueless

"you have a rice stuck on you right cheek." i said. 

"oh." she muttered, messily wiping her face with her hand. "is it gone already?" she asked. I chuckled when i noticed that the rice was still there. Unknowingly, my hand reached for her face and removed it for her. my fingers slightly touched her soft skin and for a moment, i thought bom would shove my hand away but no, she just glanced at me.

"what are you doing? you should have just told where it is." she frowned.

I sighed. "can't you just thank me?"

"your hands are dirty." 

"Oh no!" i gasped.

"what?" she asked.

"you're right. i forgot to wash my hands after peeing." 

"Ji yong that's gross!" she exclaimed, hurriedly wiping her face with a napkin. 

I laughed at her reaction. "just kidding bom, just kidding." 

after our lunch, the two of us headed back to the hotel. Bom went to the suite to get her bag while i made my way to the lounge to meet Dara who just texted me that she was going to tell me something important. I saw her sitting on the couch and sat beside her. 

"Ji yong." she said, turning her attention to me. I noticed a worried look on her face. 

"what's wrong?" 

"I'm so sorry." she said, shaking her head.

"why? what happened?"  I asked. 

"My manager told me that a reporter called her asking her if we are dating. Of course she denied it already but i'm worried that an article might come out soon and so i came here in advance to warn you and say sorry about this. I didn't mean to include in this mess If only i listened to my manager and didn't go out last night i bet they wouldn't see us and you will not get involved in--" 

"Dara." i said, interrupting her. 

"yes?"

I placed my hand on top of her shoulder, "it's okay. we're not doing anything wrong and besides, we can just tell them publicly that there's nothing going on between us."

"you can do that?" she asked, eyes widening

I shrugged, "well i don't really like publicity but if it's really needed then why not?" 

she let out a sighed, "thank you. i thought you're going to get angry at me that's why i already told you about it before it gets in the news." 

"thanks anyway, for telling me." 

"have you eaten already? wanna go somewhere?"

"Oh i'm sorry, i just had my lunch with bom." 

"Bom? the nanny?" 

i nodded, "yeah. speaking of bom, i told her to meet me here in the lounge once she got her bag." 

"you're really close with her huh?" 

"well, she's a funny lady." i chuckled. 

"really? i would like to meet her Ji yong" 

BOM

"Ugh! what if he really peed and didn't wash his hands?! that's really gross! and he even touched my face." i muttered, grabbing my green sling bag on the bed. I checked everything inside my bag before heading out of the suite and went to the lounge. Since i ate a lot, i decided to just use the stairs instead of the lift.

"i feel so bloated after eating all those foods." i sighed. As i walked downstairs, the things that Ji yong and i talked about sinked in my mind. Although there was really nothing special about it but the fact that i felt comfortable with him was weird for me. when he removed the rice on my cheeks i wanted to slap his hand away but he looked so atrractive, so kind and gentle. 

As i opened the door towards the lounge, my eyes wandered around trying to look for Ji yong. He told me that we were going somewhere to buy stuffs for his parents. While searching for him, my gazed landed to the person i was looking for. I was about to call his name but abruptly stopped when i noticed him talking to a woman i immediately recognized. They seemed to be talking about something and i couldn't help but look at Ji yong's hand holding her shoulder. As i stood not far away from them, Ji yong suddenly moved his head like he was looking for someone until it landed on mine. 

"Oh there she is, Bom!" 

Even though i knew that he already saw me and i heard him calling me, i immediately turned my back and walked away as if i was hearing nothing. I didn't know where would i go but i headed outside the hotel. Today was not the right time to meet Dara. Not yet. 

"Bom." while i was walking down the street, a hand suddenly grabbed my wrist

"don't just randomly grabbed my wrist!" i yelled, turning to look at him. I noticed his eyes widened a bit by my sudden outburst. 

"Oh.." he muttered, releasing my hand. I actually regretted yelling at him but i was just so annoyed. 

why did he still follow me? 

"Park bom, you already saw me there but you just ignored me."

"I didn't see you." i lied.

"oh really? then you should have heard me calling your name then."

i rolled my eyes, "so that was you? i thought it was a dog barking." i said, sarcastically.

"A dog?! yah what is your problem?!" he yelled.

"don't yell at me!"

"i'm not yelling at you! you're the one who is yelling at me!"

"No i'm not!" 

"Yes you are! and why are you even mad at me? i can't even remember one thing that could make you angry like that." 

"Shut up! You are so annoying why did you still follow me here and I am mad at you because--"

words didn't come out from my mouth and i was left speechless as if i suddenly didn't know what to say.

 why am i even mad at him? he's right, he did nothing. but why? why do i feel so upset. 

"because of what?" he asked, his expression softened. 

i gulped nervously, "Because--"  

"Ji yong.."a soft girly voice suddenly interrupted us. I turned my attention to her and came faced to faced with the woman who looked as surprised as me. I tried to hide my amusement and maintained my posture as i stared back at her. Smiling. 

She looked like she had seen a ghost and i noticed her face got whiter matching her skin tone. "Dara are you okay?" Ji yong who was standing in the middle of us came towards her and touched her forehead. My eyes never left her and she did the same way to me. 

"U-unn--"

"Aren't you Sandara Park?" I asked, enthusiastically. 

Dara suddenly looked bothered by me. "Ye-yes." she said, her voice shaking. i noticed her staring at me from head to toe as if she was making sure it was really me. 

"Park bom, assist Dara back to the hotel." Ji yong said. 

"wait, Bom?" Dara asked. "your name is Bom?" she said, looking at me. 

"Yes, Ms. Dara." i nodded, "I am Park Bom." 

"She's my daughter's nanny." Ji yong said. "didn't you ask me that you want to meet her?" he added. 

i raised a brow at her, "oh, is that so Dara?" I said, smirking. 

Dara massaged her forehead probably getting confused by everything. I could see that she was trying hard not reveal everything between us because Ji yong was there. "shall i assist you to your room?" i offered. 

She looked at me knowing she knew what i meant, "yes please." 

DARA

I felt a mixed of happiness, confusion and excitement as i stared at the woman sitting across me on the couch. Until now, i still couldn't believe that we were in the same room together staring at each other. I wanted to throw myself at her and tell her how overjoyed i was to see her alive and healthy, to tell her how much i missed her, how much i loved her.

"I am not going to stay here just to have a chitchat with you." she said. 

"Jenny unnie."

"don't call me that." 

i didn't mind what she said and just continued to talk, "Jenny, what happened to you?" i asked, my voice shaking. My eyes was not accustomed to what i was seeing. Her hair was not blonde but brown, she was not wearing a dress anymore but a cheap looking jeans and sneakers and a white loose shirt. It was like i was seeing a whole new different person.

"This is who i am now." she shrugged. 

"Jenny, we've been looking for you for a very long time. Dad and i were so worried about you." 

Suddenly, i heard her chuckling. "i'm sorry." she paused, "i shouldn't laugh about that right? it's quite funny." 

"Jenny..." 

"Dara, let me get straight to the point. Like what i've said earlier i am not here to have chitchat with you or have a mini reunion with you. I am here to tell you that i no longer have any relations with you nor to anyone in the family. I don't want you calling me unnie or Jenny. I am Park Bom and i don't want you to interfere again in my life." 

If there was something that didn't change about my sister, it was probably her way of talking to me. Her words felt like a sharp knife stabbing my chest repeatedly that it was hurting me so much. "You mean i should act like i don't know you? is that what are you trying to tell me?" i asked, my eyes on the verge of tears.

She smiled, "i'm glad you get it." 

"you're working for Ji yong?" i asked. 

"Yes, as a nanny." she paused, "oh, and one more thing. i don't want you to act like you know me especially when Ji yong is here. I don't know what kind of relationship you have with him but as long as you don't do something against me then i don't care what you do." 

"so you are the one Ji yong keeps talking about." i said, smiling weakly. "i always thought who is this bom who saved his daughter? this bom who called him bossy, this bom who just had lunch with him, this bom who makes him look like he is comfortable when he is talking about her."

"you seemed jealous." 

i blushed upon hearing her, "No." i said. "what are you talking about? i am not." 

"Like what i've said before, i don't care what you do with him. I am just here to work for him for a certain period of time." 

"certain period of time? what do you mean? are you going somewhere again? Jenny unnie, what is going on with you?" i asked, worried.

"This is my life now Dara. Just forget me. Forget Jenny, forget that you once had a sister. I've never been good to you anyway, why do you still keep on inisisting yourself with me? hate me for treating you badly. despise me like the way i feel towards you." 

i looked down at my hands as tears began to escape from my eyes, "unnie do you know how much i waited for this moment to come? i missed you so much Jenny why can't you just stay with me and dad? Unnie, i told you i am very sorry right?" 

"Don't talk" 

"but unnie eversince we were young i kept on telling you how sorry i was. If it's about mom who died because of me i am sorry." 

"you and your dramas. no wonder you became an actress." 

"Jenny, why can't you just forgive me?" 

"enough." 

"why do you still hate me?" 

"enough Dara." 

"i don't understand why you have to be this cold."

"shut up!" 

i pressed my lips together after hearing her yell. When Jenny stood up from the couch and walked towards the door, i immediately followed her and hugged her tightly from the back. "Jenny please don't go." i begged. I felt like if i let her get out of that door i would never get the chance to see her again. i was afraid that she would be gone forever again. " i am always sad when you're not around. i missed you." I said. "please come back. Quit being a nanny, go back with me, let's live together again with Dad, let's start fresh. Dad misses you i am pretty sure he will forgive you."   i sobbed. 

i felt her hands tightly gripped my hands and removed it. "Dara, you will never understand me. My feelings and the things i've been through because of you."