Chapter 20-2

Cold as ice

sorry for the typos. 

JIYONG

After being advised by my doctor to take a sick leave from my work last week, I mostly spent my quality time at home with my daughter. Our everyday routine involved playing in the backyard or pool area, teaching her ride her bicycle without the training wheels, taking a stroll every afternoon in the neighborhood before sunset, binge watching Disney cartoons and movies in the living room, helping her with her assignments and lastly, reading her requested bedtime story of the night before sleep. I knew she enjoyed those times for I noticed the way she would stare up at me and smile with her expressive eyes. As her father, it made me feel contented and pleased to see that I was able to do my responsibilities to her properly.

Quality time of course, wasn’t only limited to my daughter. Being stuck at home also meant being stuck with my short-tempered, secretive, sometimes coquettish but still lovely girlfriend, Park Bom. I absolutely loved being alone with her for it was the only time I only get to be intimate with her. I remember we had bonded over a pile of videos my wife and I had recorded over the years and watched every single thing while we cuddled up together on the sofa in the living room. Most of the time, instead of watching, I only tend to focus my attention to Bom for I liked the way she looked so interested and keen while watching the videos. I couldn’t sense any uncomfortable feeling coming from her except for the times when she would feel my eyes on her.

Often, she would look back at me with a clever smile on her irresistible lips that would always lead me to kissing her, hugging her and mauling her. Not the brutal kind of I’ll-tear-your-meat-apart mauling but the I-want-you-so-bad mauling. She was like an addictive drug and I couldn’t get enough of her. Even now, as I remained sitting in the driver’s seat, waiting for the traffic light to blinked green, I couldn’t help but stealthily stare at her through the corner of my eye. She looked exactly how I pictured her in my mind when I imagined her wearing the dress I bought for her.

I planned the date and all the details in advance to ensure that her evening would be perfect. Knowing Bom, I had already anticipated the chances of her rejecting all of this things but fortunately, everything was going smoothly between us. She accepted the personalized necklace I had given to her.

“Is there a storm?”

Her voice took me out of my thoughts. Leaning against my seat, I stared at the windshield wipers that washed away the pouring rainwater.

“I think, there is.”  When the green light flickered, I pressed on the accelerator heading north.

“Do you remember the time when we got stuck while we were on our way to Gangwondo?” I asked, single handedly maneuvering the steering wheel with my left hand.

“Mm.”

“We argued there in the car and yelled at each other.”

“You were mad at me. Commanded me not talk the entire ride and then blame me for the rain.”

“I didn’t blame you.” I said, frowning.

“Funny how we’re always together in a car whenever it rains.”

I looked at her then through the corner of my eye and noticed her staring through the window. Halting the car again at the stop sign, I turned my full attention to Bom. Her eyes were aimed at the people crossing the pedestrian lane rushing to get to the other side of the road. Some of them were covering themselves from the heavy downpour with their jacket, book and umbrellas raised up over the heads.

“I think you will always cross my mind whenever it rains, Jiyong.”

I didn’t expect that she would say that and I found myself asking, “Why?”

“Because I think . . . for me . . .” she trailed, hesitating.

“That’s when all of this thing began.”

 

By the time I parked the car across the Wellington’s Restaurant, the rain had already subsided a little with only light showers falling and faint sound of thunders coming from the dark cloudy sky. Removing my seatbelt, I hopped out of the car and walked to the other side where Bom was standing, clutching the pearl purse George had given to her earlier.

“You seriously don’t know how to wait.”

“I don’t like you opening the car door for me when I obviously have two hands and can get out alone.” She retorted.

“I am just being a gentleman.”

“Well, is putting your hand on my counts as being a gentleman too?” She asked, arching a brow at me. I grinned and immediately retreated my hand from her behind afraid that I would find my arm in a sling again but for a different reason this time.

“I know I’ve said this already but you look beautiful tonight.”

“You’ve said that too many times It’s already losing its effect on me.”

“Oh, Really? I dare to disagree Ms. Park Bom. Look at those red cheeks. All because of me.” I pointed my index finger at her.

Crossing her arms against her chest, “For your information, there is this thing called, “blush-on” and I have that on my cheeks right now and who do you think you are to think that I am blushing because of you?” I noticed a small smile on her lips that disappeared immediately. 

“uh, your boyfriend? And you just sounded so defensive right there, Park bom.” I said, as I extended my hand out to hers that she surprisingly unhesitatingly took.

Once we entered the restaurant, Hayi, the petite twentyish restaurant’s manager had amiably escorted us inside. Other than George, she was also one of the people I talked to about my plan and special request that she immediately agreed upon. We rode the elevator and I could immediately tell that I wasn’t the only one who were mesmerized by the woman beside me. The homo sapiens inside, particularly the hungry male species riding the lift with us couldn’t take their predator’s eyes off her. Fortunately, she was oblivious of it as she seemed to have found interest at winning against our thumb wrestling match that just naturally started 3 seconds ago.

Standing side by side with our hands still locked together, our arms twitched in each attempt to win each other.  I could feel her thumb wriggling, moving back and forth evading my attempted aggressive counter attacks. I inwardly smiled seeing her enthusiasm and growing annoyance at this silly combat. Allowing her to lock in my finger underneath hers, I let her taste the triumph before she gave me a one long side glance and an arrogant smirk that could only mean victory. I restrained a laugh as I easily wriggled out of her bind and immediately reversed our thumb position, pinning it down against mine.

Murmuring against her ear, “You’re not going to win against me, Park bom. And the only time you will win against me is by the time we try to wrestle in bed instead. Damn, I will even let you be on top.”

“Shall we, Jiyong?” I was completely thrown off guard at her comeback and the sudden playfulness in her eyes when she looked at me.

At times where I would throw my innuendos at her, she would usually scowl in return which would always make me more. Who knew I would find this much interesting and entertaining.

“Oh, yes. We shall.” I nodded, grinning.

I amusingly watched her tried so hard to remove her thumb from mine. I could tell just from the frown on her brows and the few side glares she’d given me that she didn’t like being defeated.

So competitive.

When we reached the top floor, we were escorted to the door that directly opened to a spacious, modern private dining room.

“Enjoy your night, Mr. Kwon.” Hayi, said, as soon as we stepped over the threshold.

When the door closed, I eyed Park Bom who was already standing over the wall of glass encircling us overlooking the panoramic and gleaming skyline of the city. It was a good thing the rain had stopped for the view was very magnificent.

As I stood behind her, I could see her reflection through the glass and felt myself immediately smiled once I noticed the furrowed brows she was sporting earlier due to our little tournament had completely disappeared.

“I hope you like this place.” I said, staring at her back.

When she turned, she didn’t look at me but her eyes wandered everywhere like a curious innocent kid about to explore a nature. I followed her gaze as she stared up at the ceiling that had an abundant low round silver glass hanging lamps. Her eyes glistening and I could tell that she liked what she was she was seeing.

“Looks like stars.” She whispered more like to herself than to me.

I silently observed her as she eyed the rest of the surroundings. I kept everything simple and yet still romantic. The classy round dining table set up in the middle with candle lit onto center, the petals of roses scattered on the carpeted floor and most importantly the black grand piano sitting onto the platform just a few feet away from the dinner table. There was a minimal changed of expression on her face as she eyed it and hesitantly took steps forward only to stop. When she turned back at me, she was wearing her usual passive face that made me wondered what she was thinking about. I had never forgotten the way she looked heartbroken when she told me the story about what happened to her hands and I could tell just from the way her eyes shone wistfully that a part of her missed that.

Full course dinner was served to our table. Throughout our meal, Bom and I exchanged conversations mostly about Miyoung, myself, the videos we watched last week and my job. It was all about me, my life and I didn’t mind. Remaining to be an open book to her was one thing I wanted to do.

I kept my eyes on her as she took a sip from her wine. I had been counting the glasses she had already consumed and that was only her second. Thankfully she wasn’t inhaling the whole liquor just like the last time.

“Park Bom, I want you sober this time so please drink moderately.” I reminded.

“Jiyong, that’s the third time you’ve said that to me. I’m not a kid that needs to be reminded every damn time I take a drink of this beverage.” She said, as she grabbed the fork and knife and cut through her steak before eating a chunk of it. It was only her first bite and I didn’t fail to see the way her eyes slightly broadened at the well-seasoned meat.

“Can’t you talk without getting a little agitated?” I questioned, eyeing her as she chewed slowly. She didn’t say anything except to stare at me icily. If it weren’t for stuffed with food, I bet she would have retorted again.

Sometimes I wondered whether I got myself a rebellious girl who often enjoyed talking back or a girlfriend.

“What’s funny?” she asked upon noticing me suppressing a smile.

“Nothing.” I said, motioning at her to continue with her meal. I focused my attention on my food again and ate silently until I felt her watching me.

I was impressed at the way she didn’t divert her gaze away from me by the time I locked my eyes with her. Neither one of us wanted to look away and my gut feeling was telling me that her newly found current progressing boldness was probably the cause of the wine that had been slowly working its effect right now.

“What is it, Park bom?” I asked, noticing the smile lingering on her lips.

One minute she was annoyed and the next minute she was smiling. This was the reason I declined Hayi’s request of including a violin band for Park Bom was enough to entertain me for the whole night. And there was no doubt that I could keep her entertained as well.

“When did you plan all of this?” She asked, tilting her head to the side.

“Last week.”

She blinked. “Really? How come I didn’t notice that?”

“I secretly made phone calls behind your back and talked to Seungri. Do you like this place?” I asked, curiously. She hadn’t said a word about this since we got here.

She nodded immediately. “The ambience and the view are very nice and simple. I like it especially the delicious food.” she paused. “I bet this has cost you a lot.”

“You really should stop worrying about that kind of thing. I want to do this for you.”

“And you’re not even going to ask for anything in return?” She asked, dabbing with a table napkin before drinking the rest of the wine in her glass. I was planning to take away the bottle when she grabbed it and refilled her glass with it.

Third I mentally counted.

“Don’t worry, I won’t get drunk tonight.” She said, taking a sip again. By the time she placed the glass on the table, we had another silent stare down that was slowly eating up my intense desire to understand what that meant.

“Is there something you want to tell me?” I finally asked, breaking the silence.

She didn’t speak and pursed her lips. I could tell she was weighing something in her mind for her eyes looked distant even though she was gazing directly at me. Seconds later, she stood up from her seat and stared down at me.

“Don’t move. Stay here.”

She was probably the only person who could make a command to sound like a threat.

I curiously kept my eyes on her as she strode towards the stage, hop onto the platform and sat sideways on the piano bench. I noticed the way she delicately brushed her hands against the cover before lifting it up finally revealing the keyboard. The spotlight directly hitting her made me see every expression that crossed her face particularly the slight nervousness that appeared when she glanced at my direction. She cleared and focused her gaze at something that obviously distracted her. I followed it and stared at the glass wall only to see the intense downpour outside had started again. I couldn’t care less about that anyway.

And then she played.

It was as if the time had stopped ticking, the world had stopped revolving, I stopped breathing as I slowly turned back my attention to the woman who was responsible for producing the slow-moving but stirring beautiful music that suddenly engulfed the entire empty space and echoed marvelously off the high-ceiling. The flow of the soft, relaxing and calming melody had touched every fiber of my being and reached to the very depth of my soul.

Her hands moved with such grace, elegance and ease I didn’t know were possible. Her long slender fingers pressing delicately against the white and black piano keys had made me aware of her being deeply engrossed with her playing as if there was nothing existing except her and that piano. Except her and that music. She was in her own magical world and strangely enough, I felt jealous. I wanted that same exact attention. It was almost hypnotizing that for a second, I felt myself rising from my seat wanting to go to her, touch her, kiss her and undo her. My heart beating twice as fast as normal as I found myself being intoxicated not only with her music but with just her alone. 

Maybe people could relate to me but there was just something so magical and dazzling about watching a person you deeply admire and care about do the thing they were so good and passionate about. For some reason you found them even more bewitching, winsome and you feel a sense of gratification for them. You feel proud and strongly drawn to them. You only see them. They suddenly shine like no other. 

Damn. I had never thought it was possible to feel this kind of powerful, compelling kind of emotion I knew words wouldn’t be enough to describe. I wasn’t even touching her and yet, just the sight of her made me feel like I was being sent off to a sensation of pure ecstasy.

And when the music had come to its end and gradually faded away, stillness and tranquility kicked in replacing all the dying echoes produced by her playing that made me wonder when would I ever hear that again. She hopped off the stage and I stared at her approaching figure still in awe at her. I was relieved when I noticed the smile on her lips knowing she enjoyed it.

“That’s my favorite piece. It is called Air by Bach.”

“To say that you are good is an understatement. That was beautiful and amazing, Park Bom.” I responded, as I stood up and eyed her.

Her cheeks reddened. “That’s not even a hard piece to play so spare me from your compliment. It’s not that amazing.” I knew she was going to end this discussion by returning to her seat but I held her hand stopping her. I was quite taken aback when I felt it shaking and cold.

“Are you okay?” I asked, as she immediately pulled it away from my grip.

She nodded. “I’m fine. It’s the nerves. It’s just that I haven’t played in so many years and it’s the first time I’ve performed to someone else other than my mom . . . so. . .”

She purposely didn’t finish her sentence and just gave me a You-know-what-I’m-trying-to-say look.

I chuckled then reached for her soft hands again. As much as I found it a waste for a beautiful talent and potential like that to be kept hidden, a part of me had a selfish desire not to share it to the rest of the world. I wanted this thing to remain only between us.

“Did you just really played for me? Thank you.” I said, as I brought her hands to my lips kissing each of her knuckles tenderly. One by one. I didn’t miss the way she subtly in a breath while she watched me steadily.

“Mm. You’re welcome.” She mumbled, slowly pulling her hands back. I stared at her and cupped her cheeks. Her eyes studied my face as she moved closer, closing the gap between us. It didn’t take a second until our lips touched. And then we kissed unhurriedly, slowly and delicately just like how her fingers moved against the keyboard. My hands were torn between keeping still at her waist and moving up at her back wanting to pull down the zipper of her dress. My body was suddenly filled with tension and desire like a great crashing waves. And just when things were starting to get heated, she broke our kiss. I opened my eyes and gazed at her while trying to still my breathing. Our foreheads rested against each other.

“Jiyong, I want to tell you something.”  her voice raspy.

Can’t you just tell me that later? Do you really have to interrupt this glorious moment, Park Bom?

“Sure, what is it?” I asked, pecking her lips lightly.

“I . . .” she hesitated, pushing me gently.

“I want to resign.”

I frowned in confusion and surprised. It was the least thing I didn't expect to hear from her that I asked her to repeat it again just in case I heard it wrong.

“I want to look for another job.”

“You want to look for another job.” I repeated, pulling away.

She nodded. I had anticipated something like this to happen but I just didn’t see this thing to happen now. “Have you been searching for a job lately?”

“Yes.”

“What kind of job are you looking for this time?”

She stared at me almost sheepishly before she responded. “The usual. Restaurant.”

“Since you already have experiences in the food and beverage field, right? What’s the restaurant’s name?”

Her eyes kept looking anywhere but me I had to hold her chin so she would focus on me.

“I haven’t found one yet.”

“Well, there are job openings in the hotel right now that’s suitable for you and I am willing to he—”

“No.” she interrupted, rejecting my offer without even hearing it first. “I want to do this on my own without your help, Jiyong.”

Is that why you never come to me except for Yongbae?

“It’s in Busan.”

“What?” I asked, perplexed.

“The restaurant I’m planning to work for is in Busan.”

“You said you haven’t found one yet.” I kept my voice stable even though I wasn’t quite pleased with that.

“Like what I’ve said I’m still planning about it. It’s a newly built restaurant.”

“Busan’s 5 hours away from here, Bom.”

“I know. It will take 5 hours to get there by bus, 4 hours by car, but only 3 hours by train.”

Though not impossible, there was no way she could travel in such far place every day without being overly exhausted. I sighed and mentally calculated her working hours, her transportation fare, her remaining time to take a rest if she would follow that path. And it made me realized one thing she probably wanted to tell me the most and I didn’t know what to feel about that.

“Are you planning to move there? In Busan?”

She kept her eyes on me before nodding slowly. “Why of all places you’re planning to work there? There are a lot of establishments that offers that same job you want. And why didn’t you tell me about this beforehand?”

“I told you it’s just a plan I’m considering to do.” She paused, looking at her wristwatch, checking the time before staring at the glass wall again. It was still raining and for some reason, she looked a bit disturbed.

“Are you aware of a restaurant called, Gustav?” she questioned, turning her attention at me.

I nodded instantly. It was a five-star dining that originated from Germany. I remember taking my wife there for a dinner when we had our honeymoon and she was beyond ecstatic when she tasted the food prepared by a finest chef we found out later that night was Gustav’s grandson.

“That’s where you’re going to work? I have no idea they’re going to put a branch in Busan.”

“I know right. That’s why when I found out about it, I was really surprised so I immediately checked it out and then passed my resume online. I didn’t really expect much and I was lucky enough I got a call last week for a phone interview.”

“Did you passed?”

Again, she nodded. “I’m just waiting for my final interview.”

“Which means you have already made a decision to accept it, if ever you’re going to pass that final interview.”

She didn’t need to nod for just the way she looked steadfastly at me made me knew it already. I could sense she wanted that opportunity but strangely, I couldn’t convince myself to agree on that. I had no problems with the distance or the fact that there would be a chance that I wouldn’t be able to see her for days or a week due to our schedules. I could make adjustments. This thing wasn’t new to me anyway and this was easier compared to when I was studying abroad and couldn’t meet my wife then.

But what’s stopping me?

 

 

Rain was unceasingly still streaming down by the time I pulled up the car across the maroon colored gate. The neighborhood was hushed with only an occasional house showing a light or TV on.

“I hope you had great time even though the weather completely .” I said, looking at the woman busy unbuckling her seatbelt.

“I had a great time.” She paused. “It was a lovely night I won’t forget, Jiyong.”

Smiling, I reached for her face, leaned forward and kissed her lips a little longer than what I had intended. She didn’t mind.

“Good night, Park Bom.” I muttered, pulling away.

“About that work thing I told you earlier. . . ”

“I have nothing against your decision, Bom.” I sighed, leaning back against my seat.

“But you don’t look very pleased with that.”

“I was just surprised. I didn’t expect that you were making decisions without letting me know it.”

“It’s just a plan.”

“A plan is something that you intend to do. Yours is not a plan anymore for you have already made an action to it.” I corrected.

“So you are against it.”

“What? No.” I frowned. “What did I tell you before? I have nothing against your plans. I want you to grow as well and let you do what you like but . . .” I trailed suddenly lost for words.

“but what?”

Letting out an exasperated sigh. “Can’t we just talk about this tomorrow or some other time?” I asked, staring at her.

I knew she could also feel the air changing between us that she nodded in agreement. She stayed for a few seconds, as if waiting for me to say something before she turned and grabbed a hold of the door handle.

“It’s cold. I wish we could spend the night together.” I said, trying to lighten the mood.

She looked over her shoulder. “I wish I could keep you warm, Jiyong.” She smiled. “But my uncle needs me.”

I wish I just didn’t decide to say that for it just pained me to look at her face knowing that fact that her uncle hadn’t been home and that she was using that as an excuse right now.

By the time she hopped out of the car, I watched her hurried towards the gate with my blazer draped over her head, shielding her from the torrential rain. I waited for a short while making sure she wasn’t going to come out again before I started the ignition and propel the vehicle forward.

I was about 3 miles away from Bom’s place and was about to turn into the corner when I happened to look at the passenger seat and noticed the pearl purse resting on it.  Pressing on the brake, I halted the car just across the light post before I reached for the pouch. I didn’t inspect it much after I saw what was inside and found her phone and key.

Without giving it much thought, I held the wheel again and put the car in reverse. That must be her key to her apartment. It was a good thing I wasn’t that far yet when I noticed it that It didn’t take me longer than 5 minutes to reach her place. I parked in front of the gate again and hopped out of the car with her purse in my hand.

The gate was opened that I just deliberately set foot in when no one answered my knock. The pathway leading inside was pretty dark, rocky and slippery that I wondered if Bom didn’t trip with her heels. Knowing how clumsy she could be sometimes, the possibility of it happening was close to 90%.

I could feel the water trickling down to the side of my face, the back of my neck after I rushed into the teeming rain that was starting to drench me. The rustling of tree leaves as the wind blew and the thunder clattered loudly in the sky sounded and felt oddly bizarre it made me quickened my footsteps.

Branches of trees cracked beneath my feet and as I came nearer towards pavement, I heard inaudible voices.

Muffled voices that sounded unfamiliar and seemed to belong to different individuals.

Male individuals.

And I abruptly stopped and tried to fathom what I was seeing and hearing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! :) Things have been really hectic for me lately that it's quite hard to find a free time to write. This is supposed to be a long chapter but again, i decided to cut it upon realizing it might take me a bit long to finish the whole thing and i really want to give you something even just a little since i feel guilty for making you wait. (i always feel guilty lol)

Just like what i always say, thank you for reading, leaving comments and even messaging me. :) It's such a nice feeling when u get to make friends and be able to communicate with readers and talk about stories and some other random things haha :)))

Next chapter will be posted in a few days. :) 

If you're interested of what bom's character played here in this chapter, just listen to "Air" by bach or if you simply want the piano version, just typed 'Air by bach piano' on youtube. :)