Chapter 4

Cold as ice

BOM

“Then what is your ideal type Ms. Park?”

Yeah, good job Park bom just when you already found a job you will be fired right on the spot today.

This was what I thought the moment I heard his voice. Not knowing what to do, I immediately stood up straight and turned to face Mr. Kwon who was surprisingly smiling at me. what? I was about to explain everything when he cocked his head to one side, “follow me.” he said, as he carry his daughter in his arms. A little bit confused, I followed him.

“I called my doctor to check-up on you, he’ll be here at any moment.” He said, sitting on the brown leather couch with his daughter on his lap.

“what?” I asked, confused. is that why he suddenly left?

He looked at me from head to toe. “Since you’re already here I want to make sure if you’re really fine. Especially that.” he said, pointing at my ankle. “you’re the one who saved my daughter anyway. And stop rejecting my offer it is for your own sake too.” He added, as if he already knew my attempt to decline.  Defeated, I sat on the couch just across him.

“Uhm about what you heard earlier in the balcony I didn—“

“It’s okay.” He said, interrupting me.

“My daughter usually says that to every lady I’m talking with. Apparently, you’re one of them.” he said, tickling his daughter which caused Miyoung to laugh continuously.  I couldn’t help but be amused by her. When we were alone she was just glaring at me and telling me stuff but by the time his father came she suddenly changed into this sweet-daddy’s-girl aura.

 

JIYONG

“Miyoung honey, that unnie will be your new baby sitter be nice to her, okay?” I whispered into my daughter’s ear when Park bom was not looking. “Dad I’m already grown up, why do you always let other people take care of me?” she asked, pouting.

“Oh no, young lady. You will be forever daddy’s little girl.” I said, kissing her cheeks. She just looked so adorable.

“Remember to be good to her okay?”

“okay, dad” she said. I couldn’t tell whether my daughter would really be nice to her but I was really hoping she would. After all, I think she would really be a bit considerate to her knowing bom was the one who saved her.

While I was playing with Miyoung and waiting for my doctor to come, I took a glanced at bom and noticed her not wearing anymore her hat. I thought she looked quite cute with her long dark brown hair, her big brown eyes and her chubby cheeks. If I didn’t know her, I would actually think she looked like an innocent and sweet lady. But I guess, looks could be very deceiving. She was completely the opposite of it. As far as I observed, she was a hard-headed girl, quite a short tempered person, stubborn and I guess, mysterious too. The reason why I hired her was I think she could handle my daughter and besides she was my daughter’s lifesaver. I owe her a lot.

 

BOM

I flopped myself on the floor exhausted after the long day. I just got home from meeting with Mr. Kwon. “So many unexpected events happened today” I sighed. What is your ideal type Ms. Park? His words echoed in my mind as I felt heat rushed through my face. “That was embarrassing.” I muttered, shaking the thought away. Because of Miyoung I said unnecessary things I shouldn’t have said in the first place. After getting caught saying to his daughter that he was not my ideal type which was really true, Mr. Kwon didn’t say something about it and just like what he usually do, he smiled. Yes, that flashy smile showing his white teeth. It was annoying for me as I couldn’t read what he was thinking. I was lying on the floor just staring blankly at the white ceiling when I suddenly remembered the next thing that happened. I sat up and looked at my ankle wrapped in a white . The doctor had me checked-up already and he said I didn’t receive any major injuries aside from my sprained ankle. I knew it wouldn’t be that bad, it was just that Kwon Jiyong who was making a big deal out of it.

 

“what? are you stupid!?” Upon telling that I nearly got into an accident because of the little girl, Uncle Psy immediately hit my head. “Park bom! why did you do that? are you some kind of a hero with a supernatural power? You almost got yourself killed! What if you were killed? Do you think I would be able to find you and live my life!?”

“Uncle I’m still alive stop exaggerating.” I said, nonchalantly. We were walking down the street eating some ice cream after we had a heavy dinner at this cheap restaurant. “Why do you always get in trouble bom-ah?”

“Are you speaking of yourself?” I asked.

I didn’t mean anything from it but I guessed uncle was a bit offended by it. We were walking in awkward silence for a moment until I spoke, “tomorrow is my first day. Those guys are not bothering you, right?” I asked, making sure he was fine. He shook his head, “No. Do a good job okay? This time, it is a kid you are going to take care of. Knowing your personality, I can’t even imagine you accepting this job. Why did you even accept it in the first place?”

“Because my boss is the owner of the Luxe Hotel.” I reasoned, biting my popsicle ice cream.

“wow really? Is it his daughter you’re going to take care of?” he asked. I nodded, “Yes, I thought he would give me big salary.” I responded.

“Wow, you really hit the jackpot bom. But why do you think he still need to hire a baby sitter thinking his daughter is already 7 years old and besides, don’t you think her mom should be responsible for her?”

he’s right. Why didn’t I think of that? because of uncle Psy’s continues talking it made me think of Mr. Kwon’s wife. How come I didn’t meet her earlier? Maybe she was also a business person like Mr. Kwon who also had a busy life.

“Bom, I saw in the news that your sister is back.” We were already near my house when uncle psy suddenly spoke distracting me from my thoughts. I stopped on my track. “she’s really gotten so pretty and famous.” He added. “Uncle” I turned to look at him, I guessed he noticed the expression on my face telling him that I wasn’t interested. “I don’t have a sister and please don’t you ever mention that again”   

“i-I’m sorry, I didn’t—“

“I’m tired.” I said, interrupting him before he let out a sighed.

“okay, I understand. You should take a rest and please don’t wake up late tomorrow.” he said, scolding me a bit. I nodded in response as I walked to my doorstep and unlocked the door.

JIYONG

I was still sleeping on my bed when I felt a heavy weight suddenly jumped in my body followed by a laughing sound. “daddy daddy! Wake up!” Mi-young kept hitting me with her hands as she tried to wake me up. Because I was still sleepy, I didn’t obey my daughter and just embraced her tightly on my arms, letting her to fall on my chest. “Mi young-ah dad is still sleepy” I mumbled. “but I’m already hungry~” she whined, escaping from my embraced. Just when I thought she left already because it became very silent, my daughter started to jump up and down on the bed. her high-pitched laughter echoed in my bedroom. “get up! get up! get up!” she chirped. “what’s wrong with my daughter today? Why did you wake up so early?” I asked, finally sitting up. I pouted my lips to her direction and she gave me a morning kiss. I smiled. “because I’m hungry.” She said. “fine, daddy will make your—“ suddenly remembering something, “what time is it?” I muttered, looking at the wall clock. It was already 8 in the morning. “ugh! I have a meeting to attend by 8:30” I groaned, getting up from my bed. I immediately picked up my phone from the bedside table and dialed Seungri’s number. I told him to delay the meeting for another 30 minutes before I headed to the study area to pick up my suitcase and placed important documents in there. “DAD!” Mi young’s yell suddenly startled me, it suddenly sinked into my mind that she was waiting for breakfast. “oh, I’m sorry honey.” I said, apologetically. “dad I’m calling you but you are ignoring me.” she said, angry at me. “I’m really sorry mi-young. It’s already 8 am don’t worry your baby sitter will be here at any—“ I was about to finish my words when we heard the doorbell. “I guess that’s her” I muttered as I hurriedly went downstairs to open the door. Mi young was tagging behind me. As soon as I opened the door, Park bom was already standing in the doorstep. “you’re right on time, good morning.” I smiled, greeting her.

BOM

“is it done?”

“not yet”

“is it done?”

“not yet”

“Is it—“

“Not yet.” For the past 15 minutes, I had been enduring Mi young’s non-stop repetition of “is it done?”  It was the 50th time she asked me that question and it was slowly getting into my nerves. I breathe in steadily as I focused myself frying the eggs and hams for her breakfast. “why don’t you sit already? I’ll just bring your breakfast on the table.” I said, glancing down at her. She was still in her pink pajamas which had a print of different Disney princess. Her long black hair was in various directions but still she looked a bit cute.

As soon as I came here, I remember Mr. Kwon instructed me to make breakfast already. He told me that Mi young had no class today for school since it was Saturday and that I just needed to stay home with her all day or if she wanted to go somewhere I could call him to send the driver home. “Be with her till I get home” was the last thing he said before he left hastily. I placed the plate on the table in front of Mi young and let her eat her foods. “Milk” she commanded, giving me her empty glass. I reached for the milk in the fridge and poured a glass. Surprisingly, she gulped it in one shot. Did her father starve her for days? “Are you going to be here all day just like my previous nannies?” she asked, staring blankly at me. I nodded. Noticing her plates already empty I asked her if she wanted more and she refused. I walked to her table to clear out the plates but just when I was about to reach for it, her hands wiped them away from the table making the plates and glass to fall and break into pieces on the floor. I eyed her knowing she did that on purpose. “Oops, sorry” she smiled devilishly before she hopped out of the chair. I watched her till she was out of sight before I cursed under my breath and inhaled deeply. “be patient bom. She’s just a kid. Yes, a spoiled brat kid.” I groaned, as I bent down and picked up the broken pieces of the fragile things. I knew she’s up to something.

Once I am done cleaning and washing the dishes I went to find the little brat. From the kitchen, I walked up the stairs to her room. Seriously, her room sized was just the size of my whole apartment. It was all pink inside and had a lot of stuff toys displayed from every corner of the room. I found her playing tea house on the floor with her dolls. “Mi young-ah, it’s time to take a bath” I said. “Kristine said she doesn’t like to take a bath so I am not going to take a bath too.” Who the hell is kristine? Am I missing something? I walked closer to her and watched the creepy french doll she was holding. That might be Kristine “oh yeah, kids with their fantasies. How did you know she doesn’t like to take a bath she can’t even talk.” Mi young glared intensely at me after I said those words. I didn’t mean to say it aloud and it meant to stay on my mind only. I thought she was going to cry but then again she called me, “Ugly!”

“I know.” I said, nonchalantly as I sat on the floor across her. “you need to take a bath now.” I said, convincing her. She didn’t even budge and looked at me as she kept on talking and talking with the creepy doll. “what? you want more tea?” mi young talked animatedly as she poured an imaginary tea using her pink teapot. “Mi young-ah your daddy ordered me to bathe you after your breakfast.” “Daddy’s not here, he will not know.” She muttered.

“He will. I will tell him about it.” I said. Mi young glared at me once again before she turned in the opposite side ignoring me. After a few minutes, I guessed she was scared of her dad she finally stood up and told me to bathe her.

“Yah! the water is so cold!” I adjusted the shower temperature when Mi young whined. I was in the middle of washing the shampoo in her hair when she yelled, “Are you trying to burn me?! the water is so hot!” rolling my eyes in annoyance, I adjusted the water temperature again. I tested it first in my hand just in case it was too cold or hot.

“Ready Fire!”

“Omo! Yah!” I was about to rinse her when out of a sudden the annoying kid suddenly snatched the shower head and pointed it at me. Water sprayed all over my body as she continuously rained me. Her joyous evil laugh rang in my ears as I completely lost my very little patience. “ENOUGH!” I grabbed the shower thing from her as I watched her retreat herself by running outside the bathroom and with soap all over her body. “oh God! will you please take away whatever thing that possessed that kid!” I scowled, storming out of the bathroom to chase her. Giggles and squeals surrounded the entire house as we both ran. “come and get me if you can!” she said, inducing me as she shake her left and right. “Don’t provoke me little kid.” I warned. “bleh!” after sticking out her tongue she began running like crazy again. “Yaaaahhh!” For the entire half an hour we spent our time chasing and running before I finally cornered her. “ahhhh!” she squealed on top of her lungs. I smirked, realizing there was no way she could run anymore. She was leaning against the wall moving left and right trying to avoid me from catching her. I noticed the soap on her body had dried up already. “Mi young, let’s finish taking a bath now shall we?” I asked, calmly. She shook her head giggling. I frowned, trying to get close to her. When she stealthily tried to pass by me, I immediately caught her in my arms. Another delightful squeal echoed in the house seriously is she some kind of a pig!? I felt she was a big worm that kept on wriggling as she tried to escape. I tried to tighten my embrace on her and lifted her up to bring her to the bathroom.

JIYONG

The meeting went smoothly in the conference room as Dara Park together with her manager and my assistant Seungri discussed the advertisement program for my hotel. “Thank you for signing the contract Ms. Park” I gathered the documents together after Dara signed the 1 year contract to be our model for Luxe Hotel. “No need for formalities Ji yong.” She said, “I guess it’s the least I can do for you for helping me last time.” She continued, holding her star necklace. My eyes widened after knowing it was that thing that made her sign this.  “Is that really important to you that you immediately agreed on signing this contract without hesitation?” I blurted. Realizing I asked such a personal question I immediately apologized to her. Her face hinted an expression of sadness. “No, it’s okay.” She said, smiling weakly at me. “I—it’s just so so important to me.”

 “Is it from your lover?” Seungri suddenly interrupted. I glared at him for being so nosy and I guessed he noticed me sending him a sign to get out. “Just curious” He shrugged, finally getting out of the room together with Dara’s manager. “Hey, you wanna grab some lunch?” I asked, trying to get rid of the awkward silence. Luckily, Dara nodded. “Oh I was just about to mention that to you.” she said.

Dara and I decided to go the Japanese restaurant located inside the hotel. We couldn’t go out because there were some paparazzi around and she needed her manager’s approval first. “we want Sakuyaki and Oden” I said, glancing at the waiter who was writing down our orders. “is that all sir?” he asked. I looked at Dara just in case she wanted to add some more. “that’s all” she smiled. “they cooked the best Japanese foods here.” I said. “oh I can’t wait to taste it I’m really hungry.” She giggled. I thought she had a beautiful smile. “So anyway, what do you do aside from being the CEO of this famous hotel?” she asked, beaming at me. “Well, I take care of my daughter.” I shrugged and I noticed her eyes widened in amusement. “Really you’re a father?!” “Ummm Yes?”  I said, confused. “wait, you don’t know?” I continued. She rolled her eyes, “do I look like I know?!”

“No.” I said, giggling. “Well, tell me about your daughter.” She said. I was surprised she was interested. “well she’s 7 and she’s sweet, lovely, beautiful and the most amazing thing in the world. She’s the reason why I live.” I guessed I was being so dramatic and noticed her giggling at me. “Okay this is enough you’re laughing at me. I look funny.”

“No, I’m not!” she scowled. I could tell she was trying to hide her smile. “Yeah right, very convincing.” I said, sarcastically. “Seriously, I’m not laughing at you okay?” she said, “I actually think you’re a cool dad. You’re very protective and I can tell you really really love her.” Her compliment actually made me feel a little bit fluttered. “Your wife is so lucky to have you as her husband.” She added. I felt the smile on my face slowly faded, just by mentioning my wife. I tried to just laugh it out which was actually successful “so tell me more about you” I said, changing the topic. “I mean, we should be fair. I just told you about my life and you even laugh at me I think I need to know you too.” I said. “what do you want to know?” she asked. “Anything. I’m actually curious about the famous actress in korea.”

“Well, I love acting. It’s actually the reason why I live” she said, emphasizing the last word. I giggled, “and then?”

“and then..” she paused, her smile faded. I noticed her touching her necklace again. “I just want that special person to look at me and recognize me.” suddenly I saw tears welled up in her eyes. I didn’t ask further about who was that person knowing I might offend her but I could really tell that she really loved whoever that person was. “I’m sorry this is supposed to be a fun conversation but—“

“no it’s okay Dara. It’s okay” I said. I really didn’t know what to say after seeing her condition. It was a good thing that the waiter came right on the spot to serve our foods. “this looks very delicious.” I said, trying to lift up the mood. Fortunately, she smiled. “I agree. I can’t wait to taste it!”

BOM

I flopped myself on the white couch tired already. My whole body was practically wet because of Mi young and I didn’t bring any spare clothes with me. I sneezed a couple of times when I felt cold. “She’s only 7 and she’s annoying as devilish brat and the most obnoxious kid in the world. She’s the reason why I would probably die soon.” I muttered, gritting my teeth. I leaned my head on the armrest trying to recover the lost energy I had lost from Mi young when I suddenly felt a finger poking my head. I looked over my shoulder in annoyance knowing who it was and I was right, “what do you want again?” I asked. She walked and stood across me. I looked at her hand and she was holding a blue bathrobe. “wear this.” she said, For a moment I was really surprised that I was out of words and slowly took the bathrobe from her tiny hands. I wonder if she was planning something. “unnie, take this I know you’re cold” she said, looking at me with her puppy face. As I unfold the bath robe, I noticed a moving wriggling thing. I snorted, “what is this? I’m not scared of this. I knew you are up to something Mi young.” I smirked, holding the tiny lizard by its tail. Mi young gasped surprised by my reaction. “you’re not scared?!”

“do I look like scared kiddo?” I asked, wagging the lizard in front of her. “Don’t call me kiddo! I’m not a kid!” She frowned and stomped away with a defeated look. I threw away the bath robe and just let myself in my wet clothes.

I abruptly woke up and panicked when I suddenly heard a loud siren. Not really fully awake yet, I looked around to see if there was an emergency only to find a laughing girl behind me holding loud noise making device on her hands. I groaned in frustration, “you think that’s funny?” I asked, raising a brow. “Oh” she said, nodding. “You’re funny.” She giggled. I rolled my eyes and looked at the time. “Omo! It’s already 7 in the evening!?” I gasped, surprised. “Yah kiddo what time Mr. Kwon usually goes home?” I asked. “he’ll be here any minute.” Getting up immediately, I walked towards the kitchen which took me 15 minutes to reach from the living room. This house is too big for two people I stopped and turned to look at Mi young who was following me. As soon as I faced her, she laughed but I didn’t mind. “yah kiddo, where’s your mom?” I asked, curiously.

“In heaven.”

I felt something pricked my chest the moment she said those words. I thought she was so young to lose a mother. she’s at a beautiful place. My mother is there too “Panda!!” distracting me from my thoughts I glanced down at Mi young who was yelling at me again. “what did you call me?” I asked. “nothing, you just look like a Panda.” She said, giggling. I rolled my eyes as I made my way to the fridge grabbing some ingredients to cook. I decided to cook Sweet and sour pork since it doesn’t take a lot of time to cook. For the whole process of cooking I was thankful that Mi young never bothered me. I wonder if she was in her room plotting some evil plans again. While I was adjusting the stove I heard Mi young yelled from the living room, “Daddy!” I thought it was a good thing he was already home knowing I could go home too. “what are you cooking?” I jumped in fright when I heard a voice behind me. “Sweet and sour po—“ I turned to look at Mr. Kwon who looked like he had seen a ghost. I noticed his eyes grew bigger and his lips twitched a little suppressing the smile. Then I glanced at Mi young who was laughing at me from the doorway.

 

JIYONG

“Two Dark circles around her eyes and a moustache? you drew that on her face right?” I looked at mi young suspiciously trying not to believe what she did. she shook her head. “You know I hate liars Mi young-ah” I warned. Glancing up at me she bit her lower lip and slowly nodded her head. “why did you do that?!” I scolded. “because she was sleeping!” she hissed. I turned at Park bom who just came out from the bathroom. The black paint on her face was still quite visible but not as obvious as before. “Sir I’ve already cooked your dinner and had done everything I needed to do. I’ll go home already.” She said, immediately grabbing her bag on the couch. Before she could leave the house, I called her but she didn’t look back.

“Bom wait i—“

“I understand.” Her airy voice interrupted me. Turning to look back at me, “I’m fired right?” she asked. Suddenly I was confused, “what?”

“what do you mean what?” she frowned, “I slept while working, you’re going to fire me right?” she asked, innocently. “you really thought that?” suddenly, I chuckled. “what’s funny?” she asked, irritated. “why would I fire you just because of that simple mistake?” I said.”Anyway, I really want to apologize for my daughter.” I continued. She didn’t respond and just kept her eyes on me. She wasn’t even smiling nor frowning at me. “You know, you can laugh at me if you want.” She raised a brow. I didn’t know I was already trying not to laugh at her. It was just hard to look at her face with that ridiculous painted eye bags and moustache. “Like father, like daughter.” She snorted. “I’m really very sorry Bom.” I said. “do I have a choice?” she said, rolling her eyes. “Then it’s all settled.” I smiled.

“fine, go away. I’m going home.”

“wow did you just shooed away your boss?”  I asked, smiling. She shrugged and just continuously walked out of the house. “good night bom”