Chapter 1

Cold as ice

JIYONG

Wearing my bathrobe, I stood on the balcony of my bedroom with a cup of coffee in my hand. I run my fingertips through my black hair as the cool breeze touched my skin. Sipping my cup of coffee, I watched the breathtaking scenery in front of me as the sun slowly raised in the east. The feeling of the warm coffee travelling down to my throat filled my empty stomach.

I was really cherishing this moment of peace and silence, away from stress when I suddenly felt someone’s tugging the back of my robe. She’s awake. A smile plastered on my face as I turned my back to face her. “good morning beautiful.” I said, admiring her small beautiful face. “Daddy, I’m hungry.”  She said, rubbing her eyes. I lowered down to her level, patting her head. “Aigoo, no morning kiss for daddy?” I pouted cutely then my little girl smiled widely and threw her arms around me. She kissed my left and right cheeks alternatively. “I love you dad.”

“I love you too Miyoung.” I said, as i pinched her cheeks before I carried her in my arms. “Now, let’s eat breakfast!”

 

In the dining room,

“dad.”

“Mm.”

I stopped from eating my food and glanced at Miyoung when she didn’t continue her words. She was biting her lower lip. The one mannerism she got from her mother every time she was nervous or trying to say something. I didn’t know how it happened for she never met her. But I guess it’s a bonus gift given by God aside from her face that really resembled her.  I poured her a glass of milk and touched her little hand motioning at her not to play her food while eating. “What is it honey?” I asked. She looked hesitant and I knew it by how she glanced up at me. I smiled. “Well, teacher picked me to be a part of a play and . . .  and I’m playing a role of a princess.”

“oh honey, that’s really nice! “ I said, my voice sounded like a proud father as I reached her hand across the table and squeezed it. “do you want me to buy you a princess costume? I know where to buy and—“ I stopped when she shook her head. “I just want you to be there and watch me.” She said. My heart ached. Truthfully, if there’s one thing that I was guilty of, I guess it would be not spending much time with my daughter. Don’t judge me. I know, being a single parent is not an excuse, but I have work too. I’m not bragging, but we own one of the most famous hotel in the country and we are quite popular too when it comes to the hospitality industry.  And besides, it’s not easy to handle everything. It was quite scary actually. Why? Because thousands of people were relying on me, their lives depended on the outcome of how I handle everything in business. That’s why as much as possible, I still try to balance my life between my work and my daughter.

“is that why you look hesitant to say it to me?” I asked. she nodded

 “this is your first play honey, of course I’ll go.”

“really?!” her voice turned high-pitched at the sound of her excitement. I chuckled.

 Squealing, she ran from her seat crossing the table towards me. I was surprised when she hugged and gave me unlimited kiss. 

“thank you daddy! Thank you!  You’re the best dad in the whole world!” she said, giving me two thumbs up. I giggled giving her a peck on her cheeks. “And you are the most beautiful and sweetest daughter.”

After our breakfast, mi-young’s new babysitter arrived on time. “Good morning Mr. kwon”

“good morning.” I said, as I let her enter our house. “dad let’s play!” miyoung suddenly came out of nowhere holding a doll much bigger than her.

“mi young-ah, daddy can’t.” I said, as I crouched down and patted her head. She pouted her lips disappointedly before she turned and noticed the woman standing in the doorway.

“who are you?” she asked, pointing at the woman. I shook my head disappointedly at how impolite she was. “Miyoung honey, that’s your new babysitter. Her name is chae-won.” I said, before I turned and smile at our maid.

“I don’t like her, she’s ugly!” she yelled before she turned and ran back to her room.

“Miyoung-ah!” i glanced at the new babysitter, totally embarrassed. “I’m sorry for her rudeness.”

“it’s okay, Mr. kwon kids are always like that.” She said. I bowed apologetically at her and excused myself to follow my daughter. She was sitting on her bed, sulking while hugging her frog stuff toy. I knelt down in front of her and patted her head.

“is that how you treat people?” I asked, trying to keep my voice soft. She didn’t respond.

“Mi-young ah, you know that’s not a good attitude, right?” I paused. She pouted. “Would you like it if uncle Seungri yelled at me and told me I’m ugly?” I asked, giving her an example of what she did with a little twist of characters. 

“no, uncle seungri is much more ugly.” She reasoned, frowning. I smiled. 

“It’s kind of rude, right?” I asked.

“It’s bad.” She responded.  “so are you going to say sorry? Like what you've said, it’s bad.” I asked, tilting her head up to look at me.

“yes, dad.”

“good.” I stood up and held her hand as we walked out of the room. Finally, I just wish she would treat her new babysitter nicely.

 

As soon as I settled my foot in the hotel, Daesung came in rushing toward me. I knew today would be a very busy day.

“hyung, I think we’re lacking security. The fans outside are uncontrollable.” He said. “How many hours do we have till the celebrity gets here?” I asked, while we were walking in the hallway. “Only an hour left, we don’t have much time hyung. The fans are beasts!” his small eyes widened as he exaggeratedly said the last word. 

“Is everyone in the lobby now?”

 “Yes and they’re already waiting for you.” As we walked into the lobby, I could see from the glass window the sea of fans holding their placards and banners that reads: daralings, I love Sandara Park, Baby faced dara

Turning my attention to the staffs lined up together, all dressed in black suits, I gave them each instructions of what they would do. “We need a change of plans.” I said, as I stood in front of them. “The actress will be using the fire exit to enter this hotel. But before that, we have to use another van. The first one would be ours, and then the second would be their van. We have to make the fans believe she’s going to enter the front gate. Until then, we have to make sure the safety of everyone. And besides, we have other guests too staying in this hotel. We can’t cause commotion. We should avoid accidents as much as possible.” I said, as I further discussed everything that needed to be done. After the short meeting, I dismissed them all.

 

DARA

“we need to change route.”

“what? Why?” I asked my manager, suddenly confused.

“Someone called from the hotel that you need to use the fire exit for safety purposes.”

I leaned back against my seat, worried and nervous. I could feel my heart beating fast as I touched the pendant of my necklace around my neck.

Minutes later, the van stopped in an unknown place. I stared through the window and noticed there were a lot of people on the other side. “that’s the entrance, but you’re not going to enter there dara. It’s too dangerous.” My manager unnie said.

 I put my sunglasses on as we hurried to get down from the van. “this way miss.” A man in black suit, held his hand out to me. “thank you.” I said, smiling.

 

“There she is! That's Dara!” i gasped, as I turned sideways when I heard someone yelled.  I was surprised to see a number of people and media running toward us. I felt like we were a fugitive getting chased by the police as we walked forward to the big gate. “ouch!” I cried, as I stumble on the ground when I hit a rock. ”are you okay?” my manager unnie asked, worriedly. I nodded. My knees hurt so much that I couldn’t get up. The guards helped me to stand but the reporters were already taking pictures of me. The crowd became more excited. “Move! Move!I heard my butler said. I was squeezed into the sea of people trying to get a hold of me and trying to take pictures. I felt hands touching my head and my back. For a moment, I was scared. I touched my neck. My eyes grew wider and I found myself already in panicked. I couldn’t feel it.

“my necklace!” I yelled, almost in tears. “what?” my manager asked, bewildered. “I-i-lost my necklace I need to find it!”

“you can’t!” she said, holding my arms tightly when she noticed I was about to dive in the number of fans. I shook my head as I crouched down immediately, my hands searching the rough dirty ground.  I didn’t mind the people calling me or the media taking pictures of me. I just need to find it.

“please, please” I muttered, my tears already in the midst of falling. I was almost crawling when I felt someone wrapped his arms around my waist and scoop me up. I glared at him. “get your hands off me.” I warned.

“Sorry, but you need to get inside.” He said, not even looking at me. I removed his arms on my waist but he immediately wrapped it again and pushed me beside him. “I really need to find my necklace!”

“fine! I’ll find it for you.” he yelled.

 I glared at him. did he just yelled at me?!

“I’ll find it, I promise. Just please get inside before anyone gets hurt.” his voice softened as he looked straight at me with his brown eyes.

BOM

“Korean stew and Braised Chicken!”

I walked over the counter and carry the food tray when I heard the ahjumma yelled from the kitchen. I strode back in the aisle, passing a number of chairs and tables until I finally reached the table assigned. “Table 23, sir.” I said, forcing a smile. I knew that the one on my right was checking me out as I placed their order on the table. I didn’t mind it.

“Anything else, sir?” I asked, looking at the old man who looked like he was already drunk. How come they drink so much in daytime? I wondered. “you have good skin and beautiful face.” he said, and gave me a erted grin. You could even dig golds on his teeth particularly his lateral incisor. Gross. 

Trying to hide my disgust, “Thank you sir. Enjoy your meal.” I said, turning my back.

“wait, I am still talking to you.”

I furrowed my brow when I felt a hand grabbed my wrist. I took a deep breath before I turned and faked a smile. “sir I—“

“I’m sorry miss, but you can go. He’s drunk.” His company said. I nodded in response and turned again.

“You really got some nice and figure!”

Tightly closing my eyes, I felt my blood rushed up inside me as I turned and grabbed his hand from my behind, gripping it tight.

“If you want someone to up with, go find a ing hooker in a ing club you old erted baldhead man!” I exclaimed angrily, enough for everyone in the restaurant to look at us.

“Wha-what is your problem?!” the man said, as he stood unsteadily from his seat. His face flushed and in deep shocked.

“You are my problem you rude man! You dare to lay your dirty hands on me again I’ll  chop your fingers!” I said, picking up the fork on their table pointing it at him. I glared at him closed enough that my hands were shaking because of anger.

“Oh my god Park Bom!” I felt a heavy slapped on my back as I immediately dropped the fork.

“I am sorry mister, I am sorry. she’s still new here and doesn’t know how to act properly.” My eyes widened as I laughed in disbelief at what the ahjumma said. She slapped my back again and I felt a throbbing pain.

“Apologize.” She murmured, commanding me. “I should be the one asking for his apology ahjumma.” I said, looking at the man then to her. She was about to hit my back again but I shove her hands away. Who the hell is she to do that to me again?

“Ahjumma, don’t let me lose my respect on you.  Are you kidding me?“ I asked, looking at her taken aback face. 

“I don’t know how to act properly? It looks like you are the one who doesn’t know how to act properly ahjumma.”

“what? Park bom are you lecturing me? You don’t have the right to say that to me. I am your boss!” she said, pointing her index finger at me. 

“Well now, you’re not.” I said, as i nonchalantly removed my apron and threw it away on the floor.

“I came here to work as a waitress ahjumma. I will never ever lower down myself and beg pardon to something that’s not worth apologizing for.” I said, leaving them behind. I went in my locker room and picked up my things then quickly put on my hoodie and hat before I left the place. I will never come back in this place again.

 

“what? You were  kicked out on your job again?!” uncle Psy looked up from his food angrily.

“No, wasn't kicked out.” I said, sitting on the floor across him. I crossed my legs before I grab my chopsticks on the mini table between us. We were in my apartment eating our dinner.

“if you weren't fired, then what?” he asked,  eating a spoonful of rice inside his mouth. I swallowed my food first before I responded.

“I resigned.” I said.

Choking, he spilled the rice from his mouth as uncle psy looked at me bewildered. 

“here water.” I said, giving him a glass of water which he immediately drank straight. “what’s the difference bom?” he asked, furrowing his brow. “I just don’t feel like working there.” I said, not wanting to say I encountered some erted man. Throughout our meal, he continuously nagged at me which just crossed my ears. “bom, you need to work seriously, right?”

“I know.”

“you didn’t went here in Seoul all the way from Jeju just to waste your time and get fired on your job, right?”

“I know.”

“And your health, you know we’re not rich."

“I know. And I’m taking care of myself.”

“and your situation right n—“

“I know, uncle. I know.” i’m getting annoyed, really.

“sorry.” He said, continuing on his food.

“I’ll find a work starting tomorrow.” I said, as I placed my spoon down on the table and stood up.

“and please bom, will you please control your temper? That’s the main reason why you always get in trouble and . . and yah! Where are you going?! I’m talking here!” he suddenly asked, when he saw me heading toward the door not bothering to listen with him.  I couldn’t just stay with him for a very long time.

“I’ll just get some fresh air. If you’re done eating just leave it there and go home. I’ll clean it up later.”