Chapter 20-1

Cold as ice

JIYONG

Standing by the window glass, I riveted my eyes at the view from my penthouse suite and just watched the color combination of yellow, orange and red lights flickering and illuminating the city. Even though it was raining pretty intensely outside, the view below still looked alive and bustling. Traffics are at peak as rush hour kicked in. The long queue of cars lining up in some other areas of the street had caused a congestion I just hope would be gone by the time I get off from work. Being stuck in a traffic jam after a long day of attending meeting and events was the last thing I needed right now.

Physically, I was exhausted. But this was nothing compared to being mentally drained. It had been a week since I found out the things I didn’t know about Bom and up until now, she had not mentioned anything to me despite that I had already asked if things were okay about her. She only gave me a response with a bobbed of her head and a simple yes before immediately changing the topic. I let the days passed and I saw the way she grew restless every time she thought I wasn’t around. Seeing the way she discreetly fiddled with her phone all the time had made me wonder if she were talking to Yongbae again about her uncle or her debt.

How infuriating.

For a week I didn’t do anything other than to watch, observe and wait, wait, and wait again. But I didn’t have enough patience for I knew I couldn’t just sit back and do those things anymore. That was why, I resulted into doing something that I knew was not a good idea but would definitely helped me to know my next step and Bom as well.

Turning around, I eyed Seungri who busied himself typing in his laptop across my desk. As I sat on the swivel chair, I reached for the brown envelope and pulled out the papers that Seungri had given me just earlier. I could feel my brows furrowing as I read the details attentively. 

FACT INFORMATION SHEET

 

Full Name: Park Bom

Nationality: Korean

Birthplace: Seoul, South Korea

: Female

Birthdate: March 24, 1989

Age: 27

 

Mother’s Name:

Park Hyolin

 Birthdate:

Febuary. 18, 1959

Age:

57

Father’s Name:

Park Sujin

Birthdate:

April 29, 1956

Age:

60

 

Sibling/s: None

 

EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND

Primary School: Global Academy School

Middle School: Global Academy School

High School: Seoul high School

Tertiary Education: N/A

 

PAST WORK EXPERIENCES

 

Cosmos Hotel (3 star)                     Housekeeper

Kingdom Mall                                Cleaning service

Annie’s Boutique                            Saleslady

Stop’n Go convenience store          Clerk

Club lyria bar and grill                    Waitress

Chef Chen’s Restaurant                   Kitchen attendant/waitress

Café Hotspot                                     Server

Song’s Steakhouse                           Waitress

 

PRESENT WORK

Kwon Jiyong (CEO of Luxe Hotel)       Child-care worker

 

IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT THE SUBJECT

*In year 1997, Park hyolin (38 y/o) was involved in a car accident. She was declared dead on arrival at the hospital. 

*In year 2009 while in the midst of a massive storm, a cargo ship collided with another ship causing for both of the vessels to sink. Passengers were saved except for the five persons who were missing and presumed dead including Park Sujin, (53 y/o). 

*Park bom has been living in Seoul and had never travelled anywhere. Currently, she's living with her uncle named, Park Jae-sang whose nickname is Psy. No further information was found about him.

 

Though most of the information listed on the paper were already known to me, there were still some data that rather impressed than surprised me. I thought she only worked in restaurants as a waitress and I wondered why she didn’t include those other jobs she had taken before when she gave to me her resume the first time I interviewed her for her job.

“why is it that there are no dates in her jobs descriptions?” I asked, looking at Seungri who paused from his task.

Leaning back against his seat, “Unlike us where we have human resource department to check and record everything about our employees, In Bom’s case, It’s quite hard to track down the dates of when she had started and ended her work since the establishments she used to work for are just small businesses which aren’t very meticulous and detailed when it comes to hiring an employee. They aren’t as big as us. But based on the information I have acquired through her previous employers, it seems like she doesn’t really stay in one work for a long time. Those job lists are her records in the past three years only.” He explained.

Nodding, I stared at the fact sheet again. “She didn’t go to any college or university?” I asked.

These details seemed vague to me. Even though these were facts Seungri had manage to obtain, some parts of it were pretty confusing and strangely quite unconvincing to me. 

“No, hyung. She wasn’t able to attend college.”

“I want you to check that again.”

“what?”

Looking up from the paper, “why are you giving me that look?” I questioned, staring at the confusion on his face.

Standing up, he stood by the printer in the corner beside the book shelves and pulled out the papers he printed. “Hyung, I’ve done a lot of background checks for you in the past and this is the first time you asked me to double check an information again.”

The way he looked at me as he said it made me feel he was a bit offended. But it wasn’t his skills as a service protection agent I was doubting. It was the credibility of this fact. 

“She was able to finish her studies, Seungri. In her wallet, I had seen a photo of her wearing a black graduation gown.”

“What? That’s impossible.” he frowned, perplexed.

“Why would she have that kind of picture in her wallet if not for that reason?” I asked.

Seungri gave it a thought for a while before he said, “If what you’re saying is true, why is she working here as a nanny? Or why would she even get those low-paid jobs in the first place?”

“I don’t know.”

Rubbing my temples, I confusedly stared at him and shrugged. “She never told me. And I know she’s never going to tell me about it.”

“Did you ask her about it, hyung?”

I nodded. “I did. When we were at Gangwondo. In the yacht, I asked her about her education and she just said the very same thing. She told me she wouldn’t be here if she studied.” 

“Wow.” He suddenly whispered.

I could sense his strong interest in this thing just by the tone of his voice. Seungri had many sources and had always liked checking people’s background particularly my competitors. When I asked him to investigate something about Bom, he immediately abide asked for all the details.

“Her mother passed away when she was only 8 years old. A year older than Miyoung.” I muttered, staring at the paper again. It saddened me to know that she had lost a mother at such a young age.

“Yes. And she was already 20 years old when she lost her father when the cargo ship he was riding sank. According to the news, the ship wouldn’t have sunk completely if it weren’t for the strong typhoon that contributed to the misfortune that happened.”

“You wrote here that 5 bodies were missing including his. Does that mean local authorities had never recovered his body?” I questioned, watching him as he nodded before he took a sit again across the desk.  

“I see you are not able to gather her current circumstances including her uncle and the debt.” I said, as I slipped the papers back into the brown envelope.

“I have to admit I’m having a hard time trying to gather details about that for it seems that Bom doesn’t really associate herself with other people except for her uncle who’s the same as her. They don’t have a lot of acquaintances or friends and . . .” The way Seungri suddenly trailed off and looked hesitantly at me made me arched a brow at him.

“What is it, Seungri?” I asked, leaning my back against my seat.

“look at this.” He said, as he handed me the paper he printed just a while ago. Reaching for it, I read the content and frowned in confusion.

“This is the news about Myung Dae.” I said.

“Hyung when you told me about the text exchanges between Yongbae and Bom I looked through all the possible scenarios that might have happened and I have this ridiculous theory that might be possible.”

That sparked my interest as I immediately said, “What is it?”

Shifting in his position, he leaned forward and clasped his hands together onto the desk. I was used to seeing Seungri taking everything lightly but seeing how his face suddenly became unhumorous made me knew that this was something serious and important.

“This might get confusing to you, hyung but I want to give you an overview of Myung Dae.” He paused. My eyes flickered back at the paper he gave me. “I’ve already told you that he is part of the notorious group called, SK mob right?”

I nodded at him and gestured at him to continue. “Well, this group’s really big that they have sources not only here in our country but also outside the country. I’m pretty sure I’ve already told you that as well. They have alliances with big associations, powerful people who does the same things as them. Since their group is enormous and very organized, the individuals recruited or involved in this organization are divided in categories. It’s like they have their types of expertise.”

“Expertise?” 

 Nodding, “To make it simple, in order for them to continue their illegal activities or transactions, they divided their members and put each person in each branches.

“And what are these branches?”

“branches of crimes.” He paused, emphasizing the words. “Like drug smuggling and trading, human trafficking and ion, gun for hire, money laundering, Illegal gambling and Illegal money lending.”

I kept silent as I tried to absorb in my mind what I heard from Seungri. They were practically a group of criminals engaged in a lot of things that were against the law.  

“Illegal money lending?” I repeated the last thing that he said. I could feel my stomach churning at the possibility of Bom owing a debt from them. Why of all people she would lend a money to those kind of people?

“Loan sharks.” Seungri said. “Bom and her uncle probably owe a debt to them. For what reason? I have yet to find out. Myung dae is part of this group so maybe that’s the reason why Yongbae texted Bom and asked her to watch the news. I am not saying this is 100% true, hyung. But if this is the case, then this is something very serious. I suggest for you to talk to her about it and tell her that you know what's going on. My knowledge about these things are very limited. I could give you details about this and that but the truth will only come from her. If you really want to help her, tell her.”

BOM

 “You look really cute, Miyoung”

Adjusting the bunny ears hoodie over her head, I tucked a loose hair strands behind Miyoung’s ear before I gently pushed her to take a better look at her costume. She was wearing her white rabbit sleepsuit that made her look even more adorable. “really?” she asked, staring at me with her puppy eyes.  

“Yes. You’re the cutest bunny I have ever seen.” I said, smiling.

 When I heard the elevator made a ding sound indicating that we already reached the 20th floor, I stood up and hoisted her pink backpack over my shoulder and walked through the lift’s door. We strolled in the carpeted hallway exchanging little chat about the Pajama party of Seungri's nephew. When I felt her tiny hand held mine, I gently squeezed it and returned the same smile she showed me. "Are you excited?" I asked, noticing how she was all smiley tonight. 

Grinning, "I can't wait to meet my friends and play with them."

"I'm sure they feel the same way too. Do you think you'll be able to sleep tonight without your dad?" I asked, as we neared at the ornate door leading to the penthouse suite. 

"Of course!" She nodded. "I'm a big girl now and besides, it's only for a night so I won't miss him that much. I wish you can go to the party as well." 

"Why?" I asked interestedly as we stopped in front of the door. When I pressed the doorbell, I stared down and focused my attention to miyoung again. "Because it will be much fun if you're there. We can bake again. You know, I brag to haru and sarang unnie that you make delicious cookies." 

Chuckling, "Really? Is it that good?"

"Yes and I hope you haven't forgotten about the cupcakes." the way she looked at me with her gleaming eyes made me her cheek. "I haven't forgotten about that Miyoung. And I’m planning to fulfill that promise once you're done with your upcoming exams."

"Really?" she asked, clutching my hand. 

Lately, Jiyong and I noticed that she had been showing a lot of interest in baking and cooking. She would often join me in the kitchen sometimes to watch me silently as I do my work or help me with my task. 

"Yes and you can invite your friends next time so we can bake all together." 

A huge grin formed in her lips once again as I said that. "But you have to get your dad's permission first." I immediately continued. There were times when I would catch myself speaking as if I had the power to decide in their home.

"Oh, don't worry." she smiled, waving a hand back at me. "Dad will surely agree with me."

 

There was an undeniable strange aura emitting from Jiyong as I sat on the sofa and watched him cleaned the papers and folders on his desk. It had been 10 minutes since Seungri and Miyoung left the suite for the pajama party and 10 minutes since he hadn't talk to me. Normally, he would be all over me but right now, he seemed a bit distracted and distant.

Placing down the book recipe I was reading on the mini table, I stared at him again as he undraped his blazer over his chair and put it on. I stood up from my seat when he approached me. "Shall we go park bom?" He asked softly. There was an edge in his voice that I couldn't quite determine. 

"Mm." I nodded, walking past him. When we headed towards the door, I felt his hand rested behind my waist. The way he stared at me when I peered up at him through my lashes and met his gaze straight on made me skittish.  

"Let's have a dinner date." He said, as he turned the knob and opened the door allowing me to step out first into the hallway. 

"A date?"

Intertwining his fingers with mine, "Yes. I realized I haven’t taken you out on a date yet. I’ve already made a reservation at this restaurant.”

Shrugging, “If it’s just eating, I can just cook.” I said, only to receive a stern side glance from him.

“You should also know that the reason I am taking you out is for you to take a break and relax from your work. Miyoung’s going to spend the night at Seungri’s and . . .”

 When I looked at him through the corner of my eye, a wicked grin spread across his face. “And we have the time for ourselves. I need you to save your energy.”

“And what do you mean by saving my energy?” I asked, nudging his side when he tried to kiss me on my cheek. He was back to being his usual self again.

“Oh, you know what that means, Park bom.”

Stopping on my track, I narrowed my eyes at him. “Jiyong we will just have dinner and go home.” I wanted to appear annoyed but the joyous smile on his face hindered me from doing it.

Stopping in front of the elevator, “Are you sure?” He asked, looking expectantly at me before he pressed the down button against the wall.

“Yes, I am.”  I said with finality. I could feel my cheeks warming up.

“Your voice trembled. A sign of uncertainty.” He teased. “Anyway, I will be taking you on a date.”

The mention of it again made me to secretly examined myself. My threadbare shirt, timeworn jeans and ragged sneakers suddenly made me feel shabby compared to Jiyong who, despite of the long day, still looked so dashing and stylish with his black suit and tie. He was totally the opposite of my run-down look. If I knew he would be taking me out on a date, I would have probably bought myself something decent to wear. An up-to-date blouse or dress from the cheap retail store at the market and a new pair of doll shoes as well. I remember I found a place where they sell buy 1 take 1.

Maybe I should go there sometimes 

The thought of it made me somewhat excited and embarrassed. It wasn't like I wanted to dress up for him but I just wanted to look at least presentable sometimes to match his outer appearance.

"A penny for your thoughts?" I didn't even realize we were already riding the elevator until he took me out of my preoccupation. Shaking my head, I stepped back and leaned against the hand rail. I stared at the landing indicator above the elevator door and noticed we were already at the 15th floor. When he stood across me, mimicking my position. I was certain he was about to tell me something only to be interrupted when the elevator suddenly opened revealing three female hotel staffs. 

"Good evening, Sir Jiyong." They greeted him amiably. 

I thought they were all very pretty. Based on how their hair styled up in a neat bun, their faces and flawless make-up application, I could tell that they were probably from the front office department. They were all wearing the same red blazer over their black dress and paired it up with black stockings and stilettos.  

"Good evening, ladies." he smiled and nodded briefly at them before he scooted in the back corner.  

I had no idea who, but one of these girls should learn the word moderate for I was sure one of them completely bathed herself with a headache-inducing perfume. The scent was too warm, spicy, woody and powdery. I had nothing against with bold fragrances but the damn thing was too overwhelming it felt suffocating. I could smell a heavy scent of incense and myrrh that it made my nose tingled.

When I casted a glance at jiyong, I instantly restrained a smile as I noticed him subtly rubbing and pinching the tip of his nose. His brows scrunched together and when he moved his gaze at me meeting mine, the sudden knowing smile that lifted the corners of his lips and the way his eyes danced with humor made me knew we were thinking the same exact thing. It was like at that moment, our brain waves or whatever you call it had perfectly aligned and both of us understood and enjoyed the inside joke we shared throughout the ride.   

 

“What are we doing here? This isn’t what we’ve planned.”

“I know and I purposely didn’t include you in my planning for I knew you’re going to act like this.”

When I felt someone sat next to me on the sofa, I scooted a little closer to Jiyong and whispered though my gritted teeth. “This isn’t what we’ve planned.”

Abruptly closing the magazine, he turned his head at me making me to back away a little upon noticing his deep frown. “Park Bom, didn’t you tell me before that you don’t have problems with the things I want to do for you? Well, this is one of those things so why are you complaining now to me? Why are you rejecting me again and how many times do I have to tell you not to reject me?”

It wasn't even an outburst but his loud voice was enough for the people inside the salon and spa to look amusingly and simper at us. Embarrassed, I slightly slapped his hand resting on my knees and leaned back against my seat. “Can’t you minimize your voice?” I whispered annoyingly.      

Scowling, “I’ve already paid 500,000 Won and there is no refund, Park Bom.”

Shocked, “No, you didn’t.”

When he kept his face stoic, I looked incredulously at him.  “That’s ing too expensive! Are you out of your mind?”

“Yes, I did.  No, it’s not expensive and I’m not out of my mind.” I noticed the way he suddenly smiled as his gaze moved to the side.

 Looking over my shoulder, I peered at the elderly couple sitting beside me. The fact that they were both beaming at us made me feel a bit bashful. I only smiled and politely bowed my head to them before I turned my attention to Jiyong again.

 “I thought we’re just going to eat?” I asked, as his eyes flickered back at me. The way he suddenly looked at me with a smile tugging the corners of his lips made me feel like he was enjoying a private joke.

“You are ruining my plans, Park Bom. Will you just stop questioning me? And yes, we are going to eat but that has to wait until you’re done here.”

“But—”

 “Jiyong, darling!” Just then, a blonde haired gay guy approached us making me forget what I was about to say.

 Not only I was fascinated at the way he dramatically addressed Jiyong but the way he dressed up fashionably caught my attention as well. He was wearing a navy blue shirt, a red polka-dot bow tie and khaki short with suspender. Just when my eyes landed on his brown dress shoes, I stared up again only to meet his scrutinizing gaze.

“Is she the one I am going to work on, darling?” He asked, gracefully pointing his index finger at me. I noticed his nails tainted with red nail polish. “Yes, George.” Jiyong responded as he stood up and gave him a warm friendly hug. I noticed the way George closed his eyes and exaggeratedly inhaled Jiyong’s signature scent as if he was a newly cooked delicious dish.

 “Hmm . . .La Nuit De L’homme Cologne” He muttered, the complicated name rolling off his tongue.

When they separated, Jiyong glanced down at me briefly. "I want you to take care of my girlfriend, George." 

"Oh." He blinked, turning his attention at me. "Ms. Park Bom." I felt like I was put under a microscope at the way he narrowed his eyes at me and studied me carefully from head to toe. When I glanced at Jiyong again, he was smiling ear to ear. “How long do I have to wait, George?” He asked.

Not taking his eyes away from me, George rubbed his chin thoughtfully as if he was mentally calculating Jiyong’s question. “An hour.” He said, his voice suddenly sounded manly and threateningly low.

"Give me only an hour and she will be done, darling."

 

If someone would ask me to paint a picture in my head of what do I looked like before, I didn’t think I would be able to remember who I was visually. Perhaps, it was because I had gotten so used to and comfortable with my present lifestyle that material things I used to love and get easily before, didn’t matter anymore. And now as I stood here and stared at my reflection through the full length mirror in the lavish dressing room of George’s salon, I felt like I was eyeing a stranger and yet a very familiar person in front of me. A person i hadn't seen in a long time. 

My long dark brown hair was styled in loose curls, falling over my shoulders down to my back. My eyes looked dramatic but not overly done. The eye liner lined and smudged on the top and bottom of my lashes, light brown eyeshadow softly blended on the outer corner and the shimmery champagne set at the center of my lids had brought out the shape of my eye. My cheeks, colored in a subtle hue of pink blush that perfectly complemented the neutral shade of my lipstick on my lips.

Taking a step back from the mirror, I turned side to side as I smoothed my off shoulder red classic cut dress made from an obvious expensive fabric. I liked that it perfectly fit my body bringing out the curves and lines without revealing too much of my skin. The black belt wrapped around my dress had the same color as my pumps which made me grew taller by inches.

If someone would ask me to paint a picture of my past self, this is how I would look like.

“Jenny Park.” I whispered under my breath as I stared at myself in the mirror feeling a little melancholy. I wasn't sure whether i liked what i was seeing or not and somehow, my name didn’t sound and feel right to me. It felt strange after all these years.

“Park Bom.”  

Jumping in fright, I spun on my heels and stared wide-eyed at the man who stood by the door.

“Jiyong.” I muttered, my voice quavering slightly.

 I wasn’t sure whether it was the way he called my name or the way he looked like he had been struck by a lightning that made me feel jittery all of a sudden. When he managed to collect himself, he began taking strides forward. The clicking of the leather heels of his black shoes against the polished linoleum floor seemed to match my pulse. I bit my lip at the growing anticipation of what he had to say to me. As much as I hated to admit it, his opinion about this, I realized, mattered to me.

Stopping across me, he placed his hands on my shoulders and faced me to the opposite side. Our eyes met in the mirror, staring at each other.

“Look at you.” He whispered. Hot breath and lips brushed and mingled against my ear that it took me a lot of effort not to squirm. 

“So beautiful and ravishing.” He continued, his voice sounded so low, husky and y that I thought a sound like that should be strictly used for bedroom purposes only.

Sheepishly nervous, I looked down trying to still my pounding heart and take a break from the intensity of his gaze. 

“This dress George gave me fits me so well.”

"I think I've already held you a lot of times in my arms to know what fits you and not." 

Abruptly staring at his reflection in the mirror, "Did you bought this yourself?" 

"Do you like it?" 

I shrugged. "Not exactly my kind of style but . . ." I paused, hesitating when he suddenly chuckled.

"But?" Giving my shoulders a slight squeeze, his warm hands leisurely travelled down to my bare arms before resting at the sides of my waist, drawing me closer to him. My back pressed against his front. 

"But yes. I like it." I continued, my cheeks flushing red.  

"You do not have any accessories." 

That didn't even occur to me until he mentioned it. “I find it unnecessary anyway.”

A breath of relief escaped through me by the time he released me. When I turned, I saw him pulled out a rectangular black velvet box from his pocket. “What’s this?” I asked, looking at the thing he placed on my palm.  

“Another present for you. Open it.” He urged.

I did what he said and though I already knew what was probably inside, I still felt my mouth hanged in surprised once I saw the sparkling pure gold jewelry that made me to abruptly closed the lid. “I-I can’t.”  I stuttered, placing the box back to his hands.

I felt bad for the look on his face but I couldn’t accept such exquisite and expensive gift. Too much.

“Yes, you can. This is for you.” He sounded authoritative that before he could even take my hand, I stepped back.

I knew deep inside of me that I also wanted to look good for him that was why when he brought me here and told me about this surprise, I didn’t make too much fuss and just went along with it. But damn, everything was costly. When we were at the hospital and I told him that I had no problems with what he wanted to do for me, I think It slipped my mind that he was actually capable of doing everything with his wealth.                            

I shook my head in disapproval. “My hair, my make-up, this dress alone costs more than my monthly income. My entire savings. And this heels. . .” I paused, looking intently him trying to make my point valid.

“It’s . . . " I trailed.

"Christian Louboutin.” I explained, stressing the brand name hoping that was enough for him to understand me.

Rather than upset, he looked at me as if he found me entertaining. “This is only the beginning and you’re already making it hard for me, Park Bom.” He said, as he opened the box again. I swallowed hard upon seeing the thin gold necklace with a heart-shaped pendant on it.

“Turn around, I will put this on you.”

Shaking my head, “No, I can’t accept such lavish gift.” 

What if I lost that thing?

“You do realize you’re rejecting me right now, again. Am I right?”

Sighing, “I am not rejecting you. It’s just that . . . that’s too . . .”

“Expensive? Lavish?” He asked, arching his brow at me. “Yes. It is very expensive, Park bom. 24 carat gold, customized and one of a kind but I don’t care about that.”

“Well, I care.” I retorted, surprised at the details of the precious jewelry. “You don’t have to do this, Jiyong.”

“I know.” He nodded in affirmation.

 “I know I don’t have to do this. I could have bought you something cheaper or nothing at all, make you cook or brought you home instead of taking you out for a dinner. But I am hell-bent to please you, to treat you to something I know you would like and see to it that you have everything I think you deserve. I just hope that you would only look at my intention instead of noticing the financial value of these things.”

It was strange how this situation made me suddenly remember Seunghyun. Back then, I used to tell to him not to worry if he wasn’t able to give me anything he couldn’t afford. He always felt bad whenever I gave him presents and that he couldn’t give me something in return. I didn’t care anyway for as long as I was with him. All those things I did for him, I did it out of love and not to shove the differences between us. Now as I stood here motionless while watching the man in front of me silently studying me with his searching eyes, I think I had already understood what Seunghyun had felt. The burdensome feeling of receiving an unwanted gift that made feel somewhat guilty and made me feel the need to reciprocate.

As if sensing my discomfort, "If you feel indebted, please don't." He muttered. "I want to do this and I would gladly give everything for you." 

But I also understand this man. I've been in his position and done the same thing. Heck, there are times when his actions reminds me of myself and how i treated Seunghyun before. But he isn't like me. He is incomparable in so many levels. He is beyond generous. Beyond everything that is positive and it is starting to intimidate me.   

Unable to resist the beseeching look in his eyes, I took steps forward only to clumsily stagger because of my heels. When I peered at him, I noticed the way his lips slightly curved up as his eyes landed on my feet obviously entertained at me. I hated that he was always so attentive of me that every single thing I did would be noticeable to him. 

"I might lose that valuable necklace, Jiyong." I said, regaining my composure.  

"Good." He nodded, still smirking. "That's why you have to take care of it and wear it all the time."

Just by hearing the persistence in his voice made me already knew that he wasn't going to take my no for an answer. The way he looked so hopeful made me hesitated to say my pending rejection to him as well. It was like i was being pulled into him by some magnetic force that I found myself clarifying things instead of downright refusing him.

"I prefer food, flowers and practical and fleeting things as gifts. Not something permanent and expensive as this." I said, as I reached for the velvet box from his hands and gently opened it.

“But I prefer to give you things like that.”

“And what are you planning to buy next? A car?” I asked, arching a brow at him.

He flashed his teaseful smile again. “A car so you won’t commute since I’m worried every night when you go home late. I’m also considering to buy the lot near my house so you and your uncle will have a better place to live in. And besides, I don’t like you living next to Yongbae.”

Scoffing, “Very funny, Jiyong.”

When he kept his face passive as he stared at me, “What? You’re not kidding?” I asked, bewildered. I was pretty sure the panic was obvious in my voice but it didn't faze him as he kept staring blankly at me.

“You're crazy.” I whispered in disbelief.  Too stunned to think of other words to define him and his actions.  

“I’m not. I told you I just want the best for you.”

“Do you realize what you are doing?" i questioned, narrowing my eyes at him. "You are investing too much on me, Jiyong.” 

“Park bom, I'm a business man and I’ve been in the business for a long time that calling you an investment is not even right. You only invest when you expect or gain something in return. With you, I am not asking for anything in return.”

Ignoring the sudden drum beats of my heart, “I don’t want those things, do you understand?”

“I do, for now. But someday you will have those.” He grinned. “It’s good that you told me what you prefer as gifts. I’ll put that in mind and you will have those things as well.”

It seemed like most of the things that I said just entered and exited in his ears proving me that there was no stopping him now. He sounded so decisive I wondered when did he all thought of those extreme ideas. 

Looking down at the opened jewelry box, I touched the small golden heart-shaped pendant with my fingertips. It was a simple and yet lovely necklace. when I turned the pendant, my brows slightly arched up as I noticed the letter engraved at the back of it. I bit my lower lip preventing  myself from smiling at the sickly sweet sight. 

"I am assuming the letter J stands for your name." I muttered, staring at the initial. 

He was smiling cheekily again when I looked at him again. if i didn't know him, I wouldn't think that this man had suffered enough misery and sorrow in his life with the way he beamed at me all the time. 

"You own me. I belong to you."

Always so outspoken and upfront. 

Even now, he still never failed to impress me with his candid demeanor.  

Nodding, "If you don't mind, help me put this on." I said, as I turned and slowly breathe out the air I didn't  realize I was holding. His eyes glinted with something I could only define as glee. I focused my attention at his reflection in the mirror as he busied himself neatly brushing my hair to the side of my shoulder. The way he did it naturally was pretty fun to watch. He looked as though he was being careful not to ruin the curls. 

One of the perks of being a dad to a daughter.

Gently, he put the necklace around my neck. I felt his fingers brushed against my skin sending ticklish vibrations in my body. I knew he was aware of his effect on me as a playful smile crossed his lips.

"Done." He said as soon as he was able to fasten the jewelry.

I touched the pendant resting at the crook of my neck before I felt myself being turned to him. He looked so pleased, it was unavoidable not to smile back at him. 

"You know it's not the dress, your make-up, or this necklace that makes you even more beautiful and attractive." He paused.

I stared anywhere but him only to have my chin held by his fingers and made me focused my attention on him alone. "It's you, Park bom." 

If compliments could set a person on fire, I would be in a blaze right now. Burnt. Roasted. Fried. Scorched. I could feel my cheeks warming up as he it gently with the back of his hand. I literally wanted to combust or melt or evaporate. I wanted to tell him that he should stop feeding me with admiration and flattering but the words I wanted to utter were stuck in my throat, buried in the swarm of butterflies plaguing my stomach and forgotten at the feel of his lips lingering at the base of my neck where the golden heart pendant was resting. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

hello! i know i promised a long chapter but i haven't finish it yet so i'm going to divide it into parts again. I'm so sorry if it took me so long to post an update. I've just been very busy in the past weeks, reviewing and working at the same time that i was physically and mentally exhausted. I'm reading all of your comments and it makes me feel bad for not updating fast. Anyway, as you guys know i like giving you good updates so i hope that even just a little, i am able to satisfy you with this chapter. Again, Thank you for reading! And feel free to leave a comment if you like. I'm always curious of what you think as it always gives me an idea of what you like and dislike. :)  

There will be more happenings in the next chapter. hehe *evil grins