Chapter 2

Cold as ice

JIYONG

Like what I had promised earlier to that celebrity, I looked for her necklace as soon as the crowd left. It took me more than an hour before I find it near the trash bin. Now, as I stood in front of her suite, waiting for her to open the door, I couldn’t help but stared at it. It looked so ordinary almost like a very common accessory design.

“who—“ the door finally opened.

“Hi, this is yours right?” I asked, holding up the necklace. I could see the reaction in her face. I wasn’t that sure but I think I saw her eyes got teary as I handed back to her the star necklace she was looking for.

“You found it, thank you!” she said, smiling ear to ear at me.

“You’re welcome.” I said, smiling.

“And I’m sorry for being quite rude to you earlier.”  She added, looking concern at me.  

“No, it’s okay.” I said, taking a step backward. “So . . i guess, I’m done here. Have a nice stay Ms. Dara Park.” I said, bowing down. Before I even took my first step, she called my attention again.

“Wait.” i turned to look at her.

“I still don’t know your name, I mean you’re the one who helped—“

“Jiyong. ” I said, smiling.

“My name’s Kwon Jiyong.”

BOM

It was 11 in the evening when I decided to go home already. While I was on my way home, I felt like someone was following me. Ilooked back, but I didn’t see anyone. Fixing my hat, I zipped up my hoodie shielding myself from the cold wind. The narrow and silent street on the way to my apartment was filled with light posts. There were no signs of other people except me walking down the street. I wasn’t that far from my home when i suddenly noticed from a far a number of suspicious men wearing black suits in front of my doorstep. I stepped back and hid myself in the light post as I carefully watched them. I peeked, and noticed there were six of them.

“Who are they?” I murmured, when I saw them knocking on the door repeatedly.

 I leaned against the wall when I saw one of them looked at my direction. I sensed danger. Did they saw me? A few seconds later, I peeked again and they were all gone. I let out a sigh before I hurriedly went home. As soon as I unlocked and opened the door I noticed a paper fell from it. I picked it up and unfolded it.

“what the hell is this!?” I exclaimed, surprised when I saw an 8 digits amount of money.

I was so preoccupied and was busy thinking, when I suddenly got startled as I heard a continuous knock on the door. I stood in my place and didn’t even plan on opening the door. I was about to call uncle Psy on my phone when suddenly, “Bom, are you there? Open the door.” Somehow I felt weird by the careful tone of his voice. I hurriedly went to the door and opened it.

“Uncle?!” I was bewildered, seeing the blood and black eye on his face. He looked so weak and unstable to walk.

“what happened? Let me help you.” I asked, as I put his arm over my shoulder and supported him as we walked inside. Once I settled him on the floor, I opened the door once again to see if something’s suspicious then locked it immediately.

“why do you look like that? Who did this to you?” I asked, as I pulled out my first aid kit inside my drawer. “have you seen random guys here bom?” he asked, his eyes closing weakly. “what do you me—“ suddenly, I remembered the men in black suits.

“so you know them?” I asked. “what did you do this time again uncle?” I asked, annoyed and worried.

“I didn’t do anything bom.” he defended.

“then what is this 10 000 000 won?!” I hissed, showing the paper bill before I cleaned the blood on his lips using a clean towel.

“Ouch! Easy bom.” he whined.  

“I didn’t lend that money.” He paused, his brows furrowed with anger. “I have this friend I know for a very long time and one day, he asked me if I want to be his business partner. I asked what kind of business he was planning to put up and he said something like a restaurant to be put in Gangnam. I was so excited because I thought I could earn big amount of money for us. but . . . ” Uncle Psy stopped and looked down on the floor. His eyes went almost teary. He was betrayed.

“But I didn’t know the money he would be using for our business start-up would be the money from the loan sharks!” he exclaimed, his eyes burning with anger.

 “but how come you didn’t know it was from the loan sharks?”

“he said a friend of his was willing to lend us money. I didn’t know it was those dangerous men. I found it out just earlier when I went to his house and the landlord said he was gone. He run away. And what’s worst is, he used my name as the lender to the loan sharks!”

“then how did they find you?”

 “I met them on my way here and they were all targeting me. I told them it wasn’t me but my friend boom. When I said I will not pay them and I don’t have money, they all punched me and kicked me and threatened me that they will kill me. Good thing, I had the chance to escape from them.”

“but why did they went here? this is not even where you live.” I asked as I put on some ointment on his face. “give me your hand.” I said, as I carefully lay them on my lap and wrapped it with .

“I don’t know too bom. it might be that bastard who gave the address.” He said, looking tired “it’s dangerous here now bom. let’s get out of here.”

I looked up from his hands to uncle. I raised my brow questioning him. “To where are you planning to stay? We don’t have money we can’t even afford to pay the rent here. We’re not going anywhere. I am not going anywhere, uncle.” I looked straight at him. “this is your problem. Deal with this.” I said, as I stood up from the floor and put back the first aid kit on the drawer.

“Bom, what if . . . we ask. . .I mean . . . the money” he trailed.

As If i knew what he was going to say, I glanced sternly at him. “I will never ever ask for help uncle. If I ever found out that you asked money, you will never see me again and I’ll treat you just like them.” I warned.

“Sorry, I’m just worried for your safety bom. I guess I’m really a no use.” He sighed.

“Stop acting so dramatic uncle. this is not the right for some self-pity. we could pay that money, just tell them to give you time.”

I said, stopping myself from rummaging my cabinet. “I’ll try to find a work by tomorrow. I promise.” I continued.

That night, I let uncle stay for the night which I regretted later on. I couldn’t sleep for he snored so loud. When I woke up next morning, he was already gone.

 

The day went by and I still couldn’t find a job. My feet was aching so much that I decided to sat down first on the chair I found in the street. Massaging my legs, I looked at the news paper I was holding and crossed out the last job available with a red pen. I sighed in frustration before I threw the paper in the trash bin across me. I was about to stand up from my seat when suddenly something light flew over my face. I removed the paper in annoyance and was about to throw it when suddenly, i saw something was written on it that reads: hiring: babysitter.  I stared at it for quite a long time. At the bottom of the paper, I noticed a contact number and some important details about the job.

“No way, I’m not going to be a baby sitter. I hate babies.” I said to myself.

 but what about the 10 000 000 won bom? my mind questioned.

“Uncle Psy.” I sat down on the chair again and crossed my legs. I was battling whether I should try this or not. after a long thought, I decided to dial the number. Fishing out my phone on my pocket, I punched the numbers in my keypad and dialed the number stated on the paper. I put it closed to my ear and let out a heavy sighed. “If this work out then I’ll get this job If not, then no.” I murmured. the phone rang many times already, I was going to end the call when I heard a voice from the other line.

“Kwon Ji yong, speaking.” The voice said.

“er . . . . . uh…” suddenly I was lost for words.

“hello?” he asked.

“uh . . . I saw that you are hiring a baby sitter. I just want to ask if the job's still available?“

please say no.

“Yes.”

damn!

“are you interested in the job?” he questioned. 

“Yes, sir.”

No.

“Okay then. May I get your name? Do you know the Luxe hotel?”

“My name's Park bom and yes, I know the place, sir.” I responded.

“Okay then, Ms. Park. Just meet me tomorrow at the lounge 9 o'clock in the morning. I need your requirements such as your resume and a valid ID, alright?”

“uh yes, thank you sir.” With that, I hung up the phone.

 

JIYONG

“who called you, hyung?” Seungri asked, when he saw me talking with someone earlier.

“just someone applying for a baby sitter.” I said, nonchalantly. Before I could even took a bite of my sandwich I noticed Seungri smirking. “what’s funny?” I asked.

“hyung I wouldn’t be surprised if your daughter entered the Guineas book of world record!” He said, laughing maniacally.

“it’s Guinness dumb .” I corrected.

“whatever! That’s the same.” He reasoned.  “that chae won you hired was the 49th right?” he asked. I nodded slightly. 

“Your daughter is a gangster I wonder if she’s torturing them.” he said, chuckling.

 truthfully, I don’t know too.

“Seungri, my daughter is not that kind of kid. she’s very sweet and loving, okay?” I said.  “and—“

“Mr. kwon.”

I looked over my shoulder when I heard a voice calling my name. “Ms. Park.” I stood up from my seat and bowed down. I looked at her confusedly when she began to laugh.

“you’re being too formal Mr. Kwon. I’m just the same age as you there’s no need to bow.” She said, smiling.

“and I prefer if you just call me dara.” She added.

“oh. I’m sorry Ms. Pa—I mean, dara.” I stuttered.

“so how’s your stay here?” I asked.

“it’s good. The services are great.” She said, flashing her sweet smile at me. 

 We stood across each other in silence before I finally realized I was eating with Seungri. “oh, do you wanna eat with us?” I invited. I noticed Seungri eyeing her. “No thank you. I just came here to greet you Mr. kwo—“

“Just Ji yong, please.” I interrupted.

Smiling, she nodded at me. “Okay Ji yong. Anyway, I need to go for i will be late on my schedule. I just really came here to greet you.”

"Sure, see you around Dara.” When she was gone already, I sat down on my chair and Seungri leaned in closer. “hyung! that’s dara Park! You’re friends with her? you know her?”

“what a nosy man.” I said, pushing his face away. “I’m not friends with her.” I said.

“She’s really pretty, but you know there are rumors about her family. do you know that?” he asked. I didn’t respond and continue eating my foods. “they said she’s an illegitimate child.” I glanced up at him. “Seungri stop telling nonsense. You know, she’s the only child of Ji hoon.”

“I know, but sometimes I wonder if it’s true.”

“let’s not talk about it here. we’re in the hotel and she's a VIP guest.” I said.

 

BOM

“Let go of him!” I attacked the man who was holding uncle’s collar with all my strength but he just pushed me away making me lose my balance and accidentally fell on the floor. “Bom!” uncle yelled. “yah Psy! I need the money now!” the man yelled angrily.

“I-I promise I’ll pay you. but we don’t have money now.” uncle said. I stood up and grabbed his wrist when he was about to punch him again. “stop or I’ll call the police!” he looked at me. “police? Are you threatening me young lady?” he let go of uncle’s collar and faced me.

I took a step backward. “hurt me or I’ll report you to the police for physical abuse and illegal money lending!” I yelled, glaring at him. he stopped walking toward me and eyed me suspiciously. “you think I’m kidding?” I threatened, as I held up my phone and dialed the police number. “if you dialed the police number your uncle will be imprisoned too.”

“I don’t care.” I said. both of them looked shocked. “I’m tired of him anyway. It’s better if he stay there in the prison with you.” the two of them didn’t talk. I saw a smirk playing on the man’s face.

“Looks like your niece is shooing you away, Psy.” The man patted his shoulder.

“end the call.” he commanded. I ended the call. “don’t you ever hurt him or me again.” I warned. “you’re pretty tough for a pretty woman like you.” he said.

“I’ll pay you the money in 5… No” I stopped. “in 3 months. We will give you the money in 3 months. just don’t come here again.” I said. He watched me carefully as he fished out a cigarette from his chest pocket and lit it with a lighter. “what if you don’t?”

“you can do anything you want.” I said.

“bom what are you saying?!” Uncle psy shook my arms, looking so worried.

“I like that.” he smirked. 

“don’t come near me!” I warned, when he was about to touched my face.

“if you're not able to pay your loan after 3 months. You will be working for me lady.”

“as if I will let you do that.” I said, giving him a smug look.

“get lost or I’ll change my mind and call the police” noticing I was serious about it, the man refrained his steps, smoking his cigarette.

“ha! Fine fine I’ll go.” We watched him walked away from us. “see you after 3 months lady!” he yelled. When he was completely gone, I didn’t realize I was so tensed and shaking until uncle Psy patted my shoulder. I looked at him.

“That’s very dangerous, bom. What the hell are you thinking?!” he said.

“that’s the only way to stop him.” I said, as I entered inside my apartment.  

“it’s impossible to pay that money within 3 months!” he exclaimed, following me behind.

“I already found a job.” I turned to look at him. “we can pay that. Trust me.”

“bom—“

“Uncle please, I’m tired will you please just leave me alone?” I stood waiting for him to get out of the house. “Bom, if something dangerous happens to you, I will not think twice to bring you back to Jeju.”

“if you try you will never se—“

“I am your uncle bom!” I was taken aback when he raised his voice at me. “even if you always don’t show any respect to me, even if you always go against me and even if you want me to put in prison I am still your mom’s brother. So whatever decision I will make you will follow me. You are my responsibility.” He said.

my lips pressed together as he remained standing across me.

“lock the door and rest.” He said, walking out of the door. I remained standing motionless. My hands balled into fist as I remember the things he said. “I will never go back to them again.

 

The next day, I happened to wake up early. Looking at my watch, I decided to wander around the street of Seoul since I have plenty of time before meeting someone in the Luxe Hotel. My thoughts were full of questions as to why it had to be that famous hotel.

“he must be rich.” I muttered.

While I was passing some few shops, I noticed through the glass window in one of the store, the television advertisement playing. I watched the girl acting so sweet and charming in the etude commercial. while I was watching, I happened to look over my shoulder. My eyes widened in disbelief.

 

JIYONG

“here’s your chocolate hon—“

I looked over my shoulder and didn’t find mi yeong. We were at the cake shop buying her favorite chocolate cake. “mi yeong?” I walked around the shop to find her. she was just standing beside me a while ago and suddenly she was gone. While looking for her, my eyes suddenly fixed to the glass window. I saw mi yeong near the road crying with a suspicious person holding her firmly in place. Immediately running out of the store, I stormed out and went over to my daughter.

“what did you do to her?!” I exclaimed, snatching my daughter away from the person’s grip.

“Miyoung, what happened?” I crouched down and wiped her tears. She was sobbing uncontrollably.

“what happened to your knees?” I asked, worriedly.

turning my attention to the person across me, I stood up. “who are you? are you trying to kidnap her?” I was surprised when the man didn’t respond and just walked away.

“Hey, Are you even listening to me? I’m talking to you!” I grabbed him by shoulder.

“Mister.” I heard an airy soft voice. She’s a woman.

Removing my hand that gripped her shoulder, she turned to look at me. I couldn’t see her face as it was covered with hat. Her hair tucked under. “your daughter could have died if I didn’t save her from the fast moving car earlier.” She said.

 I couldn’t contain the shocked on my face. I looked at my daughter. her clothes so dirty and messy. “what did I told you?!” I scolded. “didn’t I tell you to stay beside me!?” I said, raising my voice.

“I-I’m sorry dad. I'm so sorry.” She cried, wiping her tears with the back of her hand.  

I closed my eyes as I exhaled with deep breaths before crouching down hugging her tightly in my arms. I patter her head as she sobbed. “don’t do that to me again okay?” I asked, she nodded.

“I can’t imagine life without you miyoung.”

“I’m—I’m really so-sorry dad.” She stuttered.

“hush now, I know. Don’t cry.” While I was trying to calm her down, I looked up to the woman.

“wait.” I called her attention when she was about to go.

“I’m sorry about earlier.” I said, as I stood up. I fished out my wallet in my pocket. “here.” I said, giving her all the paper money. “what is that?” she asked.

“uh this is for saving my daughter.” I explained..

“I know.” She said. “but is that all you can give? You look rich.” She added.

I was completely surprised by her. Faking a cough, I opened my wallet again but there was not enough cash.

“You’re really giving me more?” she smirked.

“but aren’t you asking for more?” I asked.

“As expected from a rich guy like you.” She said, snatching the money from my hand before she left. As I watched her walk from a far, I noticed her unstable walk.

“did she hurt herself?” I was about to follow her when Miyoung suddenly tugged my suit.

"Daddy i need to pee"