Chapter 19

Cold as ice

JIYONG

“Yongbae.”

Gritting my teeth, I scrolled my thumb over the phone’s screen as I read Bom and this guy’s conversations. I knew that what I was doing right now was wrong but I couldn’t help myself from prying now that I had read things I didn’t know happened or was happening in my girlfriend’s life.

“Park Bom. . . you . . .” I tightly shut my eyes as I sighed exasperatedly.

Placing down the phone on the round table across me, I got up from my seat and stood by the balcony. It was already 2 in the morning and here I was, still reading the messages again and again trying to analyze everything and trying to understand why Bom wasn’t telling me the truth. The truth about her uncle not really being sick and the truth that she was currently having financial issues because of a debt. A debt I wished she told me. I had no idea when did it all started but based from what I had seen from their text exchanges; her uncle had been gone since the time she came back from Gangwondo. She didn’t see him yet but he managed to give the money through Yongbae.

The reason why she suddenly left the hospital yesterday.

Her face when she answered my questions to her when she arrived yesterday suddenly popped up in my head. The way she effortlessly and smoothly answered me with no hesitation or wavering a bit made me realized how good she was at keeping her secret. Or maybe she wasn’t really good. Maybe I just really never doubted her. There was no reason to doubt her anyway. I wanted to believe that she had her own reasons just like how she wasn’t telling me about her education. But considering the days that had passed and the amount of time we had together to give her an opportunity to open up to me about her dilemma, my gut feeling was telling me that she wasn’t planning to tell me about these things.

For what reason? I don’t know.

There were messages from Yongbae as well that didn’t make sense to me for Bom didn’t respond to him. For instance, he texted her to watch the news, three times in a row. I checked the date of that message and that was the day I got into an accident. At first I thought he was talking the news about me but I realized that the first news about my accident came out in the middle of that night. Yongbae’s text was sent a few hours after I was rushed to the hospital.

So what was this news that he was referring about?

Turning around, I picked up the phone from the table again and opened her inbox. I’d also read the messages Bom had sent to her uncle who I found out based on his contact name, was called, Psy. The contents of her texts to him were mostly consisted of, where are you, uncle? Your phone’s ringing why’re you not answering your phone and replying to my messages? I haven’t seen you since I got back from Gangwondo and we need to talk for I need to tell you something.

Not once her uncle responded to her except for the last message that came from him and made me knew about her another issue which was the debt. The text from her uncle said,   

Bom, I'm sorry if I suddenly left without saying a word to you. The thing is, I’ve been working for this company and they are willing to pay me huge amount of money. I know you're doubting me right now since I always end up getting in trouble but I’m doing this for you and I hope you'll believe me once I get back. The money for the debt is in yongbae's hands. It is not much but it will help a lot.

“I always end up getting in trouble.” I muttered, reading that line over and over again. Sitting down on a chair, my brows scrunched together as I stared at the message like some kind of an object of experiment. Something about that particular line made me feel a sense of déjà vu. A strange familiarity.

“what is it?” I wondered.  

Then it hit me.

“The yacht.” I muttered in realization.

It was impossible for me to forget that one for it was the first time we conversed and opened up some personal matters about each other particularly our personal lives. I clearly remember every details of it as clear as the memory of the short kiss we shared afterwards.

Why did you choose this kind of work? Because like what I’ve said, it’s not in line with your work.

It’s complicated. I was desperate to find a work at that time because my uncle got in trouble.

What trouble?

It’s nothing. He got sick and wasn’t able to pay the hospital bill.

“Could it be?” I asked confusedly to myself. 

Could it be possible that what she said that time was another lie as well? Could it be that what she said were related to these things that were happening right now? these things that she didn’t tell me? Was this debt the reason why she decided to get this job? Could it be that the hospital bill she was referring to was actually the debt? These theories that were forming in my head seemed too much for a possibility but a part of me was believing some of it might be true. Right now, I had so many questions that I knew only she could answer.

 Letting out another heavy breath, I walked through the French door to my room and watched Bom curled up like a ball while sleeping soundlessly on the bed. Picking up her hoodie on the floor, I slipped her phone back inside the pocket before I neatly draped it over the chair. I carefully sat on the bed and leaned against the headboard while watching her. There was something about the way she slept that made her even more attractive. She looked serene.  

I know your intention is good and that you just want to help me but I will come to you willingly when I really need it, Jiyong.

Her voice echoed again in my head. “When will you ever willingly come to me, Bom? You don’t even tell me what’s happening to you.” I whispered as I watched her slowly stirred on the bed.

A soft moan came out from her as she stretched out her arm feeling the side of the bed with her hand as if she was searching for something. When I placed my hand on top of hers, she clutched it and then placed my palm against her soft cheek that I caressed. Despite of this uneasy feeling, a smile still crept on my lips seeing her action.  

 “I want you to look for me just like this.” I muttered, as I leaned down and planted a lingering kiss on her cheek.

 

The next morning,

“Dad?”

I was busy cooking in the kitchen when I happened to hear that familiar sweet voice. Turning around, I saw Miyoung standing in the doorway looking so cute and drowsy with her pink sleepwear dress. I chuckled at the way she blinked repeatedly and rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand as if making sure she wasn’t dreaming. When she looked at me again, a huge grin slowly made way on her lips as she ran to me.

“Dad!” She yelled cheerfully as she hugged my legs.

If people would see us they would think that we just got reunited after 10 years of being apart.

“I can’t carry you right now for my arm is still not fully healed but can I have a morning kiss?” I asked, as I crouched down to her level.

 Giggling, she nodded and gently cupped my cheeks with her tiny hands and showered me with her sweet and quite sloppy kisses.

“I’m so happy you’re here. When did you get back, dad?” She asked, her eyes twinkling.  

“Really? I came to your bedroom last night but you were already sleeping.” I said, as I peck her lips one last time before I stood up and checked the eggs I was frying in the pan. “Did you have a good night sleep?” I asked.

“Mm. Does that mean there’s no need for you to go back to the hospital?” she asked, hugging my right leg.

“Yes, sweetheart.” I paused, petting her head. “Why don’t you go and sit over the table we’ll talk there while you eat your breakfast.”

“Okay!” she exclaimed, cheerfully.

Just when she turned her back on me, she faced me again and asked, “Where’s Bom unnie?”

Staring at her, “She was cooking here earlier but she’s feeling a little unwell so I decided to give her a rest.” I explained.

She is actually still fast asleep.  

“Unwell? Does she need to go to the hospital too?” The worry etched on her face made me smile.

“No, she doesn’t need to.”

Nodding, “I should visit her later in the guest room before I go to school.”

“No, don’t.” I abruptly said making her to stop hopping and turned to face me again.

 “Why, dad?” I could tell she didn’t quite like that notion for a small pout formed in her lips.

“Because . . . Uh . . .” I trailed off.

Because she’s in my bedroom and I’m afraid you won’t like that.

“She also has a mild fever and I don’t want you to catch that.” I explained, staring at her innocent face. She looked intently at me before she nodded again. “But how about later in the afternoon when I get home from school?”

“I’m pretty sure she’ll be fine by then so yes, you can.”

“Really?” Her eyes lit up.  “Okay, then.” She grinned as she turned her back, hopped across the kitchen floor and left me amused at her.

 

Placing down the plate of pancakes and bacon on the dining table, I pulled a chair and sat beside Miyoung who was already chugging down her glass of milk. “Your uncle Seungri’s going to accompany you to school today, okay?”  I said, watching her as she heartily chewed a strip of bacon. She only nodded in response as she fixated her whole attention on her breakfast. Mussing her hair, I leaned against my seat and just pulled out my phone checking if there were any important messages or calls I had missed. I was going to put it back in my pocket when I suddenly remembered something I needed to do. Scrolling my thumb against the screen, I looked for Mr. Park’s contact number.  I got it from him personally when we had dinner together before. I just gazed at it for a second, quickly glanced at Miyoung and got up as I pressed the call button. Pressing the phone against my ear, I stood by the sideboard and casually flipped the business magazine that opened to an article that was surprisingly about him and his Resort.

“Jeju Royal Resort . . . Parks Incorporation”

“What a very nice place.” I murmured, looking at the pictures of their luxurious hotel and resort. The phone had rung multiple times before I heard the familiar brusque voice in the other line.

“Jiyong.”

“Mr. Park.” I paused. “I apologize for calling you at such an early time. I hope I didn’t wake you up.”

“What made you disturb my sleep, young man?”

Jeez, this old man. “It’s about your request, Mr. Park. “I’ve made a decision.” I added.

“Of course, you have. You didn’t seem to be the kind of person who has a lot of time in his hands to care for a chitchat with me, are you?”    

Something about that made me smirk. Without any further ado I continued and said, “I will train your daughter but under in one condition.”

“What condition?”

“Well, since you told me before that I just have to think of her as an intern, then I would really treat her like an intern. And in order for her to do that, she would have to undergo my interview. I know she’s your daughter and I know your capabilities, sir but I have to—”

“to review her qualification. Am I right?” He interrupted. 

Clearing my throat, “Not really the exact words but, yes.”

There was a short silence that transpired in the line before I heard his voice again. “Interesting. Very well, if that’s what you prefer. I have no problems with that.” Just from the tone of his voice, I could tell that he was smiling.

“I have some other things I need to mention to you but I prefer discussing that matter personally and not over the phone, Jiyong. Why don’t we meet up once you are fully recovered?”

Even though we weren’t talking face to face I still nodded. “Certainly, Mr. Park. I do have some other things I want to clarify with you as well. I’ll just contact you then.”

“You agreed on this already, Jiyong. There’s no turning back now.”

“This is strictly business Mr. Park and I don’t take my words back once I’ve said it.”

Chuckling, “Good. For now, let’s keep this agreement confidential. Give me a call once you’re already in good health.”

As I hung up the phone, I turned my attention again to Miyoung who was done eating her breakfast. “Are you done? Come, I’ll bathe you.” I said.

“No, dad. I’ll do it. I’m a big girl now.”

The way she said it almost shyly made my brows rose up in surprised. 

Oh, modesty cues. She’s growing up now.

Understanding her need of privacy, I nodded and smiled at her. “Sure sweetie. Go take a bath now while I prepare your school stuff.”

By the time Miyoung finished bathing and dressing herself with her school uniform, Seungri arrived in our house carrying documents he wanted me to sign. “Hyung, these things need your approval sign.” He said, placing the folders on the table in the living room. I just nodded and remained sitting on the sofa as I watched Miyoung sitting down on the floor while arranging the things in her trolley bag. My attention flickered to the TV Seungri had opened before he sat next to me.

“So hyung when are you going to be allowed to go to work again?” He asked, flipping through the channels.

“I don’t know. Dongwook hyung said I still need to rest. By the way, I just talked to Mr. Park earlier.”

“You did? Did you already tell him about your decision?” He asked, looking at me.

“Yes.” I responded. “There are still a few things we need to talk about though.”

“That’s a good decision. Who knows maybe one day the two of you could work together in some deal or joined project. Did you already tell Bom about this?”

“Not yet. Mr. Park asked for this matter to remain private for the meantime.”

“Bom might not like the idea of you keeping this from her especially now that there’s an ongoing dating rumor about you and dara.” He said as he lowered his voice at the last part to avoid letting Miyoung hear him.

I grabbed the remote from him and changed the channels. I was going to respond to what Seungri said when I stopped at the news channel and remembered something. “By the way, Seungri. Are there some scandalous or shocking news that happened on the day I got into an accident?” I asked, staring curiously at him.

“You mean other than your shocking accident news?” He scoffed. “I’m not very certain about that for I was busy taking care of your needs that day, hyung and . . .  oh, that’s it!” he exclaimed.

I followed his finger index finger that suddenly pointed at the TV. I frowned confusedly as I stared at the bearded man’s face flashed in the screen. His eyes were hollow and his cheeks sunken. “What is it?” I asked.

“The news about Myung Dae.” He said. “He’s not only a notorious drug dealer, Hyung but he’s also involved in a group called, SK mob. They do all sorts of illegal activities and is even considered a danger in this country since they have a lot of connections from powerful people not only inside but outside the country as well.” He explained. “He’s been in the news for days now. Why are you asking anyway?” He questioned, looking at me.

I nodded in response at him as I kept my gaze on the man. I couldn’t think of any reason at all that could link Bom to this man so I just shook the unnecessary thoughts away. “nothing, I just got curious. Are there any news aside form that?”

He shrugged. “I don’t have any idea about the rest. Hyung, there’s this thing called internet and google, you know. If you’re really curious you can just search it up.”

“You do realize you’re talking to your boss, right?” I asked, turning off the TV with my remote while glaring at him.

“But your best friend as well.” He grinned as he stood up and walked towards my daughter. 

 

“You will eat the cookies I baked for you, right?” Miyoung asked, gazing at me as I fixed her collar. “Yes. I tasted it earlier and it’s delicious. Will you make some for me again, sweetie?”

“Of course.” She nodded.  “You know Bom unnie helped me baked those cookies last night.”

“She did?” I asked even though I already knew it.

“Yup. And she promised me that we will make cupcakes next time.” She said, as she did a little dance.

“Sounds like a good plan.” I chuckled, eyeing her. “See you later, okay? Enjoy school and be a good girl.”

“Okay, dad.” She said, as she puckered her lips out aiming for a kiss.

After checking her things and her uniform, I released her from my hold and watched her as she ran towards the car in the driveway. When she opened the door and waved, I waved back. “Bye, daddy. I love you so much!” She exclaimed, as she brought her arms up onto her head, making a heart sign. The toothy grin on her lips made me cackled.

“I love you too.” I mouthed, shaking my head at her silliness.  

 

It was already 11 in the morning when I decided to go back to my bedroom and check Bom who was still surprisingly in her dreamland. “Is she planning to sleep all day?” I muttered, as I stood over the bed and watched her. She was still in the same exact position in which I had left her 5 hours ago. She was lying on her back with one arm over her forehead and the other resting on her stomach. Sitting at the edge of the bed, I took a moment and study the features of her lovely face. Her almond-shaped eyes that concealed her pair of dark brown orbs, her high pointed nose, smooth, rosy cheeks and her plump pink lips that looked so enticing I had to stop myself from leaning forward to kiss her. The subtle rise and fall of her chest as she breathed made me want to bury my face on it to feel her warmth and listen to her heartbeat.

“Bom.” I called after a short while.

“Park Bom.”  

I noticed her fingers twitched when I tapped her hand but she didn’t budge from her sleeping position. “Bom, wake up. You need to eat.” I repeated. A slight groan came out from her as she tossed and turn on the bed before she slowly opened her eyes only to closed them again.

“Sleepyhead, wake up.” I muttered as I her cheek. She didn’t say anything except to open her heavy eyelids a little and peeked at me.

“Rise and shine, Park Bom.”

“Why are you so noisy?” She mumbled.  “I want to sleep more. Let me sleep.” She continued, frowning as she threw a pillow over her face.

“You’ve been sleeping for too long now.” I chuckled, removing the cushion that hid her face. She scowled at me as I leaned down and lightly kissed her lips unable to resist the temptation anymore. For a second it seemed like she intended to push me away as she placed a hand on my chest but it ended up resting at the back of my neck instead. I buried my face at the curve of her neck, leaving path and marks of kisses on it. When I eased back a little, I stared at her and she had her eyes close again. “Bom, you need to wake up.” I muttered as I pressed my lips on her forehead. I felt her fingers playing with my hair as I moved down and kissed both sides of her cheeks.

“You need to shave. I don’t like that stubbles.” She mumbled, making me chuckle.

“Later.” I said, slightly pecking the tip of her nose.  I could feel curling up in a smile when I brushed my lips against it. When I kissed her deeply and tenderly, I instantly felt the yearning for wanting more. More than just our lips crashing, our tongues locking and our hands intertwining and pressing against her pillow.

Lifting my head away I eyed her intently as she slowly opened her eyes and gazed back at me and my lips. If she asked for more, I wouldn’t hesitate to kiss her again but she didn’t.

“What time is it?” she asked, her voice raspy.

“11 o’clock. You sound different. how are you feeling?” I asked, sitting up. She winced and rubbed her temples. “Awful. I feel like someone’s hammering my head repeatedly.”

“That’s what you get for emptying a bottle of wine last night. I’ve warned you not to drink the entire thing. Come on, you need to get up now so you can eat and drink a medicine for that hangover.”

Stretching her arms up, she removed her blanket and lazily sat upright. The way she looked groggy and the way she spaced out for a while with her messy hair pointing at different directions made me chuckle and shook my head. When her eyes flickered at me, she scooted closer and cupped my cheeks. I thought she was going for a kiss again when she tilted my head to the side but I was mistaken for she just checked the bandage around my head.  

"You’re not experiencing any head pain?" She asked.

"No, I’m not." I said, enjoying our close proximity. She became aware of my eyes on her once she focused her attention on me.

“Why are you staring at me like that again?” She looked suspiciously at me.

“Staring like what?” I asked, gazing at . I chuckled when I noticed her cheeks blushed crimson. It was quite amusing how I had that kind of effect on her and I didn’t want it to be gone.  

“I woke up late and I wasn’t able to take care of Miyoung earlier. Just deduct that from my salary.” She said, as she stood up, grabbed her hoodie on the chair and put it on. 

“It’s okay, don’t mind that.” I responded, watching her as she pulled out her phone from her pocket and began fiddling with it. My jaw clenched as I eyed her intently. She wasn't showing any signs of worry, anxiousness or anything at all in her face and body language. She was in her typical demeanor that no wonder I didn't notice anything happening to her until I opened her phone. If I didn’t accidentally saw it last night, maybe I would still be clueless by now.

By the time, I managed to get her out of the bed, I heated up her food while she took a bath in the guest room. As I stirred the soup in the cooking pot, I strangely found myself wondering what it would be like to have her lived here in my home. I had never thought of it until I noticed the changes between her interaction with Miyoung and until last night when I saw how she reacted to the photos of my wife. As my girlfriend, she could have asked me to remove or hide the pictures away but she didn’t. It was a huge relief to me for honestly, I wouldn’t know what to do if she asked me to do that thing. I couldn’t do that. But her clear understanding of me made me even admire her a lot. It was weird how that simple thing had made me imagine a kind of life I would have with her. Like seeing her comfortably cooking in the kitchen wearing the same thing she wore last night or maybe my shirt, feeling the warmth of her skin against me when we lay on the bed, her morning face, Bom playing and baking with my daughter. . . Creating a new life together. I wondered if that kind of future would be possible for us. But then again, it was quite early for that she still had alot of things i bet she wanted to do.  

“You’re spacing out.”

I was brought out from my reverie when bom suddenly appeared. She was standing beside me staring at me with her big innocent eyes. The smell of lavender scent coming from her long damped hair made me want to bury my nose with it. 

“lovely scent.” I said, staring at her from head to toe. I thought she looked cute with her red sweatpants and oversized shirt. “Can’t you just wear the same short short you wore earlier?” I asked.

“So you can stare at my legs again?” She bluntly asked.  

I nodded, grinning. “I also love that sleeveless fitted top.” I added, stirring the soup again.

“Why? So you can stare at my s?”

Chuckling, I shamelessly nodded again. “What’s up with you and your obsession with those things? It seems like your eyes naturally acts like a beacon sometimes.” she asked, narrowing her eyes at me.

“Those.” I paused, staring at her from head to toe. “Aren’t just things. It’s art. And I am an art enthusiast.” I added, looking at the smile playing on her lips.

“Or a ert.” She teased.

“Or your boyfriend who just appreciates you.” I corrected.  

Scoffing, “A naughty boyfriend.”

“But admit it, I am nice. Unbelievably nice to tolerate your temper.” I beamed.

Frowning, she didn’t say anything to that and just continued watching my hand as I stirred the soup. “You cooked that?” She asked.

I snorted. “No, Miyoung.”  

She elbowed my sides at my sarcasm. “Let me do that.”  She said, trying to snatch the ladle from my grip.

“No, I’m done anyway. Just go to the dining room.”

When I casted a quick glanced at her, she was in the midst of fishing out the jar of cookies from the wall cabinet. “Did you already eat this?” She asked, opening the lid.

“Mm. Miyoung told me earlier you guys are planning to make cupcakes.”

“Yes, it’s her request.”

Turning off the stove, “I didn’t know you have an interest in baking.”

“It’s not an interest I just happened to learn it a long time ago.”  She explained, as she passed me a bowl and poured the soup on it. “let me carry that to the table.” She said, shoving the cookie into .

 Does she ever realized how she look cute sometimes?

I tagged along behind her as we walked out of the kitchen to the dining area. “how long was that long time ago?” I asked, curiously. “last year? I can’t remember very well. I used to be bad at baking and a terrible at cooking too.”

“Really? But you cook so well.”

She stopped and turned to smile a little at me before she walked again. “I learned how to cook because of my previous jobs.”

“The restaurants?”

She nodded, “In my first job, I was in the kitchen assisting the cook so most of the time I get the chance to watch him. That’s where I learned and If I have enough money, I’ll buy the ingredients and then try cook it myself at home.” She explained, placing the bowl on the table.

Pulling a chair for her, “And you successfully cooked it?” I asked, sitting across her.

She looked like she suddenly remembered something as she chuckled softly. “I failed a lot of times, you know. Sometimes, it gets too salty, bitter or bland but I had no choice but to eat all of it.”

“But practice makes perfect. You’re a good cook now.” I said, gesturing at her to eat.

“Right.” She nodded. There was something about the way she stared momentarily at me that made me wonder what she was thinking.    

“Do you feel much better now, Park Bom?” I asked, looking at her as she slurped the Pollock soup I made for her.  "This is delicious.” She said, smiling a little.

“Thank you. I heard it’s good for hangover.” I said, sipping my cup of coffee. I was planning to let her eat silently when I noticed her staring at me again. “What is it, bom?” I asked.

Slowly chewing her food, “I didn’t notice it earlier but you look tired weren’t you able to sleep last night?” she asked.

“You teased me and then fell asleep right after. Tell me, how would I be able to fall asleep?”

I smirked when she avoided my gaze and looked down on her food instead. Narrowing my eyes, “Speaking of last night, you do remember what you did last night, right?”

Reluctantly, she lifted her gaze at me. “No, I don’t.” She mumbled, as she looked down and ate a spoonful of radish.

“Oh.” I responded. “Then shall I remind you of your mini striptease show last ni—”

She scowled. “Jiyong, that wasn’t a striptease.”

“So you do remember, Park Bom.” I responded, enjoying the sight of her flushed cheeks.  “They say, a drunk mind speaks a sober heart. Last night you did and said things that I bet you wouldn’t have dared to say or do in front of me if you were in a sober state.” I added.

Embarrassed, she didn’t respond to that and just focused herself on eating. “do you drink with someone else other than me?” I knew the answer to this question but I had to test her if she would tell me the truth.

“Yes, with Yongbae.” She responded immediately.

Even though I was relieved she admitted it to me, I couldn’t help but still be annoyed. Grabbing the fork, I stabbed the plate of uneaten soft pancake with it. “how many times, Park Bom?”

“Two or three times. I can’t remember.” She said, watching me intently. I wasn’t sure but I think I saw a smile tugging the corners of her lips.

“Don’t drink with him again.”

“Why?”

Because I know that he kissed you and even though you told him he is just a friend, I still hate the fact that you confide in him more than me.

“What do you mean, why?” I asked in annoyance. “I don’t like you drinking with someone else other than me especially after witnessing how you acted last night. Do you have any idea how dangerous that is? What if I’m not your boyfriend? What if I’m someone else? I could take advantage of you. Don’t drink with him again and don’t even argue with me on this." I lectured.

She kept silent as she leisurely slurped the soup and nibbled some bread. “Is that what you want me to do?” she asked after a long silence. 

“This is not something I want you to do just because I want it. It’s for your own security and for my own peace of mind as well.” I explained.

“Okay, if it makes you feel better I will only drink in your presence.”

I nodded in approval, quite surprised at how she easily agreed. “We are not together all the time so I am trusting you on this, okay?”

“You sound like an old man, Jiyong.”

“I am serious, Bom.” I interrupted.

Pursing her lips, she looked at me searchingly. “You’re acting weird. Is there something wrong?” She asked.

“You worry me.” I responded.

 “There’s nothing to worry about.” She assured, as she held my eye contact with her. Her face and those pair of orbs staring innocently at me made me even more concerned.

How should I tell you that I know, Bom. I know.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thank you for reading! :) updated this by accident again lol but decided to post it anyway. ^__^