Chapter 11

Cold as ice

JIYONG

"Can i have a kiss?"

I was slouching in the couch spending my leisure time with Mi young resting in my arms. Her sweet giggles as i tickled her tummy echoed in the living room. "Daddy needs a kiss Mi young-ah." I said, projecting my lips outward.  With her tiny hands, she cupped my face and pouted as she leaned in for a kiss. "One more" I muttered, cuddling her. I chuckled when she shook her head rejecting me. 

"Please?"

Mi young looked at me first before she stood up and threw herself at me showering me with her kisses. I wrapped my arms around her and held her small frame against my chest wishing that she would remain a baby forever. She was like a cute little bird pecking every inch of my face. She even tried to bit my nose and i had to push her head a little. "You naughty kid." i chuckled, pinching her nose. By the time we were done exchanging strong fondness with each other, my face was wet with her saliva.

"Dad, are we going to fish later?" she asked, settling down in my lap. She was looking up at me like a cute little puppy.

"Yes we are, sweetie."

A wide grin covered her face as she started to bounce up and down excitedly in my lap.

"Yay! I'm going to catch a whale!"

Gasping, i put my hands under her armpit and lifted her out making her squeal in delight.

"A whale?!" I exclaimed.

"That's a really big fish sweetie. Do you think this little body will be able to handle it?" I tickled her tummy and she wriggled in my arms laughing uncontrollably. Her laugh was contagious that I cracked up along with her and when she was already running out of breath, I stopped and let her breathe for a moment.

"I'm just going to catch baby whales as small as this, dad." She responded, making a small measurement with her hands. I thought it was adorable.

"Are you going to give it to me?" I asked, her head.

Mi young nodded. "Yes, I'll cook it for you too and... and... feed you so you will not get tired again dad."

"So i won't get tired?"

"I know dad works all the time. That's why you're tired right? If you eat that you won't be exhausted anymore." She said, touching my face.

Moved by her words, i hugged her tight and kissed her cute lips. "If you can't find any whale for dad you can just get any kind of fish miyoung." I said, suddenly worried that she might get upset if she didn't catch a whale which was likely to happen.

"Dad what's with your hand?"

I looked at my left hand when Mi young pointed at it. Clenching and unclenching my fist, i observed the wounds that i got after climbing off the window and tree earlier just to get out of Park bom's bedroom. If Miyoung and my mom didn't knock on her door by the time i was about to get out, Bom wouldn't probably force me to use that ridiculous method. I remember after falling from the tree, i accidentally smashed my hand against the big rock lying beneath it. It didn’t hurt much but now that i had look at it again, i could see my hand swelling. Bom saw what happened to me but she didn't seem concerned about whether i injured myself or not. She was just basically shooing me away wanting to get rid of me.

"Use the front door." She whispered, loud enough for me to hear. She was looking out the window staring at me. I wanted to say something to her but she interrupted me.

"You wanted to contemplate about your life that you just needed to go out for a walk."

"Wha-what?" i asked, suddenly confused.

"That's your excuse. Now, go. Before someone sees you."

Of course i followed her. When i stepped into the front door and pressed the doorbell, my dad opened the door for me. He asked me where did i go and i explained that i just went out for a walk. I didn't say anything about the contemplation because there was no need for me to contemplate about my life, for now.

"Does it hurt?"

Mi young's voice took me out of my reverie. I glanced at her and she was still eyeing my knuckles observing it.

"Not anymore, honey." I smiled.

"You should take care of yourself dad." A pout began to form in her lips. "I don't like it when you get hurt." she continued. Her words took me by surprised but it warmed my heart.

"Why? Are you worried?"

She nodded, giving me a hug. God, I wonder if she would still be as sweet as this when she grew up.

"Are you enjoying your short vacation here?"

 "Yes, dad." she smiled.

"Were you happy when you played with your cousins yesterday?"

"I was really really happy!"

I wished her cousins extended their stay here because right now, there were only 6 of us left in this huge house. My parents, Seungri, Mi young, Bom and I. All of us were adults and i was kind of worried Mi young would be a little upset now that she wasn’t with her playmates. It was a good thing we planned to spend the rest of the afternoon fishing.

"I'm happy that you're here too, dad."

She suddenly said, making me surprised. I caressed her cheek with my hand and planted a kiss on her forehead.

 "You're happy? why?" I eyed her affectionately.

"Because I don’t feel lonely and I can play with you all day and you don't have to work." she said, giggling.

I felt a lump forming in my throat but i managed to swallow it. Lonely? At such a young age she felt lonely and I felt guilty for it was my fault. Was I neglecting her?

"Mi young, don't think that i love work more than you, okay? Everything that i do, i do it for you because i love you so much." I said, holding her tiny hands.

"Can i tell you something?" she asked, looking up at me.

"Of course, honey."

"Promise me, you won't get mad."

Taking in deep breaths, i stared at her suspiciously before i nodded. I wonder if she had done mean things again without my knowledge.

"Yesterday, i pushed Bom into the pool. I'm sorry dad, i lied."

The guilt in her face was visible that i had to pause for a while and thought of what to say. She was looking down at my hand while chewing her lower lip. Even now it still amused me that she and my wife had the same mannerism. "Look up at me." I said my voice stern. She obliged and stared at me with her clear innocent eyes.

"You've done well, Mi young. I'm glad you admitted your mistake. But what you did to Bom was wrong and the fact that you lied to me was wrong too. You know i hate lying right? It's not right to lie." I paused, eyeing her. "Since i made a promise not to get mad, i want you to make a promise for me too. Promise me that you won't do extreme things like that again."

"I promise i won't. I'm sorry, dad." she muttered. "Am i forgiven?" she asked.

Petting her hair, i planted a kiss in her forehead. "You're forgiven. I Love you, okay?"

She gave me a slight nod and kissed me. “Love you too, dad.”


“Welcome aboard, ladies and gentlemen.”

As soon as we arrived at the end of the pier, the captain of the yacht greeted us with his other 5 crew members. They were standing in line, welcoming us with their friendly smiles. Behind them anchored the magnificent vessel that had Park Bom and Seungri gawking in awe.

“It’s a pleasure to serve you and your family Mr. Kwon.” The captain said, shaking hands with me. He was old but he looked honorable with his sleek white uniform. After thanking the captain and greeting the other staffs, we were escorted to the saloon and were served cocktails except for Mi young who was given strawberry lemonade. The yacht was exceptionally beautiful. It had 2 saloons, one in the upper and lower deck. There were also 2 spacious cabins, galley, sauna, spa, swimming pool, game room and private theatre. The yacht also had a bunch of water toys and equipment we could use if we wanted to do some water adventure.

By the time we finished our cocktails, everyone had dispersed. My parents went to the spa and had their massage; Seungri began flirting with the voluptuous female attendant while Bom and Mi young were at the deck looking out into the vast blue sea as the yacht began to move. Bringing my camera with me, i positioned myself in one spot and took a picture of Mi young smiling widely as she pointed out at something to the sea. The wind was blowing her pink summer dress nicely that the photo came out really good. After taking candid pictures of my daughter, i moved the lens and focused on Bom. I was aiming a close-up shot of her and was about to take a side profile picture when she suddenly turned at my direction and noticed me. When she frowned and made a face, i immediately snapped a photo of it and laughed at the outcome.

"Perfect." I muttered, observing the photo. 

I walked towards them and stood beside Bom who seemed not pleased at me. "Delete that or I’ll throw that damn thing into the sea." Her voice was almost a whisper but i clearly heard what she said. Before speaking, i glanced down at Mi young first who was standing beside Bom. She looked immersed looking for a sign of dolphins that i took that opportunity to stand a little close to the lady beside me purposely brushing my arms against her. When she noticed it and tried to back away, I immediately held her arm and squeezed it affectionately then let go. As much as i wanted to be close to her, i couldn't do that because of my daughter. The last thing i wanted to do was to make her angry with me.

"Unnie! Are we already going to fish?"

My eyebrow shot upwards as i looked down at Mi young and then to Bom whose attention was on her.

 "In a little while Miyoung-ah. Why? Are you getting impatient of waiting?" she asked, petting her head.

"Yeah, do you think we'll be able to catch a whale or a big fish?" Mi young asked, talking animatedly.

A soft chuckle escaped from Bom. "I'm not so sure about the whale but I’m sure about the big fish."

As soon as bom finished speaking, she turned to look at me and her smile was immediately gone. "You're still here?" The unfriendly tone in her voice made me amused.

"Tell me. When did she start acting like that? and she called you unnie."

"After the incident where she pushed me into the po—"

Slowly nodding my head, i watched her eyes slightly widened as she realized what she said. Smirking, i leaned a little closed and narrowed my eyes at her.

"And i thought you just slipped and accidentally fell into the pool, Park Bom."

She fidgeted uncomfortably aware of my scrutinizing gaze. "Uhm... well...I didn't mean to…you know… I just felt bad for her. She was scared that you would get angry at her and...."

"It doesn't matter anymore but i hope you won't do that again." I interrupted, taking a step back. "She had already told me the truth anyway." 

"She did?"

I nodded. "And besides, it seems she's starting to like you a little?" 

"Dad, let's play together!"

I was interrupted when Mi young suddenly got in between us obviously pushing Bom and me away from each other even though we were already slightly apart. I glanced at Bom as she mouthed the words, "Or maybe not." making me laughed.

"We don't need you here." Mi young placed her hands on her hips as she looked up at Bom failing to look intimidating because she looked cute. "I only need a nanny when dad is not around but since he's here, you can go now. And I changed my mind. You don't have to fish with me anymore." she continued. Mi young looked up at me as if she was waiting for me to back her up. 

Smiling, i glanced at Bom who had an expressionless face. I must have been staring at her for quite too long because she arched her brow at me. "Mr. Kwon?"

"Right, Ms. Park." I said, faking a cough. "It would be better if you would leave us for the time being. I would like to have an alone and fun time with this cute pumpkin.” I said as i looked down and caressed mi young’s cheek.

“And since you're already here, i expect you to enjoy your free time as well." I finished.

Bom just nodded but it wasn't hard to know that behind her poker face, she was happy for the temporary freedom i had given her.


BOM

There were times when i seemed to forget that i worked for Kwon Ji yong, a filthy rich man capable of doing anything with his abundant money. When i saw that he rented this magnificent luxury yacht just for today, i couldn't help but wonder how much money did he pulled out. I had ridden a yacht before when i used to live in Jeju but this was probably the most beautiful vessel i had ever seen in my life. The facilities and the interior designs were so beautiful that i spent my time going around and exploring the whole yacht secretly admiring everything. The services from the crew members were excellent too particularly the spa and the full body massage treatment that i never asked for. I wasn't surprised when i was told by one of the female crews that it was Ji yong who instructed her to pamper me. By the time i ran out of things to do on my own, i went back to the lower deck and sat on the sofa. The yacht had finally stopped in the middle of the sea and from my seat i could see Ji yong and his daughter chatting amiably while fishing. They were in front part of the yacht, sitting on a chair while holding a fishing rod. I thought the sight of them was very pleasing to look at.

Reaching for the cocktail on the mini table, i took a sip from it before i pulled out my pen and mini notebook from my sling bag. Turning the pages, i felt my head throbbed as i came to realize that the day i had to pay our debt was fast approaching. "3 more weeks" I wanted to punch and slap myself for being so careless and for letting it slipped out of my mind a few times because i was too focused on figuring out other things. Encircling the big amount written on my paper with my red pen, i cursed under my breath annoyed and regretful at the fact that i shouldn’t have demanded a three month ultimatum. It was because i was too angry at that time and prideful that i said such impossibility from my mouth. Yes, there was a great increase in my income the moment i started to work for Ji yong but it wasn't enough. The money was still not enough. What would happen if i wasn't be able to pay the money on time? I remember i told them they could do what they wanted. By the looks of those loan sharks, they would probably sell me or use me for their dirty illegal jobs or would probably try to harass me again and this time no one was going to help me, not even Yongbae who had already saved me before. Brushing my hands through my hair, i glanced at Ji yong and Mi young again. A smile formed in my lips when i noticed that they had already caught a big fish. Mi young was ecstatic. She was jumping up and down poking the sea creature while her dad was holding it tight in his bare hand. His face was a mixed of fright and disgust as he struggled to hold the slimy moving thing in his hand. If i failed to pay the debt, it would leave me no choice but to leave them. And even if i was able to pay it, i still had to leave because of Dara. The thought made the smile in my lips gone.

 

"Why are you spacing out?"

I had no idea how long I was in a dazed until I realized that ji yong was already in front of me snapping his fingers. It was a good thing he decided to sit onto the other sofa next to me. "Where's Mi young?" I asked, looking around.

"She's with her grandparents with the fish we caught. She’s too happy with that thing did you see her reaction, Bom? So cute. She’s pestering mom right now to cook it so she can give it to me later. She said it’s for my tiredness. And since I’m already talking about it, you know when she told me earlier about the fish I was kind of moved. She’s so mindful for her age I’m really proud of her." he said, taking a sip from my cocktail as if it was for him.

The way he spoke about her daughter never failed to amuse me. He talked like he was bragging about her and I found it charming. I had seen my own father boasted about Dara to his friends and colleagues a long time ago and i wonder if he had also ever talked about me that way to other people.

"What's with the notebook?"

Surprised, I immediately closed my notebook and placed it in my bag before Ji yong could even snatch it from me. "Diary?" he asked, arching a brow. I had no other option so i just nodded in return. The smirk in his face was enough for me to know that he didn't believe me. "You're a bad liar." he chuckled, crossing his legs.

“It’s really my diary.” I insisted.

“Really? Then I hope you wrote down in that journal of yours what happened to us last night.”

Heat rushed to my face as the good fatherly smile he had just a while ago was replaced by a flirtatious grin. Sitting back, I regained my composure.

“Don’t worry. I wrote how terrible you are at making out department.”

In reality, he wasn’t terrible at all. I was.

“Ouch. My ego is offended.” He said, feigning hurt. “I’m excellent at making love though. We should try that department some other time.”

Clutching the small pillow beside me, I threw it at him and he caught it while laughing.

“Excellent? As if you’ve already tried to make—“

Stopping abruptly, I mentally slapped myself for being so stupid. Of course he had already done it with his wife and Mi young was the product of their beautiful love. Looking down at my fingers, I hated that I created the silence between us. When I gave myself enough scolding, I glanced up to look at him and was startled to see him staring at me humorless. Is he mad?

"Can i ask you a question?"

"You're already asking one." he chuckled. I noticed his smile didn't reach his eyes. "What is it?"

I looked away for a second then glanced at him again hesitating whether to ask him or not. 

"Is it possible to get my salary in advance?"

I noticed the corners of his lips quirked up.

“That’s what you wanted to ask?”

I wanted to ask him about his wife but I had no idea why I couldn’t bring myself to ask him. A part of me was kind of afraid.

"Sure. I'll drop the money tomorrow in your account when we get home." he smiled.

I knew he was curious about why I didn’t ask him the question he was expecting and why i wanted to get my money in advance. And before he could even question me, i changed the topic and pointed at his injured knuckle. "How's your hand?" I asked, remembering how he had fallen from the tree and hit his hand on the rock.

"It's swelling a bit." he said, twisting it.

The way he carelessly twisted it made me uncomfortable so i rose from my seat and sat beside him. I made sure there was enough space between us. "Let me see." holding his hand, i looked at his wounds. "You should have covered this part with a bandage and what do you mean your hand's swelling a bit? It's swelling pretty badly. Does it hurt when i press this part?" I asked, squeezing his hand lightly. I was too focused on his hand that i realized he didn't answer my question. Glancing at him, i was taken aback when he suddenly leaned and kissed my lips lightly. I swallowed. And blink. I was still in a dazed trying to still my pounding heart until his annoying smirk made an appearance and i was brought back to reality.

"Cat got your tongue, park Ouch! AHh!"

Gripping his injured hand tightly, I watched him squirmed and cried an agony of pain in front of me. "Do that again and i'll make sure you'll never be able to use this hand." I warned, pressing his hand a little tighter before i let it go. Ji yong let out a few grunts before he glared at me. "What's wrong with what i did?" 

"What you did could have gotten us in trouble. What if your parents or Seungri saw us?"

Instead of rubbing his hand, Ji yong rubbed his forehead as though i had given him a headache. "Bom, I honestly couldn't care less if my parents will see us or Seungri. They're old enough to understand us."

"But Mi young is too young to understand. What if she suddenly walked in and saw us? She's not going to accept it and she would feel betrayed." I interrupted.

Ji yong parted his lips to say something but stopped. He looked at me for a while before he finally nodded understanding what i meant. "Okay, I’m sorry. You're right." he sighed. Through his forced smile, i could tell he was slightly disappointed at me.

"I know you have romantic feelings for me and I'm attractive that you can't resist me but there's a right timing for that."

Looking entertained at me, a smile formed in his lips. "You've gotten really confident of yourself." he chuckled.

"Didn't you tell me last night that eyes follow me wherever i go?"

Nodding, "Hmm, even the male crews here likes you. I could tell from the way they look admiringly at you. " 

Standing up, i dusted my pants and glanced at him. "Too bad i only have eyes for you. Wait here, I'll get some ice for your hand."


JIYONG

 

"You hurt me then you cure me."

I looked at Bom who was busy tapping a cold pack in my hand. The cool sensation made the pain in my hand subside little by little.

"It's your fault." she muttered.

I chuckled. "I know but you don't have to use violence to me Bom especially when I'm defenseless."

As she worked on silently with my hand, i stared at her beautiful face. When the wind suddenly blew her hair, i smelled her sweet vanilla scent along with it. "Just keep tapping for a few more minutes." she said, handing the cold pack in my other hand. She tucked a hair behind her ear then looked at me. "Try not to use your injured hand for the meantime to avoid straining it."

"You're quite good at this." i said, placing the cold pack in my hand.

"Well, I have been living with my uncle who gets in small accidents all the time." she muttered, shrugging.

Nodding, "That must be the reason why. Is your uncle your only relative?"

There was a long pause between us and as silence surrounded us, there was something about the way she looked at me that made it seemed like she wanted to tell me about something. 

"Hyung!"

Our conversation was interrupted when Seungri suddenly came in the deck looking surprisingly ecstatic. He rushed to me and as he sat beside me, i didn't fail to notice the suspicious look he gave to Bom. "What's your problem?" I asked, annoyed at him. From the corner of my eye Bom stood up with her phone in her hand. I think i heard it rang a few times. It must be a call.

"Hyung, why didn't you tell me that you and dara are already dating?"

Lately i noticed that Seungri had been trying to open topics about Dara to me and i allowed him to do that seeing there was no harm about it. But now that he did it again, i found it absurd that he was already joking about it to the point that he was declaring it as if it was true.

"Seungri, do you want to lose your job because of that mouth of yours?" I warned.

The grin in his face was still visible as he showed me his phone and motioned at me to take a look at it. Looking quizically at him, i took his phone and when i stared at the screen, my eyes almost popped out seeing the ridiculous news.

"Actress Sandara Park dating CEO Kwon Ji yong" Seungri read proudly.

Frowning, I scrolled the page and saw a few pictures of us together in my car. I remember it was the night when i searched for her because she suddenly went missing and her manager asked for my help. I remember i brought Dara to Han River after being attacked by the crowd who recognized her and i remember i checked her injured hand. At that time it didn't cross my mind that we were being followed by the paparazzi, it didn't cross my mind that the place looked dark and it didn't cross my mind or maybe i couldn't just remember that we were too close to each other that we almost looked like we were kissing and holding hands. Passing the phone to Seungri, "My daughter, does she know this?" I asked.

"Not yet." he said, suddenly serious.

"Good. How about Dara? How is she taking this?"

The mischievous grin on Seungri's face went back. "I knew you're worried for her but i don't know. She hasn't called you yet?"

Dara had already warned me about it before that a news about us might come out and i guess i was worried for she might blamed herself again. "If she or her manager called you, tell me immediately." I said, looking at Seungri who seemed too absorbed looking at the pictures.

"Don't they look good together, Bom?"

Just when i realized i hadn't told Seungri about the news not being true, he suddenly showed his phone to the person i thought was gone but was just standing behind me. Suddenly feeling guilty, i looked over my shoulder and watched Bom reached for Seungri's phone and nonchalantly scrolled the screen with her thumb. Her expression was scarily impassive it was hard for me to know if she was biting the news or not. Then when she was done, she gave the phone back to Seungri then eyed me momentarily.  

"Lovely couple. You suit each other."