Chapter 16-2

Cold as ice

DARA

My sister had always been good with arguments. It was a truth known in the family that even my dad couldn’t win with her sometimes. If there was something that didn’t please her, she would always straight to the point state it without hesitation regardless of the age difference, who she was talking to and who was currently around in the scene. She analyzed everything and was sharp and had always been quick to think. She was the kind of woman who would always say what dissatisfied her no matter how hurtful it would turn out to be. She could stand in front of you and suddenly say things that always seemed so spot-on making you unable to think of a retort even if you wanted to and even if you wanted to make her realized that she was wrong. Or perhaps, make her believe that she was wrong. I couldn’t win against her. I had never won against her. She was always good at making me feel belittled, ashamed and humiliated which perfectly described my emotions right now. I didn’t think it was right for her to just leave after saying those things to me though she had an excuse. It didn’t make me feel good and as I sit here across the table with the man who obviously lost his appetite the moment she left, I swallowed the lump forming in my throat and clutched my dress trying to bear the uncomfortable silence she left behind.

“I see you brought food for me.”

His voice took me out of my indignation that I glanced up from my hands to him. “Ye-yes.” I said, my voice came out weak. I felt embarrassed for he witnessed what my sister said to me that I just wished for the floor to just swallow me up. 

As if he read my mind, he smiled warmly and said, “Place it here on the table and eat with me, Dara.”

I did what I was told and reached for the paper bag resting near my foot. As I placed the rectangular food containers one by one on the table, I eyed Jiyong who suddenly had a distant look in his eyes. His brows scrunched together and I could only guess what was the reason behind that facial expression.

“I’m sorry.” I blurted.   

Blinking, “What for?” he questioned.

I watched him as he opened the Tupperware and ate a piece of meat. “Did you cook this? This is delicious.” He asked, chewing.

 I felt my face heated up in embarrassment. I wasn’t a good cook so I woke up early and put extra effort in making his meal.

“You’re only saying that because you feel bad for me.” I mumbled.

He looked at me for a second before he laughed. “Then don’t show that pout to me, Dara.” He said, gesturing at me to eat. His laugh sounded nice and comforting that I smiled back at him. "Aren't you mad at me?"

"Why would I?" he asked, tilting his head to the side. "You're worrying too much. Don't mind what Bom said." He said, nodding. "She really tends to speak harshly and sometimes doesn’t filter her words but she's a very nice person. I know she doesn't look like it to you but trust me, she's just worried." He said, eating another piece of meat. 

I felt like the food I just ate was suddenly stuck in my throat upon hearing him. The look on his face when he talked about her and the fact that he seemed to know her better than me amused me. As the realization came to me, I felt something pricked my chest.

“You like her.”

It wasn’t a question but a statement that was promptly and undoubtedly answered by a firm nod from him. 

“Mm. She’s my girlfriend.”

My hands gripped together in my lap as I tried to remain composed and not to appear too affected by the news that I had known for days now. Yongbae told my dad and I about my sister and Jiyong's relationship which was also the reason why I was here. I wanted to confirm and see it for myself and right now, I had no idea what to feel. Was it possible to feel jealous, relieved and troubled at the same time? Jealous because we ended up liking the same guy I thought I could have a chance with. Relieved because my sister found someone like him and that somewhere inside of me was wishing this would be the start to dissolve her heart that hardened because of me and dad. Troubled because with all the things she had been through, would she be able to love him truly? She wasn’t the same person she used to be and I doubt she told him who she was.

“Why aren’t you eating?”

Taking me out of my reverie, I stared at him again.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I just remembered something.” I said, smiling at him. “So, she’s your girlfriend. . .” I trailed.

 “Uh… not being rude but status wise, I think you are too good for her.” I wouldn’t be surprised if he would hate me right now. But I had to know something.

Jiyong eyed me passively at first which quite scared me. “Well, that’s true.” He nodded. “But our difference in that kind of category doesn’t matter to me. She might be my employee and we might not be on the same level but I still see her as an independent and hard working woman and those are just a couple of reasons why I like her.”

“She can’t give you anything. She's poor.” I added.

I noticed his eyes gleamed. “What do you mean by anything? Are you referring to the tangible things? If that’s what you mean, she doesn’t even need to. The fact that she agreed to be with me is enough. I value my relationship with her more than anything, Dara.”

My mouth slightly parted in surprised upon seeing him say that with no hint of hesitation. I didn’t ask a lot of questions yet but I could already understand why he managed to make my sister to be in a relationship with him. 

“What is she like?” I asked, sipping from a glass of water.

This time, I noticed a subtle smile tugging the corners of his lips. “You’ve seen how she acted earlier, right? That’s what she’s like most of the time.” He chuckled, shaking his head as if he was enjoying some private joke.

I smiled but I knew my smile didn’t reach my eyes. “Can I ask you something?” I asked.

He slowly nodded. I knew I was just making a fool of myself but I still needed to ask. “I might be just assuming things but Jiyong we . . . “I trailed, “We had gone out before and in those times, I'm just wondering if . . . I mean. . . were you ever . . .” I paused, hesitating.

“What is it, Dara?”

One thing that I liked about him every time I get the chance to talk to him was that he would always look at me straight in the eye. He always looked so genuine and interested to listen.

“were you ever attracted to me? Was there a time you find me attractive?”

Just by how he suddenly choked on his food made me knew he didn’t expect the question. I stared at him nervously as he drank his glass of water. When he opened his mouth, he closed it again unable to say something in response. He was in deep thought but he was studying me with his eyes that made me want to melt.

“I remember the first time we met, Dara. That was when you accidentally dropped that necklace and I had to retrieve it for you.” He said, looking at my necklace my sister gave to me when we were young. “I remember the first meal we had together at the Japanese restaurant. We talked there quite a lot, right? I told you a little about my life and you as well. The first time you visited my suite because you wanted to meet Miyoung, I remember that night very well too and I guess, the reason for that was because you told me about your mother. You even told me about your sister and I remember being surprised about it.”

You will be even more surprise once you find out she is your current girlfriend.  

“Those were short but meaningful memories for I got to know who you are. So, to answer your question. . .” He paused, eyeing me. 

“Yes. At some point, I was attracted to you.”

I felt a warm feeling suddenly creeped inside of me upon hearing his words.

I knew it. If only I was a little early. . . If only my sister didn't meet him.

“But you have Je— “I stopped and had a mini heart attack when I almost said my sister’s name.

Clearing my throat, “But you have Bom now, right?” I said, frowning. I sounded like a sulking kid that made him suddenly let out a chuckle.

“Yes.” He nodded.  

There's no indication of doubt when it comes to his feelings for her. 

Sighing, I stared at him trying to mask the pain of his rejection. "Aren't you too loyal, Jiyong?"  

Too loyal for a woman you barely even know. 

"Isn't that what a man who is in a relationship supposed to do?" He questioned, cocking his head to the side.  

And he is too nice and well-mannered as well.

"No wonder, you don't take the bait when I tried to flirt with you before." I responded. His eyes quite enlarged but didn't say anything in response.

"I like you, you know." I admitted, looking at him straight in the eye.

What am I doing? It’s too late now.

 Despite of everything that I said he was surprisingly calm and his stare remained fixed at me. "Thank you, Dara. That's really flattering." I felt myself blushed at what he said. 

What the hell did I expect him to say?

I like you too?

Clearing my throat, I straightened my back and held my chin up with dignity and pride. “You really should be flattered.” I said, giving him a slight nod. My forced composure didn’t last long when a smile slowly crept on his lips as he thoughtfully rubbed his chin and watched me with amusement.

Chin up. Chest out.

 Narrowing my eyes, “Do you know that not everyone gets the chance to be liked by someone as pretty, talented and famous as me, Jiyong?”

“I know. And it is an honor.” He nodded, smiling.

“One day. . .” I paused, swallowing the lump in my throat. “One day you will regret not saying you like me back. Mark my word, I will make you regret it to the point that you will kneel down and beg for my attention and . . .” I trailed, frowning.

“That sounds fearsome.” He muttered, interrupting.

“Is it?” I asked, interestedly. “That’s actually a part of my script and I think I messed up a few lines but I thought it matches my situation right now.” I chuckled but it sounded too strained that I suddenly got silent. Jiyong had gone silent and the humor on his face was gone as well.

“Dara . . . I—”

“Don’t.” I said, cutting him. “I know.” I added, staring at his face that suddenly looked so concerned at me.

I wonder if he’s pitying me.

“I will be fine, Jiyong. I don’t like you that much anyway.” I paused. 

“And besides, I have come to realize that you are too kind and honest which I find boring. I kind of prefer a guy with a bit of a bad boy side and an air of mystery, you know.” I continued, winking at him.

 

After that, he didn’t offer any words of comfort for my heart that broke into pieces. And somehow, despite of my sudden confession, I felt light hearted and even surprised myself for not immediately walking out. I stayed for I think another hour and talked to him one of the reasons why I visited him. Now that I was certain he was dating my sister, there was something I wanted to know.

“Jiyong, did my dad offer you a favor?” I asked.

We were now having a cup of tea trying to wash down all the food that we indulged. I tasted my sister’s food earlier and I was surprised at the deliciousness. I had no idea she could cook very well. She had learned so much while she was away. 

Jiyong looked hesitant at first before he nodded at me. “Since you already asked me about it, I am assuming you already know your father’s request.” He said, taking a sip of his hot tea.

I nodded.

“What do you think, Dara? How do you feel about it?”

Shrugging, “I honestly think it will be helpful.”

 Helpful for everyone. 

He scrutinized me carefully before he sighed. “I can accept your father’s offer but you have to consider it carefully. Mr. Park wants you to follow his lead do you know what that means? You might give up your career.”

It was a good thing I was an actress for I always knew how to keep my emotions guarded at times where I find myself completely taken aback. 

So dad didn’t tell him about Jenny.

I could end everything right now. I could continue to hide the truth from him but he liked her. My sister who planned to keep identity unknown even to him.

“It’s just a training anyway.” I muttered. “I’ve always been interested of my dad’s work and I’ve always been up for new challenges. I think taking that offer won’t be a bad idea for me. And besides, if by chance i didn't enjoy it i can just convince my dad.” I said. 

“Are you sure about that?” he questioned.

I am doing you favor right now, Jiyong. You should thank me later. 

“Yes.” I nodded, firmly.

A doubt crossed his face for a second that he took a moment to contemplate about my decision. Shortly after, his hesitation was replaced by an affirmative nod.

“Okay. If that's what you want. I’ll discuss to your dad about it.”  

 

JIYONG

What’s taking her so long to come back?

As I paced around the hospital room, I held my phone against my ear as I waited for Bom to pick up my calls. I was growing impatient and upset at the fact that she left without even letting me know where she went. It had been 2 hours since she answered that phone call from that guy called Yongbae and since then, she hadn’t returned yet. At first I thought she was just in the hallway but when I opened the door and checked her, she wasn’t around. I even asked Seungri to look for her around the hospital when he came for a visit but he couldn’t find her as well.

Calm down, hyung. It’s still early and she just probably went outside. I remember Seungri said. 

Well, that was my point. She surely went out and I didn’t want to think that her reason for going out would be because of Yongbae.

Ending the call, I stopped pacing as I stared at my phone screen and decided to send her another message.

Is it hard for you to pick up my calls and answer my texts, Park Bom? Where are you? Are you with Yongbae? If yes, you didn’t tell me you’re going out. Get back here. I want us to continue our conversations we’ve failed to finish earlier.

As soon as I sent the message, I heard the door opened and a frown immediately formed in my brows once I saw her.

“Park Bom!” I exclaimed, startling her as she closed the door. She mirrored the same scowl in my face before she walked towards the table and poured a glass of water. Just then, I heard a chime coming from her phone. I knew that was the text I just sent to her. I watched her as she pulled out her phone from her pocket, read it and when she was done, she just looked at me but didn’t say anything. 

“You answer Yongbae’s call in a heartbeat but never even bother to answer mine.” I said, bitterly. 

“It was an important call.”  she responded. 

I turned and followed her when she walked past me and stood over the bedside table holding the glass of water. 

“And mine is not an important call? Is that what you’re trying to say?” I questioned, staring at her back. 

“Here, Jiyong.” she said as she suddenly offered me the glass of water and placed a tablet in my right palm which reminded me that I forgot to drink my medicine.

Oh, so this is actually for me. She's thoughtful. 

Despite that I was upset at her right now, I felt myself soften towards her. She eyed me as I took it and drank the water. When I finished, she took the glass and turned her back once again as she busied herself with her task.

“Where is Dara?” I heard her asked. 

“She already left just a while ago with Seungri.” I responded, remembering what Dara and I talked about earlier. I was really surprised at her and had no idea she felt that way to me. Fortunately, things didn't end up awkward between us.

Shaking the thoughts away, I focused on Bom again and asked, “Did you meet up with your neighbor?” 

“Yes.” she responded, as she turned to look at me.

Among the injuries that I received, I think it was the injury in my head that bothered her the most for she kept staring at my bandages whenever we talked. 

“Why? Is it because of your uncle again?” At my question, her eyes flickered at mine. 

“Mm.”

“Is he feeling unwell again?” I asked, looking searchingly at her

“Yes.”

“And Yongbae’s taking care of him again?”

“Mm.”

“And that’s the reason why he called you?”

“Yes.”

“And that’s why you have to leave without telling me?”

“Mm.”

Frowning, “Mm. Yes.” I mimicked.  “Am I talking to a robot? What happened to the person who kept on lecturing me earlier? The person who doesn't filter her words ending up cursing here and there?” I asked, my brows furrowing quizzically.

I noticed a small smile at the corners of her lips but it disappeared immediately.

"What do you want me to say? You've perfectly summed up my explanations through your questions." She said, as she leaned at the edge of the bedside table and crossed her arms against her chest. I studied her passive face for a moment before I let out another sighed.

"Your uncle gets sick all the time. I can ask my doctor to check him up and—”

"No need. It’s just a fatigue this time." She said, dismissively waving a hand. 

"But he’s always feeling unwell. We should have him checkup.” 

"He's fine. He just overworked himself." I noticed the way she avoided my gaze but didn't mention it to her. 

"I insist. Let me take care of his needs." I said. 

She shot me a hard look. “Will you stop doing that? You can’t even take care of yourself nor even drink your medicine on time.” She retorted.

“Stop doing what? He’s your uncle. I’m just worried.”

“What are you? A living saint doing free and selfless charity acts here and there? I can handle this matter Jiyong." 

"I didn't say you can't. I'm just--"

"Then stop." She said, sharply.  "I don't need you. For once, stop meddling in other people’s business that doesn’t involve you.”

Those words and the way she bitingly said it made me speechless and made my patience reached at a dangerous level. “What?” I scoffed, looking incredulously at her. “What did you say?” I questioned, taking a step towards her. She didn't budge in her position but remained staring at me with those sharp of eyes of her that didn’t seem to have a regret of saying that to me.  

 “Speak, Park bom.” I demanded.

“You heard me crystal clear." she muttered. "I don’t have time for arguments.” When she looked away and tried to walked past me, I grabbed her arm and stopped her.

“Neither do I.” I muttered through my gritted teeth.

Letting her arm go, “What is Yongbae to you?” I questioned, watching her as she walked away. 

She abruptly stopped and looked at me with surprised written all over her face. “Are you seriously asking me that question, Jiyong?”

“Yes and I am trying to make a point here so answer me." I commanded. 

“Friend." she spat. "Neighbor. Are you happy now?”

“And what am I, Park Bom?” 

There was a sudden changed of emotion that melted the frustration in her face. Unable to respond, her lips pressed into a thin hard line. 

“You get the picture now?” I didn't wait for her to answer as I continued. “I am not meddling. I am concerned.” I said, emphasizing the last word just in case she didn’t get it. 

“And It’s just a natural thing for me to think of his well-being as well since he is related to you, who, may I remind you just in case you have forgotten, is my girlfriend. Whatever concerns you, concerns me. Why? Because I care. If you can’t understand that then it’s not my problem anymore. Call me stupid, idiot whatever you want. I don't care. But you've crossed the line there and I can't turn a blind eye on that." I paused, staring at her back that was already facing me. I didn't need to see what was her facial expression was like for her hands that balled into fists already gave way to it.

"I am adjusting to your conditions perfectly, Bom and I don’t have any complaints regarding that. But you also have to understand that I cannot just do nothing here when I am capable of doing things for you. I told you right? That you only have to allow me to show you how much I like you in every possible way? I’m trying to do this to you now. So whether you like it or not, you have to make adjustments as well and I want you to get used to this.” 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm sorry  this is just a short upate. But i will continue Jiyong's POV in the next chapter. :)

Thank you for reading! :)