Chapter 16-1

Cold as ice

BOM

As expected, they were all over the news again. It was only yesterday when the accident occurred and the media were already on fire about it. Thanks to the anonymous person who was in the same scene and took a video which captured every moment of Dara and Jiyong’s interaction in the parking lot including the terrible incident which made my stomach churn when I watched it. After posting it online, the video circulated quickly and gained a lot of attention.

 “Unnie.”

I immediately changed the channel as soon as I heard Miyoung’s voice. I didn’t think she need to see that news considering how worried she was for her father who was currently in the hospital.

“Miyoung, are you all set? You got everything you need?” I asked, getting up from the couch. She was standing on the stair case already in her white uniform.

"Mm. I'm going to give this to dad later after school." She said, as she showed me the frog stuff toy she was clutching in her chest. 

When Jiyong broke to me the news of spending the night here in his house with only his daughter, I admitted to him that I wasn’t confident that I would do a good job not to mention that she almost caught us kissing last night. The thought of it made me cringe inside. A part of me felt like she saw us for there were times when, even though her dad and I were just exchanging small work-related conversation, I would catch her staring at me and then to her dad and then back to me again. I told Jiyong about it and he told me I was just over analyzing everything.

“Even I couldn’t stop staring at you.” I remember him saying as he beamed at me.

 What a flirt.

In the end, he seemed right for Miyoung never did something beyond reasonable limits. In fact, we were surprisingly getting along quite well. Like last night, we watched Aladdin together and ended up chatting about it over milk and cookies before we finally called it a night. 

When I took her hand and guided her as she descended the stairs, "Are you going to spend the night here again tonight?" she asked. 

"Yes, probably." I said, looking at her as she chewed her lower lip. I wouldn't be surprised if she would tell me to get lost since we had been practically spending the day and night together.

"O-okay." she nodded, as shifted in her position and clasped her stuff toy. "Can we bake cookies tonight for dad?" she asked. 

“cookies?”

 If I remember correctly, the last time I tried to bake was the time I almost ended up burning my house. But how could I reject such an innocent and thoughtful request from a daughter like her.

"Sure, no problem." I said, smiling down at her.

 

After bringing Miyoung to school, I immediately went to the hospital with the packed breakfast I made earlier this morning.  As I walked in the hallway, I pulled out my phone and left another voicemail for uncle who still wasn't responding to my calls and messages. "Uncle, your phone's ringing every time I call it. Where are you? I know you're listening to this. Call me back as soon as you get this and . . ." stopping on my track, I pressed my phone against my ear as I hesitated and said, "I’m getting worried about you. If you don’t call or text me within this day, I will seriously go to the police and have you search."

As soon as I opened the door to Jiyong's ward, I found him sitting on the bed grimacing as the female nurse changed the bandage in his head. "Your wound open up again. Avoid moving around too much you’re not fully recovered yet." said the nurse. I was planning to silently come inside and do my task when the nurse noticed me and greeted me with a good morning. I nodded at her before I turned my attention to Jiyong who was smiling at me and obviously checking me out as his eyes moved from my head to toe. Before I could even feel myself freeze on my spot, I walked towards the table in the corner and placed the bag of breakfast on top of it. 

 "Do you feel any pain?" I heard the nurse said as I picked up the newspaper on the table. I had my back turned against them so I knew Jiyong wouldn't be able to see that I was skimming through the pages, reading the news about him and Dara. I wasn’t surprised to see that their dating rumor sparked an interest again.  

"I just get headache sometimes." Jiyong responded.

"And how's the pain? Is it unbearable?" 

"No, not really. It's tolerable." 

"Okay, let me tell that to your doctor so he can check you up later."

When the nurse left the room, I immediately set down the newspaper and looked over my shoulder. 

"Good morning, park bom." He said, staring at me. 

"Where do you want to eat? bed or table?" I asked, as I looked back at the plastic containers of food I was setting up on the table. The breakfast was consisted of omelet, fish, vegetable pancakes, fruits and other side dishes I just randomly pulled out from the refrigerator. I could tell that he wasn't fond of the bland hospital food so I decided to bring him some homemade food instead. 

I think I brought too much.

"Now, that's a nice meal." I was too focused with my task that I didn't even realize he was already standing behind me until he murmured against my ear.

"Pull a chair and take a seat." I said, tapping his arm wrapped around my waist.

 “I don’t like to eat alone, Join me.” He muttered as he kissed me on my cheek.

When I sat down across him, I placed a bowl of rice before him. He dug right into his food and ate in silence as he slightly bobbed his head in appreciation. I told him I already ate my breakfast with Miyoung so he didn’t instruct me to eat just like what he usually do. I was nibbling some grapes when I panned my attention to the chair beside the bed and saw the laptop and folders piled together. It didn't require much thinking to know that he had been working.

I know that he's passionate about his business but is it hard for him to take a break and focus more on healing himself?

“How was your first night with Miyoung?” His question made me turn to face him again.

“Good. We spent the night doing her homework, playing and watching movies before bed.” I paused, popping a piece of grape into my mouth.  “She’s missing you.” I continued.

“I know. This is the first time that we have to be apart so I’m quite worried for her. Did she cry? She was begging me last night to let her stay here.”

“No, she didn’t. But she keeps on asking me when are you going to come home.”

“I might already go home tomorrow. I’m just waiting for my diagnostic result and the doctor’s go signal.”  

When I noticed him struggling to get the meat from the fish, I naturally picked up the spoon and fork, debone it for him and placed the flesh on his bowl. "See how compatible we are Park Bom? We have great team work." he chuckled as he heartily shoved a spoonful of rice. I stifle a smile at that. 

“Have you seen the news?” He asked, after chewing and swallowing his food. I noticed him looking at newspaper on the table before he turned his gaze on me again. I nodded. 

"What do you think?" he questioned, looking expectantly at me. 

"People think you are a hero. They admire you." I said, eating another piece of grape.  

"Really? But I don’t care about what they think. I care more about you.” He paused, “So what do you think, Park bom?”

Nonchalantly, I eyed his injuries once again. His head, face, left arm in a sling, and his other bruises and wounds that kept hidden underneath his clothes. Despite of his condition right now, he seemed surprisingly well but the feeling of uneasiness was still inside me.   

“I'm waiting.” He said, taking me out of my contemplation. 

“Fool.” I said, staring at him.

“Stupid. Nitwit. Muttonhead. Imbecile. I could simply narrate all the synonyms for the word, idiot and dictate it all to you right now but I think these are enough for you." I added, as I noticed his lips twitched in a smile.

"Well, that's quite harsh, Park Bom." 

Frowning, I picked up the newspaper and unfolded it as I showed him the front page that included various images of him unconsciously lying on the ground and being carried in an ambulance. I hated that this had to be publicly published that I wanted to hunt down the person who made this article including the person who spread the video.

"I was grateful and relieved to see you last night but after watching the news and seeing that video of you being thrown by that car like a piece of trash all I could think was, Why? Why the did you do it? What the were you thinking?" I said, as I poke the fish with a fork, tear the meat from the bone and placed it on his bowl again.

“Thank you.” He muttered, referring to the fish before eating another spoonful.

he never left his gaze on me as he slowly chewed his food. “Let me ask you this, what were you thinking when you saved my daughter before?” 

The question caught me off guard. “That was different, Jiyong.” 

 “Same scenario.” 

I pressed my lips tight unable to answer back. I could still remember how Miyoung almost got hit by a car too. At that time, I just jumped in without thinking whether I would still be alive or not. I just felt like it was the right thing to do.

"Miyoung is a child while Dara is a grown up woman. Grown up. She should have seen it coming." 

“That's not a valid reason, Bom. I told you, that accident happened too fast. There was no time to comprehend what was happening.” He said, resuming to his meal.

"That wasn't even an accident. It was intentionally planned by her stalker." I retorted.

"Are you saying that I shouldn't have saved her?" 

"Are you saying you're going to keep rescuing her whenever something bad happens to her? This is the second time you did this for her and every time you do it, you always end up getting hurt. First, when she went out without her manager's permission and she got mobbed in the street and now this thing that almost killed you. I couldn’t care less about what happened before this terrible incident Jiyong and I know that you’re aware of that. But I can’t ignore the fact that you seem to have a great interest in playing a prince charming and a hero for her." I said, as I placed the newspaper on the table. Even I was surprised at the annoyance in my voice.

He looked at me in amusement as he leisurely drank from his glass of water as if he was savoring the flavorless taste of it.  "Are you jealous?" He asked, his brow quirking up. 

"Stop assuming that every time I say something like this you think I am jealous because no, I’m not." I said, frowning.

"Then why are you suddenly annoyed?" 

"I am annoyed because of the way you are acting normal right now as if it's no big deal to you. You keep on jumping into situations without thinking of the consequences or the people you might leave behind. You only have one life and one daughter who looks up to you. Do you realized how hard it was for me yesterday to break the news to her about you?"

"I told you there was no--"

"No time to think? Comprehend?" I interrupted as I reached for his chin and used my thumb to wipe the distracting red sauce at the corner of his lips.

"That’s bull." I said, sitting back. 

For a second he looked stunned but I ignored it as I continued. "You didn’t act on impulse like what I did to Miyoung. You had the time to think. You were not standing beside Dara and you were already in your car before that happened. But why did you get off again? Because you were ‘thinking.’” I paused, making air quotes for the last word.

“That something bad might happen. So you, being a gentleman, kind, nice and the most idiotic person suddenly acted recklessly and imprudently. You didn't use your brain. You could have phoned someone from the hotel’s security or yelled her name or do something else aside from throwing your own self in there."

“I did call her name to warn her but she didn’t hear me.” He interrupted.

Swallowing, “Still. You should have acted differently in that situation.” I insisted, urging him to continue with his meal.

“Did you stay up all night to analyze that video of me?” He asked, trying to lighten the mood.

“I couldn’t even bear to watch the whole thing last night when it was shown in the news.”

Our conversation was suddenly interrupted when we heard a knock coming through the door. "Come in." Jiyong said, staring at me. When I noticed his eyes flickered to the door and back to me again, I looked over my shoulder and slowly rose from my seat. There, standing across the door holding a paper bag was Dara. 

"Oh, hi. Good morning." she said, as she came in looking bubbly and vibrant. Of all time to visit why did she choose now.  

Another idiot. 

“Can I come in?”

“You’re already inside.” I found myself saying.

I heard Jiyong cleared his throat. “Of course, Dara. How are you feeling?” He asked, as he gestured at her to take a sit on my chair. He eyed me as I moved away and walked towards the drawer just across them and refolded the clothes.

“I should be the one asking that to you right now.” She said. "How are you feeling? I can't sleep last night. I kept thinking of you and your condition.”

When I looked at Jiyong, he was smiling at her and sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck. “Didn’t we talk about that yesterday? It’s okay and I actually feel good right now.” He said in a low voice.

“I’m so sorry, Jiyong.”

I couldn't help but roll my eyes and scoffed when she suddenly got emotional again. "I told you it's fine, right?" He said, as he reached for her hand on the table and tapped it softly.  

"Excuse me." I interrupted. "Not that I am intruding but you're aware of the reporters and media around here, right?" I asked, looking at his hand that he immediately withdraw and then to Dara who was blushing.

"You could have at least waited for a few days to let the news die down a bit before you come for a visit. What are you going to do if you are mobbed or hurt once again especially now that you're here and alone? Unless you want him to get hurt again you can't expect him to save you for the third time since he's injured right now because of your own negligence."

"Park Bom." 

I abruptly looked at Jiyong again as I suddenly became aware of what I said. 

"What?" I retorted, returning the same hard look he was giving me. As the room got silent, an heavy awkward atmosphere suddenly formed around us. I didn't say anything wrong for him to give me that kind of look. Before he could even say a word, a sudden call coming from my phone made him to close his mouth and watched me as I pulled out the phone from my pocket. I had never felt so appreciative of receiving a call in my entire life.  

“It's yongbae, I have to answer this call.” I said, as I looked at Dara who suddenly gave me a strange look. Jiyong looked like he was going to say something but stopped when I already answered the phone and walked out of the room. It was actually my uncle on the phone. 

 

 

I was already running out of breath when I reached the outside of my apartment. "Uncle." Reaching for the knob, I knocked on the door repeatedly waiting for uncle to open the door. When he didn't immediately open it, I impatiently pulled out my keys and inserted it on the knob. As soon as I unlocked it, I swung the door open only to see no one inside. 

"Bom." I abruptly looked over my shoulder and eyed yongbae who was standing across me. 

"Where's my uncle?" I asked, walking towards him. 

"He just left a while ago." 

I felt a wave of anger sweep over me. "What? he just called and told me he's here? I came here because of him." I said as I looked around. Something isn't right. I was about to go and run outside in the street with the thought of being able to catch him when Yongbae held my arm, stopping me. 

"Let go." I snapped, pulling my arm from him. 

He looked taken aback as he released me. "Bom, he left this for you." He said, giving me a brown envelope.

"What is that?" I asked, immediately taking the thing from him. The moment I held it, I already knew what was inside.

"Where did he get this money?" The envelope was thick and bulky inside.

 "He told me to tell you not to worry about him. Didn't you receive my message? I texted you earlier about your uncle." 

I didn't respond and just stared at the envelope and him. "Is he kidding me? Does he think I’m going to believe him? There is no way he could earn this huge amount of money in just a short period of time." I said. "I need to call him." I continued. The moment I pulled out my phone, my uncle texted me. The content of the message made me clenched my jaw. 

Bom, I'm sorry if I suddenly left without saying a word to you. The thing is, I’ve been working for this company and they are willing to pay me huge amount of money. I know you're doubting me right now since I always end up getting in trouble but I’m doing this for you and I hope you'll believe me once I get back. The money for the debt is in yongbae's hands. It is not much but it will help a lot.

"Are you okay?" 

"How could he just come and go as he please?" I asked, gripping the phone in my hand. "And you didn't even stop him?!" I hissed, looking at Yongbae. "You know how much I've been wanting to talk to him and you didn't do anything?" I knew I was just lashing out my bottled frustration on him that I felt bad seeing the guilt on his face. 

"I'm sorry, Bom."

He said, even though he didn't really need to apologize. 

 

 

 

 

 

Sorry if there are typos. just made this using my phone :)))

Thank you for reading and feel free to comment.