Chapter 16-3

Cold as ice

JIYONG

One thing I didn’t anticipate after the quite heated discussion that happened almost 4 hours ago was the insufferable awkward dead silence that followed which also made us to ignore each other’s presence. The fact that we were in one room didn’t even ease out the uncomfortable atmosphere surrounding us.

Sighing, I stopped signing the folders in my lap and reluctantly eyed the woman through the corner of my eye. She was still sitting on a single sofa looking so immersed watching TV. Not once, I noticed her looked at my direction which quite dismayed me. We didn’t spoke to each other the entire time and it was starting to be unbearable for me. I wasn’t used to not being able to talk to her or even get near her. Now, I suddenly had no idea of what to say and what to do.

Letting out another exasperated sigh, I leaned against the headboard and closed my eyes as I try to figure out how to act in this kind of situation. It wasn’t new for us to bicker. Even before we got into this relationship, we had already got into situations and disagreements where we ended up yelling and throwing remarks at each other. But the roots of those silly and immature quarrels were just shallow issues that were easily forgotten and mended the moment both of us stopped talking back. Usually after that, we would just go back to normal totally forgetting about it. But that was then. This is now. Things were really different between us now and just by thinking of it made me realized one thing.

We have come a long way.

When I suddenly felt something moving in my lap, I jolted and my eyes abruptly opened only to see Park Bom leaning towards the bed with her hand holding the folders in my lap. Startled, she immediately let it go and stood straight.

“I-I thought you were sleeping. I was just clearing those things.” She explained, stammering.

Amused, I remained in my position and just silently admired her features and awkwardness. “I’m just resting for a bit.” I said, staring at her cheeks that turned in a shade of red.

Nodding stiffly, “Okay then.” She looked like she was going to say something else as we stared at each other for a moment but when she turned her back about to go back to her seat, I immediately reached out and held her wrist, stopping her. She looked over her shoulder quite taken aback and then eyed my hand that was holding hers.

“Bom, I’m sorry.” The words came out before I even knew it.

“Listen.” I paused, squeezing her hand. “I’m not sorry about what I said to you earlier. But I am sorry for the times that I acted recklessly and that I made you worry. I have no idea that what happened to me will affect you this much and I honestly feel both apologetic and well . . .” I shrugged.

“happy to see that.” I added.

Tugging her hand lightly, I motioned at her to take a sit at the edge of the bed. And as soon as she settled down, I continued and said, “I saw how you reacted earlier in the morning about the news and I get where you’re coming from. But you’re also wrong about one thing.”

Confusion crossed her face that made her to open . And before she could even retort to defend herself, I raised a finger, halting her from her incoming objection.

“Listen, first.” I said. “You’re mistaken about what you said to me that I’m acting like what happened is no big deal for me. Because Bom, I’ve never felt so regretful at the thought of suddenly and unexpectedly dying while being apart from Miyoung and you. That scared me and that was the first thing that came to my mind when I woke up here after being unconscious.”

I didn’t fail to see the emotion on her face that suddenly flickered as though something I said hit something on her. And when her face softened, I gently caressed her cheek with the back of my hand. She didn’t say anything in response but I could tell at the way she looked at me thoughtfully that she was pondering about it and when she had gone silent for a long moment, I didn’t mind as I waited.

After a lengthy pause, she let out a sighed and said, “I know your intention is good and that you just want to help me but I will come to you willingly when I really need it, Jiyong." She said, staring at my arm sling. "I will. But right now, I don’t need that yet. You want to show me how much you like me? Fine. I don't have problems with that but there are other ways for you to show it."

I watched her as she looked away and ran her fingers through her long hair. Her face was mixed with another emotion I couldn't describe. 

"I . . ." She trailed off. "I also didn't mean to offend you earlier."

My brows rose up in surprised. Is she apologizing? She had too much pride sometimes but based on how she shyly refused to look at me, I could tell that it took her a lot of effort to say that.

"Really? But what you said to me was really harsh. Seems like you meant it." I said, as I picked up the ball pen beside me and resumed signing the documents in my lap. She didn't say a word nor looked at me after but the way her shoulders drooped dejectedly made me stifle a smile.

What are you going to do now, Park bom?

"I didn't mean it." She responded in a muffled voice. I casted a quick glanced at her again. Her head tilted down as she busied herself fiddling with her fingers. I thought she almost looked like a kid getting scolded for doing something wrong.

“How will I know if you really don’t mean it? I need an assurance, Park Bom." I wasn't even mad at her but I thought she needed a little lecture. Again, she had gone silent and I didn’t mind as I focus on my task.

“What you said hurt me.” I said, when I couldn’t bear the silence anymore. “I don’t even understand why we got into an argument when you can clearly manage to stay calm and not throw a fit of temper on me. Did you know that we just wasted four hours ignoring each other that should have been a time allotted for cuddling, kissing and conversations, Park Bom? Do you have any idea how torturous that was for me? And yet, I see you there, just watching and not even caring to look at me.” I said, as I watched her shifted uncomfortably on the bed.

Clearing my throat, “Since you said and explain it to me nicely this time, I won’t help you for now with your uncle. I wish you would allow me. But you still have your own decision and obviously, I can't make a move and just disregard that without your approval.” I explained.

For a second I thought she looked almost relieved.

“But.” I said, raising my index finger, stopping her from what she was about to say. “Just because I let this matter go doesn’t mean that I am going to forget what you said to me especially those knifelike words from you. Seriously, when I told you at the orphanage that I want you to speak your mind and hear your thoughts I didn’t mean for you to verbally attack me, Park Bom. Though I have to say that you absolutely nailed that part today.” I said, tucking a hair strand behind her ear.

She smiled at that but didn’t say anything. “what? Aren’t you going to say anything?” I questioned.

“You talk too much.” She said, shaking her head.

“Do you want to end this day with misunderstandings between us?” I asked, ignoring her teasing remark.  

“No, I don’t.” She responded, as she slightly squeezed my hand that I placed on hers.

“Well, we finally agreed on something.” I said, as I held her chin, leaned closer and kissed her lips. It was just a quick one that when I was about to pull away, I felt her arms suddenly wrapping around me as she fully embraced me, surprising me. Smiling, I buried my face on her shoulder and pressed my mouth at the side of her neck. “Do you feel sorry now, Park Bom?” I murmured. She remained silent but I felt her pulled me closer as she brushed the back of my head with her fingers. I did the same to her with my one arm, her long soft hair while appreciating the solace that she seemed to emit whenever we were being physically intimate.

BOM

“Can I try yours?”

Looking up from my bowl of corn flavored ice cream, I stared at the cute doe-eyed kid sitting across me and smiled at the sight the stain of chocolate in her upper lip and cheeks. “Sure.” I said, gliding the bowl on the table towards her. I watched her as she eagerly dug her spoon and ate a spoonful of it. The way her eyes sparkled and formed into a smile made me knew she liked the taste of it. “Delicious!” she exclaimed, as she tried to scoop out some more but suddenly stopped and hesitated.

“Is it okay if I eat again?” she asked, blinking.

I was amused at her for asking permission but I nodded.

Beside my bowl, was her almost empty bowl of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry flavored ice cream. It had a lot of sweet colorful sprinkles and marshmallows that I suddenly wondered if it was right to allow her to eat this much. She really likes ice cream. I hope she will not get a sore throat. I remember after picking her up from school earlier, I asked her if she still like to have an ice cream since I wasn’t able to treat her yesterday. She immediately agreed and once we arrived here, she chose those three flavors.

“we’re still going to make cookies tonight, right?” She asked.

I reached for a tissue and cleaned the stains on . “Yes.” I said. I was surprised when she took the tissue from me and reached out her hand. “You also have one on your cheek, unnie.”

“Oh.” I only managed to say as I awkwardly leaned over and let her wiped my face with it. I muttered a thank you as I pulled away and she smiled. “How was your day at school?” I asked, interestedly.

Her eyes sparkled at the mention of it. “Good. Look, I got 3 stars today.” She said as she proudly showed me her right arm, pointed at it and animatedly educated me the meaning of each stars.

“These two are for answering the questions in our recitations in Math and Science. And this one’s for perfecting our quiz.” She explained, smiling at me.

“Really? That’s amazing.” Even I was surprised at the way my voice sounded higher. “You should show that to your dad. I’m sure he will be really happy.” I continued, eyeing the three blue star stamps in her arms.

“Mm. I will.” She responded, nodding eagerly.

The ice cream shop was just a walking distance away from the hospital that I didn’t mind if we stayed for a bit longer. By the time we got back and we reached Jiyong’s ward, Miyoung immediately rushed inside and ran excitedly to the bed while carrying the frog stuff toy she told me she would leave for her dad. As I placed her school bag in the corner, cheerful laughs that belonged to them suddenly surrounded the entire room that I found myself inwardly smiling at that.

JIYONG

“So, when will I get home Dongwook hyung?” I asked, as I looked at the two figures sitting side by side over the table busy eating apples and oranges. Even though they had their backs turned against me and I couldn’t make out of what they were discussing through their whisperings, I could tell that they were having some fun conversation for Miyoung was laughing too much. I had no idea what kind of sorcery or miracle work was this but I was grateful they were both getting comfortable with each other particularly my daughter.

Realizing my doctor didn’t answer my question, I looked up at him only to see him looking somewhere else. I didn’t need to follow his gaze for I knew he was directly looking at my girlfriend. “Hyung, when am I allowed to go home?” I asked, snapping my fingers.

“Oh.” He said, blinking before he stared back at me.

“let me see, Jiyong.” He said, placing the stethoscope to my chest and my back as he listened to my breathing and heart rhythm. After checking my vital signs, he reviewed my medical chart and started to jot down notes.

“There were no damages shown in your brain scan result, your heart rate is fine and your wounds aren’t critical. Your arm may take a week or more weeks to recover but you need to undergo therapy for that as well. How are you feeling now?” He asked, looking at me.

“I feel good.” I said, following his eyes again as he looked at Bom.

“You should stay for a few more days.”

“Why? so you can see her?” I asked, smirking.

He looked at me amused at first and then chuckled. “Who is that pretty woman? I didn’t see her yesterday.” He finally asked.

“Park bom. She’s my girlfriend, hyung. Don’t even try.”

His eyes instantly widened at that. “Are you serious? Please tell me you’re kidding.”

Scoffing, “I’m not kidding.” I responded.

“Oh, seems like I barked up the wrong tree. Apologies.” He chuckled, shaking his head as he looked at my medical chart again. “How long has it been, Jiyong?” I knew what he meant by his question. “7 years.” I responded. Not only he was my friend but also my wife’s doctor.  He was just one of the few people who had been with us through that tough time.

“Time really flies by so fast, right? good to know you’ve found someone again.” He muttered, smiling. “I wish you didn’t find her though.” He added. I laughed at that.

“Anyway, you seem fine and I don’t see you dying in the next 24 hours, 7 days or 20 years. You can already go home tomorrow but don’t go to work and take a rest for a few more days since you’re not fully recovered yet. Most importantly, make sure you come for your check-ups and therapy.”

"Can I go home tonight?" I asked, curiously. 

Dongwook gave me a look but nodded anyway. "Discharging time is only until 10 Jiyong so if you want to go home which I know you will do then yes, you may."


“Dad.”

“Mm?”

As I looked at my daughter lying next to me on the bed, I immediately noticed the way she was staring up at me with those puppy eyes of hers. “What is it?” I asked, eyeing her well braided hair. Bom was really doing a good job styling her hair I just hoped my daughter wouldn’t ask me to do that same complicated thing.

“When are you going to come home?” She asked.

“Why? Are you missing me already?”

I grinned when she nodded. “I’m not used to you not being around the house, dad.” She said, forming in a cute pout. “But bom’s taking care of you well, right?”

She nodded. “But you’re different.” She said, as she lay down next to me again. Bom wasn’t in the room so I took that as a chance to ask my daughter about her. “Is she good to you?” I asked, curiously.

A small smile played on her lips then. “Mm. She’s really nice to me. Like yesterday, she helped me with my dress and my hair before my play. Look at my hair, it's called French braid.” She said, as she showed it off to me. Suddenly she gasped. “Oh, I almost forgot. She even recorded my play on her phone yesterday so we could watch it together since you weren't able to come. Can we watch it once you get home?”

Amused, “She did that? Of course, we can.”

Nodding, “he even took a lot of pictures of me, dad.” She smiled. “And today she treated me an ice cream.” She didn’t need to tell me that for her white uniform full with chocolate stains already made me knew it. She had blast. 

“And what did you two did together last night?” I asked, petting her head.

“We played together, she helped me with my homework and we watched Aladdin.” Just like what Bom said.

"You seem to be getting along well with your nanny this time, miyoung. Why's that?" I asked. 

Shrugging, "Well, she isn't like my previous nannies trying to only act nice when you're around." She pouted. "And besides Bom unnie always comforts me. I like it. She is nice, you know. Do you like her?" My brows rose up in surprised. I watched her as she sat up and faced me with her expressionless face. 

She was a seven years old girl and obviously capable of understanding and asking questions that interests her but this was something I didn't quite expect especially at a moment like this. Nodding, "Yes, she is a friend that I like." I explained. I watched her expression carefully looking for signs of disapproval but to my relief she didn't respond liked the way she used to do. I didn't tell her that I was dating Bom for I was worried that it might surprise her. Maybe slowly, I would reveal everything to her. 

"Why do you like her?" she asked, chewing her lip. 

"Because I see how she’s genuine and she takes care of you really well. You know you are my priority right? so it’s important that she treat you well."

BOM

“Chocolate chips.”

“Check.”

"Flour."

"Check."

"Sugar."

"Check."

"Eggs."

"Check."

"Vanilla extract."

"Che . . . Oh . . .uhm . . ."

Folding the paper that contained the lists of ingredients, I glanced at Miyoung. She was perched up on a stool, looking so confused as she looked over the counter trying to find the last ingredient I stated. We were just checking if we already had all what we needed before we start baking.

"The bottle beside the pack of flour, Miyoung. That's the vanilla." I said, pointing at it.

She followed my finger and immediately grabbed the brownish bottle that had a label of pure vanilla extract on it. "Oh, so this is what it looks like.” She mumbled.  “Check!" She grinned, as she showed it to me.

Chuckling, "Very good and I like your enthusiasm." I said, as I walked behind her and tied her pink apron properly.

"Are we going to start making cookies now?" She asked.

"Mm, Yes.” I said, smiling.

After I measured all the amount of ingredients needed, I allowed Miyoung to do the whole preparation on her own with just me guiding and telling all the directions. It wasn’t hard to do anyway and all she had to do was mixed the concoction. “Does your arm hurt? Do you need help?” I asked, looking at her as she stirred all the ingredients in a one large transparent bowl. Shaking her head, "No, I can do this." She muttered. "Am I doing a good job unnie?" she asked, glancing sideways at me.

"Yes, you are." I said, petting her head. "Stir that a little more and then we will add the chocolate chips, okay?" I continued.

As I waited for her to finish, I got up from the stool and walked towards the oven that I just preheated to 375ºF. "Do you think dad will like this?" I heard Miyoung asked.

looking over my shoulder, "He won't like it."

She looked surprised that she stared at me and then to the bowl. "Oh." she mumbled, suddenly looking depressed.

"He will love it." I said, as I let out the laugh I restrained. She stared back at me blinking at first and slowly, her pout changed into a huge grin.

By the time the we finished the preparation, I handed her an ice cream scoop and let her dipped it into the cookie dough, scooping before dropping it on the cookie sheet. "Nice." I muttered, as I looked at the perfect circle cookies. She turned her head at me and smiled as I removed the flour in her nose.

"Now, let's bake it."

Ten minutes later, I pulled out the first batch of freshly baked cookies from the oven and placed it on the counter. "Let's taste it, let's taste it!" miyoung excitedly repeated as she tugged my arm. Chuckling, I picked up a piece of warm cookie, tore it apart and shared the other piece to her. As soon as we tasted it, we both looked at each other, mirroring the same amusing expressions on our faces. "Yummy!" She exclaimed, beaming at me. I was out of words I just vigorously nodded in agreement and took another bite admiring the taste and texture of this piece of heaven. The side part was crunchy but the center was soft and chewy I could almost feel it melting in my mouth. "Delicious." I muttered, as I looked at Miyoung beside me. She was already reaching for her second cookie and I was surprised when she copied what I did as she tore it apart and shared the other half to me. "Can we do this again?" She asked, chewing.

"Did you have fun doing it?" I questioned, brushing the crumbs from her cheek.

She stared at me with her sparkling eyes as she nodded. "Yes. It was really fun." She smiled.

"How about we try to bake something else next time? How about . . . " I paused, thinking for a while.

"Cupcakes!" she yelled, cheerfully. I looked at her and returned the same bright smile. "Cupcakes?" I asked.

She nodded eagerly. "I like cupcakes. Can we do it next time? Please? Please?" The way she pouted and acted cutely at me made me cackled. I already knew my answer anyway but I remained silent for a moment wanting to add a little suspense. Shortly after, I nodded. "Okay, wish granted."

Her eyes widened immediately. "Really? Thank you, Bom unnie." She grinned.

"You're really the best!" She exclaimed. Surprising me as she suddenly spread her arms, threw herself and hugged me. I think I felt myself completely froze for good ten seconds shocked by her action. My arms were awkward not entirely sure whether to placed it on her back or just let it stay 10 inches away from her. But once my brain managed to sink in what was happening, I smiled and caressed her back.

"You're welcome."

 

 

 

 

Thank you for reading! :)