Chapter 3

Cold as ice

BOM

While I was crossing the street, I could feel my ankle aching so much after I accidentally twisted it when I saved the little girl. I walked with a limp as I tried to shake away the thought of me almost being dead after I played a hero earlier.

“I wonder if this money he gave me is enough.” I muttered, looking at the money I was holding before putting it inside my pocket. “Miss.” while I was walking, I felt a hand landed on my shoulder. I turned to see who it was and I saw a familiar man wearing a suit. I could tell that he had been chasing me since he was running out of breath. But why is he chasing me?

I looked at his hand on my shoulder before I glanced at him. I think he noticed that I didn’t like his hand touching me. Knowing there must be a reason why he was here, I waited for him to talk.

“Come with me” he said, looking serious.

“what?” I furrowed my brow trying to understand what he meant.

“I can see you’ve hurt yourself. i want to make sure you’re oka—“

“I’m fine” I said, not even letting him to finish his words. I noticed His eyes slightly grew wider quite surprised by my response. “You can’t walk properly. I want to take you to the doctor to check if you’re really fine.” He insisted.

“I’m really fine.” I said.

“This is my payment for helping my daughter. Accept it.” He said.

Seriously, there was something about this man that irritated me. I just didn’t know what it was. As I stood across him, I happened to look at his wrist watch and noticed the time. Suddenly, i realized that I was almost late for my job interview. 

“I told you I’m fine. I have something else to do.” I said, turning my back away from him.

“The hospital is just near here. I’ll take you there by car it won’t take that long, miss.”

 

JIYONG

“You’re really persistent. Why don’t you just give me money for my medical fee.” I could sense the irritation in her voice as she responded to me coldly. After seeing her having a hard time to walk from afar earlier I just couldn’t ignore it.

“Then if you’re really okay, Allow me to see you walk properly. After seeing that, I’ll let you leave.” I said, knowing it would be painful for her to walk without limping. I saw a subtle smirk playing on her lips as if she just said, challenge accepted.

Turning her back, she began walking away from me. I watched her walked straight. “Such a hard headed girl.” I muttered, walking towards her. “Come with me. You’re going to injure your ankle more with what you are doing.” I said, grabbing her wrist.

 “What? Let go!”

“I just want to help why are you acting so hard to get?” I asked. It wasn't very kind of me to just grabbed her like that but she was a very complicated lady.

“What?” she scowled. “And how about you? You’re doing what you want, you didn’t even ask me if I want to come with you to the hospital. You’re acting so bossy!”

“Me? bossy?” I glared at her.

“Fine! If you don’t want to come with me then go. I just want to help you but you’re attitude doesn’t please me at all. When someone else is doing a good favor for you can’t you just accept it and say thank you?”

“It’s not like I force you to do that favor for me so why would i say that?” she responded, pulling her wrist away from my grip. Since we were already arguing, I decided to just let her go. I didn’t see this would be happening though. If she only agreed with me then everything would probably go smoothly.

 

BOM

“Because of that man, I’m 30 minutes late for my job interview.” I let out a sighed as I entered the Luxe Hotel.

As expected from this luxurious place, everything here looked so expensive from the interior designs up to the furniture. Only those people who could afford high price of accommodation could check-in and experience this luxury.

“Good morning ma’am how may I help you?” A woman wearing corporate attire with thick eyeliner suddenly approached me. I guess she noticed me just standing in the center looking so lost in this huge place. Though she was smiling, I could see her eyes observing me from head to toe. “I need to meet Mr. Kwon Jiyong” I said.

“What is your business with him?” she asked. I had no idea why but she looked a little surprised.

“I’m applying for a certain job. He told me to meet him at the lounge.” I responded.

The woman eyed me suspiciously before she nodded and motioned at me to follow her. At the front office desk, I watched her dialed a number through the phone. “Hello Seungri, is Mr. Kwon already in his office?” She asked, looking so composed and prim. As I stood behind her, I happened to look around the surroundings. I was just watching the people leave and enter the vicinity when I suddenly noticed a recognizable person walking through the glass entrance door. My eyes were fixed to that person and to the little girl who was with him.

“Oh, there he is. Mr. Kwon!” the lady beside me slightly yelled.

My gazed followed her as I watched her ran with her high heeled shoes. “Don’t tell me . . .” my eyes widened in disbelief when she stopped in front of the man I saw and talked to him. I didn’t know why but suddenly, before he could even look at me, I turned my back.   

JIYONG

“Mr. Kwon, someone is looking for you.” Chaerin suddenly appeared in front of me while I was walking hand-in-hand with Miyoung.

“who?” I asked, nonchalantly.

“That lady over there.” she said, motioning her hand toward the front desk.

I turned my head and noticed three ladies standing there but what really caught my attention was the lady wearing a hat, black hoodie, denim jeans and the white converse sneakers. “She said she’s applying for a job and you asked her to meet you at the lounge” chaerin said. My eyes never left the woman as I unknowingly walked toward her. I couldn’t see her face since she was facing the opposite side. I didn’t know why but something inside me was anticipating that it was her.

A smirked formed across my lips as I realized that it was indeed her. “Such a small world, we meet again.” I tapped her shoulder and she turned to face me. I couldn’t see her expression as she was looking down on the floor. “you know her?” Chaerin asked, surprised. I nodded, smiling.

“Yeah, she saved my daughter from the accident earlier.” I paused, “Unfortunately, she declined my offer to go to the hospital.” I said.

Finally, she glanced at me. “Are you Mr. Kwon Jiyong?” she asked. I nodded.

“And you are?”

 “Park bom”

“Should we discuss your job interview in my office?” I asked.

“Are you still planning on hiring me despite of what I did to you earlier?”

I put on an innocent face as I responded, “what did you do? And I never told you I will hire you.” I said, smiling. Noticing she was trying to suppress her patience at me, I invited her to come with me in my office. We ride the elevator together with my daughter who was busily playing with her doll. “Mi yeong-ah, do you remember her? She was the one who saved you earlier why don’t you thank her?” I said, pointing at Bom. Mi yeong glanced up at me before she moved her gaze to the unknown lady in front of her. “Thank you” she said, bowing down. Meanwhile, Ms. Park didn’t respond and just stared at the number of floor lighting up. Once we were at the 20th floor, the door suddenly opened. We passed a few rooms before we arrived in the private penthouse suite. “please come inside” I said, opening the door for her. “Dad why is she here with us?” mi yeong suddenly asked. “We’re going to talk about something Mi yeong-ah” I paused, “why don’t you go to the bed and play with your toys there. Daddy will just talk to the lady here.” I said, eyeing her.

BOM

“I see you don’t have any experience in babysitting.” Mr. Kwon handed back my resume as I sat across his black desk. I nodded in response to him. “Miyoung is a 7 year old kid. She’s very sweet and playful but mischievous too. She’s not that hard to take care of. If ever you will be hired, you’re going to be with her everyday 6 times a week.” He paused, taking a glance at her daughter who was running around the office. I looked back curiously at her and noticed how in an instant, the office turned messy. Toys all over the place, crumbs of foods and juice spilled on the floor and her pink dress looked dirty from the clay she had been playing. I glanced back at him when he faked a cough. “So Mrs. Park, are you ready to start by tomorrow?” he asked. I was a bit surprised at his question I thought he wouldn’t hire which I think was a good choice. “Yes.” I said, although deep inside I was a bit hesitant since I wasn’t fond of taking care of little kids. “you sure?” a smile playing across his lips as if there was some hidden meaning from it. “I’ll baby sit your kid and you will pay me. That’s all we have to do right?” I asked. “Very well said Ms. Park” he responded. Seeing him already got up from his seat and walking towards the door, I took that as a sign that were already finished. “You can’t leave yet.” He said, standing at the doorway. I looked at him curiously I was already preparing to leave too. “I’ll just go somewhere and get back here afterwards you can go.” He said. Without even letting me to talk, he just left and closed the door behind leaving me with his daughter.  “i should follow him right? He’s my boss now anyway.” I muttered under my breath.

Standing in the balcony, I couldn’t help but admire the beautiful city of Seoul. Ever since I got here 3 years ago, it was my first time to really be able to have a better look at the city. I was always busy working and finding a job. Removing my hat, I let my long brown hair fell free over my shoulders as the wind blew it. It was very refreshing and made me feel like I was in Jeju again. While I was having this peaceful moment, i noticed from the corner of my eyes a little figure standing beside me. I glanced down at Mi yeong who was more like glaring at me while hugging her frog stuff toy much bigger than her. is that Kermit the frog? “You’re not the first girl.” She said, smirking. What is trying to say? I wondered.

“Don’t try to flirt with my dad!” my eyes grew wide in amusement. did she just yelled at me?

“what?” I asked in disbelief.

“you can’t flirt with my dad.” She said, smirking. Somehow, the way she smirked resembled her dad even the way she talked in a very commanding way.

i had no idea why but i suddenly chuckled. “don’t worry, okay?” I bent down to her level patting her head.

“I won’t flirt with your dad. Never.” I said, wincing at the thought of it. Seeing her not even convinced with me, I leaned a little closer to her. 

“He is not my type.”

 

“Then what’s your ideal type Ms. Park?”