Chapter 14-2

Cold as ice

JIYONG

"As of now, we are 50% done with the construction of Luxe Hotel in Utopia and—" 

"Wait, I have a question.”

When the lights were switched on in the meeting room, I flipped through the pages of a folder in my desk before I looked at the man standing in the platform.

"It states here that by the end of this month, it will be 70 percent done. But you're here, reporting to me that it's 50 percent done instead.” Closing the folder, "As your client Mr. Siwon, I should have been informed about this beforehand but I wasn't. So explain to me what's with the delay?" I asked, clasping my hands on the table. 

"I apologize for failing to tell you this, sir. I have to admit there had been miscommunications which caused the delay of the constructions." 

"Miscommunications with who?" I questioned, frowning. 

"With the contractors and suppliers, sir. There are some resources that were not acquired on time due to the lack of availability." 

Playing the ball pen in my hand, "And as an engineer and a project leader for this, I trust that you have already settled that problem or are there going to be more delays like this in the future?" I asked. 

"Rest assure that I have already settled the problem, sir. Right now, the construction is going smoothly. I've also contacted other suppliers just in case there will be a scarce in some resources again." 

"Do you think this delay will impact the completion date?"  

"With regards to that if you will permit, I am suggesting to increase the construction time and make it 24 hours a day."

I gave his words some thoughts before I began to question again. "Do we have enough laborers for that? Won't it slow down the process since we have to divide the laborers?" 

Shaking his head, "We have enough supply of sub-contractors that can work in the day shift and the night shift, sir." 

Eyeing him for a moment, "Okay, do that if that will help to speed up the construction. Next time, inform me immediately when something has changed. I am no engineer but I don’t like being cast aside especially if it’s something that concerns me."

"Proceed to your presentation." I added, as leaned against the swivel chair. 

When the lights were turned off, the only light that was illuminating the whole meeting room was the one coming from the projector which displayed the current progress of the construction of the Luxe hotel in Utopia. I tried to focus my attention on it but I couldn’t for my mind was too busy thinking and worrying of Bom who didn’t text nor call me.

She's okay. She's probably in the house already. You're just being paranoid, Jiyong.   

By the time the meeting ended, I immediately went out of the boardroom and met Seungri who was as usual, waiting for me outside.

“Hyung, how’s the meeting?” He asked, as we walked in the hallway. I doubt he was really interested to know how it went but I still gave him an answer. “Not good.” I muttered, shaking my head.

 Seeing the elevator was full with the hotel employees, Seungri and I headed to the door instead and took the stairs.

As we descended, “Park ji hoon was in Dara’s suite earlier.”

“Did he checked-in this hotel?” I asked, curiously.

“No, I think he just came to visit his daughter.”

Nodding, “I am still suspicious of him so keep your eyes on him. I still don’t have any idea why did he want me to train Dara. Don’t you find that strange?” I asked, sliding my hands inside my pocket.  

“I do find it strange too but you know what I’m thinking?” He paused, as he suddenly jumped in front of me, blocking my way.  “I think he likes you for Dara” He grinned.

Giving him a deadpan look, “You better not say things like that in front of Bom.” I said, motioning at him to move away. “And besides, this is quite embarrassing. But I assumed the same thing last night when he invited me for dinner.”

“And?” he asked, following behind me.

“And he seemed that he really just wanted me to help him with Dara.”  When we reached the last steps, I opened the door and the cold air greeted us as we found ourselves in the luxurious lobby.

 “Good morning, Mr. Kwon.” Greeted one female staff.

I smiled in return before I tugged Seungri’s suit’s sleeve and nodded at the direction where Dara was sitting. She was in the middle of filming her new drama and was acting out a scene where she was yelling angrily at a woman who was dressed in a ragged clothing. “I heard she’s the lead villain for this drama.” Seungri muttered.

“Really?” I asked, observing her. She was dressed in a black mini dress. Her usual make-up free face was now covered with some dark thing on her eyes and her lips painted red. She really looked like a villain and the fact that she was really engrossed in her acting and undeniably good at it quite impressed me. If I agreed on Mr. Park’s condition, would that mean that I had to help him end his daughter’s career? The thought of it didn’t feel right to me.

Looking at my wristwatch, “Seungri, can you check Bom for me if she’s— “

I was suddenly interrupted by the sound of incoming call. Pulling out my phone from my pocket, I looked at the screen and immediately answered it when I saw that it was Bom. 

"Where are you?" I asked, as I nodded at Seungri who asked for my permission to leave. I held my phone close to my ear as I listened to her.

"I'm at the Parking lot already. Are you done with your meeting?" she asked.  

"Yes, I'll go there right now. You forgot to call me earlier. I told you to tell me when you get home." 

"It slipped my mind. I did housework as soon as I arrived." 

Sighing, "I called you. You could have answered your phone."

"Let's talk when you get here. I'll hung up now, bye." 

 Pressing my lips tight, I looked at my phone and frowned when she really hung up on me. "This woman." I sighed. "Well at least she said, bye this time." I muttered, placing the phone back in my pocket. 

 

When I reached the parking lot, I found her standing over my car while fiddling with her phone. She was too absorbed in it that when I pressed my key fob and the car made a beep beep sound, she jumped in fright and almost cursed but refrained herself when she saw me approaching.

Laughing, "You easily get startled." I said, opening the car door for her. She made a face as she walked towards me. "Are we going to the orphanage already?" She asked. 

"Did you take a bath?" I asked, noticing her slightly damp her. 

A blush made way on her cheeks as she nodded sheepishly. "I was covered in sweat after I cleaned. I hope you don't mind I used the shower in the guest room." 

"Of course, I don't." I smiled, opening the door for her again. "Hop in." 

"Are we going to the orphanage already?" she asked for the second time. 

"Yes. Get in, Bom." When I put my hand on her waist and urged her to get in the passenger seat, she closed the door and leaned against it instead.

"Where is the orphanage located? And how long will it take before we get there?” She said, looking at me.

“Gapyeong and it’s 1 hour and 45 minutes away.” I said, looking at my wristwatch.

The way she looked at me with her clear innocent eyes made me realized she wanted to tell me something. "What is it, Park Bom?" I asked.

“Do you want to ride the train instead?” She asked, tilting her head to the side. I didn’t expect that question so it took me a while before I said, “We have a car. It’s practical to ride this instead, Bom.”  

"O-okay. I'm just suggesting." She said, as she pressed her lips and turned to open the car's door. Suddenly feeling guilty for turning her down, “Do you really want to ride the train?” 

“Hmm. Yes.” She immediately said.  

If she is capable of saying yes as fast as this, then why can’t she agree with me most of the time?

“Why?” I asked, curiously.

Shrugging, “No particular reason. I just feel like it.” She said, looking at me. The way her eyes seemed to sparkle a bit with some hope didn’t make me question her further. I had never ridden a train before but if she wanted it then why not.

Letting out a sighed, I stared at her lovely face once again and nodded. “Fine.”

 

 

“Jiyong, do you want to exchange seats?”

I was too fascinated at the view outside and the double decked train that I didn’t even realized that I was leaning too much until Bom, who was sitting in the window seat, interrupted my very touristy and slightly ignorant behavior. Clearing my throat, I looked at her from the corner of my eye before I pulled back.

“No.” I said, leaning against my seat.

She looked at me simpering. “Amusing, huh?” I said, looking at the smile on her lips. 

Restraining her smile, she feigned innocence at me. “What? No.” she said, looking at the window to avoid my gaze. I held her chin with my hand and turned her to face me. “You know that I don’t commute. Is that the reason why you suggested this? To make fun of me?” I asked, looking suspiciously at her.

Chuckling softly, “A little.” She admitted. “But I already know you’re going to act like this and I’m not making fun of you. It’s the situation that’s funny.” she said. 

Raising my brow, "So I am a source of entertainment now, Park Bom?" I asked. She shrugged. Smiling in return, I took her hand that was resting on her thigh and intertwined it with mine. I guess riding this train wasn’t a bad idea after all. It was spacious, clean and had a two-by-two seating arrangements which was a good thing.

"Do you ever just go out for a drive with no destination in mind?" She asked, staring at the window. Her eyes suddenly seemed distant.

"I used to do that before. Back when I was young and had no responsibilities yet." I responded, looking at her pretty side profile. "How about you? Do you also do that?" 

Turning her attention at me, "Yes.” She nodded. “Except that I ride the train instead."

"Alone?" I asked, amused.

Somehow, the thought of her doing that alone didn't seem to be a good idea to me.

Nodding, “I like the feeling of walking and wandering around in an unfamiliar place where people don’t know who you are. Somehow, it helps me clear my mind especially at times when I need to be alone.” There was something about the way she looked at me when she said that. 

“Is that why you wanted to ride this train? Why? Is something bothering you?” I asked, looking worriedly at her.

“No, nothing.” She responded, giving my hand a squeezed. “And besides, that was a long time ago. I just wanted to share it because I thought you might be interested.” she added.

I liked that she voluntarily opened that up to me without me asking it first.

“Well, thank you for sharing it and just to let you know everything about you is interesting.” I responded.

When I attempted to kiss her, I felt her hand to my chest slightly pushing me.

“Don’t do that here.”

“Why?” I asked, pulling away. 

“I just don’t like doing this stuff in public.”

“But I do.” I said, looking intently at her.

“wha-what?" She blinked. "Why?” 

The way she looked perplexed made me stifle a smile. “Because that’s just the way I am and I really like you.”

"But I don’t like it. It’s . . . it’s embarrassing." She firmly said.

Nodding in understanding, I unclasped my hand from her and leaned against my seat. There was flat screen TV mounted in front that I just focused my attention on it as I tried to masked my disappointment. Embarrassing? 

For a moment I could feel her staring at me. I didn't say a word nor bother to look at her but when it lasted for quite long, I felt her fingers creeping up until she finally held my hand and leaned the side of her head against my shoulder. To say that I was surprised, was an understatement.

"I thought you don't like doing stuff like this? And didn't you say you're embarrass of me?" I asked.

"Jiyong, stop twisting the words. I was referring to the kiss, not you.  This isn't a kiss and let me lean for a bit I'm getting sleepy." 

Or you’re embarrass. I kept that thought in my head.

Looking at our hands on the arm rest between us, I smiled inwardly before I peered at her from the corner of my eye. She had her eyes closed already.

"Are you upset?" she mumbled, nudging me a little at my side with her elbow.

“No. I understand.” I responded, tapping her head with my other hand.

“Really?” The way she sarcastically said it made me think she didn’t believe me.

“Well, I have to admit I sulk a little bit but it's okay. I understand. And besides, it will only take 6 months for my wounded ego to recover.” I said.

Her sound of chuckle and the slight squeezed in my hand was the only respond I got afterwards. 

BOM

"Is this really an orphanage?" 

Tilting my head up and down, I looked at the beautiful white house with an architecture that I could only define as a Classical Revival-style.

"Beautiful?" Glancing at Jiyong who was standing beside me, "Yes." I said, turning around.

The fact that we passed a tall black gate and a nice driveway entrance filled with colorful flowers and trees didn't seem to fit the picture I had in my mind. I was expecting an old or vintage kind of house but this one was beyond my imagination.

"Bom, you really should close your mouth." Jiyong said, distracting me from my thoughts. Pressing my lips together, I looked at him as he took my hand again after pressing the doorbell. 

"This place is really huge and beautiful." I said, staring at him.  

Smiling, "Wait until you see what's behind this house. I'll give you a tour later."

"You seemed so familiar here. Are you. . . perhaps. . . "  

"An orphan?" He interrupted, amused. "No, Bom. You met my parents already." he said, chuckling. 

"Uncle!"

"Jiyong oppa!" 

Startled by the sudden loud noises, I turned my attention to the unfamiliar kids who bursted out from the door and began hugging Jiyong. Still taken aback by the commotion, I found myself in the corner of the front porch watching all of them swarmed up to him. They were girls and boys probably in the age of 6 to 12 or 15. "We missed you!" They said repeatedly. 

I could tell Jiyong was pleased to see them as well by the way he smiled broadly. "How are you guys? You've gotten all taller." He said, as he patted all of them in the head. It wasn't like he had done something unusual but my heart made a skipped when he picked a little boy and carry him in his arms as he peck his chubby cheek. He was probably the same age as Miyoung. While watching them, two identical women came out of the door and just like the kids, they were beaming at him too.

"Jiyong." 

One word from the petite, short dark haired woman and everyone got silent. I watched Jiyong, put down the little boy before he approached the woman and kissed her cheek. "mother." He said, grinning at her. "It's been so long." she responded. She looked like she was about to tear up but Jiyong tapped her shoulder and then turned his attention to the big woman who I assumed was the cook or something since she was wearing a white apron over her bright yellow shirt and jeans.

"Aunt Jinhee." he said, hugging her. "Oh God, look at you! my baby boy." she beamed, as she pulled him into a tight hug.

"I missed you and your food I hope you cooked something delicious for me." 

"Of course I did! Jeez how dare you call us in the last minute. I'm glad to see you." she grinned, tapping his shoulders. 

After the short greetings, the kids began talking all at once again as they surrounded him. Behind the opened door, I noticed the other kids who were inside waiting or probably curious at what was happening here.

"Do you have gifts for us?"

"Hyung let's play!"

"Oppa we're baking cookies for you please come and taste it!" 

"Of course, I have gifts for you guys." He said.

 We came empty-handed I wonder if he contacted Seungri and asked him to follow us.

"And I’ll play with all of you later." He added.  

"Who are you?" 

It got silent when one of them, the one Jiyong carried earlier suddenly approached me. Looking down, I stared at him and he had the most adorable face I had ever seen. His chubby cheeks were rosy red and his puppy eyes were twinkling. I felt everyone's eyes moved to me and I couldn't help but be mortified at the sudden attention. "Uhm. . ." I mumbled, awkwardly. I stared at Jiyong hoping for some rescue but he was just cocking a brow at me as if waiting for me to say something. 

"I'm Park bom. I work for Ji—"

"My girlfriend." 

He interrupted. I abruptly looked at him taken aback by what he said. I noticed the way he sternly looked at me before he stood beside me and put a hand on my waist. "She's my girlfriend. Her name's Park Bom." As soon as he finished, the children suddenly surrounded us and began swooning over us. I looked at Jiyong questionably and he was giving me an obvious bitter smile. When I gazed back at the two women standing over the door, they were both warmly smiling at me. 

"Nice to meet you, Bom." they said.

 I thought they were going for a handshake when they held out their hands but I was quite surprised when they pulled me into a warm hug. "Nice to mee you too." I plainly said, still bothered at Jiyong.  

 

"Have a drink first, unnie." 

As soon as I sat down on the sofa in the living room, a young girl handed me a glass of cold refreshment. I smiled at her before I took a sip from the drink. "These are the cookies we made. Please have some unnie." Said another little girl. She placed it on the mini table across me and gave me a piece with her two tiny hands. As I nibbled the cookies, the kids excitedly gathered around me. Others who couldn't sit beside me on the sofa, sat on the floor instead. 

 They’re cute. If only Miyoung’s here she’ll enjoy playing with them.

"What are your names? And how old are you?" I asked, chewing.

 They were the same kids who welcomed Jiyong earlier. I didn’t get the chance to count all of them but now that I did, I realized they were 10 in total. 5 girls and 5 boys. They seemed to be the one who were the closest to Jiyong the most for the others stayed a little aloof and shy. One by one, they introduced their selves to me. The youngest was 6 and the oldest was 15.

“Unnie is so pretty. No wonder Jiyong oppa likes you.” Said a girl named Yoona. She was the oldest in the girls.

“well, you’re pretty too.” I responded, looking at her sitting on the floor. Just then, someone made a barf sound. “Bom noona, you need to have your eyes check. She’s not pretty.”

“Lee Seunggi!”

Clutching a pillow, I watched Yoona threw a pillow at him and he caught it immediately. His laughed was contagious that the younger kids laughed along too. “Don’t worry Bom unnie, they do that all the time.” I heard one of them say making my worries disappear. As I watched Seunggi, I realized that something about him and his teasing remarks made me remind of Jiyong. 

“Unnie, do you want to play with us? There’s a playground garden outside, you should see it.” They invited.

Even though i haven't agreed on them yet, I could tell by the way they stood up excitedly that they weren't getting much visitors here.

Before saying anything, I looked at the mahogany door in the corner where the Matron’s office was located. Jiyong was still inside still talking privately to those women he called mother and Aunt Jinhee earlier. They seemed really closed that i realized they might need more time catching up with each other after their discussion about the burned school.  So instead of lounging here, I decided that spending my time with the children wasn’t a bad idea. And without hesitation I said, “Sure, I like that.”

 

“Don’t let me catch you all!”   

I couldn’t remember when was the last time I had so much fun like this that I was panting and already sweating after playing jump rope and tug of war with the kids. Now, as I peered through the bushy thick plants that made my arms itched, I found Seunggi wandering in the playground garden. I couldn’t believe I was actually playing hide n seek and now getting fidgety at the thought of getting caught.  When I saw him turned his attention at my direction, I slowly pulled back and crawled on the ground. It was bushy around here so I wasn’t that worried of getting seen.  When I found a perfect secluded area that led to some stony pathway, I hid behind a fence with my knees curled up to my chest and my arms wrapped around my legs. The high-pitched laughter and squeals coming from the kids made me chuckled.

“Having fun?”

Jumping in fright, I looked over my shoulder and found Jiyong crouching down beside me.  I thought I was going to die from an heart attack seeing how he appeared out of nowhere. “What are you doing here?” I whispered. I could feel the sweat tricking down from my forehead to my cheeks as I looked at him still wide-eyed. “I should be the one asking that question to you.” He chuckled.

“The children wanted to play with me. I couldn’t say no.” I said, wiping my forehead with the sleeve of my shirt. I peered through the fence again when I heard another bark of laughter.

 “You’ve gotten close to them pretty fast.” He said, amused.

Staring back at him, “They’re very nice and besides, I noticed they are really close to you.”

“They’re my extended family. Come on, I’ll show you around.” He said, as he stood up.

“But—“

“I told Seunggi to exclude you in the game.” He interrupted, reaching out a hand to me.

Standing up, I dusted my pants as I stared at him confusedly, “Where are we going?”

Taking my hand, “You’ll see.” 

 

 

"This place is so peaceful." I muttered, as I strolled through the garden archway made of branches and wires with leaves and beautiful colorful flowers surrounding it. The place looked very romantic and revitalizing. Stopping on my track, I looked over my shoulder and stared at Jiyong who was silently just following me from a distance. The entire time we were together, I was aware of his eyes observing me. 

 "Why aren't you talking to me?" I asked.

I noticed his lips slightly curved upwards at that but he didn't say anything. I watched him plucked a small yellow bell-shaped flower stuck on one of the branches before he took a stride towards me. "Do you like flowers?" He asked, placing the thing in my hand. 

I didn't even look at what he placed on my palm as I kept my gaze fixed on him.

"I don't know if I like it but I find flowers very pleasing."

"You’re looking at me." He paused, tilting his head to the side. "Are you referring to this or me?"

“The flower.” 

He smiled placidly as he studied my face. “Why didn’t you tell earlier that you’re my girlfriend?”

"We didn't talk about that." I responded. I knew we were going to discuss this matter. 

“Bom, we’ve been doing all sorts of things that couples do. We even talked about personal matters. I thought we were on the same page.” 

“Yes, I know." I paused, noticing a slight frown forming on his brows.

"But I don’t want to assume things and put a label on us when we didn’t even talk about that. Anyone can make-out nowadays and have little conversations about their lives without putting any meaning to it. You know, to be safe I don’t want you or me to get the wrong idea."

It didn't escape my eyes the way he clenched his jaw at what i said. "We both know that what we have isn't meaningless." He said. "Why are you sudenly acting like this?" He added, locking eyes with me.

"Acting like what?" 

"Acting like you suddenly don't care."  

Sighing, I was going to turn and walk when he held me firmly by my shoulders that I accidentally dropped the flower from my hand. 

“I am yours.” The way he said it while looking intently at me made my breath caught in my throat. 

“From the moment I admitted my feelings for you, when you kissed me back the first night I kissed and held you, I became yours. I don’t know whether it’s because of the fact that you’ve never been in a relationship that you didn’t get that despite of all those things that we did but I am making things clear right now. I am yours and--“

“What if I’m contented with us being like this? What if I don’t want to be committed?” I asked, interrupting him. 

At my question, I felt his hands slightly loosened over my shoulders. He looked taken aback and defeated i wished i could take back those words. “What If.” I emphasized. 

He studied me for a long moment with his brows furrowed in concern before he said, “Then I guess I have to court you until you say, yes." when he paused, he squeezed my shoulders lightly.

"I am serious about you and I can wait if that's what you want. I'm willing to do that until you're prepared. I'm a father of a child. You're single, young and beautiful and i understand if you don't want to be in a relationship yet and if you have other priorities you need to put first. I can wait until you're ready." He added. 

"What if i don't want you to wait because i don't want anything to do with you anymore?" 

When he let out an exasperated sigh, he took a step back releasing his hands from my shoulders. "Do you want me to believe that?" He asked, looking annoyed at me. "I don't know why you're suddenly doing this or why do i feel like you're subtly trying to push me now when we both know we have a mutual feelings for each other."

"I was asking what--" 

"Stop with the what ifs!" He exclaimed, as he paced back and forth before he looked at me again. 

"Bom, I like you and you like me. Can't we just focus on that? Don't tell me that you don't want anything to do with me when i look at you now and all i see is that emotion in your eyes i wish you could tell me!" He hissed, throwing up his hands. I eyed him as he paced back and forth again. The frown on his brows deepening the longer he waited for me to say a word.

"I have feelings for you." I admitted, staring at him as his expression softened in relief.

"I want to try but i don't know if this feeling will grow into something more. You are so transparent with your feelings for me to the point that you verbally and physically show it to me and it sometimes overwhelms me. Like for instance, when you told me a while ago that you are mine. That feels unfamiliar to me and it worries me because I'm not sure if i will be able to return that to you." Looking anywhere but him, "I am not going to do this job for a long time. One day, I might leave you. I might hurt you in the end and i don't want to do that to you. Not to a very kind and loving person like you." When he tightly shut his eyes and let out an heavy sigh i suddenly stopped and glanced at him.

"To be honest, we shouldn't have reached this kind of intimacy." I added, as he opened his eyes and sternly looked at me. When he took a step forward, my breath immediately hitched as he cupped my face and leaned closer until the tips our noses almost touched. My insides tingled at the way he piercely stared at me.

"Don't say that." He whispered, his voice sounded depressed. 

"I'm not even finish yet." I said, looking at his mouth. "We shouldn't have done this. I shouldn't have kissed you back that night but i guess a part of me became selfish." I continued, gazing at him.  

"I want you." I muttered, removing his hands from my face. 

"I like you." I added, stepping away from him. 

When he attempted to step forward, i backed away and shook my head. "I could return your sweet kisses but i don't know if i could love you." I said, looking at his eyes that held a lot of emotions I couldn't explain. 

As we stood across each other, he became very silent but he kept his wary gaze on me. Around us, i could hear the birds chirping, trees rustling and feel the cool wind blowing making me smell his warm manly scent. 

"For seven years." He whispered in his husky voice. 

"For seven years i've never been in a relationship. I focused all my attention on Miyoung, my job and myself. Relationship never became my priority. It never even occur to me to be in one because i didn't think that was possible after all that grieving." He paused, wincing at the thought of it. 

"But you came after all these years and for the first time after a very long time i felt this inexplicable feeling." He run his fingers through his hair as he let out an heavy sighed. When he stared at me again, i felt guilty seeing the sadness on his face. 

"I'm happy when i see you showing kindness and care for Miyoung most especially when i'm not around because it makes me realize that you accept her and that's really important to me. I want you always around and i miss and think of you when you're not." 

Gritting his teeth, "I ing hate it when you reject me and when i feel like you're holding back just like what you are doing now. I am still in the process of determining what this feeling actually mean but you see, you've become important to me. So important that i decided to bring you here, in this very special place that holds a lot meaning in my life that i wish to tell you later." He paused.   

"So Bom, I can't let you go if that's what you are implying for. Sorry, but I am very selfish too."  

 

 

 

There will be a part 3 for this which will be posted soon. I decided to cut it because it's too long and i haven't finish it yet. :D Hope you'll enjoy this one. :) And i always forget to mention this but thank you all for the nice comments, voting up my story, and for subscribing. It Always makes motivated to write when i see you enjoy reading this. ^__^