Chapter 5

Cold as ice

BOM

It was exactly 7 in the morning when I reached the kwon’s house but up until now no one was opening the door for me. Standing in the doorstep, I had lost count of how many times I pushed the doorbell already. I tried to peek through the window glass but it was blocked by curtains.

“What are you doing?”

“Jesus!” I looked over my shoulder and saw Mr. Kwon leaning close to me with an obvious playful smile on his lips. “oh did I surprise you?” he asked, raising a brow. I faked a cough and tried to hide my amusement. Just by looking at him, he looked like he just came from his work out as he was dripping with sweat. “How long have you been waiting here?” he asked, motioning me to follow him. He took out the keys from his pocket and opened the front door. He let me enter first before closing the door. “Wake mi young up by 8.” He said. I looked at the wall clock and I still had 20 minutes left. “I’ll make breakfast for her.” I said, heading towards the kitchen. “Make coffee for me too bom and bring it to my room.” He responded as he walked up the stairs.

After cooking Mi young’s breakfast, I headed at Mr. Kwon’s room to bring his coffee. I knocked on the door despite that it was slightly opened. “Sir your coffee is here.” I said. “Come in.” he responded. As I made my way inside, I heard him talking to someone on the phone in the terrace. I was planning to place the coffee on the bedside table and just leave quietly when he suddenly appeared right behind me taking me by surprised with his half body.  “Thanks.” He said, grabbing his cup of coffee. Though he wasn’t that muscular I could say that he really had a well built body. I never liked a man with tattoos because it looked dirty but he was an exemption of it.

“Done checking me out?”

I snapped from my thoughts upon hearing him. He was grinning at me. “I-I’m leaving.” I stuttered. “wait—“ his hand landed on my shoulder, stopping me. I turned to look at him. “Give me your number.” He said, handling me his phone. I was reluctant at first, “So that I could call you when you’re with my daughter.” He explained noticing my expression. Without saying anything, I gave him my phone number. “I’m going to wake mi young now sir.” I said, leaving him.

It wasn’t hard to wake mi young up because when I got into her room, I saw her already sitting on her bed spacing out. She turned to look at me when she noticed me standing at the doorway. “Breakfast time kiddo.” I said, walking closer to her. When I stopped in front of her, she looked up at me. “Do I really have to see you every morning every day?” she asked, annoyed. She’s back to being the mean kid again I shrugged, “well, I guess so.” I paused. “Time to eat your breakfast your dad is probably waiting for you downstairs.”

JIYONG

“Dad remember last time I told you we have a play?”

I took a bite of my bread before nodding at mi young who was drinking her milk. “yes, honey. The one you said where you’ll be playing the role of a princess right? What about it?”

 “well, I need to buy a costume and I want you to accompany me.” she said, pouting.

“okay then.” I agreed immediately.  “I’ll pick you up at school later.” I continued. “Okay!” she responded, happily eating her foods. From the corner of my eye, I could see bom placing another plate of fresh cooked hotdogs and hams on our table. “you haven’t eaten yet right?” I asked, glancing up at her. I pointed at the vacant chair beside mi young, “sit.” I said. She looked at me quite taken aback then shook her head. “No sir, I’ve already had my breakfast.” She responded. “No, sit.” I insisted. “Dad she’s a maid why would you ask a maid to eat with us?!”

“what? Yah mi young that’s not nice.” I stared coldly at my daughter not liking what she said. “I’m sorry” I said, glancing at bom who looked like she wasn’t even affected.

 “I’m just telling the truth dad.”

“your daughter has a point sir.” Before I could even scold mi young Bom suddenly interrupted us. I sighed in frustration, “Park bom, sit down and eat.” I commanded. I noticed mi young was about to protest again but I immediately cut her, “and you young lady, we’re not done yet.” I said, warning her. She frowned and continuously ate her foods. I turned to look at bom who was still standing, “what are you doing? Sit.” I didn’t know why but I saw a hint of irritation on her face as she pulled a chair and sat down. We ate our breakfast silently until I noticed her, “eat” I said, seeing her just staring at her plate. “Mr. Kwon will you stop commanding me like I’m a dog?” she suddenly said, arching a brow at me. If there was one thing that I didn’t like about bom it would be her way of talking. But on the other hand, it was one thing that I also liked about her. I noticed that she was the kind of lady who speaks what’s in her mind. I smirked, “Ms. Park, just so you know I am your boss so you should follow me and besides, there’s a reason why I asked you to sit down and join us for breakfast. Unless you have a good reason why you’re only staring at your plate” I said.

“I have a good reason.” She blurted. I rested my chin on my hand quite amused by her. “tell me.” I said. Before bom could even speak mi young suddenly hopped out of the chair with a frown on her face “Mi young you haven’t—“

“I’m done eating dad. I’m done.” She said like she was talking to someone same age as her. Since I didn’t want to get angry, I decided to let her go this time before finally settling my eyes to the woman across me. “so what’s your good reason?” I asked, interestedly.

“I was just….just…” she trailed.  

“Just what Bom?”

“I was just thinking whether to eat the hotdog first or the ham okay?”

Dumbfounded and unable to speak, I stared at Bom for a moment before finally exploding with laughter. She gave me the what-the-hell-is-funny look before I finally managed to speak, “you were thinking of that?” I asked, bewildered. She nodded, “And you suddenly distracted me by telling me to eat.” She said, placing rice on her plate followed by a ham. “Can I make myself a coffee too?” she asked, taking me by surprised. “And just when I thought you already had your breakfast.” I said, raising a brow at her. “I already did. But you were too persistent.” She said., shoving a spoonful of rice in . Leaving me in wonder, I think for the first time I saw something new about her. She was always silent and never talks a lot, always serious but who knew she had this side of her. she’s pretty cute

 “Are you just going to stare at me like that and not eat?” I didn’t notice I was really staring at her when I heard her breathy voice. I faked a cough, “You were staring at my body too earlier.” She suddenly choked spilling some rice from . “what?!” she scowled. I think I just saw her cheeks blushed a bit. “Mr. Kwon don’t—“

“Will you please stop calling me Mr. Kwon or sir?” I said, interrupting her. “Just call me….” I paused. “Handsome” I said, wriggling my brow. I thought she was gonna laugh but she stared blankly at me putting me in such an awkward position. I faked a cough, “I mean just call me Ji yong.” I said, embarrassed. “Okay, Ji yong.” She responded, nodding.  “Anyway, you said earlier that there’s a reason why you asked me to join you for breakfast.” She said. Right, I almost forgot about that. “Well, I have some rules in my house that you need to follow.” I said. I took a sipped first from my coffee before finally staring at her.

“okay.”

“Don’t go into my room without my consent and don’t touch my things.”

She nodded, “And?”

“That’s all.” I said, smiling. “o-okay.” She shrugged. I noticed curiosity arising on her but she didn’t dare to ask me about it. I wouldn’t even tell it to her.

“Am I going to school too and wait for mi young until she finishes her classes?” she asked.

“Not necessarily. But you can if you want although I don’t think you will like the idea of sitting there in the benches for like 6 hours straight while waiting for her.”

“I think instead of waiting there for her, I’ll just clean the house while she’s gone then pick her up right after her class.”

“Yeah, I think that’s a good idea.” I smiled. The two of us ate in silence for a moment before finally trying to make a conversation with her. “So . . .  what do you do aside from being a nanny?” I asked, suddenly curious.

“Nothing.” She said, casually.

“Are you saying you have a boring life?” I asked, trying to .

“If that’s how you see it.” she responded.

“What does your parents do for a living?”

“Why are you suddenly so curious about me Ji yong?” she said, scrutinizing me carefully. As much as I found her big brown eyes pretty, I think the way she called my name with her breathy voice sounded good. I actually liked it. “Being your boss, I think it’s just right for me to know a little bit of your background Bom.”

“Then you should have asked me about it the first time I met you for the interview.” She said, arching a brow. I sighed, defeated by her “You always make my conversations with you so difficult.”

BOM

Surprisingly, eating with Ji yong in this dead silence didn’t make me feel awkward at all. In fact, I was enjoying the breakfast I made while sharing the same table with him—my boss. In my mind, i was thinking of Mi young who was probably in her room sulking or maybe planning something again for me. That kid, I think she actually reminded me of myself in some ways.

 “what are you thinking?” I looked up from my almost empty plate and glanced at Ji yong. “You wouldn’t want to know.” I responded.

“I’m curious.”

We held our gazes for a moment and I suddenly realized that I never really noticed how good looking he was. His blonde hair, brown eyes, pointed nose and red lips made him look like he was some kind of a famous Korean celebrity. I faked a cough realizing I was staring at him for too long. “You’re daughter she’s a bit possessive of you.” I said, wanting him to open a topic about his wife. Ji yong giggled and shook his head, “Yeah, you’re right. It’s because she grew up without her mom.” That’s right he’s opening up

“Her mom? What happened to her?” I asked. A hint of sadness plastered on his face. He looked like he was lost in his deep thoughts.

“She passed away.” he said, not looking at me.

“why?” I knew I shouldn’t have asked about that but something inside of me wanted to know that part. I wanted to know him.

“Why are you suddenly so curious about me bom?” he smirked, mimicking what I said earlier. I think I was lost for words when he smiled widely at me. I knew behind those smiles he was sad I could clearly see it through his eyes. “Mi young’s gonna be late for school we need to hurry up and prepare.” He said, immediately leaving his seat.

He doesn’t want to talk about his wife bom

 

I spent the entire day alone in the house cleaning everything without Mi young pestering me. I started first to clean the kitchen, followed by the dining room, the bathroom, living room, mi young’s bedroom, then the study area where Ji yong usually do his work. I skipped Ji yong’s bedroom like what he told me earlier and instead I just went to the backyard to water the plants and keep mi young’s toys that were scattered all over the place. There was a swimming pool in the backyard too and I cleaned it by taking out the leaves and dirt that fell from the plants. By the time I was done, it was almost 4 in the afternoon. I walked back to the house and flopped myself on the soft couch. I didn’t know I was this tired and exhausted when I felt my eyelids getting heavier making it hard for me to stay awake and suddenly it almost gave me a heart when my phone started to ring. I looked at the caller and it was Ji yong.

“hello?”

“Bom I need you to come here in the hotel.” He said.

“Aren’t you suppose to be in the mall with mi young?” I asked, curious.

“I’m still working for an advertisement and I’m not done yet. Could you go here first in the hotel and accompany my daughter in the mall?” he asked. 

“I know for a fact Ji yong that you’re aware about your daughter liking me so much.” I said, sarcastically. I heard him chuckled on the other line “I know that bom and will you please hurry up? let’s talk about that once you get here.” he said, hanging up on me.

JIYONG

“Who are you talking to?”

I looked at Dara who was having her make-up done by her make-up artist. “Just someone.” I said. “you look happy talking to that someone ji yong.” She teased. I chuckled at the thought of it before I immediately changed the topic. “Anyway, I really apologize if the shooting for this commercial got delayed. I heard the director had some technical difficulties.” I explained.

“It’s okay. I’m not really in a hurry and besides it happens.” She said, smiling at me. Once she was done with her make-up Dara stood up from her seat wearing her white mini dress. She took a step towards me hesitantly trying to say something. “Ji yong-ah.” She said. I wondered what was wrong. “I’m sorry.” She continued, taking me by surprise.

“Why? What’s wrong? Why are you sorry?” I asked, confused.

“You see remember last time when we ate together I mentioned your wife and I’m so sorry I didn’t know that she – she”

“she passed away.” I continued, my eyes not leaving her. I saw guilt on her face and I just tapped her head. “it’s okay. it doesn’t bother me at all.” I said. She looked up at me before she smiled, “thanks and I’m really sorry. I’m just too dumb not to know that.” she pouted. “Anyway, do you want to eat with me after the shooting? I’ll treat you.” she invited. Even though I wanted to, I couldn’t because mi young was in the penthouse suite probably waiting for me to finish my work and besides I was still waiting for bom to arrive. “I’m sorry but my daughter is waiting for me.” I said. Dara smiled delightedly at me, “What?! you’re daughter is here? can I see her? please? huh ji yong?” with the way she acted cute at me there was no way I could disagree with her and with that, I nodded my head. “sure.”

BOM

I was in the elevator already together with a man named Seungri who told me that Ji yong sent him to pick me up from the lobby. We were standing side by side and I could feel him intentionally staring at me. “What are you looking at?” I glanced, surprising him.

“Are you single bom?” he asked, with a trying hard seductive smile on his face.

“No, I’m not.” I snorted. How could he even randomly ask that question to a person he doesn’t even know. He’s a player

“It’s okay, your boyfriend will not know.”

I scowled at what he said before he bursted out laughing. “Yah! are we close enough for you to joke with me?!” I yelled, raising a brow. Seunrgi stopped then bowed politely at me. The elevator finally opened and I stepped out but he remained inside. “You already know where the penthouse suite is right? Just go there.” he said, without much interest. I looked back and nodded.

“I know you’re single because no man will actually like you with the way you look and act.” He added. If I was the type of woman who would get easily insulted by that, I would have dragged him out of the elevator and punch his panda looking face to the point that it would be barely recognizable. But I was not. Instead, I just stared blankly at him as he frantically pressed the button looking so afraid. I remember rolling my eyes at him before the elevator door closed.

I opened the door to the suite and I saw mi young sleeping on the floor with a color pen on her hand. “it looks like she accidentally slept while playing.” I crouched down and didn’t try to wake her up. She looked exhausted and her white uniform was filled with dirt and spills of chocolates. I carefully carry her on my arms as I walked towards the bed and lay her down. I looked inside the closet just in case there were some extra clothes for her. I picked up a pink sleeveless blouse and a white short for her to be comfortable in her sleep. In the bathroom, I soaked a white towel and brought it back to the bedroom. I sat at the edge of the bed and dabbed the towel on her face and hands making sure it was clean. Afterwards, I pulled out her shoes followed by her socks then ed her dress. I had a mini heart attack when she flinched a bit but luckily, that didn’t wake her up. After dressing her comfortably, I arranged the pillows behind her then tucked her inside the blanket. I smiled seeing her sleeping peacefully.

While I was waiting for Ji yong, I immersed myself in watching the Korean drama Boys over flowers. It was the last episode already and even though it was just a drama I could feel myself being so absorbed watching it. “That ugly why is she taking advantage of his memory loss?!” I hissed. For the entire show I kept my eyes glued on the TV and by the time it reached to the pool scene where Geum Jandi threw the necklace and herself into the pool leaving jun pyo totally surprised, I felt tears streaming down on my face. I immediately wiped my cheeks with the back of my hands but the scene and the background music make it hard for me. “Jun pyo why are you just staring at her? she needs help.” I mumbled sobbing quietly. 

Even before I could wiped my tears, a hand holding a box of tissue appeared behind me. I looked over my shoulder and saw Ji yong laughing manically at me. i immediately stood up from the couch and walked away as I wiped the tears but he quickly appeared it front of me blocking my way. “I can’t believe you’re crying over that drama.” he teased. I tried to get away from him as I looked down to hide the tears and snot on my face but he was being persistent. “Stop it! I’m not crying!” I hissed, snatching the box of tissue from his hand. I turned my back and blew my nose on the tissue. I could still hear ji yong laughing at me as he walked in front of me again. “stop lying, I saw it all.” He grinned, leaning close to me. So close that I could feel his breath and butterflies on my stomach. “Stop joking!” I said, pushing him. I shook my head erasing the uneasy feeling. You’re watching too much drama bom

I sat on the couch and Ji yong followed me too, he sat across me and he was still grinning like a little kid. “My god Ji yong will you stop it!?” I groaned, rolling my eyes. I crossed my arms over my chest and looked at another direction I couldn’t look at him because I just couldn’t stand it.  “You look like Rudolph the red nose reindeer.” He teased. “Just admit it to me bom.” he added.  I was planning to ignore him when I didn’t say a single word but to my surprise he didn’t stop annoying me. “Admit it bom you cried, you cried, you cried, you cried, you cried. . . “ For goodness sake, he was like a loud siren that was going over and over again. 

“Fine! I cried okay!? I cried!”  I yelled.

 Then he stopped grinning, face leaning close to mine.

“I didn’t know you can be this cute bom-ah.”

I gulped nervously as I stared at him, “cu-cute?! What am I? a dog!?” I exclaimed, as I immediately pushed him and stood up from the couch. As I walked towards the bathroom, the words he said to me kept on repeating in my head.

JIYONG

After checking if mi young was still sleeping, I went out of the balcony with a smile plastered on my face. The fresh air blowing was so refreshing and I find myself drifting back to what happened earlier. Up until now I still couldn’t forget that image of bom taking care of my daughter. I was just standing in the doorway at that time about to meet my daughter when I noticed bom was cleaning her with a white towel. I watched her carefully changing my daughter’s clothes and trying her best not to wake her up. I thought it was sweet although I knew most of mi young’s previous nannies had already done that. I was about to leave them alone at that time when I caught a glimpse of her smiling.  For the first time, I think I found her really pretty and I had to admit I was a bit attracted to her. I remember just standing in the doorway just looking at her wondering why she doesn’t always do that. And today, I think I’ve witnessed different sides of her. The smiling bom and the crying bom. I chuckled upon remembering another scene I saw earlier. I just got back from the suite again at that time when I noticed her watching TV. She was too immersed watching that she didn’t even heard my footsteps. I was just about to talk to her when she surprised me with her “damn you and your curly hair!” yelled. I tried not to laugh and to my surprised as I walked closer to her I heard her crying. I was confused and at the same time worried about what was to happening to her before I finally looked at the tv screen and saw Jandi was drowning herself in the pool. I chuckled, quite stunned by her.

“So she has this soft side too.” I muttered,

“ehem.” I was interrupted from my thoughts when I heard bom. She was back to being normal now. No sign of smiles or tears just a plain blank face. “Mi young is already awake.” She said, avoiding eye contacts with me. I nodded, staring at her.

“Since you’re already here that means there’s no need for me to accompany mi young at the mall right?” she asked. And I nodded again. “Then can I already leave?”

“No.” i said. She frowned, looking on the floor. “why?” 

“Can you please tell me why you’re not looking straight at me?” I asked, raising a brow.

“It’s habit.” She said. I chuckled. “Then does crying just because of a drama is your habit too?”

this time bom looked up at me with a total annoyance on her face. She looked like a defenseless little kid when she was angry. “just asking.” I shrugged, turning my back against her. “Clean first before you go home. I have a guest coming over here.” I commanded.

BOM

Once I stepped out of the hotel, I felt like I could breathe again after all the things that happened earlier. Of all people who could see me crying just because of that drama why is it Ji yong? That man who knew nothing but teased me about it the whole time I was cleaning. I let out a sighed as I walked down the street. I tried to empty my mind but his smiling face just kept on popping in my head, his voice when he said: I didn’t know you can be this cute bom-ah made me to feel this weird tingling feeling in my stomach. I shook my head trying to forget it.

While I was walking down the street, I noticed that I wasn’t carrying with me my sling bag and realized I left it on the bed. “This is because of you Ji yong!” I groaned as I marched my way back to the hotel. Good thing I wasn’t that far when I realized I forgot my bag. As soon as the elevator opened, i walked towards the suite but abruptly stopped when I saw a familiar woman knocking on Ji yong’s door. My eyes widened in disbelief as I watched her entered inside his room.  Clean first before you go home. I have a guest coming over here. I remembered Ji yong’s words. “she’s the guest?” I whispered, surprised.

 

 “Just what the hell are you doing here Dara.”