Chapter 6

Cold as ice

BOM

“Look where you’re going lady!” yelled the man I accidentally bumped while walking in the street. I didn’t pay attention to him and just continued walking even if I knew I spilled some coffee on his coat. There were so many things that were going around in my head that I didn’t have time to think of that man’s concern.

“Sandara Park. . . . Kwon Ji yong” I muttered under my breath. I could feel my head aching just by thinking of them. A lot of unanswered questions were playing in my thoughts as I remembered seeing her in the hotel. What is she doing there? what is their relationship? How did Ji yong knew Dara? Because of this unexpected event, I wasn’t able to retrieve my bag and I ended up walking my way home. Walking at this time wasn’t bad at all since it was already evening and the air was slightly cold making me feel a little bit relaxed.

For the past three years after I left home, I never ever thought of Dara. When I left Jeju, I had already decided to forget everything there. I didn’t even thought of going back to the life that was already planned for me and the life that once hurt me. Seeing Dara made me remembered everything that was in the past and up until now I could still feel the hatred deep in my heart.

When I reached home, I noticed a pile of box outside next to my apartment. “Is there a new tenant?” I wondered. I walked closer to the boxes and took a peek. I noticed clothes and some other things inside of it. “May I help you?” I immediately looked over my shoulder and saw a man standing behind me. I quickly stepped back and shyly bowed at him.

“I didn’t mean to—“

“Are you my neighbor?” he asked, cutting me off. Despite that his Mohawk hair and muscular body made him look a bit scary, his eye smile was really beautiful and he seemed to be quite friendly.

“I live right here.” I said, pointing at the door next to him. “I-i should go now.” I added.

“what’s your name?” he asked.

“Bom. Park bom.”

“Bom?” he looked like he was unable to understand something when I said my name.

“Is there something wrong?” I asked.

“No-no, of course not.” He smiled, shaking his head. “It’s a beautiful name. Spring right?”

 “I am Yongbae.” He responded, shaking hands with me.  

For a moment we both awkwardly stood across each other shaking hands as we ran out of something to say. After a second, I took the initiative to let go of his hand and leave. I walked a few steps before I reached my front door. I fumbled through my pockets for my keys but I couldn’t find it. It was too late for me when I realized that I left it inside my bag together with my wallet and cell phone.

“Is there something wrong?” Yongbae must have noticed the bothered look in my face when he approached me. He looked at me then moved his gaze to my hand that was holding the knob. “did you lost your keys?” he asked, worried.

“I accidentally left it.” I sighed.

“wait a minute”

Before I could even ask him, he suddenly began rummaging through the pile of box. I was wondering what he was looking for until I noticed him pulled out a sharp knife. I moved back when he came closer and knelt in front of the door. He pushed the knife on the door lock between the door and the wall. He moved it left and right until after a few seconds I heard a clicking sound. He turned the knob and the door was already unlocked. “Here you go.” He said, opening the door for me. I was quite impressed by him seeing how manly and gentleman he was. Before I closed the door, I remember smiling at him as he stared at me with his smiling eyes.

JIYONG

“This painting is so beautiful.” I handed Dara a glass of wine before I glanced at the wall painting she was staring at for quite a long time.

 “I bought that in an auction at Italy 3 years ago.” I said. She turned and looked at me.

 “You have great taste.” She smiled. The painting was actually a portrait of a pregnant mother sitting on a rocking chair. “Do you like collecting art pieces like this?” she asked with enthusiasm. “No, not really.” I shrugged. “I just like that serene smile of that mother’s face while caressing her womb. Do all mothers look like that?” I said, eyeing the painting.

“I don’t know. I don’t have a mother.” The depressing tone in her voice made me look at Dara. I guessed she noticed in my eyes the curiosity arising on me as she began telling me stories.

 “My mother died when I was 5 years old. She saved me from a car accident.” 

“car accident?”

“I was playing in the playground at that time when I noticed a fluffy cat crossing the street. Without my mom knowing, I quickly ran and chased the cat and the next thing I know was mom was crying and screaming my name. I couldn’t remember what happened afterwards because I was unconscious. Probably because I hit my head on the ground when mom pushed me away from the car that was supposed to hit me.”

Dara and I remained quiet as we stared at the wall painting in front of us. I was speechless and I didn’t know what to say after hearing that painful story. “What are you thinking?” she asked, breaking the ice.

“You.” I looked at her and she smiled.

“me? what about me?”

“you must have been in a state of shock during that time. You were just 5 and you witnessed something that was incredibly painful. I could imagine you crying in your sleep and looking for your mom.”

“I cried a lot during that time but it didn’t last long because my dad was with me. He was with me all the time trying to console me.” she trailed. “At that time, my sister was in the States. She was living there together with our Aunt and by the time—“

“Wait. You have a sister?” I asked, surprised. For all I knew, Dara was the only daughter of Park Ji hoon I didn’t have any idea that she had a sister. She noticed the surprised in my face and started to laugh a little. “It’s a family secret.” She said, placing a finger on her lips.

“Family secret?”

“I am the youngest in my family. My eldest sister was supposed to inherit the company that’s why at such a young age she lived in the US. I was five when our mother died and she was 8. We were closed before the accident happened but by the time she knew what happened; she came back to Korea with our Aunt. From then on, she changed.”

“You said your sister was supposed to inherit your company right? Why is that—“

“By the time we grew up, she ran away.”  I noticed Dara touched her star necklace after saying those words. There were too many revelations in the Park’s family and I wondered how they managed to keep all those secrets. Especially about Dara’s sister.

“why did she ran a—“

“Who are you?” I was about to ask dara something when mi young suddenly came out of nowhere. She was glaring at Dara who on the other hand, was happy to see her.

“Oh my God! is this your daughter?” she squealed in delight. Dara tried to pinch her cheeks but mi young shove her hands away. “I don’t like you!” she yelled. Mi young ran towards me and hugged my right leg.

“dad who is she? Why are you bringing another annoying lady here? Bom is enough!” she whined.

Bom is enough?  I couldn’t help but laughed at Mi young. “Mi young-ah, she is my friend. Her name is Sandara Park.” I said, looking at dara. She smiled at me then to mi young.

“Mi young-ah, do you want chocolates? I have lots of chocolates here.” suddenly, Dara began rummaging through her bag. She pulled out a box of chocolates. I glanced back at Mi young and to my surprise, she seemed interested with the chocolates. Dara kept on teasing her with it until my daughter finally accepted it.

“I don’t like you but I like chocolates.” She said, as she grabbed the chocolates from her. We laughed together as we watched mi young squealed and ran back to the bedroom.

“It’s a good thing you have chocolates there.” I said.

“What do you mean good thing? I really bought that chocolates for her you know.” she grinned.

“Really? Thanks.” I said, amused by her.

“By the way, who is bom?”

My attention was caught when she suddenly mentioned Bom. She probably got curious of her because of Mi young. “She’s my daughter’s nanny. She’s actually here earlier.”

“Ah I see.” She said, nodding. I think I just saw dara let out a sigh of relief.

“can I ask you something?”

“sure” I shrugged.

“have you ever thought of dating again?”

It took me a while before I finally managed to speak again. Her question was very unexpected.

“Of course but I just don’t like to date.” I said.

“Why?”

“I’m not interested.”

Truthfully, I really don’t know. Ever since my wife died, I never imagined myself being with another woman or loving other woman again. I tried to date before but I realized that what I wanted was someone who could love me and my daughter as well. Someone who could make my heart beat faster.

BOM

As I poured hot water into the noodle cup, I was thinking whether I would say to uncle Psy that I saw Dara tonight. He was inside my apartment sitting on the floor waiting for the noodles.

“ouch!” I hissed, as I accidentally spilled water on my hand.

“Yah are you okay? Be careful.” Uncle said. I carried the noodle cups on the mini table and sat down on the floor. Uncle looked like he was really starving as he opened and closed the lid checking whether it was already cooked or not. “how’s your work today?” he asked, trying to make a conversation with me.

“It’s fine.”

He nodded and smiled contentedly, “That’s good. Just don’t make any mistakes again and you will be fine. Anyway, it seems like someone rented the apartment next to this room. Have you seen the tenant?”

“Yeah. He’s Yongbae.”

“woah! You already know his name?!” he exclaimed. “Does that guy like you?” he asked, worriedly.  “Yah don’t trust him okay? I heard a lot of people nowadays appear to be good only in the beginning until they get what they wanted.”

“Uncle you’re overreacting. He just helped me to open the door earlier.” I explained.

“Yah don’t take his side. Just don’t trust him.” he responded.

By the time the noodles were already cooked, uncle and I just ate silently. I was still having second thoughts whether to say or not about Dara. I glanced at him and he seemed to enjoy the noodles. “Uncle.” I said. he didn’t respond and just continued eating.

“I saw Dara.”

Uncle choked on his noodles as he looked at me bewildered, “wha-what!?”

I passed him a glass of water and let him drink it first before continuing. “I saw her.”

His eyes widened and he looked speechless. “where? When? Did she saw you too? How did it happened?”

“I saw her at the hotel and no, she didn’t see me.”

“what is she doing there?”

“I don’t know.” I shrugged. “maybe that’s where she is staying and it seems like she knows my boss very well.”

“What do you mean?”

“before I left the suite earlier, Ji yong asked me to clean first because there will be a guest.”

“and his guest was Dara?” uncle asked.

I nodded. Although I felt like I lost my appetite already, I still ate my noodles trying to act like I wasn’t even bothered. “Bom do you think Ji yong already knew about you?” he asked. I could sense the seriousness of his voice.

“I don’t know.” I paused. “But that’s impossible uncle.” I added.

“but that’s possible too. What would you do if you and dara meet?”

“I don’t worry about meeting her.” I responded.

“She’s stubborn. She might tell it to your dad.”

“Uncle I already have my own life. I’ve already cut my ties with them 3 years ago.”

“But that doesn’t mean they don’t care about you especially your dad.”

I put down my noodle cup and glanced at uncle. “Since when did they start to care about me?” I asked, raising a brow.  “My dad just sees me as a robot that wants to follow his will. He was never there for me uncle. Never. He destroyed my life and he took away everything that I have even the person that I loved the most.” My voice cracked at the end of my words. Even uncle was taken aback upon seeing the tears building up in my eyes.

“So what are you planning to do now? Ji yong and Dara seems to know each other very well.”

“I’ll just earn money until we paid our debt and then afterwards I’ll resign.”

JIYONG

After shopping with Mi young and Dara at the mall, we headed to the restaurant planning to have our dinner. As we were sitting on the table, I could feel the stares of the people around us making me feel a bit uncomfortable.

“uhm excuse me.” A woman holding a camera suddenly approached dara.

“yes?” Dara smiled.

“Uhm I’m a fan of yours can I take a picture with you please?” the woman asked politely. I gazed at Dara and she immediately agreed. She stood up beside the woman and took pictures. Noticing they were having a hard time holding the camera, I stood up and represent myself to take their pictures for them.

“Thank you.” she said.

“welcome.” I said. By the time i finished taking pictures for them the woman bowed politely thanking me once again. Dara and I went back to our seats and looked at the menu book.

“what do you want to eat ladies?” I asked, turning to look at Dara then to Mi young.

“I want to go home.” Mi young responded, pouting. Ever since we left the hotel to go shopping with Dara, Mi young had been acting so moody. She was the one who kept on pestering me to buy her a princess costume but when we got to the store she didn’t even showed any interest in all of the princess clothes displayed. She kept on rejecting what dara had chosen for her and just bought the pink princess costume she personally picked.

“Alright we will go home but we need to eat first okay? Dad is already hungry mi young-ah” I said, caressing her cheeks. She didn’t say anything and just sulk at me. I sighed and then turned my attention to Dara who was also checking the menu book. “what do you want to eat Dara?” I asked.

“It seems like your daughter wants to go home already. Should we just go home?” she asked, concerned.

“No, we are already here. We have to eat first.” I said. “Pick your order already.” I added.

Dara nodded hesitantly before taking a look at the menu book “You’ve already treat me before so I think It’s my turn to treat you now Ji yong.” She said.

“No, It’s my treat.”

“But Ji yong—“

“Don’t worry about it and just choose whatever you like. It’s my treat.”

I glanced at Dara curiously when she suddenly chuckled. “what’s funny?” I asked.

She shook her head trying to hide her smile. “nothing. It’s just that the way you talk is…” she trailed.

“is what?” I asked, curiously.

“so bossy.” She said, giggling.

I smirked as I remembered something that happened from the past. That time when I kept on insisting to bring bom to the hospital because of her injured ankle.

You’re acting so bossy and you think that’s cool?!

“I know.” I admitted. “Someone already said that to me before.” I chuckled, eyeing Dara. She suddenly looked interested and asked me who it was.

“who?”

“Park Bom”

“the nanny?”

I nodded. “You allow a nanny to say that to you?” she asked, looking astonished.

“Well, she wasn’t a nanny back then. And besides, she’s just the same age as me and so I treat her more like a friend than a nanny.” I explained. Thinking about it, among the nannies that worked for me, Bom was the first person I felt comfortable with. And when I say comfortable, I mean it in a way that I didn’t mind her sitting and eating breakfast with me nor talking to me in a friendly manner. She was just that type of woman.

BOM

I was wearing nothing but a towel wrapped around my body when I suddenly heard a knock coming from the door. I was wondering who it was since it was just 5:30 in the morning and there was no way uncle would go here that early. “Is it uncle?” I muttered, giving my thought a little consideration. I slid on my white shirt and jeans before going to open the door.

“Uncle?”

“Long time no see.”

I froze in my position as I stared at the familiar man I had seen before. A smell of Alcohol and cigarettes greeted me by the time he opened his mouth.

“What the hell are you doing here?” I asked, glaring at him. It was one of the loan sharks who came before that caused trouble.

“Nothing, I just want to see my soon to be slave” He said, trying to come closer to me. I pushed the door slightly so he couldn’t enter my apartment but he was too strong. He pushed the door and entered in my apartment. I could feel the pressure of his hands as he both grabbed my arms tightly making me winced in pain.

“What do you want!? Didn’t I tell you to stop coming here?!” I yelled angrily. I was getting scared of what he could possibly do to me because he looked so drunk and seemed like he wasn’t in his right mind. A devilish smile covered his face as he whispered in my ears.

“I. Want. You.”

“You ert!” I tried to get away from his grip but he held me tight. “Shut up!” he shouted, pushing me on the floor. I crawled away from him when he closed and locked the door behind him. I was shaking in fear when I noticed him walking closer to me while removing his belt.

“wha-what are you doing?” i asked, bewildered.

“I’m going to teach you a lesson.” He slurred, totally drunk.

“Don’t you dare come near me!” I warned, grabbing the metal scissor on the floor pointing it at him.

“Are you kidding me?” He chuckled not even affected by me. Grabbing my wrist tightly, he snatched and threw away the scissor.

“Do you want to pay your uncle’s debt?” he asked, standing across me. I gulped nervously as I glanced up at him. “I can make your life easy and your worries disappear if you just give me what I want.”

“And you think I would let you do that?” I smirked.

 Anger covered his face as he bent and forcefully scoop me up from the floor. Grabbing me by shoulder, he pulled me closer to him that I felt disgusted by his smell. “We’re alone in this room.” He smirked, sniffing my scent. “And you obviously just got out from the bath” he added eyeing my drippy hair. Before he could even do something on me, I spat on his face and pushed him making him to lose balance. When he fell on the floor I immediately ran towards the door trying to open it with my shaky hands.

“!”

I felt a hand pulled my hair from the back as I screamed in pain.

“let me go !” I yelled.

I tried to get away from him but he pinned me on the wall. His one hand covering my mouth preventing me from screaming. Help!  I yelled internally.

“Stop running away lady.” He whispered. I felt his broad body pressed against mine and I couldn’t do anything to defend myself. I tried to push him but he was too strong. I was hopeless and all I could do was cry as he slowly left trails of disgusting kisses down to my neck while his rough hand travelled to my upper body ripping my shirt.

“please don’t..” I cried.

“Shhh.. be silent this will be quick.” He grinned devilishly as he quickly ed my jeans forcefully laying me down on the floor. “No stop please!” I screamed. I could feel his heavy weight on top me as I struggled beneath him. He looked like a hungry tiger who couldn’t wait to eat his prey.

“Ple-please.” I begged.

“Shut up you—“

Before he could even slap me, A loud bang suddenly came out of nowhere. “Bom!” a familiar voice came towards us and in an instant I saw the man on top of mine rolled on the floor with blood on his lips. I immediately sat up and pulled my pants up before I crawled and leaned against the wall. I curled up in a ball as I watched Yongbae throwing punches and kicks to the man.

“Who are you!?” he yelled, angrily. He grabbed him by collar and punched him.

“please don’t kill me!” I heard the man yelled.

“What do you want from her!? answer me!”

Before the man could even answer Yongbae threw a numerous punch on his face. I was scared. But seeing Yongbae’s face, I was more scared of what he could possibly do to that man. The man was already covered with blood and was defenseless begging him for his life.

“Stop!” It took me a while to realize that I was already hugging yongbae from behind. His fist was in mid-air about to punch the bloody man and the other was holding him by collar.

 “Stop don’t kill him!” I yelled.

I could feel his body tensed with anger. “Yongbae please don’t.” I said. When I felt his body softened and when he didn’t continue to punch, I slowly let go of him and fell on my knee.

“Are you okay?” he asked. I nodded and as i gazed up at him I noticed that the Yongbae I talked to last night wasn’t there anymore. He seemed like a different person and all I could see was anger and frustration plastered on his face. He turned his attention to the man again who was obviously beaten up and unconscious. I watched him dialed a number on his phone. I assumed it was a police and after talking on the other line, Yongbae looked at my direction.

“bom you…” His eyes widened and he immediately looked away. I looked down and noticed that I my shirt was all ripped up revealing my bare chest. “Use this.” he said, throwing me a towel.

I smiled warmly and covered myself with it. “Thank you.” I muttered. He looked at me still frustrated. “who is he?” he asked.

“He’s one of the loan sharks. Uncle and I owe a debt to them and we have to pay them after 3 months. But before that, I told them to never come here.”

“but why is he here?” he asked.

I shrugged, “I don’t know. He’s drunk and seems not to be in his right mind.” I said. I closed my eyes trying not to remember the scary scene and I couldn’t help but feel tears welled up in my eyes. Good thing, the police already arrived and yongbae didn’t see me crying.

Don’t let him see your weak side bom.

By the time the police left with the man, yongbae and I was left in my apartment alone. I was still sitting on the floor looking in a dazed. I tried to act as normal as possible but honestly, I could still feel myself getting a bit paranoid and scared. What if another loan shark will come here and do the same thing?

“What do you think?”

I snapped out from my thoughts when I heard yongbae. He seemed to be asking me question but I wasn’t sure what it was. “what did you say?” I asked. He was crouching down on the floor eyeing me.

“I mean, if you want you can stay in my apartment later tonight. Just to make sure.” He said. I was quite taken aback by him. Offering me to stay in his apartment was a bit too much especially by the fact that we really didn’t know each other very well and if uncle find it out, I was pretty sure that he would kill me.

“No. I’m fine.” I said.

“But—“

“You’re living next to my apartment you can always come.”

“But what if the guy—“

“he’s in the hands of the police.”  I said, although I still feel a bit nervous about it.

“Yongbae.” I paused, taking a glance at him. “’Thank you.” I said, smiling. The words that I usually didn’t say naturally came out from my mouth and it felt good.

“Don’t thank me bom I just did that because it is the right thing to do” he paused, looking quite disturbed by something. 

“You’re good at fighting”

 “I-It’s because I learned taekwondo before” he said, rubbing the back of his neck. I noticed him avoiding my eyes but I guess he was just shy.  

“no wonder.” I wrapped my arms around legs and rested my chin on my knees.

“Why are you living here alone? where’s your parents?” The question suddenly caught me off guard and I think he noticed the flustered look on my face. It took me a second before I answered him.

 “They are dead.” I said, firmly.

And before he could throw me another question I interrupted him. “and why are you living here?” I asked, curiously. He shrugged and looked at me straight in the eye.

 “to work.”

“What is your work?”

“I haven’t found a job yet.” He said. I nodded and didn’t say a word to him again. I was wondering what kind of job he was looking for but I didn’t dare to ask him again worried that he would think of me as a nosy person.

As we fell into a deep silent again, I couldn’t shake off the fear and Anxiety building up on me. I was still scared and I was just trying to not let myself break down at any moment. I didn’t want Yongbae to worry about me again he was a good friend and he saved my life.

“Don’t worry, I’ll protect you.”

As if he knew what I was thinking, he uttered those promising words and truthfully it made me feel a bit better.

JIYONG

“Dad where is bom?” I could see mi young’s little figure from the mirror as I fixed my neck tie around my neck. I glanced at the wall clock and it was 9 in the morning already. Bom was never late and I wondered what was taking her so long. Right after I jogged earlier, I expected her to be waiting outside the house just like what she used to do but I came and I didn’t saw her. I even walked around outside the house just in case she was peeking through the window again but she wasn’t there. I thought she would be late for just half an hour but two hours had already passed.

“I don’t know honey. Maybe she’s not coming today.” I said, turning to look at mi young. He was sitting at the edge of my bed watching me as I put on my suit.

“Why?”

“I don’t know.” suddenly a thought came to my mind. “Mi young-ah, you didn’t do anything wrong to your nanny again right?” I asked, scrutinizing her carefully.

“Of course not dad!” she scowled. I chuckled and kissed her forehead.

“Is she really not coming?” she asked.

“And why are you looking for her?”

“I don’t have a toy.” She grinned.

“sweetie, Bom is not a toy okay? and you call her unnie.” I said.

After putting some clothes, Mi young and I went outside to have our breakfast. I drove the car to the nearest fast food chain in her school and had our meal there. Fast food wasn’t a good choice for breakfast but since bom didn’t come and we were already running out of late, we had to eat there first.

“see you later dad!” mi young kissed me on my cheeks before she headed inside the school accompanied by her teacher. I waited for her to vanish from my sight before I finally settled back inside the car. In the middle of starting the engine, my phone suddenly rang. I answered it immediately and put it on a loud speaker mode so that I could drive.

“Yah! what’s taking you so long to answer my call?!” I chuckled upon hearing the voice of a middle aged woman.

“mom don’t be so exaggerated I answered your call on the second ring.” I said, smiling.

“Yah It should be on the first ring!” she protested. My mom could be very demanding sometimes and I think i inherited that from her.

 “what’s with the sudden call? I thought you are travelling somewhere in this world? You usually never called me first mom” I asked, turning the steering wheel to the left.

“Your dad and I are here in the hotel waiting for you.”

“what? why are you there? you should have come directly to my house.”

“what’s wrong with us being here Ji yong-ah? Can’t your parents come and visit you in your work after almost a year?! Are you embarrassed of us?!” I let out a sighed upon hearing my mom getting so dramatic again. She was like that every time I talk and see her.

“Of course not, it’s just that it’s very far from your home and you might get tired.” I explained. From an overly dramatic tone, her voice changed into a bright one.

“Aigoo! you’re so sweet just like your father.” She giggled like a woman in her twenties. I could hear dad telling her to hung up already because she was embarrassing him. But being the boss, mom didn’t follow him and instructed him to just be quiet.

“Anyway, I need you to come quickly here Ji yong-ah. I miss you so much and I want to see my granddaughter.” With that, my mom hung up the phone without even letting me to say goodbye.

After 30 minutes of driving I already arrived at the hotel. As usual, the employees greeted me with smiles on their faces as I stepped inside. Once I arrived at the suite, I saw mom and dad sitting on the sofa having some quality time together.

“Son!” my mother yelled in happiness as soon as she saw me walking towards them.

“hi mom.” I said, embracing her before I high fived with my dad then gave him a hugged too.

“how are you son?” he asked, smiling at me.

“I’m fine dad.” I responded. We took a sit together and chatted for a while. Mom was being dramatic and funny at the same time again. She kept on telling me how much she missed me and how she wished we could live together in the same house in which dad opposed.

 “Your son is a grown up man stop clinging on him.” my dad said. They told me a lot of stories about the countries they had been to this year. My parents loved to travel around the world, they go to different places together and although most of the time I was worried about them since they were getting old I realized that it was their way to enjoy life.

“Since when did you arrive here?” I asked.

“Just last week.” My father said.  “we went to Jeju first before here you know.” he added.

“and you didn’t even give me a call?”

“We know you are busy son so we didn’t call you and aside from that we wanted to surprise you.” my mom said, caressing my cheeks.

“Thanks, I was really surprise.”

“Where’s my granddaughter?” dad asked, looking around for mi young.

“She’s in school she’ll be here by afternoon after I picked her up.”

“I thought she has a nanny?” mom asked.

I nodded remembering Park bom. I was still curious of why she didn’t come today. I wonder if she was sick or something. “Yeah, but her nanny is absent today.”

“Aigoo, anyway since your father and I are here already we will take a stroll around the hotel and afterwards we’ll go somewhere else to eat.”

“you should come with us.” Dad invited.

“No, thanks. I still have a lot of paper works piled on my table.” I said, pointing at my desk. Dad chuckled and shook his head. “you really should loosen up a bit Ji yong.” Tapping my back, my parents stood up and bid their goodbyes at me. “we will come back here later and see Mi young okay? afterwards we will have dinner TOGETHER.” mom said, emphasizing the last word. I knew I couldn’t say no to her.

For the past several hours I focused myself in doing my works. I attended a meeting which discussed about the plans for the expansion of the hotel in different parts of the country as well as partnerships with different luxury brands. It took almost 2 hours before the meeting finally ended. After the meeting, I went back to my office again and rested for a while. As I sat on the bar counter holding a glass of wine, I suddenly remembered Park bom again. Wondering why she was absent I decided to fished out my phone from my pocket and give her a call.

“Am I being too nosy if I ask her why she didn’t go to work?” I muttered, staring at the screen. I was about to end the call when I suddenly heard a ringing sound playing somewhere inside the suite. Curious about it, I went to follow the sound and it led me to our bedroom. At the bedside table, I noticed a green sling bag. “Is this bom’s bag?” I opened it and checked what was inside. I was right when I picked up her ringing phone and saw my name on the caller’s ID.

“What’s the point of calling her now?” I said quite disappointed as i ended the call. I was about to place her phone inside her bag again when I got a little curious of the things inside. In my mind I wanted to stop myself from being such a busybody but my curiosity couldn’t just stop and in the end, I ended up holding her green wallet.

“She likes green” I smirked, holding her thin wallet. Once I opened it, something suddenly fell from it. I picked it up from the floor and turned to see a picture of her with a person whose face was intentionally scratched off the picture. Just by looking at the arms wrapped around her shoulder, I could tell that it was a man. I was planning to keep it back inside her wallet again when I noticed another picture of her. This time it was a picture of her wearing a black graduation gown. She was not alone in the picture and was with some foreign friends.

“Did she study abroad?” I felt a bit strange just by looking at her pictures. The bom in the pictures was so different from the bom that I knew. If she studied abroad it means she was a well-off person. I mean, just thinking of the expenses a student would pay for her education it would be really expensive. Well unless she was a brainy student and got a scholarship to study in other country. That would make sense. But another thing that got me so confused was that if she finished her studies why would she work here as a nanny?

“why?”

A throbbing pain suddenly occurred in my head as I tried to think of it. “Why do you even care Ji yong?” I muttered to myself as I put the pictures back inside her wallet and arranged her bag.

DARA

“Ah~ this is life.” I felt my body relaxed as the masseuse ran her hands on my back giving me a massage. It was my free day today and I had no schedule that’s why I decided to spend the whole day pampering myself. I had a lot of agenda today and i wrote them in my mini notebook. I couldn’t wait to do everything that was written on it but I just wish my manager unnie wouldn’t find it out.  After having the massage, I had my hair and nails done at the parlor that was 2 blocks away from the spa.   

“do you think blonde suits me?” I asked, glancing at the hairstylist.

“Of course!” she exclaimed, “everything suits you Dara” she continued. I smiled at the compliment and allowed her to dye my black hair into blonde. Since it would take several hours until it gets done, I decided to read some magazines I picked up from the book rack. While flipping the pages, I noticed Ji yong’s picture in the magazine. He was wearing a black suit and just sitting on a brown leather chair. He looked y with his sharp eyes and the way his blonde hair was styled like he just woke up from his sleep. I could even feel the urge of wanting to feel his lips on mine just by looking at it. In the magazine, his hotel was featured on it and the topic was about the TOP 10 most influential and richest businessmen in Korea. He was in the 2nd rank after my father who was as usual getting the number 1 spot for his Jeju Royal Resort. In the picture, dad still looked handsome even though he was already old. His hair had a mixed of white and black color. A lot of people say that we look alike especially when dad was the same age as me and now, just by looking at his picture I think I could see the resemblance. I hope my schedule will be finish soon so that I could go to Jeju and visit him.

By the time I was done, I drove back to the hotel again and changed clothes. I couldn’t help but feel this excitement as I stared at the wish lists I had written in my notebook. The real action for my today’s agenda was just about to start. Before going out of the suite again, I took a one last glance at the mirror. I checked myself and fixed my clothes. Today, I decided to go for casual attire. I looked boyish especially with the black beanie in my head and the sunglass.

 “do I look recognizable?” I muttered, looking at myself. I picked up my backpack on the bed and slung it over my shoulder. I brought my money and my cell phone with me except for my car keys. I was planning to take the bus and toured the city all by myself. 

My heart was thumping so fast the moment I got in the bus. I looked down nervously as i walked in the aisle trying to find a vacant seat. I found one at the back and I immediately sat there. I smiled and let out a sigh of relief when I noticed that my disguise was a success because no one was looking at me. As the bus began its journey, I couldn’t hide my amusement seeing the big city again. The bright lights, the places, buildings and the people were just amazing. I knew that I shouldn’t be like this but I couldn’t help it. After 15 minutes, the bus stopped and I immediately got down. The sun was about to set in a couple of hours and I knew It was a good chance for me to stroll around the city like I was just a normal person. I entered different shops and markets that were selling cheap clothes and things. I was so happy that I bought a lot of stuffs with me. Once I grew tired of walking, I decided to eat in a food stall in the sidewalk. I was very cautious to eat at first because of the people but forgot it once I tasted the foods. I ordered fish cakes, ddukboki, corn dogs and many more foods. By the time I was full, I decided to go to the mall and watch a movie alone.

JIYONG

“What are you cooking mom?”

I leaned against the kitchen counter watching my mother cook something for our dinner. I could feel myself getting a bit hungry after smelling the delicious foods coming from the pot.

 “Spicy chicken and potato stew.” She said, turning to look at me.

“My favorite.” I grabbed a spoon and walked near the stove to taste the soup from the pot. From the corner of my eyes I could see my mom watching my reaction as I brought the spoon to my mouth tasting the soup.

“Hmm delicious.” I smiled, turning to look at her.

“Really? I’m glad you liked it.” A wide grin covered her face as she fished out a pitcher of orange juice from the fridge. She poured two cups and handled one for me before we sat on a stool.

“I’m glad you’re here mom. Mi young seems so happy to see you and dad again.” I said, sipping my orange juice.

“She’s really sweet and I’m so proud of how you raise her well.” She responded. “Anyway, I’m wondering what you are doing lately aside from work.”

I took another sip of my orange juice before glancing at my mom who looked like she was interested and was waiting for me to say about something.

“I take care of Mi young.”

“and?”

“hmm . . . sometimes i eat outside with my friends and colleagues.”

“Friends like who?”

Based on her questions I think I already knew why my mom was asking. “Seungri and Daesung.” Just like what I expected, I saw a disappointment in her face.

“You’re not dating anyone?” She asked.

I shook my head, “I’m not.”

“why? don’t you think it’s time for you to meet someone again?”

“I’m not interested mom.”

“but still you should try and—“

Our conversation was interrupted when my phone suddenly rang. Seeing it was Seungri who was calling me I immediately answered it.

“Ji yong” A voice which I didn’t recognize suddenly called me on the other line.

“Who is this?” I asked, wondering why she was holding Seungri’s phone. I actually thought it was one of the women Seungri had slept with before.

“I-it’s me Dara’s manager.”

Seeing mom was watching me carefully, I stood up and walked a little further away from her while she kept her eyes on me. I stood behind the window glass where I could see Mi young and dad grilling barbecue together in the backyard.   

“Ji yong please help me to find dara.” I sensed the nervousness coming from her voice.

“what do you mean?” I asked, confused.

“I’ve been trying to look for her since this morning but I haven’t seen her yet.”

“did you call her?”

“I tried to call her but she put her cellphone off.”

I glanced at the wall clock and it was still quite early. “It’s already 9 o’clock maybe she’s on her way back to the hotel.” I said, trying to calm her down. I heard a few heavy deep breaths from her before she talked to me again. “That’s the problem” she paused.

What’s the problem? I thought.

“I am pretty sure that she didn’t bring her car because she left her car keys in the suite.”

“what?!” my voice suddenly got louder making my mother to look at me suspiciously. I toned down my voice as I speak on the phone telling her manager to inform the police about it.

“No, we can’t do that.” she said. “If we tell the police about it i’m pretty sure that the media will find it out. That’s why I’m asking you because you’re the only one I think who could help me in this situation.”

“okay, I’ll look for her.” I finally said. I couldn’t just stay here in the house after knowing Dara was missing. I hang up the phone after telling the manager to just stay in the hotel and inform me if ever Dara already came back afterwards, I went back to the living room and picked up the car on the mini table.

“Where are you going? Dinner is about to start.” My mom asked, following me in the living room. She was looking at me suspiciously and I didn’t know what to say as an excuse. If I told her about Dara I was pretty sure she was going to interrogate me about her and I didn’t want that to happen.

Think of an excuse ji yong, think.

“There’s just an emergency in the hotel.” I said, I hurried towards the front door and before my mom could even ask me a question I immediately told her to start the dinner without me.

“we will wait for you.”

“No mom, mi young is probably hungry just eat without me.”

DARA

After the movie ended i decided to go home already since it was getting late and I was pretty sure that my manager was already looking for me. While walking in the mall looking around, my eyes caught a glimpse of a woman walking towards the exit. Her long brown hair and pale white skin resembled someone I knew that it was hard for me to ignore her. I walked faster to follow her and by the time I went out, I lose tracked of her. The people in the streets were blocking my way that it was hard for me to look for her again.

“Ouch!” I hissed, when someone accidentally bumped my shoulder. My sunglass fell on the ground that I had to pick it up. I heard the man muttered his sorry and help me to pick it up.

“Oh aren’t you Sandara Park?!” he exclaimed. His loud voice made the people around to look at us especially me.

“No, you’re mistaken.” grabbing my sunglass from him, I immediately stood up and walked faster but the people began to block my way. I tried to squeezed myself away from them but they kept on holding me until someone suddenly pulled my beanie and removed it from my head.

“It’s Dara!”

And in no time, they began snapping pictures of me. I covered my face with my hands but they kept on removing it. The sea of people that were surrounding me made me afraid that I didn’t know where to escape and where to ask for help. I fished out my phone from my pocket and tried to dial my manager’s number when I suddenly dropped it on the ground. I crouched down to pick it up.

“Ah!” I bit my lower lip in pain when someone stepped on my hand. I was already sitting on the ground but no one was even trying to help me stand and just continuously snapped pictures of me. My hand was hurting so much but instead of looking worried for me, they were all smiling like they were happy to see me in this situation. No one was treating me like a person and all they see was an actress.

“Why are you crying? Stand up.”

My eyes widened upon seeing Ji yong picking up my phone. He reached out his hand and helped me stood up. “what are you doing here?” I asked, bewildered. I didn’t know why but tears suddenly flowed down my cheeks. I was happy and I felt this feeling of being safe the moment he held my hand. He put his arms around my waist as he tried to push the people who were trying to take pictures of us. I couldn’t take my eyes off him when I noticed him clenching his jaw as if he was trying to suppress his anger.  

By the time we reached his car, Ji yong drove far away from from the fans and we ended up at Han River. We didn’t talk the entire drive until Ji yong noticed the wounds in my hand. “You okay?” he asked. I nodded.

“I’ll just buy you some medicine.” I grabbed his wrist before he could even get out of the car. “there’s no need for that.” I said.

“You’re hurt.” he responded, staring at my injured hand.

“It doesn’t hurt much.” 

He let out a sighed and just glanced at me with curiosity. “Why did you do that? what are you thinking?” He asked.

Before I explained to him everything, I pulled out the mini notebook in my bag and showed the wish lists I made. “What is this?” he asked, grabbing the notebook. I let him read it and I noticed the growing surprised on his face.

“ride the bus, eat street foods, walk around the city, street shopping, watch movie alone” he glanced at me with his eyebrows drawn together. “you did these?”

I nodded shyly and explained to him. “I just wanted to do these things which I don’t normally do Ji yong. I just wanted to experience how to be normal again without those people recognizing me” I paused, pressing my lips together.  “but I guess it didn’t end well.” I sighed and looked at him apologetically. “I’m so sorry for the trouble I caused to you earlier. I don’t know how to thank you for everything you’ve done for me. You’ve also saved me from the same scenario before and I just feel so embarrassed for being such a nuisance.“

“I’m glad you’re fine. I was worried and have been looking for you everywhere until I suddenly noticed this commotion happening while I was driving in the street. I thought it could be you and I was right.”

I didn’t know why but I suddenly felt this tickling feeling in my tummy. “you were worried for me?” I asked.

He looked taken aback and when I sensed that I put him in an awkward situation I decided to change the topic. “you were mad earlier I could see that in your face when we were walking.”

“I was mad because those people didn’t help you at all.” He said, furrowing his brow.

“But you helped me and that’s all that matters to me now.” 

 

 

******

“should I give this to him?” I looked at the plastic bags I was holding and wondered if I should give the breads I bought to Yongbae. I wanted to thank him for everything he had done for me and this is all I could do or should I say afford for him. While walking in the street, I saw him at the playground sitting on a swing. As I walked near him I noticed that he was talking to someone on the phone.

“I’ll keep you updated sir.” He said. He looked around and once he saw me, I heard him say his goodbye to the person he was talking to. “what are you doing here?” he asked, quite surprised.

“I was just walking and I suddenly saw you. what are you doing here?” I asked, throwing the same question at him. “nothing.” He shrugged. “what’s that?” he pointed at the plastic I was holding and I suddenly remember it was for him.

“I bought these breads for you.”

“Oh, aren’t this your favorite?”

“how did you know?” I arched a brow at him. If I remember I didn’t mention to him my obsession about breads.

“Just guessing.” He said, smiling. I handed the breads to him before I sat on a swing next to him.

“You don’t have to do this bom I really don’t deserve this.” he said.

“it’s no big deal Yongbae.” I glanced at him and I saw this expression on his face which I couldn’t define. Was it sadness? Guilt?

“It’s my thank you gift.” I smiled.

“You’re a very nice person bom.”

“I’m not.”

“Yes you are. And I’m afraid in the future you would hate me.”

“Why would I hate you?” I asked, chuckling.

“I don’t know. I just see that coming.” He shrugged.

“There’s no way I could hate you after everything you did for me.”

We shared the breads I bought at the mall together and talked about a lot of stuffs. He asked me about my work and I told him I work for Kwon Ji yong as a nanny for his daughter. I also found out a little information about him. He used to live in Busan and decided to find a work here in Seoul. He was an only child and was trying to earn money for his sick mother.

“who is taking care of your mom now that you’re here?” I asked, taking a bite of my bread.

“she’s in a hospital so the nurses are the one who are taking care of her.” he said. Suddenly, I felt guilty about lying to him about my parents being dead. Although it was true that my mom was already dead, but my father was still alive.

“My mom died because of a car accident when I was 8 years old.” I finally said. I waited for yongbae to say something about how he felt sorry for me but no he didn’t say anything and just chose to remain silent.

 “It was very unexpected that I had to fly from the US to Korea the next day after my father called. By the time i arrived, her body has already been cremated. I didn’t know what to feel at that time but I was certain that I had a lot of regrets. How I wished I get to spend a lot of time with her, how I wished I get to say I love her every day. . .” I paused and took a deep breath as I tried to recall the things that happened back then.

“I cried for so many months and I began to hate the person who caused her death. I hated her very much that I couldn’t stand seeing her face. And my dad? He never cared for me no matter how much I tried to please him. He told me not to cry, and I didn’t cry. He told me to be strong, I grew strong. But in the end, I was never praised for what I did.“

“Maybe your father just wants the best for you.”

I suddenly chuckled upon hearing him. “That’s what my father usually tells me.” I said. “My best is not always good enough for him.” I added.

“Is that why you ran away?”

Unlike before, I wasn’t taken aback anymore by what he asked. He must have already figured it out based on my story.  “Yeah, it’s one of the reasons why.” I sighed. Moving the swing back and forth, I looked up at the sky and noticed that there were a lot of stars.

“what kind of person do you hate the most bom?” Yongbae suddenly asked.

And without a second thought I answered,

“A person who lies."