Chapter 15

Cold as ice

BOM

"You can stop here." 

As the car halted across the street, I removed my seatbelt and looked over my shoulder to stare at Miyoung sleeping soundlessly in the backseat. "We had a long day." Jiyong said, in an almost a whisper voice. I glanced at him and studied his face. He seemed exhausted and a part of me felt guilty for I was the reason of that. What happened earlier in the orphanage still made him uneasy and I could feel and see that as he looked at me now and tightly held my hand.

"See you tomorrow?" he asked, hesitantly. 

"I live there." I said, pointing at the maroon colored gate behind him. He looked over his shoulder and eyed it for a second before he stared at me again. "If you enter that, it will lead you to my apartment. It's on the right. The left one is Yongbae's." I explained, watching his expression. 

"Please don't tell me that there are only two tenants there." he said, a creased forming in his brows. 

"Well, there are only two apartments." I said, as I stifle a smile.

His lips pressed into a thin hard line I could tell it bothered him. "I don't mind if you come for a visit. Though I have to warn you, my place is not as beautiful and spacious as yours. And you might have to sit on the floor which might ruin your clothes." I said, tugging the fine sleeves of his white shirt. 

"No clothes then." He muttered, as a smile lifted the corners of his lips. 

Narrowing my eyes at him, "I have a feeling I need to get out of here before this conversation leads us to something else." I said, looking at Miyoung who suddenly stirred in her seat.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I continued. 

I looked at his hand holding mine and caressed it with my other hand. "Haunt me down if you don't see me tomorrow." 

"That's what I am planning to do." he responded, chuckling. 

When he removed his hand, he leaned closer and lightly peck my lips.

"Good night, Park bom."

And I heard the car door being unlocked.

 

 

“Great view.”

As soon as I entered the gate, I was surprised to see Yongbae perched up on a tree. “Wha-what are you doing there?” I asked, bewildered.

 “Sight-seeing.” He said, as he showed his binoculars to me. My face heated up upon seeing it. “Were you spying on me? That's rude.” I said, motioning at him to get down the tree.

“I saw a rare bird here earlier which took my interest.” He paused, as he jumped from quite a high height and landed smoothly on the ground. How the hell he did it without feeling any pain on his feet amused me. “But I ended up seeing lovebirds instead.” He continued, dusting his pants.  

“So you’re dating Kwon Jiyong? That must be the reason why you were so upset when I kissed you.” He casually said. 

Crossing my arms against my chest, “Even if I’m not dating him, I will still be upset at you.” I said, as I walked past him purposely bumping his shoulder. He walked along beside me as he said, “So, he’s really your boyfriend.”

Stopping on my track, I turned and looked at him. “What is it to you if he’s my boyfriend?”

“Nothing.” He responded, shrugging.

I studied him before I resumed with my walk. I didn’t enter my apartment and decided to sit on the bench outside when he invited me to join him. “Did my uncle came home?” I asked, as I fished out my phone from my bag and checked if there were any calls or messages from him.

“No, he didn’t.”

“I can’t believe he’s not here when I need him.” I muttered, shaking my head in dismay.

“Does he know your current situation?”

Frowning, “Of course. He’s my uncle and he’s the reason why I’m having a hard time right now.”

“No, I meant your boyfriend.”

That made me to look at him. “Does he know?” he asked. “who you are?”

I could feel my mouth slightly parted in surprised at his question.

“who am I?” I asked, repeating what he said as I looked suspiciously at him.

Nodding his head, “The loan sharks, debt and the harassment, remember?”

Oh, so that’s what he meant.

Sighing, “No.” 

“Why didn’t you tell him?”

“Because he doesn’t need to know.” I paused, looking intently at him. “It’s my own problem and I don’t want to drag him in this."

He just nodded thoughtfully at that but didn’t say anything afterwards. “Did the loan sharks called you again?” He asked.

“No, they didn’t.”

“You are considering to leave, Bom. But you’re now committed what are you going to do?”

The question made me suddenly remember Jiyong. The way he looked disheartened earlier at the thought of me leaving appeared in my mind. Even his heartfelt words rang in my ears as if he was still here. 

“I’m not planning to do that anymore.” I said, looking at the phone in my hand.

"I don't care anymore about what is going to happen to me but I’m not leaving."

"Because of him?" He asked.

"No." I responded, staring back at him.

"Because of myself, Yongbae. I don't want to run anymore. I want to find myself again and start over."     

I noticed the way his jaw clenched tight at what I said but before I could even ask why, he nodded and smiled at me.

“You’re finally moving on.”

 

JIYONG

“Jiyong.”

I didn’t even realize I fell asleep on the sofa until I opened my eyes and found Bom standing across me in the living room.

“You’re here.” I muttered, as I rubbed my face with my hands and sat up straight.    

 “This is the second time I arrived with your door open. You shouldn’t leave it like that especially when you're asleep.” She said, gazing down at me.

Scoffing, “Good morning too, Park Bom. I love what you’re wearing.” I responded, as I looked at her from head to toe and eyed the simple fitted black shirt and black jeans that accentuated her curves and figure. Honestly, it was her fitted shirt that I really loved the most. 

“Are you even listening to me?”

Moving my gaze up from her chest to her face that looked suspiciously at me, “I'm listening and I purposely left the door open.” I paused as I fished out the keys from my back pocket. “Here, I duplicated the key so you won’t have to knock or wait outside.” I said, reaching my hand out. She didn’t move and remained standing in her place as she frowned at me, “I can just knock or use the doorbell just like what I usually do.”

“Still. Take it.” I insisted. When she looked like she was about to retort again, I furrowed my brows and gave her a warning look that made whatever she was about to say to be swallowed up. The last thing I wanted was to have a debate with her about this key. 

“Fine.” She muttered, frowning.

Taking a step forward, when she extended her arm and reached for the key, I immediately grabbed her wrist with my other hand and pulled her on top of my lap as a mild shriek escaped from her.

“Gotcha.”

“What are you doing?!” she hissed, untangling herself from my arms wrapped around her.

“What? Can’t I even hold my girlfriend?” I asked, pulling her close to me. When she tried to get up, I adjusted her position letting her legs to dangle over the side of the couch. "Sit still." I said.

Her body wasn’t too thin or thick and her skin was very soft and smooth that I just wanted to keep her and cuddle with her all day. When she stopped protesting, she quickly glanced at me before she eyed the stairs behind us.  

“Don’t worry about that. Miyoung’s already in school.” I said, as I wrapped my arms around her hips and kissed the side of her cheek.

“What? It’s only 7:00 in the morning.” She said, looking at her wristwatch.

“Did you forget? She has a play today and they need to arrive in school early for their final rehearsal.” Holding her hand, I brought it to my lips and kissed it as well.  

“I didn’t forget that but I have no idea about the rehearsal.” She responded. I could feel her fidgeting as I moved and brushed my mouth against her jawline and the side of her neck.  

“Did you cook breakfast for her?” 

“Mm.”

I was too absorbed in her scent, the feel of her skin against my lips and the sweet sensation she was causing to me that I couldn’t even think of talking or responding properly to her. Even the close contact of our body against each other was too tempting to ignore especially when I knew that the only thing that separated us right now were our clothes.

How I love to run my hands under that shirt.   

“What did you make for her?”

Cupping her cheeks, I gently turned her head and left kisses to the other side of her face making sure I didn’t leave anything untouched. Even the crooked of her neck and her shoulder. “I hope you cooked bacon for her that’s her favorite.” I was sure I was eating her up already but she really had a way sometimes to ruin the mood.

"It's either you don't find me very appealing or you're just really clueless about what I want right now other than to talk about my daughter's breakfast." 

I was surprised to see the coy smile on her lips once she focused her attention at me. "clueless?" She asked, narrowing her eyes at me. “Trust me, I know what you want." she paused, placing a hand over my neck. I could feel it tightening and loosening as she said, "You keep on staring at my s a while ago, Jiyong.”

"what?" 

"Don't even deny it. I caught you." 

 There was a silence that occurred between us as I swallowed and stared at her watchful, suspiciously looking face. 

I was trying hard to restrain a laugh but ended cracking up at the situation. “I’m sorry. Forgive me. I like you so much.” I continued, half-embarrassed and amused at her for being so straightforward. 

I let out a low grunt when she slightly elbowed me in the stomach. “Sneaky man.” 

“You seem to have forgotten that you’re sneaky too. We’re quits now.” I said, smirking.

“Remember that night you grabbed my peni— “

“Shut up.” I wasn’t even able to finish what I was going to say when she placed a hand over my mouth. Removing her hand, “Remember Park bom?” I asked, grinning.

She adjusted uncomfortably in my lap that sent a pleasurable friction against my pants. “Don’t move too much or you’ll get pricked.”

“Kwon Jiyong!”

Hearing her exclaimed and called my whole name made me burst in another round of laughter. At times like this she just looked like an innocent defenseless kid.

"One more inappropriate word.” She warned, blushing furiously.

 Chuckling, “I'm just kidding. I'll stop now. No, don’t go.” I said, pulling her back when she tried to get up. I received another jabbed from her before she finally settled in and relaxed.

"Am I overwhelming you right now?"

“No, You’re annoying me.” She paused, staring at me. “Did you stay up late last night? You have dark circles forming here." She muttered, as she traced her index finger under my eyes. 

"That's your fault. After making me go through that hell you expect to be okay? I kept thinking of you last night."

"Oh." She said plainly. 

"I think I was traumatized, Park Bom." 

Arching her brow, "Really? But base on where your hand is going I think you're very fine." She said, as she looked at my hand slowly making its way up from her thigh to the inside of her shirt the warm skin of her flat stomach. When I felt her body stiffened, realization hit me.

"Are you ticklish?" I asked, amused.

She tried to immediately removed my hand but I was quick to poke her ribs with my fingertips that made her to bury her face in my shoulder and let out a soft involuntary muffled giggled. I laughed when she scowled at me after that. 

"What's wrong Park Bom?" I asked as I wriggled my fingers against her flesh and watched her squirmed in my arms. 

"Ji--" She squeaked. "S-stop." 

Her hands were clutching mine but it didn’t have enough strength to stop me from jamming my fingers on her, "Speak clearly, Bom. I don't understand." I said, enjoying her struggling.

What a rare sight. 

"Are you ticklish? Where? Here?" I asked, tickling her in delight.

“Oh, here?”

As I dug my fingers on her ribs again, she burst into laughter that made me look at her in awe. The once in a blue moon joyous sound coming from her made her look so carefree and beautiful that instead of stopping, I extended my teasing on her. Her voice echoed in the living room and when she leaned her head back laughing and exposed her tempting neck to me, I lowered my head and pressed my mouth on . Surprised, she jerked up immediately at that and met my gaze. Her chest was heaving that I could feel her warm breath through her slightly parted mouth that looked so inviting. And without even saying a word, I gently kissed her upper lip, lingering and relishing the feel of it against mine before I finally moved to her lower lip and did the same thing again.

When I pulled away, “Are you going to attend Miyoung’s play later?” I asked, as I leaned my back against the couch. I noticed her staring at my mouth as she played with my fingers resting in her lap.

"I'm not yet sure." she said. 

“Didn’t she tell you yesterday that she doesn’t mind whether you come or not? That’s a good thing.”

Frowning, “How is that a good thing?” 

“She didn’t reject you which she always does. You have an option and I think that’s a good sign. And besides, I noticed you two have gotten closer compared before.” 

She looked at me thoughtfully as she reached for my collar and buttoned up my shirt. A simple gesture that made my heart race.

"Are you planning to tell Miyoung about us?" she asked, curiously.

"Once she really gets comfortable with you I'll slowly explain to her." 

It wasn't very noticeable but she let out a sigh of relief. "Okay." she muttered. “I might ruin your daughter’s mood if I attend the play. So I won’t probably go.”

Frowning at her excuse, “Why? You should go and watch it.”

I didn't even realize she had already fixed my black tie until I looked down at her hands tugging it.

“I'm impressed."

"I know." she responded, eyeing me in amusement. She looked like she was going to say something again so I waited for her to speak.

“Does she talks about her mom to you?" She asked, tilting her head to the side. 

Nodding, "She used to when she was a little younger. Sometimes I'm the one who talks about her mom to her.”

"And what do you tell her?" 

"It depends on what she's asking about. But I never forget to tell how much her mom loves her even if she's not here." 

"I'm sure she knows that." she said, smiling.

I nodded in agreement.

She pressed her lips tight and I could tell she was debating whether she should tell me about it or not. My mind was wondering about what she was currently thinking but I didn’t say anything nor ask her about it. She already knew it anyway. I had already made it clear to her yesterday and told her everything I wanted her to know. Right now, I could only wait here and see her hopefully to just be herself and not hold back anymore.

 

BOM

The hallway was packed with extravagant props, costumes and people who kept on coming in and out of the rooms. It made me feel a little suffocated at first but when I found the room that I was searching for, I felt like I could breathe again. When I opened the door to one of the dressing rooms, I immediately saw the kids wearing all sorts of costumes while playing and excitedly running around.

Moving my gaze, I immediately looked for Miyoung. It was a good thing the place wasn't crowded that I immediately found her standing in the corner trying to wear her pink voluminous gown. I was already a few steps away from her when she happened to look at my direction and her eyes slightly lit up in recognition. 

"Hi, need help?" I asked, crouching down at her level. 

She looked at me wide-eyed as she chewed her lip. "I can't zip up the back of my dress so I removed it again but now I can't find the arm hole." 

Smiling, I reached for her dress. "I'll help you."

As I silently dressed her up, I suddenly noticed her eyeing me with her clear innocent eyes. When I looked back at her, she just blinked but didn’t say anything. "Are you nervous?" I asked, curiously. When she shook her head, I smiled in return. 

"Where's dad?" she asked, tilting her head to the side. 

Jiyong and I actually came together in the school but because of an emergency call from Seungri, he had to go to the hotel first.

"He'll be here in a while." I said, tugging her dress as she nodded. 

When I was done dressing her up, I gently pushed her back to take a better look.

"Beautiful."  

"Really?" She chirped, as she spun around like a princess making her gown to produce a nice elegant twirl.

Giving her a light clap, "That was a very graceful spin, Miyoung." I said, impressed at her. She blushed and giggled softly at that.   

“Can you help me put my crown too?” 

I nodded. “Sure, but let me do your hair first.”  

Fishing out the comb from my bag, I let her sat in my lap as I brushed her soft silky hair. It had gotten longer now compared before and it perfectly framed her lovely face. Realizing we still had enough time before her play, I styled her hair and pulled it into side French braid. I failed a couple of times but on my third attempt I managed to do it neatly. By the time I was done, I gave her a mirror and showed it to her. Through the reflection I could see her face lit up as she turned her head side by side checking her hair.  

“Do you like it?” I asked.

“Mm.” She said, nodding vigorously.

“Now let’s put your crown.”

After rummaging through her trolley bag, she pulled out a golden crown with red stones around it that sparkled when twisted. As soon as I placed the crown in her head, someone suddenly yelled that the show was going to start. “Where’s your shoes?” I asked, noticing her still barefoot. I helped her rummaged through her bag and pulled out a pair of white doll shoes. I immediately slipped it on her tiny feet. “Good luck.” I said, looking at her from head to toe checking if I missed something.

Behind us, I could her teacher calling the students and asking the parents and guardians to go the theatre hall. “Will you sit in the front seat?” She suddenly asked.

“I-It’s my first play and I might get nervous.” She mumbled, looking sheepishly at me.

I was surprised at that request but I nodded.

“Of course. And it’s normal to be nervous as long as you don’t forget to enjoy your play, Miyoung. I know you will do well. You’ve been practicing this for so long, right?” I said, caressing her cheek.

“Mm.” she nodded.

I eyed her for a moment before I gently patted her head. “Go to your teacher now.” I said.

“O-okay.”

When she turned her back and ran to where her classmates were gathering, I stood up preparing to leave too. There were a lot of audience that were going to watch the show that I needed to hurry so I could find a place in the front seat.

“Unnie.”

I was about to go to the door when I suddenly heard Miyoung. Looking over my shoulder, I glanced down at her as she chewed her lip.

“did you forget something?” I asked.

Shaking her head, “no, uhm…” she mumbled. I noticed the way she diverted her eyes away from me.

“What is it miyoung?” I asked, crouching down. 

“It’s nice to see you here.”

I think I was in a daze for a while that before I could even process what she said, she immediately ran away leaving me in astonishment.

“what?”

 

JIYONG

“Daesung, what happened?”

As soon as I entered the security department, I found him reviewing the CCTV footage recorded hours ago in front of the executive suite where Dara was currently staying.

“Here’s the person who left the box.” He said, pointing at the screen. I narrowed my eyes as I looked at the person wearing an all-black outfit. He was wearing hat in his head that made it unable to recognize him for it covered his face. "Did you check the other CCTV footage in the areas where we could see his face?" I asked, as I watched the man left a brown box in the front door before leaving casually.  

“Not yet, hyung but I’m going to check it after this. Look, this is when Ms. Park opened the door. It was an hour after the person left.” he said, as he fast forwarded the video clip.

In the screen, Dara came out still in her bathrobe. It was a good thing she just eyed the brown box and didn’t try to hold or open it for it looked suspicious enough.

“And she called the emergency number after that?” I asked.

“Yes.” Daesung said. “Look, this is when the securities arrive.” He said, fast forwarding the video again. I watched the security staffs carefully inspected the box before they cautiously carry it. Seungri explained to me earlier that the securities brought it to an isolated place and fortunately, it wasn't what everyone was expecting.

"It wasn't a bomb but the things inside that box are really disturbing." 

"Why? what's inside?" I asked, taking a sit beside him. 

"Things like pictures of Dara mostly in her private time like when she’s shopping or having lunch with her friends or getting a spa treatment. There were letters too and it was written as if they have some sort of relationship with each other. We asked her if she's seeing someone lately and she said, she's not but she admitted to us that she had the same case before but that was only through text messages."

Turning to look at me, "I think she got herself some kind of fan who turned out to be an obsessed creepy stalker."

 "Did she report this to the police?" I asked. 

"Yes, and she asked for a secret investigation." 

"Good. Make sure you keep that video safe they might ask for it." I muttered, pointing at the screen. "This is alarming in terms of the security and privacy we have here. That man shouldn't have reached that floor in the first place. We're using a key card here for the elevators and unless you're a guest and..." Then it dawned on me. 

Looking at Daesung, "Did you check if he's a guest? I mean there's no way he could get to that same floor and have that access unless he's a guest. Has anyone noticed anything suspicious around? Perhaps someone lurking around Dara's suite before that happened? Review the footages again, Daesung." I commanded, as I stood up when I felt my phone vibrated inside my pocket. When I pulled it out and looked at the screen, I saw that it was Bom calling me. I looked at my wristwatch and winced when I noticed I was already late for Miyoung's play. Before I could even answer my phone, the call had already ended.

“I need to go. Inform me if something happens.”

 

 

I was already on my way to the parking lot when I arrived at the exit door and felt my phone vibrated in my pocket again. Pulling it out, I looked at it and was surprised to see that it was from Bom. The content of her message amused and made me smile as I read it. 

Truth be told. I was quite worried earlier that your lack of presence here will affect Miyoung's performance but it seems to me that you're not that important as she's doing a good job right now. I personally think you’re not needed here anymore but still, she needs you and you promised her. I hope everything's already okay there. And by the way, I now understand what you feel whenever I don't answer your calls and I don't wish to feel the same thing too if you end up not replying to this message. 

Chuckling, "She's annoyed." I muttered to myself as I began to tap the screen with my thumb and replied to her.

You seem to have forgotten that Miyoung's my daughter. Of course she'll do a good job. She always does, even if I’m not around. And Park bom, I don't know what to feel about you not finding me important but I hope that only applies to that play? Anyway, since you already learned your lesson, I'm expecting you will answer my calls and messages in the future. I'm already on my way there.  

As soon as I pressed the sent icon on my phone, I felt someone suddenly poked my back. Turning to look over my shoulder, I was surprised to see Dara beaming at me. 

"Jiyong, you look like you've seen a ghost." she said, giggling.

"I uh. . . didn't expect to see you here. Are you okay?" I asked, suddenly remembering what happened to her earlier.

Sighing, "Look, I'm so sorry about that man who left the box in front of your suite earlier. We're already investigating and checking if he's a guest here."

"It’s okay and It's not your fault.” She said, shaking her head.

“I’ve already talked to the police about it. And besides, It’s my fault for not immediately making an action about it. I have a feeling the person who left that box was the same person who were texting me before." she said.

“Are the contents of the message the same as the one in the letters?” I asked, curiously.

“Not entirely the same but it was written as if we know each other.” She said.

“Don’t worry about that anymore. I’ve already alerted the securities about it.”

"I’m not worried.” She paused, looking at me. “In fact I actually feel better now that I saw you." 

That was an answer I didn't expect I just ended up staring at her wondering what to say in this kind of situation.

"Kidding!" she added, chuckling.

Her sudden playfulness and change of attitude amused me that I laughed along at her. "Are you shooting your drama?" I asked, looking at her from head to toe. Like yesterday, she had a full make-up on and was wearing a white mini dress and heels that made her taller. "What do you think of my look?" She asked as she stepped back and spun.

"You're pretty." I said, complimenting her. I was sure she was already used to hearing those things every day that it didn't make me hesitate to say it. And besides, it was true.

"Really?" She asked, blinking. I nodded.

When a light suddenly hit her face, the two of us looked to our left and saw at the end of the driveway a black car turning its headlights on and off. Not far away from where it was located was the production crew for her drama. "Are you going to use that car?" I asked, eyeing the black car as it turned off its headlights. 

"Yeah. There's this scene where I have to smash a car so that might be what we are going to use though. . . uhm. . . that looks a bit old." she said, looking at me. 

Nodding, I checked my wristwatch again. "Well, good luck on your filming, Dara." I said, giving her a slight pat in the head. She looked at me as if I grew a second head that made me chuckle. 

"Oh, are you going somewhere?" She asked. 

"Yeah, it's my daughter's play so I can't miss it." I said.  

"Rea-really? Well I think you really need to go." 

After giving her a brief goodbye, I hastily walked towards my car which was just a few steps away from where I was standing. I was about to get in when I suddenly heard an engine roared loudly that I looked over my shoulder and eyed the black car. The headlights were on again as it slowly moved further back. When casted a quick glanced at Dara again, she was busy talking to someone on her phone. As I opened the door, I slipped inside the driver's seat ignoring the ominous feeling in my stomach. I was starting the ignition when I happened to look at the rearview mirror and saw the car making a loud sound again. Something in my subconscious mind was telling me there was something wrong and without even giving it much thought, I got out of the car and followed my instinct.

"Dara, you're in the driveway." I said, as I slowly stride forward. I sighed when she didn't hear me. 

"Da--"

It was like those in movie films where everything seemed to happen so fast that there was not even a second to think and the only thing I could feel was the adrenalin that rushed through me as I found myself running towards her, shouting her name. 

“Dara!”

The lights blinded her as she looked at the car accelerating quickly aiming her direction but I managed to push her fragile body. I knew I did it. I knew then that she was safe as I heard the squealing of tires, the sounds of metal crashing against metal, screams and felt the agonizing pain in my body as I felt myself being thrown on the hard cold surface that made my head spun and ache, my vision blur and strangely through the fading surroundings, I think I saw a glimpse of her.

My wife.  

 

BOM

After the play, I went backstage to see Miyoung who ran towards me as soon as she saw me. "Did I do well? Did I do well?" she asked, looking up excitedly at me. 

I couldn't help chuckle in return as I bent down to her level and patted her head. "Yes, you did great and you are absolutely amazing."  I said, giving her two thumbs up.

A huge grin made way on her lips then but it immediately faded when she looked behind me. "In the end dad didn't come." she said, a small pout forming in her lips. The disappointment I heard from her voice made me feel bad. Jiyong texted me that he was on his way but I waited and he didn't come.

"You know how much your dad wants to see you, right? maybe he has--" 

"It's okay." she said, looking at me. "I understand." She added, slowly turning her back. 

"I've recorded your play in my phone." I said, turning her to look at me. I was surprised when I saw her getting teary but before her tears fall, she wiped her eyes with her arms.

"Really?" she asked, her lips quivering.

Cupping her cheeks, "I've recorded your play and maybe later when you get home you can show it to your dad. He will be very happy to see it and you know what's good about that?" I asked, wiping her tears. 

Sniffing, "Wha-what?" 

"You can sit next to him and this time, you can see his reactions more clearly. Isn't that nice?"

She was silent for a moment before she finally nodded and weakly smiled at me. "Mm Okay. I’ll-I’ll watch it with dad then." she sniffed, mumbling. 

where are you, Jiyong? I’m not good at this.   

Caressing her cheek, "Your dad will be here in a while. How about we grab some ice cream first as a celebration for the success of your play?" 

Seeing her eyes sparkled at the mention of ice cream made me grinned at her. "You'll buy me ice cream? The chocolate one and the white one with lots of sprinkles on it?" 

"Yes." I said, as I nodded eagerly.

 

Miyoung and I stayed in the theatre for a little while. Like what the other parents did to their kids, I took pictures of her as a remembrance for her and for Jiyong as well who didn't make it. I noticed he liked to take pictures and videos of special events like what he did when we were in Gangwondo and when his wife was still alive. Fortunately, my cellphone’s camera was clear enough to take beautiful pictures and videos that everything came out well.

As soon as I finished taking photo of her standing over the life size castle which made of wood, she rushed to me and asked me to show it to her. “You’re photogenic. Look, you came out so pretty.” I said, pointing at the picture of her standing and posing with her one hand placed in her hips.

“Unnie, I want to go already. Can we buy ice cream now?”

Looking at her glistening eyes, “Let me call your dad, first. He needs to know where we are going.”

“Okay. Please hurry and call him now.”

As I watched her jumped up and down while tugging my sling bag, I couldn’t help but feel a little happy about her changes in interacting with me. She was friendlier to me now and I guess I owe that to the little exchanges we had before. Pressing the number 2 speed dial on my phone, I called Jiyong and to my surprised he wasn’t answering. I was going to end the call and just text him when a voice that didn’t belong to him answered his phone.

“Bom.”

“Who-who’s this?” I asked, hesitantly.

“Bom, this is Seungri. Where are you?” He asked. The way he sounded so cautious made me frown.

“I’m in school with Miyoung.” I paused, “Seungri, where’s Jiyong? He missed his daughter’s play and she’s looking for him.” I said. There was a noise in the background but I couldn’t tell what was it.

“Bo-bom. Something happened.” he stuttered.

The way he suddenly sounded nervous made me suspicious. “What happened?” I asked.

When he didn’t respond, I glanced at Miyoung who was sitting down on a chair before I moved a little farther from her.

“Seungri what happened? Why are you holding his phone? Where is he?” I asked, trying to minimize my voice as much as possible. I didn’t want to assume anything but I was getting uneasy as I waited for him to talk.

“Bom, there was an accident and—”

"What accident?" I blurted, surprised at what he said. 

I could feel my chest tightening at the thought of it.

"Jiyong hyung, he was involved in a car accident." 

For a moment, I felt like I lost control of my body as I staggered a bit. My hands were getting cold and my knees were weakening I almost wanted to collapse on the floor. He was just fine earlier when I saw him. We were just kissing, laughing and talking to each other. How was it possible that he suddenly got into an accident.

Don't cry. Be brave. You're not weak! 

Taking in deep breaths, I swallowed the lump forming in my throat.

"Which hospital Seungri?" I asked, sternly. 

“Seoul Hospital.” He said.

Looking over my shoulder, I forced a smile when I noticed Miyoung staring at me. "Inform me immediately about his condition. I'll be there." I said, as I ended the call.  

“Unnie, what’s wrong?” she asked, as she tugged the end of my shirt. 

“Miyoung.” I said, crouching down to her level. She stared at me with her innocent eyes and I suddenly had no idea how I was going to explain to her about her dad. It felt strange that the situation I had right now felt nostalgic. I could see myself in her. The innocent clueless kid. 

Don't take him away from her.

"There’s a reason why your dad wasn’t able to come here. Right now. . . uhm. . ." I paused, looking at her. 

"What reason?" she asked with her sweet small sounding voice.

"He-he’s in the hospital.”

Tilting her head to the side, “Why? Is daddy sick?”

Nervously my lips, “Ye-yes. He got hurt.” I said, forcing a smile. I didn’t say much because a part of me didn’t want to see her in pain but It was as if she understood it that suddenly, I didn’t see a 7-year-old kid in her.

“Unnie, we need to go and see him now.”

 

 

When we reached the hospital, I found Seungri waiting at the entrance for us. “Where is he?” I asked, trying to be as calm as possible.

“Follow me.” He said, as he carried Miyoung in his arms.

I could feel my legs wobbling at every step I took. My heart racing in fear and my head thinking of different things that made me even more scared. The smell and the sight of the hospital made me nauseated, dizzy and sick to my stomach. When we rode the elevator, I could feel myself getting impatient and restless. Even the sullen look on Seungri’s face didn’t help to lessen the worry I was feeling. There were so many twist and turns in the hallway but when we stopped in front of a white door, I felt myself relaxing a little upon noticing it wasn’t an Emergency room. Seungri looked at me as he held the knob and quietly opened the door.

As soon as we entered the private room, I found myself rushing inside and stopped abruptly when I found Jiyong sitting on the bed with a white bandage wrapped around his head and an arm sling in his left arm. Standing beside the bed was someone I didn't expect to see.  I had no idea why but I could easily tell that she had been crying by her puffy eyes and red nose.

Dara, She's still a cry baby. 

Her hand that was holding his made me open my mouth to say something but stopped when my phone suddenly rang making the two of them startled and immediately unclasped their hands. I looked at him and stared at his face that I thought I wouldn't be able to see again. Just the sight of him being well made me contented and relieved. So relieved I felt myself resisting the urge to run to him and hug him as I stared at his warm assuring smile that I knew was meant for me. 

"Dad!" when Miyoung suddenly ran towards him, I took that as a sign to stepped back and leave. 

He's fine. He’s alive and that's what matters to me

 

 

Outside the hospital room, I pulled out my phone from my pocket and answered the call from Yongbae. "Bom, check the news." that was the first thing I heard from him. "Why? What's in the news?" I responded, as I walked around the hallway looking for some place where I could rest my still shaking legs. There was a waiting area and I decided to sit there for a while as I looked up at the TV mounted against the wall. My mouth parted in surprised once I saw what Yongbae was probably trying to tell me.

"The man who tried to ually harassed you is already in the hands of the law enforcement after being caught in a buy-and-bust operation. He was caught for selling drugs, Bom." He explained. In the TV, the man was shown resisting and trying to escape the police but he was already surrounded as they easily put him down onto the floor and handcuffed him.

 I was completely aware that the things such as the debt and the other loan sharks wouldn't change the fact that I still had to be careful. But with him being caught, I felt like an heavy weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

"Good." I whispered, relieved. 

"Don't worry too much. I have a feeling everything's going to be fine from now on." he added. 

Scoffing, "Don't be so sure about that and besides, I'd rather you to stop meddling too much in my business Yongbae. The man is already in the police, your job of protecting me is done as well."

When he got silent and didn't say anything in return, I decided to end the call already. I wouldn't be able to talk to him properly anyway now that Dara was walking towards me. It was fortunate that there were only few people lounging at the waiting area and most of them were elders who didn't recognize her. 

"What do you want?" I asked, when she silently took a sit beside me. I noticed the dirt on her white dress and the few minor scratches she got on her face. 

“Jiyong’s resting.” She said.

I didn’t say a word to her and just kept on staring at the TV. I already had an idea what happened just by looking at her that I felt my hands balled into fists.  

"He got hurt because of me." she finally said.

"He threw himself for me. He saved me from that car. From that stalker who left a box in my suite that contained a lot of my pictures and letters. Jiyong saved me. I thought he was going . . ."

I looked incredulously at her when began crying like a kid again.

“I thought he was going to die.” She sobbed, burying her face in her palm. I noticed there were fresh scratches in her arm as well.   

“Did you sit here to irritate me with your crying? Leave.” I said, as she stared at me.    

"When you were a kid, mom saved you from the same thing which caused her life. And now that you're older someone has saved you again. Just what do you have that you always bring this kind of misfortune to someone else's life?" I asked, looking at her eyes b with tears. 

"Jenny unnie." she whispered. 

"Don't call me that." I said, sternly. "I was hoping the talk we had in your suite before was the last time I would see you but it seems like I was wrong. We crossed paths again."

"I almost died . . . " she trailed, "Aren't you going to ask me if I’m okay?"

"Do I look like I care about you?" I muttered, looking straight at her. Standing up from my seat, I was going to leave when I felt her suddenly held my wrist.

“Let go.” I said, gritting my teeth.  

Tears tried to threaten her eyes once again but she blinked it back and held my wrist tight. "Aren't you planning to go home?" she suddenly asked.

"Never."

"But dad he's. . ."

"Will you cut this out Dara?" I interrupted, annoyed at her.  

Sitting back on the chair, I grabbed her by shoulders and roughly turned her to face me. "Look at me." I said, holding her firmly. 

"Can't you see how much I've changed? Can't you see how much I hate you and dad?" I asked, sternly looking at her.

"The home that you're talking about has long been gone the moment our mom died and it continuously broke apart when I took responsibilities of everything dad wanted me to do. But did you see me complain then? No. Because all my life, I've tried so hard to be part of this home.” I said, releasing her shoulders.

“But what did I get in return?" I questioned.

“Nothing.” I spat.  

“In the end, I lost everything.”

When I stood up and tried to leave,

“Unnie if you are referring to what happened three years ago I—

“Stop.” I said, giving her a warning. “I don’t want to hear what you’re going to say. Don’t you ever mention that and If you say one more word, you’ll find yourself being confine here. I’m done with all the lies you and dad told me and I do not wish to hear another thing from you.”

Somehow, it was in this kind of moment where I could feel the pain of the scar in my shoulder. Or maybe it wasn’t coming from the scar but from my heart.

 

JIYONG

It was evening. The doctor just checked my condition and my vital signs. Dara already went home and Seungri just went out to buy something to eat with my daughter. Those were the valid reasons why, as soon as I heard the door creaked open, I immediately stopped watching the TV and closed my eyes knowing it was Bom. I was right for I smelled her scent once she neared beside the bed and grabbed the remote from my hand decreasing the volume of the TV. I was expecting her to touch me but I waited and waited and waited and . . .waited and she didn’t. Slowly opening my eyes, I found her sitting on the chair beside me silently watching the TV instead. It amused me that she left earlier without even saying a word to me and now that she was here, she was still ignoring me. Stirring on the bed, I let out a slight groan pretending to be in pain. The trick worked as she hastily stood up and looked closely to me.

“Jiyong, what’s the matter? Do you feel any pain?” Her hand felt warm as it rested in my right and well arm.

“Ye-yes.” I grunted loudly as I touched my bandaged head.

“Is it really painful?” she asked, worriedly.

Groaning, “Yes, very much.” I utter throatily.

Well, this is embarrassing.

“Wait, I’ll call the doctor.”

“No!” I exclaimed, immediately holding her arm when she tried to go away. I knew I was busted the moment her eyes widened in disbelief and slowly narrowed in suspicion.

“I’m fine.” I said. “Already.” I quickly added.  

“You were just producing some strange squawking noises a few seconds ago.” She said, looking passively at me.

“It’s gone now.” I said, swallowing.

She remained silent as she scrutinized me carefully. "I'll call the doctor." she said, turning away. 

"Bom, No. You don't have to." I said, pulling her wrist.

"Were you just pretending then?" There was an edge in her voice that made me suddenly regret what I did. If I wasn’t injured right now, she would have already hit my head with the remote she was holding.

“Sorry, I made you worry.” I said, tugging her arm.

When she didn’t respond and just stared at me, I removed my hand from her and supported my weight with it as I tried to sit up ignoring all the pain in my body. She probably saw me wincing as she leaned over, wrapped an arm around my shoulder and helped me sat up. I immediately noticed how she eyed my visible injuries and my left arm in a sling. The doctor said it was a miracle I survived that kind of accident considering the impact I received.

 “Sit down, Park Bom.” I said, tapping the space beside me. 

I kept my eyes on her as she hesitantly sat at the edge of the bed. Even though I didn’t say a word yet, there was a flicker of emotion she seemed to control so hard. But then, when I reached for her cheek and caressed it, it was as if every thought in her head ended up reflecting in her face.

“I’m okay.” I said, assuring her. Her eyes softened as she studied the left side of my face that I was sure had bruises.

“Your warm.” She muttered, as she placed her hand over mine.

“A good sign that I’m alive.” I responded smiling at her.

“It feels strange.” She whispered. “When you left me in school earlier after you told me there was an emergency. I didn’t expect it was going to be you. I mean, you were so well earlier and now that I’m looking at you I don’t know what to feel.” She continued, shaking her head side to side.

 “When I called you and Seungri answered your phone and he told me about what happened to you I . . .” she trailed.

 “I . . . the thought of suddenly losing you. . .” She whispered, looking anywhere but me.

I could feel my throat tightening seeing her like this. When I held her chin and she looked at me again, tears that she was trying to hold back quickly betrayed her as it streamed down from lovely face. For once, I saw her defenseless and It strangely made me feel grateful for what happened to me. I wanted this side of her so much. The assurance of knowing she was also scared of losing me as much as I was scared of losing her. Seeing her like this suddenly gave me a feeling of wanting to protect her even though I knew I was the cause of those tears.

“Don’t cry.”

As I watched her cried silently, I could tell she didn’t like me seeing her in that state as she kept on looking away from me. I didn’t offer any word to console her except for the silence that she didn’t seem to mind.

       When she was done, she stared at me again.

“Where’s Miyoung?” She sniffed, her voice weak.

“Eating with Seungri.” I responded, amused at her for recovering so easily. “Feeling better now, Park Bom?” I asked.

She nodded. “You should rest.” She said as she stood up from the bed.

That’s it?

“As my girlfriend, shouldn’t you be kissing me right now? I mean, you just almost lost me so the feeling of wanting to engulf me with a tight possessive hug is probably overflowing right now. Am I right? I know I’m right.” I said, looking up at her.

“Come, sit here.” I continued, tapping the space beside me again.

“Jiyong, you should just rest. You need it.” She said, motioning at me to lie down.

Frowning, “I’ve been waiting for you all day to come and visit me. I even did some embarrassing immature act and pretended to be in pain because you ignored me when you finally came in and now, you won’t even kiss me. What you’re doing right now is tremendously bad for my health, Park Bom.”

“I have no idea not kissing is bad for the health.” She responded, mocking me.

“I’m not done yet.” I said, thinking of an excuse. “That’s not what I’m trying to say. It’s the stress you’re causing me right now that is bad for my health.”

“Why am I stressing you?” she asked, frowning.

“You’re rejecting me.” I said, “You know how much I hate that.”

Without any word, she sat down beside me. I was waiting for her to say something but she just stared at me intently. “You have slight cuts on your face and bruises. Does it hurt?” she asked, as she gently turned my head.

“No.” I said, watching her closely.

She knew I was lying by the way she looked at me doubtfully. “A little.” I admitted. She looked down at my neck and when her eyes quite widened, I knew she saw a glimpsed of the bandage wrapped around my shoulders.

“Just how badly hurt are you?” She whispered, as the worry in her face became visible again.

 “I’m fine.” I said, cupping her cheeks.

“How’s your stomach and your legs?” she asked.

“Just Bruises.” I said, leaning close.

“And your head?”

“It’s just a wound. Don’t worry too much.” I added as I pressed my lips against her. She tried to talk to me again but I immediately pulled her closer and locked my lips with her kissing her passionately and hoping it would stop her worries. I could feel her hands gently wrapping around my neck as she slowly responded to me. Her kiss felt so cautious and hesitant but it slowly disappeared as she deepened her kiss on me that felt so different from what she used to do. It felt as though she was pouring out what she was feeling at the moment and that made my heart beat rapidly.

I could return your sweet kisses but I don’t know if I could love you

Her words suddenly echoed in my head and it made me held her tight.

She will love me.  I know she’s already going there.

 

 

“Daddy!”

Our eyes flung opened as we abruptly pulled away from each other upon hearing that familiar sweet high-pitched voice. “Mi-miyoung.” I said, in a raspy voice. I had no idea what surprised me the most. Miyoung’s sudden appearance that almost gave me an heart attack or the fact that Bom was right now, composedly and casually sitting on the chair beside the bed pretending to change the TV channel with the remote as if we weren’t having a deep kissing a while ago. How did she managed to quickly pull away and thought of doing that was beyond my comprehension.