Chapter 18

Cold as ice

"Seunghyun."

"Seunghyun, wake up."

"Choi Seunghyun."

"Mr. Choi."

"Hmm. . .  what?"

Taking my slippers off, I sat at the edge of the bed and slipped under the blanket curling up beside him. "Senghyun." I whispered, poking his cheek. He flinched but didn't open his eyes from his sleep. "Grumpy man." I muttered, giving him a peck on his lips.

"Hmm Jenny, what?" He mumbled frowning.

"wake up." I said, as I snuggled to him. I could feel the subtle rise and fall of his bare chest against my hand that rested on it.

 "Why are you here? What time is it?" He asked, his voice was y deep and husky.

I smiled. "midnight."

"What? Are you serious?"

Though I couldn't see his facial expression clearly through the darkness, I could tell from his tone that he wasn't pleased with that. "Jen, you shouldn't be here in my quarters. What if you get caught?" he asked.

I giggled when he pulled me closer before he lifted me up and placed me on top of him. I rested my head against his chest liking the warm feeling of it. "Don't worry about that. You see, I gave the maids the guards and even Mr. Han my special orange juice." I said, proudly.

"What did you do this time, woman?" He chuckled as he the back of my head.

"Let's just say I put something on it that will make them sleep for long long hours."

I felt his shoulders shook and I knew he was laughing. 

“Fine, just stay here if you want. But you have to go before dawn.”

Sighing disappointedly, "How could you? I knew you're going to forget it.”

“Forget about what?” He mumbled, obviously still in his sleepy state

“Happy birthday.” I greeted.

That seemed to awaken his senses for I felt him flinched. "Is it already my birthday?"

"Yes, it is. And I have something for you." I grinned as I kissed him again before I got up and carefully picked up a box on the floor. Seunghyun opened the bedside lamp and sat upright watching me curiously. I thought he looked extremely hot with his bed hair and his half body that it made my face flushed.

"What's that?" he asked, gesturing at the box.

Smiling, I carefully took off the lid and showed the round strawberry chocolate cake inside. "You don't want me to give you a gift but I really want us to celebrate your birthday together so I thought of buying a cake. I had a hard time hiding this from you earlier when you picked me up from the hotel." I paused as I planted the colorful birthday candles on it.

"I honestly want to make one for you but unfortunately I don’t know how to bake not to mention that the kitchen’s always occupied.” I paused, casting a quick glance at him.

“When I’m not busy anymore, I’ll try to learn it by myself." I said shyly. I could feel his eyes watching me as I busied myself lighting the candles one by one with a match. After a few seconds I lifted it up, quickly sang a birthday song for him which I ended soon for it was too embarrassing and he was making fun of me.

"Happy birthday." I greeted, smiling at him.

He studied me for a moment. His face and his eyes glowing from the candles. “I’m the birthday celebrant but I see you bought your own favorite cake instead.”

“Well, I don’t like your favorite coffee flavored cake. Come on, blow it so we can eat it already.”

 Chortling, he shook his and leaned forward. "Oh, Wait!" I said, stopping him from blowing the candles.

"What?"

"You have to make a wish." I grinned.

I noticed a smile on his lips as he slowly pulled back and silently stared at me again.

My only wish for you is to be happy, healthy and free of worries all your life, Seunghyun.

"Done." He muttered, clasping his hands together before he leaned forward, puckered his lips and blew the candles.

 “Happy birthday." I said again as I placed down the cake between us and reached over to him giving him a peck on his lips. When I eased back a little, he was just staring at me with a smile appearing at the corners of his lips.

"I love you." I murmured, looking at his mouth.

His small smile broadened as he lifted the cake and placed it on the bedside table.

I frowned.“Why? Don't you want to eat that? Do you really prefer the coffee—”

"I'm craving for something else, come here."

An involuntary squeal came out from me when he suddenly advanced on me and pushed me down on the soft bed.

“Hush, now. You don’t want to wake up Mr. Han who's sleeping in the next room, do you?” He asked, placing a hand over my mouth.

Laughing, I shook my head in response. “Good girl.” He responded, before he removed his hand. "What are you craving for?" I asked, gazing at him. I could feel the heat radiating from his body as he rested on top of me watching me. His one hand holding mine, pinning it against the bed while the other was brushing the hair covering my face.

"Something sweeter and spicy."

"Spicy?" I questioned, as I lifted my pelvis toward him and grinned.

"And hot." He added, pressing himself on me.

“Hot?” I asked, wrapping my legs around his hips.  

We laughed as we wriggled our brows and gave each other a knowing look. I placed a hand on his cheek and caressed it with my thumb. I could feel his breath as he slowly leaned down and teased me by slightly gliding his lips against mine.

Not long after, our huge smiles gradually disappeared and were replaced by some amorous expression we both illustrated.

“Kiss me.” I whispered urgently.

Without saying a word, he obliged, leaned down and smashed his lips over mine, allowing his tongue to immediately break in, deeply swirling and probing my insides. As he unpinned my hand, I wrapped my arms around his shoulder pulling and wanting him closer to me. My breath quickened as I moaned and felt his throbbing hardness through his boxer short. I could feel his hips grinding roughly on me giving me pleasure from the stimulation. It was amusing at how our movements were perfectly synchronize as his hands moved down to the hem of my top, lifting it up over my head before I arched my back and let him undo my bra.

Breaking our kiss, his warm hands enveloped my upper body freely burying his face to my neck down to my chest. His mouth tugging and cupping my bosom in such eagerness I could only clutched his shoulders and gasped in response. Crawling back up, he kissed my lips again and then rolled over until I was on top of him allowing me to dominate him. Our hands intertwined as I towered over him watching his satisfied expression as I slowly grinded on him, mimicking his action. His breathing increased as he groaned at the back of his throat. His eyes when he opened them and stared back at me was full of desire and passion I was feeling as well. Words weren’t even enough to describe the way my heart hammered rapidly in anticipation as he slid down my remaining undergarment, exposing every inch of my skin to him. Sitting up, he pushed himself on me and landed on top of me again kissing me hungrily and desperately. His mouth crashing roughly into mine, wanting and demanding for more. I could feel my back pressing deeply against the mattress when he pinned me down with his body. Skin against skin. Our chest heaved when we halted from our kiss. Hot breaths mingled as we take a breather and opened our eyes only to see the huge grin immediately lifting our lips as we gazed at each other lovingly. I played with his hair and gently nibbled his bottom lip before I tugged it in between my teeth. I could feel the burning desire of wanting him. Only him. And just like that, we forgot about the rest of the world and both lose ourselves to each other as we allow the strong emotions took over us.

“I love you.”

 We both said in unison as we collapsed in each other’s arms breathless and spent from our lovemaking.

It would be daylight in a few hours and it seemed that despite of what happened between us we still couldn’t fall asleep. Instead, we just silently lay on the bed, feeling the warmth of our bodies closed together. My head and my arm rested on his chest, enjoying the faint sound of his breathing. I could still feel the subtle ache in my delicate part but it was a sweet kind of pain. Opening my eyes, I looked up at him only to see him staring blankly at the ceiling as he absentmindedly played with my hair. “What are you thinking?” I asked, whispering.

He stared down at me for a while before he kissed my hair. “You.”

“Me? why?” I asked, sitting up.

“You’re not planning to go to sleep, are you?” He asked, as he sat up and leaned against the headboard.

I looked at the clock resting on the bedside table to check the time but something interesting caught my attention. Before I could even touch the black handgun, Seunghyun slapped my hand.

“Don’t touch that.” He scolded, as I rubbed the back of my hand.

 I watched him grabbed the weapon and inspected it carefully. “Is that what you always bring all the time?” I asked, curiously. He nodded.

“To protect me?”

He looked at me for a long moment as if he was assessing my question. I smiled at him in return but it disappeared quickly when his brows suddenly knitted together and his facial expression darkened. Suddenly, he lifted the gun, pointed the barrel in my forehead and pulled the hammer back with his thumb. I could feel the cold metal against my forehead as he said, “I never mentioned to you, right? How my father got imprisoned?” he asked.

I nodded slowly as I focused my attention on his face.

“That spent all of our money in gambling and drinking until he was buried in deep debt. So deep, he killed that idiot person who lend him the money. I was there when he did that. He pointed the gun at him, just like this.” He whispered sharply.    

I didn’t speak as the deafening silence surrounded us.

 “Are you scared of me now?” He asked after a long quietness.

I remained reticent watching his expression carefully. His jaw clenched, his mouth pressed in a hard line.  His eyes narrowed curiously when I reached for his hand holding the gun. With our eyes locked together, I inserted my thumb over his index finger that was resting at the trigger and without any hesitation, I pressed it and heard the click sound of an unloaded gun.

“You’re really stupid.” He said through his gritted teeth. “You could have died.” He scolded, scowling as he put the thing down on the table and the bullets he was holding in his other hand.

  I only smiled at him. “I know you wouldn’t do that to me.”

“Never ever put your one hundred percent trust on someone, Jen. Anyone can betray you just like my father.” He lectured.  

“Does that mean that you don’t trust me?” I asked, tilting my head to the side.  

He pursed his lips at that. “Except you.” He sighed. “Because I can see through you. I know you so well and how stupid you are.”

I silently watched him as he leaned against the headboard and rubbed his temples. Guilt written all over his face as he said, “I’m sorry I did that. Did I frighten you?” He asked, looking searchingly at me.

Shaking my head, “No. I know you’re not capable of hurting me.” 

He studied me carefully trying to see if I was lying before he reached for my face and kissed me on my lips. “Yes and I will always be here for you, Jen. To protect and to love you.” He whispered. 

“Really?” I asked, looking at his eyes. 

“Yes." 

"Promise?" I asked.

He chortled when I hold up my pinky finger. "Yes, promise. Cross my heart and hope to die." he said, intertwining his pinky on mine. 

 

I was immediately brought back to reality when the lights in the kitchen suddenly flickered on. I abruptly turned my head to the doorway that revealed a man I didn’t expect to see at this place and at this time of the night. “Jiyong?” I asked, my voice came out in a whisper.

He mirrored the confusion in my face as he looked at me. “Bom? Why are you still awake?”

I looked at him from head to toe trying to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating or drunk after drinking only a can of beer. When he stood across me and touched my face, I felt his warm hand that made me instantly realized something. “You’re supposed to be discharge tomorrow. What are you doing here? Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked, looking at his arm in a sling.  

“Why are you still awake and why are you drinking?” He asked, gesturing at the can of beer on the counter.

“Did Seungri drive you here?”

 “Aren’t you going to answer my questions?”

“Did the doctor allowed you to go home already?” I asked, looking at his lips that quirked up in a slight smile.

 Sighing, “Yes, my doctor allowed me, Seungri drive me here and I didn’t tell you about this because I wanted to surprise you but I was the one who got surprised instead. Now, answer my questions.”

“I can’t sleep.” I responded.

He studied me carefully before he eyed the empty can of beer and then stared at me again. “You don’t look fine. Is something wrong?” 

Swallowing, “No, nothing’s wrong . . .I’m . . . just tired.” I said, as I got up from my seat and threw the can of beer in the trash bin. 

When I looked over my shoulder he was extending his arm out to me, “Good. Come, let’s go to my bedroom I want to rest.”   

“What?” I asked, stepping back when he suddenly reached for my hand. He cocked his brow at me and then frowned. “What’s the matter?” 

“I’ll sleep in the guest room.” I said, taking another step back.

“You think I’ll allow that?” He questioned as he took a step forward.  “My room. Now.” He commanded, taking my hand.

 “Are you okay with that?” I asked and his frown deepened.

“okay with what?”

“have you forgotten your only rule in this house? You told me not to enter your bedroom.”

Realization suddenly flickered on his face as he let go of my hand. “I wish you obey me as much as you obey that only rule, Park Bom.” He sighed. “Of course that doesn’t apply to you now. Are you telling me you haven’t gone into my room? I left it open. Come and don’t argue with me I’m not feeling well.” He said, as he took my hand again.

As we walked past the kitchen, living room and upstairs, I stared at his hand warm hand intertwined against mine and then to him. He said he wasn't feeling well but the happy smile on his lips made me doubt that. "park bom why are you staring at me?" He muttered, looking at me through the corner of his eye. 

"Nothing." I said, looking away.

I felt him squeezed my hand lightly as we stepped on the last staircase. "Is Miyoung's already asleep?" he asked, stopping in front of his daughter's bedroom.

Nodding, "Yes, are you going to see her?"

"I'll just check her. Wait for me here." He responded, as he disentangles his hands on mine. "

After five minutes of waiting outside, he came out again and gestured at me to follow him. His bedroom was just a few steps away from his daughter's that by the time we reached it and Jiyong opened the door, I suddenly became aware of the cool gentle breeze that greeted us. 

The master’s bedroom reminded me so much of his bedroom in Gangwondo. The walls were in a shades of grey and the floorings were colored in brown. When Jiyong adjusted the dimness of the lights, I looked up and only then, noticed the false ceiling with led lights around it hanging so beautifully at the center. The cool breeze that I felt upon arriving a while ago was coming from the opened French door that led to the balcony. Despite of these earthy colors and beautiful modern furniture I didn’t miss the woman’s touch in the interior design. The floral vintage wallpaper over the bed and the white vanity in the corner already gave way to it. Memories that were in a form of photos and images taken years back were neatly framed and hanged on the walls and some were placed on top of the drawers. As I stood over the cabinet, I eyed their wedding picture hanged at the center. Jiyong was in a tuxedo while his wife was wearing a strapless chiffon wedding dress.  She was beautiful. They were standing side by side with her arm hooked around his. Alongside that picture were their other photos. My eyes widened a little upon seeing two little kids, probably a year older than Miyoung, sitting on a swing looking so happy together. We were childhood friends and the fact the we grew up together and spent half of our lives knowing each other contributed a lot to why we ended up falling in love with each other. I suddenly remembered what Jiyong said. Seeing that picture felt like seeing Miyoung and Jiyong as little kids. When she grew up, she would find the picture very amusing. Moving on, I surveyed the other pictures close by. Some were taken when they were probably still teenagers. There were pictures of them kissing and hugging affectionately, pictures taken during their vacation, anniversaries, Christmas. I could tell when it was taken for their clothing, the surroundings and the cakes and banners made me knew it. There were a few of solo and candid pictures as well of his beautiful wife displayed in a multi photo frame on the wall. And then suddenly, I stopped and stared at the photo that caught my eye. It was the white Gazebo Pavilion in the orphanage. In the picture, Jiyong was kneeling on the floor, his one hand reaching out to hers. It wasn’t hard to know what he was doing for the image was enough to convey a beautiful story.

 The time he proposed to her.

Based on how he looked nervous and how his wife looked teary eyed, I could tell that he was in the midst of asking the billion-dollar question.    

Realizing I had been looking too much, I turned around and was startled to see Jiyong sitting on a reading chair, just silently staring at me. His elbow propped on the armrest and his chin resting on his palm. I was too immersed I had forgotten he was with me all this time. I remained standing in my position wondering what he was thinking and wondering what to say to him. 

“Are you uncomfortable with the pictures?” He asked, after a long silence.

“No.” I said, shaking my head.  

I wasn’t uncomfortable it was his gaze that was making me uncomfortable. Smiling, he stood up and stride forward before he stopped across me. “You’ve been silent since you came here, Bom.” He said, caressing my cheek.

“I was just looking around. This bedroom is really nice, I like it.” I explained, leaning against the cabinet.

“Really? I actually hated this before.” He chuckled softly. “Look at that floral wallpaper. She insisted on placing that because she liked it but I didn’t want it.”  He said, as he kissed my cheek. I swallowed suddenly feeling the tingly sensation at the pit of my stomach.

“I guess you didn't win.” I muttered, looking at his eyes. He smiled and nodded. “I hate hospitals.” He suddenly said. I could feel his arm wrapping around my waist as he pulled me closer and buried his face at the side of my neck. “It brings back sad memories.”  He whispered. “The only time I enjoyed being there is when you and Miyoung come for a visit.”

“Is that why you decided to come home at this time?”

“Yes.” He said, as he slightly pulled away and stared at me, meeting my gaze. “Plus, I know you’re here. You know how much I like to spend my time with you, right?” He continued, as he left feather light kisses on my lips. My breath probably smelled like beer which made me self-conscious as I slightly pushed him away. He noticed it and instead of putting a distance, he remained closed and suddenly locked his lips with mine sending butterflies to my stomach.  

“Are you sure, it doesn’t bother you? The pictures, I mean.” He asked, pulling away.  

“Not being rude but I don’t see how these pictures are different to displaying my grandma’s picture in my apartment.” I said, looking at the smile that formed in his lips.

“Thank you.” He muttered, tracing his thumb over my mouth. 

"For what?" I asked. 

"For being so understanding, for accepting me, for listening to me when I talked about my wife to you and for not judging me like right now." 

Smiling, I gently patted his shoulder and said, "Don't thank me. I understand." 

JIYONG

“And besides, pictures are beautiful memories, treasures and sweet reminders of beautiful events that once happened in your life. She’s a part of your life and a part of who you are which I have come to admire and accept. Just because a chapter of a person we dearly loved ended, doesn’t mean that we have to forget them or stop loving them as well. You chose me. I chose you. And I know that no matter what I do, I will not be able to replace her in your heart. I can only start a new chapter with you and build new memories with you.”

Pouring herself another glass of wine, I watched Bom gulped the entire thing again before she wiped with the back of her hand. We were sitting on the bed sharing an almost empty bottle wine while talking about my late wife. I told her that I suddenly missed her and she understood it and allowed me to talk about her. She was such a good listener that it made me feel better. And now, I couldn’t help but be amused at how she had gotten so talkative. I knew it was the liquor’s doing that made her suddenly like that but I was glad I allowed her to drink it. I loved the way her mind functioned when she was sober but I also enjoyed watching her when she was a bit drunk. If I could describe it, she was more honest, unrestrained and open to me. I just asked her if the pictures bothered her and she already did all the talk.

“Thank you, Park bom.” I said, watching her.

She was sitting across me. Her bare legs stretched over the bedding and crossed to her ankles. I didn’t even notice her wearing a cotton short that exposed her thighs until she sat on the bed earlier.

“Park Bom.” She suddenly said, making me move my gaze from her legs to her eyes. “I like the sound of my name on you. Do you know that?” She asked, tilting her head to the side.

She was so endearing to watch I couldn’t help but smile. “I don’t know. Really?”

“Mm.” She nodded.

“Bom. Park Bom. I like the way you call me affectionately and even the way you yell my name when you’re angry or upset at me. Why do you do that anyway?”

“Do what?” I asked, suddenly confused.

“Yell at me.” She said, letting out a sigh. “You always get mad at me. Always nag me.”

Frowning, “I don’t. you’re the one who always gets mad at me.”

She scoffed before she gulped her drink like water“But despite that I find you annoying sometimes, I still like that.” She paused for a moment.  Placing down the empty glass beside her, she hugged her legs to her chest and rested her chin to her knees as she stared at me. Her eyes reflected the gleaming lights coming from the floor lamp and her cheeks flushed red. She looked beautiful. I could stare at her and admire her all night.

“Do you like me, Bom?” I asked, looking at her.

A smile lifted the corners of her lips. “How about you?” She questioned.

Smirking, “Yes, I like you. A lot.”

She only offered a small smile before she said, “Miyoung and I baked cookies earlier.”

The sudden changed of topic amused and quite surprised me. “Oh, really?”

She nodded before she rested her chin on her knees again. As she pursed her lips and stared at me with her shimmering eyes, I could tell she wanted to tell me something but was hesitating about it.

“She had a lot of fun doing it.” She paused, watching me intently.

Leaning against the headboard, “That’s good to know.” I responded, not really sure if that was the only thing she wanted to say.

“And then . . . you know. . . “She trailed off. 

“And then what?” I asked, patiently waiting for her.

“You know, she hugged me and told me that I’m the best.”

Taken aback at what I heard, “she did that?”

She smiled and bobbed her head up and down. “I was really surprised I had no idea what to do in the beginning.” She chuckled, softly. “I wanted to call you and tell it to you earlier because I knew you’re going to like that but I’ve figured it would be better to tell it to you personally.” She continued. I could sense the excitement in her voice and it made me smile at her.

“How did you feel about that?” I asked, curiously.

She had gone silent for a moment as she got lost in her thoughts again. “delighted and relieved. Lately, Miyoung’s making me do things that are strangely new for me but . . . but I find it very pleasant.” She said. 

There was a stillness that suddenly surrounded us as we halted from our conversation and took our time just staring at each other.

 “Could you tell me a story about yourself?” I asked, not letting my eyes away from her.

“What do you want to know?” She asked, blinking.  

“Anything about you. Your interests, your hobbies, your favorite food, your life, your dreams.”

She looked at me thoughtfully before she said, “I used to play a piano.”

That sparked an interest on me for I didn’t expect that. “Really?” I asked.

 Nodding, “It was something very special to me for my mother, who used to play in an orchestra, was the one who taught me. I remember watching her play it when I was a kid and it only stopped when a very unfortunate event happened. She got in the very same accident and scenario as you. She saved someone too but unfortunately, she didn’t get lucky.” She paused, swallowing.

I knew about the passing of her parents for she had already mentioned it to me a long time ago but I had no idea about the cause of their deaths. Now that I knew what happened to her mother, it made me suddenly realized one thing.

No wonder. No wonder she was so worried about me.

“One time I came home from school, I was already a teenager then and I started to play the grand piano in our house. I missed her so I played it. At that time, I had no idea my dad was just in the study area that he heard the sound I was making. He got so mad at me for playing it and at me for touching the piano that he grabbed the nearest thing he could find. Unfortunately, it was a steel bar.” She chuckled, shaking her head. I watched her as she tightened her arms around her legs like a kid scared of something.

Her voice was almost a whisper as she furrowed her brows and said, “He was so angry he smashed it on the piano keys which accidentally hit my hands that were still resting on it. It was so painful I almost thought my knuckles broke at the impact.” When she met my gaze, she smiled at me. A sad smile that tugged something in my chest. “I knew he didn’t mean to do it for I saw the pain in his eyes as well especially when I didn’t cry because I knew he hated that. My father, you see was really strict to me and rarely showed any emotions to me. I remember after that he just asked one of the helpers in our house to have me check in the hospital.” She said, looking at her fingers. “Thankfully, I didn’t receive any permanent physical damage except for the broken piano that I didn’t use again after that event.”

I remained silent not knowing what to say to her. I was a father as well and I couldn’t imagine myself doing the same thing to my own daughter.  

Unwrapping her arms, she stretched her legs over the mattress before she lay down on her stomach and tilted her head up looking me. “I don’t have a favorite food but from time to time I crave for corn and breads.”

“Corn and breads?” I asked, as I leaned down and kissed her forehead hoping it would console her.

She nodded. “What about you? What do you like?”

I couldn’t help but chuckle at the way she interestedly asked me that question. “I don’t really have any favorite as long as it’s edible, I like it.” I responded.

“Did you enjoy the breakfast I made to you earlier?”

It was funny how it was already past midnight and yet, we were discussing about the breakfast she made for me yesterday. “Yes and I’ve always enjoyed your food, Bom.”

She only smiled in return. “I’m glad you came home tonight.” She said, surprising me.

“why?” I asked.

“Because I like spending my time with you as well.” She said, as she sat up again and moved closer to me. I caressed her cheek with my right hand and then kissed her.

 “Do you like me, Park Bom?”

 “I’ve answered that already before when we were at the orphanage, right?” She responded, a playful smile tugging her lips.  “But I want to hear it again.” I murmured against . “Say it.” When I attempted to kiss her again, she purposely pulled back obviously teasing me. She easily removed my hand on her arm as she  put a distance between us. 

“bom, this is not the right time to act so coy.” I said, motioning at her to come near me.

I had no idea what she was trying to do as she got up, stood over the bed and staggered a little unable to find her balance.

“You’re drunk.” I realized, chuckling.

“I’m not.” She retorted, frowning at me.  

What she did next made me gulped hard. “wha-what are you doing?” I asked, as I watch her slowly pulled down the zipper of her oversized hoodie.  The mischievous smirk on her lips made me grabbed my glass of wine from the bedside table and swallowed the entire liquid in one shot.

“It’s hot and stuffy here.”

If that was a complain, it didn’t sound like a complain at all.

“It’s because you’ve drank too much. You’ll get cold later if you remove that.”

“It’s okay, you’re warm anyway.” She said her voice slowly coming out in a slur.

I laughed as I watched her in amusement. She is going to regret this tomorrow.

“Still, you have to keep that on.” I insisted.

“Oh, Shut up. I think you’re the one who’s acting coy right now.” She commanded, surprising me.

“Don’t blame me tomorrow. I’ve warned you.” I said, as I leaned back, took the joy of watching her as she successfully ped her jacket, took it off before she dramatically threw it on my face blocking my sight. When I removed it, my brows rose in slight surprised seeing her wearing a red fitted sleeveless tank top.

Chuckling, “Park Bom, do you know what you are doing right now?” I asked, watching her as she sat at the edge of the bed still beyond my reach. “Of all times to act like this you chose now?” I asked.  

“I bet you wished you’re not injured right now, am I right?” she asked, raising a brow at me.

“You’re right. So stop moving away from me and come here.”

Fortunately, she didn’t resist as she moved closer and lay down next to me. Her head resting on my right arm. “I wish my other arm is not injured. Consider yourself lucky this time because if I’m well you won’t find yourself just lying down here and —” Realizing she suddenly got silent, I peered down at her and scoffed when I saw her already in deep sleep.

“After seducing me you’re just going to sleep?” I muttered in disbelief. Her brows twitched as she groaned slightly, snuggled next to me and put her arm around me. I watched her for a good minute just admiring her face and her beauty. She looked so comfortable and safe in my arms.

 “I wish you would also come to me like this when you’re awake.” I whispered, kissing her forehead.

An hour after she fell asleep, I still found myself wide awake just staring silently at the pictures in my room, at the ceiling and Bom who kept on stirring on the bed. It was the first time I brought a woman again on this bed, in my room after my wife passed away.

What do you think of her? She’s beautiful, right? Like what you want me to do, I’ve found someone else again. I never thought it’s possible but here I am, falling for her. Are you happy for me?  I talked in my head as I stared at her pictures on the walls.

Turning my attention again to the woman who had her back turned against me, I was about to pull the blanket to cover her when I noticed the scar on her lower shoulder. I slightly touched it with fingertips and sighed. I only know that it came from a fire accident but never really had any idea of what really happened.

It was when I decided to sit up and noticed her phone on the floor. Picking it up, I was just planning to place it on the bedside table when I pressed the button and noticed there was no password in it. The temptation of going through her phone didn’t seem right but still, I found myself looking over my shoulder checking if she was still sleeping before I finally slid my thumb over the screen opening her phone.

And in the end, i ended up not being able to sleep after reading a lot of things that made me surprised, perplexed, angry and worried.

I know your intention is good and that you just want to help me but I will come to you willingly when I really need it, Jiyong.

Her voice echoed in my head. Now I knew what she meant by that.  

Letting out a sigh, I sat at the edge of the bed as I stared down at her sleeping so peacefully.

“Why aren’t you telling me the truth, Bom?” I whispered.  

 

 

 

 

Thank You for reading! :)