Chapter 3

Follow Your Heart

 

After another thirty minutes Dara finally saw a driveway. She almost missed it because there was no mailbox, but she saw tracks in the mud indicating that someone had pulled in or out since it started snowing. Dara walked up the driveway, which seemed to go on forever now that she thought she had found safety at last. Apparently, the owner of the house that came into view liked their privacy. The house was large and it had a high stone fence encircling it. Dara didn't care what she had to do, she needed to get into this house or she was going to freeze to death. She walked up to the gate and rang the bell.

"Yes, may I help you?" came the man's voice from the speaker.

"I am sorry to bother you, my car broke down on the road about an hour or two's walk from here. I am freezing and I can't get any cell phone service. I was hoping to be able to use a phone to call for help. Please, it is really cold." Dara said into the intercom.

"Hang on" came the terse response. The gate opened and Dara made her way in. A door opened in the small guard house next to the fence and a man came out. "Come in here for a moment while I call the main house and make sure it is okay for you to go on up there. It is warm in here, so you will be able defrost a little until I find out. May I have your name please."

"Thank you so much. My name is Dara Park. I can't tell you how grateful I am for you letting me warm up." She told him as the warmth of the room hit her.

"Hey, no problem. You looked like you were going to die of exposure or shake yourself off the the planet, you were shivering so much. Here, my wife sent some coffee with me tonight, please share a cup with me." The man was huge, obviously a bodyguard. He had more muscles than some of the bodybuilders Dara had seen on beach. He defiantly would scare away any but the most diehard attackers with just a look, but his voice when he spoke told a different story. He had a kind voice, and the way he was looking at her was like he was genuinely worried.

"I would love some coffee." Dara said as she took off her wet coat. She had not realized how cold she was until she had a chance to stop. Now she felt like she was chilled to the bone.

She heard the man on the phone. "Hey, boss, this is Youngbae at the front gate. I got a woman down here named Dara Park, her car broke down and she seems to have been walking a while. Her phone isn't working and needs a place to warm up and dry off. I was wondering if I could bring her up there and try to see if there is anyone who will come out here in this weather to help her." Dara listened to the one sided conversation.

 

"Yes,sir, she is young, around 25 I'd say. Sure she is pretty. She is also a little blue from the cold." Youngbae was smiling at her.

"Okay, I will send her right up. Thanks." Youngbae hung up the phone. "I think he is looking at the video from the front gate and knows you were listening so decided to try to embarrass me. He is a great guy, don't let him mess with you too much. I have worked for him for a long time he seems like a horrible monster, but he is a teddy bear at heart." Youngbae said, seeming to be talking a little loudly.

"You aren't supposed to be telling my secrets. I am a horrible monster, Dara, don't believe him." Dara could hear the laughter in the melodic voice that came out of nowhere. Youngbae was laughing.

"Sorry, sir, were you listening, I didn't realize." He said.

"Yeah, I am sure. Please send the young lady up. I believe we can get her some dry clothes. I have Bom calling around to the garages, but no one will come out because of the snow. Apparently, we are in for a nice little ice storm. Please be careful that you don't get lost on you way up after your shift. I would hate to have to explain your mysterious disappearance to Bom. For some reason, she seems to like you a little." They heard a click as the intercom shut off.