Chapter 13

Follow Your Heart

 

"Sorry, man, I wasn't thinking straight." Jiyong said as he moved away. He was still holding her though.

 

That was one of the things Dara was coming to love about being with him. He made her feel like she was the only person in the room, and she was the only person that mattered.

 

Dara could list a whole page of things she was coming to love about him, but it all came down to one thing, she was falling in love with him. She couldn't tell him though. Surely he didn't feel the same way as she did.

 

They had known each other less than a week. She would just keep it to herself and try not to wear her heart on her sleeve.

 

They made it back to Busan around dinner time. Dara called her parents and told them that Jiyong was going to be with her, as well as Youngbae and Bom.

 

They pulled the limo into the driveway of the house Dara had called home all her life. Most would say it was a mansion, with eleven bedrooms, nine bathrooms, an indoor and outdoor pool, and a yard that took an entire five acres, but to her it was just home.

 

She knew how lucky she was to have all this, and she didn't just take it for granted, but the house was her home where she had grown up, had birthday parties, sleepovers, and holiday family get togethers. She was surprised to see Bom and Younbae's faces as they made their way up the front door.

 

 

"So, this is how the other half lives, nice. I bet you got a new car for your sweet sixteenth and maybe a trust fund for your eighteenth." Youngbae said.

 

"Actually, my parents made me work for their company when I turned fifteen and could get a work permit, I only got paid what one of their entry level administrative assistants got paid, and I used the money I saved to buy a used car. As far as a trust fund, yes I have one, but I haven't used it.

 

I take the yearly dividends from it and put it into my charity. I still live here, but I worked out an agreement to pay rent to my parents monthly based on the going rate for an apartment in this surrounding area. But I did get a pony for my tenth birthday.

 

" Dara told him as they walked up the porch. She had always been a little touchy about everyone assuming she had everything handed to her just because her parents had money.

 

Her father had started his company when he got out of high school and had married her mother soon after. Both her parents had put their heart and soul into making the company work, and it had taken years before they were successful.

 

 

After they were sure it was not going to fail, they had her, but she was an only child. Her parents had decided that Dara needed to learn the value of hard work, so they had given her a job at fifteen, making her clock in and giving her warnings about being late or missing work, even when they knew the reasons behind it. It had made her appreciate the things she had more when she could pay for them with money she had earned rather than the money that was just given to her.

 

 

"Cool, for my eighteenth birthday, I got a payout from the government stating I was an adult and they weren't going to take care of me anymore, and the foster mom telling me I could stay there, but they were getting a new kid in and didn't have room for me anymore."Youngbae said, seeming jealous.

 

Dara put her hand on Youngbaes arm. "I am sorry, I don't mean to throw this in your face. It is not a fair world we live in. I know I was lucky,and I won't tell you that having this has it's problems too, because I am sure my worries growing up were nothing compared to what you dealt with.

 

Please do not blame me for society not taking care of it's children."

 

"I'm not, sometimes I just wish I could have had just a sample of what it was like. I didn't get into the system until I was thirteen.

 

 

 

My parents were druggies, and forgot I was around most of the time. I had to scrounge around for food. At least they didn't beat me, I met several kids whose parents would tear into them when they ran out of drugs. I guess I was lucky on that one." Youngbae said.

 

 

Dara was learning a lot about the foster care system. Jiyong had told her one of the homes he was in had used the kids as slaves essentially, making them do all the work and then locking them into their rooms, except when there was an inspection, then they paraded them around and made sure they were clean and fed.