Chapter 14

Follow Your Heart

 

Dara led the group through the mezzanine into the family room. Her parents were there, waiting for them. Her father stood up and came to greet them. "Hello, I am Park Minhyuk and this is my wife Minyoung." He held out his hand.

 

"Nice to meet you, sir. I am Kwon Jiyong, and this is Youngbae and Bom ." Jiyong shook hands with Dara's father.

 

"Thank you for rescuing my daughter. Dara tells me you are a singer, I do believe I have heard of you. You do a lot of screaming at the top of your lungs, right?" Dara hoped that Jiyong could see the laughter in her father's eyes, he wasn't trying to insult Jiyong.

 

"Wow, you have heard my music. I am sure it is on a heavy rotation in you CD player." Jiyong had caught on.

 

Dara's father laughed loudly. "Have you eaten yet? Minyoung just finished making supper, and we were waiting for you to eat."

 

"That sounds great. We were thinking about grabbing something on the way in, but Dara said that we might be able to mooch a meal off of you, so I thought we might as well wait." Jiyong told him.

 

"A free meal wins out every time, a man after my own heart. Come on, we are going to eat at the family table instead of the formal dining room. I didn't want you rock star types to get crazy and decide to try to break my good china like you do your guitars." Minhyuk told them.

 

 

"Now see, how am I going to keep my reputation if you don't let trash something." Jiyong was obviously enjoying joking with Dara's father.

 

"Tell you what, if you can behave through supper, I have this horribly ugly vase thing that someone gave us for Christmas, I'll let you break that." He told him.

 

"Minhyuk, quit it. I have a dish set if you want to break something. This miser won't let me get a new set until this one is gone, and I hate the pattern." Minyoung said from behind them.

 

"My mother gave that set to us." Minhyuk told her.

 

"I know, dear." Minyoung said laughing.

 

The group had a nice meal, everyone talking and joking over the home cooked meal. Dara's father had already had Jiyong checked out, discreetly of course, and seemed to like what he had learned. Jiyong finally pushed his plate back and leaned back in his chair.

 

"Mrs. Park, if you ever decide to leave your old man, I will pay you to travel with me and cook."

 

"Aren't you a sweetie. I doubt if I will be leaving him any time soon though. I have him trained now, I refuse to leave him and let some other woman benefit from all the work I have put into him." She said.

 

"Okay, that is enough of this Mr Park and Mrs. Park mess. I am Minhyuk and this is Minyoung. It makes me feel old." Minhyuk told the group.

 

 

"Your not old, Dad. You are still in the prime of your life." Dara told him. "By the way, mom, did you pay his AARP dues this month?"

 

"Look young lady, I can still take you on in any game you choose. As long as I get my nap midway through, I'm good." Minhyuk told her.

 

"You two don't start. Now that we have all eaten, please clarify what you said on the phone earlier about a cover story for your meeting." Minyoung asked Dara.

 

Dara explained about Jiyong not wanting anyone to find out about where he went to hide, and the story they had come up with to explain their meeting and how they were now dating. Minyoung listened quietly to the story.

 

"That should not be a problem at all. I will enjoy seeing the women at the club's faces when they find out you are dating Jiyong rather than some of the other guys you have in the past."

 

"Mom, don't start, please. I know you didn't like Donghae. I will admit you were right. There were signs but I didn't see them. But I am over him now." Dara said, embarrassed that her parents would bring this up in front of Jiyong, Bom, and Youngbae.

 

"Sweetheart, we only want what is best for you. We don't want to interfere though. I am allowed to say I told you so after the fact." Minhyuk said turning to Jiyong.

 

"I hope you don't mind, but I have had you investigated, I am sure you will understand if you ever have a daughter.

 

Not to burst your bubble, but I found out a lot of the things that you have built your reputation on are a lie."