Chapter 2

Follow Your Heart

 

"I may take you up on that. You have mine also. I can get you out of jail and give you a job to show you are a productive member of the community and didn't mean for him to fall under the wheels of your car as you drove down the sidewalk." Eunjo joked back.

"Oh, that would be a good one, I have to add that to my list." Dara said. Suddenly on impulse she reached over and hugged the woman who had become more of a friend to her in two weeks that most of the people she had been around most of her life. With a last wave goodbye, she walked out to her car. Putting her suitcase into the small area behind the seat, she gunned the engine of the small two-seater and headed off down the road.

 

Dara had driven for an hour down the winding mountain roads, she was not encountering very much traffic, and had a straight road, so she decided to try gunning the car. It was a sports car after all so why not drive it like one. She picked up speed quickly as the engine seemed to purr its approval. All the sudden, the engine gave a little jerking cough, and the car slowed to a stop and died. Dara knew nothing about cars, all she knew was how to pump gas, and the dates to take the car in for maintenance checks she couldn't believe this, she was in the middle of nowhere, no houses for the last twenty minutes, no cars driving through, and all the sudden, this had to happen.

She grabbed her cell phone out of her purse. "No signal, of course," she said, tossing it into the other seat, "so much for more coverage than any other company." Dara out of the car and began the walk back the way she came. Maybe she could find a driveway that she had missed on the drive through. The weather was starting to feel colder, and the sky was darkening. Dara hoped she would not have to deal with a rainstorm as well. It was late fall, and the weather in the mountains could become nasty quick. If there was a storm, she hoped it would be just a rain and not snow and ice.

 

 

This was not how she wanted to go, freezing to death on a deserted mountain road because her car broke down. She could just imagine how much fun the press would have with that. They would say she had let herself die because she couldn't live with a broken heart. That was the odd part though, she suddenly realized as she walked.

She was upset that Donghae had cheated on her. She was angry that he had made such a public spectacle of himself. She was embarrassed by the publicity, but she really couldn't say she had gotten her heart broken. Dara was beginning to realize she had never been in love with Donghae, she just had done what everyone had told her was the right thing to do. Maybe she should call Donghae when she got home and tell him thanks for stopping the engagement before it turned into a messy divorce, with both of them realizing they didn't love each other. If she survived this, it was getting colder and she could feel in the change in the atmosphere signaling that it was going to start raining or snowing soon.

After walking for almost an hour, Dara was ready to give up. Still no cell phone service and it was beginning to snow. Dara was glad that she had worn comfortable sneakers with her jeans and sweater. She had decided to go for comfort rather than style, deciding she could change into something more fashionable right before she got back to her house. She had to decide whether to keep going or head back to her car, hoping someone would come along and be able to help. Dara decided she might as well keep walking, as she hadn't seen even one car in the hour she had been walking, she doubted if any would be coming out now, especially since the weather was getting so bad.