Chapter 06

Zero Gravity
"Faster!"

Amber ran a hand through her hair. "Any second slower and you'd have your head whipped!"

She and Joon are in the backyard where she's trying to train him in combat. At first she was impressed when he told her he had learned taekwondo and self defense but the minute she sent Kibum to test him, she knew all that was a lie. "Come on, just admit you lied about learning karate."

Joon fell onto the ground and winced as he touched his jaw. "Hey, tone it down a little, Key, could you!" Kibum shrugged and adjusted his clothes as he came over to Amber. "He could face Krystal and still get beaten by her."

"I heard that," Joon got up and dusted his pants. "Of course, I'll let her win. I don't fight girls." He snorted as he looked over at the scowling Krystal. "Sorry dear, but that's the truth."

"I'll prove it to you that I can beat you," Krystal re-tied her hair in a tight knot. "Don't be so smug." She turned to face her sister. "Amber unni, can I?"

Amber was quiet for a moment before turning back, walking towards the house. "No."

"What?!"

"Even she doesn't believe you'll beat me." Joon stood next to her, smiling smugly. "Don't waste your time."

She ignored him and went after Amber and Kibum. "Unni! Let me do this. I can do it!"

"No." Amber answered firmly. "Oppa!" She tugged Kibum's arm. "Persuade unni, please! I can do it!"

"I said no, Krystal," Amber looked at her. "You maybe better at him in combat skills but he's a guy and he could just use brute force to win over you. Listen to me Krys, let it go. You'll get your chance when the day comes. Ok?"

"She's right." Krystal stared at Kibum as he agreed with her. "But you were the one who said I could beat him!"

"Unni! Oppa!" She called after them and stomped her feet. "I'll never get to try out my skills on someone."

"Just give it up, baby girl," Joon rested his arm on her shoulder as he stood behind her. "You can't get past me."

"Shut up." She jabbed her elbow into his abdomen and swept her feet under him, causing him to fall on his back. "You still think it that way?"

"You're asking for it," Joon smirked. "Show me what you have."

Krystal took a few steps back and moved. Joon was expecting her as she came in from the right but she caught him off guard when she changed her position, aiming his left at the last minute. He felt a sharp pain coming from his ribs and staggered slightly. "Now you're getting it." His playfulness evaporated.

She kicked him twice in the chest and had him kneeling, coughing. She took this opportunity to corner him and as she came close to him, he snapped out of his 'coughing' position and stretched his arms to grabbed hold of her waist, intending to overthrow her but she danced out of his grasp. He reacted quickly and caught her arm, flipping her over. Krystal was groaning on the ground and didn't get up. "Now, look who's the winneR-ARGHHH.."

"What on earth are you doing!" Amber had grabbed hold of one of Joon's hand twisted it in a non-natural direction, having him in a wristlock. "Why did you do that?"

"She started it," Joon managed to reply through the pain. "She made the first move!"

"You should be smart enough to ignore her. She's just ended her training." Amber twisted his hand a little more. "Ow! Let go! Let go!" He winced and massage where it hurts after she released him.

"Krys?" She helped her up. "How do you feel?"

"My back feels so sore. YOU!" Krystal rubbed her back, walking over to Joon. "You didn't have to throw me over. I'm a girl, you know. And you said you don't fight girls!" She pushed him when she said that. "That was then but we're talking about now. You pissed me off that's why." Joon retorted.

"Stop it both of you!" Amber separated them and flexed her fingers. "This is for not listening to me." She flicked their foreheads and both howled from the pain. "You won't do this again, right?" Krystal nodded with tears forming in her eyes. "And you?" She turned to face Joon who ignored her and gave him another flick at the same spot. "I won't do it again!"

"Punishment. Both of you. 50 squats. Now."
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
"That was close." A man dressed in a grey outfit said behind his helmet as he readjusted his gear. "I'm been out too many times." He told his partner next to him while glancing down his outfit filled with coloured paints.

"That's because you at it." His friend put his arm around his shoulder. "It hurts too, Junsu." He whined, shrugging off his friend's arm. "Come on, it can't be that bad, Youngsoo."

"Try being the target of dozens of paintballs," Youngsoo retorted. "Let's see whether it's gonna hurt."

"Like I said," Junsu peered over the bushes and shot at an opposing team member, a yellow spot formed when the paintball met its target. "That's because you ." The opponent took off his helmet and walked off, cursing along the way.

"How many times were you out of a game?" He looked around Junsu's outfit. "3 times. Why?"

"That's it," Youngsoo shifted closer to him. "I'm following you throughout this game. I don't want to 'die' just yet."

Junsu laughed and turned around abruptly when he heard a sound, his paintball gun at ready. "You hear that?"

"What? I didn't hear anything," Youngsoo looked around for the opposing team.
 
 
~~
 
 
"What are you doing?!" Amber hissed at Joon as she pulled him down onto the ground with her.

The man turned around when he heard the sound of a broken twig that Joon stepped on. "I'm just trying to get a better view," he hissed back at her. Both of them lay low and kept quiet until the man turned back to the front. "That was close."

"Duh," Amber rolled her eyes.

"So what are we doing now?" He lifted his head off the ground.

"Watch," She positioned her sniper rifle, looking into the telescopic sight. "And learn."
 
 
~~
 
 
"Hey, lemme get that one." Youngsoo raised his gun and aimed at the wandering opponent. "Ahah! It hit him! My first! Take that!" He was shaking his fist as if he won the game.

"Calm down. You're gonna blow our cover." Junsu smacked the back of his head, looking out for movements.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," he ignored him and was silently congratulating himself when suddenly Junsu fell into the bush, face first. "YAH!" Youngsoo turned around and shouted into the empty forest setting where the paintball game was held at. "They said not to aim for the head! Didn't you listen to the referee?!"

"I guess you're not so good after all," he teased his friend and brought him back to an upright position. "Hey," he shook the unresponsive Junsu. "Are you alright?" Red crimson liquid stained his fingers as he took off Junsu's headgear. He had an uneasy feeling and tried to convinced himself. "That's just red paint," he laughed awkwardly to himself. "That's not blood, right, Junsu?"

"F%ck!" He grabbed his right leg in pain when a bullet pierced into it and was shocked when he saw the sight of blood gushing out of his wound. "Help! HELP!!" Panic was overwhelming him and he was starting to hyperventilate. "HELP!" He wheezed. "Anyone!"
 
 
~~
 
 
"Wow, that was cool!" Joon said when the man Amber aimed at fell forward from the impact of the bullet as it went through his head.

"Come," Amber pushed herself away from the ground. She gave the gun to Joon to hold and started off in the direction of their car. "Hurry."

"Can I try this?" Joon stared at the gun in amazement. "Huh?" He looked up and Amber was nowhere to be found. He grinned to himself and went back to the spot they were at a minute before. He looked into the telescopic sight and was debating where to aim at. He looked on as the man took off the dead man's headgear and finally decided his aim. The vibration and the power of the gun sent shocks to his body after pulling the trigger.

"Damn." Joon felt exhilarated and was aiming for the second time at the squirming man on the ground.

"Don't you dare pull the trigger again!" Amber came running towards him when she realised he didn't follow her back to the car.

"This gun is awesome." Joon said when he saw her and pointed towards the man. "Good eh?"

"Get up and follow me." Amber groaned in frustration and took back the gun. "I didn't pass you the gun to play around with."

"What?" Joon walked next to her and tried to match her brisk walk. "It's not like I killed him like you did with the first guy."

"That's my job. I had to kill him." Amber tried to keep her temper in check, taking in deep breaths. "But the second guy is nothing, he's not part of the job description. So why did you do that?"

"I just wanted to try out the gun," He shrugged his shoulders and his pace slowed when the car was in sight. "That's all."

"The only thing that's keeping me back from punching you," She placed the gun in the back seat of the all black, dark tinted Land Rover. "Is that I'm trying to get us out of this place before someone finds out about us."

"Oh really," Joon inched closer to her as she turned to face him with her arms crossed. "You sure it's not my charms that are holding you back?" He moved in and his lips were next to her ear. "I am after all lusted by a lot of girls, including the twins." He taunted her further by kissing the spot below her ear, his lips lingering there as he awaits a reaction. "So?"

Amber said nothing and moved away from him, walking towards for the drivers' side. "Come on, don't tell me you didn't feel anything from it? That move always work with girls." He reached out and pulled her back by her waist.

"That's it!" She finally blew her top. "Stop touching me!" She pushed his hands away.

Amber punched him in the gut and kicked his shin. "What do you take me for huh?" She stared at him. "You think every single girl you meet would fall head over heels just because of your good looks?" She did a kick which made him fall clumsily onto the ground. "You don't have respect for me at all when you did that!"

"What about you!" Joon got back onto his feet. "You don't respect me at all even if I'm your employer's brother."

"So what if you're Donghae's brother?" Amber barked at him. "Doesn't mean anything to me."

"Ok, scratch that." He looked at her. "I'm at least older than you, shouldn't that reason be enough?"

Amber's anger isn't backing down anytime soon and grabbed his arm and flipped him over, landing him on his back, the exact same movement he did to Krystal.

"If you want my respect," She said quietly. "You'd have to earn it."

"We've wasted enough time," She got inside the car and started the engine. "Now get inside."
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
"Your job today is to kill this man," Donghae placed a photo on his desk as they crowd around to get a glimpse of it. "He's holding a masquerade ball at a hotel ballroom tonight as a farewell party because he'll be leaving the country tomorrow."

"He has a heavy security around him at all times but this is the best chance you can get to him," He tapped the photo. "No mistakes."

"You're dismissed."

The group of them walked out his room and was discussing among themselves when Joon pulled Amber aside.

"Hey," He stood awkwardly in front of her. "I-"

"I don't want to listen to you." She pulled her arm out of his grip and walked towards Kibum and the gang who was waiting for her.
 
 
~~
 
 
"Okay," Amber stood in the living room as they went through their plans for the last time before heading out. "I'll be posing as a server and I'll move around to scout for the man and observe the security." She looked over to Kibum.

"I'll be in the power supply room and when the time is right, I'll cut the power supply and Amber will kill him." He continued. "After that, I'll turn back on the power and by then Amber will be heading towards the elevator. I'll leave immediately after the power is back on."

"There's bound to be security at the hotel lobby so I'll throw in a tear gas when Amber unni gets into the elevator." Krystal elaborated. "I'll be a check-in visitor."

"And I'll be waiting in the car for you guys to arrive." Victoria laughed. "Ah, my job is so easy."

"No unni," Sulli fell back onto the couch and spread her arms. "I'll just be at home waiting for you all to come back."

"Earpiece," Kibum handed out to each of them.

"Okay, that'll be it." Amber clapped her hands. "Let's go."
 
 
~~
 
 
Amber was given a simple black mask to wear because every server is required to at this ball to go along with the theme. She observed her surroundings while giving out glasses of champagne when Kibum spoke.

"Have you found him yet?" He sounded bored.

"No, since everyone here is wearing a mask," Amber went back to the serving table to refill the glasses while guests with fancy masks move around her. "It's hard to find him but he's bound to make a speech, after all it's his farewell party."

"It's like he knew someone will be coming after him," Kibum paused. "The security on the ground floor is slightly more than we expected and the mask? Is he trying to be coy?"

"You'll just have to wait for my command." Amber offered a drink to guest.

A few floors below the ballroom, Victoria unlocked the car door when she noticed the person who tapped the passenger seat car window. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to offer help if anyone needs it." Joon explained further. "I was there at the time when you're given this job so I thought I couldn't just stay back and do nothing."

"Well, there is nothing you can do," Victoria leaned back into her seat and turned up the volume of the music player. "By the way, what did you do to make Amber so mad?"

"Why? She's been ing about me?" Victoria nodded. "Can't blame her. I tried to apologise, you know, but she ignored me before I can say anything."

"It can take some time for her to listen to you." She told him. "The last time Kibum made her mad, she didn't speak to him for about 3 months."

"I found him." The earpiece came alive with Amber's voice. "Give me five minutes to relocate him before you cut off the power."

"Amber found the guy," Victoria told Joon. "It'll be busy for the next few minutes."

"Kibum," Amber found her way until she's next to the man. "Drink sir?" He took a glass and thanked her. "Now."

The room was filled with darkness when Amber pulled the trigger and felt him slump onto the ground as she moved away. She dumped the platter of drinks on a nearby table and started pushing her way through the confused crowd. A minute later, the power came back on and screams were heard from outside ballroom as she was nearing the elevator. As she was waiting for the elevator to arrive, security personnel came into view and spoke into his walkie-talkie. "I found the guy."

She was puzzled for a second before she looked down at her uniform. Her white uniform has blood splatters on it. "Oh s.hit!" Amber ran up to the man and knocked him out before he could pulled out his gun. "Kibum," She dragged the man out of sight. "My cover's blown."

"What?! You have to get out now!"

"Unni, the security down here just got the news and are proceeding towards the elevators now."
 
 
~~
 
 
"Amber's in trouble. She has been found out." Victoria fidgeted in her seat while Joon glanced at the lobby where a group of black suit men were taking out their guns. "I'm going to help Amber," He said as he got out of the car. "How are you gonna get out of there when you get to her?" She shouted at him. "Remember what I taught you that day?" She nodded at Joon. "We'll meet at the top."

"Krystal!" Joon shouted at her. "I'm going up to help her. So listen," Krystal looked panicked. "Give me the gas mask and the tear gas." She handed him the stuff. "Now get back to Victoria. Go!"

He wore the mask and threw several cans of tear gas into the lobby and made his way through the crowd. He stooped around, collecting the guns from the coughing men and proceeded to the elevators.
 
 
~~
 
 
Amber tried to reach the ground floor by using the stairwell but she had to turned back when she heard rapid footsteps echoing from below. Once outside the staircase door, she pushed a nearby table directly in front of the door, preventing it from opening

Just as she was about to sneak back to the elevators, she was pulled aside before an armed man came looking her way.

"Joon! What are you doing here?!"

"Trying to save your life, idiot, what else," He handed the gun he had taken earlier to her. "I managed to gas the lobby area, buying us some time but more are coming. We have to go upwards."

"To where?!"

"The rooftop," Huh? "But Vic-"

"Trust me, let's go." Trust me, this two words had Amber thinking of a certain someone and she smiled to herself, all of the sudden, why did he pop into my brain? She dismissed the thought and turned off the safety of the gun.

"Come," She gestured to Joon. "There's another staircase at the other end of the floor. There's gonna be a lot of them so stay close to me."

As both of them moved along, Amber shot at any one of the armed men when she spotted them, only injuring their legs and kicked away their fallen guns as they moved past them, They were about to reach the stairwell when they were attacked. Joon fired blindly at every direction and managed to duck when his gun ran out of bullets. Amber leaned across him and took down half a dozen of them as Joon passed her loaded guns when she ran out of ammo.

Gun fire ceased but she knew they were waiting for them to make movement. "This is the last one," Joon passed a loaded gun while a pile of used guns sat next to him. "And two cans of tear gas. What now?"

"They are waiting for us to make a move," She handed him the gun in exchange of the cans of gas. "I'll throw a can in their direction and," she gestured towards the door directly in the line of fire. "When it starts producing gas, make a run for it. I'll follow behind you. Ready?"

"Ready." He nodded at her and wiped away the sweat lining his hairline.

Amber pulled the pin and threw it at the intended direction. "Go!" She pushed him forward when the first signs of smoke appeared. Joon tugged at the door but it won't open. "It's locked!"

"Quick! Shoot at it!" She nodded at the gun. He shot the door jam once but it didn't budge and the smoke is finally affecting their eyes, making their eyes sting and vision blurry from the tears. "ARGHHH!" Amber screamed in frustration and snatched the gun from him and fired continuously at the same spot for three times until the door finally swing open. She pushed him in and followed after when she fell forward from impact, ramming into Joon.

"You're bleeding!" He turned over and noticed one side of her pants soaked with blood that's streaming out her wound. "I'm okay," She looked behind her and those men were getting on their feet, coming after them. He picked up the gun and slid it into his jeans pocket. "Hurry!" She winced from the pain as she tried to walk before tumbling after a few steps.

"At this rate, we'll be dead even before we reach the top." Joon stood in front of her and knelt with his back facing her. "Put your arms around my neck," he instructed her. "Now is not the right time to protest." He silenced her when she groaned and held her thighs, lifting her from the ground. Amber threw the last can of tear gas behind them as Joon climbed two steps at once up the stairs.

The rooftop was deserted as they came out of the stairwell. "So what's your great idea when we finally reached the rooftop, smartass?" She threw her hands up. "Do you have a parachute that can bring us down to street level?"

"No," Joon ignored her remarks as he looked around. "Where is she?" He finally had panic in his eyes. "Please tell me she remembers how to work it."

They waited for some time and Joon brighten up when a whirring noise was heard. "Ah, there she is!"

Amber looked up when a violent wind blew towards them, making her hair all messy. "A helicopter?!" She shouted over the loud noise as it descended. "Is that Victoria unni?"

"How does she know to operate one?" She said as Joon walked across the rooftop to the helicopter. "I taught her recently since she was interested in it." He put her down on the back seat and got in after her. "Welcome aboard!" Victoria called out from the pilot seat.

Although Amber had injured her leg, she's still alert and with quick reflexes, she took the gun from Joon's jeans and emptied all the bullets at the men who came running out onto the tarmac, firing at them as the helicopter was ascending. Victoria was having fun with the joystick and steered the aircraft in the direction of the men, scattering them apart.

"How's your leg?" Victoria asked her. "It's still bleeding." Amber relaxed and leaned back into her seat, when they were a distance away from the rooftop.

Joon took her leg and placed it on his knees as he try to stop the bleeding by tying a strip of cloth he tore from his shirt, tightly around her knee. "That should slow the bleeding."

"Thanks." Amber felt very tired and closed her eyes, resting her head on the window. "I think I'll have a short nap."