Chapter 22

Zero Gravity

 

“Where are you?” Luna spoke quietly while she climbed the stairs. “It’s late. Will you be back soon?”
 
“Do I have to constantly update you of my whereabouts?” Her lips parted in surprise at his sharp tone. “I’ll come home whenever I like it. That’s none of your business.”
 
“She’s getting on my nerves.” Joon groaned. He threw his phone onto the passenger seat and turned up the car stereo.
 
“I was just worried.” Luna pulled the phone away from her ear and stared at the dark screen. “You didn’t have to be snappy about it.” She glanced at the room on her right when a loud crash came from within.
 
She entered the room and noticed a broken glass lying at the foot of the bed to which she carefully reached for the glass shards. “Let it be. I’ll clean it up later.” Luna heard him mutter but ignored him as she gathered the pieces. “Shut up, Kibum.” And he did.
 
Luna did a quick job of disposing it and was about to exit his room when his words stopped her in her tracks. “Thank you.” Luna glanced at the slouching figure on the bed. “Thank you, Luna.” Kibum said sincerely. “Y-you’re welcome.” She croaked.
 
Luna looked at the door then to him and back at the door, suddenly having an urge to comfort him. But how? She sat on the edge of the bed and looked around uncomfortably. “So, do you,” Luna hesitated, and placed a hand on his arm. “Want to talk? About anything?”
 
Kibum stared at her small hand for a long while before looking up to face her. “What’s there to talk about?” He pushed her hand away and leaned back against the wall, staring at the ceiling above his head. “It’s not like it’ll grow back my fingers.” He raised the heavily bandaged right hand at her. “It’s now useless.”
 
“No, it’s not.” Luna took hold of his other hand and grasped it. “Did you forget your own words? You said that we’re more important than anything else, and that’s all it matters even if losing your fingers is the price that you’ve to pay.”
 
“Yeah, bu—”
 
“No buts.” Luna said as she scooted nearer to him and whispered. “You did the right thing by not giving into them and I think it was brave of you.” They shared a smile and Kibum looked away, feeling a bit better and he noticed Luna was still holding onto his hand.
 
“Can I ask you something?” Kibum refused to look at her and she found his behavior odd but nodded anyways. “What do you see in Joon?” He bit his tongue to hold back from saying anything more.
 
“That’s a rather good question.” Luna smiled automatically as she thought of him. “I can’t give an exact answer. It’s just that I find myself gravitating towards him.”
 
“Are you sure it’s not lust that you’re experiencing? You wouldn’t like the man if you actually know him.” Kibum said.
 
“What’s that suppose to mean?”
 
“At the party in Japan, he spiked Amber’s drink and tried to take advantage of her.”
 
“You’re lying. He was with me the entire time.” Luna’s voice became dangerously low and her eyes narrowed at him. “And besides, you shouldn’t be too close to Amber. She’s not good news.” Kibum raised his eyebrows quizzically. “Excuse me?”
 
“I said, she’s not good news.”
 
“What gave you that idea?” He said in disbelief. “Joon told me about what she did to him.” Kibum gritted his teeth. “And what did she do? Kick his balls?”
 
“Before he met me, Joon used to like Amber. But he realised she was toying him the whole time and he wanted to end things with her the civilized way. He met her to talk things out but she lashed out at him and wouldn’t let him go.”
 
“Wait. He told you that?” He couldn’t believe the nonsense that was fed to Luna. “It’s all lies! Amber never liked him. Not even a bit.” Kibum squeezed her hand and whispered urgently. “Luna, listen to me. Amber’s not the bad news,he is.”
 
“No, you’re the one that’s misled. Amber’s a manipulative woman.” Luna shook his hand to get his attention. “Not only did she play with Joon’s feelings, she got mad when he told her that he was over her. She thrashed her office.”
 
“Kibum, don’t let her make a fool out of you.”
 
“I’m not the fool.” Kibum let go of her hand and his eyes stared at her with pity. “You are.”
 
“What?” Luna was taken aback.
 
“I’ve known Amber longer than anyone else in the team, and she’s not and will not be the person that you have just described. She may be a killer, but she’s not cold-hearted to ones that she loves.”
 
“But how long have you met Joon to believe all the lies that he had used to receive your pity, and turned all your hate towards Amber? He knew that you were interested in him, and he used your affection to his advantage. He blinded you from the truth.”
 
“Shut up!” Luna jumped away from the bed. “What about you? I’ve not known you any longer than I’ve known Joon. So why should I believe you, instead of him?”
 
“Because I like you, and I want the best for you.” His words surprised her but she didn’t let that on, and looked away. “I don’t believe you.”
 
“I don’t care whether you believe me or not, just as long as you know that there’s someone who genuinely cares for you.” Kibum walked towards her. “Get away from me.” Luna said quietly.
 
“I will, but before that, I want you to close your eyes.” She crossed her arms and stared in defiance. “And why should I?”
 
“Just do it.”
 
She couldn’t see anything and it made her anxious as to what he was going to do. Her mind went into frenzy when she felt his breath across her cheek, followed by his soft lips on hers.
 
Luna didn’t fight him instead, leaned into him and kissed him back. She rested her hands on his waist and hugged him closer to her. She knew this wasn’t right but she couldn’t pull away. For the first time in her life, she felt a sense of assurance in a man’s embrace, instead of always knowing that men were only after her because of .
 
They pulled apart and Luna immediately left the room, leaving the stunned Kibum behind. Luna’s trembling fingers reached for her lips as she made her way back to her room, thinking of what they had just done.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“It’s cold.”
 
“Come here.” Amber wrapped her arm around him and threw the throw over them. “You’re such a girl, Henry.”
 
“What? Do you think guys are immune to the cold? I’m human too!” He tickled her waist and received an elbow jab in his tummy.
 
“Why do you think this throw is for? Decoration?” She ruffled the throw and he rolled his eyes. “It’s not much of a heat provider anyway.” Henry cleared his throat at the same time as she said something, and he would have missed it if they weren’t huddled close. “What did you say?”
 
“Nothing.” Henry watched her cheeks grow pink and chuckled. “I clearly heard you say something along the lines of ‘That’s why I have you with me’.” He wiggled his eyebrows at Amber who suddenly found interest with the frayed ends of the throw. “Do I sense a hint of cheesiness from you, Am?”
 
“Shut up.” Amber muttered as she felt her face grow warmer. “Aww, I find it cute. I see you’re picking up my traits.”
 
“Spending too much time with you has damaging, negative effects on me. Why do I still hang with you?” Henry snuggled closer to her and she whacked his arm. “Whatever you say, Am.” He reached for hand and grasped it firmly. “Come on, you owe me a story.”
 
“Didn’t I tell you enough already?” She whispered. “I don’t want scare you away.” He sensed the nervousness behind her light-hearted chuckle.
 
“You won’t.” Henry stretched his arm and pulled her into him and she rested her head just under his chin. “What got you in trouble in the first place that made you accept Matsuka’s help?” She remained quiet and he rubbed her arm questioningly. “Hmm?”
 
“I killed a gang leader.” His heart stopped beating for a second and he involuntarily let out a gasp. “Are you sure that you want me to continue?” She asked quietly and he nodded as he mentally prepared himself for the disturbing truth.
 
“I was held captive and tortured endlessly. It must have left me psychologically unstable and I fought back when the chance was presented. I don’t remember the exact details, but I do recall going on a rampage and fought my way till I found the gang leader.” Amber paused and stole a glance at Henry who appeared to be composed, but she could feel his heart beating like crazy. “I-I killed him with an axe that I found.”
 
“I escaped but the police found me covered in blood and brought me into custody. Matsuka only came for me because I killed the leader of one of the many gangs that was under him. You could say that he say the potential in me, and offered a job to me.” Amber rocked the swing gently and looked around her garden.  “And I’ve followed him ever since.”  A light snow fall started and they watched in silence from under the canopy covered swing.
 
“As disturbing as it is, I had to know about it.” Henry wrapped his other arm around her and whispered into her ear. “Thank you.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Joon dropped his car keys into his pocket and jogged towards the only lighted house in the neighbourhood. He was about to punch in the security code when he heard noises and quickly hid behind the shadows in the corner.
 
He watched as Henry skipped down the steps, followed by Amber and he pressed himself closer to the wall when Amber’s eyes swept over his hiding spot. Joon couldn’t hear their conversation but he could see them clearly from where he was, watching them as she wrapped her arms around his neck and tiptoed in for a kiss.
 
He bit his lips and clenched his fists. He felt his insides twist in anger when Henry rested his hands on her lower back, pulling her closer to him.
 
Joon clenched his jaw and used all his effort to hold himself back from running to them and beat up Henry. No, I’ll get my chance but not now. His eyes flickered over to Amber when she giggled and gave Henry a quick peck on the lips before they parted.
 
He watched her stand by the sidewalk as Henry drove away and entered her home once the car disappeared after the bend.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Henry turned into his street and pulled up just behind his neighbour’s red car when his hand phone rang. “Miss me already?” He asked.
 
“Haha.” He heard her laugh dryly and pulled his jacket tighter to his body. “You left your keys at my place you idiot.” He patted his pockets and chuckled. “Oops. My bad. Can you bring it over?”
 
“Don’t need you to tell me what to do. I’m already on my way. See you in a few.”
 
Henry pocketed his phone and sat on the steps leading to his front door and pulled his legs to him. A cloud of steam escaped his mouth as he exhaled and turned around sharply when he heard the snap of a twig. He got up and looked around his garden in the early morning darkness.
 
A squirrel.
 
He shook his head and let out a long yawn, stretching his arms at the same time just as he noticed his untied shoelace. Henry knelt down to tie them but he suddenly fell forward and hit the stone cold ground. He lay on his back and felt the excruciating pain coming from his right shoulder when he saw a figure in the shadows raised its arm with a gun in hand.
 
He opened his mouth to cry for help but an arm looped around his neck, tightening its grip as Henry was lifted off the ground. He struggled, but it was useless because the other person was stronger than he is and Henry’s vision soon blurred and submits into darkness.
 
 
~~
 
 
“Hey, . Your key’s here.” Amber entered his compound and the atmosphere felt weird to her as she made her way to the house with the street lights as her guide. “Henry?” She saw an outline of a body on the ground and hurried to the foot of the steps. “Henry!”
 
Amber sat him up and pulled her hand away when she felt the dampness and gasped at the sight of glistening blood on her hands. “Henry?” She dialed for help and cradled him close to her. “Please, please be okay.”
 
 
~~
 
 
“Ms. Liu?” Amber rubbed her eyes wearily and rushed to the doctor’s side when he approached her. “The patient’s now in a stable condition and he’s lucky that the bullet missed his lung by an inch. He needs a lot of rest and it’s best for him not to get agitated.” She thanked him and hurried into his room.
 
She brushed his hair away from his eyes and sat on the edge of the bed. “Who did this to you?” Amber asked to no one in particular and ran her fingers over Henry’s bruised neck. “Who?” She whispered.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“What do you want to talk about in private?” Yunho leaned back into his seat and took a sip of his coffee.
 
“The convict that we brought in earlier, Jaehoon, he told me something that’s off the records.” Nichkhun noticed he had the senior officer’s attention and continued. “He mentioned that there’s someone assisting Matsuka. Someone from our department.”
 
“What?” Yunho set down his coffee and walked around his desk. “Did you tell anyone else about this?”
 
“No, sir. I came straight to you.”
 
“Good. We don’t need others knowing about this.” Yunho sat on the edge of his desk and crossed his ankles. “Continue. I assume there’s more to it.”
 
“He said he’d seen the officer meet with a woman from Matsuka’s side.”
 
“He knows how does the officer looks like then?” Yunho asked calmly. “Yes, but he doesn’t know the name.” Nichkhun shook his head and observed his senior in awe. If I were him, I would be freaked out by this information. Or rather, have everyone in the department interrogated. “I see.”
 
“Go back to work. I’ll talk to my superiors.” Yunho dismissed him with a wave of his hand and reminded him. “But for now, this is between the both of us. This is confidential. Understand?” Nichkhun nodded and closed the door behind him.
 
“Han, where’s the file of the ski resort murder case? I need to refer something.” Nichkhun walked over and dropped the box of evidence on his partner’s desk. “And help me with this will you?” He pointed at the box and picked up the ringing phone. “Yes, yes.” He shoved his partner’s shoulder to get his attention when the latter pause to stare behind Nichkhun.
 
“Yeah, the evidence is with me. Hmm.” Nichkhun nodded and rolled his eyes impatiently. “Okay. Yes, ye—“  He gave up listening to the person on the other line and slammed the phone down. “Never liked the guy.”
 
“Youngdae can be a pain in the a.ss at times.” Han scooted his chair closer to Nichkhun and nudged him urgently. “Would you check that woman out?” He let out a low whistle. “Han, focus on the work. We’ve to get this done by today.” Nichkhun said tiredly and shook him off his arm when Han continuously nagged him. “I can look at my girlfriend, thank you very much.”
 
“Uh-huh.” Han nodded absentmindedly while staring at the woman approached the office’s information desk. “But can she beat those curves this woman has? D.amn, look at her a.ss in those jeans.” He emphasized the curves with his hands to which Nichkhun just shook his head. “Your language..it’s no wonder you’re still single.” He chuckled.
 
“I’m just waiting for the right girl to come by. Come on, have you seen me in clubs? All those women throwing themselves at me.” Han said proudly and ran his palm along the side to smooth out his hair. “Yeah, I’ve seen you in clubs but the women ain’t throwing themselves at you,” Nichkhun sniggered. “They were throwing their drinks at you.”
 
“Nichkhun.” He looked up when the secretary at the desk called. “There’s a visitor for you.” The woman waved back at him and he grinned while Han opened his mouth in shock. “You know her!?”
 
“My girlfriend doesn’t have to compete for those curves,” Nichkhun chuckled. “Because that woman over there is my girlfriend. I’ll get back to you, punk, for your language about my woman. Now get working!” He slapped the back of Han’s head.
 
“This is a surprise.” He took Victoria’s outstretched hand and led her out of the office. “I thought we’d have lunch together.” She dangled the food carriers in her hand and he smiled. “What I did I do to owe this pleasure?”
 
“Can’t I pamper my boyfriend with home cooked food?” She pushed her shades back up when it slid down her nose. “Or maybe I just want to see him after being overseas for so long.” Nichkhun reached across and held the food carriers. “Aww, that’s so sweet.” He cooed and she slapped his arm in embarrassment.
 
“How are you settling in with your new job?”
 
“I’m doing fine but what irks me is that certain cases are always faced with roadblocks.” He shoved a spoonful of rice into his mouth. Matsuka’s cases, cases involving us. Victoria thought. “The soup is delicious.”
 
“Have more of it.” Victoria refilled his container and watches him closely. “What about your boss?”
 
“Oh, Yunho sunbae is the best. He may be strict at times but he knows what he’s doing. I respect him a lot.” Nichkhun smiled and noticed her untouched lunch. “Stop worrying about me and eat.”
 
If only you knew his true identity.  Victoria nodded and picked up her chopsticks. The most important thing is that you don’t get tangled in cases that will get you in trouble with Matsuka.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Yunho sat inside the privacy of his car as he waited for the secure line to go through while tapping the steering wheel impatiently.
 
“Amber-sshi, we have a problem.”
 
He conveyed to her what his subordinate told him earlier and Yunho moved uncomfortably in his seat when there was only silence on the other end.
 
“Take care of him.”
 
“And Nichkhun?”
 
“Keep him on a short leash. Take him out of Matsuka’s cases.”
 
Later in the day, a brawl broke out within the detention centre where an inmate attacked Jaehoon with acid. No one knew how the inmate got his hands on the acid but Jaehoon was blinded from the attack. The acid was also forced down his throat and though he’s still alive, the incident left without a voice.
 
But before an interrogation could be carried out the next morning, the inmate was found dead in his cell, hanged from the window bars with his bed sheet around his neck.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“It couldn’t be related to us, there must be some sort of personal grudge against Henry. There was nothing suspicious from the street cameras, so his attackers must have fled through the back.” Kibum lowered his voice and pulled Amber closer to him. “But there’s something you should see.”
 
Kibum played a video from another street camera which showed a familiar neighbourhood and she looked at him in confusion. “That’s my house.”
 
“I thought I’d look at your place too, in case they followed him from your place. Look what I found.”
 
“Joon.” Amber muttered, staring at the still image on the screen. “You think he’s the one?”
 
“It could be him considering the fact that he hates Henry and is obsessed with you.” Kibum shrugged his shoulders. “That’s my guess.”
 
“Somehow, I don’t think it’s him.” She bit her lips and looked around the room as she thought about it. “Though Joon acts rashly, he wouldn’t go to lengths like this.”
 
“How can you be sure? He’s,” Kibum twirled his finger around his head. “Using a nicer term, mentally unstable at times.”
 
“What are you gonna do with Henry? There’s someone we don’t know after him.”
 
“I’ve ordered my men to stand guard his room. I’ll talk to him once he’s awake, maybe then we’ll know where to look.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“You can’t pull me out in the middle of an ongoing case.”
 
“Your colleagues can follow up on your work. You’ll be assigned to another case.” Yunho didn’t bother to look up from his work and Nichkhun stared on, speechless.
 
“Give me a reason.” He said when his voice returned.
 
“I want you to broaden your skills in other areas and also, I’m setting you in charge of observing the department.” Yunho stopped writing and met his eyes for the first time since Nichkhun stormed into his office. “Aren’t you curious as to who the spy is? I’m pulling you out so that you can focus your attention on this. Report to me regarding your findings.” Yunho pushed his glasses higher up his nose and continued his work. “That’s all. You may leave.”
 
Nichkhun closed the door behind him and returned to his desk. He didn’t know whether to feel honoured that the senior officer has regarded him competent to begin his own investigation, or that he wasn’t being much of a contribution to the team.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Do you have any idea who did this?” Amber helped him with the pillows and gently laid him against them. “Someone that has a grudge against you or your family?”
 
“I’m not sure.” Henry said. “I know my father’s never been associated with the mafia, he swears to never do business with them.”
 
“Sooyoung definitely has never caused any trouble before.” He winced at the pain in his back and exhaled loudly. “As for me, there’s nothing related to the mafia too.” He thought about it. “Except, of course, you.”
 
“Think, Henry. Or we’ll have a hard time getting to the bottom of this.” She looked on worriedly and he poked her cheek. “Who knows? Maybe this could just be a robbery that was abandoned after they chickened out.”
 
“Quit joking. You and I know that it isn’t as simple as that.” Amber slapped away his hand. “When I found you, you were in a pool of your own blood. And robbers don’t kill people, they threatened people into fearing them to get what they want.”
 
“If someone wants to kill me, they would have put a bullet in my brain instead of aiming for my back.”
 
“This could be a warning.”
 
“I don’t know how the mafia works. You should know better.” Henry said with a hint of irritation. “Why bother asking me when you already have your own theories.”
 
“Henry, you’re not being fair.” Amber responded defensively. “I’m trying to help here.”
 
“Fine, let’s say that you found the culprit. What are you gonna do? Blast his brains? Finish off the entire gang?” He asked agitatedly and it left him in a coughing fit. “Yes, I would do exactly that if that means keeping you safe.” Amber said without missing a beat.
 
“But you can’t do that. It’s against the law!” He cried.
 
“Like you said, I know the workings of the mafia better than you do and that’s how we deal with threats. We eliminate them before they take over.” Amber snapped.
 
They stared at each other in silence, both sides fuming over the other when a knock sounded at the door. “Come in.”
 
“Agashi, we have to leave soon. Matsuka has requested for your presence at the meeting.” The man with a slight Japanese accent bowed and left the room at the wave of her hand, leaving them alone again.
 
“I don’t know why you’re unhappy with me.” Amber stood to leave and Henry avoided her gaze, choosing to stare at the other side of the room. “But I’ll keep you safe, no matter what it takes. It’s not for you to say.” He watched her leave from the corner of his eyes and he diverted his gaze when she turned around.
 
“I’m doing this because I love you.” Henry blinked in surprise. “Remember that.”
 
And he did, because that was the very first time she said those three words to him.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Victoria.”
 
Nichkhun slipped his hand into hers and tugged her to him as they walked along the busy street. They were on a date and the weekends, they now realized, are the worst time to have one since the streets and malls were packed with people. Nevertheless, even with the inconveniences, nothing deterred their spirit because dates are hard to come by for these two busy people.
 
“Hmm?” She nodded, her attention fixed on the road side stalls that were selling fashion accessories. “Have you ever wondered what your life would be like if you aren’t going through the present one?”
 
“Why all of a sudden?” Nichkhun merely shrugged his shoulders. “Something happened at work?” He shook his head and made a cute face at her. “Nothing. Just curious.”
 
“Yeah, I’ve thought about it. Many times.” Victoria stopped walking and stared into the distance. “Maybe I would still be in China, at the village that I was brought up in, tending to the crops owned by my family before they sold it off to migrate to Korea.” A smile appeared on her face. “I’ll live in a house where friends and family come in and out, a lively atmosphere with children running around the place.”
 
“What about you?” Victoria asked after snapping out of her reverie. “I’ll probably be stuck somewhere in an office cubicle, slaving through the boring hours and going through the routine everyday for the rest of my life. Well, until retirement rolls in.”
 
“You’re happy with your current job then?” Nichkhun nodded enthusiastically. “It’s exciting, knowing that criminals are punished for their wrong doings, playing a part in contributing to a better society.” She felt guilty and broke away from him, unable to look at him in the eye and approached the nearest stall.
 
“What about children? Have you thought about them?” He appeared by her side and watched her run her fingers through the items. “Three kids.”
 
“It doesn’t matter what gender of the children are, as long as they’re healthy.” Victoria wore a red and gold headband and looked into the mirror provided. “What will you say if I want to be the father of those children?”
 
“That you’re crazy!” She laughed and turned to him while returning the headband. “Maybe I am.” Nichkhun grinned and skipped to the next stall, leaving her behind. “Truthfully, I don’t mind.” She whispered.
 
They spent close to almost an hour, loitering around the place and Nichkhun had to drag her away before she starts buying all the accessories. Since they couldn’t go anywhere else, they settled for the park.
 
“I’m tired.” Victoria groaned and rushed for the empty bench. He sat down calmly next to her and rested her head on his shoulder to which she wriggled until her nose was touching his neck.
 
“I’ve always seen myself with a family of my own since I was young. I love kids.” Nichkhun ran his hands along her arm absentmindedly. “What’s with you today?” Victoria placed her hand over his stomach and caressed it. “You’re being so sentimental.”
 
“Will you marry me?”
 
Nichkhun felt her stiffened in his arms and he was sure that she could feel his heart beating furiously in anticipation. He didn’t know what’s gotten over him but for the past few days, all that he can think of is his future. His future which he hopes Victoria will become part of.
 
“I know I don’t have a family background that’s worth boasting nor am I rich,” Her silence left him feeling more anxious than he already is. “But I’m sure I will be a wonderful husband and.. father.” He added quietly and felt the blush creeping up his neck.
 
He placed a black box in her hand and Victoria merely stared at it. Her pursed lips formed a thin line as she remained in deep thought. What girl would dread a day like this? She closed her eyes and sighed. Only you.
 
“I-I’ll think about it.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Yes, Henry.” Sooyoung sandwiched her phone between her shoulder and cheek, and struggled to open the door on the driver’s side because of the many garment bags that she was carrying. “I’ll be careful.”
 
She stood still for a moment, mentally debating whether or not she should place the bags on the ground or over the car. “Where am I going? I’m visiting your father at the hospital before heading home.” Sooyoung bend uncomfortably in her fitting pencil skirt to set the bags down when a pair of feet appeared in her vision.
 
The man smiled and opened the door on her behalf, nodding for her to get in. She bowed curtly and quickly entered her car, locking the doors immediately. “Yeah, I’ll come by tomorrow.” Sooyoung watched the man wearily as he entered the MPV next to hers. “Take care.”
 
She dropped her bags in the passenger seat and angled her slanted rearview mirror. Sooyoung screamed when she saw a man sitting in the backseat and quickly reached for the door handle but she was too slow for him. The man reached from behind her seat and held her back with a cloth pressed over her face.
 
The man only released her when she stopped kicking in her seat and unlocked the doors for his accomplice. They carried her into the MPV and both cars drove away without leaving any evidence behind.