Chapter 20

Zero Gravity
Amber sat up groggily and observed her surroundings through half lidded vision. She tore the heavy comforter from her body and swung her legs to the side while rubbing her eyes. She was now more awake and a frown appeared on her face.
 
Something black was lying on the floor and she got out of bed to examine it. She picked it up and immediately recognized it as the dress she wore the night before. She let out a gasp when she looked down and realized she was in a robe with only her underwear on. What the hell?
 
Another gasp came when she noticed a man’s shirt and trousers draped over the vanity chair with its matching suit in a ball at the long couch that was adjacent to the bed. Her ears perked up when the sound of gushing water from the bathroom reached her. She bit her finger to stop herself from making any sounds. “No, this is not happening.” Amber shook her head just as the door of the bathroom opened.
 
She instantly reached for her gun in the bedside drawer and held it in front of her, waiting for the man to enter the bedroom. Amber turned off the safety of the gun when he came into view while drying his hair.
 
“What the..” She immediately dropped the gun, followed by her jaw. “Hyung! What the hell are you doing in my room!”
 
“I see you’re awake.” Kibum wore his pants and tugged the towel away from his waist. Amber opened and closed like a fish while gesturing between them. “We didn— I mean, n-n-nothing between.. us.. happen.” She stuttered.
 
“No, we did not have .” Amber cringed at his answer as he rummaged through the closet, picking out one of her oversized shirts. “Then..” She pointed at her robe then to him. “I found you sitting in the bathtub in the middle of night with the shower on full blast. Don’t you remember?” Kibum raised his eyebrows to which she shook her head.
 
“Anyway, so I changed you out of the dress and into the robe. Don’t give me that face.” He told her and fell backwards on the bed. “No funny thoughts ran through my head. You’re like a blood sister to me and thinking of stuff like that would only mean .” He scrunched up his nose. “Eww.”
 
“Okay.” She chuckled and lay on the empty space next to him. “But why are you in my room in the first place?” Amber stared at the ceiling while she tried to retrieve from her memory bank. “In fact, I can’t really remember anything after I exited the elevator.”
 
“That’s because you were drugged.” Kibum rested his arms under his head and whispered. “By Joon.”
 
Amber widened her eyes as she turned to face Kibum with shock displayed all over her face while still managing to wheeze out a reply. “What?” Kibum turned his entire body to face her and he was serious. “He spiked your champagne before handing it to you.”
 
“I followed you out of the ballroom and he did the same too but he didn’t see me since he was busy keeping his eyes on you.” Kibum held her hand when fear flashed across her face. “I knew there was something wrong about him and quickly rushed up to your floor the moment you stepped into the elevator. I also hacked into the system and diverted Joon’s elevator carriage to another floor which gave me time to reach you before he did.”
 
“I stayed through the night just in case he broke into your room.” He stretched his body and winced, reaching for his back. “And you better thank me. I slept on the couch and it isn’t as comfortable as it looks.” He stopped talking and nudged her. “Amber?”
 
“Hyung. As much as I hate to admit it, I’m actually afraid of what Joon has become of.” Amber whispered. “I know I’ve done nothing wrong but in the inside,” She touched her chest and looked to him. “I feel guilty.”
 
“Why must you? Get that ridiculous idea out of your head.” Kibum told her fiercely and sat up, pulling her with him. “No one has control over any other person’s feelings. No one can stop a person from loving another. You have no power over that.” He stressed. “Take me for an example. Luna knows that I have feelings for her but she doesn’t care and continue sticking by Joon. She can’t stop me from liking her but I know my limits.”
 
“As for Joon, he has gone overboard with his actions. Like the time when he impersonated as the hotel receptionist.” Amber looked up in surprised. “How did you know about that?”
 
“Come on. Don’t you know what I can do?” Kibum scoffed. “The point is, do not doubt yourself. You did nothing wrong.” He held her shoulders and smiled. “I’ll always be here for you.” She grinned in return but suddenly grasps his arm.
 
“Does that mean Joon knows that you know about the champagne incident?” Amber looked at the clock on the wall. “He’s a smart man. He can patch together the links and know that you’re helping me. If not, he would have broken into the room already.”
 
“I guess he knows then.” Kibum smiled reassuringly and patted her hand. “He won’t do anything to me. He can’t. Loosen up, I’ll be fine.”
 
“I’ll pray for you.” Amber joked and followed him to the door. “I’ll meet you downstairs for breakfast.” Kibum ruffled her hair and closed the door behind him. She crossed her arms and sighed, walking back to the bedroom but stopped midway.
 
Amber hesitated for a second before walking back to the door and sliding the chain lock into place.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Relax Amber. He wouldn’t dare to show his ugly side in front of so many people.” Kibum reassured her as they entered the private section of the restaurant which was reserved for the guests of Matsuka’s party. “I am relaxed.” Amber replied.
 
“Really? Then why are you choking my arm?” She followed his gaze and looked down at her fingers digging into his flesh. “Sorry.” Amber mumbled and let go. “Just act cool.” Kibum handed her a plate and generously piled their plates with food. She argued with Kibum about the amount of food that he had taken when he appeared next to her.
 
“Good morning Amber and to you too, Kibum.” They stopped their bickering at the sight of him and Joon smiled. “Where did you go to last night? You never came back to the party.” He asked.
 
“Oh, I wasn’t feeling very well and went back to my room. I didn’t miss anything, did I?” Amber replied casually even though she was boiling on the inside. She grabbed a banana and walked away. “What about you Kibum?” She froze in her tracks and turned back.
 
“I retired early as well. I had a wonderful night of sleep.” Kibum grinned and poured himself a cup of tea as they stopped by the beverage station. “This assignment feels more like a vacation than work, doesn’t it?” He nudged Joon and laughed heartily. “Hyung. Let’s find a seat.” Amber guided him away from Joon and walked closer to Kibum.
 
“Why is he acting like that?” Amber hissed into his ear and dumped her plate of food on the table. “Remember what I told you earlier, Amber? Be cool.” Kibum repeated and dove into his food.
 
“Mind if I seat with the two of you?” Joon arrived at their table and pulled out a chair without waiting for their answer. “Actually, I do.” Amber said, taking a large bite of her hash brown. “Why don’t you find somewhere else to sit?” She slowly turned to him while he stares at her in amusement. “I see lots of empty tables over there at the far end of the room.”
 
“What’s with the attitude? Is it too early for you to be awake?” Joon refused to budge from his seat and took a sip of his coffee. “If you don’t move, I will.” She grabbed her plate and stomped over to a table by the windows.
 
“Come on, you can’t keep switching tables.” Amber shut her eyes and breathed deeply a few times when she heard his chuckle next to her. “I do what I want and it isn’t up to you to say anything.” She snapped. She picked up her knife and cut up her breakfast as Kibum arrived at the table.
 
“Why don’t go bother someone else Joon?” Kibum eyed Joon and the latter shrugged his shoulders. “Why don’t you stick your nose out of people’s business nerd?” Joon smiled at him but there was no emotion behind it and the tone of his voice betrayed him. “You can’t just simply hack into the hotel’s system and play with the elevator controls.”
 
“I’ll do what I think is right.” Kibum’s face darkens and he inched forward, talking in a low whisper. “Do not play around with Amber. I saw what you did last night and I’m warning you. Hurt her again and I’ll make sure that you’ll pay for it.” Joon sat back with a smug expression and crossed his arms. “I’m scared.” He taunted Kibum.
 
“You better be. I’ve kept records of all our hacking activities and one file and an anonymous email to the police would put you behind bars for at least a few years.” Kibum smiled when he noticed Joon tensed up. “I could easily be release within a day with my brother’s help.” Joon snarled.
 
“Hmm. That would work only if your brother isn’t locked up too. Do you think I’ll only focus on nailing you?” It was Kibum’s turn to be smug and Joon grew red in the face. “I’ll bring down anyone that will or has the power to help you. That’ll leave you with no one to turn to and I suppose, we can live happily for a few years at least, right Amber?”
 
“You won’t get away with it. Matsuka will have you dead when he finds out that you’re the one who turned out his right hand man’s dirty dealings.” Joon growled.
 
“He trusts Amber. She could just mention that Donghae is a backstabber and I’ll throw in some evidence to make it real. So who would he trust? The woman who he handpicked and has proven loyalty to him for many years or the right hand man who he had just collaborated only three years ago?” Kibum shrugged his shoulders. “You tell me?”
 
“You better watch out.” Joon said. “Who knows? Maybe the drink you’re about to drink could be laced with something else more deadly.” He jumped when Amber stabbed her steak knife in the seat between his thighs.
 
“Don’t forget to watch your own back if you dare lay a finger on him.” Amber warned him. “Or anyone in particular.”
 
“There you are, Joon.” He pulled the knife away just as Luna approached their table. “You left without waking me.” Luna intentionally gave Joon a long kiss right in front of Amber before placing her hands on Joon’s shoulders possessively. “Good morning, Amber. Would you mind getting out of that seat?” Luna asked in a fake sugary voice.
 
“Absolutely! I can’t get out of here fast enough.” Amber pushed back her chair and snapped her fingers at Kibum who appeared to be in a daze. “I’ve lost my appetite anyway. Hyung, let’s leave.”
 
“Did s-she.. Luna and Joon..” Kibum stuttered as Amber guided him away from the table. “Are they sleeping together?” He let out a tortured sound when she spoke of the dreaded question that was also on his mind. “Do you think..”
 
“Maybe.” Amber frowned and walked out of the hotel lobby while muttering under her breath. “I thought he was after me?”
 
“I’m telling the truth! I saw him with my own eyes when he spiked your drink!” She had to clamp a hand over his mouth to prevent him from attracting attention. “I believe you and lower your voice.” He nodded and she let go of her hand.
 
“I have to warn Luna. She doesn’t know what she’s in for.” Kibum said and started towards the hotel entrance but Amber caught him and pulled him back to her. “And what would you do if she doesn’t believe you?”
 
“But I have to let her know.”
 
“Luna’s too smitten with him. She wouldn’t listen to you.”
 
“Then what do we do?” Kibum looked at her helplessly and she has no answer for him.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“What time is your flight?” Amber slowed her pace and looked behind at the crowded street that they were on. “Six in the evening. We have four hours to spare.” She nodded absentmindedly while checking over her shoulder. She spotted a burly man looking very out of place in the crowd and another as he fidgets uncomfortably under his thick coat. There’s was movement at the corner of her eye and they instantly flickered over to another man standing by the streetlight, lighting a cigarette.
 
She was scrutinizing him when a warm hand slipped into hers and tugged lightly, bringing her attention back to him. “Is there something wrong?” Henry asked softly. He looked past her, trying to figure out what had drawn her attention away. “Nothing. Just looking at the clothes teenagers nowadays are dressing.” Amber forced a smile on her face and she dragged him away.
 
“Yeah.” Henry laughed and swung an arm over her shoulder. “I couldn’t help myself from staring at a boy with green hair just now. Where are you taking us?” He asked when she was leading him deeper into the crowd. “We just came this way, didn’t we?”
 
“Uh, yeah. I finally made up my mind to buy that graphic shirt that I showed you earlier.” Amber answered him and glanced past his shoulder. The men realized she was running away and was now chasing after her. S.hit. “Yeah, I definitely want to get the shirt. It’s a limited edition after all.” She tugged his wrist as the men were pushing their way through the crowd. “Let’s hurry!” She turned around and pulled him with her but he resisted.
 
“Henry, come on!” Amber eyed the five men as they were closing in on them. “What are you doing?” She turned back to him exasperatedly and tugged him again but he held his ground. “You’re not rushing to purchase the shirt. You’re lying. The shop’s the other way.” Henry pointed in the direction of the men. “I don’t have time to explain now. Just follow me!” She pulled him again and he let her.
 
“Stop! Stop them!” Henry turned behind and the men were gesturing and shouting at them relentlessly. “What the.. Do they mean us?” He asked her as she shoved people out of their way and glanced behind. “Uh-huh.”
 
The moment they were free from the crowd, Amber grabbed his hand and started running. Both of them ducked their heads instinctively when a loud gun shot rang, followed by screams from the people around the place. People were frantically pushing about as they were anxious to find some place safe, away from the gun welding men. Amber tightened her grip on his hand and he did so too while bracing against the people’s constant pushing.
 
“Amber!”  He shouted when a man came between them and broke their link, forcing them further apart. “No! NO! Henry!” Amber yelled as she watched the crowd swallowed him and he disappeared from her view. “No!” She shook her head and started pushing against the flow, earning disgruntled looks shot at her but she didn’t care. “The hell with it.”
 
Amber reached behind her back and drew out her gun and fired above her head. People flinched away from her and it created another chaos in the crowd when she fired a second warning shot. This time the people dropped to the ground and covered their hands over their heads.
 
She looked around and stiffens at the sight of Henry being manhandled.
 
“Let him go!” She raised her gun.
 
“Drop your gun and let’s have a chat before we return him to you.” A man with multiple ear piercings stepped forward casually with his hands in his pockets. He doesn’t look that much older than she was but she could tell he’s of a higher rank than the other men from his body language and the confidence that she wouldn’t shoot him dead in the head.
 
Amber didn’t pay heed and showed no intention of lowering her weapon. The man chuckled while nodding to himself as he walked back to his men and swung his fist at Henry who was caught off guard and tumbled to the ground.  
 
Three pairs of hands pulled him back to his feet and the man punched him the second time. He raised his fist to deliver the third but stopped when Amber shouted. “Stop!” She quickly placed her gun on the ground. “Dissemble it.” She followed his instructions obediently. “Now, walk over with your hands behind your head.”
 
“Who are you? Why have you been following us?” Amber looked over in worry and Henry gave her a small smile to reassure her but it didn’t help at all when one of his handlers pointed the gun at his head. She spun to the man with piercings in anger. “Let him go!”
 
“Why should I when he’s my leverage?” The man held out a hand to her and she stared at it with disgust. “I’m Akira and I’m here for you. I know who you are and what you’re capable of. I would be dumb not to have something to hold against you while I speak to you. So, be a good girl and listen to me, and he would be fine.” She looked over and Henry seems confused over their conversation. “What do you want?” She gritted her teeth.
 
“My boss seems very interested in you and he’d like to make an attractive offer.” The man next to Akirapassed him an envelope and he in turn handed it over to Amber. “Yoshida-san wants you to work for him and he’s included a very hefty check in exchange for your loyalty.” She reached for the envelope and he grinned. “I dare say it’s enough for you to last your entire life without having to work. That’s not even including other benefits yet.”
 
“What if I turn down his offer?” She asked as she tapped the envelope on her hand.
 
“Well, he gave specific orders to silence you, if you know what I mean, say if you were to reject the offer.” Akira told her matter-of-factly. “And since we have an extra here, we’ll have to finish him off too.” He lowered his voice and chuckled when he noticed her stealing nervous glances at Henry. “You know the correct answer to this offer.” The man pressed the gun against Henry’s temple and lifted the safety feature.
 
Amber looked at the envelope in her hands and at the gun that could end his life this very instant if she were to say no, and she knew what her answer will be. “Yes. I’ll work for your boss.” She said heavily. “Can you now release him?” She pleaded.
 
“Wise choice.” Akira nodded at his men and Henry crumpled to the ground once he was released. Amber dashed to his side and cradled his head to her chest. “Thank god you’re alright.” Amber exclaimed. She fussed over his busted lip and hugged him again but this time she dipped her head and her long hair created a curtain of privacy between them.
 
“Henry, can you walk?” She whispered into his ear and he nodded. “Good, now listen to me carefully. When I yell run, promise me that you’ll run for your life and don’t turn back.” Henry wanted to ask why but they were pulled apart before he could and she looked at him worriedly, pleading him to do as she says.
 
“Let’s leave the lovebirds reunion for later. I’m bringing you to meet Yoshida-san right now.” Akira gestured to his men and they started yelling at the bystanders to mind their own business while they proceeded down the street. Amber looked over her shoulder and she caught Henry’s eye when she turned back to the front. Not now. She gave a small shook of her head before tapping Akira’s shoulder.
 
“I think we’re being followed.”
 
“By who?” Akira frowned and turned back to look. “I think it’s Matsuka’s people.” Amber answered quietly as she made nervous glances over her shoulder. “He tends to keep tabs on his subjects.”
 
“Aren’t you the person responsible for his safety? I believe you’re the one who gives out orders on who to tail.”
 
“Yes, I am but that doesn’t mean Matsuka can’t send someone else to watch over me without my knowledge of it.” Amber rolled her eyes and grabbed Akira’s arm, hissing into his ear. “The man with the blue baseball hat, loitering outside the convenience store at nine o’clock.” Akira turned to look. “But he doesn’t look one bit suspicious. He’s pushing a stroller.”
 
“You clearly not as experience as you seem to be.” Her sneer made his blood boil and he grinded his teeth together. “What do you suggest then, Miss Know-It-All?”
 
Her hand bumped against Henry’s and he looked to her when she reached for his hand and held it tightly. “Turn into the nearest alley. I’ll get rid of him when he follows us in there.” She stared Akira down when he refuses to agree. “Fine. I suppose it’s perfectly fine for him to know where Yoshida’s lair is and bring a bunch of people to get me and also wipe the place clean,” She stood closer to him. “If you know what I mean.
 
“B.tch.” Akira muttered under his breath and he led the group into a narrow alley. “I heard that.” Amber said and he bit his tongue to stop himself from saying nasty things.
 
“Stop.” Amber let go of his hand and slowly pushed Henry to the back of the group. “This is far enough.” She glanced behind her and held out her hand. “Hand me a gun.”
 
“What for?”
 
“Duh, to kill myself.” Amber rolled her eyes and shoved her hand forward impatiently. “I have to get rid of the man, don’t I?” Akira forced himself to calm down. This b.tch isn’t worth getting worked up over. “Give the f.cking bi— I mean, hand her a gun.” He censored his words when she raised her eyebrows.
 
“It’s loaded.” Amber shoved the magazine back into the gun after checking for the round of bullets. “Yeah, yeah. Now can you get go— Aarghhh!”
 
Amber shot at each of their legs and pushed the wide eyed Henry back to where they came from. “RUN!” She shouted at him. She turned back to the men and stomp on a man’s arm when he caught her ankle. Amber kicked the man’s head to stop him and she turned around to find Henry still rooted to the spot. “Henry!” He snapped out of his daze and stumbled. “Run! I’ll find you later!”
 
Amber let out a sigh of relief when he finally found his legs and ran out of the alley. She turned around and was knocked off her feet as a fist came in contact with her jaw and she fell on the ground. She cried aloud when the man fisted her hair and dragged her to her feet. She swung the gun wildly behind her and the man howled as it came in contact with his face and released Amber.
 
She kicked his manhood and scrambled to her feet, kicking him again in frustration before sending him to his death with a shot to his head. Four dead bodies later, she approached Akira who was crawling away from her but it was useless and she jammed her boot on his gunshot wound. He released an agonized scream, writhing on the ground as Amber stepped closer and knelt next to him.
 
Nothing will change my loyalty to Matsuka.” She said quietly as he stares at her in fear. “In normal circumstances, I would kill all but one to serve as a warning to the other party but you will be an exception.” Amber got up and raised the gun at him. “No! No! I don’t want to die!” Akira lunged forward and grabbed her ankle, pleading to her. “Please!”
 
“I’m sorry.” The last gunshot echoed throughout the alley, followed by a clatter when she threw the gun away from her.
 
“You saw Henry and knew what he meant to me.” Amber tore the envelope that was given to her earlier into shreds and watches it flutter to the ground. The stark white paper slowly turned dark red as it came in contact with a pool of blood. “I can’t let any danger come to him.”
 
 
~~
 
 
Henry sat on a park bench, staring at the setting sun while rubbing his right wrist gently.
 
He was fighting to free himself when a loud gunshot rang and he stopped struggling to find the source of it. It rang the second time and the crowd dropped to their knees, quivering in fear and that’s when he saw her.
 
“Amber.” Her name escaped his lips. He momentarily forgot about his situation and stares at her in utter surprise. What is she doing with a gun?He couldn’t stop himself from staring and the next thing he knew, he was on the ground with a throbbing pain at his jaw.
 
He suffered a second punch which left him feeling disorientated and all he could comprehend was double images and a static sound in his ear. He heard the man’s voice through his fuzzy hearing and he winced at the pain.
 
He felt his heart beat faster and places a hand over it, hoping to stop it from jumping out of his chest.
 
“RUN!” He ignored her command and watches her attack the man gripping her ankle. He dropped his mouth in shock at the violence displayed by her as she kicked the man’s head like it was a football. “Henry!” He looked up and something came over him as he tripped over his feet. “Run!”
 
He stares at her for the last time before his legs carried him away to somewhere safe. He didn’t know where his legs was taking him and he wasn’t bothered by it. All he could think of at that moment was the Amber he had just witnessed.
 
She didn’t pause to blink when she shot each of the men and she fought like a cold blooded fighter, without a single remorse in the world when she jammed her feet in the man’s face.
 
The sun had disappeared below the horizon just minutes ago and the lamp above him slowly flickered to live as daylight dies out. He dropped his head and studies his wrist watch. 6.15p.m. My flight’s probably already airborne.
 
“There you are!” Henry looked up and jumped away from the bench, standing at a distance away from her. “I’ve been searching all over the place for you.” Amber noticed his odd behavior and her expression changed from relieved to confusion. “Henry, is everything okay?” She reached for him and he took two steps back which caused her to frown.
 
“No. Nothing’s okay.” His voice shook in anger. “What happened just now? Who were the men? What did they want from you? Since when did you learn to handle a gun? How can you fight like that back in the alley? I have so many things to ask you!” Henry shouted at her and she was taken aback. “I don’t mind learning new things about you but this is outrageous!”
 
“Henry, let me explain.” Amber started towards him but this only led him further away from her.
 
Henry saw the hurt in her eyes but he was far too angry to be swayed. She wasn’t the only one whose feeling hurt, he is too. It hurts him to know that there’s a never ending list of things that she’s hiding from him.
 
“No! You listen to me.” Henry raised his voice at her. “How can I trust you if you don’t trust me? Who was the Amber back there in the alley? Where did Amber that I have learned to love go?” He looked down and bit his lips before raising his head to face her. “I don’t—“ He paused to hold back a sob and this made Amber bite the insides of . “I—“
 
He stopped and turned his back to her as he placed a knuckle between his lips and squeeze both eyes shut in hopes of controlling his emotions. But that didn’t turn out very well when a pair of arms hugged him from behind and she rested her head on his back. “Ple—please don’t do this.” Henry quickly pried her arms from him and stepped away from her.
 
“I’m sorry.” Amber’s voice came out strangled. She wanted to reach for him but decided against it and her hand retracted. “I’m so sorry, Henry.” He shook his head at her and stepped away slowly. “I love you.” Henry said. “But this has to stop.”
 
Amber felt as if everything had stopped moving and that her heart was suspended in midair, ready to fall and break at any second. Both of them stared at each other and she tried to say something but nothing came.
 
“Let’s break up.” That’s when gravity resumed and her heart shattered. “Break up.” Henry mumbled to himself in disbelief and hurried away before he could change his mind.
 
Amber merely stared at his retreating figure disappear from sight and numbly walked to the park bench where she pulled her legs up and hugged them to her chest.
 
And at that moment, she did what she hates most.
 
She cried.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“I want everyone on the next plane back to Korea. I don’t want us to remain here any longer.” Amber told the group of them gathered in the living area of her hotel suite. “Matsuka’s just left Tokyo on his private jet half an hour ago. When’s the next available flight?”
 
“Four hours from now. It’s a full flight but I can kick out some people and put us on that flight.” Kibum said without looking up from his laptop. “Do it.” She told him.
 
“What’s the rush?” Luna asked irritably. “I wish to stay here longer.” Krystal nodded along in approval. “Yeah, I’ve still got lots of shopping to do.”
 
“This is for your safety.” Amber explained patiently to them. “Have you ever heard of the Yoshida clan?” They nodded. “I was approached by several of the clan members this afternoon and the meeting didn’t go well. I killed them.”
 
“Amber.” Victoria widened her eyes and stepped forward. “Why did you do it? You know very well that we don’t fight unless provoked.” She rested a hand on her waist and stared her down, a stance which means she won’t back down until she gets what she asks for. “What were you thinking? The Yoshida clan is very unpredictable and that’s also the reason why Matsuka doesn’t associate with them.”
 
“Nuna, relax. Don’t be harsh on her.” Kibum got between the two women when he noticed Amber clenching her fist and her lower lip trembled. “Kibum, get out of my way.” Victoria snapped and she turned her attention to him. “You call this harsh? Do you have any idea what Yoshida can do to us? Plus, we’re on foreign soil.” She glared at Kibum and he pursed his lips in defeat.
 
“That’s why I want all of us out of the country as soon as possible.” Amber spoke up and pulled Kibum away from the furious older woman. “Kibum has nothing to do with this. Don’t get mad at him.”
 
“Fine.” Victoria took an intimidating step forward while the others in the room tensed up, getting ready to break up the fight if any. “Why did they approach you?”
 
“They came to extend the offer for me to work for Yoshida.” Victoria raised her eyebrows when she stopped there. “And?”
 
“And I accepted the offer, only because they had Henry at gun point!” Amber answered quickly to hold back the gasps. “Why is Henry in the picture?” Krystal frowned.
 
“I was out with Henry when I noticed the men. We ran from the men but I lost him in the crowd and he was in their possession when I found him.” Victoria expression didn’t soften and remained authoritative. “Go on.”
 
“I agreed to their offer but it was only a lie to prevent them from harming Henry.” She hid her hands behind her back and nervously twists her fingers. “When the chance came, I sent Henry away before I finished them off.”
 
“That explains everything.” Joon scoffed and Luna turned around on his lap to shush him.
 
“I can’t spare anyone of them, or risk placing Henry in danger of the yakuzas.” Amber ignored his jab and pleaded to Victoria. “He’s an internationally known businessman. They would be able to trace him in an instant if any of the men got back alive to inform them.”
 
“And you’d rather have us in danger than him?” Victoria said flatly. “Although I don’t agree with your actions, what’s done is done. Let’s pray nothing bad falls upon us before we board the plane.” She walked out the room and they heard the door bang close a few seconds later.
 
“If you’re still worried about Henry, he’s perfectly fine.” Amber rushed to Kibum’s side when he called her over. “I ran a check of the immigration and he just passed the boarding gates a minute ago. He’s on his way home.” She smiled weakly and suppressed her emotions when memories of their exchange hours ago revisited her. “Tha—That’s good to know.” Kibum asked worriedly at the tremble of her voice. “Is everything alright?”
 
“Of course, it’s not.” Joon commented as he walked pass them, on his way out with Luna. “See what a liability Henry is, Amber?” He smirked and followed Luna out of the door. “Son of a b.tch.” Kibum cursed under his breath and turned to her. “Don’t you listen to him, Amber. He’s just f.cking your mind.”
 
“Unni, we’ll see you later. We’ve got loads to pack.” Krystal joked and pulled her into a hug as Sulli wrapped her arms around them. “It’s gonna be okay unni.” Sulli patted her head.
 
“Okay, spill it. There’s something bothering you.” Kibum said once they were alone in her room. “Don’t you have to pack your stuff?” He waved his hand at her way and made himself comfortable on the couch. “You’re more important than that. So, open up Eunyoung-ah.”
 
Amber smiled at the nickname that he only uses with her when they are alone.
 
“Eunyoung ah.” Kibum whined and she wrinkled her nose. “Stop calling me that. I sound like a fricking ahjumma.”
 
“No, it’s not. It fits you perfectly, Eunyoung ah.”He teases her. “I’ve always wanted to have a sister named Eunyoung. It’s such a pretty name. Like you!” Amber scoffed and swatted his arms away but he still managed to give her a hug. “Hyung, you’re so cheesy.”
 
“Who cares, Eunyoung-ee.” Kibum laughed at her discomfort.
 
“I’m waiting.” Kibum had his eyes closed as if listening to a bedtime story when he felt something warm lay across his chest. He didn’t bother opening his eyes and returned the hug. “What am I? A teddy bear?”
 
“No, you’re my hyung.” Amber tightened her arms around him and told him about her day.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Will you get me this?” Luna pointed at the jewelry store’s window display in the airport terminal. “It’s so pretty.” She looked at it in awe. It was a yellow diamond necklace pendant in the shape of a crescent moon with an intricate tiny doll laced with smaller diamonds sitting on the tail of it. She reached out and touched the window display.
 
“No, let’s go.” Joon answered without any interest and walked away while she pouted and turned back to stare at the necklace. “Luna! Hurry up.” She casts a longing glance at the necklace before running to Joon who was waiting impatiently for her.
 
“Is everyone here?” Amber started a head count and stopped when a person was missing. “Where’s hyung?” She looked around and turned to the others. “When was the last anyone of you saw him? Did he inform you that he’ll be wandering off to somewhere?” They shook their heads and casts worried glances among them. “Quick, let’s separate and find him.”
 
“I’m here.”
 
Amber whipped behind and there he was, sauntering up to them with a stick of fluffy cotton candy. “Want some?” He offered it to her and let out an exasperated breath. “Hyung, please do not toy with me.” She rolled her eyes.
 
“Yeah, we thought you were missing, punk.” Sulli took this opportunity to hit the back of his head and walked away innocently while whistling. “Young woman, get your a.ss back here. Where are your manners? How can you hit a person who is older than you on the head?” He chased after her and she giggled as her long legs out ran him.
 
“Gather up kiddos.” Victoria herded them back to the group and nodded for Amber to continue. “The flight’s scheduled to take off at midnight so,” She checked the time on her watch. “We still an hour to kill before the boarding gates close. Do what you want, just get back in time for boarding.”
 
 
~~
 
 
Kibum was walking with the twins when he came across an item at a store’s window display. He told them to go ahead without him and he entered the store, asking to have a look of the item while pointing at the window display.
 
He lifted the necklace by its white gold chain and let the pendant rest on the palm of his hand as he smiled to himself. Without any second thoughts, he paid for the item and walked out of the store feeling satisfied.
 
 
~~
 
 
“Finally.”
 
Amber groaned as she pushed herself off the terminal benches. “Feels like I’ve been waiting for ages.”
 
“It’s your fault that you didn’t go around checking out the duty free shops in the terminal like all of us did.” Kibum folded his scarf and stuffed it into his back pack. “Well, do I look like I’m interested in shopping after what happened today?” She said grimly and slung her bag over her shoulder. “Oh. I forgot.” He chuckled and looked at the long line ahead of them.
 
“I’m gonna head for the washrooms before boarding. I don’t think I can wait until we enter the plane.” She nodded and he left the line.
 
“Hello again.” Amber didn’t reply as he stepped into the spot where Kibum left a few minutes ago. “How are you?”
 
“Feeling ty at the moment so if you can help by not get on my nerves, I’ll greatly appreciate it.” She rubbed her eyes tiredly and yawns. “Where is Luna?”
 
“I don’t know. Probably at the front of the line.” Joon shrugged his shoulders and didn’t look concern. “Well, go find her. She’s your girlfriend, I assume?”
 
“I can’t think of a proper term to describe our relationship but she’s definitely not a girlfriend of mine.” Joon stood closer and whispered into her ear. “Why? Are you jealous of her?” He pressed his nose into her hair and took in her scent.
 
“F.ck off Joon.” Amber pushed him away and stepped forward to hand the attendant her boarding pass.
 
 
~~
 
 
Amber stole another glance of her watch and craned her neck to look at the plane’s entrance where passengers were still filling in. “Hyung, where are you?” She dialed his number but he wasn’t answering the phone. She looked at his empty seat next to hers and redialed.
 
“Can you reach him?” Krystal rested her chin on Amber’s headrest and her long hair fell over the latter’s face, tickling her chin at the slightest movement. “No, he isn’t.” She parted Krystal’s hair and unbuckled her seat belt. “There’s some time left. I’ll go search for him.”
 
She looked around the almost empty terminal, hoping to see him but he was nowhere to be found. She dialed his number again and walked out of the terminal, heading to the washrooms when she heard his ringtone coming from the men’s room.
 
Amber ended the call and walked in without hesitation as she was ready to scream at Kibum but there was no one in the washroom except for a familiar backpack lying on the floor. The entire place was a mess. The mirrors were shattered. The tap was running at full blast and upon closer inspection, there was blood at the edge of the sink that hasn’t been washed away by the water. Her eyes widened in fear as she snatched the backpack off the ground and rushed out of the washroom.
 
“Hyung!” She shouted while people around her gave her disapproving looks. She quickly dialed a number and looked around in complete lost as she waited for the other line to pick up.
 
“Unni! Hyung’s gone!” Amber hugged his bag closer to her chest and she sniffed while her eyes grew watery. “I don’t know! I went to the men’s washroom and all I found was his abandoned backpack.”
 
She walked over to the side and collapsed on the ground with her back against the cool glass divider. “Victoria unni, I don’t know what to do.” Amber whimpered and wiped the tears away with her long sleeve. “Please hurry, unni.” She ended the call and leaned her head back against the glass while biting her lips.
 
“Hyung, this is not funny. Stop hiding and come out.” Amber gripped her phone tightly before flinging it across the floor, alarming the people around her.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
“I’ve already lost him. I don’t want to lose you either.” She muttered as panic started to catch on which further increase her heart rate. “Eunyoung can’t lose you.”
 
She was overwhelmed by everything and she dropped her head onto her arms and started crying.