Chapter 19

Zero Gravity
“What about you? I’ve never heard you mentioned about your family, other than Sooyoung being your stepmother.” Amber tucked the long end of her fringe behind her ear since it was annoying her to no end. No longer have five seconds passed, the wind blew and her hair was whipping across her face again. “D.amn it.” She swept it away irritably.

“Well, my mother was involved in an accident when she was on an overseas assignment. She died when I was eight.” Henry had her hold the umbrella and gently brushed her hair to the side before placing his baseball hat over her head. He adjusted it and took back the umbrella while reaching for her hand. “I couldn’t remember much of her. She was almost never at home, busy jetting to different countries.”

“My father was no different. Being a workaholic took a toll on his health and now he’s in the hospital, recuperating from a . Though, after her death, he made an effort to be with me whenever he can but most of the time, I was alone.”

“I know what you mean. The feelings of misplaced. Having no one to turn to whenever there’s a problem.” She held on tightly to him and walked closer. “It was tough getting on with life after my mother’s death. I had nothing to live for, nothing that I value. I never thought about the future because it seemed bleak to me.” Amber paused. She stared into the distance, thinking about the past while Henry looked at her curiously. “I just carried on, day to day, without any motivation. I never want to feel that way ever again.”

“But you turned around.” Henry squeezed her hand and she looked to him. “Look at where you are right now.” She smiled ruefully at him and observed her feet, muttering. “You don’t know what I had to go through.”

“What did you say?” Amber lifted her head and tugged him forward. “Come on, we’d better start walking before the next round of rain comes pouring down.” They walked in silence back to her house with the orchestra of rain drops echoing loudly under the umbrella. She swung their hands between them and stole a glance at him. “What is it?” He asked without facing her.

“I’m curious about Sooyoung. There are some nagging questions..” Henry remained quiet and she mentally reprimanded herself for being blunt. “I mean, you can choose not to answer if you’re not comfortable with it.”

“Why not? I’ve already gotten over her. It’s just.. it wouldn’t be nice talking about it.” 

“Why do you say that?”

“I don’t know.” He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. “It’s weird talking about an ex-girlfriend to a current one. Won’t you feel slighted or something?” Henry was surprised when she burst out laughing.

“Do I look like the type to throw a tantrum or bawl up crying just because you’re talking about an ex?” Amber wiped the tears away from the corner of her eyes and grinned. “But to be honest, there was a pang of jealousy when you first introduced her to me.”

“Plus, I was the one who asked you about Sooyoung. So yeah, I’m okay with you talking about her.”

“Fine. What do you want to know?” Henry chuckled. They slowed their pace after passing thr bend that led to Amber’s neighbourhood. “How did she become your stepmother? Didn’t your father know she was your girlfriend?”

“No, he didn’t. I was studying overseas at that point of time and like I said, he was a workaholic so we rarely talked.” Amber nodded. “I thought she was the one and wanted to introduce her to my father after I was done with my degree but she broke up with me before I could. Sooyoung was honest about the break up. She explained that she met a wonderful man at one of the balls thrown by her family which she attended whenever she returns to Seoul from overseas. And that wonderful man turned out to be my father.”

“How did you find out?” 

“After the break up, I didn’t bother keeping in touch with Sooyoung even though she insisted that I will always be her closest friend. So, can you imagine the shock of my life when my father informed me that he was remarrying and the new wife was my ex-girlfriend?” 

“Does he now know about your earlier relationship with Sooyoung?” Amber pushed open the iron gate and they stepped off the cobblestone walkway, heading towards the canopy covered swing in her garden. 

“Nope. Sooyoung and I made a pact to never let him know about that fact.” Henry rocked the swing gently as Amber sat cross-legged next to him. “What’s the point of telling him about the past when he’s happy with the current? Everything will be more awkward if he came to know about it.”

“Aren’t you worried he’ll find out, sooner or later? There must be people who know about the both of you.” Amber watched the rain water drip from the edge of the canopy and held out her hand to collect it. 

“Not many people know about our relationship, be it overseas or here. We were very private and the only ones who know are Siwon and Sooyoung’s god sister, who was the mutual friend that introduced the two of us.” He pulled her hand away and turned to her. “What about you? I want to know about you.”

“Hmm. Maybe next time.” Amber looked from under the canopy at the dark clouds above their heads. “It’s gonna rain heavily soon. You better get back to your car before it does since you have to walk back to the café.” She dragged him away from the swing and he walked her to the door.

“Are you avoiding the topic again?” Amber inserted the key into the keyhole before facing his miffed expression. “No, I’m not.” 

“I promise I’ll tell you more about me but on another day.” He remained tight lipped and Amber offered her smallest finger to him. “Pinky promise?” 

“How old are you?” Henry laughed and held up his little finger to which she caught it and entwined their fingers. “This is childish.” She grinned. “Who cares?”

He gave her a brief smile before staring at her with a poker face. Her smile faded and looked at him quizzically when he rested his hands on her shoulders.

Amber didn’t know what was going on but she took this moment to study him. The dark environment made his already pale skin even paler and he looked funny to her with his red lips against his pale face. She held back a snigger when her eyes travelled up his face. She liked his small eyes. Although it was a sensitive topic, she teases him without fail whenever she gets the chance. He would then respond by widening his eyes with his fingers and get in her face, shouting that he has perfectly fine eyes.

Henry watched her grinned to herself and he smiled instinctively. 
 
“You should smile more instead of that ugly scrunched up face you always have on.” Henry played with her hair absentmindedly while she lay on his lap. They were watching a movie that she had brought over and he was skeptical at first about watching a cartoon about an evil mastermind and his yellow chubby minions. But he was soon giggling like a kid over the movie.

“I do not have that kind of face.” Amber looked up and wrinkled her nose at him. “You’re doing it now!” He laughed and she whacked his hands away as they tried to attack her cheeks. “Ugh, get away from me. Hey!” Amber shouted when he pulled his leg from under her head. “I nearly twisted my neck.”

“Now, stop disturbing me. I came over to watch a movie with you but if you’re not interested, shut up.” Amber pushed a pillow under her head and went back to staring at the TV screen. Henry placed a pillow on her hip and rested his cheek on it while she wriggled under him. “Hey, get off.”

“I’m bored and watching this movie is lowering my IQ.” 

“Do you even have an IQ to begin with?” She snorted. Henry rolled his eyes and ignored her jab at his intelligence. “Come on, I’m bored.”He laid his hand on her waist and started tickling her. “No!” She shouted and pushed him away. Henry fell off the edge of the couch and pulled her down with him. 

“Ouch.” She prop herself on her elbow and reached for her knee while Henry lay on his side, grinning widely at her. “You’re pretty much disabled whenever I tickle that spot.” He tugged her back down on the carpet next to him.

Amber stuck out her tongue and slapped his tummy. He exhaled in pain and rolled over which brought him closer to her, their faces only a few inches apart. “So..” Henry let the word trail and rested his face on his arm.

“So..” Amber imitated him and made herself comfortable as she adjusted her head on her arm. The movie was playing in the background but no one was watching it. “You won. You have my attention. Now what do you want?” She asked.

“Nothing much.” He studied her face before catching her eye. “I just want you to smile for me.” He whispered.

“That’s an odd request.” She laughed at him while he grinned. “That’s because I like your smile.” Amber quiet down her laughter. “Will you smile for me, Amber?” She stared at him hesitantly. “Please?” 

The sides of lifted slowly and a warm smile appeared on her face which was also accompanied by two light pink tints on her cheeks. Her smile grew wider and he saw a glimpse of her teeth before she got up and rushed off to somewhere.

Henry felt his racing heart beating against his chest and his body grew warm with a slight tingling sensation. 

And he smiled too.

“You’ll never feel that way again.”

“The feelings of being alone.” Henry added when she raised her eyebrows questioningly. “I promise. From now on, you have something to look forward to, a motivation in your life.” 

“And what is that?” Amber asked. 

“Me.” He replied confidently. “I think you’re wrong.” His smile faltered. “Why?”

“I am looking forward to something but it’s not you.” She said.

“It’s us.” 

Amber walked into him and he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a tight hug. She pressed her nose against his neck and sighed. Her frustrations about a certain someone dissipated as she closed her eyes and enjoy being in Henry’s embrace.

“Yes, you’re right.” He muttered into her ear and rocked their bodies while the rain came pouring down. 

“Us.”

 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

“You guys would be going on an overseas assignment to Japan.” Amber turned around in her chair and pointed at the man on the screen. “Yuu Saito.”

“He is one of the most prominent politicians in Tokyo and it’s no secret that he is backed by many yakuzas. He made business dealings with them and it was a mutual relationship right from the very start. Not long after Matsuka arrived in Korea, he was informed that one of his most respected sworn brothers – Takeshi Hayashi – was killed in a club raid. The police records stated that the gang was the first to retaliate which resulted in crossfire where Hayashi was shot dead.”

“Matsuka knew his brother’s peaceful character and would never submit to violence unless necessary. He may be the head of a gang but he is never unreasonable to start gunfire with the police. So, Matsuka sent people to dig deeper into the mess and he found out that the club raid was just a cover up of the real story.”

“Yuu Saito made a deal with a yakuza head whose condition on fulfilling the politician’s request was the former’s participation in the murder of Hayashi. The relationships between the two gangs are unknown but the main point was Hayashi was wanted dead and Yuu Saito made it happen.”

“Saito met Hayashi under the false pretense of finance discussion with the latter and led the men of the opposing yakuza clan infiltrate the Hayashi lair in disguise as his bodyguards. Later, more men dressed in police uniforms barged into the place and killed Hayashi and his clan members.” Amber switched off the projector and the lights came on.

“Yuu Saito is not an easy target. He knows he’s always under threat and has tight security with him at all times. The only times we can attack is when he’s on the move to his impending holiday retreat or at his vacation mansion in the mountains but it’s a remote place and the only way of immediate escape is by air.”

“We’ll go with the attack while he’s on the move.” Victoria said and the others nodded. “The ambush at the vacation mansion would be Plan B.” Kibum added and leaned back into his seat. “What about you, Amber?”

“I’ll be by Matsuka’s side for his entire Japanese business trip so I doubt I’ll be able to participate.” She reached for a folder on her desk and scanned the pages. “It’s a jam packed three day trip.”

“There are six of you on this mission. I don’t think it would be much of a problem.” She smiled at them. “Anything else? If there aren’t, you may leave.”

“I have something to say.” Everyone turned to him and Amber raised her eyebrows. “And what is it Joon?”

“Pray that lady luck be by our side.” The others laughed over his comment and he smirked but they didn’t realize the tension across the room between Joon and Amber. 

He gathered his things slowly as the others filed out of the room, leaving only the both of them alone. Amber watched him make his way to her and she took a step back when he entered passed her personal space. He cornered her against her desk and placed both hands on the either side, locking her within his arms. 

“What do you want?” Amber hissed as she leaned away from him as much as possible. “Just so you know, I’m holding back from creating a scene in the office so you better get away from me this instant.”

“Hmm.” He ignored her warning and pressed his hands over hers, preventing them from lashing out. “I wasn’t done with what I want to say.” She glanced at him wearily and he leaned in closer. 

He was aware that people were looking at them and he tightened his grip on her hands as she struggled to free them.

“I do hope you can join us. We need the lady luck with us to smoothly complete this assignment.” Joon whispered. “You are my lady luck if you’re that dense.” He stared at her pursed lips and grinned. “I suppose, a kiss on the lips would also improve my luck.”

“A.sshole.” Amber hissed. She kicked his shin and flipped him over when he loosened his grip and pinned him on the desk with her hand gripping his neck. “What is wrong with you?”

“Miss Liu, is there anything wrong?” Her secretary rushed into the office when he heard the commotion. “Shut the door.” Amber ordered. He nodded and told off the people who were intentionally walking past her office to catch a glimpse of within. She only continued when the door shut close with a click.

“What made you change to become this b.astard?” 

“You.”

“What?” Amber slammed his head on the desk. “Do not blame me. I’ve done nothing to make you change.”

“Are you sure?” Joon grabbed her waist and pulled her to him. She lost her footing and fell onto him. “Don’t you know you’re the main reason?” She struggled to get away but he wrapped both arms around her. “You made me fall in love with you.”

“And that’s my fault? All I did was be a friend to you.” Amber swung her elbow across his head and shoved herself from him. “There was nothing more to our,” She gestured between them. “Relationship.” She shook her head at him. “Nothing.”

“So it’s my fault then?” Joon stood on his feet and rubbed his jaw. “You think I can control my feelings? I’m not a robot!” He shouted and tackled her to the ground. His feet accidentally snagged the wire of the table lamp and it came crashing down too.

“A human being cannot control their feelings, but their actions can be controlled.” Amber kicked him off her and touched the gash on her cheek. “I cannot stop you from liking me but you shouldn’t go overboard with your actions when I’ve already told you many times that I do not like you.” 

“You should know where you stand. But no.” She straddled his waist and punched him repeatedly. “You even put Henry in danger and risked blowing my cover!” Joon grabbed her hands and she pushed them away, pinning them on the ground above his head.

“That’s why you should be with me. No covers, no lies that you have to continually spew out of your mouth to keep your identity in check.” Joon breathed heavily and his face was starting to swell from her punches. 

“There is no use talking sense into you.” She leaned closer and hissed. “Our conversation will forever be stuck in an infinite loop if you don’t start thinking rationally.” 

“What about you start thinking realistically?” Joon stared at her. “Make the right choice and all is well.”

“What do you mean by ‘all is well’?” 

“Want a heads up?” He cocked his head and smirked. “Things won’t be smooth flowing for anyone if you make the wrong choice.” Joon winked. He reached up and caught her lips.

“Is Joon still inside?” The door suddenly opened and Luna stepped into the room with the secretary trailing behind her. “Miss! You can’t do this!” 

“Who says I can’t?” Luna turned around and flipped him over when he caught hold of her arm. “Do not touch me.” She hissed at the man who was squirming on the ground.

She looked back up and caught sight of them. 

“What the hell is going on?” 

Amber pushed him away and got up. “I’d like to know as well. You can’t just come barging into my office.” She ran the back of her hand over .

“What are you doing with Joon?” Luna stepped forward and glared at Amber. “He’s my man.”

“He’s your man?” Amber’s eyebrows disappeared into her fringe and glanced at Joon. “I didn’t know there was something going on between the both of you.”

“Must this be reported to you as well?” She turned back to the fuming Luna. “You *****!” And she slapped Amber.

“What are you doing!” Joon dragged her away from Amber. “Are you nuts?” He pushed her aside and went back to Amber. “Hey, are you okay?”

“Get away from me.” Amber shook him off when he touched her. She grabbed her belongings from her desk and faced Luna. “You said he is your man. Then please, control him.” 

Amber glared at Joon before walking away, ignoring his calls for her.

 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

“What happened to you?” She walked passed him without saying a word. He quickly closed the door and followed after her. 

“Amber?” She dropped onto the couch and fall to her side, pushing a pillow under her head. “Why is there a bandaged on your cheek?”

“I accidentally cut myself when I was picking up broken glass shards.” She stole a glance of him sitting down on the floor next to her before shutting her eyes again. “The reason for your bad mood?”

“Nothing.” 

“And I’m supposed to believe that?” She opened her eyes to find him resting his head on the edge of the couch, staring at her. “No.” She whispered. “I just had a bad day at the office.”

“It’s not even near the time to get off work yet.” He glanced at his watch. “You can leave the office just like that?” 

“Unfortunately, no. I have to get back soon.” Amber pouted. “It’s not fair that you can take leave whenever you want.”

“’Cuz I’m the boss.” He and grabbed her hands, pulling her up. “Have you had your lunch?”

“Nope, I came straight from the office.” She followed him into the kitchen and watched him rummaged through his fridge. “Aww. You couldn’t wait to see me till our date tonight?” She rolled her eyes and pulled him away, shutting the door of the fridge with a kick of her foot. “Shut up.”

“Let’s go out to eat. I don’t get why you have to shove your head into the fridge when you know you don’t have any food in it?” He chuckled and grabbed his leather jacket off the coat hanger. “I know I don’t have food in it. I just wanted to stick my head in the fridge.”

“Why?” Amber turned around in disbelief. “My face felt warm and I wanted cool air blowing at my face.” She raised her eyebrows. “Dude, you know you can just step out of the house and have freezing air blowing at you. It’s already winter.”

“Okay, now you shut up and let’s grab lunch.” Henry locked the front door and playfully head-locked her as they walked down the steps. “You talk too much.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

“Amber is such a b.itch.” Luna stared straight ahead with her arms crossed as Joon was driving them back to the mansion. “How can she do that to you when you’re mine?”

“What do you mean by ‘you’re mine’?” Joon turned to her. “Since when we were together? I never knew there was such thing.” He raised his voice and unconsciously stepped harder on the gas pedal. “What? ‘He’s my man’?”

“You know of my feelings. I like you. But you pushed me away and steered clear of me after what happened that day in your room.” Luna said softly. “Why did you respond to my kiss? If you didn’t like me, you would have stopped me but you didn’t.” She studied his side profile and noticed a tensed vein on his neck. “Or did you kiss back because..” 

Luna looked down on her lap. “You were imagining me as Amber?”

Joon didn’t answer and it was a quiet ride back home but it wasn’t because he didn’t want to talk about it. He was analyzing his current situation and is cooking up a plan that will benefit no one except him.

Once back in the garage, he parked the car and locked the doors. “Why did you say that? I know you like me. I’m sorry for ignoring you.” He took her hand and smiled at her. “I didn’t mean to raise my voice as well.”

“I was just irritated with what happened with Amber earlier.” Joon frowned. She watched him draw lazy circles on her hand. “I never thought she would be aggressive when I broke the news to her. You want to know why I stayed behind?” Luna nodded and he knew she was dying in curiousity. He intentionally sighed and continued.

“I used to like her. I wanted to know more about her so that we can connect better which explains why you found the profile I had of her. She showed signs of liking me as well but there was no concrete answer. After a while, I realized she was toying with me when I found her with someone else. From then on, I told myself to stop liking her because she wasn’t worth it. I was heartbroken.”

Joon dipped his head to hide his tears which left Luna shocked. She was angry and felt sad for him. She reached out and he allowed her to hug him. “You’re right. She’s not worth it.” She said. He gave her a squeeze and let go. “I know.”

“I thought I couldn’t trust a woman ever again. Until I met you.” Her breath got caught in and she stared at him wordlessly. “To be honest, I didn’t like you initially but somehow you slowly got through to me.” Joon let out a small smile.

“I was confused about my feelings. After we kissed, there were many things in my head. Questions like ‘would she hurt me like how she did’ or ‘can I trust her’ popped into my mind.” Luna shook her head and held his face in his hands. “I would never hurt you. You can trust me.” She smiled when he did.

“I wanted to put an end, to leave behind whatever feelings I had for her so I decided to have one last talk with her. I told her I was no longer infatuated with her and asked to start anew as friends but it didn’t go as well as I expected.”

“Why? What did she do?” Luna frowned.

“She lashed out. She said I couldn’t do this and that no one can have the last word but her.” He smiled wearily. “I tried to reason with her but she wouldn’t accept it and fought me. In the end, she said she’ll make the feelings that I had for her come back and she kissed me.”

“She deserved the slap I gave her but why did you pull me away?” Luna touched his cut lip and he winced. “You do know that she’s in the position where she could just end your life without you knowing it.” He said.

“But—” 

“Listen to me. Just don’t cross her. I don’t you to be in trouble.” Joon pleaded to her. “I won’t. I’d do anything that you ask. I won’t make you upset.” She whispered and hugged him again.

“I know you won’t.” He half-heartedly returned the hug. “I trust you’ll listen to me well.” He stared into space with a sinister smile. If I were you Amber, I’d be worried about the days ahead if you chose the wrong man.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

“Are you feeling better?” 

“Yeah.” Henry’s unusually deep voice filled her ear while she flipped through the magazine on her lap. “I don’t see why you can’t postpone your overseas business trip if you’re feeling unwell.” 

“This is an important deal and I hope we’ll be able to close it this time.” She heard him coughing in the background. “What about you? Where is your trip taking you?”

“I’m heading to Japan with my boss for a three day trip.” Amber received her beverage and thanked the air stewardess. “My trip’s to Japan too. Do you want to meet up once you’re done with work?”

“Sure! I have a day off after that.” She smiled in response even though she knew he couldn’t see her. “I’ll see you then and rest, Henry. You’re coughing badly.” He coughed a reply to her and she shook her head. “I can’t hear what you’re saying. Just rest. I’m hanging up.”

“Who were you on the phone with?” Kibum asked and slipped one side of the headphone from his ear. “Henry. He’s also in Japan for a business trip.” She answered him and pulled the royal blue throw over her body. “We’re meeting up after work.”

“Sounds nice.” He looked past her and sighed. “I wished I could be with someone as well.” Amber followed his gaze. “What are you talking about?” She turned behind to look at the couple seating a row behind, across the aisle. “Oh. You mean Luna.” Luna was asleep on his shoulder while Joon stared at Amber and she turned back to the front. “Yeah.”

“You’re really interested in her, aren’t you?” Amber looked at Kibum from the corner of her eyes. “Hmm.” Kibum leaned back into his seat and reclined it. “I am but it isn’t mutual, as you can see.” He pulled the throw under his chin and slept on his side. 

Amber patted him comfortingly and stole a glance at them again. This time, Luna was awake and glaring at her.

 
 
~~
 

“We knew he would use a decoy but not [i[decoys[/i].” Sulli untied the tight bun and her hair fell past her shoulders. “Unni, we assassinated the decoy and he got away!” She turned to Amber who was on the phone. “Unni!”

“Sulli, chill.” Kibum nudged her without looking up from his laptop. “We’ll get him.” 

“But oppa, Saito would now be on high alert after finding out about the assassination. His mansion would be more heavily guarded.” 

“We don’t have to enter the compound. We can eliminate him from afar.” Amber ended her call and walked to them. “We?” Luna asked. “Matsuka has ordered me to join the team to finish him.” Amber told her and Luna scowled. “Always his favourite. He couldn’t trust us to complete this mission and have to send you along with us?” She said in a condescending tone.

“He just wants the target to be confirmed dead soon. That’s all.” Luna scoffed and rolled her eyes. “Yeah right.” Amber pursed her lips and ignored her. “We have to be at the mountains before sundown. Let’s get this over with by tonight.” 

 
 
~~
 

“Joon, Luna, Sulli. You guys keep a look out for the patrolling men. They are equipped with night vision goggles and armed.” Amber gave them their orders and they disappeared into the darkness of the trees. “Krystal, you’ll stay in the helicopter with Kibum. Victoria and I will take aim.”

The two women trudged through the thick snow and stopped when the lit mansion came into view after the walking passed the huge jagged boulder. 

“Yuu Saito is in his study room on the second floor, the first room on your left.” Amber mounted the rifle on a snow clear patch of ground and Victoria scanned the mansion with thermal vision binoculars while Kibum provided updates. “There are ten men on snowmobiles within the radius of six hundred yards of the mansion. Be on high alert.”

“It’s a clean shot from here.” Victoria told her as Amber looked into the telescopic sight and angled it until her target came into view. “Yeah.” Her finger lingered over the trigger and she exhaled. “We just shot down five men and hid their bodies and snowmobiles. What’s the progress?” Luna asked.

“Amber is preparing to shoot.” Victoria answered as she watches the man through the binoculars. “Anytime now.”

Amber was ready to pull the trigger when a little boy appeared out of nowhere and crawled onto the lap of the man. She immediately move away from the rifle and demanded further information from Kibum. “Who’s the kid? I thought we were cleared.” 

“He’s Saito’s son. He just rushed into the room from his nursery. I couldn’t tell where the boy was running to until it was too late.” Not long after a woman, presumably the nanny judging from her outfit came into the room and called for the boy who refused to follow her. The boy threw a fit and the man sent the nanny away, leaving the son with him.

“Doesn’t seem like the boy is budging from his father’s lap.” Victoria commented and dropped the binoculars. “What’s our plan now?”

“Another three men down. Bodies are piling up and the security back at the mansion will grow suspicious when their men aren’t returning from their rounds.” Sulli’s informed them and Victoria turned to her. “Amber?”

“Hyung, how many men are there at the mansion?” She scanned the grounds of the mansion where men with short barreled rifles patrol it.“Approximately fifty men outside and another thirteen inside.” Amber stood still in deep thought. “Can we enter the compound without triggering an alarm and a passage to the inside without going through the front?”

“I can guide you in by following the camera blind spots since we can’t tamper the camera feed without raising suspicion. The only room in the house where a camera isn’t fitted is the laundry room in the basement. You’d have to sprint across the lawn and slide yourself into the room by the narrow window.”

“What about extraction?” Victoria asked. “We’ll head over when you’re ready. The chopper will land on the lawn and we’ll hold back the men.”

“Okay, people. We’ll enter the compound and eliminate him. Do not harm the child or the women.” Amber and Victoria reached for the mask around their necks and covered their faces as the harsh wind blew. “Gather the guns from the dead men. We’ll be using the snowmobiles as well.”

 
 
~~
 

“Ow!” “Hey, watch where you’re touching.” “Ger’off me.” 

“Shh!” Amber hissed and the light of her short barreled rifle. “Can you guys get any louder?” Sulli shoved Joon away from her and jumped to her feet while massaging her hip and reached out to help Victoria. “Kibum, what are the visuals?”

“Exit the basement and turn on your first right then left and another left.” They followed his directions and climbed up the flight of stairs onto the first level. “Walk past the kitchen and take the maid’s elevator up to the second floor.”

“Once out of the elevator, the study room is on your left.” The five of them were squeezed into the tiny elevator shaft and spilled out immediately when the doors opened on level two. The maid that was waiting for the elevator stared speechlessly at them with a vacuum cleaner with her. 

“Move out of the way and no harm will come to you.” Amber stepped forward cautiously but was taken aback when the maid attacked her. The maid had swiftly unassembled the vacuum cleaner and swung the metal extension rod at Amber, who ducked in time. 

Amber swept her feet under the maid but the latter jumped to avoid it and kicked Amber. She hooked her foot around the maid’s ankle and pulled to which she fell. Amber scrambled over her and snatched the fallen rod, swinging it at the maid and her head fell limply to the side. Amber got to her feet and threw the rod away. “Forget what I said earlier. Just don’t harm the child.”

“I just intercepted a radio conversation and the remaining three men on patrol duty have found the dead bodies and alerted the security at the mansion. Work quickly.”

“You heard him. Let’s separate. Joon will come with me. Unni,” Amber turned to Victoria and handed her rifle over. “You’ll lead Luna and Sulli to cover for us. Use this, you’ll need more ammo.”

“Are you crazy? What about you?” Amber shoved the rifle into her hands when Victoria refused to accept it. “I have my handgun and besides, Joon has one with him.” He nodded. “I won’t let anyone harm her.”

“You better, or you will answer to me.” Victoria warned him and dragged the two away while Amber and Joon headed in the other direction.

He rushed into the study room with his rifle is front of him the moment Amber opened the door but there was no one in the room. “Kibum, where is Saito? He’s not in the study.”

“Unni, he just went to put his son to bed. He’s still in his son’s room.” Amber and Joon shared a glance and quickly rushed out when gunfire rang from the floor below them. “Krystal where is the son’s room?” She shouted over the noise. “Behind you!” Amber pushed Joon out of the way and shot the man behind him before he could raise his gun. “On the third floor, the first room on your right.”

“Quick!” Joon pushed her towards the stairs and leaned over the railings, firing at the men that were climbing up. “I’ll cover for you.” Amber dashed up the stairs and met with two unarmed men. She ducked passed the first when he swung his fist at her and she hit the gun at the back of his neck, causing him to lose balance and fall down the stairs. 

The second man was a little on the scrawny side and she easily overcame him. Amber punched him and grabbed hold of his head, twisting it swiftly before throwing him aside. She pulled out her gun when she reached the landing and turned right into the quiet hallway while gunfire continued on the floors below.

She held the gun in a hand and slowly turned the door knob in another when an arm s around her neck and pulled her away. Amber rammed her assailant into the wall behind her repeatedly until she was freed from the chokehold. She turned around with her gun raised. “Yuu Saito.”

“What do you want from me?” The man had his arms in front of him as if calming a mad dog. “I want nothing from you but someone else wants you dead and I’m here to carry out the order.” She shot him in the head and walked away. “Saito’s dead.” She informed the others and stopped in her footsteps when she heard a door creak open.

A small hand closed its fingers around the door and wanted to open it but Amber stopped it. She opened the door wide enough only for her to enter and shut it behind her when she was in the room. The little boy no older than five years old stared up at her. “Who are you?” The boy asked innocently in Japanese. “Why are you wearing a mask?”

“I’m no one important.” She replied fluently. Amber guided the pajamas clad boy away from the door and lifted him onto his bed. “Where’s daddy?” She tucked the boy in and wrapped the blanket around him. “Daddy’s busy and asked me to put you to sleep. Now, be a good boy and sleep, okay?” He nodded tiredly and closed his eyes. 

“Amber where are you? Kibum’s already on the lawn waiting for us.” Victoria’s voice cackled into her ear as she watched the boy sleep peacefully, not knowing that he had just lost his father a few minutes ago. “I’m sorry.” She whispered. “I was only following orders.” She took a last glance at him before she got up and left the room.

 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

“Matsuka’s in a good mood.” Joon walked up to her with two flutes of champagne and offered one to her. She was standing by the side of the grand ball room in the hotel that they were staying in as Matsuka threw a sudden party, inviting everyone that he knows in Japan. People thought he was just being generous for holding the party since there was nothing to do with business but only those in the know knew his reason for celebrating. “He’s definitely in a joyous mood after knowing he has avenged for his sworn brother’s death.” Amber took the flute from him. “Thanks.”

“And it’s thanks to us that his wish is finally fulfilled. To us.” He held his flute to her and she clink it. “To everyone’s effort.” He watched her raised the flute to her lips and cursed under his breath when she pulled away because of her ringing phone. “Sorry. Hello?”

“Amber, are you staying in the Grand Hadell?” 

“Yeah, I am. Why do you ask Henry?” Joon expression changed immediately and he glares at the phone she was talking into. “Nothing. Just to make sure I got the right hotel before picking you up tomorrow.” Amber looked down at her heels and grinned. “It’s not tomorrow. It’s the dayafter tomorrow, you idiot. Where are you staying?”

“Whatever. I’m staying at The Plaza. It’s not that far away from yours.” Henry scribbled on a piece of paper and handed it to the hotel receptionist while whispering to the latter with a hand over the phone. “How’s your business deal? Did it go well?”

“Yeah, I just came back from sealing the business deal and I’m feeling great. Maybe I should head out to party.” The receptionist nodded at his instructions. Henry walked over to the seats and plopped himself down. “It’s not only you. My boss’s also celebrating too. He’s holding a party in the hotel ballroom but I’m bored.”

“What’s the occasion?” Henry tugged his jacket around him and crossed his arms. “Like you, he has just closed a deal that he had wanted to conclude ever since he came over to Korea.” He turned around when the receptionist notified him that his request has been performed. “Then why are you bored? It’s a party and there’s food.” He .

“It’s not always about food dude.” Amber rolled her eyes. “I’ve been to almost every single party that Matsuka’s thrown and it’s getting old.” The manager in charge of the party approached her and she put Henry on hold. “Miss Liu, I’m sorry to bother you but you are needed at the lobby to resolve an issue.”

“What is it?” Amber furrowed her eyebrows at him. “I’m not too sure, Miss. I was just notified to inform you.” He bowed at her and walked away. “Henry, something just came up. I’ll talk to you later.” 

“Is there something wrong?” Joon asked. He couldn’t resist a grin as he watched her down the flute before handing it to him. “I’m not sure. I’m heading down to the lobby to find out. Thanks for the drink.” She patted his arm and walked away. “My pleasure.” He looked down at the empty flute and smirked. “See you later Joon.”

“I’ll see you soon.” He winked at her. She felt something was off about him but brushed it off and exited the ballroom.

 
 
~~
 

Amber felt sick at the slightest movement and tried not to move her head too much as she approached the hotel reception. “I’m Amber Liu. I was asked to come down regarding an issue. What is the problem?”

“I’m so sorry Miss Liu. It was about the hotel room arrangements and we managed to resolve it not long ago. We made a mistake in the booking of rooms. It’s nothing major.” The receptionist bowed at her sheepishly. “I apologize for the inconvenience we caused you.”

“It’s fine.” Amber grimaced and held her head while gripping the counter, discomfort etched across her face. “Are you okay Miss?” The concerned receptionist came out from behind the counter and told her friend to take over her position. “I’m feeling very dizzy. Can you notify my people back in the ballroom that I won’t be returning? I’d like to retire to my room.”

“Sure. I’ll accompany you back to your room.” Amber put out a hand to stop her. “I’m alright. I can get back to my room on my own.” She took a wobbled step and the receptionist caught her arm in time. “At least allow me to you to the elevators.” Amber nodded absentmindedly.

A man stood in the shadows and watched her walk cautiously across the lobby to the elevators with the help of the receptionist. He strode out of his hiding spot when her elevator door closed and watched the carriage take her back to her floor. One side of his mouth lifted into a smirk as he entered the next elevator and pressed the button that will take him to the same floor as her.

The elevator doors slide open and she took a deep breath before stepping out of it. Amber quickly leaned against the wall and closed her eyes, trying to stop her vision from spinning around. After a short rest, she pushed herself away and started walking down the quiet hallway while taking out her keycard. 

“I’m not even close to drunk. Why is this happening?” She mumbled under her breath. Amber leaned her forehead on her hotel room door and blindly pushed the keycard into the door. “Where is the damn keyhole?” She groaned and knocked her head lightly on the door when a hand closed around hers.

Amber immediately turned to the person and regretted it because it sent her head into a spinning frenzy. “You? What are you doing here?” She let out an agonized groan as she recognized him and he caught her in his arms when she passed out.

He inserted the card into the reader and pushed down the wooden lever door handle when the light blinked green. He stuck a foot out to keep the door open and carried the unconscious her into the room.