Chapter 14

Zero Gravity
Long limbs appeared from under the blanket as he stretched them across the cool bed sheets. Joon opened his eyes but closed them immediately because the room was too bright and rested an arm over his eyes.

“Urgh.” He dropped his arm and slowly opened his eyes again. Wincing at the light, he shifted his body so that his back was facing the windows and looked over his shoulder when he heard footsteps. A person came into view and Amber smile at him. “Oppa.”

“Oppa?!” Joon exclaimed, surprised she would call him that. “Yeah, oppa.” He blinked and his image of Amber was replaced with Sulli. “Sulli?” He pushed himself off the bed.

“What?” Sulli shoved the pills and a glass of water at him. “Nothing.” He shook his head, I was dreaming. “What are these?” He pushed the pills around on his palm with his finger.

“It’s for your hangover.” She stood with her arms crossed. “So what happened yesterday?” Sulli watched him downed the glass of water. 

“Oww.” Joon touched the side of his mouth. “What do you mean?” He walked to the bathroom and looked into the mirror.

“I mean, why were you and Henry fighting?” Sulli leaned against the bathroom’s door frame. “Unni wouldn’t tell us why.” She pouted. “Come on, throw me a bone.”

“Where’s Amber?” Sulli shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know. She left the house before I woke up. So, spill!”

“I don’t remember anything.” Joon looked at her through the reflection. “What? Not a single thing?” He shook his head and she stomped away. “Fine. I’ll just make up some wild imagination of mine to make sense of the situation.” She said aloud and slammed his bedroom’s door.

“Not a single thing from last night,” He the faucet. “Left my mind.” He gathered the water in his cupped hands and splashed his face. “It was the night that I first kissed her.” Joon smiled at himself in the mirror. 

“Even though it was only on the cheek.” 


 
~~


Henry stopped thrashing in bed and sat up, swinging his legs to the side of the bed. He was annoyed that last night’s scenes were still stuck in his head.

He walked around the first floor with drinks in hand, searching for Amber when he saw her in a man’s embrace. His smile left his face as he watched the man tightened his grip around her. “Oh.”

Henry looked down at the drinks. “Looks like the Grinch won’t be needing her whiskey.” He set the glasses down on a table. He stole a glance at them and walked away but he did a double take when he noticed her struggling against the man who was then holding her by the neck.

He rushed towards them and pulled the man away from Amber. “Joon?” 


Henry leaned across the bed and snatched his pillow, hugging it as he sat cross-legged with his chin resting on the pillow.

“Is he usually like that?” Henry clenched his fist, glaring back at Joon. “Because if he is, he can be sued for ual harassment.” He held Amber by the waist protectively, bringing her closer to him when she was pulled out of his grasp. 

Everything that followed after moved in slow motion as if Time had decided to play tricks on him and make him suffer. Henry watched helplessly at Joon wrapping his arms around Amber while he moved slowly towards them as if something was weighing him down. Lifting his legs seems like a huge effort and his eyes were fixed on Joon who snatched away Amber’s hand that was separating their mouths and leaned into her.


He stared into space as a hand unconsciously reached up, touching his temple where it hurts. 

Joon punched him twice but Henry caught hold of his leg with his own and pulled, sweeping Joon off his feet, landing him on the ground. He got up quickly and Henry was about to attack when he was grabbed from behind and Joon was dragged away by Amber.

“Dude! Calm down!” Siwon whispered urgently into his ear. “Let me go!” Henry tried shrugging him off but Siwon tightened his grip. “Stop it, Henry!”

And he did, his eyes following Amber and Joon disappearing into the crowd. 


Henry dropped his face into his hands, mumbling. He stopped himself when he heard noises coming from outside of his room. “Who’s here so early in the morning?” He grabbed the baseball bat from under his bed and left the room. 

He closed the door behind him quietly and tip-toed with the bat held in front of him. Henry sneaked a peek and entered the living area when his eyes fell on a bag. He jabbed it curiously with the bat and looked over at the front door.

A pair of ballet flats was arranged neatly next to his high tops. “Amber?” He followed the sound of the noise which led him to the kitchen. He stopped by the entrance and leaned against the wall. She looks like she belongs in my kitchen, a smile appeared on his face while he observes her.

“You’re awake.” Amber was at the stove with her back facing him. “How did you know I’m here?” He asked in surprised.

“My spider senses were tingling. Anyway, breakfast is almost ready. Why don’t you go wash up?” She tasted her cooking before nodding to herself. “Okay.” He rushed to his bedroom and brushed his teeth as fast as he could and returned to the kitchen.

“I made stew.” Amber brought over a steaming pot and set it on the table before taking off her apron, looking at Henry for the first time that morning. “Oh my. What are you wearing?” She laughed, hanging the apron by the hook on the wall. 

Henry touched his body, looking down at his white wife beater and his watermelon pyjama bottoms. “It’s comfortable.” He felt his ears growing hot. “That’s what it matters.”

“I think it’s cute.” She tilted her head at the dancing cartoon watermelons. “Even though it doesn’t quite suit with the upper half of your body.” Amber patted his arm and walked past him to her seat. “Better luck next time.”

“Who cares? Just as long as I don’t go out wearing these.” Henry sat down in the seat opposite hers. “The food looks good.” 

He coughed hard after taking a spoon of kimchi stew. “It’s spicy!” Henry wheezed at her and she hastily poured him a glass of water. 

“I’m used to eating spicy food.” She ate a mouthful of rice. “You can have the steam egg for yourself if you can’t stand the stew.” 

“It’s okay. You cooked this for me after all,” Henry took a sip of the stew and turned to the glass of water in his other hand. “You’re gonna be full of water before the end of the meal.” Amber sunicorned at him going back and forth between the stew and his drink. 

“Stop drinking and eat your food.” She switched the kimchi stew with the bowl of steam egg for him. “I’ll prepare a less spicy stew for you next time. So for now, just focus on the egg.”

“You’ll be an excellent wife.” Henry switched the stew back to its original position and continues eating it even though his nose was starting to run. “You’re super neat and cooks well, which the opposite of me.”

“Thanks.” She smiled at him. “I learned only from the best. Vic unni is a terrific cook. If you were to compare,” Amber rested her chin on her hand. “Mine’s probably at level 3 while she’s at the expert level.” Henry nodded at her with his mouth full of food. 

“You name it, she’ll cook it.” Amber reached forward and pressed a finger on his rounded cheek. “You look like a chipmunk.”

“Whatever.” Henry waved his spoon at her. “You should learn more Victoria.” He finished his meal and leaned back. “I’d like to try more of your cooking.” She nodded and he watched her silently as she ate her breakfast. ”And..”

“I’m sorry.” He looked down and played with his fingers. “For?” Amber asked. “For getting into a fight with your friend.” She nodded. “Oh.” 

“I couldn’t stand the way he was forcing himself on you even though he was drunk.” Amber didn’t say anything and continued nodding. “Please don’t be mad at me.” He said timidly when she didn’t answer him.

“Why should I be?” Amber laughed. “You’re not?” She shook her head. “If I was, I wouldn’t have dropped by to check on you and also prepare breakfast.” 

“Talking about you dropping by my house,” Henry rested his elbows on the table and scrutinizes her. “How did you get inside here?”

“I broke the lock and snuck in.” Amber piled the dirty dishes and brought it to the sink. “You should invest in a better security system.”

“You did?” He followed her. “But I would have heard the alarm went off!”

“I’m a ninja.” She smirked at him. “Nah, just pulling your leg. Siwon was here when I arrived and he let me in.” Henry took a kitchen towel and dried the dishes. “He said he spent the night here after getting you home.”

“Oh.” Henry said lamely. “So, Siwon..” Amber passed him a bowl. “Does he have a girlfriend?” 

“No, he doesn’t.” He was polishing it with the towel when he stopped abruptly. “Wait, why do you ask?” Amber shoved the last bowl into his hands. “Nothing. Just curious.” And she walked away.

“Hey.” Henry wiped the bowl hurriedly and went after her. “What do you mean by ‘just curious’?!”


 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“I just spoke to the doctor and she says you’re free to go home.” Victoria sat at the edge of the bed. “You have to be very careful since you’re living on your own.”

“Yes, Victoria.” Nichkhun smiled at her and reached for her hand. “What a wonderful girlfriend I have.”

“So, you better not make her worry.” She squeezed his hand. “Okay, let’s get you home.” She opened the bedside table and kept his belongings in a bag. “I bought you a set of new clothes to wear.” She placed a folded pile on the bed. “Thanks.”

“What do you w— Sorry.” She reached into her bag for her cell phone. “Hello?” Victoria put a hand over the phone and whispered to him. “I have to take this call.”

“Go ahead.” Nichkhun waved at her and she left the room. “Ow.” He slowly put on his shirt and buttoned it when he heard the door opened. “That was fast.”

“Hyung.” Nichkhun lifted his head. “Changsik, what are you doing here?” He looked past Changsik at the door. “I went to the store but you weren’t there.” Changsik went closer to the bed. “I have important news to update you about.”

“What?” Nichkhun lowered his voice even though there was no one else in the room. “You better do it quick,” He stole another glance at the door. “I have someone with me.” 

“A new shipment of drugs is set to be collected a month from now.” Changsik took out a piece of paper and passed it to him. “It’s scheduled to arrive at this port.” Nichkhun flattened the paper on the bed and read the hurried handwriting. “And this shipment also includes the currency printing plates.” 

“You’re sure?” Changsik nodded his head. “I heard the entire conversation.” 

“I’ll inform Boss.” Nichkhun folded the piece of paper and dropped it into his pocket. “You better get out of here before –“ 

“Nichkhun, I have to leave.” Victoria entered the room and stopped short when she saw Changsik. “Oh, you have a friend.” 

“Yeah,” Nichkhun explained to her as she reached for her bag. “He came by to visit.”

“Hello.” She bowed at Changsik, who also returned the greeting. “There’s an emergency that I’ve to attend to. Can you get home by yourself?” Nichkhun nodded. “Yeah, I’ll be fine.”

“Okay.” Victoria leaned forward and pecked him on the cheek. “Call me when you get home.” She turned and rushed out of the room

“Wow, she’s beautiful.” Changsik commented when they were alone and he raised his eyebrows at Nichkhun. “Who is she?” 

“That’s none of your business.” Nichkhun responded curtly and gestured at his luggage bag. “Now, help me pack my stuff.”


 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Very funny,” Amber came out of the kitchen with a bag of potato chips and climbed up the stairs with the dogs at her heels.

“No, I don’t need you to introduce me to Siwon.” Henry lay on the couch with an arm behind his head. “You sure?”

“Henry, I’m not interested in him!” She looked down as the black Husky bumped its head against her. “Then give me a reason.”

“Fine, I’ll tell you why I asked about him.” She sandwiched the phone between her ear and shoulder before rubbing Luc’s head. “Sulli pestered me to ask.”

“Sulli?” He bolted up in a sitting position. “She’s interested in Siwon?”

“Maybe she fancies him, I don’t know.” She reached for the doorknob and held the door open for the dogs to enter. “Now that I have told you, stop harassing me.”

“I wasn’t harassing you,” Henry defended himself. Liar, a small voice filled his head. “I was just being curious.” 

“Oh yeah,” Amber dropped herself on the bed and reached for a pillow, resting her cheek on the smooth surface. “There’s a hard-boiled egg in the red pot. It’s for you.”

“To eat?” Henry left the couch and walked to the kitchen. “No. It’s for your bruises.” He lifted the pot’s lid and took out the egg. “Especially the one on your face.”

“Hopefully, the bruise will fade before you head to work tomorrow.” Amber sat crossed-legged and tore open the bag of potato chips.“Thanks. Hmm.. why are you being so nice?” 

“Must there be a reason for me to be nice? If you really want to know, it’s because I’m awesome.” Henry scoffed, cracking the egg on the kitchen top and peeled the shell off. “Uh-huh.” He wrapped the egg in a towel and pressed it on his temple. “Also, thanks for the breakfast. It was delicious.” 

“Hmm.” Amber popped a chip into and munched slowly. “Are you eating chips?” Dang, she munched quickly and swallowed. “Busted.”

“Isn’t it too early for junk food?” He laughed. “It’s my stomach. I can do whatever I want.” Henry massages his temple with the egg and he walked to his bedroom. “You’re not worried about putting on weight?”

“Pfft,” Amber stuffed with chips. “I don’t worry about petty things like that. It’s not like I eat junk food every single day.” She said while fixing her eyes on the Huskies, who were sniffing around her room. “Yah! Luc, Jules, come back here.” 

“Huh?” The dogs went to her obediently and sat before her. “I was calling for the dogs.” Amber whipped her head around at the sound of a door opening.

“Oh.” He opened his closet. “S.hit!” Henry took out a set of clothes and threw them on the bed. “What?” 

“Huh..uh.. nothing.” Amber got off the bed while maintaining eye contact with the man in her room. “I’ve got to go. Chat with you later. Hmm.. yeah, bye.” She ended the call and placed her hands at her hips. “What are you doing in my room Joon?!”

“I came to use your bathroom.” Joon was standing in her room, except for the towel wrapped around his waist and another in his hand. “What happened to yours?” Amber kept her eyes on his and refrained from looking any where lower than his shoulders.

“Something’s wrong with the plumbing and the others won’t let me into their rooms so I had to come here.” Joon dried his hair as he walked towards her. “Stop dripping water around my room and why can’t you put on a shirt?” She coughed to cover up the squeak she accidentally let out. 

“I just came out of the shower, what do you expect?” He lowered his voice and . “Why? Am I making you uncomfortable?” He reached for her but she danced out of his grasp.

“Yes.” She grabbed the bag of chips off the bed. “Anyway, how are you feeling?”

“Better than when I first woke up. And,” Joon followed Amber to her closet, dipping his hand into the bag of chips. “Where did you disappear to so early in the morning?”

“I went to the grocery store to get something.” She snatched a hoodie off its hanger and passed it to him. “Here. Put this on.” He looked at it and back to her.

“I want apologise for my behaviour last night.” He didn’t do as she says and just held onto the hoodie. “I’m sorry.”

“I know you didn’t mean it, you were drunk after all.” Amber leaned against the wall outside her walk-in closet and offered the chips to him. “I’ll kick your the next time you do something like that.”

“Nah, I doubt you’ll ‘kick my ’,” He chuckled. “You’ve already grown too fond of me.” He looped his arm through hers and went cuddly on her. 

“Yah!” She scoffed, staring at him making cute faces at her. “Cut it out!” She laughed, shaking him off her. “Act like man your age.”

“Okay, if that’s what you want.” Joon dropped his cute act and stood in front of Amber, trapping her by placing his hands on wall on the either side of her. “This seems more appropriate of a man my age.” He looked into her eyes; his voice became a soft whisper. “Don’t you agree?”

“Not every man acts like you.” Amber broke eye contact and made a mistake of looking down at his well-toned body. “Why didn’t you put on the hoodie like I asked you to?” She noticed the grey hoodie lying next to his feet. “Amber.”

“What if,” Joon’s eyes ran across her face and stopped at her lips. “What if I wasn’t drunk yesterday? What if I meant it?” His heart beats faster when her lips curved into a smile and a hand crept onto his chest. “I would probably return the kiss.” She said.

“Really?!” Joon widened his eyes in surprise, his skin tingling as her hand rested on the back of his neck. “Yeah.” She pulled him closer and he closed his eyes, her voice filling his ear. 

“In your dreams!” 

With that, Amber shoved him away from her, laughing as she did so. “I got ya!” Joon was stunned for a second before he recovered. “I thought I was getting lucky here.” 

“Like I said, in your dreams.” Amber turned him around and guided him across the room. “Now, get change before yo- ahhhhhh!” Amber had forgotten about the dogs sleeping at the foot of her bed and tripped over Jules. She grabbed hold of Joon’s arm to balanced herself but he was caught off guard and both landed on the floor.

“Ouch. My .” Amber winced while moving her lower body. “Are you okay?” Joon hovered over her, checking for any signs of damage. “Yeah, just my and elbow hurts a little. Sorry for pulling you down with me.” 

She looked up at him as tiny droplets fell from his damp hair onto her face. It was only then did she realise how close both of them were. Joon was on top of her with their faces were only a few inches apart. She stared at him and for the first time, noticed the good-looking side of him.

Joon brought his hand to her face, gently wiping away the water droplets and slowly lowered his head. 

“Amber!”

Both looked away from each other and at the person standing at the door of her bedroom. “Uh..” Kibum stared at them, taking in their compromising position. Joon had only a towel around his waist and Amber was on the floor beneath him. “Am I interrupting something here?”

“No, hyung!” Amber found her strength and got up with the help of Joon. “Nothing happened! I accidentally fell and pulled him down with me. That’s all!” She rushed to Kibum. “Do not spread rumours around this house.”

“What do you take me for? I’m not some ahjumma.” Kibum gave her an offended look. “And I’m too busy to care about your little romp. Wahhh, who knew you had it in you?”

“Hyung!” Joon laughed, noticing her ears had grown bright red. “Stop messing with her. It’s already bad enough that she saw my perfect body,” Joon was waved his hand down his body. “I’m afraid too much shock would send her off balance.” 

Anyway,” Kibum snapped his fingers at them, getting their attention. “Im Gihyuk is back on radar.” Amber crossed her arms. “When?”

“He just passed immigration fifteen minutes ago.” Joon followed her and crossed his arms too. “Who is this Im Gihyuk?”

“He’s our guy on the wanted list.” Kibum held the tablet computer for them to see. “This is Im Gihyuk.” He tapped the surface and a candid picture of a well-dressed man appeared. “This was taken from the security cams as he exited the terminal.”

“Why is he wanted dead?” Joon flipped through the images to get a better look. “He supplied Matsuka with fake .” Amber piped from the side while looking at the pictures. “Or more specifically, he delivered with the real ones on the surface and the rest in the box was white powder.”

“That’s enough for Matsuka to get rid of him?” Kibum lowered his voice and pulled them closer to him. “I heard from one of Matsuka’s security that Gihyuk also played around with his woman.”

“So, jealousy is also a part of it.” Joon nodded his head. “Don’t go around gossiping or we’ll get into trouble.” Kibum warned them. “What’s the plan?” Joon asked.

“Get him dead before he has another chance of leaving the country.” Kibum took back the tablet computer from him. “I’m planning of getting it done tonight. Do you have any problem with it?” He asked.

“Tonight then.” Amber agreed with him. “Okay. I’ll gather the details and update you guys later.” Kibum told them and rushed off, leaving Joon and her alone again.

“I’d be going then.” Joon turned to her and she nodded. “Yeah.” He grabbed the door knob and walked out of the room but stopped midway. “Thanks for letting me use your bathroom.”

Amber nodded again and leaned against the door after he had shut it. “Please stop thumping like crazy.” Her eyes rolled to the ceiling while she pressed a hand over her heart.


 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Hyung, are you sure you want to do this?” Amber asked as she looked at the club from inside of their car. “This place is crowded.”

“I checked his schedule and he’s flying out tonight.” Kibum stared at the club’s bouncer managing the line of people outside. “If we don’t do it now, god knows when he’ll be back in Korea again.” 

“I’m more curious than surprised when you asked to be the one to finish him off,” Amber tapped a finger on the steering wheel. “You said this is a chance for both you and Krystal to learn the ropes of other positions,” She glanced at him. 

“Yeah, she should practice her hacking skills and under Victoria’s guidance, it’s not much of a problem since I’ve taught her well.” Kibum fixed the silencer onto his gun. “And I should also gather on-field experience.”

“But I don’t think it’s that simple.” Amber stared at him. “You never go on-field unless there’s no choice and you wouldn’t budge even when I threatened you but here you are volunteering to do it. Hyung, is there something I should know?” He didn’t answer her and nodded at the vibrating phone on her lap. “Don’t you want to answer that?” She eyed him and she reached for the phone. “Hello?”

“Henry, I’ll call you back later.” Amber whispered. “Yeah, I’m currently busy. Bye.” Amber ended the call and switched off the phone. “What about you? Is there something I should know?” Kibum raised his eyebrow questioningly.

“What are you talking about?” She frowned at him. “What’s up between you and Joon?” Amber rested her elbow on the window sill, her head leaning against her palm. “Nothing.”

“Well, it didn’t seem ‘nothing’ to me when I entered your room.” Kibum in a sing-song voice. “You guys look like you were about to kiss.”

“You have to get you eyes checked.” Amber said nonchalantly as she drew lazy circles on the window. “Nothing like that ever happened.”

“Of course nothing happened,” He nudged her playfully. “If it weren’t for me, who knows, you might just have your first kiss.” Amber snorted and the words came out of even before she realised it. “I’ve already had my first kiss.“

“What?!” Kibum looked at her in shock. Oh s.hit, Amber pursed her lips. “Who stole my sis’s first kiss! You’re not the type to make the first move, you hate men!” He stopped. “Except me. But back to you,” Kibum reached for her hands, holding them in his. “Were you forced? Tell me who is it and I’ll make his life miserable!”

“Hyung, what’s the big deal?” Amber laughed but it soon turned awkward when he stared at her as if she’s a freak. “Right..” She muttered and Kibum flicked her forehead. “It hurts!”

“Your first kiss should be special and with the person you like.” He sighed when she pouted at him and he reached forward, massaging the forming red spot. “Henry was my first kiss.” Amber said cautiously. “We were in a sort of situation which required it.” She stole a glance at Kibum who was silently massaging her forehead. “You’re not gonna kick his right?”

“Nope, I like him.” Kibum pushed her head away from him. “What? So the whole ‘I’m-going-to-smash-him-to-pieces’ attitude was nothing?” 

“Henry kissing you, it’s fine by me.” He turned back his attention to the club. “You like him anyway.”

“I don’t.” Kibum scoffed at her answer. “Trust me. You do, and I can confidently say it’s mutual.” Both of them sat in silence and the only sound heard was the hum of the engine.

“Hyung,” Amber asked softly as she rested her head back on the headrest. “How do you know whether you like someone?”

“You start paying more attention to the person, your heart races when you share the slightest touch.” She noticed a small smile forming on his face. “You’d want to spend more time around the person. You’d fuss and worry about the other. And the feeling of nothing matters around you when you’re together.” 

“You sound like you’re in love.” Amber poked him at his waist. “I was in loved once.” She smiled widely and turned her body to face him, like a child waiting for a story to be told. “Really? Tell me.”

“Her name was Hyunjoo.” Kibum’s phone buzzed and he read the new message. “Krystal has already hacked into the system and is now in control of the street cameras.” Amber nodded impatiently and prodded him. “And back to the story.”

“She was my first love. We grew up together in an orphanage and were inseparable. To keep things simple, we were both in love and we moved out when we turned eighteen. ¬¬Hyunjoo and I worked many jobs to keep us afloat and although times were hard, neither of us complained, knowing that as long as we’re together, how hard the hurdles are, we would overcome it together.” Kibum looked down at his watch, his finger tracing the outline of it. 

“But I was angry at myself. Angry because I couldn’t provide her the life she deserves, instead she worked long hours waiting tables from one restaurant to another. So, I decided to put my hacking skills to good use. I worked for a drug dealer and the pay was good. Soon, after a few jobs, I bought us a small apartment and told her not to work. She didn’t agree at first, worried that I’d stress myself out as the sole breadwinner but in the end, she agreed, albeit reluctantly.”

“We lead a comfortable life and were also expecting our first child. But everything started going down hill when I refused to accept a job and my boss forced fed Hyunjoo heroin to make me take up the job. Since then, Hyunjoo was addicted to drugs and she had a miscarriage.”

“Where is she now?” Amber whispered and Kibum smiled at her sadly. “She’s dead.” 

“She died of drug overdosed.” Kibum blinked his eyes rapidly, holding back his tears. “It’s been seven years since she left but I still miss her a lot.” His lips trembled and he took deep breaths, calming himself. 

“That’s why this assignment is important to me,” He opened his eyes and faced Amber again. “The man we’re killing tonight is the drug dealer I told you.” Amber suddenly looked away and he followed her gaze, staring at a man getting out his car and entering the club.

“He’s here.” Amber slipped the gun inside her leather jacket and exited the car. “Let’s go.”

They walked across the street and flashed their VIP passes at the bouncer. Upon entering the club Kibum the signal jammer and hid it in the shadows before they went in search of him. They pushed their way through the crowd when he was spotted at the other side of the room.

“Do not make any sound.” Kibum pressed the tip of his gun behind the man’s back and dragged him away. Amber led them to an empty room and Kibum shoved him inside. “Who are you? What do you want from me?” Gihyuk looked frantically from Kibum to Amber.

Kibum couldn’t control his anger anymore and lashed out at him, swiping the gun across his head. He kept his gun as he bent down and lifted Gihyuk, punching him like a sandbag and sent him crashing onto the glass table behind him. “You bas.tard!” 

Gihyuk raised an arm to defend himself from Kibum’s non-stop attacks while Amber stood aside, observing the scene before her. For the past five years she had known him, she has never seen Kibum’s violent side since he’s always joking around and rarely is serious. But tonight, he was a whole other person. A murderous air hung around him and he was unusually quiet, moody as they were on their way to the club. “Kibum.”

He didn’t hear Amber calling his name and continued releasing his anger, oblivious that his fist was now smeared with blood. “Hyung!” Kibum snatched his arm away from her. “Don’t stop me!” He kicked the half conscious Gihyuk as he struggles to free himself from Amber.

“Hyung, we don’t have much time before someone realises he’s missing.” Amber said urgently while glancing at the door. “We have to get out of here.” She snapped her fingers at him when he didn’t respond. “It’s either you do it or I do it.”

“I have to do this.” Kibum shrugged from her grasp and walked towards Gihyuk. 

“For me.” He raised the gun at him, switching off the safety. 

“For Hyunjoo.” And he pulled the trigger.


 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Where are you taking us?” Amber asked, her finger trailing the raindrops that were streaming down the window. “It’s cold and gloomy to be going out today.”

“A perfect place where it’s warm and cozy.” Henry turned the car into a small lane. 

“Then we could just hang out at your house with the heater turned up high instead of driving around in the rain.”Amber pressed her cheek against the heat vent and sighed. “We could have watched a movie while eating popcorn.”

“Well, I’m bringing you to a place where they serve the best Mexican food in town.” Henry stole a glance at her. “Really?” Her bored face brightened up. “You said you like Mexican food so I thought of bringing you there,” He shrugged. “But we should probably go back since you want to be out of the rain so badly.”

“No! Just continue driving.” Amber laughed and he chuckled at her 180 degrees change. “Let’s see how good the food is.” Henry’s free hand poked her stomach, teasing her. “You’re such a pig.”

Amber made a pig nose him and watched him shake his head, muttering something under his breath. She smiled and looked out of the window, lost in her thoughts about the conversation she had with Kibum a few nights before.

“Amber,” The silent ride home from the club was shattered by Kibum just as the Range Rover went down the ramp leading to the garage. “If you like him, just let your heart be known.” 

“But I—“ He cut her off and she noticed him twisting the ring on his wedding finger. “You’ll never know what will happen in the future and regret is a horrible thing as it will haunt you for the rest of your life.”

“I’m the perfect example for you to avoid.” Amber manoeuvred the car to its spot and pulled the brakes. “Instead of accepting the job, I turned it down even though he threatened me with Hyunjoo. I was naïve and went against better judgement which resulted in losing the woman I love and my unborn child. Till this day, I’m still tortured with regret.” Kibum smiled painfully at her.


“We’re here.” Henry parked the car and switched off the engine. “Wait.” He exited the car, opening an umbrella in the process and walked to her side of the car. 

“This is so effing cold.” Amber hissed at him and walked closer to him under the umbrella. “This place better be good.” Henry held the umbrella in one hand while his other reached for her waist, bringing her even closer to him so she wouldn’t get wet. “Trust me.”

Even through the layers of clothing, her skin tingled from the touch of his hand. She peeked at him from the corner of her eye as they waited for traffic to pass before they could cross the road. 

Half of his face was hidden under the shadow of his baseball cap so her eyes were fixed on his jaw. She felt herself being tugged along as he led them across. I like his jawline, her hand reached for his jaw and he looked down at her. “What?”

“Nothing.” She pulled back her hand, shivering. “I thought there was something on your face.” 

“Oh.” Amber shuddered again as she felt the rumble of his voice through their bodies. “Let’s get you warmed, you’re shivering.” He ran his hand up and down her arm, keeping her warm. “The shop’s just around the corner.”

Henry grinned to himself as he held her close; close enough to smell the scent of her shampoo when a sudden breeze blew. Lavender, he caught the scent as her hair whipped around. “Rain and wind do not go well with me.” Amber pressed a hand on her head to flatten her hair.

“Okay, this is the place.” They were greeted by a waiter upon entering the café and led to table at the back of the shop. Once settled, Henry gave their order without looking at the menu.

“This place doesn’t seem like it but they serve the best burrito and nachos.” Amber smiled with glee and took off her jacket. “How did you find this place? It’s pretty.” She sat on her hands, warming them and looked around the café. 

“Oh, I just stumbled across it one day.” Which was a total lie because ever since she told him about her favourite food, he’d been scouting places around the city that serves Mexican food. “Their desserts are quite good too. You can try it after dinner.” Amber nodded and looked out the window.

“Autumn’s already here.” They watched a laughing couple as they try to keep themselves dry under a small umbrella. “Time passes by really fast. It’s been five months since we first met?”

“Yup,” She smiled at him and reached for his baseball cap. “Why are you wearing this inside? It’s not like you’re a celebrity or something.” He laughed, ruffling his hair. “Who said I’m not a celebrity?” He narrowed his eyes at her. “I’m in the list of the top ten most eligible bachelors under thirty.” He wiggled his eyebrows at her.

“Ohhh.” Amber forced back a snort and talked in an annoying voice. “Oh my gawd, I’m seriously, like, dining with one of the, like, most eligible bachelors?” She placed a hand over her heart and her jaw slacked in surprise which made Henry choked on his drink. “But really? You’re one of them?”

“Yeah, don’t you know?” She shook her head and her eyes followed the dishes being placed before them. “You better watch out or else someone might steal me away.” He took a bite of his burrito. “I don’t mind.” She shrugged.

“What?” Henry felt hurt and snatched the tortilla chip out of her hand. “Duh, so I wouldn’t have to fight for food with you.” She stuck her tongue at him and he knew she was joking.

A sudden flash of light blinded them, followed by a loud thunder and the café fell into darkness. The staff went to each table and lighted a candle, apologizing for the blackout. “We’re sorry for the inconvenience.” Their waiter bowed at them and left. 

“We’re having a candlelight dinner over burritos and nachos.” Henry chuckled before finishing his last bite. “Romantic huh?” Amber returned his smile and she felt butterflies in her stomach.

I like him, Amber was grateful for the dark as she felt her face heating up. I like my best friend, Henry Lau. She shook her head when he offered her the plate of nachos. I like him, her heart was racing as she thought of Kibum’s words. 

She took a sip of her drink and imagines various scenarios that could happen if she were to confess to him. He might not feel the same way,she ran a hand through her hair, and things might turn awkward. Amber glanced at Henry and closed her eyes, I guess it’s better than regretting. “Henry.”

“Yeah?” He stared at her as she struggled with her words. “Henry.. I..” She winced slightly when the lights in the café came back on. “Power’s back.” Henry blinked, his eyes adjusting to the bright environment. “You were saying something?” He blew out the candle flame. “Uh.”

“I.. I was just saying I’d like to try the desserts,” Amber fanned herself. “Since you said it’s good.” Henry nodded and got up. “Let’s go check out what you’d like.”

“It’s okay.” She remained at her seat. “You go ahead and choose, I trust your taste.” Amber waited for him to leave before she slumped back into her seat and sighed. “I chickened out.”

 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

“Shut up, Joon.”

“What are you two doing here?” Victoria came up to them and took a glass of champagne from a passing waiter. “This is the best Matsuka party I’ve ever attended.” She looked over her shoulder at the dance floor and a man smiled at her. 

“Don’t forget about Nichkhun,” Amber as she scanned the ballroom while smoothing her sleeveless teal dress. “The venue is perfect too if you had paid any attention to it.” She nudged Victoria. “You can watch the sunset from here.” 

“But the sun had gone down.” Joon stepped closer to Amber and looked in the same direction as her. “A few hours ago.” 

“Duh, I knew it had gone down a few hours ago,” She rolled her eyes. “I was just telling unni about it.”

“Whatever, pumpkin mushroom.” He sunicorned and grabbed a fruit tart off the platter of a passing server. “Quiet, you idiot.” Amber hissed. “Look who’s talking.” Joon retorted.

“Why did you call her ‘pumpkin mushroom’?” Victoria looked at them, confused. “What am I missing out?”

“I asked her what her name means in Korean,” Amber sighed as Joon took another fruit tart and popped it into his mouth. “And she told me ‘pumpkin mushroom’ instead of ‘pumpkin gem’.” 

“Don’t laugh at her.” Victoria chided him but a grin broke out soon after. “But you have to admit, it is kinda funny. Pumpkin mushroom.” 

“Laugh all you want.” Amber downed the whole flute of champagne. “Everyone makes mistakes.”

“Aww..” Joon playfully pinched her cheeks. “That was so cute.”

“Stop it.” She pushed his hand away. “Unni, where are the others?” She looked around the sea of people. “I’ve not seen them since we arrived. I’ve been stuck with him,” She jerked her thumb towards Joon. “From the start.”

“Come on, I’m not that bad of a company.” Joon reached for her waist and pulled her next to him. “At least you’re stuck with a hot, good-looking guy rather than some disgusting ert.” Amber slapped his hands away. “Well, it’s bad enough that you’re a combination of both.”

“Well, he can be nice when he wants to.” Victoria said. “He’s not th—“

“Wait a minute, hold up.” Joon raised a hand to stop Victoria. “Did I hear it correctly?” He smirked at Amber. “Did you just agree that I’m hot and good-looking? I’m flattered.” Amber raised an eyebrow at Victoria.

“I’m gonna say this even though you won’t agree with me,” Victoria took a sip of her red wine. “Just cut him some slack. He’s a nice fella.”

“Now, there’s one sane person talking.” Joon sling his arm around her neck and pulled her closer, giving her a quick peck on the cheek. “Since when you two were buddies?” Amber stared at them. “Like I just said, he can be nice when he wants to.” Victoria shrugged her shoulders at Amber.

“Are you under his spell or something?” Amber scrunched up her nose. “Wait, don’t tell me you two are in that ‘special’ relationship?” 

“Define the ‘special’ relationship you’re talking about.” Victoria took another glass of red wine from an offering waiter. “Friends with benefits.” Amber crossed her arms. “Cuz if you are, I’ll be so d.amn disgusted and pissed.”

“Why?” “WhAT!!” 

Victoria and Joon said at the same time. 

“Are you kidding me!?” “Are you jealous?” 

Both of them looked at each other. 

“Let me talk!” “I’m talking.”

“From her reaction,” Amber sunicorned at Victoria’s horrified expression. “She’s definitely not into having with you. I’m glad.”

“Why?” Joon went back to Amber’s side and whispered into her ear. “So you can have me all to yourself?” He wrapped his arms around her from behind. “I’m surprised.”

“YAH!!” Amber pulled away from him. “Don’t make me puke.” Joon grabbed his chest and staggered. “My heart’s shattering from your piercing words, you cruel girl.” He laughed and stood straight. “Damn, you’re so fun to tease.”

“Anyway, to answer your question, I’ve lost the others in crowd.” Victoria strained her neck, looking around the ballroom. “Why do you ask?”

“I want to go home now.” Amber raised her arm and glanced at her wrist watch. “I thought of just letting you all know of my plan.”

“Oh, okay.” Victoria set down her glass and took a step but almost tripped if it weren’t for Joon to stabilize her. “I think you should follow Amber home.” Joon held onto her arm. “How many glasses have you had?” Amber looked at Victoria worriedly. “Four,” She raised her fingers. “Or was it six?” 

“You’re definitely coming home with me.” Amber took Victoria’s clutch and fished out a set of keys. “Joon, you drive her car home okay?” He nodded, accepting the keys. “I’ll help her to your car.”

“Okay, let’s go.” Amber cleared a path for Joon who was assisting Victoria when the lights dimmed.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” The spotlight focused on a man standing on stage in front of the ceiling-to-floor windows as he addressed the ballroom. “Before the night wears on, I would like to invite the person who threw this wonderful party to come on stage for a short speech. So let’s welcome, Matsuka.” 

The ballroom erupted into a loud applause as a man appeared on stage with his blond haired assistant. “Hello, good evening everyone.” He wished his party goers. “I’m grateful to you for taking out time from your respective business schedules to attend my launching party for the new development Matsuka Corp. is taking on.”

“Excuse me.” Amber inched through the crowd and looked back at Joon. “Are you okay?” She asked him while Matsuka’s speech went on in the background. “Yeah, I’m good.” He said, helping Victoria to walk properly.

“So, once again I would like to thank my fellow friends for attending this launching party.” Matsuka bowed the last time which signalled the end of his speech. “Let the party resume.” 

Amber watched him waving to the crowd before his assistant guided him across the stage when he suddenly disappeared from her view. “What happen?” She stopped. “Where did he go?”

“What?” Victoria asked when she and Joon neared her. “Matsuka disappeared.” Amber looked back to the stage and back to them. “Joon, you’ll take unni home. I’ll follow suit after I check this out.” He nodded and left with Victoria.

“What happened?” Amber entered past the human wall made of bodyguards after pushing her way through the crowd and noticed something was wrong. “He’s been shot.” BoA answered her. “If he’s targeted to be assassinated, the person missed; the bullet hit his left arm.” 

Amber snatched the microphone from the emcee; who was trying to look past the bodyguards. “Sulli, please come to the stage right now.” BoA held his arm tightly to minimise blood loss. “Sir, are you okay?” 

“Yes.” Matsuka flinched at the pain as Amber observed the bullet hole on the window pane. “Where did it come from?” Matsuka asked and BoA looked to Amber for an answer. “It came from the building across the one we’re in.” Amber felt the necklace around her neck slipping away and it landed next to her feet.

“I’m gonna check it out.” She told BoA and crouched to pick up the fallen necklace when she heard a crack and a bullet flew above her head, hitting the man who was behind of her, in the head. People started screaming and tried to run away when more bullets penetrated the glass windows.

“Cover Matsuka! Get him to safety!” BoA ordered her men as she shielded herself from the raining glass shards. “Amber! Are you alright?” She turned to Amber who was already on her foot, racing towards Chunhee who was giving out instructions.

“I’ll need the elevator override key and your gun!” Amber shouted over the screaming and stood her ground while people were pushing around her. “Give it to me quick!” She snatched the key and the gun from him before firing a shot above her head. “Everybody get the hell down on the floor!” 

She broke free from the crowd and rushed into a closing elevator. “Get out. Get out!” The terrified passengers scrambled out upon seeing the gun in her hand. “She has a gun!”

Amber closed the elevator doors and jammed the override key into the card reader and pressed ‘G’. “Who is after him now?” She kicked her heels away. “D.amn it.” The elevator chimed and she stepped out of the elevator, accidentally bumping into several frantic guests. 

Amber was greeted by the chilly wind when she rushed out of the building and onto the main street, heading towards the opposite building when she saw a figure carrying a rifle, running towards a black sports car. 

The man stumbled when her bullet hit him in the chest and he looked up. Amber cursed, realising it had hit his bulletproof vest and dropped herself down on the road, avoiding his return shots while firing her own at him. He entered his car and sped out of the building while Amber looked around before running towards a parked car.

“Hey! What the hell are you doing!” The man yelled at her when she opened the door and pulled him out. “Shut up.” The man stopped and raised his hands when the gun was pointed at him. “T-take it!” He stuttered. “Just don’t kill me.” 

Amber entered the car and shifted the gear before turning the wheel around completely, making a tight u-turn. She took out her phone from her dress’s pocket and accelerated down the empty road. “Amber, what happened?” Kibum’s voice crackled from the loudspeaker. “We’re on the way home now. Are you?” 

“I don’t have the time to explain now.” Amber spotted the black sports car ahead and stuck the gun outside the window. “You have your computer with you right?” She fired and the back window of the car shattered. “Yes. It’s always with me. Why?”

“I want you to track down the car I’m chasing.” Amber cursed, swerving to avoid crashing into another car. “The car I’m driving doesn’t have that much fuel left.” She glanced at the dashboard and the fuel indicator was leaning towards ‘Empty’. 

“I’ll try my best to get rid of him.” She said after giving the related info for Kibum to track. “If I can’t pursue anymore,” She ducked when the man fired at her. ”He’s all yours.” She ended the call and stuffed the phone back into her pocket.

Amber swerved the car onto the next lane and accelerated until her car was next to his and fired her last bullet at the tinted glass window. The man reappeared from ducking and aimed at her but she swerved her car into his and he dropped his gun from the impact. 

She rammed into his car again as they were approaching a bridge and strained to catch his face. He glanced at her before he rammed his car into hers, pinning her car against the safety railing of the bridge.

The sound of metal against metal as the car was being pushed along the railings was hurting her ears and she tried swerving the car into the opposite direction. “S.hit!” Amber ducked at his gun shot and threw her now useless gun at his hand, causing him to drop his gun. She swerved hard, freeing the car and stomped her feet on the gas pedal, speeding ahead of him while reaching for her ringing phone. “Amber, Kibum told us that you’re running low on fuel.” 

“Yeah, it’s almost at zero right now.” Amber looked into the rear view mirror and the black sports car was catching up on her. “Don’t worry. We’re coming for you now. Just hang on before we reach you.” She ducked as the back window of the car shattered. “Joon, where are you? I don’t think the car will last much longer.”

“Another minute or so. I heard glass shattering.” She swerved the car from left to right, trying to avoid the bullets when her car suddenly lost speed. “I’ve ran out of fuel.” 

She ended the call just as the black sports car accelerated next to hers and she ducked to avoid the bullets. The firing stopped when he ran out of ammo and rammed his car into hers, dragging the car along the railings again.

Amber looked to the front as the car was approaching a line of traffic cones and a sign - ‘Slow down. Construction ahead’. S.hit.

The car ran into the cones as if it was knocking down bowling pins and she couldn’t do anything but look on helplessly as the railings ahead suddenly came to an end revealing a large opening, leading to a freefall into the river below the bridge. 


 
~~
 

“Amber’s car just ran out of fuel.” Joon conveyed back to them while Sulli steered the aircraft to the left and the bridge came into view. 

Kibum looked at his tracking system on the computer. “She should be on this bridge. Look out for her. Are you still following the sports car, Krystal?” He said into his phone. “Yeah. It’s so cool that you can hack into the traffic control system and looked at all the traffic surveillance videos.” 

Krystal was at home on the computer tracking the black sports car with Victoria beside her. “Oppa, Amber’s car is a white BMW x3 and she’s pinned against the railing again an—Oh my god.” Krystal’s hand flew to .

“There!” Kibum shouted when he spotted the car Krystal had described. “Oppa!! The black car is pinning her car against the railing, un—“ Kibum cut her short. “Yeah, you’ve already tol—“ 

“YAH!!! The driver of the black car is trying to kill Amber!” Victoria shouted into the phone as Krystal flipped through the different surveillance channels for the camera positions situated along the bridge and found one camera view which is in the opposite direction of the road that Amber is on, which gave them the front view of the two cars. “There’s a construction going on along the road and there are no railings ahead of her! If her car continues to be pushed along the railings, she’ll fall through the opening!” Victoria and Krystal exchanged worried looks.

“I see it.” Everyone in the helicopter stared in horror as the white car was nearing the opening. “But we can’t do anything.”

“What do you mean you can’t do anything?!” Krystal shouted hysterically at him, her hand gripping Victoria’s wrist, staring at the computer screen. “Oh my god!”

“Unni!” Sulli shouted when the car fell through the opening and crashed into the river below after a long drop from the bridge. The roosterpit was silent as they watched the car bopped on the surface before it sank a few seconds later.

The helicopter reached the spot where the car had disappeared and hovered above it. “We need to get her out of the car.” Joon shrugged out of his coat and threw it aside. “I’m going in to get her.” He ripped his dress shirt open and hastily took it off while Sulli lowered the helicopter.

Joon dived into the cold water and remerged a few seconds later to catch his breath before going under again. He switched on the heavy duty underwater flashlight Kibum had passed to him and flashed it around, kicking his legs harder when he caught a glimpse of the car.

The driver seat was empty when he reached it and he looked about before returning to the surface when he saw a shadowy figure to his right and he directed the light at it.

Amber! She was sinking slowly and air bubbles were escaping from her lips.

Joon reached for her body and shook her, hoping to get a response but her head merely bopped from left to right. Don’t die Amber, Joon dragged her body with him towards the surface as his lungs burned, yearning for oxygen.

“He got her!” Kibum shouted when saw Joon resurface with Amber. “Sulli, lower it.” The helicopter hovered several inches above the water and Joon held Amber’s limp body towards Kibum’s outstretched arms before hauling himself onto the helicopter.

“She’s not breathing.” Joon overheard Kibum whispering. “Sulli! She’s not breathing!” Sulli turned the helicopter around and flew back in the direction of their home. “Don’t panic. Try giving her CPR.” She ran a hand across her cheeks, wiping away her tears. “I can’t do it. I have to navigate the helicopter.”

“Ok-ka-kay.” Kibum’s trembling hands pressed lightly on Amber’s chest. “You have to pump harder!” Joon pushed his hands away and took over. He lowered his head and gave -to-mouth breathing before continuing the chest compressions. Kibum held a finger below her nose. “Still no breathing.”

“Come on.” Joon muttered, pressing his lips against her purplish-blue ones, blowing air into her. “Amber, you can’t let go of life that easily.” He pumped her chest again before blowing air into her. “Amber.” Joon said with each pump on her chest. 

“Wake.” 

“Up!” 

At the last pump, her body arched as she took in a huge breath and started coughing out water. “She’s not dead.” Kibum looked at Joon. “She’s not dead!”

“Oppa,” Sulli gave him a shaky smile, relieved that Amber’s okay. “Get them warmed.” She reminded him and Kibum brought over thick sets of towels. “Have them bundled up or else hypothermia will set in.” Kibum passed a towel to Joon, who wrapped it around Amber’s shivering body.

“Are you alright?” Joon asked while rubbing her back, trying to sooth her coughing. “Of c-course,” Amber inhaled deeply and broke into a coughing fit, shivering at the same time. “I’m n-not al-ll-righhh-t.”. Joon used his towel to wrap another layer around her and placed the remaining towels over her legs. 

“If you’re back to your snappy self,” He brought her into his arms and hugged her, warming her cold body. “I guess, you’re okay.” Another pair of arms encircled them. “Amber, you scared the heck out of us!” Kibum lectured her as he held back a sob. “Never do that again.”

”Hyung, why would I ever do that again? Are you nuts?” Her hands pushed weakly against Joon. “You guys are crushing me.” They immediately broke the hug to give her breathing space. 

“Why don’t you put on a shirt?” Amber glanced at Joon’s body and looked away. “It’s a master piece that everyone should see.” He patted his six packs and whispered into her ear. “It’s not like this is the first time you saw me without a shirt on.” He noticed two light pink spots appearing on her pale cheeks.

“We’ll be home soon.” He said softly as he wore his coat and sat closer to her, wrapping his arms around her again. 

This time, she didn’t inch away from him and closed her eyes, grateful for the warmth.