Chapter 26

Zero Gravity
 
Joon’s quivering hands hovered over his brother’s bloodied shirt and he looked up at Donghae’s wide open eyes. “Hyung.” He pulled Donghae’s cold body to him and cradled his head. “Wake up. Hyung-ah, did you hear me?” Luna reached over and closed his eyes, watching Joon silently as his tears fell on her hand.
 
Amber found him staring blankly into the distance and he flinched when her hand rested on his knee. “Henry.” He struggled against her and she caught his wrists, and tilted his head to face her. “What happened?”
 
Streaks of dried tears appeared down his cheeks and his pale lips trembled. “It all happened so fast.” He mumbled and tears began forming. “We came in here to escape the gunmen.” Henry wheezed. “And he raised his gun at me.” His eyes flickered back and forth nervously, and held his head with both of his hands.
 
“We fought..he— I gripped the gun then..he fell.” Henry suddenly clutched his chest as it rose and fell rapidly. “Breathe, remember to breathe.” Amber propped him against the wall and he gripped her hand tightly. “Relax.” She patted his hand.
 
“I tried stopping the bleeding. I—” Henry stared at his blood-stained hands and she rested her hand over his to stop the shaking. “Killed a man. Amber, I killed him.” She pulled him to her and his body quaked as the sobs overcame him.
 
 
~~
 
 
The camera footage was grainy and the audio quality wasn’t the very best as it distorted the faint gunshots outside the private ballroom. Two men burst through the doors and quickly had their backs pressed against it, and relaxed when the crucial moment was over.
 
Henry walked to the middle of the room, observing the empty hall when Donghae stood behind him with his gun raised. The camera wasn’t able to pick up their conversation.
 
The younger man ducked and charged at Donghae who dropped his gun from the body impact. Donghae kicked him away and crawled towards the gun when Henry jumped on him. They struggled on the ground and Donghae managed to close his fingers around the gun. He aimed the gun at the latter’s heart while Henry struggled against him.
 
There was a garbled yell, followed by a gunshot and Donghae slumped to the ground with the gun in his grasp. Henry scuttled to him and quickly pressed his hands over the wound, but Donghae stopped jerking soon after.
 
Joon blinked a few times and tore his eyes away from the camera footage. “Hyung..” His voice cracked and a hand reached for his throat as he cleared it. “Hyung started it.”
 
“It was an accident.” He ran the back of his hand across his nose and stood. “I—I’ll go check on him.”
 
His eyes took a second to adjust to the change of light when he entered the unlit room and noticed them sitting by the balcony doors. She turned around at the presence in the room and watched him knelt beside her. “How is he?”
 
Amber had a protective arm over Henry which he held close to him as he lay asleep in her lap. She brushed his hair aside and stared up at the sky where the moon stayed hidden behind thick clouds. “Sulli gave him sedatives so he could rest for the time being.” She tugged the throw around him snugly when a gust of wind blew.
 
“Henry was in danger.” Joon followed her gaze and stared wistfully at the sky. “Hyung.. he tried to kill Henry. He was just trying to save himself but hyung got shot instead.” He bit his lips and looked down at his hands. “I don’t know what’s going on. Why did hyung turn on Henry?”
 
“None of us do.” Amber whispered and her gaze returned to the sleeping man in her lap. “On behalf of him,” She patted Henry’s head and faced Joon. “I apologized for what happened.” Joon turned away while shaking his head. “It’s not his fault.”
 
“My brother was the one who raised the gun at him.” He glanced at Henry whose previously calm expression turned into a frown, followed by panic as he winces in his sleep.
 
“We’ll be safe for now.” Henry said, as he pushed himself away from the door and studied the ballroom. “The door’s the only way out of this place.” He froze at the of the gun and turned around, alarmed.
 
“That’s very unfortunate for you then.” Donghae said coolly. “What’s going on?” Henry whispered, his eyes fixed on the gun. “Isn’t it clear?” Henry ducked and slammed into Donghae, which landed them in a heap.
 
Henry punched him once before a pair of feet kicked his abdomen, and he fell onto his back. He quickly got to his feet and tackled Donghae away from reaching the gun. Henry’s vision grew blur from the strikes across his head and weakly shielded Donghae’s incoming blows.
 
He caught Donghae’s wrist and shouted with all his might as he struggled to turn the gun away from aiming at his heart. Their hands shook under the exerted strength, but a slight relax on Donghae’s part led to his death as Henry managed to turn the gun around just as Donghae pulled the trigger.
 
“Henry.” He heard his name being called out by a distant voice as his hands trembled to keep pressure on the open wound, but blood kept seeping pass his hands.
 
His heart was beating wildly and his mind grew blank when Donghae’s twitching gradually grew less violent, and finally became motionless. “Henry!” The voice that called for him grew urgent and everything around him faded into darkness.
 
“Wake up, Henry!”
 
“I’ll get Sulli.” Joon dashed out of the room. Amber shook him violently as his eyes darted back and forth under his eyelids, and beats of sweat formed along his hairline.
 
“Henry, wake up! It’s just a bad dream.” Henry looked around confusedly in the darkness while the voice rang around him. “Amber?”
 
“Henry.” He felt a strong slap across his cheek, and remembered where he was. “Wake up.” Henry’s senses were returning to him, and he remembered receiving a shot before he drowsily laid his head on her lap.
 
Henry forced his eyelids to part but panic grew when it refused to obey him. He could see shadows moving behind his eyelids, and tears were forming as he continued the struggle of parting his eyelids.
 
He was heaved off the ground and the faint sound of running water grew louder.
 
Henry broke through the water with a loud gasp for air and looked around in a daze. “You scared me.” Amber said tiredly and rested her head on the side of the bathtub.
 
“I couldn’t wake up. My eyelids were too heavy.” Sulli rushed into the bathroom. “What happened?”
 
“He had a nightmare. I think the sedatives prevented him from waking up.” They helped him out of the bathtub and left Joon with him as he changed out of his wet clothes.
 
“Just rest. There’s nothing else I can do. I don’t dare putting you to sleep again.” Sulli looked at Henry apologetically and left.
 
Henry stopped in the middle of the room and fell to his knees, leaving the other two flustered as they rushed to him. “Henry, are you okay?”
 
“I’m sorry.” They heard him mumbled as he planted his head on the ground, bowing in Joon’s direction. “I’m sorry for killing Donghae.” Joon hands fell to his sides at the mention of his brother. “Everything happened so fast and I was just trying to save myself.” Henry bowed at him again. “I’m filled with remorse over his death.” He sobs.
 
Amber stood aside and watched Joon as he reached forward and helped Henry to his feet, but the latter refused to budge. “Get up.” He forced Henry to stand. “It’s not entirely your fault. Hyung was the one who raised the gun at you. Anyone in your place would have done the same.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“The police are currently investigating last night’s shootout at the annual business conference at W Inn Hotel.” The news reporter said indifferently as she read her notes. “Many influential business leaders were injured, including Matsuka who’s currently in ICU. Eyewitnesses claimed that they saw the gunman shoot him in the chest before he was escorted away by his security team.”
 
The news lady continued reading her reports but there was no sound coming from the TV as Akutagawa set down the remote control. “Check on Aniki. If he’s on the brink of death, leave him be. If not, let’s send him on his last journey.” His assistant bowed in acknowledgement of his orders.
 
“May I ask a question, Akutagawa-san?” He waved his hand for his assistant to proceed. “How did you know Henry-san was Matsuka’s nephew?”
 
“I received an anonymous tip.”
 
“But that doesn’t mean the tip from this anonymous person is reliable.” Akutagawa nodded and lighted a cigar. “But he persuaded me and I took the chance, and it turned out to be true.” He closed his eyes in relaxation and the cigar smoke wafted from his nose. “Sometimes, you just have to trust your instincts.”
 
“Your next question, Hiromi?” The assistant blushed when his master saw through him. “Apart from Matsuka, why did you order to have Henry-san dead as well?”
 
“Remember the anonymous informer? He told me that Matsuka has plans of having that nephew of his to succeed his position if anything were to happen to him.”
 
“With them out of the picture, you’d become the new leader.” Hiromi finished his sentence but paused. “What about Miyamoto Seiji? He’s also one of the prominent clan members.”
 
“With Matsuka dead, Miyamoto would be less influential without Matsuka backing him.” Akutagawa scoffed. “However, we shouldn’t be focusing him just yet. Henry is still alive, and he needs to be dead.”
 
“Our men reported that Henry and Matsuka’s right hand man locked themselves in the ballroom and soon after, a gunshot rang from within.” Akutagawa looked at his assistant with an amused grin. “An internal conflict?”
 
“I’m not sure, sir. Donghae’s been following Matsuka for a long time, and he was promoted to his current position only last year itself.” Hiromi wondered to himself. “His behaviour was very odd. According to our men, he was helping Henry to escape from them, but he had the intention to murder Henry too.”
 
“He’s not our concern as of now.” Akutagawa tapped the cigar on the ashtray. “Find Henry and finish him.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Who’d benefit if Matsuka were to succumb to his injuries?” Kibum posed the question as they grouped in the living room. “Akutagawa Ken and Miyamoto Meiji.” Victoria answered without thinking.
 
“But we know Miyamoto Meiji can be trusted, so that leaves us with Akutagawa Ken.” Amber muttered. “Yes, he also planned to have you killed. And Henry might be his target as well, for reasons that we don’t know.”
 
“Are you implying that Donghae’s involved as well?” Krystal received a jab at the waist from Sulli, who was nodding her head furiously in Joon’s direction. “Oppa, I didn’t me—”
 
“It’s okay.” Joon offered a small smile. “I don’t think Donghae has anything to do with Akutagawa.” Amber informed them when she recalled the moment Donghae stood up for her in front of Akutagawa. “But let’s not rule him out, okay?” Joon nodded grimly in Kibum’s direction. “I agree.”
 
They decided to keep a close eye on Akutagawa and left Henry in the care of Sulli as the others left for the hospital.
 
“What’s going on?” Luna was the first to reach the corridor where a man was seen  arguing with their security team. “Luna-shi, this man says he’s visiting Matsuka-nim in Akutagawa-shi’s place.”
 
“Who are you?” Amber studied him, and he greeted her with a slight bow and held out his hand. “I’m Hiromi Shiro, Akutagawa Ken-san’s personal assistant.” Amber nodded for the others to enter the hospital room, leaving them alone in the corridor.
 
“Please relay our gratitude to Akutagawa-san for the visit. We appreciate his best wishes.” Amber bowed and turned to her men. “Please Hiromi-shi away.” She was about to enter the room when a doctor pushed pass her, and she rushed in along with the nurses.
 
“What happened?” Amber watched in worry as the medical personnel fluttered around the bed before she heard the distinctive long drawl of a beep; the heart monitor displayed a straight line.
 
Matsuka’s body arched under the defibrillators and the voltage was increased when there was no change in the heart monitor. The tension in the room was at its peak and everyone’s attention was on the heart monitor when a high peak appeared on the monitor.
 
“Thank god.” Kibum slumped in the chair by the window and held his head in his hands. “Ms. Liu, this has been happening quite often. This is the third time that we’d to revive his heart.” The doctor shook his head grimly. “His heart may fail any time and he may not be as lucky as now.” She escorted the doctor out of the room and found Hiromi in the corridor.
 
“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to eavesdrop. Things are not looking very rosy for Matsuka-san, is it?” Amber nodded glumly. “Yes, I think not.”
 
 
~~
 
 
“Matsuka’s not able going to be a problem for us.” Akutagawa smiled at the event witnessed by Hiromi at the hospital earlier. “He’s a goner.”
 
“What about Henry-san?”
 
“Now that I think of it, he doesn’t pose much threat. No one in the clan would accept him as the new leader; everyone else had worked hard to reach their current position and he merely got the position because he inherited it. None would back down without a fight.” Akutagawa smirked. “Let’s return to Tokyo. We have some convincing to do.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“It worked, he was tricked. We’ll be expecting some movements on his side soon.”
 
“That’s good to know.” Joon nodded and walked around the snow covered garden. “Where are you? You left before we arrived at the hospital.”
 
“I went to visit my parents, you know, to let them know that hyung’s dead.” He felt the sting in his nose and closed his eyes as he worked to even out his breathing. “Okay. Don’t make us worry.”
 
“Bye, Amber.” He tucked his phone away and headed in the direction of the house when he heard his name. “Joon?” He bowed at the elderly neighbour that he’d met the other day. “Your brother told me your name.” She smiled warmly at him. “He’s not with you today?” Joon merely bowed and left.
 
“Why!” He screamed into the empty house and slumped against the door with his face in his hands. “I don’t understand anything.” He whimpered. “You just left me alone.”
 
“You’ll be alright.”
 
“No, I won’t!” Joon shouted angrily, tears rolling down his cheeks, his red eyes scanning around the house.
 
“I’ve spoilt you too much. You have to learn to care for yourself now.”
 
“I have no one else.” He snapped, and laughed cynically “People who overheard me must be thinking that I’m crazy. The boy who hears his brother’s voice and talking to nothing but air.” Joon said bitterly.
 
Joon entered the study room warily and his eyes fell on the computer sitting on the desk.
 
“Inside this computer is everything that I have on the man that’s responsible for our parents’ death.”
 
The password box appeared and he was denied entry upon his first try. He attempted again, this time keying in all sorts of passwords that he could think of but none were accepted.
 
“I can’t trust you.”  
 
He pounded the keyboard in frustration and anger.
 
“You’re playing with me, aren’t you hyung?” Joon kicked the chair away and stormed out of the study.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“This is the safest place for you right now.” Henry laced his fingers through hers and inhaled the fresh air as they took a walk in the compound. “I know.” He nodded and looked at the woods behind the mansion. “How safe is this place?”
 
“Trying running for the woods. You won’t make it out alive, what more for those who try to penetrate us.” Amber brought him to the edge of the woods and snatched a pebble of the ground. “Watch.”
 
She studied the trees in front of them and aimed for the patch below a long withered tree. Henry shielded his face from the flying snow while the explosion echoed through the forest, causing the birds to scatter above their heads. “The forest is strewn with mines.”
 
“But your enemies could learn of the location of mines in the forest.” Amber guided him away and Henry glanced behind his shoulder. “Mines are not our only y traps in this place.”
 
“Besides, we have heavily armed personnel at a six kilometre radius. The public who comes across them would think this is a military zone.” She pulled him along. “Let’s get out of the cold.”
 
“When you escaped your captors, you must have felt relieved and joyful after all that you went through.” Henry said quietly. They were in the den, roasting marshmallows over the lighted fireplace and the cackle of burning wood filled the silence after him.
 
Amber lifted his stick away from the flames and discarded the inedible black chunk before piercing the stick with a new marshmallow. “I felt fear instead.”
 
“Like how you’re feeling right now.” She sandwiched the melted marshmallow between two crackers and handed it to him. “But stop lamenting yourself.”
 
“Kibum was the first person that I met after Matsuka took me in, and he told me the same thing, stop lamenting yourself. Donghae’s death was an accident, it only happened because you were protecting yourself.”
 
“It’ll take time but you’ll get through it.” Henry nodded, his eyes on the floor and she pulled him to her. “I’m always here for you.”
 
Henry settled in her lap and watched her smoke the marshmallows for them. He reached out and pulled her hand away, ignoring the half smoked marshmallow as he held her hand close to his cheek. “Promise?”
 
A wide smile appeared on his face and he looked up at her while hooking his pinky finger around her extended little finger. “We’re still doing this?” He chuckled.
 
“I promise.” Amber pecked his lips and whispered. “And yes, I take pinky promises very seriously.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Ken-san? I’m not surprised.” Matsuka closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, his forehead wrinkled in response to the shooting pain at his chest.
 
“Also, Donghae may or may not be involved with Akutagawa.” Amber stood at the end of the bed with her eyes trained on the stark white floor when her phone rang.
 
She answered the call and bowed apologetically in his direction. “Miyamoto-san? Yes, I’m with him.” She set the phone on loudspeaker, and placed it on the table between them.
 
“Yuu-kun?” Matsuka sat up in bed with the help of Amber and groaned in discomfort. “What is it, Meiji-kun?”
 
“Akutagawa has made a startling announcement. At the clan meeting, he announced that you won’t be with us any longer and that you planned to have your nephew succeed your position.”
 
“There is no such plan!” Matsuka shouted and slumped back into his pillow with a hand clutching his chest. He waved Amber away when she tried to help and inhaled deeply to even out the pain. “I have no such plans for Henry. He’s spouting nonsense.”
 
“It is nonsense to us who knows the truth, but to the uninformed, this idea is ridiculous and many are rebelling.” Miyamoto sighed tiredly. “Akutagawa’s influence is not weak, and the upheaval right now is the proof of it. There are some that refused to believe him and whose loyalty lies with Yuu-kun, but regretfully, many are on Akutagawa’s side and are demanding for Akutagawa appointed as the successor instead of Henry-san.”
 
“He thinks I’ll be dead soon?” Matsuka scoffed. “Fine, make him continue thinking that way. Amber, kill him and once he’s dead, I’ll mock him at his grave. Even if I’m dead, the position will belong to Meiji-kun, not him.” He snapped at the unmoving Amber. “Didn’t you hear my order? Kill. Akutagawa.”
 
“But sir, this is not a good idea. Akutagawa has tremendously influence and support from the clan, asides from Miyamoto-san and you, and killing him would elicit an ugly back lash.” Matsuka simply stared at her. “Are you implying that Meiji-kun and I are weak, and are unable to contain the back lash from the clan?”
 
“No, sir.” Amber stood her ground and continued on confidently under his displeased gaze. “Without doubt, both yours and Miyamoto-san’s support combined, Akutagawa will appear inferior and back down instantly, but the clan members whose minds are already poisoned would not step back easily and may plot against you. Killing Akutagawa is out of the question.”
 
“Amber-san is right, Yuu-kun.” Matsuka’s eyes flickered to the phone that lay forgotten on the table. “Killing Akutagawa may only increase the discontent among the already dissatisfied clan.”
 
“Then what do you suggest?”
 
“We have to refute his lies and regain the trust of the clan.” Matsuka touched his injured chest again in discomfort. “That’s easier said than done.”
 
“Don’t worry, Yuu-kun. I’ll take care of it.” Miyamoto told them to trust him and bade them goodbye.
 
“You’ve never once countered me.” Matsuka said. ‘’But that’s not necessarily a negative aspect.” He patted the empty space on the bed, beckoning her over. “Sit.”
 
“How’s Henry coping?” His eyes were full of worry and Amber felt a sense of pity that Henry would never accept Matsuka as his uncle. “A bit lost and moody, but other than that, he’s doing okay.”
 
“Well, at least, he’s doing better than you did.” Matsuka said with a trace of a smile on his lips and studied her. “But you were very much younger than he is when you killed that man. Eighteen?”
 
“I was nineteen.” He nodded as the memories came flooding back to him. “You didn’t allow anyone near you and remained a recluse for weeks before Kibum managed to talk you out of it. After that, you followed him wherever he went, and surprisingly, he didn’t throw you aside.” Matsuka teased.
 
“Hyung thought of it once, he told me.” Amber chuckled. “He’s a huge part of my life.”
 
“I hope this is how you are to Henry as well.” Matsuka gripped her shoulder firmly while his other hand patted her arm as he sighed. “He needs someone’s presence and advice like how Kibum was for you.” He forced a smile on his tired face. “Henry needs you.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Joon.” A warm rested on his back and he lifted his head from the desk tiredly. “It’s time for dinner.”
 
“I’m not hungry. You go ahead without me.” He offered Luna a strained smile and proceeded to the bathroom with her trailing behind. “You haven’t had a proper meal in a week. Eat with us.”
 
Joon threw his shirt aside and she kept her eyes on his when he turned to face her. “I’m not hungry.” He emphasized his point as he took a menacing step towards her. “Leave me alone.” He shrugged his arm out of her reach and unbuckled his belt. “Did you hear me?”
 
“How long are you going on a hunger strike?” Luna asked. He discarded the last piece of clothing on his body and settled inside the bathtub. “Your brother is dead. There’s nothing that you can do except to live your life to the fullest and make your brother proud.” She tugged him to his feet but he resisted and pulled away from her, settling back in the bathtub with his eyes closed as the warm water lapped his body.
 
Luna fumed at his ignorance and retaliated by draining the bathtub. His eyes snapped open in annoyance and refilled the bathtub, and this time, he held her in his arms as the water level rose, preventing her from repeating the stunt.
 
She pushed against his bare chest with all her might and he responded with a tighter grip around her. His eyes flickered down to her lips before returning her gaze and inched into her.
 
Their lips were almost touching when he yelped out in pain and released her, reaching for his eyes. “You made me do that.” Luna got to her feet and watched him writhe from the pain she inflicted to his eyes when she jabbed her thumbs into them. “We’ll be waiting for you. So hurry up.”
 
Joon pushed his food around the plate and glanced across the table to where they were seated. He hated to admit it but they look good together, they compliment each other if you ignore the drastic difference in their lives. However, there’s something that he could never understand – Henry’s acceptance of Amber.
 
The muscle in his jaw twitched when Amber caught him staring and he looked away while setting his plate aside and left the table. There’s only that much he could take at this moment.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“N-no, No! Stop!” A man cried out, shattering the silence of the office. “Please, I’m innocent. I was only following orders, please don’t kill me.”
 
“Akutagawa-san got a tip that Matsuka has plans of having his nephew to assume his position if anything were to happen to him.”
 
“I swear, I do not know who the informer was. It was between Akuatagawa-san and him. Please let me free, please, I don’t want to die just ye—”
 
“What do you have to say?” Miyamoto Meiji set the tape recorder on the desk between them. Akutagawa stared at him blankly while his assistant from the conversation shook in fear.
 
“What is the arrangement?” Miyamoto smiled knowingly and slid an envelope towards him. “Matsuka is being generous. He doesn’t want this finding to be known, and neither does he wishes for the clan to crumble under all this lies of deceit and disloyalty.”
 
Akuatagawa reached for the envelope reluctantly and pulled out the contents. “What is this?”
 
“Compensation.” Akuatagawa snorted and threw it away. “Aniki must have forgotten that I’m as wealthy as he is. Money does not interest me.”
 
“That wasn’t his offering. It’s something that’sx very valuable and meaningful to you which you’ve never been able to set your hands on.” Miyamoto tilted his head in the direction of the envelope and beckoned for Akutagawa to take a proper look.
 
“It is your late mother’s diamond necklace which your father had stolen and sold for money. The necklace has always slipped pass your hands and for some odd reason, you’ve never been able to acquired it even though, as you said, you’re wealthy.” Akutagawa’s jaw tightened, his eyes fixed on the photo in his hand.
 
“For all I know, this could be a fake just to lure me into abiding your commands.”
 
“You have no choice. Either take up the offering or Matsuka will make sure you’d be out of his sight, most probably behind bars. You know the strings that he can pull.” Miyamoto folded his arms in satisfaction as he watched Akutagawa pocket the envelope.
 
“Who is the informer that your assistant speaks of?”
 
“I don’t know.”
 
“Don’t be coy with m—” “I’m telling the truth!”
 
“This man called me, saying that Henry is Matsuka’s nephew and that there are plans to have him as the successor.” Akutagawa shook with anger, all the while glaring at Miyamoto. “I am not lying.” Miyamoto assessed the situation silently, his lips pursed in a thin line.
 
 
~~
 
 
“He’s telling the truth.”
 
“The number is untraceable too. The caller must have used a disposable phone.” Kibum added. “The trail ends here.”
 
“What about Akutagawa?” Amber asked. “Matsuka has sent him out of Tokyo for the time being. We don’t have to worry about him.”
 
“Our main concern right now is the unidentified caller. He’s a threat to us.” Sulli held a pillow to her chest and rested her head on her sister’s shoulder. “There’s nothing that we can do right now. We just have to be vigilant.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“How is Nichkhun?” Victoria put away her phone, her eyes fixed on Amber nearing the bed. “He said it’s boring in Busan.” The two women shared a smile over Nichkhun’s comment.
 
“It’s boring but it’s also the furthest city away from Seoul.” Amber kicked her shoes off her feet and rested her head on Victoria’s lap. “When will you be joining him?”
 
“After this mess is over.” She said.
 
“There is a possibility that we could never find this mysterious informer. Are you going to have Nichkhun waiting for you?” Amber turned her head to face the older woman.
 
“If he loves me, it shouldn’t be a problem.” Victoria stared ahead while patting her head absentmindedly. Amber lay on her lap, listening to the howl of the wind and the shaking patio doors when the wind hit them.
 
“Unni, go to Nichkhun.” She whispered, but her words were loud and clear within the silent room. “Didn’t you promise yourself that you’d keep him out of harm’s way, and leave these all behind?”
 
“But y—”
 
“No buts. You’re worried about him as well, or else you wouldn’t be calling him every day.” Victoria glanced down and studied the young woman staring back at her. “Are our roles reversed? You sound like the experienced older sibling more than I am.” Amber winked and got to her feet.
 
“We’ll be fine.” Amber squeezed her hand comfortingly and Victoria covered her hand before she could pull away. “Thank you.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Luna unni,” She looked up from her book and found Krystal standing in front of her with her Siberian Husky. “Unni.” Krystal drawled with puppy eyes that could rival her pet’s.
 
“What?”
 
“Can you bring Luc to the groomers? I have an appointment that I can’t break.” Krystal’s cheek grew a light shade of pink when Luna scrutinized her. “There’s a boy involved, isn’t it?”
 
“Yeah.” She nodded timidly and shoved the leash into her hands. “Thanks unni! I won’t forget your kindness.” With that, Krystal closed the door behind her, leaving the stunned Luna with Luc, who was resting its head on her lap.
 
“I didn’t even agree to help your mistress.” She held Luc’s head in her hands and he stared at her with interest. “Don’t you feel sad that she’d chosen the boy over you?”
 
Luc barked in reply but she wouldn’t know whether it was a yes or no to her question, and she merely smiled. “I’d take that as a yes.” Luna rubbed his head fondly and led him away. “Never mind her, I’ll treat you to something nice.”
 
“Sunyoung ah.” Luna allowed the elderly woman to embrace her and she dropped the leash to return the hug. “Ahjumma, I’m home.”
 
“I thought I’d never see you again. You left this old woman thinking that she wouldn’t get to see her foster daughter before she follows the angels of heaven.” Luna wiped the tears away from the woman’s wrinkled skin and smiled.

“I’m back now, with a friend too.” The woman held out her hand and Luc nuzzled her palm, earning a smile from her. “You made the best meat patties I’ve ever tasted, and I thought he’d appreciate it as well.”
 
Luna sat at the table and watched her once-foster mother busied around the kitchen, making a meal for her beloved daughter. Luna was adopted by her not long after entering the orphanage, and although the stay was short, the time spent with this woman was once of the most cherished memories in her life. This woman loved Luna as if she was her own flesh and blood, and though the feelings aren’t exactly mutual, Luna was nevertheless fond of her.
 
“Why don’t you take a look at your room? I’ve left your things untouched in case you decided to return.” She pushed Luna out of the kitchen and smiled affectionately as her old hands reached for Luna’s face. “I can’t believe you’ve returned.” She quickly wiped away a stray tear and smiled. “I’ll let you know when dinner’s ready.”
 
The door creaked open and Luna looked around warily as she took a step into her old room. The room was like how she left it years ago; the two pieces of furniture that was her dresser and bed remained where it was and the patch of peeling wall paint that she hated so much grew wider over the years.
 
Her younger self may not have minded the plainness of the room because she knew her foster mother couldn’t afford to spend on her limited funds, but her present self couldn’t embrace it since her current lifestyle is nothing short but lavish.
 
Luna sauntered around the room and stopped by the window, staring out at the falling snow when something caught her eye. She pressed against it and squinted through the dirt stained window, watching a man tread through the snow towards the house next door.
 
Joon stopped in his tracks and a cloud of smoke escaped his mouth as he turned to the house next door, his attention on the first floor window which had snapped shut when he looked over. He remained in the snow, staring at the window in curiosity.             
 
Luna ran down the stairs and almost knocked into her foster mother in a hurry. “Sunyoung, what’s wrong?”
 
“I thought the house next door was unoccupied but why is J— why did I see a man over there?” Luna peeked through the curtains.
 
“A young man bought the house. It was after you left home.” The woman touched her arm worriedly. “Are you okay?”
 
“What’s his name?” Luna muttered. What is Joon doing here?
 
“Donghae, Lee Donghae.”
 
 
~~
 
 
Joon threw his leather gloves aside and waited impatiently for the computer to start up. He wasted no time when the screen lit up and keyed in the phrase that he’d been thinking all night, but it was immediately rejected.
 
“I’ll never get the correct password!” He kicked the desk in frustration and swiped the table lamp off the table. He hadn’t bothered in turning up the heat when he stormed into the house, and his hands were growing cooler by the minute as he sat with chin in his hands, in deep thought.
 
“Have you ever wondered why I decided to get back the house?” Donghae asked, hoping to get his fuming brother to talk. “Joon?”
 
“I don’t know. You don’t trust me, so why bother telling me the reason? I could very well sabotage your plan.” Joon snapped. Donghae remained quiet and the rest of the journey back to the mansion was of torturing silence.
 
Joon didn’t bother in biding his brother goodbye and got out of the car without turning back. But before the door closed on Donghae, Joon overheard him mutter a word.
 
“Memories.” Joon whispered. His fingers nimbly typed the word in the blank space, but it hovered above the ‘Enter’ button.
 
“Umma! Umma! Hyung is bullying me!” The nine year old Joon cried to his mother who was busy in the kitchen. “Ummaaa!”
 
“Hyung, is that your girlfriend?” Joon teased his older brother once the girl left their porch. “Huh, hyung?” And it earned him a whack to the head instead of an answer.
 
“Appa, that is not how you do it.” His father chuckled and allowed his youngest son to demonstrate the ‘correct’ way of hammering a nail; using the horizontal side of the hammer instead of the flat head. “Whatever you say, Joon. I suppose this works as well.”
 
“Memories.” He pressed the button, and he was transported to the desktop page. Joon stared in disbelief as he navigated through the computer files accumulated by his brother when he paused, and held his head in his hands.
 
“Hyung. I didn’t know that you had a sentimental side to you.” Joon chuckled, and wiped the corner of his eyes. “Now, what do you have for me that you’ve been hiding all these while?”
 
His eyes grew wider as the secrets revealed themselves one by one, but it was the final piece of the puzzle which left him speechless and confused. Joon felt like an idiot by the growing minute as he scanned the document that was compiled by Donghae.
 
He staggered to his feet and hurried away from the suffocating room, bumping his way around the furniture on his way out before crumpling into a heap on the porch.
 
 
 
“Matsuka was the cause of our parents’ death?”