Chapter 23

Zero Gravity
He stood in the shower, hot water splattering over him and it cascades down his body while he covered his hands over his face, rubbing it tiredly.
 
Joon jumped when someone entered the shower and wrapped their arms around his waist from the back. He could feel the womanly figure pressed into his back and he didn’t have to turn around to know. “I didn’t ask you to join me, Luna.”
 
“I know you didn’t.” Luna rested her cheek on his broad back and tightened her embrace. “You’ve been in an awfully bad mood this few days. What’s going on?”
 
He turned around and ran a finger down her face before he leaned in and kissed her deeply. She smiled against his lips. “Is that your way of saying sorry?”
 
“It’s obvious, huh?” Joon chuckled. “I thought you’ll be throwing tantrums far worse than mine in retaliation.”
 
“I would do that but the fact that I didn’t shows how you stand in my heart.” Luna rested her chin on his chest and looked up. “Lee Joon, the man that tamed the infamous rowdy Luna.” She stood on her toes and brought his head lower for a kiss.
 
“Hmm.” He murmured and pulled away. “I’m honoured.” She smiled but it soon faded away as Kibum’s voice sounded in her head.
 
“Are you sure it’s not lust that you’re experiencing? You wouldn’t like the man if you actually knew him.”
 
“Joon,” She kept her gaze on him as he stared back at her questioningly. “Why do you like me?”
 
Luna saw his eyes flicker in surprise before he smiled and wrapped his arms around her. “This is sudden.” He nuzzled her nose with his and she felt a disappointed. “You can’t tell me why?”
 
“I like you for a lot of things.” Joon stood a step back and smiled at her. “You’re beautiful.” His mind wandered and the image of Amber appeared, widening his smile further. “Intelligent, fun, loyal and you never fail to amaze me with your personality.”
 
“You don’t mind about my past?” Luna searched his eyes and it betrayed nothing but a loving gaze. “Everyone has a past that they wished it had never happened. But what’s in the past is past.”
 
“Does that answer your question?” The image of her disappeared from his mind and he was faced with the pint sized woman in his arms. Joon caught her lips and backed her away from the shower and cornered her against the wall.
 
“How long have you known Joon to believe all his lies?” Kibum’s voice echoed inside her head and she squeezed her eyes, hoping to shut it out.
 
It doesn’t matter how long I’ve known him, all I know is that he likes me and I do too. Luna wrapped her arms tighter around his neck and deepened the kiss, trying to ignore the lingering feeling of distrust.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Her body immediately tensed up when she turned into the empty hallway, where her men should be standing guard. He wasn’t in the room too when she entered and felt panic growing. Amber later found out from the nurses that Henry had gone for his daily check up and would be back soon.
 
She was pacing by the windows when she heard the door open and dashed towards it. “Henr—” Amber stopped in her tracks and words got caught in .
 
“Amber?” Matsuka stood at the door and motioned for his men to leave them. “I didn’t expect to see you here.” That goes the same for you.
 
“Sir.” Amber bowed hurriedly. “May I ask why you’re here?” She asked cautiously without sounding accusing to the elder.
 
Matsuka’s lips parted to answer her question when the door to the room suddenly swung open and a man stomped into the room. “Stop following me around! No one’s going to attack me at a hospital.” He muttered and jumped in surprise to find the two in his room. “You scared the hell out of me.” Henry looked between Amber and her boss questioningly and he walked to her side.
 
“What’s going on, Am?” He grasped her elbow and Matsuka took note of the small gesture. Amber quickly pushed his hand away upon noticing the look on Matsuka’s face.
 
“Mr. Lau,” Matsuka stepped forward. Henry looked at him wearily as he s his arm around her waist and this time she didn’t push him away. Why is Matsuka here? “I heard what happened to you. How are you coping with the attack?”
 
“I’m doing fine. Thank you for your concern.” Henry replied politely. He saw the older man looked at him then at Amber and he felt her stiffened beside him. Henry followed his gaze and found it odd that she was as quiet as a mouse. “So what’s the nature of your relationship with Amber?”
 
Henry looked back to him and found the smile plastered on Matsuka’s face rather stiff. He didn’t like the way Matsuka was acting and it made him nervous but he didn’t like being push into a corner, like it was an interrogation. “I’m her boyfriend.” He ignored her pinch and continued. “Is there any problem with that?” He stared at Matsuka, unwilling to back down and the latter let out a unnerving laugh.
 
“No, I was just being curious. Amber has never mentioned your relationship to me before.” Matsuka shook his head and looked in her direction with a chuckle. “She doesn’t have to. She isn’t obliged to answer to anybody.” Henry said through gritted teeth. “It’s her life.”
 
Henry.” Amber hissed into his ear. “Back off.” She excused them and dragged him to the window while she felt Matsuka’s eyes following them. “What the hell!”
 
“I should be saying that! Why are you afraid of him?” Henry furrowed his eyebrows and creases appeared on his forehead. He held her arms and spoke in low tones. “He has no right to question stuff like that. It’s your privacy.” He glanced at Matsuka and she looked too. “Do you understand?”
 
“And you shouldn’t cross him.” Amber whispered. She watched Henry sighed exasperatedly as he ran his hand through his tousled hair. “You don’t kno—”
 
“Amber,” Their heads shot up at the call of her name, glancing at each other in uncertainty. “May I speak to you? In private.” Amber nodded and followed after Matsuka but a hand caught her wrist.
 
“It’s alright. I’ll be back soon.” They stared at each other and she patted his hand reassuringly. Henry tugged her to him and gave her a swift peck on the lips, but he changed his mind and his hand held her by the back of her neck, not allowing her to pull away.
 
Amber felt her stomach drop from giddiness as he pulled her body against his and the warmth of his body emanated through the flimsy hospital gown. Their kiss made her mind go blank and she remained so after they broke away. “Be back soon.” Henry whispered, their lips brushing against each other.
 
 
~~
 
 
“Come. Sit beside me.” Matsuka patted on the space next to him and she sat down gingerly. They were at the hospital’s rooftop garden and it was silent up here except for the occasional sirens from the streets below.
 
Amber sat uncomfortably on the edge of the bench and placed her tightly fisted hands on her lap as she looked around the garden awkwardly.  “I’ve never heard you talk about him.” She heard the sharpness in his voice.
 
“I didn’t think it was necessary.” She answered matter-of-factly, still refusing to look at him in the face. However, she did watch him from the corner of her eye and there was a look of reluctance on his face. Her heart pounded when she heard him sighed and her nails dug deeper into her palm. “It’s my private matters.”
 
“Yes, I do not have the right to interfere with your privacy, but this is an exception.” He said and this made her blood boil as Henry’s voice appeared in her head. He has no right to question stuff like that. It’s your privacy.
 
“With all due respect, sir, I’m perfectly able to manage my personal affairs and it’s no one’s right to interfere. Please excuse me.” Amber got up and bowed curtly before walking away.
 
“He is my nephew.”
 
Amber nearly tripped on flat ground and her eyes widened in surprise followed by shock as she whirled around. “Henry is my nephew.” Matsuka repeated, looking into her eyes.
 
“That’s impossible. Neither of his parents is Japanese.” Amber shook her head in confusion. “No one in his family is of Japanese descent.”
 
“That’s not entirely true.” Matsuka told her and his eyes softened as he beckoned her to him. “Your loyalty to me is unwavering and in return, you’re among the most trusted people in my circle. What I’m about to tell you will never be spoken of ever again, do you understand?” She nodded numbly.
 
“His mother is my half-sister. Our father had a lot of women in his life and god knows, his spawns are scattered all over the place.” Matsuka chuckled. “I was very much attached to her even though we were of different mothers. She was the only sibling that I ever bothered to care about and she stuck on to me, following me everywhere I went. She was very fond of her oni-chan.”
 
Amber listened quietly and glanced at Matuska. Who would have thought there was this side of him? She looked away and played with her fingers. But then, no one’s ever what they seem to be.
 
“She only stayed with us for a short while until her mother realized she didn’t want her daughter to grow up knowing what kind of father she has, so her mother returned to her home country, Korea. Although her mother had forbidden our father to see her, she and I secretly remained in contact with each other. It wasn’t until after her mother’s passing, did she only return to Japan to reunite with me.”
 
“She voluntarily entered the family business and did very well on her own as she climbed up the ranks, gaining respect from other members. She made it clear that she wasn’t to be messed with and no one dared to get in her way.”
 
“However, everything changed when she met him.” Matsuka said bitterly.
 
There was something weird in his voice that she can’t quite put her finger on. He sounded different when he reminisced about the past, the way Matsuka acted when he talked about her and how his expression changed at the mention of Henry’s father. She tossed the thought away and turned back to him.
 
“She told me that she wanted out and I let her, albeit reluctantly. I was hurt when she cut off contact entirely when her son was born. I guess I could understand where she was coming from. Nobody wants their child to know those dirty secrets.” Matsuka looked away abruptly and she heard the change in his voice, which sounded like someone trying to hold back their emotions.
 
At that moment, she knew. Amber knew the relationship wasn’t as simple as it seems and she bit her lips in hesitation. “Did..you love her?” Matsuka nodded, not looking at her. “I did.”
 
“As a sister?” Amber asked cautiously even though she already knew the answer.
 
He turned to her and let out a small smile as if he could read her thoughts. “As a woman. But you’ve already figured that out.” They sat in silence and this gave her the chance to properly digest the brand new information.
 
This explains a lot. Whenever Matsuka sets his sights on companies he wished to make as his own, he’ll go to lengths in order to get them. But when he approached Henry with an offer for his company, Henry declined and he didn’t pursue further.
 
“When are you going to tell him about this?”
 
“Never. This stays as a secret.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Because he would never accept me as his uncle after what I’ve done to his mother.” Amber narrowed her eyes. “I caused her death.”
 
“But Henry said she died in an accident.” Her words trailed from her lips when she realized what he had meant. “I forced her to complete one final task for me. She died while escaping from the enemy.” She watched Matsuka take in deep breaths to calm himself.
 
“What’s the point for him to know all these and push me farther away? At least now, we may be strangers but I still get to see him. Henry looks a lot like his mother.” Amber felt herself getting a little sick but remained composed. “And I want to honour his mother’s wishes like I should from the very start. If I had, none of this would have happened.”
 
“I will provide my assistance if it’s required.” He stood from the bench and she quickly got to her feet. “And I trust you to keep him safe.”
 
 
~~
 
 
“What’s Henry’s room number?”
 
“Why?” Amber entered the elevator after Matsuka told her that he wanted to be alone. “My session with the doctor just ended and I want to visit him since I’m already here.”
 
“He’s in room 30 at the private wing. Hey, wait up, I got it wrong.” She slapped her forehead and groaned when the elevator rang and the doors slide opened. “I just had him moved to another room. It’s room 340 on sixth floor. Okay, I’ll see you then.”
 
“I’ll just check that his things are all cleared.” She muttered to herself as she stepped off the ninth floor.
 
She was greeted with a messy room and there were several men inside turning the place upside down. They stopped whatever they were doing when they noticed her and advanced towards the door. “That’s the girl who’s always with him!” One of the men exclaimed and she made a dash before they could get their hands on her. “Sh.t.”
 
The stairwell door slammed opened and she made her way down the flight of stairs with the men hot on her heels. Amber nearly tripped over the last steps and ran out of the sixth floor exit. She looked around frantically and quickly dragged a three seat couch towards the door. She heard loud banging from the other side of the door and she knew the couch as an obstruction would only buy her a few minutes.
 
Amber dashed down the hallway while swinging her head from left to right, searching for room 340. She burst into the room, startling him as he hurriedly pulled his jeans up. “Amber! Knock!” She didn’t pay heed to his shirtless appearance as she scribbled on a notepad she had found in the drawers.
 
Went out for a walk. Maybe you’ll find me loitering around Starbucks.” Henry managed to read her terrible writing and raised his eyebrow at her while she messed up the bed and threw the hospital gown on the floor.
 
“What are you doing!” “Get out!” “Stop it, you’re hurting him! Don’t make me call the pol—ahhhh.”
 
Amber quickly pushed him into the narrow closet as the screams grew louder and closer, while hospital doors were banging open in the hallway. “What’s going on? Amber?”
 
Her hand covered his mouth as she entered the closet after him and closed the door behind her. They stood in the dark and moments later, the door to their room swung open, slamming hard against the wall. They heard rapid footsteps and could just imagine the room being thrashed when a man read the note that Amber had left on the bed. “There’s no one here. Next.”
 
Henry’s hand reached across her chest to push the door open but she caught his wrist. “They could still be around.” She whispered.
 
“Okay.” Although she couldn’t see him, she could certainly feel their bodies pressed close against each other while their hot breaths spread across their cheeks.
 
“I’m sorry.” He rested his cheeks against hers and she heard him repeat. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have raised my temper at you.” Amber remained quiet but she secretly smiled before clearing . “Apology accepted.”
 
She gasped involuntarily and shivers ran down her spine when his cool hand rested at the bottom of her neck and slowly made its way upwards, his fingers tracing the contours of her face. He ran his thumb across her lips and her breathing hitched as he leaned into her.
 
Amber pulled away just before his lips met hers and teasingly moved in and denying him when he came close. “Don’t play with me, Am.”
 
He gripped her chin and kissed her forcefully to which he swore, he heard her sigh contently. They jumped apart when the door to the room slammed open and held their breaths when the footsteps neared and stopped right outside of their hiding spot.
 
Amber cursed under her breath when her phone rang and the closet door swung open instantly.
 
“There you are!” Kibum stared at them with frantic eyes. “What happened?”
 
“Hyung, you scared the crap out of me!” Amber quickly shut the room door and turned to them. “That goes the same for me too! I was shocked to see the mess the area was in and you two were nowhere to be found.” Kibum raised his hand to flick her head but she dodged in time. “We’re both fine.”
 
“Who were those men?” Henry asked.
 
“I think they’re the same people who attacked you.” Amber glanced at the door and guided him to the bed, sitting him down. “Henry, I need you to think hard. Who would have the intention to harm you?”
 
“I told you I don’t know.” He rested his arms on his lap and buried his face in his hands. “I can’t..”
 
“Henry—” Amber stopped and looked to Kibum as he shook his head at her and pulled his hand away from her shoulder. “Why don’t you back tracked through your memories? Don’t rush yourself. Just try your best, okay?” Kibum patted his shoulder and motioned for her to follow him. “We’ll be back soon.”
 
“Amber, calm down.” They stepped into the hallway and he closed the door behind them. “Pressuring him wouldn’t get us anywhere.”
 
“I know, hyung.” She nodded numbly and bit her lips as she ran her hand through her hair. “But..hyung, he was this close to being found by them.” Amber exhaled loudly and he noticed the slight glint in her eyes before she looked away quickly. “If I haven’t moved him, god knows what would have happened.”
 
“You love him.” Amber rested her hands at her waist and turned around. “Don’t you, Eunyoung?” Kibum reached for her and she refused to look at him as he turned her around.
 
“I do.” She squeezed her eyes shut and forced her emotions to remain in check, breathing rapidly to calm herself. “I love him and I don’t want anything to happen to him.” A small smile appeared on his lips and he embraced her, rocking them gently without saying anymore. “He’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me apart from knowing you guys.”
 
On the other side of the door, Henry bit his lips and turned away.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
The ring twirled between her fingers and the stone occasionally shimmer whenever it caught the light.
 
Victoria was sitting on the swing, gently rocking it as she stares into the distance, her mind preoccupied with his proposal.
 
Unni?Amber was jogging down the steps of her home when she noticed the elder at the swing. “Unni.”
 
“Victoria unni.” She snapped back to the present and watched Amber sat down next to her. “What are you doing here?” Amber asked and her eyes wandered down to her lap, eyeing the object that Victoria was holding.
 
“Nichkhun proposed to me.”
 
“Congratulations!” Amber laughed and reached over to give her a hug. “Thank you.” Victoria patted her back lightly and pulled her closer. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”
 
“You’ve enough problems at hand. With Henry. I didn’t want to bother you.” Victoria glanced at the ring and returned it to its box while Amber looked on questioningly. “You don’t seem happy about this.”
 
“No, I am.” The elder nodded enthusiastically but the emotion behind her eyes betrayed her and they both knew she was lying. “What’s wrong?”
 
“I don’t know what to do. A part of me is happy but the other part of me dreads it.” Victoria threw the box away and it landed on a snow pile. “I can’t live a life with Nichkhun. How can I?”
 
“He’s a policeman and I worked for a yakuza. Lies can only contain the truth for a short while, sooner or later, it’ll catch up on you and I’d risk losing him.” She sobbed and wiped her tears away angrily.
 
It has never occurred to her but now she realized that she and Victoria may have a lot in common. Henry has not proposed to her but he may in the future, if their relationship were to last till then. Both of them are involved with outsiders, people who would never fit into their world.
 
“Unni, I can’t help you with this.” Amber grasped her hand and the latter squeezed it in return. “I’m not in any position to offer advice.” Victoria stared at the box that she’d placed in her hands. “You’ve to figure this out on your own.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Henry stood on his doorstep with her by his side as he reached down for the small package which only had his name scribbled on the surface. Henry sat on the couch with it on his lap and she came over after making sure the house was secured.
 
Inside the bare box, laid a prepaid phone and an envelope.
 
He quickly tore open the envelope and two pieces of paper fell out. “Sooyoung?” Amber gasped at the photo of a woman who appeared to be unconscious, and she was gagged and tied to a pillar.
 
Henry smoothen the letter with shaking hands and Amber rested a hand over his. “Henry.” She called out his name and he allowed her to do for him.
 
Do not deny that you don’t know this woman. We know the relationship of you two. Call the number on the phone.” Amber looked at the phone and Henry snatched it out of the box.
 
He dialed the only number in the phone and placed it on loudspeaker and the call immediately went through after the first ring. “Hello, Henry. It took you long enough to respond to us.”  The man’s deep voice echoed through room. “Who are you? What did you do to Sooyoung? What do you want!”
 
“My identity is not important, what’s more pressing is that my client wants to send you a message.”The dramatic pause made Henry scrunched the letter in his hand. “Terminate the contract with Toyogo Corp and you’ll be left alone.”
 
“As you can see, we have her as our leverage. You can choose to go against our terms and she dies, and we won’t stop until our client gets what he wants.” And the call ended.
 
“What was he talking about? Toyogo contract?” Amber threw the phone back into the box and sat beside him. “That was the contract that I closed in Japan. It’s a multi-million dollar project and there were many tenders for the bid.”
 
“I went head to head with a Japanese conglomerate and I won the contract.” Henry turned to her slowly and whispered. “I think it’s them. They’re behind this.” He shook her hands furiously. “They’re the client that he was talking about.”
 
“Who is ‘they’?”
 
“The company that I competed with – Hasegawa Group. They approached me at the end of the bidding and offered to pay a higher price for the project and also, cover the amount that will be incurred if I were to break the contract.”
 
“Hasegawa is associated with the yakuza.” Amber got up and paced in front of the couch. “I’ve heard of them.” She shut her eyes in concentration, trying to remember where she had come across the group.
 
“I have to do as they say.” Henry dropped his head and rubbed his face in frustration. “I can’t face my father if anything bad were to happen to Sooyoung.”
 
“No, wait!” She stopped him. “I can help you.”
 
“No, I don’t want any bloodshed. If it means foregoing this project for her life, I would gladly do so.” Henry said firmly. “I don’t need your help. I can solve this on my own.”
 
“But Henry—”
 
“No buts, I can do this.” He reached for her hand and pressed his lips on her knuckles. “Trust me.” Amber stared at him in uncertainty and he smiled at her. “Hmm?”
 
“Fine, but I’ll be there when you’re negotiating. Deal?” Henry nodded. “Deal.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“I’ll settle the bill and you head on to Henry’s room.” Kibum ended the call and slipped the phone into his pocket. “Sixth floor, room 340.”
 
Luna nodded and awkwardness surrounds them as he scratched the back of his neck while waving her to go on. He watched her wait by the elevators and bit the inside of his mouth, unsure of what he’s about to do next. “Luna!”
 
She turned to him, her face void of expression and this made him feel even worse. “I’m sorry.” Luna fixed her steely eyes on him. “About the kiss, the other day. I-uh, it’s not right.”
 
Luna found herself letting her guard down and a smile almost appeared but she held it back in time, not wanting to let him off that easily. “At least, you know that.” She said and entered the elevator.
 
A small smile lit her face as she watched the red digits on the elevator display increase. She closed her eyes and the smile grew wider as she thought of that night. She’d never felt a kiss so sweet and gentle, as if appreciating her and not daring to hurt her. Her kisses with Joon were always full of urgency and need, and he devours every inch of her. Joon, she thought and opened her eyes at the bell announcing her floor, is just like every other man that I’ve slept with.
 
No,she shook her head and looked down, he’s better than that. “He’s better than that.” She whispered, again and again, fooling herself into believing it. “Yes, he’s different from the others.”
 
“Miss, can you hurry up? You’re holding us back.” A man shouted from the back of the packed carriage and she quickly left. She slapped the side of her head and squared her shoulders. She’s here with a purpose.
 
Joon had asked her to follow their every move ever since Henry was admitted into hospital. He was left out of the loop and knew something was wrong but they would always shut him out. He persuaded her to help him and here she was, approaching room 340.
 
Luna tried her best to not think about Kibum’s words. Joon’s not using me. She chanted over and over again until the conversation behind the door broke her concentration.
 
She quickly rummaged through her bag and found the tiny black button just as Matsuka walked through the doorway. “Sir.” He merely glanced at her and she deftly dropped the button into his jacket pocket when he walked pass.
 
Luna found an empty stairwell and listened to the conversation between Matsuka and Amber, and her eyes grew wider with every word.
 
“You are wonderful.” Joon awarded her with a kiss and stared at the audio file. “This can be our leverage against her.” He wrapped his arms around her from behind and left a trail of kisses along her neck. “Yeah.” Luna said numbly, her mind was on something else.
 
Luna quickly hid behind a wall when they stepped out of the room. “You love him. Don’t you Eunyoung?” Her ears perked up and leaned closer to the edge. “He’s the best
thing that’s ever happened to me apart from knowing you guys.”
 
“Shh.” Luna peeked from the corner and watched Kibum rubbed her back, in hopes of calming her. “Henry loves you dearly too. There’s no doubt to that.” He rocked them back and forth, and Luna smiled as she recalled a previous conversation with him. “Amber’s like a younger sister that I’ve never had. She means a lot to me.”
 
“Hyung.” Her eyes flickered back to them. “What about Luna?” Her eyebrows shot up and disappeared under her fringe as she listened on in eagerness. “She’ll never feel the same for me.” Kibum chuckled and rubbed Amber’s arms tiredly. “She’s too into Joon.”
 
“It’s not safe for her to be around him.” Luna clenched her fist tightly in anger over her words. “He’s playing with her.”
 
“I’ve talked to her but she won’t listen.” Kibum said dejectedly. “And she hates you, Amber. Another one of his tricks into turning her against you.”
 
“I don’t care whether she hates me or not, I don’t want her to be hurt.” All her hate and anger towards Amber slowly dissipated and Luna listened curiously. “She’s already been through a lot in her young life. Boa unni wasn’t exactly kind to her.” Luna pressed herself against the wall and they walked without noticing her.
 
“Yeah, leverage.” Luna mumbled. She no longer harbored the immense amount of hate for Amber, in fact, she was now confused over her behavior. She’s nothing like what he described. She closed her eyes and let Joon kiss her doubts away. But Joon wouldn’t lie to me.
 
“Have you ever lied to me?” She held his chin up to face her and there was an icy edge to her words. “No. I’ve never lied to you.” Joon replied, unblinking and cupped her face. “I would never.” He pecked her lips and got up. “I’m starving.”
 
“I hope it’s true.” Luna said quietly as she watched the door close behind him.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“It’s nice to meet you, Mr. Lau. How was your trip to Tokyo?” The middle aged man was smiled smugly and she had to grip her hands behind her back from lashing out at him. “Unpleasant.” She muttered and his attention turned to her. “Ah, and who may this young woman be?”
 
“She’s my—”
 
“Advisor.” She cut Henry off and handed the man a business card. “I see.” Henry raised his eyebrows at her and she responded with a tiny shook of her head. “I don’t think it’s necessary to bring a lawyer with you, Mr. Lau.” The man smiled stiffly.
 
“Yes, it’s most advisable for his lawyer to be present.” Amber spoke up before he could and took a step closer to the man. “My client may not be familiar with ‘certain’ issues and I’m here to clarify that for him.” She stared him down and it evoked a chuckle from him.
 
“Very well. You’ve hired a wonderful lawyer, Mr. Lau. She’s feisty.” The man winked at her. Henry placed his hand on her back and guided her to the seat, and his lips brushed pass her ears. “That was kinda hot.”  Amber scowled at his attempt to cheer her up and he took the seat beside hers.
 
“What would you like to drink?”
 
“Cut the crap. We’re not here for tea.” The man’s hand hovered over his intercom and he casts a look of annoyance at her. “If that’s what you wish.”
 
“Mr. Lau is to pull out from the contract and Hasegawa Group will compensate him with the breach of contract fees. Go to the police and you’ll regret it.” The man leaned back into his seat and studied them. “It’s as simple as that.”
 
“And it’s useless to sue Hasegawa Group for blackmail.” He focuses his attention on her and shook his head in dread. “You won’t get out of this building alive.”
 
“Akiyama-,” Amber read from the nameplate. “San. We won’t sue you for blackmail, but you should know that we wouldn’t back down without a fight.”
 
“Leave the Toyogo contract alone and release the woman, and we’ll forget everything that has happened.”
 
“You amuse me, Ms. Liu. I’m starting to doubt your knowledge about how things work around here.” Akiyama had enough of tolerating her and called for his men. “Please this woman away. I wish to have a private conversation with Mr. Lau.”
 
“No.” Henry stood up and stopped the men from touching her, and turned back to Akiyama. “She stays.”
 
“Unfortunately, that’s not for you to say.” Akiyama said coldly. “Take her away!”
 
“I’m staying.” Amber remained in her seat and glared at Akiyama. The men refused to listen to her and yanked her out of her chair while Henry pushed the man closest to him away from her. They ended up in a scuffle and this gave her the opportunity she needed.
 
Amber flipped the other man onto his back and whipped out her knife, pressing it against the man’s neck. “Let him go.” She hissed at the man who has his arm tightly around Henry’s neck. “I will, when you do.”
 
She narrowed her eyes and threw the knife at his leg causing him to release Henry out of agony. “Henry, barricade the doors.” Amber knocked out the man under her and drew her gun from behind her back, aiming it at shocked Akiyama. “You will leave him alone and release Sooyoung.”
 
“And Matsuka is expecting a call from you.” The man’s face immediately paled as he sat frozen in his seat. “M-Matsuka-san?”
 
Now.” The gunshot jolted him and his hands quivered as he dialed the number.  Akiyama merely nodded at the person on the other line while her gun remained on him as she moved closer to Henry. “Y-yes. I understand.” He whispered.
 
“You’re free to go.” Akiyama waved them away without looking up. Henry turned to her quizzically and she stepped forward. “Where is Sooyoung?”
 
 
~~
 
 
“Sulli, you’re coming with me.” Victoria rushed to their supply room after listening intently to the call and the others scurried after her in confusion. “What’s going on?” Kibum went to her side and Luna found her eyes following him.
 
“They found Sooyoung’s location and we’re to retrieve her immediately.” Victoria picked out her choice of firearms and loaded them swiftly. “We’ve to hurry.” She reminded Sulli and left. “Sooyoung could be in danger if they decided to change their mind.”
 
“Why should we concern ourselves with her?” Luna stood at the door, blocking Victoria’s exit. “Amber has already done more than enough. Henry’s now safe. Isn’t that all it matters?”
 
“Sooyoung is innocent and she means a lot to Henry. We can’t just leave her to be. If we wait for Amber ‘s return, god knows what’ll happen. If we can help, we help. Now, move out of my way.” Victoria said patiently but the latter refused to budge.
 
“And put us all in danger? We’re the priority here!” Luna raised her voice and her eyes burned in displeasure.
 
“Have you ever had anyone that you loved dearly that you’d die for, or do whatever in your means to protect them?” Victoria shouted at her as the image of the battered Nichkhun flashed through her mind. “That they mean so much to you, you can’t even bear to think about a life without them?”
 
“I guess not. If you did, you wouldn’t be creating a princess fit here.” She snapped and pushed Luna aside without care.
 
Luna fumed at the humiliation and watched Victoria’s legs disappeared up the stairs of the basement and slapped his arm away when he reached out for her. “Don’t.” She hissed at him and Kibum pursed his lips. He left without saying another word and she felt terrible about it when she was alone in her room.
 
“Stop being a b.tch to him.” Luna whacked the side of her head softly and jumped from the bed when the door opened. “Ki— Joon?”
 
“I heard about what happened. Are you okay?” He came over and she made space for him. “I’d be lying if I say I was.” Luna grumbled.
 
“I know. Sometimes I don’t get what’s going through their mind either.” Joon wrapped his arms around her and rested his chin on her shoulder. “Are you up for something fun?” He whispered into her ear and a smirk stretched across her face.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Our department has been requested to be on location. A tip off from an anonymous caller revealed that there’s a meeting between mafia members in the slums. The caller didn’t mention the group that’s involved.” The department secretary informed them and Yunho stood in the middle of the room as his subordinates watched him.
 
“Okay, people get ready. Nichkhun and Sehyun, I’m assigning you two as group leaders.” The men nodded at Yunho and rounded up their team. “A good performance tonight will have promotion in sight for you.” He smiled as they cheered at the announcement.
 
 
~~
 
 
They combed through the vastness of the slums and hastened their footsteps when gun shots rang through the night, followed by endless screaming. The police officers held back their guns when the first wave of people came running in their direction. Some were shouting incoherently at them while pointing behind backs, and others were blindly pushing their way through.
 
“Sir, how do we proceed?” Nichkhun helped up an elderly woman who had tripped. “Continue with the search. The outer perimeter is being secured, they can’t escape.” Nichkhun divided his team and as he scoured the place, he noticed a woman supporting an injured person while another wielded, what turns out to be a gun when it caught a glimpse of light.
 
“I have the suspects in sight. There’s three of them, women.” Nichkhun squinted but it was too dark for him to catch their faces. “Requesting back-up. Location,” He glanced at his wrist. “Southeast section of the slums.”
 
Nichkhun pushed his way through the crowd and followed them at a distance as they navigated through the quieter part of the slums. He glanced behind his shoulder, hoping to see his people but there were none and he turned back, only to find an empty alley before him.
 
“You guys better get out of there quick. The police are cordoning off the area.”Victoria helped Sulli when she saw the younger falter under the weight of the unconscious woman. “I know. We just had one trailing us.”
 
“Krystal’s waiting at the southwest end. The police haven’t reached there yet. Be quick.”
 
“Now, shut up Kibum.” Victoria gritted her teeth and heaved the weight of the woman onto her shoulders. “Sulli, I’ll carry her. You cover us.” She said and a crunch of gravel had them standing still, straining their ears for the sound.
 
“Don’t move.” An officer stepped out from the shadows of a crumbling home and fixed his gun at them. “Drop your weapons.” He turned his flashlight on them and he gasped. “You’re Nichkhun’s girlfriend!” Sulli’s eyes widened and Victoria stood frozen to her place. How did he know her?
 
“Han! Did you get them?”A voice called out and the tip of a gun appeared under the moonlight, followed by its owner. Yunho. Victoria stared at him and recognition showed on his face upon registering her. “Drop your weapons!” Yunho raised his gun higher at them but the urgency in his eyes told Victoria to obey him.
 
Sulli stood aghast but nevertheless threw her weapon on the ground and watched the senior officer stepped closer to them. Han covered his superior as Yunho went to collect their guns. Maybe he was too quick for him, or Han was just entirely focused on glaring at Victoria that he didn’t realized Yunho had aimed their gun at him and fired.
 
Yunho returned their guns and shoved them into the shadows. “Go. I’ll hold them off.” He circled the dead man and ran a hand down Han’s face, closing his wide opened eyes.
 
Nichkhun was busy finding his way through the slum maze when a gunshot rang to his right and he went in pursuit of the noise. He skidded to a halt and hid behind a door when he saw Yunho on the ground, crouching next to a body. “Han?” He stared at his dead partner.
 
“Shoot me.” Nichkhun’s eyes flickered to the owner of the voice. Yunho was staring at someone but Nichkhun couldn’t see the person from his place. He frowned in confusion as he studied his senior officer’s position. Yunho’s firearm was in his hand but he didn’t use to defend himself, instead he’s asking the person to shoot him? “They’ll be here soon. Shoot me.”
 
He doesn’t sound afraid. Nichkhun dropped his gun and confusion never left his mind. He’s talking calmly as if he knows the person.
 
“It’ll make my cover up more reliable if you shoot me.” Yunho said calmly. “Sir, there was another gunshot. We got an update from Han a few minutes ago that he’s onto the suspect. He might be in trouble.”  He pressed a button on his walkie-talkie and answered as he turned to Victoria. “He’s dead. I’m going after the sus— Ahhh!” Victoria shot him in the shoulder and another at his leg before delivering a kick in his stomach. “Thank you.”
 
A woman? His hiding spot made it impossible for him to see the person’s face, but he had no intention to and slide onto the ground as everything became clear to him.
 
 
“Someone from your department occasionally meets up with a woman from Matsuka’s side.”
 
 
Images of the murdered convict and Yunho flashed through his mind as the pieces came together.
 
“Did you tell anyone else about this?” “He knows the face of the officer?” “This is between the both of us.”
 
“You can’t pull me out of an ongoing case!” “You’ll be assigned to another case.”
 
Nichkhun opened his eyes and slowly glance over at Yunho who was writhing on the ground. A second later, people arrived at the scene and there were shouting and crying going on but none disturbed him more than the revelation did.
 
“Yunho sunbae?” The words escaped his lips but it was drowned out by the commotion. “Is the traitor?”