Chapter 24

Zero Gravity

 

He had met with Han’s parents in the morgue where they were asked to identify their son’s body. Han’s mother, a woman in her late sixties, nearly fainted from shock upon seeing the pale face that belonged to her youngest and only son. His father remained steadfast throughout the entire conduct, but Nichkhun heard him break down the moment the doors closed behind him.
 
Han was the first to approach him when many others disregarded him as a newbie in the department, and made him do all sorts of work that wouldn’t benefit him in any way, unless they’re gearing him to compete with the best barista in town. Han was the most junior member of the team before Nichkhun came along, and he was able to empathize with him. Nichkhun smiled ruefully as he thought of their first encounter.
 
“F.ck those coffee maniacs.” Nichkhun nearly dropped more than the required sugar cubes into the mug at the sudden comment. “You should be out there learning the ropes, yet you’re in here making sure their coffee is decaf, what-not .” The man emptied the half filled container of sugar cubes into the mug, much to Nichkhun’s chagrin as the former cackled while stirring the contents.
 
“I’ll deliver this to the person.” The man laughed and slapped his shoulder. “Don’t worry. I’ll cover for you.”
 
“Thanks?” Nichkhun watched the vertically challenged man skipped out of the coffee room. How did he manage to prevent the coffee from spilling will never be known to Nichkhun. “No probs! By the way, I’m Han. Welcome to the team.”
 
“I’ll cover for you.” Nichkhun muttered and turned into the next corridor.
 
“Shoot me.”
 
“It’ll make my cover up more reliable if you shoot me.”
 
Nichkhun’s hands formed into fists and he stood in the middle of the corridor with his eyes shut. He was furious, angrier than he has ever been in his twenty eight years of life. His chest felt as if it could burst open any second now from the fuming and it slowly crept onto him, leaving him tired.
 
Jung Yunho. Yunho sunbae. He opened his eyes and channeled his entire energy to his fist as it made contact with the cool wall.
 
“Someone from your department occasionally meets with a woman from Matsuka’s side.”
 
“Thank you.” The woman in the shadows said as Yunho writhes on the ground.
 
His jaw tightened and a muscle flexed in his cheek while his hand held the doorknob firmly, his knuckles turning white from gripping it too hard. Nichkhun took a deep breath before entering the room where five beds lined both sides of the narrow room. He found his colleagues easily because it was the only bed with visitors crowded around it.
 
“Nichkhun.” One of them rushed over when she noticed him and it caught the other’s attention. “How are Han’s parents?”
 
“They needed time to themselves so I left.” Nichkhun looked into the woman’s concerned eyes and pulled his hand away but she held on firmly. “What about you? You and Han were close.” Her face was full of sympathy and he could almost read her mind through her gaze. You poor thing.
 
“I’m sorry about Han. It was already too late when I reached him.”
 
Nichkhun shifted his gaze and fixed his eyes on the man lying on the bed with a bandaged shoulder. “Don’t blame yourself, sunbae.” A man said but Yunho shook his head. “No, it was my fault. If I hadn’t left his side for a few seconds, he wouldn’t be dead.” Nichkhun held back a scoff and pulled his hand away. “Let’s go. We’re crowding around his bed instead of allowing him to rest.” They paid their respects and left.
 
Nichkhun lingered around the rear of the group and stopped at the end of the bed. “Sunbae, I think I might have a lead on the mole issue.” Yunho merely looked at him with raised eyebrows in genuine interest. “Who is it?” Yunho paused. “Han?”
 
“No, sunbae.” Nichkhun walked around the bed and stood before him. “I believe it’s someone of higher authority than a junior level subordinate like Han.” He stoops to match Yunho’s eye level and spoke in low tones, Nichkhun’s eyes never leaving the elder one. Yunho refused to break eye contact and tilted his head. “What do you mean?”
 
“I dare say that Han was merely at the wrong place, at the wrong time.” Nichkhun searched for his superior’s reaction to his statement, but nothing betrayed Yunho’s calm demeanor. “Indeed, he was unlucky.” Yunho offered a curt nod. “And lucky you were, to only sustain non-life threatening injuries.” Yunho caught a glimpse of the twitch in his jaw before Nichkhun composed himself.
 
“I apologize for taking up your resting time, Yunho sunbae.” Nichkhun bowed curtly. “Good night.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
The door to the private hospital room swung open and a wild looking Henry rushed in while Amber shut the door quietly behind her. He approached the bed and swore under his breath upon taking in the bruises that could be seen on every visible part of her body, with some that extended further beneath her hospital gown.
 
“Henry.” Sooyoung sobbed and he gently embrace her, afraid to cause her anymore pain. She tightened her arms around his neck and buried her face in his shoulder.
 
Amber joined Victoria by the windows and rested her head on the older woman’s shoulder, exhaling tiredly. “What did they do to her?” She asked softly while watching him comforts the traumatized woman.
 
“When we reached her, the men had stripped her and one of them was about to force himself on her before Sulli killed him.” Victoria shook her head and wrinkled her nose in disgust. “They must have gotten wind about what happened in Tokyo, but couldn’t do anything so they decided to take it out on her.” They watched Sooyoung claw Henry’s back, refusing to let go of him when he tried pulling away. “Yunho’s unit was on location.”
 
“What?” Amber whispered urgently. “Did you run into him?”
 
“No. But his colleague died.” Victoria wrapped her arms tighter around her and rubbed them warm. “Yunho killed him to give us the chance to flee, and also because he knew who I was.” Amber widened her eyes and motioned for them to talk outside.
 
Henry wanted to go after her but Sooyoung wouldn’t allow it, and he patiently sat with her until she fell asleep. He tucked her in and frowned at the bruises that covered her body. “I’m sorry, Sooyoung”
 
He found Amber curled in one of the loveseats in the waiting area and crouched by her side, watching her sleep. “Stop staring.” Her tired voice startled him and he fell on his . “Sheesh, Amber. That was creepy.” She looked at him with an eye open. “And you, staring at me sleep isn’t creepy?”
 
Amber watched his eyes formed into slits as he grinned at her and his smile faded and he looked at her with all seriousness. “Thank you.” He whispered. “I know it isn’t easy to help me with Sooyoung.” She flashed him a smile and reached for his cheek, running a thumb across his smooth skin.
 
Henry caught her hand and kissed the inside of her palm. “Can I stay over at your place tonight?”
 
 
~~
 
 
“Here it is.” She entered the small guest room and dumped the comforter and pillow on the bed. “Just a fair warning, the bed creaks badly and it may feel as if it’ll give way soon, but trust me it won’t.” Amber leaned across the bed and dusted it and straightened the sheets.
 
“The bathroom’s down the hall, just before the kitchen and my room is two doors away from here so you know where to find me if there’s anything u—“ Her words faded away when he wrapped his arms around her and Amber leaned into him.
 
“What’s with you today?” His arms tightened around her waist and he buried his nose in the crook of her neck. “I just realized how dangerous and unpredictable your work can get. I’m worried.”
 
Amber turned in his embrace and held his face in her hands, looking into his eyes. “Don’t be.” She whispered, and smiled reassuringly. “And you can’t get rid of me that easily.”
 
“I’ll hold you accountable if you ran away with my heart, Amber.” He traced her nose with the tip of his. “Cheese.” She muttered while he planted a kiss on her nose.
 
She closed her eyes as he dipped his head and she stood on her toes to meet his lips.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“I’m busy.” Amber said without looking up from her work. “It’s alright,” The person drop himself into the seat in front of her desk. “I don’t mind, I can wait.”
 
“Well, I mind.” She snapped the folder close and threw it aside. “What do you want Joon?” She sighed and took off her glasses. “You.” She rolled her eyes and resumed her work. “Then what are you doing with Luna if you want me?”
 
“I guess you can say that she’s the rebound.” He shrugged, raising his eyebrows when she looked at him with disgust. “What?”
 
“You’re horrible. She truly likes you but you’re just playing with her?” Amber raised her voice. “Now, now. Keep your voice down. You really don’t want rumours flying around the place.” Joon closed the shutters of her room and deftly locked the door on his way back to his seat. “Luna’s not particularly fond of you.”
 
“And whose fault is it?” Joon faked innocence. “I’ve no idea.”
 
“Joon, while we’re still on talking terms, let me get this through your thick skull.” She leaned back into her chair and fixed her eyes on him. “I’ll never like you more than a friend. If you think that by doing all these petty things like getting together with Luna or forcing Henry out of the picture, is going to help you with me then you’re wrong. It’s only increasing the distance between us.”
 
“I’ll take that into consideration.” She watched him wearily as her words were lost on him. “Anyway,” Amber moved away when he leaned across her desk, like he was afraid someone would overhear them. “I have a piece of delicious gossip. Interested in knowing it?”
 
“No.” She opened the door and glared. “Get out.”
 
“It’s about Henry, and you’d want to hear it.” Joon pulled the door from her limp grip and shut it behind them quietly. “And I’m not crying wolf either.” She stared at the voice recorder in his hand. Amber felt as if her heart had stopped beating when she recognized the voice apart from her own.
 
“He is my nephew.”
 
She snatched the electronic device and threw it at the wall, its broken remains scattered over the floor. “It’s no use.” Amber stared at him wordlessly. “Do you honestly think this is the only copy?”
 
“What do you want?” She clenched her jaw when he entered her personal bubble, and whispered in her ear. “I just want you to know that you should be careful of your decisions from now on. Who knows when the public will hear about this.”
 
“Go ahead.” Amber slapped his hand away from her face, but he caught it and drew her to him. “Now you’re just tempting me.” Joon brushed his lips across her forehead and released her.
 
“Anyway, I didn’t come in here for nothing. My brother called for an emergency meeting.”
 
“Let’s hurry along, shall we?”
 
 
~~
 
 
“We’ve received news about the death of Matsuka’s nephew,” Amber stiffened at his words and noticed Joon looking at her from the corner of her eye. “Hatakeda Hiro. He was one of the influential clan members.” Her shoulders dropped in relieve as she closed her eyes and exhaled softly.
 
“He was murdered at one of the brothels that were under his control. The e who killed him confessed that she was paid by a man to do it.” Donghae placed a photo on the table and they crowded around it. “Whom she identified as Nakahara Toshi.”
 
“Apparently, Hatakeda seduced and slept with Nakahara’s wife, who’s currently pregnant with Hatakeda’s child. Also, he played around with Nakahara’s married sister. Nakahara is the largest exporter of raw seafood for sushi consumption.” Donghae explained to Luna who was new to the group and thus not well versed with the names involved.
 
“I suppose Matsuka wants us to kill this man to avenge for his nephew’s death?” She asked.
 
“Although Nakahara is not yakuza, he’s still powerful and well-respected among the businessmen.” Luna looked on quizzically as Donghae laughed and dropped in his seat. “Besides, Matsuka wouldn’t give a d.amn about that trouble maker of a nephew. Not that he would react any differently if it were his other family members. They hold no place in his heart.”
 
Amber was reminded of her conversation with Matsuka, and nothing mattered more to him other than his beloved half-sister. “Nakahara has refused to return the goods that he’d stolen from Hatakeda, and he knows Matsuka couldn’t simply kill him or risk affecting his business in Tokyo.”
 
“So he’s basically off-limits.” Krystal crossed her arms and blew her bangs in exasperation. “Matsuka did not issue a kill order; all he wants is the stolen drugs to be returned to him. However, he has given the green light to create as much damage as you wish.” Donghae returned her smirk with one of his own. “Matsuka may not be able to kill him, but these people have to be reminded of their place. Matsuka is not a pushover.”
 
 
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
The black sedan eased to a stop by the road side as other cars whizzed pass on the main road. Nichkhun watched as the car that he was tailing drove down the ramp that led to the basement car park.
 
He told no one the truth about Yunho because he has no evidence and the key witnesses, his ex-partner and the petty thief, are both dead. Nichkhun doesn’t have anyone that he could trust to share this information and it’s making him paranoid. But he is now firmer than before about Yunho’s involvement with the yakuza because the car that he’d been tailing was driven by Yunho and it’s currently in the building that is Matsuka’s headquarters.
 
The loud rap on the window snapped him back to reality and a traffic officer’s muffled voice reached him. The officer gestured for him to leave the no parking zone even though he had shown his police officer’s badge, and Nichkhun had no choice but to drive away.
 
 
~~
 
 
“Come in.” Their discussion ceased at the man’s entrance and he bowed, nodding curtly in Donghae’s direction.
 
“May I speak to you in private?” Yunho’s eyes flickered in Donghae’s direction. “It’s alright. Donghae has recently been informed about you.” Amber introduced the two men, and Donghae held out his palm for him to proceed. “Yes, please go on.”
 
“Nichkhun has  begun to suspect me.”
 
“Who’s Nichkhun?” Donghae asked, but she didn’t hear him.  Amber’s heart was beating like she had ran a marathon and the sound of blood pumping filled her ears as she stared at Yunho in a daze. No, I should have sent Donghae out. Amber looked away and was met with Donghae’s questioning gaze.
 
“Who is Nichkhun?” His eyes narrowed when he received silence in reply. “What are you hiding? Tell me this instant!” She flinched at his raised voice and glanced at their informer who seemed uninterested in their exchange, but she knew he was waiting for her answer as well.  “Amber, this is your last warning. Tell me. Now.”
 
And she did, reluctantly.
 
Amber has never seen Donghae this livid as his eyes hardened at her every word and stormed out of her office, slamming her door so hard that the glass partition trembled in its place. Not long after excusing Yunho, she was told that her presence was needed at Matsuka’s office.
 
“Why did you conceal the truth?” Matsuka looked at her tiredly; the lines across his forehead became deeper when he frowned. “You’ve never done anything like this before.”
 
“Because he means a lot to Victoria.” Amber answered truthfully and the disapproving Donghae scoffed before turning his back to her. “And you’re willing to take a gamble? There is a reason why personal emotions aren’t encouraged when it comes to work.” She evened her breathing and kept on a straight face as his grey eyes bore into hers.
 
“Eliminate him.”
 
“Please give him another chance, sir.” Amber pleaded as she squeezes her hands tightly behind her back. “Please.”
 
“How can you be sure that he wouldn’t be threat in the future?” Matsuka asked. Amber looked on silently as he walked to the decorative table where a potted bonsai sat atop it.
 
“This plant was only able to grow into this beautiful stage because of the ts that it has endured along the way.” He ran his eyes over the plant and reached for the pair of trimmers set beside the plant. “You shape, control, and direct where it should grow.” He a stray bud and snipped it off. “And it is the same for people. We get rid of anyone who pose a threat to us.” Matsuka set the trimmers aside and approached her. “How can you be sure that he wouldn’t be threat in the future?”
 
“I can’t.” Amber shook her head. “But if you let him go now, and he crosses the line next time, I’m responsible for his termination. You have my word.” Matsuka studied her silently, his eyes fixed on hers.
 
“Alright. I’ll give this man and Victoria another chance.  If anything happens, I want him dead.” Matsuka told her firmly. “I trust you’ll keep to your end of the bargain.”
 
 
~~
 
 
“Unni, what’s your decision? The proposal was made two weeks ago.” Amber folded her legs under her and curled into the corner of the couch. “You can’t continue postponing it.”
 
Victoria sat in silence in the seat opposite hers and she hasn’t moved since Amber told her about what happened earlier. The black box lay open on the table where the twins were crowded around it, admiring the ring within. Luna had excused Joon and herself from the party, and Amber caught a hint of a smirk before they disappeared up the stairs.
 
“Nuna.” Kibum entered the living room and shoved a barista worthy beverage into her hands. “It’s your favourite latte.” He said cutely, even though it was weird for a man his age to be doing so. She nodded her thanks and left it on the table without taking a sip.
 
“If I marry him, I would have to leave the team.” Victoria turned to Amber who was in a tussle with Kibum over the limited seat space. “Would Matsuka allow it?”
 
“That wouldn’t be a problem. I’ll justify your actions.” Amber tried shoving him away but failed, and Kibum merely plopped himself on her. “You are crushing my legs! Ger’off!
 
“Nuna, the most important thing is whether you’re truly in love with Nichkhun to spend your life with him. Marriage is a huge issue. I mean, yeah, divorce is the current trend, but you get my point. And, stop! Wriggling!” Kibum forced his into the tiny space next to her and they sat with their bodies pressed tightly next to each other. “Wasn’t that hard.”
 
“Yeah, hyung. Now I can barely move.” Amber jabbed her elbow at his side in annoyance. “Victoria unni, just accept Nichkhun’s proposal.”
 
“What? She’s not gonna accept it just for the sake of accepting it.”
 
“It’s either she do it, or lose him.” Amber looked to her and the twins stopped fussing over the ring. “I planned to have Nichkhun transferred to another department where he wouldn’t be able to focus his attention on Matsuka related issues.”
 
“If unni marries him, she can keep tabs on him while still remaining by his side. Matsuka would approve of this.” Victoria left the room without a word and Amber followed her while Kibum gestured for the twins to stay behind.
 
Victoria wrapped the flimsy sweater around her as she stepped on the snow covered lawn. She looked up at the sky and watched her misty breath cloud her vision. She bit back the shudder that threatened to run through her entire body when a warm coat rested over her shoulders. Victoria turned and her eyes followed Amber as she tightened the outfit around the waist.
 
“You should have at least grabbed something before running out here.” The younger woman muttered and turned away from her, staring blankly in the direction of the dark woods behind the mansion. “There was something that I didn’t want to say with the others around.”
 
“Matsuka wanted insurance for giving Nichkhun a second chance. He wouldn’t take anything until I made a promise.” Both stared at each other in silence. “I told him that I would kill Nichkhun personally if he ever gets out of line again.” Victoria’s expression remained unchanged and she walked away from her. “Unni.”
 
“You have to do what you have to do.” Victoria said sharply and stood with her back facing her. “Marry Nichkhun and keep him safe.” Amber touched her arm and Victoria watched her from the corner of her eye. “I can assist you with separating him as far as away from Matsuka’s activities, but there’s only this much I can do.”
 
“The rest is up to you.” Amber embraced her and the latter buried her nose in her shoulder, wrapping her arms tightly around Amber. “I’m sorry, unni.”
 
 
~~
 
 
“Joon.” He stepped out of the cozy bedroom and joined her at the balcony. “What is it?” Luna looked down as his arms crept from behind and pulled her against him.
 
Stop it.” Joon rested his chin on her head and swayed their bodies. “What do you mean ‘stop it’?”
 
“I don’t think Amber is the person you say she is.” Luna pushed him away and turned around to face him. “She may have treated you like what you’ve told me but she doesn’t seem to be that kind of person.”
 
“Are implying that I lied to you?” Joon dropped his hands and studied her, his voice as cold as ice.
 
“I don’t know what to believe. I don’t care what you’ve told me or what I’ve been made to believe, all I treasure right now is us.” Luna touched his cheek. “Let’s start over again.”
 
“I’m not interested in knowing why you chose to lie to me, just promise you wouldn’t do that again.”
 
“Why? I’m sure that you’re itching to know.”
 
“Fine. I’ll give you the truth.” Joon pushed her hand away and took a step back. “I don’t like you, I never did. I only pretended that I did so that you’ll do whatever I say.”
 
“I don’t want to hear it.” Luna covered her ears and shook her head.
 
“I’ve never stopped liking Amber, and she means everything to me.” Joon pulled her hands away and she struggled against him. “You’re right. She isn’t the type of person as what I’ve described to you. She’s far from it. She’s purer than you will ever be.”
 
Tears filled her vision and her heart aches as she knew he was implying the men that she’d slept with while she was working for BoA. “Stop. Please.” Luna whimpered as she slapped her hands over her ears.
 
“No, I will not!” Joon pinned her body against the wall and breathed down her neck. “How can you ever think of surpassing her place in my heart? What made you confident that I’ll change for you? Who are you!”
 
“Stop it. I don’t want to hear it.” Luna cried and pushed his body weakly. “Please.”                                          
 
Joon stepped away and she slumped to the ground as her legs gave away. He looked down at her, guilt tugging at the corner of his heart, and he left before it enveloped him entirely. He encountered Kibum outside her bedroom, and walked pass him without any word.
 
Weird.” Kibum muttered as he reached to close the door left open by Joon when he heard noises coming from within. The sobs grew louder as he approached the balcony and found Luna huddled in a corner.
 
Luna?” She pulled her arm away from his grasp and bit her lips to stop the sobbing. “Go away.”
 
“What did Joon do to you?” Kibum asked angrily and forced her to look at him.  Her wet eyelashes batted rapidly and she struggled to keep the sobs down. He immediately softened. “You can tell me. Luna,” He pulled her to him and embraced her petite body. “It’s alright. You can tell me.”
 
She refused and he didn’t pursue any further, and stayed with her until she fell asleep.
 
 
  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Take these with you, we’ll cover you guys.” Amber shoved the bags containing the drugs into Krystal’s hands as she fired blindly behind her. “Luna, you’ll go with Krystal.” With that, they disappeared up the staircase as the remaining four led Nakahara’s men away.
 
Sulli pulled the pin with her teeth and threw the grenade at the group of men who scattered upon recognizing the object. The four quickly seek cover behind a huge crate before an explosion rang throughout the warehouse by the dock.
 
“Is everyone okay?” Victoria asked as the dust settled but they were on the run again when a few men rounded their corner. “We’re here!” Sulli exclaimed.
 
Victoria and Amber ran down the stairs as Sulli and Joon held the fort, and they quickly activated explosives around the basement. Victoria pulled out her earpiece in annoyance when the static disturbed her concentration. She activated her last explosive and returned to the others. “Let’s go!”
 
Sulli followed after her but Joon remained when he realized that they were missing a person. “Amber’s not out yet!” He shouted over the crossfire and Victoria pulled Sulli behind a wall. “She told me she’d to set up a last explosive!” Victoria reloaded her gun and fired at the men who were hiding behind a container. “But that was a while ago!”
 
“Amber!” Joon called for her and threw a grenade at the men when he ran out of bullets and the explosion momentarily ceased gun fire. “It’s no use. There’s no signal in the basement.” Victoria appeared from her cover and shot several men from advancing to Joon.
 
Sulli dashed over to Joon as Victoria covered her, and she shoved a few loaded magazines into his hands. “You go fetch unni while we lead them away.” Sulli jumped to her feet and threw another grenade in the same direction as Joon did. “Now go!” Joon hurried down the stairs before the men saw him and she waved to him before returning to Victoria.
 
He his flashlight and held it above his gun as he proceeds through the dimly lit basement. Joon spun around sharply when he heard the clatter of a metal pipe and ran towards the source of the sound.
 
“Unni, can you hear me?” Amber hissed into her mouthpiece and kicked the dead man’s leg in frustration when all she heard was static buzz from her earpiece. “How am I going to find her in this huge place? Damn basement.” The faint footsteps caught her attention and she snatched the copper pipe from the ground and swung it at her next attacker.
 
“Holy shi—“ Joon jumped out of the way in alarmed. “It’s me!” Before Amber could utter her apologies, the rush of footsteps from the staircase reached their ears.
 
They ran along the shadows of the huge industrial freezers, and she pushed him against wall as a group of men ran pass. “Unni.” She hissed, but Joon quickly clamped his hand over and pulled her to him. She felt shivers travelled through her body as his breath tickled the back of her neck. “Someone’s coming.” He whispered in her ear. They held their breath when a foot stepped into their view, and a man stood with his back at them.
 
His arm above her chest stiffened and she could feel his heart beating fervently that mirrored hers. Joon inched closer to the other end as silent as he could, and froze when the man stopped looking around and they noticed his head flicker to the shadows where they’d stayed hidden.
 
“On my count.” His voice returned in her ear.
 
“1.” Joon’s hand was at her waist as he tugged her with him.
 
“2.” She aimed her gun at the man and quietly slipped along the shadows. The man felt something amiss and gradually turned around as his eyes scanned the place and noticed movement in the shadows, just as a flash of light greeted him and he slumped to the ground.
 
3.” He muttered as she pushed him out of the shadows. “We have to find unni. I can’t contact her.” Amber peered from the behind a wall and pulled out her earpiece.  “Victoria’s already on ground level. She thought you’d be too because you have only an explosive left to activate.”
 
“I got held up by the guard who was making his rounds.” Amber glanced at their synchronized watches and sighed. “We have ten minutes to get to them. If not, they’ll have to leave as we previously agreed.” They are deep within the enemy’s turf and a slight delay would determine the chances of them making it out alive.
 
“There’s another stairwell leading out of here at the other end of the basement. We’re actually quite close to it.” They made their way over with their guns at ready and not long after that, the foot of the stairs was within their sight.
 
“Six minutes to spare.” Joon’s grin faded when movement behind her caught his attention. “Duck!” He yelled to her and fired instantly once she was out of his way. It was hard to move about in the tight space and she leaned against the cold metal of the freezer to keep out of his way. She was reloading his gun when she noticed a man coming up from behind and she was a second too slow before Joon collapsed next to her.
 
She immediately resumed his position and shot every of the men without missing a target as her eyes blazed in anger and determination. She threw a gas can in their direction before reaching for Joon who was doubled over, coughing hard. “Are you alright?”
 
“The as.shole shot me twice in the back.” Joon gritted his teeth and thumped against the bulletproof vest under his top. She smiled and slapped the back of his head. “You can complain after we get out of here.”
 
They made it out of the basement and were greeted by another group of men standing with their rifles aimed at them. “Drop your guns or we will shoot.” The man at the front commanded.
 
Both placed their guns on the ground and held their hands up as she looked at Joon from the corner of her eye and he gave her a curt nod. Three men approached them and one stood guard with his rifle raised as the other two searched their bodies.
 
“Look where you’re touching.” Amber hissed when the man’s hand came close to her chest. He looked into her eyes and smirked knowingly as he patted her behind, his hands lingering longer than needed. “I’m just doing my job. Searching for concealed weaponry.”  He said and gave her a tight slap on her bottom. “Nice .” The man focused his rifle on her when she made a slight move.
 
“Watch it or you’d get your head blown off.” His hands circled her hip and her body tensed when one of his hands slide under her top and caressed her toned abdomen sensually. “Get your f.cking hands off her!” Joon shouted and the rifle was aimed at him instead.
 
“Yes. Get your dirty hands away from me.” Amber grabbed his wrists and swiftly twisted it behind him, followed by a knee kick in his jaw. She attacked the other man and snatched his rifle from him as Joon tackled the man at his side. She handed him the rifle and used the man who harassed her as a human shield while they backed away from the group.
 
“One move and I’ll kill him.” Amber tightened her grip around his neck and pulled him into a corner as Joon kept watch. She kept a foot on his throat and tore his walkie-talkie away from his waistband. “Keep the distance from us or risk losing your man.” She threw the device out in the open where the rest of the men could see and shot the walkie-talkie.
 
“You can’t get out of this place alive.” The man struggled under her foot and she pulled him onto his feet by his collar and her fist connected with his jaw. “You underestimate us.”
 
“Really?” He spat out blood and laughed at her. “Your people left you two to die in here.” Joon read his watch and the digital numbers were blinking back at him in red. “The security checkpoint radioed that they escaped two minutes ago.” Amber smiled at him and kicked his head in annoyance.
 
What now, Joon mouthed to her.
 
“We stay alive and make it out of here alive.” She reloaded her gun and turned to the man when he laughed which only caused more blood to escape of his mouth. “No, you’re not!” Amber nudged his hand away from his body while she kept his other arm under pinned her foot. Without any warning, she shot his left hand and stomped on it and grinded the boot of her heel in his wound. He screamed in agony and writhed under her before she released him but his nightmare wasn’t over.
 
She shoved a live grenade into his mouth and he gagged at the large object pressing against the back of his throat, and whimpered as she dragged him to face the others. He fell to his knees and they reeled in shock upon seeing the object in his mouth.
 
“We’ve a message for your boss, so please, relay it back to him.” Amber backed away from him and joined Joon. “Do not mess with us.”
 
The man’s head jerked forward from the impact of the bullet and she pulled Joon along with her as the rest of the men scampered away.
 
They rounded the corner and leaned against the wall just as the explosion reverberated through the building. “We’ll make it out alive.” Amber closed her eyes and stabilized her breathing, her chest rising and falling slowly. “We’ll make it out alive.” Joon reached for her hand and she turned to him. He smiled reassuringly and his hand tightened around hers.
 
“.”
 
He opened fire and shoved her ahead of him as he covered her. They ran deeper into the warehouse and zig zag their way through the aisles before taking cover behind a cargo to reload. “Has unni contacted you?” She took advantage of the cargo as her shield and returned fire. “I lost my earpiece in the basement.” He shook his head and took his position as she crouched to reload.
 
“We have to move!” He ducked and pulled her with him. They ran as fast as their legs could carry them while narrowly missing the rain of bullets. They approached a section where a row of industrial freezers were fitted in the wall.
 
Joon found an unlocked unit and ushered her in as the sound of footsteps got closer and quickly shut the door behind him. Muted conversations and banging on doors reached their ears and they glanced at each other when a presence stood outside their walk-in freezer. Amber tightened her grip on her gun and Joon stood next to her with his rifle raised as the door rattled and dull bumps echoed the interior as the person on the other side pushed against the door
 
“All the freezers are locked. They must have hidden somewhere else. The entire place is under lockdown, they couldn’t be that far off.”
 
Amber approached the door and started jiggling the door handle once the men went away and she turned to him in alarmed. ”It won’t open.”
 
He gripped the frost covered handle and turned it swiftly while shoving his shoulder against the door repeatedly but it wouldn’t budge. They froze when a snap reached their ears and the broken door handle lay on his reddened palm. “.”
 
A shudder travelled through their bodies and they looked above their heads as cold air seeped in through the air conditioning vents.  “Double .” Amber snatched his mouthpiece and he watched her spoke urgently into it. “Unni, unni are you there? Kibum hyung?”
 
“I think it’s damaged.” She threw the object on the ground and observed their surroundings. The air was getting colder and smoke escaped their lips as Joon trailed behind her while she threw the frozen seafood packages away from the wall. “Amber, say something.”
 
She remained silent and continued her futile attempt of searching for a way out. “There’s only one way out of here which is through that door.” He said and jumped in surprised when she him. “That’s very helpful.” Amber hissed and pushed him out of her way.
 
“What? You think a crack in the wall can get us out of this freezer?” Joon retorted. “I know that it’s my fault for leading us in here but give me a break, how should I know that the door is faulty.”
 
“I didn’t say that any of these is your fault.” Amber kicked the door jam in frustration. “Well, your body language is implying it.” Without warning, she spun around and swept her feet under him. “I never said I blamed you.” She reached for her gun and he moved away instinctively. “Stop being so stubborn and listen to me.” She fired the door jam and kicked at it again but it still wouldn’t budge and she cried out in frustration.
 
Joon watched her shudder and he realized that his fingers were beginning to turn numb from the cold. “They’ll come for us.” Amber scoffed and reloaded her gun. “They’ll return when they realized that we’re nowhere to be found, and I’d be ready for them.”
 
“I don’t mean them, I meant nuna and the rest.” Joon pushed himself to rest against the wall and exhaled to a visible cloud of hot breath. “We’re tracked, they’ll know where to find us.” He opened his eyes and patted the empty space next to him.
 
“So, just chill.” Amber looked at him uneasily when he broke out laughing and doubled over his legs. “Get it? Just ‘chill’.” He leaned back and wiped the corner of his eyes.  “We’re literally chilling in this place.”
 
“Stop it.” She crossed her arms to keep herself warm. “We’d just have to tough it out for a while.” Her insides began to tremble from the coldness and she hugged her knees to retain her body heat.
 
The room grew mistier and their smoky breath was getting less visible as they breathing slowed and they struggled to keep their eyes open. Joon breathed laboriously and blinked as he turned to Amber, who had her face buried in her arms while her body trembled. He scooted over and pulled her into him and wrapped his arms around her.
 
“Hey, don’t fall asleep.” Amber’s eyes flickered open and snuggled closer to him while he ran his hand back and forth on her arm. “I’m not.” She retorted and puffed out her cheeks.
 
“Do you remember the Ultraman underwear you got for me?” Joon started a random conversation to keep them awake and chuckled as he leaned his head against the cool wall. “I was so livid with humiliation that I burned them.”
 
“You’re the one who started it first. If you hadn’t gone through my stuff, none of that would’ve happened.” She snorted. “You were such a crybaby when we first got you. I swore you were hurling empty threats at us over the simplest things, to the extent that your brother eventually cut off all contact with you.” Amber pulled the end of her sleeves over her palms and breathed into her cupped hands.
 
“Whatever, I saved your countless of times and you’ve yet to thank me.” He nudged her head with his shoulder and she turned to glare but he was staring at her with unreadable eyes. They stayed that way until she tore her gaze away and got to her feet.
 
Amber felt his eyes on her as she jumped and moved her arms about to keep her blood running throughout her body. Joon reached for her wrist and pulled. She slipped and fell on his lap as he held her hand against his chest and his face was uncomfortably near hers. Amber moved away from him and turned to look elsewhere while her hand was still in his grasp.
 
“Do you remember at your housewarming, when I kissed you?” Joon slipped his fingers through hers and tugged for her attention. Amber glanced at their hands and tried pulling away from his firm grip but to no avail and her hand remained limp in his.
 
“If you hadn’t met him, would you have returned the kiss?” Silence greeted him and he panicked, thinking that she’d succumbed to the cold. “Amber?” He leaned forward to look at her and she was sitting there, staring into his eyes. He pursed his lips and fell onto his back.
 
“What’s so special about him that you like so much?” Joon said through his chattering teeth. Again, silence. “Amber, answ—”
 
“I just want to be normal. Live a normal life, fall in love with a normal person and grow old with him.”
 
“None of it will happen. You know that better than anyone else. You have your responsibilities to Matsuka. Sooner or later, you’d have to abandon your little fantasy.” Amber dropped her head and bit her lips.
 
“It’s an ideal life that I’ve never stopped wishing for. I know it’s impossible but can’t I be selfish this once? We’ll hurt but he’ll forget me soon enough when he meets someone else that’a better than I can ever be. I want to experience this happiness for as long as this fantasy would last.”
 
“So, even at death’s door, I can’t be the one?”
 
“Joon, I don’t simply let anyone into my life and I’m fiercely protective of those that I love. And you’re one of them.” She looked at him and smiled wearily. “Haven’t I told you this before?”
 
“Yeah, you did.” He nodded, playing with her fingers, her hand awfully small in his. “You have tiny hands.”
 
“I love him, I love you.” Amber ignored his comment. “Unni, hyung, Sulli, Krystal, every one of you. You’ll always be part of my life.” Her eyelids fluttered close and her breathing grew shallower as the room grew wispier as the temperature dropped further to stabilized the odd distribution of cold air.
 
“But I want to be the only one you love.” Joon found her eyes closed and patted her cheeks lightly and her glazed eyes met his. “Amber, don’t sleep. You can sleep all you want once we’re out of here.” The sides of lifted in a smile and she closed her eyes again. “That’s if we don’t freeze to death first.”
 
He read his watch. 15 minutes has passed, he looked at her worriedly and rubbed her arms to keep her warm even though his heartbeat was also growing weaker and his cheeks were so cold, he couldn’t feel them. “Amber, will you forgive me?” He said softly as his own eyelids grew heavier by the second.
 
“Am I finally getting the original Joon back?” Amber laughed weakly and her limbs felt lethargic as she tried to move them. “I’m counting on that.” Joon drew her into him and she snuggled closer, grateful for the minimal warmth. “I’ll be waiting for you when your fantasy ends and I’ll woo you fairly.” She chuckled. “Apology accepted.”
 
They stayed like that for a while until she remembered of something. Something which she knew that has been long overdue. She knew that her next move may contradict whatever she’d told him and lead him on, but somehow she knew that he would never cross the line again. Or maybe she just wasn’t thinking straight since the cold was disrupting her ability to make any logical sense.
 
“Joon, look at me.”
 
Amber leaned in and her nose bumped into his as she hesitated. He felt his heart pounding in his ears at their closeness and his lips inched closer but held himself back. “Thank you.” She mentioned the long over due acknowledgement and closed her eyes, pressing her lips gently to his. He shivered, not from the cold but her initiative and he kissed her tenderly, enjoying the shape of her lips on his.
 
“Last one.” Joon held her back from pulling away and kissed her deeply as she drifted into the darkness.
 
 
~~
 
 
“Did you get the image I sent you?”
 
“Yeah.” Luna tapped the tablet screen and studied the layout of the warehouse and her eyes found the two red blips. “Their trackers are located in a walk-in freezer and it hasn’t moved for the last twenty minutes.”
 
“Krystal, what’s the security like in the warehouse?” Kibum watched the men guarding the entrance of the warehouse through the scope from the shady part of the slope that they were standing on. “Hold on.”  They gathered around Luna as they watched the live camera feed from within.
 
There are men guarding at both ends of the warehouse, twenty men approx on each side. There are another thirty or so, patrolling the entire place.” Sulli set up the sniper rifle and positioned it in the direction of the entrance. “It’s an immediate rescue mission. You have approximate six minutes to get them before the entire place is swarmed with back up.”
 
Sulli positioned the rocket launcher over her shoulder and took aim. A second passed and the entrance of the warehouse erupted into a ball of flame. “All clear.” She said and watched them ran pass the wreckage through her sniper scope.
 
The door of the freezer swung opened after the explosive device racked through the door jam. He reached the two unconscious people and searched for their pulse. “Thank god.” He detected their faint pulses and heaved Joon over his shoulders while Luna supported Amber.
 
“Oppa, unni will be here in thirty seconds.” Sulli fired shot after shot from her perch and the men didn’t know what hit them as they fell one by one. Her ears twitched when a twig snapped and reached inside her vest to pull out her gun.
 
She flipped onto her back and pulled the trigger, killing one of them while the other reacted swiftly and kicked the gun out of her hands. Sulli kicked his chest which sent him tumbling back as she reached for her concealed knife from her boot. They circled each other and a gust of strong wind blew and the updraft from the helicopter blades sent their hair up in a mess.
 
“Sulli, we’re ambushed!”  Luna urgent cries filled her ear just as the man lunged at her and she swiped her knife at him, beads of red liquid appeared on the edge of the blade. “Hold on!” The man grunted at the open wounds across his chest and charged at her angrily.
 
Sulli threw her knife at his heart and jumped out of the way as he tumbled off the slope. She grabbed the rocket launcher and ran down the slope towards the warehouse.
 
Duck.” Luna pulled Kibum down with her and an explosion ripped through the warehouse, followed by a second one soon after. “Clear.” They hurried towards the awaiting helicopter and with the help of Sulli, they heaved Joon and Amber onto the aircraft. Sulli shoved something into Kibum’s hand once they were airborne and the warehouse below them blew up, debris flying everywhere as they returned to base.
 
 
  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
She closed the door behind her quietly and stood in the hallway, listening to the sounds of laughter. Amber smiled knowingly at the bickering between Kibum and Krystal, and made her way towards his room. She hadn’t seen him since she woke up yesterday and she wasn’t able to anyway, considering that she was in and out of consciousness to which Sulli assured her it was only temporary and gave her a jab that made her fell back asleep.
 
Amber remembered the kiss they shared and her fingers reached up to touch her lips. She turned the door knob and peeked inside his room and found him with Luna by the windows. They both turned to her.
 
“I-uh..I’ll come back late—“
 
“It’s okay.” Luna smiled. “We’re done anyway.” Joon watched her walked away and offered a small smile at Amber. “I’ll let them know that you’re up.” Amber nodded in response and they were left alone in the room. “How are you?” She started small talk and held her hands behind her back, gripping them nervously.
 
“I’m sorry.” Joon approached her and looked into her surprised brown eyes. “I’m sorry for everything that I’ve done.”
 
“I’ve forgiven you.” Amber said and he smiled. “So, we’re back to being friends? I missed the old Joon.”
 
“Yeah, friendzone me all you want.” Joon drew her in for a hug and she wrapped her arms around him, laughing at his comment. “You’re back.” Amber mumbled into his chest and thumped his back. “Dork.”
 
“But remember one thing.” He said. “I’ll pursue you fairly when you finally end it with him. I ain’t kidding, I’ll make you fall for me.” His eyes formed crescent shape as the wide smile stretched across his face and she nodded absentmindedly. “We’ll see about that.”
 
“Can I ask you something?” Joon walked along side her as they made their way down the stairs towards the delicious smell of home cooked food awaiting them. “Yeah.”
 
“Can I have another kiss?”
 
“Don’t push your luck.”
 
 
~~
 
 
“I've confronted him.” Kibum found her standing behind the kitchen island and glanced at the microwave when the corn kernels popped.
 
“You were right. I was blinded all these while. I kept on believing that he loves me.” Luna approached him and he smiled proudly. “I’m glad you did it.”
 
“Me too.” She grinned and swept her hair away from her face. “He admitted his wrong doings and apologized.” He raised his eyebrow in skepticism. “He did?” Luna looked down and nodded.
 
“Yeah, and I’ve forgiven him.” Kibum dipped his head to look at her and she turned away. “I have a feeling that a ‘but’ is coming up.” He grinned mischievously.
 
“But my heart is still with him.” Luna watched his bright smile disappear and hastily reached for his hand.  “Please don’t push me away.” She pleaded and gripped his hand firmly. “You’re the only one that I can trust.”
 
Kibum pushed her hands away and took out the bowl of popcorn as she watched him intently. “Kibum—”
 
“I don’t need to hear any of those clichés, like what a wonderful guy I am or how I deserve someone better than you.” He turned to her and she noticed the twitch in his jaw. “I don’t need it. If you knew what a wonderful guy I am, you shouldn’t have let go of me.”
 
Luna felt as if her heart was a pin cushion as every word of his pierced her feelings and she sensed his disappointed in her. Kibum noticed the tears welling up in her eyes and forced himself to look over her head.
 
“The others are waiting for the popcorn.” He stepped around her and she grabbed his wrist but he shrugged it away. “If I’m the person that you trust in, then take my piece of advice to heart.”
 
“If he can deceive you, he’ll be able to do it again.” Luna opened to object but he shook his head. “I’m not asking you to ignore him all together. I just want you to be more careful around him.” Kibum looked at her for the last time before walking away.
 
Her hand fell to her side and her heart ached more than it did when Joon assaulted her with the truth.