Chapter 21

Zero Gravity
“Okay, I’ve got it.” Krystal played the recording and they crowded around her in the empty terminal. “The time frame’s when oppa left the queue to use the washroom.”
 
The grainy black and white footage showed the entrance of the washroom just as Kibum appeared with his back to the camera while on the phone. Amber looked at his phone on her lap and connected it to the laptop. “Hyung had programmed our phones to record conversations. Krystal, check his call log later.” Krystal nodded.
 
They watched him enter the washroom, followed by a group of suspicious men and not long after, they came out with an unconscious Kibum. It was clear that the men were feared because no one, not even the airport police approached the group. “They look like yakuza members.” Sulli commented.
 
Krystal switched channels and followed the men until they exited the terminal onto the tarmac where one of them handed the luggage handler a packet before driving away with Kibum. “The recording’s only twenty minutes old. The luggage handler should still be here.”
 
“I’m gonna search for the man. Krystal, play hyung’s last call and brief me once I get back.” Amber got up to leave and Sulli did the same too. “I’ll go with you, unni.”
 
“So who was oppa on the phone with?” Krystal pulled up a folder and was surprised by what she found. “Henry? Oppa called Henry?” She looked at the others and Victoria shrugged. “Play the conversation.”
 
“Oh d.amn. I got him on missed call.” They heard Kibum’s voice, followed by some loud shuffling before his voice was heard again. “Might as well do it.”  He muttered and continued. “Hey Henry, this is Kibum, Amber’s brother. We’ve met at the twins’ birthday party? Anyway, I heard that you two broke up.”
 
“What?” Krystal exclaimed, only to be shushed by Victoria as she turned up the volume.
 
“I know I shouldn’t be interfering with the relationship but I don’t give a d.amn right now. If you’re thinking about what a b.tch she is for blabbing this to me, then you’re wrong. Amber was reluctant to explain when I asked her about her odd behavior and she only relented after much prodding on my part. Before I go on, there is one thing I should remind you about.
 
Amber rarely reveals her inner feelings because she hates displaying her weaknesses, but what happened earlier left her heartbroken. Yeah, she might not have acted like other girls do but I could tell it was troubling her. I talked to her, hoping that she’ll feel better, instead of bottling up her emotions inside. She’s tough but there’s a limit to everything.
 
She told me what happened between the both of you. It’s not that she doesn’t want to tell, but she can’t. She’s afraid that if she does, you’d freak out and leave. Obviously, it’s wrong on her part but give her a chance to explain.
 
I want the two of you to meet up and talk this over. I don’t think the relationship should just end like this, it’s not worth it. This is coming from someone who has experienced it all and my only advice to you – don’t give up and treasure what’s before you because you’ll never know what will happen in the future.
 
And no, Amber doesn’t know I’m calling you about this. Don’t leave me disappointed because Amber deserves the wonderful guy that you are.”
 
“Whoa.” Krystal stared blankly at the phone and chuckled. “Who would have thought something this deep came from Kibum oppa?”
 
“I was harsh on Amber earlier. I didn’t know they had broken up.” Victoria looked away guiltily. “That explains her submissive behavior. Under normal circumstances, she would have bitten anyone’s head off.”
 
“Kibum’s only making it worst by encouraging them to get back together. Isn’t this enough to show that by having an outsider, Henry, in this case,” Joon sneered at the mention of his name. “Is a liability, not only to her but to the team as well?”
 
“I agree with Joon.” Luna piped out and rested her hand on the back of his neck, massaging his tensed muscles. “Having this guy around would only mean more headaches for us. He’s a well known businessman and owns the largest chain of malls in the country. That’s a lot of attention on him and wouldn’t it complicate our lives if they caught the interest of the paparazzi?”
 
“Well, it’s up to her to make the decision and know what’s best for the entire team.” Victoria turned her back towards them and watched the empty runway with her arms crossed. “But for now, let’s focus on Kibum.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“What shall I do with this stack of money?” The luggage handler swung his legs as he sat atop a crate while going through the money. “Maybe I’ll try out that strip club in town. I heard it’s good.”
 
“Or maybe a trip to the police station for assisting in a kidnapping case.” He looked up to find a luggage bag swinging in his way. He fell off his perch and landed on the hard ground below. He quickly reached for the envelope of cash and hugged it to his chest as the woman put down the bag.
 
“Who are you? This is a restricted area. You’re not supposed to be on the tarmac.” The woman with long hair knelt next to him and he felt shivers go up his arm. Although the woman had childlike features, she was anything but cute as she stared at him blankly, like those creepy dolls with enormously huge eyes.
 
“And I supposed the men that gave you this,” She jabbed the packet on his chest. “Had access to this place?”
 
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” The man shook his head and hugged it tighter to him. “This is my payroll for the month. Don’t you accuse me of accepting bribes!”
 
“Sulli, move away.” A low voice commanded and he watched the woman step aside.
 
Amber walked up to the man while dragging the trolley bag behind her and swung it with so much force at the man that you’d wonder whether he could still remember his name. “Now do you know what we’re talking about or do you want another wake up call?”
 
“You’re kkra-zy!” The man spitted blood out of his mouth as he shouted at her. “I guess not.” Amber swung the bag at him again which sent him sprawled on the ground while coughing out blood and a few teeth. “Tell us who the men were or she’ll hit you senseless.” Sulli snatched the envelope from him and threw it aside.
 
“De-ey’re yakuja membehs! I culdn’t sey no to them or dey’ll beet me up!” The man shuddered when he noticed the amount of blood on the ground. “Which yakuza clan?”
 
“Yojida!” Amber wasn’t surprised as it only confirmed her suspicion and she was worried. “They’ve probably found their dead members.” Sulli whispered.
 
“Let’s go.” Amber threw the bag away and kicked the envelope towards the man. “Get yourself treatment and some new teeth with the money than visit some strip club.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Sir.”
 
He felt someone patting his shoulder and he slowly opened his eyes. “Sir, we’ve landed in Seoul.” The air stewardess smiled politely at him and he looked around the empty cabin. “Oh, sorry. I fell asleep.” He unbuckled his seatbelt and apologized. “I know, sir. This way.” She escorted him out of the airplane and quickly ushered in the cleaning crew that were waiting for the last passenger to exit.
 
Henry’s hand hovered over his pocket as he contemplated whether to call her. He frowned and reached for his phone, the hell with our fight. The phone vibrated once it was switched on, announcing that he had a missed call. “Who is this?” He stared at the private number and listened to the recorded message.
 
“Oh d.amn. I got him on missed call.” He tried placing where he might have heard the familiar voice before as noises filled the phone before the man came back on. “Might as well do it.”
 
“Hey Henry, this is Kibum, Amber’s brother. We’ve met at the twins’ birthday party?” Ahh.A light bulb flashed in his head.  “Anyway, I heard that you two broke up.” Henry’s face immediately darkens and made his way to the terminal benches.
 
Henry sat there, staring into the distance while he listened to the recording and the more he listens, the more he regrets what he had done.
 
“This is coming from someone who has experienced it all and my only advice to you – don’t give up and treasure what’s before you because you’ll never know what will happen in the future.
 
And no, Amber doesn’t know I’m calling you about this. Don’t leave me disappointed because Amber deserves the wonderful guy that you are.”
 
The beep that followed after signaled the end of the recording and he read a text from Kibum.
 
I’d better be hearing good news or I’d hack into your company’s database and clear out all your important records. Don’t give me a reason to do it. :P.  –Kibum
 
He was drained of energy but this message managed to place a smile on his face and he chuckled. “Yes, he’s right.” Henry speed dialed her and hesitated for a split second before holding the phone next to his ear.
 
He drummed his fingers on his thigh as he nervously waited for the call to go through but it didn’t and he ended the call before the start of the recording.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 
“Kibum’s tracker shows his location at a club in the red light district. That’s where Yoshida’s base is.” Krystal sighed and shook her head. “For once, I’m glad of oppa’s crazy idea to have trackers with us at all times.” She the simple black dot earring on her right ear. “Although, oppa should have designed nicer looking earrings for the trackers.”
 
“So how are gonna get in and out of the place? The entire red light district is controlled by Yoshida and his men would be everywhere.” Victoria asked aloud but she appeared to be questioning herself instead. “It’s not possible to get out of the place with a car since the street’s usually packed with people.”
 
“Why not use bikes?” Joon sat forward and rested his elbows on his legs. “Matsuka has couple of superbikes in his garage.”
 
“We could use them but Kibum will definitely be in a bad shape to ride them.”
 
“Then unni, you should drive and we’ll hand him over to you once we’ve cleared the street. The ones on bikes will provide as a distraction.” Amber suggested. “If there’s nothing more, let’s get going.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
A man with long braided hair that reached his waist pulled his arm back and punched the bounded man’s already bruised face. The ropes that tied his limbs to the chair were so tight, to the extent that Kibum could feel them going cold.
 
“Tell me where the b.tch is hiding and I’ll stop.” The man growled at Kibum but the latter refused answer. “She killed my brother and you’ll be dead too if you don’t tell me her whereabouts!”
 
“I told you,” Kibum replied tiredly. “How do you expect to tell you when I don’t even know where she is?”
 
“You f.cking liar! You were together at the airport, trying to flee the country and yet, you don’t know where she’ll be?” Kibum gasped and bent over in pain when the man punched his stomach. “Halt.” A deep voice spoke out from the shadows. “I said halt!” The voice became sharp when the man refused to obey.
 
“But otousan!”
 
“Quiet Ryo!” The middle aged man appeared under the light and walked towards them. “I approached the woman with a fair offer to work for me but she killed my son instead.”
 
“She will be responsible for what she’d done. I know you’re innocent and I would let you free once you tell me where she is.” Kibum scoffed. “With all due respect, I work for a yakuza too and I know very well that you won’t free any of your captives. Death is the only option.”
 
“Then you should also know the torture wouldn’t stop until you break or you succumbed to the injuries.” Yoshida held out his hand and a knife was placed on it.
 
“I know what you specialize in. Computers, am I right?” Kibum stared at him wearily. “So?”
 
“So, it means that your hands are the most valuable asset of your job, isn’t it?” Without any warning, Yoshida threw his entire weight down on the knife on Kibum’s right hand and the latter let out a chilling scream as he watched in pain and disbelief.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“We’re in the building. Cut the power.” Amber, Luna and Joon braced themselves for the blackout and their night vision goggles.
 
“Hey! Who turned off the lights? People are partying in here!!”
 
They pushed through the booing crowd on the dance floor as Krystal directed them towards the basement. “Careful, there are five men at the door.”
 
Luna threw the gas cans down the stairs and they proceeded through the smoke with their oxygen masks. They found unconscious bodies on the floor upon reaching the bottom of the stairs and relieved the men of their weapons. At the count of three, they broke through the door and the lights came back on.
 
Instantly, Luna and Joon opened fire and the men dropped dead one by one while Amber searched the room for Kibum but there was no one.
 
“Krystal, are you sure we got the right room?” Amber furrowed her eyebrows at them and looked around. “He’s not here.”
 
“His tracker shows him in the building. In the exact room that you’re in.”Amber stooped low when something on the ground reflected against the light. “They know.”
 
“What?” Luna stepped forward and pinched the object from her. Her frown disappeared as Luna turned to Joon while holding it up for him to see. “It’s Kibum’s.”
 
“Unni? They know what?” Amber picked up the piece of paper on the table and pursed her lips as she read the contents.
 
“They left Kibum’s tracker in the room. They knew we would come for him.” Her hand fell to her side when she heard the of a gun, and she turned around to find them cornered as a group of men stood by the door with their guns raised. “It’s a trap.”
 
“Drop your guns.” The man aimed his gun at Amber’s forehead. “Drop it.” He repeated.
 
Joon threw his gun away and raised his hands, and glanced at Amber who reluctantly followed suit and kicked it towards the man. “You.” The man aimed his gun at Luna and tightened the grip on his gun as she eyed him beadily before dropping it.
 
His men slowly approached the trio with their guns still raised and kicked the guns further away from the owners. They brought out ropes and a man went to grab Luna but she head butted him and killed him with his own gun. She eliminated as many men as she could while Joon and Amber fought off their own assailants.
 
Joon grabbed a chair and whipped it across the man’s head before snatching the fallen gun. “Sh.t.” He ducked when a man swung his fist at him. Joon shot the man’s thigh and kicked him over before he fired a bullet at his chest.
 
“Unni?” Krystal’s high pitched scream hurt her ears but ignored it as she swept the man off his feet. She kicked the man in the groin and flinched when she felt a spray of blood across her neck and face. She looked up and Luna quickly ushered her out of the room. “Watch your back. There won’t be anyone to help you with it the next time.” Amber smiled a little. “Thank—“
 
They ducked when a shot rang and Joon hurried them from behind. “Quick! I can’t hold them off any longer.” Amber glanced behind them and noticed the shadows dancing along the walls of the narrow staircase as more men gave chase.
 
They burst out of the back exit after hurrying down the long hallway and made way to their bikes. “Oppa? Amber unni? Say something!”
 
“Yeah.” Amber revved the bike and sped out of the alley with Joon and Luna following closely behind her. “Are you safe now?”
 
“No, we’re being chased. Amber, what’s the plan?” Luna said. Amber glanced behind and true enough, three SUVs were gaining speed on them. She watched in horror when one of the SUVs refused to slow down and ran into a woman who flew across the windshield and landed on the sidewalk, motionless.
 
“Victoria unni, hyung’s not there. We were led into a trap. Leave, we’ll be okay.” They weaved in and out of the traffic and Amber stared at the black Jeep waiting by the curb at the end of the street. “Are you sure?” Victoria asked worriedly and caught sight of them in her rear view mirror.
 
“Yes. Luna, Joon.” The approaching traffic lights changed from green to yellow but Amber didn’t pay heed and accelerated. “We’re not stopping. Ride straight ahead.”
 
They sped across the main road and cars honked them while flashing their lights. Though they got across safely, two out of the five cars that were chasing them did not. A car slammed into the driver side of one SUV while the other was sent flipping in the air when it collided with a truck.
 
“That was close!”Joon shouted while ducking as he swerved the bike out of the way when the men started shooting at them. “Yeah.”  The cars on the road became a blur at the speed they were traveling at and he ducked again. “Where to now?”
 
“Turn left at the next intersection.” Luna overtook Amber who was firing blindly behind her. It hit one of the car tires and sent the SUV spinning wildly onto the opposite lane, and she heard the sickening crash of metal as she accelerated to catch up with the others.
 
“Two to go.”Luna grinned and glanced behind her. “Nice one. Next is mine.” She slowed and waved them ahead before turning into a road. “I’ll take care of them.”
 
Luna revved her bike as she watched the two bikes speed pass and waited for the SUVs to appear before riding behind them. She aimed for the wheels and quickly swerved around the SUV as it crashed into a bus on the next lane. Luna accelerated and rode side by side with the remaining SUV while firing continuously at it before realizing it was bulletproof. “D.mn it.”
 
She widened her eyes when the window rolled down just enough to stick out, what appears to be a shotgun and she pulled back.
 
“Watch out, they have a shotgun with them. I’ve escape so I’ll meet you guys back at the base.” Joon glanced at his side mirror and watched as the SUV flashed its headlights and honked the car that was obstructing its way. “Any ideas, Joon?”
 
The driver of the SUV had grown impatient and rammed into the car multiple times until it strayed onto the next lane. “Here! Turn here. The lane’s too narrow for them to follow us.” They swerved into the alley but the SUV realized their plan and turned into the subsequent lane.
 
Amber looked over the wide monsoon drain that separated the two roads as the SUV chased them from the other side. Joon was following closely behind and he nearly ran into her when she braked abruptly and stared at the road opposite.
 
He swerved and turned the bike around and that’s when he saw the collision. The SUV was rammed at its side by the Jeep which caused it to crash into the road divider and fall into the drain. They watched the vehicle as it was swept away by the rushing waters before it sunk and disappeared.
 
“Amber, Joon. Are you okay?” They saw Victoria stepped out of the Jeep and walked over to the badly shaped metal divider. “Yeah, we’re fine.” He said as he turned to Amber who nodded numbly as she stares at the dark waters.
 
“I doubt they’ll make out of the SUV alive.” Amber tightened her grip on the handles and Victoria’s voice sounded distant to her as she was lost in her thoughts. 
 
Amber remembered her own experience when her car plunged into the river below the bridge. She managed to escape from the car but cramps set in and she struggled to reach the surface. She felt the pain in her chest as her lungs burned for oxygen but nothing came and she out.
 
“Amber?” She jolted at Joon’s touch and stared wildly at him. “Are you sure you’re okay?” His eyes searched hers but she looked away and ran a hand through her hair. “Yeah.” She mumbled. “I’m alright.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“I think Yoshida has a hacker working for him.”
 
“Huh?” Sulli stared at her sister.
 
“Don’t freak when I tell you guys this. Everyone has a tracker implanted in them.” Krystal watched as they instinctively patted their bodies. “How is it possible?” Joon asked incredulously. “I would have known if something was inserted in my body.”
 
“You wouldn’t if it was done when you were asleep and drugged.” She continued. “It was done as a precaution in case we’ve lost our earring trackers and also, if anyone had known and gotten rid of it. They would think all’s well once the tracker’s disposed of but they don’t know we still have other means of being tracked.”
 
“How come you, but none of us knew about this?” Amber reached up and fiddled with the earring. “I had to. It was part of my training with oppa. The fewer the people who know, the better it is.”
 
“Then what’s this got to do with Yoshida and a hacker?” Luna asked. “Well, I could locate oppa with the body tracker but the signal’s tampered. There must be a signal jammer around oppa and I’m constantly being diverted whenever I try to access Yoshida’s network.” Krystal tapped her nail on the table impatiently. “There’s definitely a hacker behind this.”
 
“So what do we do now?” Sulli let out a frustrated shout and bit edge of the cushion.
 
“Yoshida wouldn’t have Kibum held captive in easily accessible places. He would have him locked up in a secure location since he’s on high alert.” Victoria paused as she thought about it. “Yoshida has several residences in the city and a hand few vacation homes around the country. Have you tried tapping into their security systems?”
 
“I did but we’re not getting live imaging. It’s showing recordings from a month back which was definitely done deliberately.” Krystal sighed heavily and laid her head over the keyboard. “So we’re practically locked out of the castle.” The room fell silent and the only noise heard was the soft humming of the computers on the table.
 
“We should rest.” Victoria suddenly clapped her hands together and shooed them. “Staying up all night won’t help. We need the energy to continue the search.”
 
“But I won’t be able to sleep anyway.” Krystal reluctantly followed her sister into their room and Amber heard her mutter just before the door closed behind them.
 
“What if we can’t find him?”
 
 
~~
 
 
Amber crawled into bed and closed her eyes, sighing before reaching for her phone. “From Henry?” She muttered as she read the text message.
 
Call me when you want to talk. I’ll be waiting.  –Henry
 
She didn’t spare a second and immediately dialed his number. She raised her thumb to and bit her nails while waiting for the call to go through.
 
“Hello?”
 
Henry drowsily pushed himself up from bed and leaned back against the headboard while yawning. “Henry?”  He appeared more awake and sat straighter when he recognized the voice.
 
“Amber?” She drew her knees to her chest and rested her cheek on it. “Yeah, it’s me.” She cleared to hide the crack in her voice.
 
He looked around his dark room as he thought of what to say, but the awkward silence made it harder for him to think straight. “So, um.. are you back yet?”
 
“No. I’m still in Japan. Something came up at the last minute.” Amber lay on her side and pulled the comforter over her body. “Oh.”  She held the material tightly under her chin and stared into the dark. “I’m sorry.”
 
If it weren’t for the quietness of the early morning, he wouldn’t have heard her soft whisper over the phone. He ruffled his hair and ran a hand over his face, cupping his jaw at the end of it as he let out an inaudible sigh.
 
“I apologize too. About my reaction earlier.” He dropped his hand on his lap and looked down. “I wasn’t being fair to you.”
 
“Anyone would have freaked.” She said tiredly and held back a yawn. “I don’t blame you.”
 
Henry stood by the windows and scanned the empty street outside. “We have to talk.” He saw a cat curled up asleep on top of his neighbour’s car. “Yeah, we should.” He wanted to suggest her place but he held back.
 
“If you don’t mind, we can meet at my place.” Amber wasn’t sure why she said that but she wasn’t bothered by it as she anxiously waited for his reply.
 
“I’m fine with that.” Henry chuckled. We think alike. “So when do we meet?”
 
“About that,” Amber rubbed her eyes and yawned aloud when she couldn’t take it anymore. “I don’t know when I’ll be back.”
 
“Give me a call when you’re back then.” He heard her yawned again and glanced at his watch. “Go to sleep. We’ll talk another time.” He ended the call and looked out the window to find the cat had disappeared when he received a message.
 
Thank you for giving me a chance.  –Am
 
 
~~
 
 
“Wake up people!” Amber woke up to Krystal’s shouts and made her way to the living room where everyone was found half-awake.
 
“What did you find?”Luna yawned widely and rested her head on Joon’s shoulder. Amber watched him wrapped an arm around Luna and realized that she had been staring at them when she saw Joon’s raised eyebrow.
 
“I’ve tapped the hand devices of every one of Yoshida’s people and the computer alerted me of this conversation.” Everyone appeared more awake and sat on the edge of their seats as Krystal played the recording.
 
“Takeshi and his men are dead.”
 
“What? The ruthless Takeshi is dead? Hiro, is this a joke?”
 
“No. They found his SUV at the bottom of the monsoon drain. Now, stop testing my patience. Yoshida’s been biting my head off about this and he wants more men at the mansion.”
 
“Why? It’s not like they know where their friend is. I thought Yuusuke had the place jammed to prevent them from tracking him?”
 
“Don’t even mention him. That son of a b.tch thinks he’s god or something just because he’s the one who found the tracker and placed the entire place under electronic device lockdown. We can only use the landline but everyone’s using it and it’s never available.”
 
“Then how are you able to call me?”
 
“I left to take a puff at the stream below the mansion. I’m not supposed to but it beats waiting for the landline. Anyway, it’s bad idea ‘cuz I’m freezing my a.ss off here.”
 
“Tell me you’ve got something wonderful to tell us.” Victoria grinned.
 
“Yes.” Krystal smirked. “I traced the call and double checked the mansion that they were talking about, and there’s indeed more activity going on there compared to other Yoshida residences.  Oppa must be there.”
 
“It’s his vacation home in the north.” The satellite image of the mansion was projected on the blank wall and Krystal zoomed in on mansion.
 
“I’ll be able to guide you once you turn off the signal jammer and also, get me the live security recordings.” Krystal said. “Or else, you’ll be on your own.”
 
 
~~
 
 
“I’ve managed to get my hands on the blueprint of the mansion. Don’t ask me how I got it, that’s not important.” Krystal told Joon before he could even pose his question. “Who said I was gonna ask that..” He muttered and looked out at the snow covered forest.
 
“I’ll get you guys in by disabling the alarm system but it’s only for a short while, or else they’ll realize something’s wrong. It’ll be a thirty second clearance.” Sulli craned her neck from the front seat to take a look of the blueprint. “Then you have to navigate through the place on your own until you get me what I need.”
 
“Okay.” Amber exited the Jeep and looked down at the mansion from the hill opposite. “We’ll separate into two teams. One will search for the jammer while the other head for the security room.” She looked into the scope and adjusted the magnification as she scanned the compound.
 
“Once we get Kibum, I’ll set off the explosives. That would delay them until we get to the Jeep.” Victoria zipped up her leather jacket and double checked her items. “Also, remember to turn on your earpiece once the jammer’s off.” Krystal reminded.
 
The group left Krystal by the huge electrical box as they approached the mansion on foot through the forest behind it. Krystal had the torchlight between her teeth as she broke open the box and went through the wires, looking for the one she wanted and waited for the signal.
 
Krystal pulled the wire when she saw the laser beam and quickly checked the time on their synced watches.  “10…5..3..2..1.” She muttered and re-inserted the wire.
 
Soon enough and with sheer luck, they managed to locate the jammer and reset the security cameras and were on their way to find Kibum. “How many did you have to finish off?” Joon asked Victoria as she stuck an explosive on the underside of a table. “Three men.”
 
“Oppa’s tracker shows him in the basement.”Amber clamped the man’s mouth from behind and twisted his neck before he could react and dragged the body into a room. “Find me the hacker. I want to finish him off first before he could cause anymore problems for us.”
 
“I’ve already found him.”
 
“Where is he, Luna?” Amber hit another man across his head and caught his body as he fell and hid him from view. “There’s no need to. I’ve killed him. I’ll meet you at the basement.”
 
 
~~
 
 
“Stop. Stop.” Kibum whimpered. His toes were so badly disfigured from the continuous smashing by the hammer that nothing moves when he tried wiggling them. “I don’t know anything!”  He yelled in anguish.
 
“Yes, you do. You’re just a tough nut to crack.” Yoshida releases his anger and frustration by throwing down the hammer on Kibum’s bloodied feet again and again until he was satisfied. It posed no difference to Kibum since he could no longer feel anything on his left feet. “Matsuka did a marvelous training on his men.”
 
Kibum’s eyes flickered over to his missing fingers on his right hand and silently stared. It was worth it. He felt the tears forming in his eyes and he blinked them away. It was. He repeated to himself mentally and gasped. I would rather die than let them get to the others. Kibum sniffed and lifted his head tiredly. It was worth it.
 
“Crying now, are we?” Yoshida threw his head back and laughed. “Do you want to run home to mommy? I can arrange for you to return home to your mommy. In a casket.” He kicked the chair and Kibum fell back and knocked his head on the floor which sent him into a dizzier state. Yoshida stopped laughing when something slammed against the metal door and gunshots were heard.
 
There was a small explosion behind the door before three masked people burst into the room and started gunning down the men. Yoshida’s remaining men formed a human wall between him and the attackers as they ushered him out of the room.
 
Yoshida gasped when he saw dead bodies strewn around the living room and the two women turned their attention to him. His men stepped forward to protect him while two stayed behind and led him to the garage.
 
“You go after him. I’ll take care this.” Amber nodded and Luna watched her as she fought her way through the throng of men before running after Yoshida.
 
Luna smirked and drew out her twin daggers when she realized the men had no guns with them and she was feeling adventurous. She ran towards them and ducked as she approached the men on the front line and slashed their knees.  She danced out of their grasps and kicked an advancing man in the groin before turning around with the dagger held above her waist as a man ran into her.
 
She shoved the man away while pulling out her dagger and stabbed the leg of another as she spun around, sweeping the man behind him off his feet. Luna stood up and looked at the last man standing in the room who stared at her fearfully.
 
“Please don’t kill me.” He immediately got on his knees when he saw her bring out her gun. “Please, please! I don’t want to die.” He begged her and she cocked her head.
 
“You sound awfully familiar. What’s your name?” Luna walked towards him and he shivered at their close distance. “H-Hiro.”
 
Ah. So you’re the ignorant guy on the phone that led us here.” Luna grinned knowingly as he looked at her in confusion. “W-What are you t-t-talking about? I’ve never met you before.”
 
“No worries. Well, on behalf of the others, I would like to thank you.” She pulled the trigger and he fell on the ground with a bullet through the head.
 
 
~~
 
 
Amber reached the garage to find Yoshida shoving his men at her direction before he got into the car and sped out of the garage, selfishly leaving his men behind. The two men attacked her but she simply caught hold one of them, popped his shoulder and pushed him towards the other man before running after the car.
 
“Krystal, have the place on lockdown! Yoshida’s trying to escape! ” Amber reloaded her gun and threw the empty mag away just as the car exploded into a ball of flames and she was knocked off her feet by the shock wave.
 
“Amber, are you alright?” Victoria came rushing to her and helped her up as they both watched the car engulfed in flames. “I had explosives in every car. I knew this would happen.” She said when Amber looked to her for an explanation. “How’s hyung?”
 
Amber’s inside churned when she saw Victoria’s grim expression and quickly ran back to the mansion. She dashed into the room where he was held captive and stared at Kibum as she approached him in disbelief.
 
There he was, leaning against the fallen chair with his head on Sulli’s shoulder as pale as a corpse and he smiled tiredly when he saw her. “Amber.” Kibum breathed and broke into a coughing fit. Her attention turned to the hand he used to thump his chest and she gasped.
 
“They c—your hand.. h-hyung..” She became more horrified as she looked further down at his feet. “What did they do to you?” Amber cried out in anger. “How could they do this!”
 
“At least I’m still alive, no?” Kibum said weakly. “It’s just fingers.” He joked. “It’s not funny!” Sulli shouted in his ear and he winced. “Fine, all joking aside.” The twinkle in his eyes disappeared as he faced them seriously.
 
“You guys mean far more to me than losing a few fingers. Of course, I’m upset but as long as you’re safe, that’s all it matters.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Henry stood outside her house, staring at the security screen like an idiot as it rejected the security code he had entered for the second time. “Did she change it?” He reentered the code and this time, the screen blinked green and he heard the lock slide back. “What’s this? The door’s trolling me?”
 
He closed the gates behind him while looking around and something in the corner of eyes caught his attention.
 
“Amber?” He called out as he approached the swing where she was asleep with a thick throw wrapped around her body as her sketchbook lay open on her lap. Henry gently pulled it out of her grasp and turned it around to face him.
 
It was a lead drawing of a chibi character dressed in a hamster outfit with round full cheeks. “What’s taking him so long?” He read her scribbles, chuckling softly and reached for her. “Amber. Wake up, I’m here.”
 
He frowned when she didn’t respond and patted her cheeks which felt toasty. “We’d better get you inside.” He said after feeling her unnaturally warm forehead and carried her into the house. Henry quickly settled her in bed and turned up the heat before searching more blankets to pile over her.
 
Henry placed the fourth and last layer over her and sat on the edge of the bed, going through her sketchbook. He smiled at the rough sketch of him playing the violin like a guitar and flipped to the next page.
 
It was a drawing of a girl sitting on the perch inside a bird cage as she stares outside with a forlorn expression. He didn’t know why but he felt sorry for the girl even though it was only a drawing.
 
 “Henry?” She squinted as he leaned over to feel her forehead. “How are you feeling?”
 
“Tired and cold.” Amber groaned and rolled further to the center of the bed. Her eyes snapped open when he pulled the covers and lay next to her. “What are you doing?”
 
“Providing warmth.” Henry wrapped an arm around her and she pressed her face in the crook of his neck, snuggling closer to him. “Better now?” He heard her sleepy yet content sigh and rested his cheek on top of her head. He smiled at how she fits perfectly in his arms before he closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.
 
 
~~
 
 
“Are you awake?”
 
Amber listened to the rumble of his voice with her eyes closed and sighed. He asked again when she didn’t answer and this time, she nodded. “Let’s talk.” He pulled away and leaned against the bed board.
 
She sat up and glanced at him hesitantly.
 
“Do you remember what I told you before, about me working off the records?” Amber hugged her legs and rested her chin on her knees. “Also, you must have heard of Matsuka’s involvement with underworld.”
 
“Are you saying that you work for a yakuza?”
 
“I’m the person in charge of his safety and am also Matsuka’s personal bodyguard.”
 
Henry refused to look at her and instead, focused on the weather outside the window. “Have you ever.. killed anyone?” He whispered. “It’s my responsibility to protect Matsuka from any harm.” She answered curtly.
 
“That doesn’t answer my question.”
 
Amber looked at him from the corner of her eyes and her dry lips. “Sometimes, knowing the truth isn’t always the best.” She muttered. His chest tightens at her words and it sent his heart racing, but for the wrong reasons.
 
Henry was speechless. It wasn’t a blatant answer but that’s all that he has to know. He pulled away the covers and ran a hand through his hair as he walked to the window. Why? He briefly pinched the space between his eyes before turning around to face the bed. “Why?”
 
“Why must you work for Matsuka?” Henry’s voice rose with each step he took towards the bed. “You don’t have to be a scientist to know what he does is illegal. Why did you run head first into this? Didn’t you take a look, a clear look of what you’re getting yourself into?” He stopped at the end of the bed. “Why?!”
 
Amber ignored his hard gaze and played with the frayed ends of her shirt. “Gratitude.”
 
“What?”
 
“Gratitude.” She looked at him blankly. “Hard to believe, but that’s the reason why I stayed.”
 
“No one has ever looked me in the eye and treated me equally. Everyone’s faces would turn into sympathy when they realized that I’m an orphan and wrinkle their noses in disgust when it’s known that I hang around with the wrong crowd.” 
 
“I was depressed and hated my existence, especially during the period when I was left to die by the gang that I was supposedly ‘accepted’ into.” She said as her fingers danced on her shin as if she was playing a piano. “Matsuka is my benefactor.”
 
“He gave me another chance in life. I had nothing to lose. My parents were dead, I have no other family. Maybe there are,” She shrugged. “But who would come forward and bring me into their perfect lives? I would only ruin it.”
 
“And so you think that by following Matsuka, all your problems and insecurities will be solved?” Henry asked quietly. “Yes, I do.” She stared at him. “I had the chance to start my life anew. I knew what I was getting myself into when I took up his offer, but like I said. I had nothing to lose.”
 
“I do what I’m told to do. There’s nothing more to that. It’s my job.” Amber closed the distance between them and sat at the edge of the bed.  “Now you understand why I never talk about the life I live after my parents’ death.”
 
“I can understand if you never want to see me again. At least, you gave me the chance to explain myself. I’m grateful for that.” She smiled softly and he suddenly chuckled.
 
“I can’t believe I was dating a girl from the yakuza all these while.” She tried to read his face but couldn’t make out his expression. “Henry.” He heard the quiet call of his name but he refused to look her.
 
“I received a call from Kibum the other.” Amber furrowed her eyebrows, unaware of such activity. “Hyung? He called you?” He nodded and that’s when she remembered the recording that Krystal was talking about but she never got the chance to listen. “What did he say?”
 
“Long story short, he told me to appreciate what I have right now and not regret it later.” Henry walked to the window and crossed his arms as he looked outside. “I don’t like the idea of you working for yakuza, but that is who you are,” He turned around and leaned against the wall, finally looking at her in the eye. “I can’t change that fact.” Amber pursed her lips.
 
She walked towards him and whispered. “So what are we now?”
 
She looked down and Henry followed her gaze as she reached for his hand hesitantly, afraid that he would pull away but he didn’t. He felt his heart beat faster at her smile and he responded the gesture by lacing his fingers through hers.
 
She took a deep breath before looking at him and gently ran her thumb across the back of his hand. “Why don’t we just go with the flow? We—I..” Amber hesitated and he gently squeezed her hand, prompting her to continue. “What?”
 
“There’s no point hiding the fact that things would be weird between us now.” She said. Henry remained silent because they both know it’s true.
 
“Have a little faith in us, Amber. I know it contradicts my behavior the other day, but what Kibum said had me thinking, was the break up worth it?” Henry reached for her other hand and held them together in his. “I fell for the person you are, and not what you do for a living. We should at least make an effort to make us work even though we’re different.” He swept her hair back and cupped her face. “Do you agree?” He caressed her cheek with his thumb and smiled.
 
His smile was met with a wider one as she threw her arms around his neck. “Agreed.” He heard her say and hugged her closer to him while pressing his nose in her shoulder.
 
“I’m sorry.” Amber mumbled.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Yah!” Nichkhun shouted at the man as he pushed his way through the crowded streets. “Please move out of the way! Move!” He irritably shouted. “Someone stop that thief!”
 
The man that he was chasing turned around and smirked at the police officer who was stuck in the crowd when he suddenly tripped. Nichkhun rushed out of the crowd and chuckled when he saw the suspect squirming on the ground as an elder woman hits him continuously with her walking stick. “You useless young man! What has the society become of? Did your parents teach you to steal from people?”
 
“Halmoni. I’m a police officer,” Nichkhun flashed his ID at her and grabbed the suspect roughly. “I’ll take it from here. Let’s go punk.”
 
“I got him. Meet me at the curb.” Nichkhun forced the cuffs on the man and he looked up when the man chuckled. “What are you laughing at?” Nichkhun growled.
 
“I’m laughing at the stupidity of your entire department and the police force.” The man smirked at Nichkhun, who held back from punching him for the insult. “Why are you chasing after a petty case like mine when you have a bigger rat to catch?”
 
“I don’t know what the crap you’re talking so just shut up and save it for the statement.” He looked away but the man continued talking. “Of course you wouldn’t know what I’m talking about. You’re all blind. You have a traitor right under your nose but no one knows.” Nichkhun glanced at him and prayed for his partner to arrive soon before he does anything that would tarnish his officer record.
 
“You don’t believe me, do you?”
 
“Of course not.”
 
“What if I tell you that the reason Matsuka’s never been prosecuted for his doings was because of this traitor?” Nichkhun whipped his head around and the man smirked. “Ah, I see that I’ve gotten your attention.”
 
“What are you talking about?” Nichkhun narrowed his eyes. “How do I know you’re not lying?”
 
“You don’t.” The man chuckled. “What does it feel like to know that you’re being manipulated and justice is never served?” He watched Nichkhun clenched his jaw and sighed pretentiously. “Seems like I’m the only person who knows the traitor’s real identity, though I wouldn’t mind giving you a tip. Someone in your department occasionally meets up with a woman from Matsuka’s side.”
 
“That doesn’t mean they’re in cahoots or anything.” Nichkhun said.
 
“Oh really?” The man raised his eyebrow and smiled when he saw the police car stopping by the curb. “I suppose it’s perfectly normal, for someone from the yakuza to meet up with a police officer and that every case concerning Matsuka remains open with no concrete evidences to arrest him.”
 
“Why are you telling me this? What’s in it for you?”
 
“Nothing. I just like causing troubles.” The man grinned and Nichkhun’s partner shoved him into the back seat. “By the way, this is off the record.”
 
“No! You must have this recorded in your statement!”
 
“Nope. You can’t force me.” The man shrugged his shoulders. “But I have an advice for you.”
 
 
“You can’t trust anyone.”