Chapter 32

Zero Gravity
Luna entered her room and closed the door behind her gently. There was no emotion behind her gaze as she ran her eyes across her room until a lone object on her bed caught her attention. Taped to the box was a torn piece of paper with her name scribbled across it.
 
She peeled the paper and turned it over.
 
 
This was meant to be a gift for you when we get together. But seeing how things didn’t turn out, I thought you should still have this. After all, it serves no purpose to me and it was meant for you.  – Kibum
 
 
Luna opened the box and peered inside. Her brows furrowed together and her nose began to sting. She lifted the necklace by its white gold chain and watched the pendant swing in the air.
 
“Will you get me this?” Luna pointed at the jewellery store’s window display in the airport terminal. “It’s so pretty.” She looked at it in awe. It was a yellow diamond necklace pendant in the shape of a crescent moon with an intricate tiny doll laced with smaller diamonds sitting on the tail of it.
 
It was the necklace that she had asked from Joon. Luna wiped the stray tear from her cheek and searched the box for anymore notes that Kibum might have left behind. Her earlier calm demeanour was shattered by breathless sobs and her heart wretched in pain on what she had done.
 
Luna pulled the car into a parking space a few cars behind and watched Amber search her surroundings. She stepped out of her car with her eyes still on Amber as the latter made her way across the street towards the café.
 
Luna quickened her footsteps towards Amber’s car and pulled the device out of her pocket and slapped it on the underside of the car before turning on the switch. She got to her feet and pulled her cap lower to shield her face.
 
She immediately looked down when she noticed him walking her way. If she was terrified at the fact of being nearly exposed, she was horrified to see Kibum entering Amber’s car.
 
Luna’s feet stood rooted to the ground as she watched the car drove away. When her senses finally returned to her, it was already too late.
 
Kibum had made a turn, heading towards the café when the mercury bomb ripped through the car.
 
“You weren’t supposed to be there.” Luna cried. “Amber should be the one in the car, not you.”
 
“Lee Changsun! You hurt me and I’ll hurt whatever you hold dear.” Luna screamed in frustration. “If all you ever lived for is her, the end of Amber will be the end for you too.”
Luna the pendant as she looked around the simple bedroom. Her only belongings in this strange place were her clothes in the closet.
 
She had nothing here that is worth holding her back.
 
Luna was never the one to settle down. She was constantly moving from places to places before BoA had approached her. Luna trusts no one. She believes that trusting herself is the only way to survive.
 
However, she finally learned to trust others but it turned out to be a mistake. She didn’t know what made her believe that Joon was the change that she needed. She didn’t know what aspect of him captivated her.
 
She was blinded by what she made herself believed in and ignored the man that truly appreciated her.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Where is she?” Victoria closed the front door behind her.
 
“In her room.” Henry answered. “She hasn’t been out since we returned from the police station.”  She nodded and headed towards the bedroom when he stopped her. “Do you have any idea what happened?” He paused.
 
“I don’t know. Krystal is running through the street cameras as we speak.” She patted his arm. “We’ll know soon.”
 
Victoria peered inside the dark bedroom, which had grown chilly from the open window where she found Amber sitting behind the billowing curtains with her legs dangling by the window ledge. She joined her by the window seat and pulled her legs towards her chest. “What are you thinking?”
 
“It’s a beautiful garden.” Her eyes were fixed on the garden below them.
 
“I guess it’s more beautiful in the spring.” Her hands tightened around the wooden ledge and Amber closed her eyes, taking in the distant noise of traffic. “Too bad he won’t be able to see it.” Victoria looked away.
 
She rolled her eyes to the ceiling and kept her breathing even. She willed herself not to break down and it was proving painful for her to suppress her emotions as she trembled. “Victoria.” The older woman bit her lips and refused to look at her.
 
“Just let it out.” Amber whispered. She gently brought her into her arms and laid her chin at the top of her head. “It’s okay to cry.” Amber patted her back comfortingly while Victoria wailed in her chest. They stayed like that until she had no more tears to cry and Victoria let out a sudden chuckle.
 
“I came here to comfort you but the roles seemed to have changed.” A small grin appeared over her lips and Amber returned it with a smile. “The police said they’ll let us know of the cause of the accident soon. Accidents happen at random. Maybe it’s just his time.”
 
Victoria looked down at her buzzing phone and read the caller ID. “I’ve to take this call.” Amber nodded for her to go and Victoria left the room in large strides.
 
Amber didn’t mention that right before Victoria entered her room, she experienced a flash of memory.
 
Amber saw herself sitting in the middle of the garden, having dinner with her family. The garden was a beautiful sight as the bushes were peppered with fairy lights, which created a warm, cosy atmosphere.
 
She saw Sulli questioning the group but she couldn’t hear as the latter’s lips moved silently. Sulli’s question was answered by a man whose face she had seen among the photos taped on the wall in her room.
 
Amber stared at the photo of her and Kibum and the unknown man and took it off the wall.
 
“Remember his face.” Kibum told her as she studied the photo before handing back his phone. “If you see him, run.”
 
“What’s going on?” She muttered. “We seem to be friends in this photo. But why did they say he’s a stalker?”
 
“Lee Joon, who are you?”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
As Henry waited for her to finish the call, he could tell that bad news was on their way when Victoria’s expression grew darker by the minute as she listened in silence.
 
“They found Luna in the street cameras.” Victoria turned to him. “She must have attached a bomb under the car.” A vein appeared for a mere second before disappearing from her clenched jaw.
 
“What is her motive?” Henry asked. “If you said Luna does Joon’s bidding, this accident doesn’t make any sense.”
 
“Why would he have a bomb planted on her car? It doesn’t make sense. He wouldn’t want her dead.” The more Henry pondered over it, the more it contributes to his growing headache. “Henry, I’ll see you later. There’s someone I have to meet.” Victoria patted his arm and rushed to the door.
 
“Where is she!” Victoria shouted the moment she stepped inside the mansion. Krystal was surprised by her temper and quickly stood out of her way as the elder headed for the stairs. “Unni! Luna had already left.”
 
“And you didn’t stop her?” Victoria hissed. “No! She left before I found her in the street cams.” Krystal defended. “How could I let her leave if I had known what she had done.”
 
Victoria stormed into Luna’s room and found that she had packed her things and left. She glanced around her and approached the vanity table where a piece of paper laid atop it. She unfolded the paper impatiently, almost tearing it in the process.
 
I’m sorry.
 
I’ve done things that have hurt you all in many ways. Hong Daeho, Nichkhun, the Hong Kong triad. It’s all Joon’s doing. You are all merely pawns in his game of vengeance for the death of his family. Matsuka killed his parents and his brother died in the hands of Henry.
 
Joon caused the mess in Hong Kong. He knew Matsuka’s influence in the Hong Kong underground scene was his strongest and is the second most lucrative after Tokyo. Breaking up the power of influence will be a setback for Matsuka.
 
Amber has nothing to do with Nichkhun’s death because I was the one who killed him. Joon was aware of the arrangement between Amber and Matsuka and exploited it to crumble your relationship. In regards of the suspicion of him targeting Matsuka, he devised a plan to dispel any suspicion. I was the person who shot Matsuka in the basement and the disguise worked until Kibum figured out Joon’s plan.
 
Please do not find me. I’m no longer with Joon. I know my apology is useless but I want you to know that I’ll never have a peace of heart.
 
“Sh.it.” Victoria whipped out her phone and waited for the speed dial to go through. “Sulli, are you at the office right now?” She nodded and shoved the paper into her bag. “Stay where you are. I’m coming to you.”
 
“There’s a problem.”
 
~~
 
 
“Why did you call for this meeting?” Sulli glanced around the table where a handful of them had gathered: Sungjae, Yunho, Krystal and Victoria.
 
“The enemy that we’re now dealing with is Lee Joon.” Victoria stated.
 
“Unni, what are you talking about? Joon oppa.. it’s impossible.” Sulli shook her head at the bold statement. The two men who were outsiders viewed the issue in a subjective manner. “What made you conclude that Lee Joon-sshi is a threat?” Yunho asked coolly.
 
Victoria set the recording device on the table and played its content for them to hear. A mixture of surprise and shock registered among those present before it gradually changed to anger.
 
“Luna who was his accomplice, left behind a letter.” Victoria passed the letter to the person seated beside her. “She confessed what has been done and what is to come.”
 
“Unni, I don’t follow you.” Krystal furrowed her eyebrows as she scans the letter. “The letter says nothing about what’s there to come.”
 
“No. She has already given us a huge hint.” Victoria said. “’He knew Matsuka’s influence in the Hong Kong underground scene was his strongest and is the second lucrative after Tokyo’.” She quoted the sentence off the top of her head.
 
“His next target is Tokyo. I’m sure of it.”
 
“What do you intend to do?” Sungjae turned his attention to Sulli, who was silent during the discussion. “Has he got anything to do with the bomb on Amber unni’s car?” She asked quietly. “I don’t think so.” Krystal answered. “Even if he did, it wouldn’t have made any sense.”
 
Her lips stretched into a thin line and she clenched her jaw. Sulli stared at the letter with eyes that could burn a hole in the ground and crumpled it. “Yunho-sshi.”
 
“Issue an arrest warrant for Lee Joon and place him on the immigration blacklist. Take the recording file as evidence for his confession on murdering Hong Daeho.”
 
“But wouldn’t it be problematic to have him in police custody? The police investigation could lead back to Matsuka.” Sungjae countered.
 
“We’ll worry about extracting him later.” Sulli’s vexed expression silenced him from further questioning of her decision. “Right now, I want him to be found. Since he’ll be working on his, there’s only so much he can do to cover his tracks.”
 
“I’ll follow your orders.” Yunho bowed upon receiving her dismissal and left the room. At the elevators, he took out his phone and pressed it to his ear. “Did you listen to the meeting?”
 
“Yes.” Yunho stepped inside the elevator. “How shall I proceed?”
 
“We can’t disobey her orders, can we?” The elevator doors opened at the building’s basement and Yunho headed for his car. “So I’ll follow her orders? It will be difficult for you to move about. Maybe you should postpone your plans for the time being.”
 
“The plans are in place and there’s no reason for me to step back. I have you. What obstacles will I face?” The pedestrian sign lighted up and Joon crossed the road along with the crowd that were just let off from work. “I will contact you in due time, Yunho-sshi.” He pulled the scarf tighter around his neck as he ended the call with the policeman.
 
“Sulli-yah.” A cloud of hot breath escaped his lips as he cooed. “Oppa is not working alone.” Joon smirked and his eyes darkened as he kept his sight on the woman walking ahead in the crowd.
 
Luna looked behind her shoulder and tightened her grip on the bag strap. She dashed down the steps of the nearest subway station and pushed her way through the crowd, earning her annoyed glances and nasty swears.
 
She pulled her cap lower over her ducked head and jumped into the train, forcing herself into the corner of the car. Luna breathed a sigh of relief after the train pulled out of the station. “Hello, Luna.”
 
She froze at the familiar voice at her ear. She felt him pressed his body closer to hers as their bodies sway along with the packed train. “Why did you leave without a goodbye?” Joon’s voice sent chills down her spine and her body did an involuntary shudder.
 
“What do you want?” Luna did her best to keep her fear out of her voice. She tried to inch away but he wrapped an arm around her, keeping her in his embrace. “You placed the bomb on Amber’s car.” Joon muttered and yanked her to him just as the train jolted over a connecting rail.
 
“Why?” A hiss escaped his smiling lips and his other arm s around her waist. If anyone were to look over, it was a sweet sight to behold. People would have assumed that the man was protecting his girlfriend from the packed train car. Joon caught an elderly woman staring and he smiled, followed with a nod.
 
“An eye for an eye. You hurt me and I’ll hurt whatever you hold dear.” Luna’s attempt to yank his arm away proved futile. Joon merely tightened his grasp and rested his chin on her shoulder. “I see.”
 
“But I’ll let you go since she didn’t perish in your little stunt.” Joon nuzzled her neck. “I’m glad he did though.” Luna bit her lips at the mention of her grave mistake. “He was the man who truly cared for you and yet he died by your hands.”
 
The scene of him wiping away her tears may have seen as considerate by others but it nothing but a patronizing gesture.
 
“I guess your letter saved me the trouble of explaining my cause to the others.” Joon pecked her cheek and straightened his body as the next station came into view. Luna was allowed to breathe normally once he had left her side and she turned around to find him.
 
Luna stared as the doors closed between them. Joon held up his hand and made a short wave with a smirk on his lips as the train headed for its next direction.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Sungjae looked up from his work and glanced around the dark office, his attention focused on the only light in the place other than his desk.
 
Sulli set down the telephone handle upon ending her hour long conversation with Miyamoto Seiji regarding the possible threat imposed by Joon. He remained dubious about the matter but nevertheless agreed on stopping Joon as their main priority. 
 
She rested her head on the table and closed her eyes, her shoulders slumped from exhaustion. Sulli was still struggling to accept of what has become of Joon. Even if vengeance for his family outweighs his friendship with us, doesn’t he have the slightest compassion for those who have been living with him?
 
“Sulli-sshi.” She raised her heavy head and a tired smile appeared over her lips. “Aren’t you supposed to be off work?”
 
“How can I when you’re still working too?” Sungjae said. He was about to speak when he hesitated and it didn’t go unnoticed by her. “Is there something wrong?”
 
“No.” He shook his head furiously and clasped his hands tighter. “I was wondering if you’d like to have dinner together.”
 
 
~~
 
 
“Were you close with Kibum and Joon-sshi?” Sungjae watched her down a shot of soju and she squeezed her eyes as the alcohol went down . They were at a street stall not far from the company building and he was still debating whether it was a wise decision to be here with the winter chill seeping through the tent openings.
 
“I’ve known Kibum oppa since I was 18. It’s been 4 years.” Sulli waited for him to fill her glass before taking another shot. “While it’s only been a year with Joon.” Her knuckles turned white from gripping her glass tightly and she slammed it on the table, earning a few stares from other patrons.
 
“He will pay for what he had done to oppa and Nichkhun. I will catch him.” Sungjae nodded at her words and froze when his eyes flickered over to the man who had come up behind her. “Not until I’m done with Matsuka.”
 
Sulli whipped around in surprise before her expression became dark and her eyes burned with anger. “You son of a b.tch!” Joon stepped back when she lunged for him but Sungjae held her back swiftly. “Let go of me!” She screamed and struggled to regain her pinned arms.
 
“To set the record straight, I didn’t kill Kibum.” Joon said in a voice meant only for them to hear. “And if you don’t want anyone else to get hurt, leave your post. Matsuka is not worth protecting.”
 
“Sungjae, let go!” Sulli kicked his shin but he resisted the pain and tightened his hold on her. “We can’t do anything rash here. People are watching.” He whispered urgently at her ear.
 
“The boy is right.” Joon smiled in a patronizing manner which only made her blood boil. “I only came to give you a heads up.”
 
“I won’t stop until Matsuka loses everything,” Joon bent forward until he was on the same eye level. “Including his pathetic life.” Sulli stopped fighting and they shared a long gaze.
 
“I will not stop.” Joon repeated.
 
In that short moment, Sulli noticed that his hardened gaze had faltered and he looked at her with sad eyes. “I have to end what my brother started.”
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Henry carefully followed the footprints that she had left behind on the sand. He raised his head and his eyes trailed along her figure, momentarily squinting as her head basked in the setting sun's glow. 
 
They were at the beach by his family’s vacation home after Amber had asked him to bring her away from the city. It’s been more than a day since she was holed up in her room, refusing to come out for food and Henry wondered if she had fainted from hunger when he found her at his side. “Will you take me elsewhere?”
 
Henry strolled behind her with his hands in his jeans pocket and closed his eyes. He listened to the sound of crashing waves with a smile on his face and almost fell back into the crashing waves if she hadn't caught hold of his arm.
 
"I'm sorry." Amber apologized for her sudden stop in her tracks. "It's alright." Henry felt a slight disappointment when she let go of his arm as she turned around and continued her walk along the beach. His strides matched hers and their hands bumped against each other.
 
Watching from afar was a displeased man with his lips stretched into a thin line and his hands balled into fists. Joon had followed them from her home. He didn’t know why he had himself into the agony of watching the couple.
 
But he willed himself to be patient. There will be a time when Amber will be left alone for him to approach her. Joon took a last look and turned around with a pocket knife in his hand. He approached Henry’s car along the way to his own. Joon stabbed the tires of Henry’s car in frustration, pounding it relentlessly until he felt the anger dissipate.
 
"I wanted to ask you something." Amber said.
 
"Who is Joon exactly?" Henry paused in his footsteps and Amber looked on expectantly. "I know that we knew each other personally but why did you brand him as a stalker?"
 
"I didn't know him on a personal level but he was a family friend of yours." He said curtly. "There was a fallout and you just naturally drifted apart. I guess he couldn’t bear being apart from you."
 
"I didn't like him much and the feeling is mutual."
 
"Why?"
 
"He's interested in you and I’m being in the way." Henry chuckled. "Not our biggest fan."
 
"I didn't know I was such a popular choice." Amber joked. 
 
He glanced at his watch and offered his hand, making a change in topic. "We should get dinner. You didn’t have anything before we left Seoul." Amber slipped her hand into his and made their way to the car.
 
Upon reaching the car, they found two flat tires. Henry looked around suspiciously and quickly led her towards the cottage. "Not quite the most original place to hide your keys." Amber commented as he reached for the keys above the door.
 
"The company driver will be here to get us. So in the meantime, let's see what there's to eat."
 
~~
 
"The noodles are ready." He peeled the foil lid away and flinched at the steam in his face. "What are you doing in the kitchen?" Henry yelled from the living room and blew at the noodles to cool it down.
 
"Look what I found." Amber approached in a singsong voice and plunk down on the floor beside him with a green bottle in her hand. 
 
"You go ahead. I'm fine with my glass of water." Henry watched her from the corner of his eye as she took a first shot of soju. "Your noodles are gonna get soggy."
 
"Come on, drink with me." He almost spilled the rice wine when she shoved it into his hands. He was about to protest but held back as she went near him and blinked innocently. "Just a glass."
 
"I knew that innocent look would work on you." Amber laughed at his painful expression after downing the alcohol and he looked at her through one eye. "You're anything but innocent." 
 
What started out as a glass to pacify her became multiple as he merely accepted what was given to him. Amber watched in amusement at the sight of him struggling to stay awake while she downed her fifth shot. "You at drinking."
 
Henry placed his arm on the couch and it slipped off the edge before he could rest his heavy head. He giggled as he attempted again and sighed in content when he succeeded. "It's your fault."
 
He watched her silently for a moment before pressing his lips on her cheek. She held her breath when he pulled her closer and he hesitated, their noses bumping against each other. Amber was highly aware of her tingling senses and the butterflies were hitting the wall of her stomach when Henry leaned in closer.
 
She pulled away soon after their lips touched but he held her in place and deepened the kiss. This was a new feeling to her but yet at the same time it was something familiar as she naturally ran a hand over his chest, resting her wrists behind his neck.
 
They pulled apart awhile later but their foreheads remained touching, like they might go in a second time. The corner of her lips lifted into a shy smile and he merely grin.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Joon approached the airline check-in counter and handed his passport over to the personnel. “Any luggage, sir?” He smiled good-naturedly and shook his head.
 
The female personnel completed his relevant details and kept her composure when the passenger was highlighted to be on the blacklist. “Is there a problem?” She retained her smile. “There’s a slight issue. Please hold on.” Joon watched the manager make her way over to the counter and he checked his phone.
 
Yunho’s phone lighted with a short message and he cast a quick glance at the caller ID. “Almost there.” Yunho muttered under his breath. He cleared Joon from the blacklist and erased his log entry from the database.
 
Sorry for the delay. It’s done. A smile grazed Joon’s lips. “I’m sorry to keep you waiting, sir. Here is your boarding pass.”
 
“Unni, something’s wrong. Joon has been issued his boarding pass and he was taken off the blacklist a few minutes ago.” Krystal’s eyes flickered over the dozen of camera feeds, following his every move from the hotel penthouse in one of the many hotels controlled by Matsuka in Tokyo.
 
“Does he have someone working for him on the inside?” Sungjae voiced the troubling question that was on Sulli’s mind. “Yunho is a high possibility.” Sulli turned her attention to him and he continued. “He’s the one who has access to such records.”
 
“Get Yunho on the line.”
 
Krystal pursed her lips and her eyebrows furrowed together as she redialled his number, only to receive the same message. “His number is out of service.” She muttered and turned to the others.
 
The muscle in her jaw twitched and Sulli took a deep breath to calm herself, just as Victoria laid her hand over her shoulder. “Take it easy. What would you do if you were Amber?”
 
“I don’t know.” Sulli scrunched her nose and squeezed her eyes. “Unni would know what to do in this situation.” She cried. Victoria got down to her level and wrapped her arm around her.
 
“I can’t do this. Unni is far better suited than me. Things have spiralled out of control while under my supervision.” Sungjae knelt beside her and took her hand in his, patting it comfortingly.
 
“You can do it.” Victoria rubbed her back. “Amber has trained you to be ready in times like this if she was unable to resume her position.” Sulli hurriedly dried her cheeks and took a deep breath. “Sometimes, things don’t go the way you want it to and you’ve to learn to deal around it.”
 
“It comes with practice. Amber wasn’t perfect when she first took this post but she learnt to cope with the stress and unpredictability. It’s not your fault.” Sulli nodded and offered her a weak smile.
 
“What’s the flight’s arrival time?” Sulli dusted the bottom of her pants and appeared by Krystal’s side. “At 6pm.”
 
A few hours later, the four of them were scattered around the busy arrival hall, keeping their eyes out for Joon. Krystal moved the lollipop around with the flick of her tongue and raised her arms in a stretch. “What’s taking him so long?” She dropped her arms and knocked into someone behind her. “Gomen'nasai.” Her voice trailed off when her eyes fell on the man who expressed a quick smile before making through the crowd with solemn men in black suits. “Sh.it.”
 
“Guys, Hiromi Shiro is here.” Sungjae ran his eyes across Krystal’s section and found her looking straight at him. “Isn’t he Akutagawa Ken’s personal assistant?” She nodded and pointed her finger at the group of men who attracted weary glances around them. “What are they doing here?” He watched Victoria frowned from where she stood.
 
“Joon.” Sulli fixed her eyes on the man who had just exited the automatic doors and followed him as he looked around the hall. Akutagawa’s assistant approached Joon and escorted him away, leaving them scrambling through the crowd.
 
“Akutagawa-san will meet you tonight and he wants you to be settled comfortably before meeting him.” Hiromi led him towards the awaiting car and climbed in after Joon, who did nothing but merely acknowledge the piece of information. 
 
Hiromi studied him from the corner of his eyes and found the man looking outside, his hand tracing the stream of rain on the window. The man had brought nothing with him, not even a travel bag. Where is it? He wondered.
 
“Will you prefer I keep the stamp for safekeeping?” Joon dropped his hand and looked away from the window, choosing to focus his attention on him. “I’d prefer to have it with me. It will, after all, guarantee my safety.” His unflinching gaze elicited much discomfort in Hiromi and he let out a chuckle. “No one would dare touch a single hair on you when you’re under Akutagawa-san’s care.”
 
“It’s not others that I’m worried about. It’s Akutagawa that I’m concerned of.” Joon turned away with his arms crossed and closed his eyes, preventing Hiromi from further engaging him with small talk.
 
~~
 
“What could Akutagawa want from Joon?” Victoria shook her head as she settled into the plush sofa back in their hotel accommodation. “Who cares about what Akutagawa wants! Joon is our focus. We could’ve snatched him out of their grasp before he entered Akutagawa’s residence.” Krystal fumed.
 
“I’ve just received a call from Miyamoto Seiji.” Sulli said. “He mentioned that Akutagawa has called for a clan meeting tomorrow morning.” Victoria raised her eyebrows. “For what?”
 
“Miyamoto doesn’t know the reason for the meeting as well.” She shook her head. “He’ll be representing Matsuka at the meeting. Also, I’ll be leaving for Seoul tonight. Matsuka wants to tie up loose ends.”
 
~~
 
“So Yunho’s the loose end.” Sungjae remained close by her side as they make their way through the crowd of party goers in the club district. They had made their way here from the airport after receiving information on the sighting of the former policeman. Yunho had earlier resigned from his post without any explanation and his bank records showed he had been transferring funds to an off shore account.
 
“He’s on the run and he knows too much about Matsuka.” Sulli stopped in front of a bar with signs of scantily clad women serving beer while flashing suggestive looks. “I know it’s not my right to say this.” Sungjae’s words stopped her and she turned to him.
 
“Why can’t you turn a blind eye to Joon?” He stole a quick glance and added before she could answer. “He must be acting on the avenging for his family’s death. After all, it all began with Matsuka.”
 
“We could’ve played dumb but he’s also putting our lives in danger.” Sulli answered quietly. “Looked what happened to Nichkhun, Kibum and Amber. If he had left us alone in his revenge bid, I couldn’t have cared less about it, I might’ve even helped him along the way too.” She let out a sigh and entered the bar with him following her a second later.
 
“Let go of me.” A woman pleaded desperately while trying to free her wrist from his strong grip. The man whirled around and pulled her close to him, his lips resting by her ear. “Leave this place with me, Ara.” He urged. “Once they find out about you, they’ll come for you. You’re not safe.”
 
“And I’ll be safe if I followed you?” The woman named Ara chuckled sarcastically and pushed against him. “I have a family to feed. I can’t just drop everything and leave.” She nearly stumbled when he suddenly shoved her behind him and she caught the sight of an approaching couple.
 
“We won’t hurt her if you’d come with us.” The woman’s attention lingered on her and she shrunk further behind him as she tugged his arm for his attention. “Yunho what’s going on?” Yunho led her back into the employees’ room and pushed her inside.
 
“Stay here until I come for you.” Ara stopped him from the shutting the door and her forehead crinkled with worry. “Is it them?” She whispered. Yunho squeezed her hand and smiled.  
 
Yunho entered the black SUV and glanced wearily as Sungjae climbed in after him. Sulli watched him being handcuffed by Sungjae through the rear-view mirror before she steered the car away from the crowded vicinity. Yunho looked around anxiously for an escape when a red light came into view.
 
Yunho took the opportunity when Sulli wasn’t looking and threw his elbow in the direction of Sungjae, jabbing him squarely in the face. He snatched the keys that he had been eyeing from Sungjae and unlocked the cuffs as he scrambled out of the SUV.
 
“F.ck.” Sulli jumped out after him and dashed to a stop on the sidewalk while he ran in the shadows of the tree lined street. She lifted her gun and closed an eye to take aim. She waited for her breathing to even and in a moment, she held her breath and pulled the trigger.
 
The figure in the darkness collapsed in mid-run.
 
Yunho fixed his gaze on her as he lay twitching on the ground, blood seeping from his chest wound. “Please let me go.” He coughed out blood and twitched uncontrollably. Sulli studied his pleading eyes and a sense of sympathy overcame her.
 
Yunho was merely a pawn that can be easily rid of. He was a valuable asset until he was of no more use.  
 
Both of us aren’t that much different from one another, she pondered. Sulli was aware that he was slowly slipping away and into the hands of death as his movements grew less frantic and weaker. Matsuka wouldn’t hesitate to kill us either.
 
“Don’t t-touch her.” Yunho’s pale lips moved almost silently and she leaned in closer. “Lea-ve Ara alone.” He gurgled blood and clenched his teeth together to focus on his last message. “Please.”
 
“Sulli!” Sungjae ran up to her and his eyes fell upon the dead man as she ran a hand down his face, shutting his wide open eyes. “Let’s go.” She muttered. Sulli cast a last look behind her and made her way back to the car.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Joon felt his insides coil from disgust as he watched the Japanese yakuza cackled in delight over the signed documents. These heartless, power hungry men. He shifted in his seat and loosened his tie slightly.
 
“When I first received your call, I couldn’t have imagined that this day would come. So, please forgive my initial scepticism.” Akutagawa presented him with a slight nod of appreciation but Joon merely stared on, which irked the older man and cleared his throat in annoyance. “If I may ask, why are you doing this?” He fixed his eyes on the item that Joon was twirling with his long fingers.
 
Joon pocket the circular case and laced his fingers, resting them on his lap as he put on a smile. “You and I have a common interest and that’s Matsuka. Isn’t that sufficient enough of a reason to satisfy your question?” He noted the bitter frustration on Akutagawa’s face and he smirked. “If that is all, I shall take my leave.”
 
He left the room without so much of a glance in Akutagawa’s direction and the knuckles on the older man turned white as he fumed over the disrespectful treatment.
 
Joon glanced at the snow covered garden and stopped in his steps as he observed the light snow fall sprinkle over the beautiful landscape. However, his smile faltered when he noticed movement from the corner of his eyes and the rustling of footsteps.
 
He turned around to find a group of men who approached him with determination in their eyes. “What is going on?” Joon hissed. The men ignored his question and charged forward without any warning. He pulled out his gun and fired aimlessly behind him as he hurried away from them. Painful grunts and heavy thuds on the wooden floor told him that fewer men were on his tail.
 
Joon reached a dead end and quickly entered one of the rooms, searching for an escape as footsteps grew louder when the decorative piece sitting atop the shelf caught his attention. He unsheathed the katana and followed the shadows of the approaching men. His grip on the sword tightened when the shadows stopped at the entrance.
 
Neither side moved an inch, as if waiting for the other party to make the first move. Joon moved away from the door and backed into the shadows just as the door slide open.
 
The men entered the room cautiously with their eyes scanning around the darkness. They were taken by surprise when he attacked from the dark corner of the room and blood splattered over the once pristine room.
 
~~
 
The book fell out of his hand at the contact of a sharp blade circling his neck from behind. His eyes darted around in panic and he gasped when the blood stained Joon appeared in his view. He inched away from the blade but it only made Joon pressed the edge of the blade firmer against his skin.
 
“Don’t do anything rash.” Akutagawa’s voice quivered. He cried in pain as Joon stepped forward with the blade, drawing blood on his neck as the sharp edge eased along the flesh. “Of course not. How can I kill my messenger before the message’s delivered?” Joon murmured. He lifted the sword and Akutagawa’s shoulders fell in a short lived relief until he flinched away from the pain inflicted on his cheek.
 
“This is a warning to you.” Joon studied the cut that he had given to the older man and the latter inched away as Joon laid eyes on him. “Do anything like that again and I’ll let everyone know about the deal we had if I choose not to kill you myself.” He leaned in closer and whispered. “I’m sure there are people who are willing to do that in my place.”
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
The chatter died down and everyone in the room fixed their eyes on the figure that had just entered the room. The man with a bandage across his cheek made his way to the head of the table.
 
“Thank you for coming in today. The reason for today’s meeting is to announce the transfer of Matsuka Yuu’s share in the clan over to me, Akutagawa Ken.”
 
Akutagawa paused and watched the chatter of disbelief and surprise spread across the room. He pushed back the urge to grin and cleared his throat. “Matsuka no longer holds 26% share of the clan.”
 
“Did you know about this?” Miyamoto Seiji shook his head and turned to Victoria. “Yuu-kun would have informed me about something this major. With Yuu-kun’s share, Akutagawa holds nearly half of the clan’s share.”
 
“That is not possible. How dare you lie about such thing!” A man yelled from his seat and Akutagawa smiled calmly as he brought out a document. “Shunji-kun, I do not lie. This is the document admitting to transfer of shares and Matsuka’s stamp.” He pointed at the red ink stamp at the bottom of the document beside his.
 
“How did he get the stamp?” Miyamoto gasped.
 
“Joon.” Victoria muttered. She reached for her phone and bit her bottom lips as she waited for the speed dial to go through. “Krystal, have you managed to track Joon?”
 
“I can’t seem to find him. It seems like he might have already left the country.”
 
~~
 
 
“This is a ridiculous offer. I will pretend as if this didn’t happen. If you contact me about this again, I’ll report to Matsuka.” Joon chuckled. He turned the stamp over and studied the engraving. “Are you that loyal to Matsuka or do you merely not believe what I’m saying?”
 
The engraving clearly showed the Chinese characters of Matsuka’s name and he was impressed with the duplicate work. It looks exactly like the original, Joon thought. He found this duplicate stamp in his late brother’s possession awhile ago and had wondered what plans Donghae had for it then.
 
“I know that you’ve prepared documents for the power transfer between Matsuka and yourself and you’re just missing one important link – Matsuka’s stamp.” The line went silent and Joon knew he had taken the bait. “How did you know about that? I’ve told no one other than—”
 
“Your informer.”
 
“Who are you!” Akutagawa’s voice of panic was music to his ears as it is clearly evident as to who is holding the reins in this deal. “Your informer is none other than my brother, Lee Donghae.”
 
“Then you’re—”
 
“Lee Joon. Does that make my words more credible now that you have a name to link to the voice?”
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“She’ll be here soon. You can go.” Amber shoved him away from the sidewalk with a reassuring smile. “I can take care of myself.”
 
“We can’t take things for granted. Just let me wait with you until Victoria arrives.” Henry went back to her side and walked her into the café.
 
Amber had received a message from Victoria suggesting that they meet up. Even though Henry could trust Victoria to keep her safe, he didn’t feel comfortable with leaving Amber alone.
 
“I’ll be fine. I’m in a public area. If there’s anything wrong, I’ll call for help.” She smiled upon reading the message on her phone. “Look, Victoria’s already here. She’s looking for a parking space.”
 
Henry frowned and allowed her to steer him towards the entrance. “Go away!” Amber jokingly shoved him out of the door. He scoffed and went up to her, pulling her in for a quick kiss. Her cheeks grew pink and this time, she gently pushed him away. Henry waved and gestured for her to enter the café.
 
Amber sat in her seat and the familiar smell of coffee brought back memories of that day. She could still remember the accident, the scorching heat emanating from the burning wreckage as she tried to near it. She couldn’t believe that Kibum was gone in just a blink of an eye.
 
She wasn’t stupid. She knew that the others were hiding something from her and none would come forth to tell her what actually happened or is happening.
 
“Sorry I’m late.” Her vision came back into focus as she pulled herself away from her thoughts and found a man sliding into the seat in front of her.
 
She stared at him.
 
“Remember his face.” Kibum told her as she studied the photo before handing back his phone. “If you see him, run.”
 
“You.” She blinked. She remembered the deep voice from their conversation over the phone. “Lee Joon.” She breathed.
 
 
“Hello, Amber.” Joon smiled.
 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- o o o --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello my dear readers, I just want you to know that the story is almost reaching its end. Maybe in about 2.. or 3 chapters. I've yet to write the last chapter but the ideas are pretty clear and all I have to do is find the time and put them in words. XD

I hoped you enjoyed reading the story so far. We're almosttt there!