Chapter 33

Zero Gravity
 “It’s been a long while.” He leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms over his chest. Joon’s eyes turned away from hers and his wandering gaze made her uncomfortable.
 
“What are you doing here?” Amber watched the handsome man pursed his lips and leaned forward to rest his elbows on the small table. “To meet you, of course.”
 
“Victoria’s not coming.” She looked away from the café doors and found him with an unsettling smile on his lips. “How did you know?” He waved his phone at her and set it on the table. “Because I was the one who sent the message.”
 
“Why are you doing this?” Amber ignored Kibum’s nagging voice in her head and remained in her seat instead of walking away. “This is the only way I could get to you.” Joon said.
 
“I think you deserve to know the truth about yourself that the others are not telling you. I wasn’t lying over the phone.”
 
“You’re asking me to believe your words that I’m an assassin.” Amber said sharply. “There’s no reason for me to lie.” Joon shrugged and waved the server away impatiently when he came over to take his order. “I’d rather not. A liar will always be a liar.”
“When have I ever lied?”
 
“You didn’t tell me that you’re the sole reason I’m sitting here with a missing memory.” Amber said coolly. “You left out such an important fact and I’m supposed to believe whatever that comes out of your mouth?” She let out a satirical chuckle. “F.ck you.” Amber pushed her chair back to leave but he stopped her. She felt a prick on her skin and shrugged her wrist from his grasp.
 
“I admit that it was a mistake on my part.” The phony smile that he sported throughout the conversation had disappeared and he tightened his grip, refusing to let her go. “But you wouldn’t listen to me when I asked you to leave Matsuka.”
 
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Amber winced when the objects in her vision began to blur. “I’ll give you five seconds to release my hand.” She took a sharp intake of breath and swallowed to keep her discomfort from showing. Joon refused and doubled over in pain after she had kicked him in the shin.
 
 
~~
 
 
“Hey Victoria, could you bring Amber home later? I’ll be in a meeting when you guys are done.” Henry manoeuvred the car into the driveway leading towards the lobby. “I don’t understand. I’m in Tokyo as we speak.”
 
“What?” Henry dropped the keys into the parking attendant’s hand. “Amber received a text from you last night asking to meet up.” A short pause fell over them.
 
“Henry, get back to Amber.”
 
 
~~
 
 
Amber leaned her head against the wall with her eyes shut to escape her spinning vision when someone tugged her by the arm, bringing her through the kitchen and out into the back alley.
 
She dug the sole of her boots into the ground with all her might while squirming to pull her arm out of his vise like grip. “Stop struggling. I’m only helping you.” Joon turned around and pulled her into him, his lips pressed close to her ear. “What makes you think that you’re safe just because you’re dating his nephew? He could have you killed in an instant regardless of what you meant to Henry if he doesn’t see any benefit in you.”
 
Amber strained to reach the steak knife that she had furtively slipped away in her boot and her fingers ghosted the edge of the handle when Joon caught her. “You don’t want to do that.” He flung the knife away and it clattered on the ground in the distance.
 
Joon doubled over in pain when she kicked him in his abdomen. Amber stumbled but caught herself in time as she squinted to keep her focus.
 
"You don't have respect for me at all when you did that!"
 
Amber flinched. She caught a glimpse of herself facing Joon in a clearing at the edge of the forest in the same exact scenario. She squeezed her eyes closed as a sharp pain shot from the side of her head.
 
“You may have lost your memory but your skills still remain.” Joon pinned her against the wall. The back of her head throbbed in pain when she collided with the hard surface and she choked over the pressure of his arm pressed firmly over her neck. Joon watched her decorate his arm with crescent marks and red scratches as Amber fought beneath him.
 
“I can’t breathe.” She cried. He searched her eyes for a moment before he loosened his grip, watching her intently as she regained her breathing. Without any warning, he leaned into her and kissed her roughly.
 
Joon clamped her legs together to stop her from struggling and he pulled away with a yelp. He touched his bloody lip after she had bitten him.
 
Kibum turned his entire body to face her and he was serious. “He spiked your champagne before handing it to you.”
 
Amber dropped to her knees and winced as she held onto her head in confusion.
 
“RUN!” Amber kicked the man’s head to stop him and she turned around to find Henry still rooted to the spot. “Henry!” He snapped out of his daze and stumbled. “Run! I’ll find you later!”
 
Nothing will change my loyalty to Matsuka.” Amber got up and raised the gun at him.
 
“No! No! I don’t want to die!” The last gunshot echoed throughout the alley, followed by a clatter when she threw the gun away from her.
 
Her memories were interrupted when Joon pulled her back to her feet and dragged her away from the back door as she tugged at his hands weakly.
 
“Let go of me!” Amber tried to a shake him off with all her might but to no avail. “Let go.” Amber sobbed, her eyebrows knitted together in exasperation and confusion. She squeezed her eyes close, only to be confronted with the image of the dead man that she had killed.
 
“Yes, I’m Lee Changsun. Or was him.” Joon said. “There’s no point in denying it. And yes, I killed Nichkhun. He was just a pawn in the game.”
 
“Hey! What’s going on?” Joon looked up to find a man dressed in a cook’s uniform who'd just stepped out for his break. The man found something amiss and disposed his cigarette as he approached them, his eyes flickering over to visibly distressed Amber. “Let the woman go.”
 
Joon reached behind for his gun but stopped short when the cook called the attention of the police patrol officers who had just walked pass the mouth of the alley. “Yah!” The cook quickly caught the woman in his arms as Joon made his escape.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Amber swung her legs over the edge of the bed and held the side of her head. The last she remembered before she fell unconscious was the image of a breathless Henry carrying her in his arms out of the café.
 
She ran a hand through her hair and gently grasped the back of her head where it had hit the wall during her scuffle with Joon.
 
Amber pulled the covers over her body and leaned back against the headboard while hugging her legs to her chest. She rested her chin on her knees and listened.
 
Silence was all she heard at the beginning before the clatter of pots and pans reached her ears. The evening sunlight left without notice as she stared into the dark bedroom, deep in her thoughts.Her face would lit up but her smiles would disappear the very next moment as if something unpleasant had crossed her mind.
 
Henry chopped hurriedly and glanced over his shoulder at the stovetop where pots were bubbling over its lid. He threw the chopped ingredients into the awaiting frying pan before lifting the pot lids, dropping them carelessly into the sink.
 
“It looks yummy.” He added the meat to the pan and whirled around to find her perched on one of the kitchen stools, observing the cooking process, the delicious smell wafting to her nose. “Are you still feeling uncomfortable?” He took off the apron and gave her a tight hug.
 
“No. Why?” Her arms remained wrapped around him even after he had dropped his and he smiled. He crossed his wrists over her lower back and laid his cheek on her shoulder. “You were mumbling along the way home that somewhere hurts.”
 
“Oh. I’m fine now.” She reassured him and cast her troubled gaze on the bubbling activity at the stove. “Where’s Victoria?”
 
“She’s flying back from Japan as we speak.” Henry found it odd that she was looking for the older woman. “Why?” Amber shook her head and whispered. “Nothing. Just asking.”
 
“You’d let me know if something’s up, right?” She averted her gaze when Henry repeated his question. “The meat’s burning.” Amber used the smoking pan as her much needed distraction. “!
 
Amber watched as he tried to salvage the burnt meat by taking out the blackened pieces, leaving only a few edible ones in the pan. She reached for her sore neck and recalled the scene of the alley.
 
“I will make you remember what you’ve kept hidden in your memory.” Amber heard him say as she struggled to breathe against his arm over her neck.
 
“Your hands are stained with blood from the countless murders that you’ve done for Matsuka. Do you think you can just wash your hands clean of your sins by forgetting the yesterdays and get on your live like any other normal person?” A tear ran down her cheek and her lungs strained to get air into them. “Liu Yi Yun is already dead!”
 
“Amber. Your life.” She dug her nails into the arm over her neck and left angry red trails behind them as she tried tearing it away. “Was ruined by Matsuka. If there’s anyone to blame, it’s him!”
 
“Who is he to determine who lives or dies!” Joon shouted, his eyes glistening in anger before his expression fell. He wrinkled his forehead and bit his trembling lips. “And yet, you remain blinded by gratitude.” He whispered.
 
“He wrecked our lives. Leading a normal life has now become somewhat a dream to us, something that we can only hope for.” Joon’s gaze softened and loosened his grip, allowing her to breathe easily.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
He laid the bouquet of flowers over the mound and brought out a green bottle from the plastic bag. He poured half of its contents over the ground in front of the mound and got to his knees, bowing three times with his head touching the ground. He smiled at the photo of a couple on the tombstone and left the place.
 
He passed several graves in the clearing before laying eyes on the one at the far end, which had a clear view of the dark sea. The man settled down next to the mound and took out the last bottle of soju. He poured the first serving on the ground before taking a swing from the bottle.
 
“Hyung.” Joon laid his head back against the mound and scanned the stars in the night sky. “How are you?” He pulled his jacket tighter around him and watched the white smoke escape his mouth as he sighed.
 
“My life feels awfully empty right now. How should I feel knowing that our revenge is close to completion?” Joon sniffed, unable to feel the end of his nose from the cold. “Should I be relieved? Glad?”
 
“I don’t know what I’m going to do after all this ends. There’s nothing that I could look forward to.” He paused and watched as the stars got hidden behind the thick clouds. However, the wind soon blew them away and the stars reappeared. “You’re no longer around. There’s no one that I could rely on.”
 
Joon shut his eyes and felt the alcohol slipped down his throat as he downed the bottle until its last drop. He wiped his lips with the back of his hand and let out a chuckle.
 
"So this is what being alone feels like." He muttered.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Henry wasn't too happy to find out that she was out of the house after what happened with Joon. She found his worrying endearing and had to convince him that she was indeed with Victoria.
 
"Yeah, it's the real me." Victoria chirped from the driver's seat and turned off the engine. "I thought I'd take her out to lunch. Being locked up at home will bore the hell out of anyone."
 
"He's quite a nagger." Victoria said. Amber smiled knowingly and turned her attention to the building in front. Her eyes fell on the signboard and read. “Nirvana Columbarium.
 
"So why didn't you tell Henry that you’ve recovered your memory?" Victoria led the way through the quiet building with Amber following behind. "I'm not sure what I should do." The older woman stopped and turned around to face her. "What are you talking about?"
 
“I don’t know whether I should leave him.” She answered softly. “If I do, not telling him that I recovered my memory will make it easier to end things.”
 
“For him or you?” Amber remained silent, pondering over her simple question. “Is it easier for him to accept that you’re no longer the woman that he fell in love with? Or, are you just afraid of what comes along with being in love with him?” Victoria asked. She raised her eyebrows at Amber as if telling her that she won’t budge until she gets an answer.
 
“I feel as if I don’t deserve happiness after what I’ve done.” Amber said. “We’ve killed too many people, unni.” She met Victoria’s eyes and neither of them said anything for a while. “It just doesn’t feel right, that I’m happy while the others are nursing the pain of losing someone.”
 
"Be selfish for your own sake." Victoria said. "Life can be unpredictable at times." Amber caught her twirling the wedding band on her finger. “Things that you take for granted can be gone at the very next moment.” A small smile appeared over her lips. “You shouldn’t dwell in the past. Leave it behind and start anew. Like I did.”
 
Amber averted her gaze and walked ahead of the older woman. “Well, this isn’t the right time to be talking about this.” The two women made their way down the hall, passing by row after row of niches until Victoria guided her into the last alley.
 
Amber noticed a woman standing at the very end when they entered. She couldn’t see her face since she turned away and left before they approached. Her eyes followed the pint sized woman until she rounded the corner and turned to Victoria who didn’t pay any attention to the stranger. “Here he is.”
 
Amber stood in front of the niche that belonged to the man who she’d treated as a brother and her eyes wandered to the niche beside his. A pretty girl was smiling back at her and she looked below the photo. “Lee Hyunjoo.” She whispered. Amber turned back to his photo and smiled upon recognizing the name. “At last, you’re back by your first love’s side.” She whispered.
 
“What is this?” She followed Victoria’s gaze and found a chain dangling by the edge of the niche -- it was pendant of a doll sitting on a crescent moon. Her eyes widened at the familiar necklace and dashed in the direction of the woman from earlier.
 
Amber ran down the flight of stairs and her eyes scanned her surroundings for the woman. She found her walking towards the entrance and hurried after her.
 
“Luna.” Amber caught her by the arm and made her turned around.
 
Luna tried to pull her arm out of her grasp but Amber held on tightly and turned up her palm, dropping something cool on her hand. Luna looked down and found the necklace back in her hands. “Take it back.”
 
“Hyung told me about it.” Amber added, releasing her and she took a step back. Luna searched her eyes and frowned. “You remembered everything?”
 
“Yes.”
 
Luna pursed her lips and looked at the necklace in her hand. “I don’t want it.” She let the necklace fall to the ground. “It means nothing to me.” Amber felt her insides boil.
 
She picked up the necklace and shoved it back into Luna’s hands. “It means nothing to you?” Amber clenched her jaw and she kept her hands over Luna’s, forcing her to hold onto the necklace. “This necklace will remind you of what you’ve done to the man who had been nothing but true to you.” Amber finally let go and left her standing there as she headed back to Victoria.
 
Her footsteps came to a stop when Luna called out to her. “Why are you doing this?”
 
“Hyung wanted closure. He knew there was no point in dragging on. So, he decided to let go.” Amber turned to face Luna and continued. “And I want you to honour that. It’s the least you can do for him.”  Luna watched her silently. “Don’t ever come back here.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Amber dropped her bag on the ground and lay on the sofa, pulling a cushion to her chest. She replayed the conversation she had with Victoria in the car outside after the latter had driven her home from dinner.
 
You’ve been through a lot with him. Isn’t it a waste to let it all go now?” Amber listened as Victoria continued her persuasion. “He’s willing to accept for who you are, which makes it easier for the both of you.” The younger woman merely nodded without a single word out of and it made Victoria irritated.
 
“Don’t you see that you’re luckier than I am?” Amber turned to her in surprise when Victoria raised her voice. “I had to hide my past from Nichkhun. Do you think that’s easy?”
 
“No, unni--”
 
“There were so many times that I nearly told him the truth.” Victoria pursed her lips and her brows furrowed together as she blinked rapidly. “But I told myself that I’d lose him if I did. Nichkhun may be my husband, but he’s first and foremost, a policeman.” Victoria sobbed. “Do you think he’ll be able to take it?”
 
“Henry doesn’t care, don’t you see?”
 
“Thank you for bringing me to see Kibum, unni.” Amber diverted the topic as she gathered her things and reached for the door. “I’ll see you next time.” Victoria stopped her by the wrist and Amber paused.
 
“Promise me you’ll give it a lot of thought.”
 
Amber sighed. She threw the cushion aside and got up from the couch, heading towards her favourite room in the house.
 
There’s was something about Henry’s studio that sets her at ease whenever she has many things going through her mind. Some may find it uncomfortable or even eerie at the quietness, but it makes her feel at peace.
 
Amber chuckled at the state of his desk -- papers were strewn all over, a stack of cds lay haphazardly at the edge and dirty mugs were used as paperweights.
 
She straightened up the papers in a neat pile and set the mugs aside before she sunk down in the seat. Amber reached for the stack of cds and sorted through it until she came across an untitled cd.
 
Amber loaded the disk into the player and found a single audio file with her name as the title. It sparked her curiosity and decided to play it.
 
The acoustic guitar filed the small studio and she leaned back with her eyes closed, taking in the soothing music. However, the easy smile on her lips disappeared when he began to sing.
 
A seemingly normal woman entered my life
She was like no other woman that i know
 
She didn’t need to act weak to make me feel protective
She didn’t need to act cute to gain my heart
She’s strong
She’s independent
She was like no other woman that i know
She was like no other woman that i know
Times can be rough
Times can be hard
But there’s nothing that we can’t conquer together
 
Amber sat in silence and replayed the simple song. At first, she hesitated to give into the answer that she knew all along. But as she listened to the song again and again, she knew that she wanted to be with him no matter what.
 
She reached for her phone and pressed the speed dial before holding up against her ear. Amber tapped her fingers in a nervous manner as she waited for the other end to pick up.
 
“Henry, have you finished work?”
 
“You’ve not eaten? Let’s have supper then.” She left the studio and rushed down the stairs, nearly slipping on her sock clad feet. “I’ll be at your office soon. There’s something that I need to tell you.”
 
 
~~
 
 
Henry closed the folder and pushed it aside, groaning as he lay his head down on the desk. He couldn't stop thinking about her call and countless scenarios raced across his mind.
 
"What does she need to talk about that she can’t wait to tell me back home?" He muttered, checking his watch before resuming where he had left off in his work.
 
He heard the door to his room swing open and smiled without looking up. "That was quick."
 
"I didn't know that you were expecting me."
 
His pen stopped scribbling across the surface of the paper and he frowned. Henry looked up and his eyes followed the man, who was walking around the room with his hands in his pockets.
 
“Why are you here?” Henry got up from his chair and walked around the desk as Joon eyed him lazily. “Because I need you to accomplish something of mine.” Henry charged towards him and threw a punch.
 
Joon stumbled and caught himself before he could fall to the ground. “You, good for nothing, piece of .” Henry hissed, grabbing him by the shoulder to knee him in the abdomen.
 
“You’re the reason our lives are not what it used to be!” Henry seized him by the collar and pulled his arm back to throw another punch. “Nichkhun, Kibum and Amber, it’s all your fault!” He caught Henry’s fist in his and tackled him as he pulled out something from his pocket.
 
Joon stabbed a syringe into Henry’s thigh and the latter immediately released him. Joon got to his feet steadily and watched Henry succumbed to sedative as he crumpled to the ground with his eyes in a daze.
 
Henry strained to keep his eyes open but his body wouldn’t let him and he soon slipped into darkness.
 
 
~~
 
 
Amber ended the call and tried again but it went into voicemail as she turned into the building, stopping the car outside the lobby.
 
“Why isn’t he picking up his phone?” She looked up to find a car exiting the basement parking and recognized his car. Amber caught a glimpse of the driver and she stopped breathing for a moment. “Why is Joon driving his car?”
 
Joon glanced at the unconsciousness Henry and patted down his body until he found the ringing phone. “What the f.ck are you doing?” Joon looked into the rear view mirror to find her in the car behind, flashing its lights at him. He ended the call without answering her and threw the phone beside him.
 
Amber cursed. She steered the car into the next lane and accelerated until both cars were speeding side by side. She turned to look and found Henry in the passenger seat with his head drooping over his body.
 
Amber had to step on the brakes and swerved behind Henry’s car when she nearly ran straight into a construction barrier. Joon had his eyes on her the entire time and accelerated when they were approaching a yellow light.  Amber followed behind closely and they sped past the red light, which earned them multiple honks as they entered heavier traffic.
 
Joon made a sudden left turn at the next intersection during the red light and cars from the opposite traffic honked excessively as they swerved out the way, which sent them crashing into cars from the other direction. It created a major accident pile up and was the necessary distraction that Joon intended for Amber.
 
Amber was boxed in by the gridlock and hit the wheel in frustration. She got out of her car and scanned her surroundings for the already long gone car.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Amber entered the mansion and dashed into the control room where the others had gathered. “Could you track the car?”
 
“Unni!” Krystal leapt from her chair and threw her arms around her neck, hugging her tightly. “Thank goodness you recovered your memory.” Amber set her eyes on Victoria and the latter merely shrugged. “They had to know.”
 
“We lost them a few minutes ago after they entered a shopping mall’s basement parking.” Sulli said, prying her sister away from Amber. “Joon must have switched cars.”
 
“Why did he kidnap Henry?” Sungjae asked. He was made slightly self-conscious when every pair of eyes in the room was on him. “I don’t know.” Amber answered.
 
“Does Henry have a tracker on him?” Amber shook her head. They looked at each other worriedly because right now, they have no means of locating Henry.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Henry jerked awake from the cold water that was dunked on him. He looked around his surroundings and struggled to push himself off the floor with his bound limbs, moving as fast as his lethargic body could allow him.
 
He felt the dimly lit room move up and down and it made him queasy. Henry squinted when the lights came on and he heard the sound of waves before someone shut the door. “We’re out at sea.” The person confirmed his suspicion and he glared at the owner of the voice, unable to say anything with the gag in his mouth.
 
“It’s time for you to begin work.” Joon said. He pulled him onto his feet and faced him in the direction of the only mansion on the beach. “Do you see that? That’s Matsuka’s residence and it’s showtime.” Henry didn’t understand what was going on as Joon tugged him out of the room, shoving him down on the dive platform of the yacht.
 
Matsuka set down the financial reports and took off his glasses as he rubbed his eyes. He walked to the windows and crossed his arms, sighing as he stared at the dark sea. He looked over his shoulder when his phone rang and strode over to his desk.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Good evening.”
 
“Who are you?”
 
“Lee Changsun.”
 
“I think you’ve gotten the wrong number.” Matsuka was prepared to end the call but his following words stopped him. “Of course, you wouldn’t remember since you killed too many people to keep track of their names.”
 
“Let me tell you a story. Many years ago, a man who used to work for you was found dead in his home along with his wife.” Matsuka found it unsettling that the caller knew about him and he felt as if he was being watched. “The police closed the case as a mere robbery gone wrong but it was more than that.” Matsuka looked out of the windows and found a yacht in the middle of the sea. It wasn’t there a while ago.
 
“You killed the man because he had discriminating evidence against you that even the bribing the highest police official isn’t able to get you out of the mess.”  Matsuka grew more alarmed at each passing second and he opened one of his cupboards, pulling out a set of binoculars. He turned his attention back to the yacht and adjusted the focus, “Who are you!” Matsuka shouted angrily.
 
“I’ve already told you. But, maybe this name will sound more familiar to you. I’m Lee Choisik’s son.”  Matsuka remembered the name and wanted to respond but he was silenced by his next words. “Lee Donghae’s brother, Lee Joon.”
 
“That should be clear enough, you son of a b.tch.”  Matsuka saw Joon through the binoculars and the latter held up his middle finger at him.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Amber pressed her palms over her tired eyes and rubbed them lightly as she made her way to the kitchen. She slowed down upon hearing hushed whispers and stopped behind the wall leading to the kitchen.
 
“Have you ever thought about it?” Krystal picked up the whistling kettle and poured the hot water into the cups sitting on the counter. “The difference between opp— Joon and us.”
 
“What do you mean?” Amber heard Victoria’s voice the loudest and assumed that she was sitting on the high stools on the other side of the wall.
 
“If we strip away all the complexities that surround us, we’re not any better than he is.” Krystal stirred her cup and took a sip. “We kill without question. We kill people who had friends and families.”
 
“What are you trying to say?” She noticed the sharp tone in the older woman’s voice but chose to ignore it. “Joon’s parents were murdered by Matsuka. His revenge against Matsuka’s understandable. He pushed everything aside and placed vengeance as the utmost importance. He couldn’t let anything stop him from avenging his family’s death, even if it needed him to manipulate those who were once close to him.”
 
“From his point of view, everything that he does is correct, which is very much like us. In order to get what we want, we kill without any rational as long as it gets us to where we want.”  Krystal paused. “As much as I hate to admit it, we’re all hypocrites for condemning his actions.”
 
“Why are we fighting him? Who are we fighting for?” Amber leaned against the wall. “This is all I could think of.”
 
“We’re now fighting back for us, for our own survival. It’s either he lives or we do.” Victoria frowned. Her eyes began to well in tears and she looked away. “And after what he’d done to Nichkhun and Kibum, I can never forgive him for that.”
 
She grabbed her coffee and slide off the stool, rounding the corner to find Amber standing there. Neither of them said anything until Victoria looked over Amber’s shoulder to see Sungjae dashing towards them. “Guys, Henry’s cell phone is back on the grid.”
 
“It reappeared five minutes ago and the location was tracked to Matsuka’s seaside residence.” Sulli informed them as they watched the red blip appear just off the beach boundary. “What’s it doing there?” Victoria asked.
 
“Have you contacted Matsuka?” Sulli nodded in response to Amber’s question and elaborated. “But his line was busy.”
 
“Get the security to check on Matsuka and increase ground surveillance. Also, have them report back to us regarding updates.” Sulli immediately carried out Amber’s instructions while the others can only wonder at the relation between Matsuka and the GPS location.
 
 
~~
 
 
“You killed an innocent man and his wife.” Joon’s voice trembled from anger and he calmed himself before continuing. “I watched my mother die with my very own eyes. A child should never have to witness that!”
 
“What does it feels like now that you’re stripped of your wealth and power? The Hong Kong triads mess and your loss of control over the Japanese yakuza, it was all done by me.” Joon stepped closer to the man sprawled across the floor and kicked him with all his might. “It was very satisfying to watch your empire crumble to pieces but I’ve kept the best for the last.”
 
“You’re nothing but a selfish bastard who would do anything to save your own neck.” Matsuka watched him kicked something at his feet but couldn’t make out the object hidden in the shadows until Joon the boat’s flood lights. “And I wonder to what extent you would go to.”
 
“Only one of you will live.” Matsuka gripped the binoculars tightly and clenched his teeth upon recognizing the man squirming on the dive platform. “Will you sacrifice your life for Henry’s?”
 
Matsuka looked over his shoulder when someone attempted to open the door, only to find it locked and rapped loudly. “Sir, is everything alright?” A man called from the other side of the door.
 
“Leave me alone!” Matsuka barked and turned his attention back to the yacht. “Leave Henry out of this. He has nothing do with this.” He pleaded. “I mean nothing to him.”
 
“He may not acknowledge you as his uncle, but he means something to you, wouldn’t you say so?” Matsuka followed his actions closely and gasped at the gun in his hand. “You did many things to his competitors in favour of Henry’s company and no one dared to lay their hands on him. If you weren’t concerned and looking out for him, what is it?”
 
“WIll you sacrifice your life for Henry? Make your decision. I’ll count to five.” Joon ignored Matsuka’s countless pleas and counteroffers as he counted down. Without missing a beat, he fired his gun at Henry’s leg and the latter’s scream was muffled by the gag in his mouth.
 
“I’m serious.”  Matsuka heard the echo of the gunshot and frantically searched for Henry. “He might not be as lucky the next time.”
 
“How do I know that you won’t kill the both of us?” Joon kept Henry on his back with a foot on his shoulder while he grind the latter’s wound with his other foot. “I don’t it’s wise to test my patience.” He held the phone next to Henry as he groaned in pain.
 
Matsuka ignored the frantic calls of his security personnel to let them in as they pounded on the solid oak door. Many things ran through his mind but it wasn’t difficult for him to make a decision once his priorities became clear.
 
~~
 
 
“We heard a gunshot around the vicinity and Matsuka had locked himself inside his study.” The head of security personnel informed them.
 
“Look! The blip is moving away from the residence.” Krystal pointed at the red dot, which was moving in the opposite direction into sea. “Something’s not right.” Sulli muttered.
 
Amber reached for her ringing phone and nearly dropped it when she saw the caller ID. “Hello?” There was no reply on the other line. “Hello? Henry, are you okay?” The others turned to her in surprise and she set the phone on loudspeaker. “Hello?”
 
“Well, he’s not dead.” She recognized the voice and it didn’t belong to Henry.
 
“Joon, what’s happening? What did you do to him?” Amber shouted in frustration. “Come see me if you want to get Henry back. We’ll meet at the docks in an hour.”
 
“Matsuka made a wise decision. You have him to thank for your man’s precious life.” Her eyebrows furrowed together in confusion and she heard Sulli in the background, barking for the men back at the residence to enter the room with whatever means.
 
“I will find you and kill you!” Victoria yelled, her gaze burning with anger and hate. Krystal pulled her aside and wrapped her arms around her trembling body, comforting the older woman with whispers by her ear. “In an hour.” He reminded and ended the call.
 
“Matsuka’s dead.”
 
The room fell silent. No one could believe what they had just heard as Sulli asked for a confirmation. “We broke into the room and found Matsuka with his stomach sliced open. He had his phone next to him but the line’s dead.”
 
“Matsuka killed himself so that Henry could live.” Amber said upon realizing what Joon had meant about thanking Matsuka. “Joon must have threatened him with Henry’s life.”
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“So, this is how your revenge ends.” Henry winced when he moved his wounded leg closer to him. “You kill the man who killed your parents. What do you feel? Pride? Joy?” He added sarcastically while staring at the man by the boat wheel.
 
“Nothing. I feel nothing.” Joon stared blankly into the dark sea. He expected himself to feel relieved that he had finally accomplished the task that he and his brother had set out to do in avenging for their family’s misfortune. But all he felt was emptiness.
 
“You don’t deserve her. It’s clear that Amber’s the one who’s sacrificing the most in the relationship.” Henry was taken aback by the sudden change in topic and hissed. “You don’t have the right to talk about us.” Joon hit the wheel in frustration and got down to Henry’s level, eyeing him with equal hatred.
 
“I have all the right to do so. She’s the woman that I love.” Joon hissed. “Being with you, she always has to be alert and constantly lie to keep her past from the others so that it won’t affect you. Do you think it’s easy?”
 
“I know! I know what she has to go through.” Henry raised his voice and he would have tackled him to the ground if it weren’t for his injured leg. “But you.. why can’t you let go of her? Do you think what you’ve done is a show of love for her? By hurting people that means a whole world to her?” Henry grew more furious as he thought about what Joon had done.
 
“Kibum meant so much to her, much more than I am to her.” Henry knew the history and bond that the two shared together, which wasn’t something that could be replaced.
 
“It wasn’t my fault!” Joon shouted. He flinched and pressed a hand over his eyes, wiping away the angry tears. “I had to do what it takes to finish the task.”
 
“Do you see the difference between you and I?” Henry asked evenly, trying to control his temper from rising.
 
“You’re willing to forsake everything, including her, to accomplish your revenge.” He watched Joon release his grip on him and fell back against the wooden floor, his expression unreadable.
 
“She won’t forgive you for what you’ve done.”
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Let me speak to him.” She pleaded to Victoria who didn’t like the idea of confronting him. “Please.”
 
Amber, that man is not worth your time. We should just eliminate him from afar and extract Henry.” Victoria stopped the car by the side of the dirt road and got down. She walked to the edge of the hill to study the dock situated below before selecting her perch.
 
“Unni, please let me talk to him.” Amber watched her bring out the case from the backseat and Victoria began assembling the rifle while taking occasional glances at her watch.
 
“Please.” Victoria stopped what she was doing and sighed.
 
“I will not hesitate to shoot if the situation requires it.” Victoria told her sharply. “Go. It’s time.”
 
Amber didn’t know what made her do it. During the entire ride to the docks, she couldn’t keep Krystal’s words out of her head.
 
“If we strip away all the complexities that surround us, we’re not any better than he is. We’re all hypocrites for condemning his actions.”
 
Amber parked the car under a tree and waited inside. She scanned the deserted marina and glanced towards the hills where Victoria is watching her. She leaned back into the headrest and closed her tired eyes when Victoria’s voice sounded in her earpiece. “They’re here.”
 
Joon jumped onto the dock and strode towards land, noticing the black Range Rover waiting under a tree. Victoria looked into the sniper scope and followed him closely, her finger hovering over the trigger.
 
“Where is Henry?” Amber demanded. She noticed the dark spots of blood at the bottom of his jeans and gritted her teeth. Joon followed her gaze and paused. “He’s fine.” He answered softly.
 
Amber turned her attention back to him and found him on the verge of breaking down. He took a step towards her and she saw his watery gaze as he stared into her eyes. Joon thought about what would have happened if Donghae had accomplished the revenge instead of him. Maybe she won’t be looking at him right now like a stranger.
 
“My parents and brother are dead, and I have no friends.” Joon dropped his head, unable to look at her any longer.
 
He was ashamed.
 
Guilty.
 
Confused.
 
Lost.
 
Joon doesn’t know what he should do anymore. “I have no one else but you.”
 
“I don’t need your love.” Joon paused, his nose stinging as he held back from crying. “I just want us to go back to what we used to be. Friends.” He took another step forward but she moved back, shaking her head at him.
 
“I can understand that you wanted revenge for your family but we’re on different sides now.” Amber stared woefully in his direction. You’re always harping that Henry and I are from different worlds but the both of us,” She gestured to Joon and herself. “We aren’t any more different than that.”
 
“How do you expect me to accept you after what you’ve done to us all?” She asked softly. Joon tried to say something, hoping to change her mind but he could think of nothing.
 
“Where is he?” Amber asked again. They shared a long gaze before he looked away, his gaze on the yacht that she saw him alight from. “Thank you.”
 
 Joon bit his lips in hesitation and caught her hand when she walked pass him. “Will y-you at least forgive me?” He whispered, tightening his grip when she tried to pull her hand away. “Just between the two of us?”
 
Victoria tried to communicate with Amber but the latter must have taken out her earpiece so all she could do was watched the scene from afar. She grew tense at the physical confrontation between Amber and Joon, and slides her finger over the trigger.
 
Amber pushed his hand away but he caught her again, dragging her away from the direction of the yacht. “Amber, please. I’m sorry.” Joon pleaded while tugging onto her arm and she hit him profusely to release her. Amber looked around in alarm when he fell forward on his knees, screaming in pain.
 
Victoria followed him through the scope and fired. She was angry and sad that she couldn’t protect Nichkhun and she vowed not to let that mistake robbed her of a loved one again. She quivered as the image of Nichkhun’s dead body in the morgue flooded through her mind and she pulled the trigger again.
 
Amber finally realised what was happening but she was too late as another round of bullets hit Joon in the square of his back. “Stop!” She waved her hands and jumped in front of Joon.
 
Joon yelled through clenched teeth while he squirmed on the ground in the growing pool of his own blood. Amber knelt by his side and he turned to her with frightened eyes. “Am I dying?” His voice quivered.
 
Joon looked down at his chest and pressed a trembling hand over his wound in a futile attempt to stop the bleeding. He shuddered, tears rolling down his cheeks while he applied pressure to his other bleeding wound.
 
“I’m s-sorry.” Joon said, Amber couldn’t help but cry silently and she looked over his fatal wounds.
 
His lips trembled.
 
He tried to hold back his words but failed as he turned to her with a panic-stricken gaze, his cheeks wet from his tears. “I’m scared.” The words escaped from his lips almost breathlessly. “I-I’m scared of d-dying.” It pained her to watch him live through his final moments as his eyes darted back and forth, afraid of death as it came to collect him.
 
Soon, his lips began to lose its colour and his eyelids fluttered uncontrollably. Joon struggled to keep them open while muttering over and over again. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” His voice became softer at each passing moment until she couldn’t hear it any longer.                                
 
“Joon?” His eyes finally fluttered close and his body was no longer quivering. Amber furiously wiped away her tears that wouldn’t stop flowing and shook his limp body. She took his hand and wrapped her warm hands around his cold ones. “Joon-ah?”
 
Amber laid her forehead over their hands and her shoulders trembled as she wailed at the loss of a friend whom she once treasured.