Chapter 28

Zero Gravity

 

She took a sip from the champagne flute and the corner of her lips lifted into a smile as Krystal boyfriend with the help of Sulli. Amber sniggered from afar at the helpless him and shrugged her shoulders along with a what-can-I-do look when he looked over for help.
 
The excitement within the wedding tent escalated when the glowing bride took the stage, smiling at the women huddling below the stage, eyes fixed on the bouquet in her hands. Amber set down her drink at her cue to leave and buttoned her suit jacket before stepping out of the tent. Without her knowledge, the bouquet thrown by the bride landed where she stood earlier.
 
She wrapped her arms around her body tightly and turned her face in the direction of the wind to stop her hair from whipping around her face.
 
“I see a future in us. We’d have kids, they’ll grow up and leave home, and we’ll see each other change, our black hair turns to white, and we’d live in a home away from the city.”
 
“But I can’t.” Her words were lost under the howling winds and she swiped the back of her hand across her cheek, blinking rapidly to keep the tears back. Amber the locket that he’d given to her and cracked it open.
 
“What are you doing out here?” The sudden presence startled her and the straps of her heels slipped pass her fingers.
 
Joon stoop to retrieve her shoes from the sand and she took the opportunity to study him. Her eyes travelled down his high nose bridge to its pointed tip, his lips and his well-defined jawline. “You’re a handsome man.”
 
“Thank you.” He smiled. “I’m surprised you only realized it now.”
 
“I never mentioned it doesn’t mean I’m unaware of it.” Amber took her shoes from him and turned out to face the sea. “I’m surprised that you’re here.”
 
“I’ve been thinking about it. My brother’s all I got. He was my everything.” Joon crossed his arms and followed her gaze. “Now that he’s gone, I’m kinda lost.”
 
“You’re not alone, you have us.” She closed her eyes to enjoy the feeling of the wind whipping her hair around. “You don’t have to leave the team.” The man beside her remained silent.
 
“We could use an extra hand.” Amber added, sweeping a hand across her face to keep her hair from obstructing her sight. “I’m not taking no as an answer.” She winked. “I hope to see you on board the next meeting.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“A second!” The loud rap on the door surprised her and she tripped over her own feet as she struggled with her dress. “.” She pulled at the zipper forcefully and heard the dreadful tear of fabric. This time, impatient knocking filled the room.
 
“Come in.” Henry opened the connecting door and stepped into her hotel room, raising his eyebrows at her. “Why are you backed against the wall?” Amber smiled weakly and forced herself closer to the wall when he approached her.
 
“Stop!” Her outstretched hands prevented him from coming any closer and her cheeks grew redder under her light make up. “Can you get Krystal for me?”
 
“They’ve already left. That’s the reason I came over because we’re the last ones.” Henry rested his hands on his hips and sighed. “What do you need her for?”
 
“The zipper’s stuck.” Henry glanced at her high collar sleeveless dress and motioned for her to turn around but she remained unmoving. “Hurry.” He sighed.
 
Amber blinked rapidly at the gold patterned wallpaper, her heart was hammering against her chest and her senses were on high alert as she waited for him to zip her up.
 
The zipper ended just below the two dimples on her lower back. He let out a pent up breath and gripped the zipper with a hand pressed on her back. “Can you it in for a second? I’m afraid of tearing the fabric.”
 
Amber’s eyes darted back and forth before squeezing them shut when his knuckles grazed her bare skin while carefully pulling the zipper. He deliberately ran a knuckle along her spine as the zipper close up from behind its course.
 
He rested both hands on her hips and his lips found the place below her ear. She rolled her head back on his shoulder and pulled his hands around her, resting them on her abdomen as she enjoyed the intimate moment.
 
“We should get going.” Amber sighed and turned around in his embrace. “Come on.” Henry held onto her firmly. “We’re only getting started.”
 
“You were the one banging down my door saying that we’re late.” Her eyes were fixated on his lips. “Fine, just one last kiss.” Henry dipped his head to capture her lips and a hand held her waist firmly, pulling her body against his.
 
Amber crossed her wrists behind his neck and her body swayed along with his before he picked her up and placed her on the bed. He hovered over her and smiled when she giggled and pulled him closer by his neck tie. “At the rate that this is going, we might as well forgo the dinner.” She hugged his head as he lavished her neck with kisses.
 
“Sounds like a good idea.” He said. She surprised him with her swiftness as he was on his back with her atop him, straddling his abdomen. “I wished to stay but I’d rather keep my head. Unni will kill me if I skipped the dinner.” She slapped his hands from sneaking down her back. “Hey, hands off the .”
 
“You’re mine, so that ,” Henry held her bottom firmly and stole a kiss from her. “Belongs to me as well.” Amber rolled her eyes and got off him. “You’re lucky you’re the boyfriend. Or else, I’d make sure that you’re your family’s last generation.”
 
 
~~
 
 
“What happened?” Victoria turned to her new husband who was silent after the short phone call. “My mentor was killed while on duty. His funeral will be held tomorrow.”
 
She saw the conflict in his eyes and rested a gloved hand over his and leaned into him which elicited cheers from the wedding guests. “You should go.” He covered his hand over hers and whispered urgently. “But we set off for our honeymoon tonight and isn’t it a taboo in the Chinese culture to attend a funeral during the wedding period?”
 
“I know he means a lot to you. Our trip can be delayed, it’s not like Jejudo will disappear in a day.” Victoria smiled. “And besides, I’m not superstitious. We’re in the twenty first century.”
 
“But—”
 
“You should go to the funeral. We can set off to Seoul after the dinner if you wish.” Nichkhun found himself relieved to have found someone like her and she caressed his cheek lovingly. “Let’s satisfy our audience, shall we?” Victoria tapped his nose playfully.
 
Henry cheered along with the crowd for the long awaited kiss between the couple and the room erupted in laughter to someone’s quick witted comment, ‘Took you long enough to do that.’
 
He turned to Amber, his hand traveling from his lap to hers and firmly grasped her thigh. “Let’s get out of here.”
 
“Can we leave after the dessert’s served? I haven’t had those red bean pancakes for so long.” Amber pouted, not realizing his hand moving along her leg suggestively. “Please?” He decided to cut the chase since she was oblivious to his actions. “Let’s resume what we left off earlier.”
 
Amber’s breath got caught in when she finally understood the passes he’d been making at her throughout dinner. Her mind became entirely focused on the hand at her hip before it travelled across her abdomen. “What do you say?”
 
“I’d say let’s have dessert.” She gulped and turned her attention to the newly arrived dish on the table. He poked her waist, nearly causing the piece of pancake to drop if she hadn’t tightened her grip on the chopsticks in time.
 
“Did I just get turn down because of dessert?” He furrowed his eyebrows in disbelief and choked on the sizzling piece that she’d just shoved into his mouth. “Yes, because this thing is awesome.” Amber savoured the dessert with her eyes closed in pure bliss and her lips clean while Henry downed his drink in attempt to cool his burned tongue.
 
               
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“I’m sorry for your loss.” Nichkhun grasped the elder woman’s hand firmly while her other hand squeezed his arm. “Thank you for coming. My husband was very fond of you. He always tells me stories of his best student.”
 
“I’m glad that you can make it. There’s something I’ve found that I think my husband wishes you to have.” Nichkhun followed the woman to the study where she handed him a bundle of thick envelopes with his name written on it.
 
He untied a stack when he was in the privacy of his car and pulled out the contents. His eyes fell on a man’s photo and his profile identified him as Lee Choisik. “He was murdered in his home along with his wife during a robbery fourteen years ago.
 
“He contacted me, Hong Daeho, insisting that I meet up with him on Tuesday night, 4 April 1998 because I was the officer in charge of the blackmail case involving Matsuka. I waited until sunrise but no one turned up. I thought he’d second thoughts about surrendering until I learnt of his death later that day.”
 
 
Nichkhun went through his mentor’s statements and flipped through different reports that were all linked by a similar person. “Matsuka.”
 
 
“Lee Choisik is one of the financial officers at Matsuka Corp. He has sensitive information that can implicate Matsuka.” Nichkhun scanned through the ten page long statement. “He’s a vital witness and I’ve assured him that his sentence could be lightened if he surrenders. But they got to him before he could come to us.”
 
“He has warned me of Matsuka’s illegal methods of discarding liabilities and the death of the husband and wife is not merely a robbery gone wrong. It is much more than that.”
 
 
“Sunbaenim must have wanted me to continue the investigation.” Nichkhun kept the documents and shoved them under his seat before driving off in the direction of the police station.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Lee Changsun has an older brother named Lee Changjae.” Luna pushed her glasses higher up her nose but the sweat only causes it to slide down again. She looked over her shoulder at the distant noise of the creaky door closing and the chatter between two men.
 
She brought out a pack of gum and aimed it at the pages, capturing images of the documents to be reviewed later. She looked back again at the approaching voices and hastened her actions as she turned the next page, almost tearing it apart.
 
“Hey! What are you doing?” Luna pocketed the camera and turned to them with a smile on her face while she shut the file drawer with the kick of her foot. “This is a restricted area.”
 
“Where’s your access pass?” The shorter of the two men demanded and they barricaded her only escape route.
 
“I have it.” Luna chuckled and reached inside her jacket while the men eyed her cautiously. “Just give me a second.” She looked from the corner of her eyes, calculating her moves and smiled sheepishly as she dug deeper. “Sorry, there are too many things in here.” She pulled out a taser gun.
 
The bodies of the men lay next to each other as Luna stepped over them and sauntered out of the room.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“We have one last job before the holidays.” Amber grinned at the cheering around her office and it switched to an encouraging smile when she met Joon’s eyes.
 
Thank you. He read her lips, nodding in response and mouthed back. You’re welcome.
 
“One of the Matsuka’s offshore accounts was frozen due to an impending investigation by the local police. The territorial gang is seeking out the informer which is suspected to be among them. So, two teams will be on different tasks.”
 
“Krystal, Joon, Luna and Kibum will hijack the bank and extract cash from the frozen bank account to another secure offshore account. Sulli and I will meet up with the gang regarding the informer.” Amber handed the extraction group the necessary information and clapped her hands. “Okay, that’s it people.”
 
“And we’re off to Hong Kong!” Krsytal cheered enthusiastically and received a rap on her head. “Shopping comes later missy.” Kibum clucked his tongue amid the laughter as they exited her office.
 
“Ssul, could you send Sungjae in?” Sulli stayed behind as the others filtered out around her. “Sungjae?” She furrowed her eyebrows together questioningly. “Who’s that?”
 
“, I forgot to introduce him.” Amber slapped a hand over her forehead and peeked out of her office. “Yah, get in here! Where did you run off to?” A tall man entered the room and received a whack to the head. “I told you wait outside my door.”
 
“I’m sorry, Amber agashi.” He said which earned him another whack from her. “And I told you not to call me agashi!” Amber clucked her tongue and he straightened up again before her. “Yes, Amber-shi.” Sulli watched the exchange between them and found herself drawn to the young man.
 
“This is Sulli.” The man bowed and kept his eyes on the ground while she continues studying him. “Sulli, this is Sungjae. He’s my apprentice.” Amber explained and headed to her desk with him trailing after her.
 
“If there’s anything that you’d wish to know and I’m unavailable, he’s the one you hunt down.” Sulli gave up trying to get him to look up and turned her attention to Amber who gave her a teasing look. “And if there’s nothing else, start packing. We’re leaving ahead of the other team.” Sulli nodded and snuck a last glance at the newcomer.
 
Sungjae lifted his head discreetly and watched her head out of the room before looking back to his feet. Amber smiled to herself at the two young people’s reactions of each other.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“We’ve found the informer but he wouldn’t admit his doings.” A man in his forties with a bad limp in his right leg told her as he guided her through the warehouse by the dock. “Who is he?” Amber questioned. They stopped outside a container that was guarded by two armed men who had unlocked the door upon seeing them approaching.  
“He’s a new recruit, admitted only six months ago.” He said and led them pass the guards. “Ngo dei yup zho zi hao, so mun.” (Lock the doors once we’re in.) He instructed his men.
 
“Ka Zhun, hei san!” (Ka Zhun, wake up!) The older man threw the bucket of water at a young man tied to a chair who had fallen to his side on the ground. His eyelids fluttered in an attempt to open his bruised eyes and Amber held a hand to stop the older man from taking another step towards the injured man.
 
“Help him up.” Sungjae nodded at her command and returned the chair to an upright position amid the groans from the injured. The man named Ka Zhun raised his head at the sound of her approaching footsteps and stared into the space next to her.
 
“Ngo hai li dou.” (I’m here.) He corrected the direction of his head following the sound of her soft voice. “Hai mai yao yan zhi chi lei tong chai lo tou siu sekk?” (Were you instructed by someone to report to the police?) Her question hit a sensitive nerve and it riled up the older man. “Lei me yi si? Yao kei ta gwai tauh jai?” (What are you talking about? There are other informers?)
 
“Ngo hm hie gwai tauh jai.” (I’m not the informer.) He breathed heavily and winced at the pain as he struggled to speak. “Ngo hm hie.. Ngo bei yan yun wong.” (I’m not.. I’m wronged.) He wheezed and broke into a coughing fit.
 
Amber watched blood dribble from the corner of his mouth and her eyes ran over his bare chest that was covered in shades of purple from the constant torture prior to their meeting. She pursed her lips and stood tall, turning her back to the injured man. “Release him.”
 
“What?”
 
“He’s not the informer.” Amber stated and turned to her female companion. “What do you think?”
 
“I believe he’s not too.” Sulli said without taking her eyes off the man who had fallen back into unconsciousness. “He just entered the triad! He’s without loyalty!” The man limped towards her and his face into hers. “He’s definitely the informer!”
 
Sungjae stepped between them and held Sulli behind him, his voice low and his steely eyes locked on the man’s. “Mind your manners.” The man turned around in fury, pointing his finger at Amber who remained composed about the situation. “I will not tolerate this behaviour!”
 
“This is my territory! How dare you question the feasibility of the truth that is right before your eyes?” The man watched her approached him with discontent and held the gaze she imposed on him.
 
“I highly suggest you choose your next words carefully.” Amber said evenly, her voice never betraying her stoic expression. “If you fail to amend the problem, everything that you own will be gone. You’d be rendered powerless and your enemies will treat you nothing more than a despicable insect that will be silenced in an instant.”
 
“Remember what you have now is all provided by Matsuka.” The man watched her circled him from the corners of his eyes as she counted off her fingers.
 
“Influence. Wealth. Authority.”
 
“We both know you’re too greedy to let any of those slip by your fingers.” A vein twitched visibly against the skin on his neck as he glared at her with his jaw in a tight clench.
 
“A newbie would never have access to such sensitive information. Only trusted, high ranking members would know about the triad’s involvement with Matsuka.” Amber discussed with them once they were alone in the car.
 
“Personal vengeance could be the reason for this issue.” Sulli laid her head back against the headrest and closed her eyes when a voice asked for permission to speak. “Go on.” Amber nodded for him to continue.
 
“Maybe it’s not personal vengeance.” He watched the two women perk up at his comment through the back view mirror and turned around in the driver’s seat. “That person might be a sleeping informer as he climbed the ranks gradually while earning trust at the same time. That way, no one will suspect him.”
 
“That’s brilliant.” He gave Sulli a curt nod before turning away to hide the blush that had crept onto his cheeks. “Yes, that’s a valid presumption.” Amber patted his head from above the headrest in front of her dotingly. “But it’s too early to assume it. We’ll observe the memb—” The caller ID begged for her attention and she held up an index finger. “One minute.”
 
They listened to her speak to the person on the other line and she nodded multiple times even though the person wasn’t before her, a habit that can never be shaken off. She glanced at them apprehensively and ended the call after one last nod. “That was Matsuka.”
 
“He has urgent business to attend to in Tokyo and I’m wanted by his side. I’ve to be on the next flight out of Hong Kong.” She and Sulli exchange a long gaze before the elder gave her instructions. “I want both of you to stay behind and take care of this business.”
 
“Ssul, the reason I brought you with me is to assess your handling of this situation. This is part of your evaluation.” Amber gave her an encouraging smile and Sulli returned it with what she hoped for was a confident one. “Sungjae will assist you if there’s a need.” She turned to her apprentice and rapped his head lightly. “This is your chance to learn from the best.”
 
“Yes, Amber-shi.” Sungjae nodded and she clucked her tongue disapprovingly, turning the woman next to her. “Ssul, this boy is too stiff. He’s no fun.” The younger woman merely laughed as she and the subject of discussion shared a quick smile when their eyes met in the back view mirror.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Welcome miss, how may I assist you today?” The well-dressed young lady lowered her shades and scrutinized the bank employee who fidgeted under her snooty gaze. “I’d like to open an account.” She answered curtly and looked around the bank which was busy attending to the crowd who had come in during lunch break.
 
“Yes, if you’d take a number and have a s—”
 
“Do I look like a customer who receives this kind of service?” The lady glared at the employee in disdain and scoffed. “Looks like this bank isn’t up to my liking as well.” She made a move to leave but the manager who’d been observing their exchange, stepped in her way and smiled apologetically.
 
“Please excuse the employee’s lack of sense and allow me to you to the premium section.” He led the way but not before shooting a stern gaze at the employee.
 
“I’m sorry you’d have to experience that, Miss?”  The manager turned to her expectantly as they rode the elevator to the third floor where the procedures for premium clients were handled. “Jung.”
 
“So what service are you looking for, Miss Jung?” The elevator arrived at the floor and she stepped out with the babbling manager beside her.
 
The third floor’s interior was nothing like the previous setting with the most obvious difference being the number of people. Here, the blinking numbers on monitors were absent as were the waiting lines. The men and women sat in expensive furniture and were attended to by servers who provided them with drinks of their choice.
 
“I’d like to open an account.”
 
“Yes, I’ll arrange someone to attend to you soon. Please have a seat.” She received a flute from a server and played with her earring in disinterest.
 
“Oppa, what are the instructions?” Kibum burrowed his into the bean bag at the back of a delivery truck, situated in the basement of the bank. “They’re on their way to you. Once you’re at the counter, plug in the flash drive that will allow me to enter their database.”
 
Gunshots rang out when Krystal was escorted to a counter and everyone fell to the ground with their arms hugging their heads amid the burst of screams and shouts. “Everyone will do as we say! If anyone of you makes a move, you’d be dead before you know it!” The man shouted from behind of his ski mask.
 
His partner, a person of a smaller frame approached Krystal’s counter and pointed the gun at the bank employee. “You’re coming with me to the bank vault.”
 
“The alarm’s triggered. We have ten minutes to wrap things up.” Kibum’s voice sounded in the three accomplices’ earpieces.
 
Krystal inserted the flash drive discreetly when Luna dragged the employee away from his desk and resumed to her position with her arms over her head. “Flash drive’s in.” She said.
 
Kibum began the transfer of Matsuka’s funds to an alternative offshore account and moved to the next laptop to disable the financial institution’s security system. “The transfer time is five minutes at tops.”
 
Joon guarded the group of people huddled together by the refreshments with his rifle aimed at them and glanced at Krystal’s position which remained obstructed by a potted plant.  However, he heard a rustle of clothes and ducked just as a fist whizzed pass where his head had been seconds earlier.
 
He jumped out of the way and knocked out the clumsy man with the of his rifle, sending him into a sprawling mess on the ground. “If you can’t fight, don’t take your chances.” Joon warned the others who quickly brought the unconscious man back into the safety of their group.
 
“Joon, Luna, get ready to leave.” Luna left the unconscious bank employee by the door of the vault and picked up her rifle. “Transfer’s completed.” Krystal pocketed the flash drive and watched as Joon and Luna dashed for the elevator.
 
People clapped and cheered at the sound of approaching police sirens as Krystal made her way pass them and noticed the manager, who looked as if his soul had left his body. “I don’t think this is the right bank for me either.” She pushed the empty flute into his trembling hands.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
The moment she walked in she commanded everyone’s attention with her presence. The previously chatter filled mah-jong parlour turned silent as eyes followed her to the table in the middle of the room, where three men barricaded her from approaching any further.
 
“What are you doing here?” The man with the bad limp asked without looking up from his tiles as he contemplated his next move. “I want to know who caught the informer, the one who was released.” Sulli looked at the guards and continued. “There is no need for you to hide behind your men. Tell them to stand down, you’re safe from me.”
 
He threw down his tile on the table in anger at the woman who dared give him orders. He is the triad leader and everyone treats him with respect but his pride was wounded by these two women who addressed him without formalities and disregards his role in search of the informer.
 
His humiliation was felt by his fellow players who were high ranked triad members and they nodded for the men to take care of her. Sulli’s eyes flickered from one man to the other and held her arm to stop Sungjae from taking a step forward. “Stay.” She ordered.
 
“Chan Wing-Yan.” She called out his full name, eliciting gasps from around the room as they watched the woman break rule after rule. She is a woman and therefore has no say in these affairs yet she crossed another line by speaking without formalities. “Amber has made it clear to you. You shall cooperate with us lest you want to retain your status around here.”
 
“Amber isn’t here, who are you to be making these decisions!” Wing-Yan stormed towards her and she stood her ground even though she was feeling sick from the pressure she was in. “I’m representing Matsuka.” Sulli shared the same eye level as him and continued on boldly. “Whatever I say is his word.”
 
The muscle in his jaw twitched and he turned his back to her, heading back to his seat. “Finish her.”
 
The three burly men advanced at her simultaneously and she jumped out of the way just as a fist came flying her way. She reached down the side of her boots and pulled out two daggers. The first knife stabbed the man nearest to her in the heart and she threw the second at the next man, injuring him at his right shoulder.
 
The last man standing was surprised at the woman’s swiftness in taking down the two men who were twice her size on her own. He looked up to find her smirking at him and it infuriated him as he charged at her.
 
He grew more agitated at her ability to dodge his attacks and grabbed the nearest chair, smashing it on the ground. He chose among the broken pieces of wood, a slim piece with a jagged end which was sharp enough to stab through a person.
 
His eyes darkened with malice, his lips widened into a smug smile as he approached her like a lion circling in on its prey. “You don’t have any more weapons to protect yourself, little girl?” He mocked, watching her back away from him while searching around the place.
 
Sungjae caught her eyes and she shook her head at him. He remained at his position and observed the impending fight that would have ended earlier if she had allowed him to intervene.
 
Sulli led the man around in a circle, her eyes momentarily flicking over to the dead man; her actions went unnoticed by her opponent who was adamant on proving the conceited young girl wrong. “Come on, show me what you’ve got.” The man sneered but the smugness was soon wiped off his face as he looked down at the pain shooting up from his chest.
 
She had pulled out the bloodied knife from the dead man and threw it at him, meeting its target where the person’s heart is. Sulli went up to him and set a foot on his wound, causing more blood to gush out as she leaned down on her knee.
 
“Never underestimate a person because of her .” She said lowly, watching him squirm beneath her and tilted her head as she dipped lower, her fingers closing around the knife’s handle. “I’ve shown you what I’ve got.” Sulli looked into his eyes and drove the knife deeper. Blood gurgled from his mouth as his eyes flickered behind her and a cynical smile form over his lips. “Watch out.”
 
Sulli rolled out of the way and saw the man with an injured shoulder plunged the knife down at the man on the ground. She would have been stabbed in the back if she hadn’t heard the shuffling behind her.
 
The man looked around unsteadily and charged towards Sulli upon setting his eyes on her. Sulli merely stepped out of the way and watched his stumble in an attempt to stop himself. She wasted no time and spun around in deliverance of a triple spin kick, causing him to crumple into a heap on the ground.
 
Sulli reached behind her and produced a gun, alarming the head of the triad when she fired a shot at the mah-jong table. “Now, tell me what I want to know.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Kibum placed the baggage in the trunk of his Maserati and entered his car to find her in the passenger seat.
 
“You don’t seem surprised.” Luna stated. He said nothing and the car peeled out of the airport parking. “I knew you were following me when we should’ve gone our separate ways after passing the Hong Kong immigration.”
 
“What is it?” Kibum asked without taking his eyes off the road. Their relationship has never been the same since the day Luna told him that she still loves Joon. She felt the distance between them growing further as he kept pushing her away. His words were always curt and lacked warmth.
 
“It’s about the computer at the house Donghae left behind for Joon—”
 
“I thought we’ve already talked about it.” He sighed.
 
“No, listen to me.” Luna added quickly. “I managed to look into it before the files became corrupted and a particular name caught my attention. Lee Changsun.” She looked to him and received no response to which she supposed is a sign for her to continue.
 
“I searched the name and it brought me to an orphanage. Lee Changsun has an older brother named Lee Changjae. Their records showed that they entered fourteen years ago.” Kibum appeared to be interested in the topic and she smiled at her accomplishment. “The family, who lived in the home that Donghae bought, left behind two sons who are exactly the same ages as Joon and Donghae.”
 
“What are you trying to say?” Kibum pulled the car to the emergency lane and faced her. “That Lee Joon is Lee Changsun and they’re living different lives and there’s more to their name switch?”
 
“Exactly.” Luna felt the need to prove her speculation when he rolled his eyes and looked out at the busy street. “The most important thing is that in their orphanage records, a page was missing and can you guess which page that is?”
 
“No, I don’t.” Kibum said patiently and turned back to her. “It’s the page that would’ve proved Lee Changsun is Joon – the information about his parents.”
 
“That is the only page that’s missing from the records.” Luna brought out papers from a hidden compartment in her bag and shoved it into his hands. “The murdered owner of the house is Lee Choisik but he didn’t turn up in any of the searches. It’s like he never existed after his death.”
 
“So what if you can prove that Lee Choisik is the father of Joon and that Joon is Lee Changsun? Kibum glanced through the paper and handed it back to her. “But you have to agree with me that these can’t be all coincidences.” Luna argued.
 
“Fine.” He closed his eyes and rests his head against his palm by the window. “Say that I do agree with you, what difference does it make?” Luna made a move to retort him but she was silenced by his next action. “Get down.”
 
“What?” She looked outside the window. They were in the emergency lane, on a bridge, in the middle of a busy highway. “You’re kidding me.”
 
“No, I’m not. I’ve a splitting headache and here I am, listening to your talk about the identities of people that are none of my concern, nor it is yours.” Kibum reached across her and opened the passenger door. “So get down.”
 
An intense gaze was shared between them as both were fuming for different reasons; Kibum because the pounding in his head was growing stronger and Luna because of his ignorance about her findings. Luna was the first to turn away, grabbing her bag as she stepped out of his car.
 
The door shut close behind her and the Maserati sped away, leaving her alone on the bridge where she fought to balance herself against the strong winds.
 
She didn’t harbour any ill feelings for him and understands that he wants her nowhere near Joon but this issue is different. Her gut feeling is telling her that there’s more to the name change and Lee Choisik is in the center of it.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Yunho looked up at the rapid rapping on his door and called for the person to enter as he went back to his paperwork. He was taken aback when a stack of files were dropped on his desk, and quickly held down his paperwork which almost flew away from the gust.
 
“I’m so sorry, sir!” His subordinate apologized at the mess he had made and proceeded to help pick up the fallen papers. “It’s alright. Did you get what I asked you too?”
 
“Yeah, the department has finally finished the sorting of old records and the information are now in the system.” The man pushed up his glasses and wiped the sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand. “That’s a lot of records from the nineties. Thank god our department isn’t in charge of the eighties. I heard it’s twice the amount of what we’ve processed. It’s insane how—”
 
“Did you get the files that I’ve requested?” Yunho cut off the man’s excessive babbling and awkwardness overcame the latter upon realising his behaviour. “Yes, I did sir but Nichkhun came by during records keeping and wanted a look at the files. I’d get them to you as soon as he’s done.”
 
“What!” Yunho stood from behind his desk and towered over the man who was trembling in fright. The superior that he knows never raised his voice at his subordinates no matter the situation; that’s why everyone got along well with him. But the man before him right now no longer has the gentle gaze that makes people feel at ease. They were now dark from anger and his lips had formed a thin line in displeasure.
 
“He said you gave him clearance to view those files.” He stumbled when Yunho bumped into him as he stormed out of the office. Yunho found the man in question in the records room going through the folders and snapping several pages with his phone before placing arranging the files neatly.
 
“You’ve no access to these files.” Nichkhun turned around in alarmed but his expression matched Yunho’s cold one upon recognizing his previous superior. “The last I checked, I’m still a police officer and that grants me the right to view them.” He bowed and turned to leave but Yunho held him back by the shoulder.
 
“These files are now under restricted access.” Yunho glowered at him as he repeated. “You have no access to them.” His eyes flickered down to his pocket where Nichkhun was gripping his phone tightly. “I’d have to confiscate your phone.”
 
“I have nothing on my phone.” Nichkhun crossed his arms and fixed his eyes on the older man, the tension between the men growing at each passing second. “Plus, there’s nothing worth to be classified. It’s merely a murder case from a robbery gone wrong from fourteen years ago.” He added, watching his ex-boss closely. “Involving the death of Lee Choisik, a financial officer at Matsuka Corporation.”
 
“It is the higher ups who determine the level of access, not you or I. I’m simply carrying out orders and you’re the one breaking them.”
 
“Who are the higher ups that you’re talking about?” Nichkhun stepped closer, his voice lowered to a whisper. “Are they the same the person who killed Han in the slums and let you live?”
 
Yunho remain unperturbed and smirked which caused Nichkhun to lashed out but the older man caught his fist in his hand and pushed him away. “That’s a loaded accusation, Nichkhun.” Yunho said. "If I were you, I’d stay out of this matter.”
 
“Or what? You’ll kill me?” Nichkhun barked.
 
“Know your place.” Yunho stepped out of the way and caught Nichkhun’s arm before he could throw another punch. He swung the younger man’s arm behind his back and pushed him against the wall with an arm on his neck, pinning his face on the cool surface. “It’s a pity that you don’t realise how lucky you are to have someone backing you.”
 
What is he talking about? Nichkhun’s eyebrows came together to form a frown. Someone is backing me? “You’re the traitor that the convict, Jaehoon, was talking about.” His frown disappeared and his eyes flickered to Yunho. “The acid attack that left him blind and mute – it wasn’t an accident.”
 
“Take my advice. Stay out of this. It’s not something for you to meddle.” Yunho’s voice in his ear sent chills down his spine. “You’re a smart guy. Go back to Busan and never return.” Nichkhun didn’t get the chance to question him when he fell into an unconscious heap on the ground at Yunho’s sudden touch on the pressure points at his neck.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
She made her way through the thick snow, paying no attention to the evidence of footprints trailing behind her and headed straight for the front door. She picked the lock and let herself in.
 
She wandered the empty house and wondered how it’d be with a family living there. This is Lee Changsun’s home. She climbed the stairs and her hand trailed along wooden handrail. Joon’s home.
 
Her feet stopped at the top of the stairs and looked down the hallways, contemplating her next moves before taking a step to the right where a lone door stands in the dark hallway. Random nails that decorated along the bare wall of the hallway were missing the photo frames of the broken family.  She reached out for the door knob and it swung open at her touch.
 
The room’s furniture was covered with white fabric to keep away the dust and the stark whiteness of the place was punctured by the vintage dresser, which was the only piece not concealed. She was reflected in the mirror as she stepped around the matching stool and sank into its cushioned seat.
 
“It must have been his mother’s.” She laid her hand on the mahogany wood, her eyes running over the intricately carved frame that encompassed the mirror. “It was my grandmother’s.” She nearly fell off the stool at his reflection in the mirror.
 
Joon was in his room when he heard the distinctive creak on the staircase and peeked through the door slit, only to find Luna a few feet away from him. He froze when her eyes swept over the place, and relaxed once more as she made her way to his parents’ bedroom.
 
“My mother got this from my paternal grandmother as a wedding gift.” Luna backed away from the dresser while he proceeded to sit on the bed.
 
“You’re Lee Changsun.” She stood by the closet and whispered. “Aren’t you?”
 
The room fell into a silence. Joon’s eyes never left hers and she stared into his, hoping to see the change of emotion that she was expecting. But nothing happened. She looked away and thought about earlier.
 
Maybe Kibum was right. I’m obsessed with the idea that somehow Lee Changsun is Joon. This all could be just some unexplainable coincidences. Luna gripped the sides of her shirt. “Nevermind. Just forge—”
 
“I am.”
 
Luna gasped. He walked away from the bed and stopped in front of her.
 
“I’m Lee Changsun.”
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
“Hey, let’s grab lunch.” Kibum pulled her away from her chair and pushed her towards the door, plucking her coat from its hanger on his way. “But I’m expecting someone right now.” Amber took the coat from him and returned it to its place.
 
“Okay. Are you expecting Matsuka?” He grabbed the coat again, much to her irritation as she snatched it from him. “No. But—”
 
“You can blow them off then. You’re the boss.” With a grin, he pulled the coat out of her grasp and dashed for the door. “Catch me if you can.” He cackled and nearly ran into a man, who had just entered the office.
 
“Punch him for me, will you?” Amber told the man who cast a glance at the shorter Kibum. She rolled her eyes when Kibum stuck his tongue at her and turned her attention to the man standing quietly at the door. “So what brings you here, Yunho?”
 
“Nichkhun is up to something.” This statement caught the full attention of the two who were bickering silently at each other. “What do you mean?” Kibum asked. Yunho turned to her for affirmation to continue and she gave him a nod.
 
“He was at the Seoul station today. Nichkhun went through Matsuka related cases that I’ve placed under restricted access.” She avoided Kibum’s anxious gaze – they both know the consequences of Nichkhun getting too near to the truth. “What did he view?”
 
“It was a fourteen year old case involving the death of a Matsuka Corporation employee. His name is Lee Choisik.” Kibum paused. He turned to Yunho as he conveyed his weekly report to Amber. “He was a senior financial officer.”
 
“I’ve heard of him.” Amber nodded and caught Kibum dazing into the distance, his face drained of colour. “Do you know why he’s onto that?”
 
“No.” Yunho answered curtly. “There’s one more thing. Nichkhun is aware that I’m the mole.”
 
Amber closed her eyes and dropped her head onto the desk. Her worst nightmare is now in motion – the fate of Nichkhun’s life and her word to Matsuka in return for sparing Nichkhun’s life the first time around.
 
“He had also seen something during our raid in the slums. However, I’m not sure what he knows.”
 
“This information shall never leave this room.” The police officer was dismissed and she ran her hands through her hair, her heart hammering intensely against her chest.  “We must keep this from Matsuka. If word gets to him, Nichkhun would be dead.”
 
“Yeah.” Kibum said absentmindedly. He stopped tapping his finger on his knee and looked to her. “What happened to Lee Choisik?”
 
“From what I heard from BoA unni, Lee Choisik had information that would implicate Matsuka for his sins and he intended to surrender to the police with it.”
 
“Hyori was ordered to retrieve the information and silence him.” Amber approached him and laid her hand on his shoulder. “Are you alright? You looked like you’ve seen a ghost.”
 
“It’s nothing.” Kibum shook his head and shot up from his seat. “I’ve to go.”
 
Lee Choisik. Kibum entered an empty room, a few doors down Amber’s office and locked the door behind him. He leaned his head back against the door, his eyes staring up at the ceiling as that afternoon’s conversation came back to him.
 
“The family, who lived in the home that Donghae bought, left behind two sons who are exactly the same ages as Joon and Donghae.”
 
“Lee Choisik.” The name escaped his lips.
 
“The murdered owner of the house is Lee Choisik but he didn’t turn up in any of the searches. It’s like he never existed after his death.”
 
“The most important thing is that in their orphanage records, a page was missing and can you guess which page that is?”
 
“The information about his parents.”
 
“This man called me, saying that Henry is Matsuka’s nephew and that there are plans to have him as the successor.” 
 
He shut his eyes and the mental image of the grainy camera footage from the ballroom incident appeared. He remembered Donghae’s raised gun at Henry.
 
“So what if you can prove that Lee Choisik is the father of Joon and that Joon is Lee Changsun?"
 
Kibum’s eyes snapped open and his legs almost gave way to the shocking realization. “That would mean the brothers are his children.”
 
Donghae’s raised gun at Henry.
 
“They’re back for revenge.”