Chapter 16

Zero Gravity
A week has since passed and Amber is now the new head of security as appointed by Matsuka. She was separated from the others and is constantly at Matsuka’s side wherever he goes. Although she’s not obliged to go on missions with the team, she wanted to. So, Matsuka permitted her and she now juggles two responsibilities. 

While the job is stressful, she does get a few benefits upon taking up the new position. Because she was expected to be within reach of Matsuka’s at all times, Amber was asked to move out of the mansion to live in the city. And so, she was offered various exclusive properties to choose, ranging from penthouses to service apartments to bungalows, which were all owned by Matsuka. After much thought, she had chosen a two bedroom townhouse that is a few minutes away from Matsuka’s residence and she was moving in today.

“Unni, this house is gorgeous.” Krystal pushed opened the waist high wrought iron gate and walked into the compound. She ran a hand above the flower bushes that were lined on either side of the cobblestone walkway that led up to the house. 

“Quit yakking and help with the moving.” Kibum edged passed her, carrying three vertically piled boxes. “You can admire the place after we unload the stuff from the cars.”

Yes, cars. They had driven to her new home in two Range Rovers that was laden with her belongings with one car solely dedicated to her wardrobe because Krystal didn’t want the clothes to mix with her other stuff. “Treat the clothes with respect.” She reasoned, rolling her eyes at them like they were too dumb to understand.

After spending almost three quarters of the hour on unloading the vehicles, they had a quick look around the house before making the place feel like home. Victoria marveled over the expansive and well equipped kitchen to which Amber swore she saw Victoria shuddered in delight. Joon and Kibum were not bothered about sniffing out the new house and set to work immediately, fixing up the electrical appliances.

They cleaned the place and put up decoration items that Krystal and Sulli had bought from their shopping spree the day before. Soon, everything was done and they were treated to Victoria’s house warming dinner which they decided to have in the backyard.

It was a clear night sky and the garden edges were sprinkled with fairy lights while two fires were started to keep them warm. “The fairy lights, whose idea was it?” Sulli asked before stuffing with grilled meat. 

“Me.” Joon raised his hand briefly and went back to his food. “Hmm, not bad.” Victoria commented while flipping the meat on the grill. “Good taste, nothing of the tacky kind. Unlike someone I know.”

“Nuna, it wasn’t that bad.” Kibum’s cheeks redden. “Trust me, it was. You had the place decorated with those flashy Christmas lights for my surprise birthday party.” 

“I remembered that!” Krystal shouted from across the picnic table. “I thought we had stepped into the wrong room if it weren’t for oppa standing the in middle of it shouting ‘Happy Birthday!’” She shuddered at the thought of it. “Never am I trusting you the job of decorating ever since.”

“Maybe, you can take lessons from Joon oppa.” Sulli and Kibum sunk lower into his seat. “I know I at stuff like these but let’s not forget your fail moments too.” He narrowed his eyes at Krystal. “You can’t even tell the difference between mega and kilo byte!” He childishly covered his ears with his hands while making noises to block out whatever Krystal was yelling at him.

“Amber, why aren’t you eating?” Joon nudged her and placed several pieces of meat on her plate. “You’re just staring into space. Are you sick?”

“No, I’m just feeling nostalgic.” The table quiet down and everyone focused on her. “It’s just that, we’ve been together for such a long time and now I’m living away from you all. It’s gonna be quiet here.”

“Don’t talk like we aren’t meeting ever again.” Kibum said, coughing to cover the crack in his voice. “I’ll come by often if that makes you feel better.” He assured her and himself, feeling sad too because they’ve known each other the longest. 

“Yeah, or you can visit us at the mansion.” Krystal suggested. “Or we can webcam too.” Sulli hugged her sister and leaned her head on her shoulder. “I’ll miss you.”

We’ll miss you.” Victoria corrected her and wiped the side of her eyes. “You’ll still see us when we work together on projects. I doubt we’ll be apart long.” 

“You won’t be missing me much.” Joon grinned at her. “What makes you think I won’t miss you too?” He was caught off guard by her serious answer. He was actually teasing her but he didn’t know that she had already grown accustomed of him. “You’ll see. It’s gonna surprise you.” His smile appeared again and he winked.

“Why am I like this?” Amber glanced at them bashfully. “It feels like I’m leaving the nest!” They shared a laugh and the previous heated banter returned as Kibum and Krystal hurled light hearted insults at each other. Amber looked down, putting a piece of meat into and chewed slowly. 

The house warming party continued until quite late as they chatted on and on until Joon had to fake snore to remind them of the time. “You didn’t have to do that,” Sulli swiped his arm and he flinched, holding onto his smarting arm. “Yah! If not, how would you guys take the cue that you’ve been yakking since six in the evening.” He held out his arm and pointed at his watch. “This is a record. Five hours of nonstop chatting.”

“Okay, okay. You guys head home. I’ll clean up the place.” They took turns hugging her and Amber was left to clear up the table. 

She was feeling bored and started playing a game of basketball by throwing the rubbish into the huge plastic bag at the end of the table. Amber closed an eye, aiming for the bag and launched the scrunched up ball of cling wrap. “Yes! Another point to me.” She giggled to herself and search for another object to throw. 

“That’s your idea of having fun?” 

She jumped in surprised and the paper cup missed the bag. “You’re still here?”

Joon walked to her while taking off his coat and draped it over one of the chairs before pushing his sleeves up to his elbows. “I felt a sense of pity and decided to help you out. After all, doing good things would bring good karma.” 

In fact, Joon had wanted to be alone with her but he couldn’t because the others were there and so, he had no choice but to wait until they left. He told the others that he wanted to help Amber with the cleaning and they left in one car, leaving him with the other. 

“Karma,” She scoffed. “I’m okay by myself. You can go home.” Amber pushed his hands away. “It’s already late.”

“Just let me help.” She sighed and shrugged her shoulders. “As you wish.” 

Both of them went to work, moving about silently and it took them less than half an hour to clean up the place. “See, it works faster with someone else to help you.”

“Yeah, yeah. Thank you.” Amber handed him a can of beer as they settled around the dying fire. “About what you said earlier,” She took a gulp and let out a relaxing sigh. “What is the surprise?”

“If I tell you, it wouldn’t be a surprise anymore, no?” Joon shook his head and laughed, taking a stick to rake through the glowing embers. “Patience, young one, you’ll soon know about it.” At his last rake, the flames returned. 

“I hate surprises.” She clucked her tongue at him. “Can’t you give me a hint?” She rubbed her hands together and held it in front of the fire. 

“Is it living or dead?” She narrowed her eyes. “You’re not gonna put a dead rat in my room again, are you?” She said, referring to the days when he first lived with them at the mansion.

“No.” Joon grinned. “It’s a living thing and you have daily interaction with it.” He threw the empty can into the garbage bag along with Amber’s and tied it up.

“Hmm, very mysterious.. what is it?” Amber entered the house after him. “I hate to admit.” She opened the front door for him and he walked passed her with two heavy bags of garbage. “But I’m really curious about your surprise, Lee Joon.”

“I’m glad you are. Take care of yourself, okay?” 

“Come to me if anything is bothering you. You’ll have my shoulder to lean on.” He stepped forward and swiftly kissed her at the side of . 

Amber gasped softly.

“Goodnight, Amber.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
“Do you know who this is?” Amber slides the grainy screenshot taken from a security cam across the table, stopping in front of Chunhee. A woman with shoulder length blond hair was paying at the counter of a store but the face couldn’t be seen because of the huge shades that were perched on her nose.

Kibum had earlier informed Amber about suspicious activities concerning BoA’s bank account. He came across a new transaction, made only two days ago which was a five thousand dollar purchase at a designer boutique. Kibum suspects the woman, who’s in possession of BoA’s credit card is someone that’s familiar with BoA because the latter wouldn’t be as clumsy to lose her credit card and not do anything.

Amber saw Chunhee’s eyes flicker with recognition but he held back what he knew. “Why do you want to know?”

“You know her, am I right? Please tell me.” Chunhee stared blankly at her. “What are you planning to do?“ He raised an eyebrow. “That depends on what you tell me.” After much contemplation, he finally spoke up.

“She’s Park Sunyoung, BoA agashi’s apprentice.” Amber nearly dropped the pen she was twirling. “BoA’s apprentice? How come we weren’t notified of this?”

“Agashi didn’t want her to be involved with the team. Park Sunyoung-sshi only works and follows agashi’s orders and no one else. She stays in the shadows unless she’s called upon. No one knows her whereabouts except for agashi.”

“You must know something about her. Anything you say might bring us closer to finding her.” Chunhee remained tight lipped and she sighed. 

“We cannot have someone who knows about us left in the open.” Amber crossed her arms and stared at him. “I’m won’t kill her if that’s what you’re worried about. I’m gonna included her in the team when I find her.” His lips twitched and he clenched his fist. “Can I trust your word?” 

“Yes.” Amber tilted her head, eyeing him curiously. He likes the woman, she thought and looked back to the picture.

“Where can I find her?”

 

~~


“Amber, have a seat.” She closed the door behind her and bowed at Donghae. “How are you keeping up with the new job?”

“I’m hanging on.” Amber answered cautiously. “It’s a different environment compared to working with the team but nothing that I can’t get used to.” She set her hands on top of her crossed legs and leaned back.

“That’s good to hear but I’ve assigned someone to help you out.” Donghae smiled at her and instructed his secretary over the intercom. “Let him in.” Amber turned around and looked to the door when it opened and a well-suited man entered the room. “Joon!?”

“My brother offered himself when he heard of the selection for a personal assistant.” Amber stared at the two brothers with hanging open. “W-what?” She stuttered while her brain tried to digest the idea of Joon as her PA. 

“Surprised?” Joon asked when they returned to her office. “Is this a joke?” Amber whacked his head and he bend over in pain. “No, it’s not a joke! Yah..” He clucks his tongue at her. “I was just appointed as your PA and you’re already abusing me?”

“You’ve got to be kidding me. You, Lee Joon, as my PA? Your brother must have knocked his head up badly.” Amber nodded her head knowingly. “Okay, show’s over. I’ll tell Donghae to find someone else, you’re free to go.”

“What’s so hard to believe?” Joon’s smile faded. “I’m being sincere. I didn’t want you to be lonely since we’re no longer living together. Wouldn’t it be nice to know you have someone you’re close with, working with you here?”

“So, you’re not pulling my leg?” He shook his head at her. “No, I’m not. With me around, you’ll have a shoulder to lean on.” Amber suddenly remembered of last night as he said the same thing. “Okay but I have something to ask you.”

“What was the kiss yesterday about?” Joon blinked at her. “I mean, you just left without saying anything.”

“Would you be my girlfriend?” 

Amber opened and closed like a fish, unable to respond. 

“Joon..what?” She turned her back to him while twisting her fingers. “Would you be my girlfriend?” Joon repeated and stood in front of her.

His girlfriend? What? Her brain was in a big mess as different thoughts overlapped each other. She closed her eyes, calming herself and finally found her voice. “No.”

“Joon, I only treat you as a friend. A very good friend. Someone that I trust but nothing over the line of friendship.” She cursed herself for being straight forward but she knew it was the right thing to not lead him on. 

Joon stared at her, making her nervous because he has yet to respond. “Joon.”

“I heard you.” The side of his mouth lifted slowly and he stuck his hands into his pockets. “I’m happy though, even if you don’t like me in that way, you still consider me as someone close to you.” Amber looked at him anxiously. “Though I don’t express it, you are among the people that I cherish and trust. You have to know that.”

Joon nodded and smiled wider to pacify her, even though he was hurting inside. “Friends?”

Amber stepped forward and hugged him. “Friends.” She muttered. “I’m sorry.”

He patted her back and enjoyed the short moment before she pulled away. “Well, I can’t make you like me, can I?” He ruffled her hair and let go of her. 

Amber shook her head and smiled. “You’ll find someone else.” He nodded absentmindedly and changed the topic.

“Are you heading home? Let’s go together.” He stopped halfway. “Oh yeah, you’re living on your own. I forgot.” Joon chuckled.

“I’m going to a club.” Amber switched off the lights and collected her belongings. “You’re clubbing?”

“Actually, I’m not.” She then explained to him about the woman she’s about to find.


 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“This girl is a party maniac,” Joon whispered and set himself between Amber and the man that was giving her the ‘eyes’. “Buzz off, she’s with me.” He hissed at him and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. The man rolled his eyes and walked away.

“She’s been club-hopping for the past three hours.” He dragged her to a secluded area. Out of the woman’s sight but yet still able to watch her. “I think we’ve been to five clubs tonight.”

“She knows she’s being followed,” Amber crossed her arms and observed the woman at the bar. “That’s the basic thing you should know. She’s, after all, trained by BoA unni.” Her memories of that particular night returned at the mention of the name but shook her thoughts away. “The best thing now is to show ourselves.”

“Why are you following me like a pack of bloodhounds?” The woman asked without looking up and downed a shot as they appeared behind of her. She turned her chair around and scrutinized them. “Sunyoung—“ She held up a hand to stop Amber. “That person no longer exists. She’s dead.” Her perfectly made up face showed no emotion.

“Fine. Luna.” Amber remembered going through the woman’s official records and she was listed dead as Park Sunyoung. Luna is now her new alias. “We haven’t met before but I’m a friend of BoA’s.”

“I know you.” Luna leaned her arms on the bar top behind her, causing her mini dress to slide up her thigh and she grinned when she caught Joon staring. “You’re Amber Liu, the assassin on Matsuka’s team and,” Joon gulped and averted his gaze when she crossed her legs. “You’re Lee Joon .” The sides of her blood red lips curled into a smirk as she leaned forward, giving him a generous view of her cleavage. “Lee Donghae’s younger brother.”

“Yes,” Amber looked between them with her eyebrows raised. “We know you’re BoA’s apprentice and we want you to work for Matsuka.” She almost laughed at Joon, who was fidgeting as he tried his best not to stare in Luna’s direction. 

“Hmm.” Luna nodded her head but Amber didn’t know whether she was agreeing with her or checking out Joon. “And we have other news.”

“BoA’s dead.” Luna tore her gaze away from him. “What?” Amber braced herself for a crying session as she repeated her words but she didn’t expect the next to happen. “Oh, she is? Okay.” Luna shrugged her shoulders. “Let me repeat myself. BoA. Is. Dead.” Amber said slowly, as if explaining to a grandma.

“Yeah, I heard you. I’m not deaf.” Luna’s eyebrows knitted together and appeared to be annoyed. “The woman’s dead. And?” She doesn’t even care one bit about unni, Amber took a deep breath to stop her emotions from bubbling over. “You’re not sad?”

“Should I be sad?” She asked, unaffected and finish her drink. “I don’ know. She was your teacher, wasn’t she?” Luna looked at her, confused before she broke out laughing. “You think I would cry over her death just because I was her mentee?” She threw her head back, laughing harder. “You’re so naïve.”

“Yes, she may be my teacher but everything else ends there. To me, she’s only someone who helped find me a new identity and introduced me to a different world. You ask whether I’m grateful?” Luna pondered to herself. “Yes, I am. I would answer you that without doubt but like I said, whatever happens after lessons, are none of my concerns.”

“Okay, let’s just leave that aside then.” Joon rested a hand on Amber’s arm to remind her about their task. “Back to the topic.” Luna listened halfheartedly and paid for her drinks.

“Since BoA’s dead and you’re her apprentice which means you would have known everything that is to know about Matsuka and us. So, you are given a choice.” He continued as they followed Luna out of the club. “You either work with us on the team or—” 

Amber reached out and pulled Luna back by the arm. “Or we kill you.”

“You think I would be easily scared into your demands by uttering a death threat?” Amber tilted her head to the side as she fixed her eyes on Luna, whose body language contradicts her every word. “Well, it is a life or death matter. So, if you don’t mind dying the second time, please, go ahead and snub us. Then, we will hunt you down like a pack of bloodhounds.” The two women glared at each other, neither of them willing to break eye contact.

“In other words, just accept the job.” Joon tried to break the tension and pulled Amber back but she swung her hand from his grip and it hit him straight in the face. “Embeeh!” Joon howled at her, pressing his hands over his nose. “Watch eet!”

“Fine, I’ll work for you.” Luna said and tucked a strand of blond hair behind her ear. How can she stand in the cold without the need of a coat?Amber glanced at her mini dress and pulled her own jacket around her tightly. “But, on one condition.”

“I don’t think you’re allowed to negotiate but let’s hear what you have to say.” Amber crossed her arms. “I’ll work for you if you can catch me.” With that, Luna turned away and ran towards a group of men that were waiting at the end of the line into the club.

“Hey, you see that woman over there.” Amber watched her talked to a man twice her size while pointing at them. “She said you’re a jerk and so ugly, no one would ever kiss you!” She opened in shock and glanced at Joon. “What did she just say?” He simply shook his head and grabbed her hand. “All I know is, we’d better run.”

“D.amn her.” Amber hissed as the group of angry men chased after them. “B.itch! Stop right there and I’ll make you eat your words!” The man hollered at her, pushing his way through the crowded sidewalk.

Amber pulled Joon into a dark alley after turning the corner and spun around in circles, searching for a hiding spot. “Here!” Joon tugged her and they crammed themselves into the small space next to the huge dumpster. “Hurry.” He whispered as she forced herself closer to him and he threw his black jacket over them.

Joon’s face was so close to hers, he could smell the scent of her moisturizer on her face as they huddled under the jacket. She pulled away when she felt his breath on her cheek, feeling uncomfortable but he pulled her back. “Don’t move. They’re here.” His breath tickled the hair on the back of her neck and she froze when his lips touched her bare skin, hugging her closer so the jacket would be able to cover their bodies.

“That b.itch disappeared!” A man shouted, his voice sounding awfully close to them. “They couldn’t run far. This alley leads to a dead end.” They heard him snicker along with his friends. “We’ll have her begging on her knees before we have some fun with her.” 

“Yeah, her body is not bad.” Joon pressed his mouth down on her shoulder to stifle a laugh. “We’d just have to shut that mouth of hers.” The men high fived each other. “Let’s hurry up and find our play toy for the night.” The men moved along and they waited until the voices faded before pulling the jacket away.

“A.ssholes!” Amber ran her hand through her hair in annoyance. “Why are men like this? Disgusting!” Joon shrugged into his jacket and took her hand. “Come on, let’s get out of here before they find us.”

“They said you have a hot body.” He ignored her earlier jab on the male species and they blended into the crowed streets. “I can vouch for that.” Amber rolled her eyes. “I still have the shudders. Eewwwww.” She shut her eyes tightly and shook her head, willing the nasty thoughts from the conversation to disappear. 

“Ah, I’m glad I ain’t like that.” She scoffed and looked at him incredulously. “Oh really? Can’t you remember what you did when we first met?”

“That is nothing. I just touched you like this,” Amber slapped his hands away when he rested them on her behind. “Do you want a kick in the nuts again?” Joon narrowed his eyes at her. “That really hurt, okay.”

“Anyway, as I was saying, I may have very active-a-mind-of-its-own hands.” She snorted, flipping her fringe out of her face. “But I’m not the kind to take advantage of a woman and I would only proceed if she gives her permission. For example,” He stopped her in the middle of the street. “Amber, may I kiss you?”

“No.” She said bluntly. “Okay. See, I didn’t kiss you because I didn’t have your permission.” 

“Then what about yesterday’s kiss?” Joon winked at her. “The principle only started recently as of now onwards.” Amber hadn’t noticed that they were still holding hands as she swung them in boredom. “That’s a whole lot of bull.”


 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



“Amber sunbae,” Kibum bowed at her as he entered the room and nearly lost his balance when Krystal pushed past him. “Unni!” He held her back and reminded her of her etiquette. “Manners, Krystal.” And the latter bowed to her. “Sunbaenim.”

“You guys don’t have to do this.” Amber gaped at them and rushed from her desk. “Yes, we do, Amber sunbae.” Victoria appeared from behind Kibum with Sulli. “We’re still in the eye of the others. You don’t want them to think you’re a biased person.”

“But—“

“Just as long as we’re in private,” Sulli shut the door behind her and they jumped on Amber. “We can do this!” They hugged her tightly and sway in each other’s arms. “We miss you.” Krystal kissed her on the cheek and laughed, wiping away the lipstick stain. “I miss you too.” 

“So, what’s our project this time?” 

The door swung opened violently and Joon rushed into the room with a stack of folders. “Good, I’m not late.” He dropped them on the desk.

“Matsuka had earlier asked one of his drug suppliers to smuggle in something for him and our mole in the police force has informed us that the police have gotten wind of the activity.”

“What is Matsuka bringing in?” Kibum closed his folder. “Currency printing plates.” Amber said.

“Matsuka has given us the order to retrieve the printing plates as well as eliminating the drug supplier and his men so that nothing will be led back to us.”

 

~~


Nichkhun sat in his superior’s office and waited for Yunho to end his call. “Yes, sir. We will.”

“Is everything set for tonight?” Yunho signed the paperwork waiting for his approval and shut the folder, resting hands over it. “Yes, sir.” Nichkhun answered.

“You’re the team leader for today. And remember, your promotion depends on how well you do tonight.” Nichkhun nodded but under his blank expression, he was ecstatic. He could finally be honest with Victoria about his line of work after ending the undercover job and also, he would be included into the special police team which is headed by Yunho. 

This would be both the turning point of his career as well as his life.

 

~~


“Joon and Sulli just left the compound with the printing plate.” Victoria lay her stomach on the cold surface of the container and adjusted the height of the sniper rifle to her liking. 

“Okay, Kibum.” Amber settled herself on the top of another shipping container and looked for Victoria with the handheld scope. “Unni, we have to be careful not to get caught by the police.” She found her on the second highest stacked of containers after hers. “Wound them. Do not kill.”

“Make sure you have your trackers with you.” Kibum double checked the green blips on his computer which reflects their position and tuned the frequency of his radio to match the police’s walkie-talkies. 

The team was scattered at different locations around the port yard as they waited for their targets to arrive. Victoria and Amber were situated near the exchange point of the goods, hiding at the very top of the stacks of shipping containers. Where else, Kibum and Krystal were waiting at the helicopter on the top of another shipping container, away from the main zone.

“They’ve just entered the port yard.” Krystal informed them as she followed the security camera feeds. 

 

~~


“Sir, they’re here.” Nichkhun whispered into his radio. “Be on standby.” He wriggled in his bullet proof vest which was a size too small for him and pressed his body against the wall of the container when a car drove past his hiding spot.

He slowly inched along the container and peeked. The drug dealer’s men straightened themselves and lined up by the car. “Get to your positions and wait for my order.” He ordered before tucking radio away.

Nichkhun watched the men bowing at their boss as the latter exited the car while buttoning his coat and looked around. A man rushed up to him, whispering into his ear and the drug dealer pulled away with a frown on his face. 

Nichkhun raised the radio to his mouth. 

“At my signal, in 3. 2—”

The drug dealer’s head suddenly jerked and he slumped to the ground while the man beside him followed suit. “Hold your fire! I did not give the order to fire!” Nichkhun shouted.

The men that stood guard by the container where the goods were kept collapsed to the ground, leaving behind a spray of blood on the container wall. “It’s not us sir! We don’t know where the bullets are coming from.”

“Get the remaining men to safety, I want no dead witnesses!” Nichkhun ran out of his cover. “Snipers, look out for the gunmen.” He turned around in dizzy circles, scanning the top of the containers. “Find them immediately. Kill them if necessary.”

 

~~


“Girls, the police commander just gave his snipers the permission to kill.” Amber searched her next victim through the telescopic sight and fired. “Watch out for them.” She pushed her windblown hair back from her face and scanned the ground below with the handheld scope.

“Unni, we have to work fast since we have dogs on our tail.” Victoria shot man after man without losing her concentration. “Okay, we’re almost done here. Kibum should be on his way to collect us?” She aimed at a man wearing a police vest, wounding him in the leg before he could reach her targets. “Yes, he’s on his way.”

Every one of the men was killed except for one wrapped around in the arms of a police officer who was guiding him away from the bloody scene. The officer looked up when the man he was helping, fell onto the ground with a bullet in his head.

Victoria was prepared to shoot the officer but her whole body froze when he turned around. “Nichkhun?” She gasped and her hand flew to . He’s a police officer?! She snapped out of her daze and quickly gathered up her stuff.

The slight movement caught Nichkhun’s eye and he raised his gun. Victoria rolled to her side to avoid the bullet and grabbed her rifle, running across the container and jumped down to the next level. 

Nichkhun ran towards the stack of containers directly opposite him and ordered his men to comb through the area since the place was a dead end. He held his gun in front of him and proceeds into the dark and narrow space between two containers.

Victoria leaned against the container and pulled out her handgun, waiting for the police officer to walk pass her. She swiped the back of his head with the gun , sending him unconscious and pulled his body into the shadows before continuing her way through the dark maze.“Noona, we’re tracking you. Make your way to the docked ships and you’ll find us there.”

So he was working as an undercover all these while. She stopped herself right in time as another officer appeared from her right and held her breath just as pieces of the puzzle clicked. The drug dealer’s base is in Chinatown and Nichkhun works in Chinatown too. After knocking him out and hiding the body, she took his radio and rushed in the direction where he had come from. He’s been spying on them.

“Sir, Jungwoo’s knocked out.” The radio cackled to life and Victoria quickened her pace. She turned back to look and saw frantic flashes of light in the dark. “Okay, I just found Kihyun unconscious too. The gunman should not be far away.” She tightened her grip on the radio and ran.

Nichkhun dashed out of the shadows and noticed the barely visible footprints on the sandy ground as the kicked up dust was starting to settle. “He was just here.” He looked around and caught the sight of a shadow disappearing at the end of his vision. He glanced up at the whirring sound of helicopter blades and chased after the aircraft as it flew above his head, weaving his way through several containers before ending up in an open area by the docked ships.

He watched the helicopter land and a masked person slide open the doors, waiting for someone. That’s when he saw a woman with a rifle in her arms dashed across the open area, her long brown hair whipping around due to the strong wind caused by the helicopter. 

“Do not run!” Nichkhun shouted as he stepped out into the open. “Or I’ll shoot!” The woman stood frozen to her spot when she heard his voice. “Turn around with your hands in the air!” A second passed. She didn’t do as he says and started to run again to which he responded by releasing the trigger. 

The woman crumpled onto the ground after the bullet hit her from behind. Nichkhun lowered his gun and took a step forward when he felt two bullets hit him in his chest, causing him to stumble from impact.

“Unni!” Amber came running to her with her gun at her side and helped her to the helicopter. “Hurry.” Amber shoved her into the helicopter before sliding the door shut. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah,” Victoria tore off the bullet proof vest and pressed her face against the window, looking down at the tiny port as the helicopter rose higher in the air. “You killed him?!” Amber reached for her and patted her body. 

“No, he was wearing a vest too.” She pulled Victoria away from the window and whispered urgently. “Where is your tracker? It’s not with you.” The latter widened her eyes and frantically ran her hands over her body before looking at Amber gravely. “I think it dropped when I fell.”

Nichkhun unstrapped his vest and ran his fingers along the warm bullets that are imbedded in the vest. “A woman.” He mumbled as he paced around the area where the helicopter was a minute ago. He lifted his foot when he felt something cracked beneath it. 

He picked up the tiny black object with a surgical glove he had pulled out from his shirt pocket. He flipped the object over to its rounded side. A fine jagged line ran across the glass protector as the blinking red light within faded to black. “A tracker?”

He dropped the tracker into a transparent bag and zipped it close as he scanned the skies. “I will find you.”

 

~~


“Thank you, sir.” Nichkhun bowed and left Yunho’s office. “I’ll do my best.”

Nichkhun was congratulated by his soon-to-be colleagues and smiled as he walked passed them. But under the smile, he felt slightly dejected even though he was promoted to enter Jung Yunho’s elite team of officers. He doesn’t think he deserves to be on the team due to his performance the other night. 

After the mysterious woman and her accomplices fled the compound, they went to check on the goods in the container. They had found what they’ve expected except for the missing printing plates. Nichkhun had then thought his promotion was without doubt, out of the picture because of that but he was wrong.

“It’s not your fault. You were ambushed by a third party.” Yunho’s voice was firm and calm while Nichkhun on the other hand, was trying his best not to fidget under his strong gaze. “But there’s another reason why I’m bringing you into my team.” Nichkhun raised his eyebrows. “You’ve found a single evidence left behind by this mysterious people which may be useful to my team whose been working on a special case. We think that this third party could be somehow related to our work.”

“So, you’ll enter my team and work with them on this case. Consider this as your chance to get back at them.”

 
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Helluuuuu.” Amber pushed her glasses up her head and grinned. “What’s up dude?”

“Do you want to hang out? We’ve not meet up for quite some time. Two weeks to be exact.” Henry stared at the ascending numbers on the elevator display. “I can’t. I have to work.” 

“Come on, I’m busy too but you don’t see me bugged down in the office.” Amber sighed, swiping her fringe with the tip of the pen. “Well, you’re the boss of your own. I, on the other hand, work for others.”

“See the difference? You can get off anytime you want.” He switched the handphone to his other ear when the elevator doors open. “Yeah but it’s almost time to get off work. Everyone is preparing to leave.” He stepped off the elevator and walked to the front desk.

“Slacking a bit won’t be the end of the world.” She tapped the pen on the desk and looked to the clock on the wall. “But—“ She paused at the knock on her door. “Come in.”

“You’ve been working non stop, it’s time to relax.” She broke into a smile when Henry entered her office. “Even if you can’t, I’ll just have to kidnap you.” 

“Henry, what are you doing here?” Amber ran a hand through her hair and smoothen her outfit, feeling conscious of her appearance. “To kidnap you.” He grinned, watching her. “I miss hanging out with you.”

“Work has been keeping me busy. I don’t even have time to visit my family either.” She didn’t know what to do with her hands as they clasped and unclasped in front of her. 

“Let’s go.” 

Henry closed his hand around her wrist. “What?” Amber snatched her bag off the chair and followed him. “Where are we going? What about my work?”

“Have a little fun now. Your work can wait.” They dashed to the lobby and Henry stuck his hand out to stop a closing elevator. 

 

~~


Henry brought her to the amusement park and they were looking quite out of place due to their work outfits compared to the laidback fashion the teenagers there were sporting. 

“Aren’t we too old to be coming to an amusement park?” Amber whispered to him as people gave them weird looks. “People are staring.”

“Whatever. Let’s play at this booth.” He dragged her to a shooting gallery where the player is suppose to shoot the white target as it rotates among the rainbow of different coloured metal plates. “You first.” Henry handed her the mock firearm. She glanced at the gun wearily and pushed it away. “No thanks.”

“Just one round.” Henry nudged her, nodding towards the placard on their right. “The reward for shooting all the targets is a twenty dollar food and beverage coupon.” He pushed the gun into her hands and crossed his arms. “Give it a try.”

Amber held the rifle gingerly before raising it and rested the broad gun against her shoulder. Out of the fifteen targets, she only managed to hit six which she did so intentionally. “I’m bad at this.” She passed the gun to him for his turn. “Don’t worry, I’ll get the coupons.”

Henry handled the rifle confidently and aimed for the white plates. Amber watched in surprised and her competitive streak took over when he got all the fifteen targets. “Let me have another try.” This time, she held the gun naturally and shot down all the targets without missing a shot. “Miss, that’s the best record I’ve ever witnessed.” The man behind the booth said in awe as he handed her their accumulated forty dollar worth of coupons. 

“Woah.” Henry stared at her in amazement. “Second time lucky?” She shrugged her shoulders and fanned the coupons before him. “Let’s get something.” 

“Anyway, you did very well yourself too. Although you did miss a few shots.” Amber dipped her spoon into their jumbo sized ice cream. “I’m a member at a shooting club.” He scooped the chocolate sprinkles into his mouth. “I’ll bring you there some other time.”

“Cool.” She nodded. No wonder he could hit most of it. ”Let’s ride this.” Amber guided him to a mini ferris wheel. “This is what you want to ride? Not that?” He pointed to the tall tower looming in the background. “How are we supposed to ride the Space Shot when we have this?” She pointed at their ice cream.

So, they crammed their bodies into the tight space of the passenger car and she nearly dropped their dessert in the process. “Put your arm behind me,” She lifted his arm with her free hand. “It’s taking up space. Woah!” Amber jumped a little when the car tilted back as it was ascending.

“Okay, let’s make a bet.” Henry broke off a piece of the waffle cone. “Whoever screams the first when we’re dropped from the Space Shot ride will have to treat the winner to an extravagant meal.” Amber scoffed and she choked on her ice cream.

“Be ready to foot the bill when the time comes.” She thumped her chest to ease her coughing. “Getting cocky now huh?” Henry patted her back and smirked. “I’m not afraid of heights.”

“I’m not too.” Amber jabbed the ice cream to prove her point. “We’ll see.” He wiped away the streak of chocolate ice cream at her chin.

 

~~


“Hey! You screamed before I did!” Amber pushed him aside as they were walking back to his car. “You cheater.” 

“It was obvious you were the one who screamed first.” Henry swung his arm over her shoulder. “I have a witness so you can stop your argument.” She jabbed her elbow at his sides and he recoiled. “The guy was puking his guts out. He would say anything to stop you from bothering him.” 

No matter what she says, the clear result of the bet was she lost. Amber tried her best to stop herself from screaming but even with both hands clamped over , a scream still managed to escape just before Henry’s.

“Men don’t scream. They shout.” Amber rolled her eyes and pushed him again, this time sending him to the ground. “No need to be rough. Anyway, you are the loser. End of discussion.”

“Fine.” She sighed and ran her hand down her pocket, pulling out a flattened Mars bar and offered it to him. “Eewww.” He . “Whatever, more for me.” Henry plucked the bar out of her hand. “I never said I don’t want it.” Amber scoffed and unwrap her own bar.
Music Starts 
 

 
“Thanks for bringing me here. I really appreciate it.” She said and threw the wrapper into a nearby bin.

“You’re welcome. Feeling much better now, isn’t it?” She dropped her head and her hair covered her face like a veil. “Yeah. I’ve so many things to get used to and with unni’s death..”

“I understand.” He unlocked the car and opened the door for her. “So, call me out whenever you’re feeling down.” He patted his chest while he held the door frame with another. “I’m your stress reliever.” She smiled. “Seriously, thank you.” 

“It’s my pleasure. Anything for you.” Henry whispered and his intense gaze caused the fluttering sensation in her stomach. She looked into his eyes as she contemplated her next move.

Amber balled her hand into a fist and stood on her toes, leaning into him, her lips leaving a light kiss on his. She remained in the position for a second longer, taking in the smell of him before pulling away. Her eyes flickered back and forth, looking out for his reaction.

What came next was too fast for Amber to comprehend as his hands cupped her face and planted his lips on hers. Henry felt her stiffened at first but she slowly relaxed. Her hands s around his waist and pulled their bodies closer.

Henry shivered when her lips moved on its own, kissing him back as her arms tighten around him. She felt her body pressed against the car while her hand moved up his back, playing with his hair. Henry broke the kiss and the tip of his tongue grazed her lips before resting his cheek on her shoulder.

Amber opened her eyes and breath got caught in when she realized what had just happened. She buried her face in his shoulder in embarrassment but her lips involuntarily curved into a smile. “Amber,” Henry’s hot breath filled her ear and she shuddered from his cold touch on her bare skin, his fingers peeking just under her shirt. “I like you.”

She pushed him away and his eyes ran across her flushed cheeks and red lips. Her hand slide around his neck and brought his face closer to hers, her lips brushing against his as she whispered the words she had longed to say.

“I like you too, Henry Lau.”

And pressed her lips on his wide smile.

 

~~
 

Henry was giddy with happiness as he held her hand, glancing occasionally at her while they were driving back to her office. Amber, who was earlier bold at expressing her feelings, was looking out the window, trying to be a cool cucumber about the situation but failed, her pink cheeks giving her away.

The car came to a stop in the drop off area of the building and she unbuckled her seat belt quickly, exiting the car equally fast. “Bye, Henry.” She squeaked and closed the door behind her but he was faster and was already at her side, holding her back. “Aren’t you gonna look me in the face?” Henry . 

“Because you’ll be seeing a lot of me from now on.” He held her chin up and dipped his head, covering her lips with his tenderly. Her body was functioning on its own as her hands slipped behind his neck instinctively, crossing it at her wrists.

The innocent kiss soon turned passionate when Henry pulled away, nibbling her bottom lip before trailing kisses from her jaw to the base of her neck. Her hands were in his hair, it and brought him closer to her, a soft moan escaping her lips when he bit her.

“Henry, stop.” Amber said breathlessly and pushed gently against him. Henry’s mouth lingered on her neck before his lips were next to her ears. “What if I don’t?” His husky voice made her tremble. “What are you gonna do?” Knowing she has no answer to his question, his mouth found its way back to hers.

She broke the kiss soon after and leaned her forehead on his shoulder. “Okay, we really have to stop.” He rested his hands on her lower back and his touch sent tingles up her spine. “Or else I won’t be able to get home.”

“We can always head back to my place.” She lifted her head and he was grinning mischievously with a glint in his eye. “You can spend the night in the guest room.” Henry smirked when he saw her blush, without asking he knew she had mistaken his earlier suggestion. “Oh.”

“So what if I take the extra room?” She responded, mentally cursing herself for thinking of something else. “You’d sneak in like you did the last time I stayed there.”

“Hey, I went in because I heard sobbing.” Henry looked at her with a cocked eyebrow, amused. “Wanna come home with me?” 

“I’m not that kind of girl.” Amber said snootily and walked away. “Wait!” She stopped in her tracks and watched him jogged to her. “Who said you’re that type of girl” He chuckled and his hands reached for her. “Before you go, I have a quick question.”

“Are we now officially dating?” Amber bit her lips to hold back her laughter. “Think about it. What have we been doing in the past thirty minutes? Isn’t it clear to you? If not, I guess I would have to give you the answer myself.” She said slyly. 

Amber was having fun as she listened to his ragged breathing when her lips touched the underside of his jaw and worked her way to the shell of his ear. “Is this clear enough?” She whispered. She stifled another laugh when Henry mumbled ‘Oh my god.’ “Goodnight, Henry.”

“Not so fast.” Henry caught her wrist and pulled her back to him. “Where’s my goodnight kiss?” He asked her innocently although a smirk was fighting to appear. “I’m not your mother!” He rested his hands on her hips. “Ah-ha but I’m your boyfriend.” 

“I guess my boyfriend,” She emphasized and locked her arms around his neck. “Deserves a goodnight kiss then.” She winked before pecking him on the cheek. “That’s cheating!” 

“Nah-uh,” She pressed her hand over his mouth to stop him from leaning in. “You didn’t specify it anywhere. Case closed. Yah!” A giggle escaped her lips when he her hand. “Okay, I’m being serious now. I want to get home after an exhausting day. So, shoo!” She pushed him away and ran inside the building, sticking her tongue out at him.

She stared at his moving lips, eyebrows knitting together as she couldn’t hear him from the other side of the glass window. After attempting to read his lips for some time, she gave up and just waved to him with a big smile.

Henry returned the wave and walked away, repeating what he had just said to himself. 

“I love you.”