Chapter 17

Zero Gravity
“Sorry miss, your card can’t be used.” Luna handed the cashier another credit card and rolled her eyes to the ceiling, drumming her manicured nails on the counter. “This card can’t be used too.”

“Some lousy card reader.” She hissed and threw the next credit card at her. The cashier bowed apologetically and ran the card through the reader. “I’m sorry miss, this isn’t accessible too. You might want to call your bank to verify the situation?” The cashier returned the credit card.

“It’s impossible that my cards aren’t accessible! I just used it in the other store down the road!” The cashier looked like she was about to cry as Luna hurled insults at her, ignoring her timid apologies. “I want to see the person in charge. Get me your manager!”

“No need to be furious. Things happen for a reason.”

“It’s none of your business.” Luna whipped her head around. “ off!” Her eyes narrowed when it landed on the person she least expect.

“Hello.” Amber threw her a lazy wave and took out her own wallet, passing the trembling cashier her black card. “Consider this as your welcome gift from me.” She smiled at Luna. “I hope you didn’t forget the part of your deal.”

“Without doubt, my credit card access was halted by you.” Luna crossed her arms, glaring at Amber. “Hmm. Not exactly, it was Kibum who froze your bank accounts, including BoA unni’s. Didn’t take him long to locate you.” She snatched the paper bag with her purchase in it from Amber’s outstretched hand. “I’d say it’s something to do with your shopping habits.”

“You can keep running but we’ll still find you no matter where you are.” Amber followed her out of the boutique and held Luna back by the arm. “Where do you live?”

“I’m surprised that you haven’t found out where I live considering that you’re able to locate me while shopping.” Luna pulled her arm away but it only led Amber to tighten her grip. 

“You’re right. I do know where you live.” Amber chuckled and dragged her towards the chauffeur driven car that had just pulled up beside of them. “I thought it would be nice to have a conversation opener.”


 
~~


“Make yourself at home.” Luna said dryly when Amber finally let go of her arm as they entered the former’s penthouse. “You know, you don’t have to haul me all the way up here. It’s not like I’m gonna run.” She rolled her eyes and went to her bedroom.

“Until I know I can trust your word, will I only then be lenient.” Amber passed the living room and observed the skyline from the windows. “Hurry up, I don’t much time. Take your basic needs for now and we can come back later to retrieve the others.” She stood there in silence, watching the ant sized vehicles below on the busy street. 

The hair on the back of her neck stood on its ends and she swung around, grabbing Luna’s arm and knocked the gun out of her hand. Amber turned herself around and pulled Luna over her back, throwing her onto the ground but Luna angled her body and her feet touched the ground instead. She raised her leg and kicked Amber in the stomach.

“What the hell is this?” Amber got to her feet and snatched the gun off the floor. “You think I would follow you quietly to wherever you’re taking me?” Luna pulled a hair band from her wrist and tied her hair. “We had a deal.”

“A deal?” 

Amber looked up after emptying the bullets from the gun. “Now you’re denying it?” She glared at Luna.

“I do not like to be controlled.” Luna said. Her fingers traced along the couch and closed them around the long light stand which stood at the end of it. “You should be used to it anyway. I heard from someone that you only follow BoA’s commands. You mean to say you’d like to be controlled only by her?” Amber retreated and reached for a metal stool, holding it up to meet the light stand as Luna attacked her with it.

“No! If only you knew what I had to pay to have a new identity!” Luna spun around and the light stand knocked the stool out of Amber’s hands. “You can say I’m grateful yet spiteful of BoA. But if you don’t know the details—” Amber swept her under her feet and she fell. “Do you think you’re the only one?!” Amber pressed down the light stand on her neck and Luna squirmed under her.

“Everyone on the team have their own secrets when it comes to the reason of their recruitment.” Luna kicked her leg up at her and Amber stumbled to the side. “So?” She aimed her kick at her.

“So, stop making yourself the only one with a sob story!” Amber caught hold of her ankle and twisted it, which sent her crashing on the floor. “You won’t get any points through pity.” Amber got up and ran to the open air kitchen when Luna pulled out another gun from under the couch.

“Anyways, I only agreed to work for you if you can catch me.” Amber crawled behind the kitchen island, pressing her back against it while bullets flew through glass bottles, its broken shards raining down on her. “But you haven’t caught me. I would only admit defeat when I recognise it.” Amber reached for an iron frying pan and waited. “I’ll stop at nothing to get away even if it means to kill you.”

Amber gripped the handle tightly and swung it at the sight of her legs. Luna buckled under the pain shooting up from her lower body and Amber seized the gun from her. Amber struck the back of her head with the gun and she fell unconscious on the ground.

“That is if you can kill me.” Amber blew out a breath of air and looked around the wrecked place. “You’re a handful.”


 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“What’s the special occasion?” Victoria asked and he pushed the seat under her. Nichkhun didn’t say anything. He smiled at her and walked to his seat.

Nichkhun had earlier asked her to dress in her best and she was surprised to see him in a suit when they met up at an exclusive restaurant in one of the most well-known and also the priciest hotels in town. 

“How did you manage to get a reservation here?” She looked around after the waiter left with their orders. The other patrons were dressed in their finest and one woman even had a whole collection of diamond necklaces choking her neck. 

“I know the manager here and she got us a table.” Nichkhun pointed to the woman attending to a family at another table and added when she raised her eyebrows. “She was a high school senior of mine.”

“Is she also from Thailand? Because she looks Korean to me.” Victoria commented after stealing a glance at the woman. “You could have asked whether there’s a job opening here.” She said on purpose and watched Nichkhun’s reaction. “I figure the pay here would be able to cover the various side jobs that you’re taking.” What are you gonna tell me now? Her words seem to strike something within him as he fidgeted in his seat. 

“Victoria, there’s something I want to tell you.” Nichkhun gulped as she had sat back in her chair with her arms crossed. “I..” He pressed his palms on his lap and took in a deep breath. “You might be upset with what I’m gonna tell you and I won’t blame you.” She whispered under her breath. “I already am.” 

“My real occupation is not as an employee working at the Chinese grocery store. I’m actually in the police force. I worked as an undercover spy.” She remains silent as her eyes stared into his. The waiter arrived at their table with their orders and bowed. “Please enjoy your food.”

“So, this place,” Victoria didn’t touch her food and she gestured around them. “Is to pacify me after dropping the bomb? Does this mean whatever you’ve told me before are lies?” She was putting up a good front by acting out the right reaction like a normal person would when they learned that the other had lied. 

But deep down, Victoria couldn’t be angry with Nichkhun at all because she was also lying to him. For her, no matter what, she couldn’t let him know anything about her life like how he had confessed to her even though she’s truly in love with him.

“Yes.” Nichkhun reached for her hand across the table but she pulled back. “Except for the fact that I’m indeed from Thailand. I moved here when I was still a toddler.” He grabbed her other hand and she didn’t pull back. “Why are you telling me this now? Considering that you’re an undercover. Shouldn’t you be discreet about your identity?”

“I’m no longer working as an undercover. I have been promoted to work with a team of elite police officers. That has been my dream and now I’m officially working with them.” Victoria saw his glassy eyed gaze before he returned to her. “I wanted to be honest with you so that our relationship can progress further.” 

She looked down at her lap and pushed her chair back suddenly which startled him. “I need some time to think about this.” Victoria turned her back to him and walked out the French doors of the restaurant which led to a beautiful garden outside.

Victoria wrapped her arms around her body, shielding her bare arms from the chill as her high heels clicked beneath her. 

It’s confirmed then, Victoria let go of her hair bun and rake through her hair, that Nichkhun is a police officer. Nichkhun’s true identity has been on her mind ever since she saw him at the port yard a week ago. She didn’t tell anyone about it as she was uncertain. She didn’t want to believe what she saw but today, his confession finally put an end to her suspicion. 

Victoria left the table because she needed to clear her mind and this revelation was making her anxious. She knew she couldn’t run away from the truth but she didn’t know what to do either. If this gets to Matsuka’s ears, she would never ever see Nichkhun again.

What should I do? Victoria sighed. She stopped pacing and stood by the balcony of the garden, looking out at the city lights as the wind blew.Maybe I should consult Amber. She jerked from her thoughts when a coat draped over her shoulders.

“You shouldn’t stay out here for too long. You would catch a cold.” Nichkhun wrapped his arms from behind and rested his chin on her shoulder. I definitely want t him alive and well. “I know.” She leaned back into the warmth of his body and let out a content sigh, forgetting about her worries for the time being.

“I understand it’s a lot for you to take in right now but you have to know my true identity.” She closed her eyes, enjoying the sound of his voice by her ear while she pulled his arms tighter around her. “I love you.”

Victoria remained quiet and turned in his arms. He gazes at her in confusion and hurt when she didn’t answer. She glanced at him and looked down, gathering his hands in hers before letting out a soft sigh.

“I love you too.” She peered and he smiled. Nichkhun tilted his head and his lips met hers, kissing her tenderly. Victoria pulled away and pecked his lips one last time before embracing him. “I love you Nichkhun. I really do.”



 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Luna squeezed her eyes and reached for the throbbing pain at the back of her head. “Ow.” Curse words escaped her lips and she kicked the comforter off her body. “D.amn her.” She opened her eyes and was startled to find a man staring at her. She pushed herself up the bed, away from him and accidentally hit her head on the bed board. 

Another string of expletives trailed out of as she jumped off the other side of the bed. “Who the hell are you?” She shouted and quickly took in her surroundings. “Where am I?”

“I’m Kibum. It’s nice to finally meet you Luna. And this is your room.” She stared at him in annoyance when the name registered in her head. “So you’re the punk who tracked me.” He walked towards her and it prompted Luna to jump on the bed and scuttle across. “Yeah. No need to be afraid of me. I won’t harm you.”

“What the..” She gaped at him in disbelief. “Who said I’m afraid of you?” Luna scoffed, rolling her eyes and rested her hands on her hips. She glared at him and observed the room. “I guess this is the mansion that BoA was talking about.”

“Yup, Amber dropped you off a couple hours ago.” Kibum sat down on the bed as his eyes followed Luna around the room. 

She’s beautiful. She ran a hand through her hair, trying to smooth out her messy curls and knots. She wasn’t like the other girls who were all about being thin. Luna was a pint sized woman with a curvy figure to match which Kibum thinks every woman should have instead of obsessing over their weight. 

He sighed and nearly fell off the bed when she turned around. “I caught you staring at me. Stop doing that.” Luna told him off haughtily and he let out another sigh. “She’s so cool.” He smiled dreamily at her.

“I told you to stop it. Can’t you understand?” Luna asked exasperatedly and threw her hands up when he merely shook his head at her question. “This guy is driving me crazy.” She kicked the leg of the study table and scowled at the door as it opened.

“Key, Victoria is calling for you. Hello!” Joon shouted to get his attention but he was ignored and followed Kibum’s gaze. “What are you doing here anyway?” He stopped and took a step back at the sight of her whose face immediately lit up. “Oh, you’re here.” Luna sent him a flirty smile and a wave. 

“Yah! Kibum! She’ll burn your gadgets if you don’t get to her now.” This made Kibum snap out of his day dream and rushed out of the door. “Thanks Joon!”

“How are you Lee Joon?” He looked up and found her approaching him. “I’m good. You can call me Joon.” 

Luna flicked her hair away from her face and traced a finger along his arm. “Okay. I’ll call you that.” He stiffened at her touch and held his breath when she stood on her toes, resting both hands on his shoulders. 

“Joon.” Luna purred into his ear and her lips grazed past his cheek, pulling away with a smirk on her face. “I’ll be paying a lot of attention to you.”

 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“How was your day?” Henry peeled off his scarf and dressed it around Amber’s bare neck when he noticed her warming it with her hands. “Don't you need it?” She tried to pull the warm scarf away but he stopped her. “I’m fine.” He smiled reassuringly and let his arm fall to his side, reaching for her hand. “I just need this.” He held their entwined fingers up for her to see.

“Cheesy much?” Amber raised her eyebrows and bumped their hands at him, making gagging sounds at the side. “You say that.” Her face dropped a little when he let go of their hands. 

Henry noticed her spilt second expression and threw his arm over her shoulder. “But you know you like it.” He grinned when a smile appeared on her face and she quickly cleared to draw away his attention. “No, I do not.”

He lowered his voice at her ear, teasing her. “Cheesy or not, you’re still mine.” Blood rushed to her face and she loosened the scarf around her suddenly warm neck. “We’re here!” She shouted which alarmed a middle aged couple that was walking past them and sped into the café, leaving him behind.


 
~~


Both of them stood in front of the cake refrigerator for quite some time as they scanned through the different flavours that were available. The waiter that was attending to them behind the counter, rolled his eyes and went away while they debated.

“Why don’t we get all of them?” Henry counted the number of cakes in the refrigerator and Amber gaped at him. “Henry, dude, there are twenty five different cakes in there!” He looked back to her with a sheepish grin. “Oops. Okay, let’s choose four for now. We’ll come back another day to try the others.”

“We’re pigs.” Amber dropped herself onto the plush seat by the wall and leaned against the glass window. “It’s alright. We’ll grow fat together.” Henry slumped next to her, resting his entire body weight on her. “Can’t breathe.” She jerked him off her shoulder but he latched onto her.

“Excuse me,” They looked up. A waitress appeared at their table with their order and an instant camera. “Our café has a tradition of taking a photo of every new customer that walks in here and put it up on the board over there.” She pointed at the corkboard near the entrance that was half filled with pictures and notes. “You can opt not to have your picture taken if you don’t want to.”

“We’ll do it.” Henry hugged Amber from behind and smiled for the camera. “Smile Pigber.” Amber made a face at him just as the flash went off.

“I’m sorry! I thought you were ready.” Henry took the Polaroid photo from the waitress. “Do you want another go?” He laughed the instant he saw it and Amber snatched it away. 

“It’s okay. We like the picture.” He spoke on behalf of Amber and the waitress bowed at them. “I look like an annoyed grandma.” She shoved the picture in his face. “Look!” 

Henry was smiling widely, his cheek resting on her back while his arms wrapped around her. It would have been picture perfect if it weren’t for Amber who was giving him a stink eye. “Come on, it’s funny!” 

She pulled the plate of raspberry cheesecake towards her and stabbed her fork into it. “And this is you,” She stabbed at it again. “Isn’t this funny?” 

Upon finishing their cakes, they approached the corkboard with their photo in hand. Most of the photos had scribbles on them and Henry reached for the marker pen that was suspended by the side of the corkboard. With a mischievous grin, he shielded what he was writing with his palm which made Amber roll her eyes and looked away, going through the photos. 

“Why Henry?”

“Why?” She sighed after reading his messy handwriting. “Henry and Pigber.” Amber whacked him. He pinned the photo at the corner of the board, away from the other photos. “I hate you.”

“Hate is a strong word. You love me.” Henry corrected her as he held her hand and walked out of the café. “Isn’t that a strong word too?” She scoffed.

“Pigber, Piggyber.” Amber shuddered from the blast of cold wind as well as the tackiness of the nicknames. “Are you always this cheesy?”

“I became like this because of you.” She laughed. “There you go again!” Henry grinned at her and swung their hands between them. “Your birthday is coming up, how are you gonna celebrate?” 

“With my family. You have to be there too!” Amber jabbed his shoulder. “Or else we’re done.” 

“Nah,” Henry leaned his head on hers and she smiled. “I doubt we’ll be.”


 
~~
 

“Happy birthday!” Amber walked into the restaurant’s private room and ducked at the sound of the popping party crackers. “Thank you!” She grinned widely and brought them into a big hug as Joon entered the room after her and closed the door behind him. Kibum placed a fake tiara headband on her head and she reached up to balance it.

“Happy birthday.” Luna came up to her and offered a handshake. “Thank you.” Amber said sincerely. “I thought you wouldn’t come.” Luna shrugged her shoulders and her eyes looked across the room. Ah, Amber nodded to herself as she followed her gaze, I should have known it was Joon. 

Sulli pulled Amber down next to her and Victoria sat on her other side. Joon stopped in his tracks when he saw Victoria and sighed before sitting beside Luna. “I’m glad you chose to sit here.” She leaned against the table with her body facing him.

“And aren’t you glad I’m here.” Kibum’s head appeared behind hers and he waved at Joon while she rolled her eyes. “No, I’m not.” Luna replied flatly. Joon laughed and leaned across behind her to pat Kibum. “Good luck man.”

“I’ve ordered your favourite dishes and.. Amber?” Victoria snapped her fingers at her. “Are you listening to me?” Amber looked up from under the table and placed her handphone face down on her lap. “Yes?”

“Never mind.” She waved her hand away and Amber smiled apologetically. “Who are you texting? You seem bothered. Is everything okay?”

“I’m fine.” She shook her head and the phone vibrated in her hand. “So what did you order?” She asked absentmindedly, hoping to throw Victoria off her back and it worked as Victoria started listing out the dishes. 

Amber read the message and her hopes fell. 
 
I’m at a budget meeting right now. Is there anything important? –Henry

Sorry to bother you. It’s nothing, just asking.
 
Amber included a smiley at the end of her message and pressed ‘Send’. Maybe he forgot, she tucked her handphone away and straightened her back.

 
~~
 

“How. Can. He. Forget. My. Birthday!” Amber dunked the fruits into the juicer at each word. “I mean, we just talked about it a few days ago!” She threw in an apple and squashes it down with the holder.

Amber was in the kitchen, juicing fruits after returning home from dinner with the others. At first, she was okay with Henry not remembering her birthday but she grew more annoyed as time passes. “What a lousy boyfriend!” She cut the core of the apple and cast the fruit into the juicer before turning around with the knife held in front of her.

“Hey! It’s just me!” Henry inched his body, more specifically his neck, away from the sharp blade with his hands up. “Amber, put down the knife.” He eyed the gleaming blade pointed at him.

“I’m sorry! I felt someone creeping up on me and I thought it was a burglar.” Amber switched off the juicer and threw the knife into the sink. “I’m so so sorry.” She looked at him flustered and her anger faded, thinking about how close the knife was to his neck and what could have happened if she had applied pressure to it.

“I’m fine. Anyway, I heard someone complaining about a lousy boyfriend he is for missing his girl’s birthday.” Henry was standing outside the kitchen the whole time, listening to her curse about him.

“Happy birthday.” The sides of his lips lifted into a smile, his eyes almost forming a line as he held his arms open. “And for the record, I did not forget. I wanted to surprise you.”

“Pfft. Sorry to burst your bubble but your surprise failed.” Amber had her face in his shoulder and her voice came out muffled. “Yeah, I know. In the end, I was the one who was surprised.” He ruffled her hair and guided her out of the kitchen.

“By the way, you didn’t tell me the café we visited the other day was actually close to your house.” She shrugged her shoulders and watched him open the cake box on the dining table. “Oh yeah!” He stopped and ran his hand down his pocket, pulling out a box. “Your present.” 

Amber closed her hand around the velvet box and shot him a glance before flipping it open. She pinched the chain and lifted out a gold locket which had depressed floral cravings on both sides of its shell. “Open it.” 

She did as told and the locket opened in half with two pictures on the either sides of the inner cover. The left side was the picture of a smiling Henry and on the right, a picture of Amber scowling at him. “This was the photo we took at the café.” She giggled softly and he took it from her. “Yup. Let me wear it for you.”

“Thank you.” She the locket around her neck; its weight was neither too heavy nor too light. “You’re welcome.” He said and brought out the candles. He peeked at Amber, who was grinning to herself while gazing at the locket. 

The candles in his hand hovered above the cake as Henry watches her, a smile appearing on his face without him knowing it. His eyes followed the trail starting from her twinkling eyes to her laugh lines to her tender smile and ending at her finger running across his picture.

Amber was so engrossed in her world that she didn’t know he was watching her every move and even turned a deaf ear on the ringing doorbell. “Amber.” She looked up when he gently touch her arm. “You can stare at my picture another time. For now, get the door.”

Amber’s cheeks redden and she playfully slapped him on his back to which he let out an exaggerated yell of pain. She glanced at the clock in the doorway and wondered who’s at her door. 

“Who’s it?” “Happy birthday! Again.”

“Joon.” His smile faltered when Henry appeared behind of her in the doorway. “Why is he here?” Joon asked her and she was cut off before she could even answer.

“Why can’t I be here? I’m her boyfriend.”

“What?” Joon nearly dropped the cake he was holding and looked between them. “You’re dating him?” 

 

~~
 

The silence and tension across the table was making her fidgety and Amber cleared . “So, what are the flavours?” She asked brightly but she didn’t get the same reaction from the two men.

“Oreo cheesecake.” “White chocolate cream cake.”

Both of them answered curtly without looking at her, glaring at each other instead. Joon uncrossed his arms and rested his elbows on the table. “When did you start dating?” 

“Oh, I think it w—“ 

“A week ago.” Henry finished her sentence and frowned at Joon. “Hmm, I wish the both of you a wonderful relationship.” Joon said, not sounding very sincere which ticked Henry off but he kept his annoyance in check. “Thanks.” He said through gritted teeth.

“Guys, do you want to play Guitar Hero? We can have cake later.” Amber got between them again, hoping to break the tense atmosphere the second time. She pushed back her chair and pulled Henry with her to the living room with Joon following behind.

“So, what song should we play?” Amber went through the list of songs while they chose their instruments; Henry sat on the drum stool and adjusted the foot pedal and Joon picked up the plastic guitar. “Let’s play this song. I’ll sing since you’ve taken up the instruments.”

“No!” They said at the same time and glanced at each other. “This is between the two of us.” Henry said and both selected the expert level. 

“Fine.” Amber fell back onto the couch and folded her arms. “What fun.” She grumbled and grabbed a pillow, hugging it to her chest.
 

~~
 

After playing a dozen songs, Henry eventually lost to Joon by a mere ten point difference. “You !” Joon pointed at him while he jumped around like a school boy, elated over his win. “Yes, I lost.” 

“Amber! Did you se—“

“Shh!” Henry hissed at him and held his finger before his lips. “She’s asleep.” Amber was lying on the couch with her back facing them and soft snores can be heard when they switched off the television. 

“She can sleep through all the noise?” Joon muttered as he put away the instruments and walked to the couch while Henry disappeared into one of the room. 

Joon touched her arm, reaching over to brush her hair from her face. He gazed at her sleeping while running the back of his knuckles gently across her cheek.

“Please move aside.” 

Henry threw the throw over her body and tucked it around her. Joon clenched his jaw, staring longingly and jealously as Henry rested his hand on her hip and leaned down to kiss her cheek.

“Goodnight Amber.” Henry whispered. Amber stirred a little, her lips before settling back to sleep. “Hmm, good nice hamburger.” He chuckled and got to his feet. “Let’s leave.”

Joon closed the front door behind him quietly and shrugged into his leather jacket. “I didn’t think this would happen.” He scoffed to himself but was overheard by Henry. “What?” Joon looked at him blankly. “I said, I didn’t think this would happen. You and Amber.”

“Explain yourself.” Henry stopped in front of his car. “Before I do something I’ll regret.” He crossed his arms to keep himself to him.

“Both of you are from different worlds. You’ll never have a perfect ending like anyone else. Why?” Joon shoved his hands into his pockets and shrugged. “Because you’re both different.” He repeated. 

“You sound very original. Are chaebol dramas your favourite genre, Lee Joon-sshi?” Henry replied sarcastically. “Anymore creative reasons?” He gave off a cold smile. “Because there isn’t an evil mother waiting to pounce since my mother died when I was young and as most stories goes, stepmothers aren’t the bad guys.” 

“Lookie here. A drama junkie.” Joon chuckled, looking to the dark sky before staring at him darkly. “Okay, let’s try another scenario. I like Amber and I want her even though we did agree to just be friends and..Oh! By the way, I asked her out some time ago. Did she mention that to you?”

“No, she didn’t. I guess it wasn’t as important as it is to you for her to tell me about it.” Henry replied and added. “It doesn’t really matter now, does it? It’s clear who the guy is by her side.” 

If there was a scoreboard before them, it would read as Henry – 2 and Joon – 0.

“Don’t get too roostery.” Joon maintained his cool composure even though he’s boiling on the inside. “The game is only starting. Let me ask you a simple question. How much do you know about Amber?”

“What type of question is that? Your attack is getting weak.” Henry switched off his vibrating handphone and glanced at her house. “I can answer it for you.” Joon walked up to him as the leaves at their feet spiraled a few inches off the ground when the gust of wind blew.

“What you know about Amber is nothing to be smug about.” Henry eyed his hand as Joon rested it on his shoulder. “So what makes you so sure you’d want to be involved with this girl that you don’t really know much about?” Joon swept invisible dust off his shoulder and straightened Henry’s coat. 

“She’s smart, friendly, loyal, fiercely protective and sometimes wacky.” Henry grinned at the thought of her and looked at Joon straight in the eye. “And most importantly, she may not be as beautiful as other girls that I’ve met but she is the most beautiful one to me.”

“Shall I give you a round of applause for this amazing declaration of love?” Joon said dryly. “True, she is beautiful.” His mind replayed her bright smiles and infectious laughter. “But this doesn’t answer my question. Do you know why she decided to work for Matsuka? What is she really doing for him? Has she ever told you about her childhood? I assume, you know that she’s an orphan.”

“You don’t know?” Joon acted shock before a smirk followed at Henry’s reaction who had taken a step back. “Joon, one. Henry, two.”

“She has never mentioned her parents before.” Henry muttered under his breath. 

“Do you want to know what’s she like after her parents’ death? And how did that led to her working for Matsuka? Everything’s related.” Joon closed the distance between them and taunted him. “So, answer me. How much do you know about your beloved Amber? You ignorant lovesick chaebol.”

“Shut up.” Henry warned him as his fist in his pocket tightened. “Why? Have I stepped on your tail?” Henry pushed him away when he came too close. “You don’t have an answer to it. Am I right?” Henry grabbed him by the jacket lapels and swung his fist.

“Why did you stop?” 

Henry glared at Joon who was smiling smugly at him as his fist trembled a few inches away from Joon’s face. 

Henry was frustrated because he knew Joon was right. He doesn’t have an answer to his question. Henry has never pressured her or attempt to pry into Amber’s life because he believes she would tell him, on her own account, when the day comes.

Henry dropped his arm and shoved Joon away who stumbled backwards casually, the smug smile still lingering on his face.

“If she doesn’t tell you and you’re dying to know what her life was like, please feel free to contact me. I’ll answer whatever you want to know.” Henry ignored him and entered his car. 

“Think about it, lover boy.” Henry stepped on the gas pedal and sped away before he could change his mind about pummeling Joon to the ground.

Joon watched the tail lights of the car disappeared around the corner. “The game’s only starting.” He smirked and pulled the hoodie over his head. 

He walked away whistling just as the lights in the house came on and a figure stood by the window.