Chapter 15

Zero Gravity
”How’s Amber?” BoA asked when Joon entered the living room. “She’s still asleep but the fever has subsided.” He dropped himself into a bean chair next to Krystal. “How is it going with the search?” All of them had gathered in the living room as they discussed about last night’s incident.

“So far, we’ve got nothing on our hands.” Krystal answered him without breaking her attention on the game she was playing on the laptop. “What about Matsuka?” Joon asked.

“He’s at a safe place.” BoA leaned back into the chair and crossed her legs. “My men are with him all-round the clock so just focus on the task in hand.”

“Nuna,” Kibum looked up to the ceiling, then to BoA. “You mentioned Matsuka was shot in arm right?”

“Yes, that’s correct.” She nodded and reached for her handphone. “Why?”

“Because, I dare say, Matsuka isn’t the one the assassin was after.” Victoria sat herself on the edge of the chair. “What are you talking about?”

“I mean, think about it,” Kibum lifted his legs and propped them on the coffee table, much to Victoria’s dislike. “Kibum, feet, off the table.” She snapped and he set them back down. “The sniper would be without doubt a professional. Agree?” He leaned forward, his arms resting on his thighs.

“And it was a pretty clear shot for him since the Matsuka was by the windows and nothing was obstructing the sniper’s view. So,” Kibum tilted his head. “How could he have missed Matsuka?” The room was quiet as the others thought about his words.

“Oppa has a point.” Sulli nodded, playing with her hair. “The sniper couldn’t have missed the target unless..” She looked over to Kibum, alarmed. “It was only to lure the real target out.”

“That’s what I think so too.” Kibum pursed his lips. “The assassin could be after Amber.”

“How can you be sure of that?” BoA watched him, unconvinced. “I’m not sure of anything, it’s just my guess.” He folded his arms and settled back into his seat. 

“If Matsuka was the target, the sniper would have him killed immediately after missing him the first time. But no,” He closed his eyes, pinching his nose bridge as his eyes were stinging from the lack of sleep. “The sniper only started shooting again after Amber appeared by the window.”

“If that’s the case, we have to get her out of here.” BoA read the newly received message on her phone. “But this is the safest place for her!” Victoria exclaimed.

“Then forgive me for being blunt.” BoA stared at her blankly. “The assassin that was sent to kill Amber could be hired by an enemy of Matsuka’s. We cannot allow them to find the base. This mansion has valuable information that would bring Matsuka down if anything were to leaked out.”

“But we can protect unni,” Krystal looked to others. “This is our territory. It’s six versus one guy.”

“If she stays, you all will be in danger.” BoA turned her head to the side. “What do you think, Amber?” The others looked up as Amber entered the room and took her place next to Sulli. 

“Unni is right,” Amber shushed Krystal when she made disapproving noises. “I can’t be selfish and remain here, leading danger to you. So, what’s your plan?”

“You’ll rotate your stay daily among Matsuka’s many hotels and there’ll be security with you 24 hours.” BoA replied without looking at her, her eyes still fixed on her phone. “You’ll remain there until its okay for you to return.” She sent the message and got up from her seat. “If there’s nothing else, I’d be going.”

“I’ll walk you to the door.” Amber accompanied her to the entrance of the home. “Amber, I hope you won’t blame me for separating you from the others,” BoA turned around to face her. “It’s only for the best interest of everyone.”

“Yeah, I know that. Staying here would bring more harm than good.” Amber smiled and wrapped her arms around the older woman. BoA gave her a squeeze before letting go. “Take care. I’ll send a car to pick you up later.” 

“Amber,” She closed the door behind her and faced Kibum. “Yes hyung?” He pulled her aside. “If you are the real target and when the assassin knows that you’re alive, he will come after you again.”

“That’s why I should leave this place. Even if he does come after me and things don’t go as planned, at least there’ll only be one casualty,” She pointed to herself. “Me.”

“No one’s gonna die.” Kibum said fiercely, staring at her. “And I’m gonna make sure of that. So, I have a plan.” Amber looked at him with curiosity. “Why didn’t you suggest it during the discussion?”

”I figure the less people who know, the better.” Kibum pulled her closer, filling her in about his plan. 


 
________________________________________
 
 

“You failed to eliminate the target. The woman is still alive.” The man was cleaning his gun while the male caller shouted through the phone’s loud speaker. “I have paid for your services but yet this is all you can do?!”

“Then please accept my apologies.” He put down the cloth and assembled his gun. “There won’t be a second mistake.”

“It better be it. Or else,” His client growled. “You’ll find yourself in a mess.” The man wasn’t affected by his threat and he pulled the trigger, testing the gun. “I’ll get rid of her this time.”


 
_______________________________________
 
 

“Miss,” The head of security stepped out of the elevator next to her with his men following behind them. “This floor is cleared out so there won’t be any occupants except you.”

“Okay.” Amber waited by the door while his men entered the room, checking out the place. “Coast is clear, sir.” He nodded and stepped into the hotel suite after her. “You would have the privacy of your own room and if there’s anything wrong, please call me.” He bowed and left the room.

“Sunbae, who the hell is she?” The man closed the door behind him quickly, glaring at the junior member of the team. “Shut your bloody mouth Giyoung.” He hissed while motioning to the room. “Can’t you wait for me to shut the door?”

“Fine, so who is she?” Giyoung repeated his question. “I’m not pulled out of the other team guarding Matsuka to babysit a woman!” His superior dragged him away from the door, gesturing the others to stand guard. “Lower your voice, you idiot.”

“She’s someone that’s far more superior to you,” The man glared at Giyoung. “Watch what you say if you don’t want to get in trouble.” Giyoung wasn’t impressed. “So you don’t know who she is either?”

“No, I do not. And I don’t plan on going around sniffing out her identity.” The man looked at his watch and crossed his arms. “BoA agashi gave us orders to protect her, and we do as she says. No questions asked.”

“Whatever” Giyoung scoffed, running a hand through his hair and looked over to the room next to Amber’s. “We were extracted from protecting the main priority for this woman that I’ve never heard before.” Both of them watched a hotel maid exit the room with dirty towels in her arms and bowed at them. “This is bulls.hit.”

“Whatever it is.” The man observed the maid who’s waiting for the elevator. “Don’t get do anything stupid.”


 
~~


“Amber, how’s it going?” Amber came out of the bathroom with her handphone wedged between her shoulder and her ear as she dried her hands with a towel. “The view’s good from here.” She stood by the window and looked down at the streets.

“I hope all goes well tonight.” Kibum went around the room checking on the men who were following the hotel’s surveillance camera feeds. “I hope it does too.”

“Don’t worry. I’m in the hotel room next to yours. I’ll head over if there’s anything wrong.” Amber switched off the lights in the room and dragged a chair near the window. “It’ll be alright.”


 
~~


“When’s our shift ending?” Giyoung asked the man next to him. “In another fifteen minutes.” 

“Yes.” He pumped his fist in the air. “After five hours of staring at the empty hallways, I can finally go home and have a good night’s rest before guarding this chick again tomorrow. By the way, where are sunbae and the others?” He looked around. “It shouldn’t take that long to patrol the hallways.” He tried contacting them with the walkie-talkie but there was no answer.

“Something’s not right.” Giyoung took out his gun, checking the ammo and switched off the safety feature. “You stay here, I’ll go look around.” Giyoung patted his shoulder and proceeded down the hallway.

But just as he turned the bend, his partner’s head jerked backwards and slumped on to the carpet floor as a figure searched his body. He inserted the key into the card reader and pushed open the door when it blinked green.

The man closed the door behind him quietly and pulled down his mask, navigating through the darkness of the room. He walked past the living area and entered the bedroom, his eyes fixed on the body in the bed.

He moved closer to the bed, directing his gun at the head and pulled the trigger. “My job is done.” He whispered and reached down to turn the body to face him. 

“What the..” He stared at the synthetic hair in his hand and looked back to the pillow where the ‘head’ was supposed to be. Bewildered, he pulled the blanket away and the ‘body’ he saw was actually pillows angled in a way to resemble the shape of a body. 

“Put your hands up!” He turned around when Giyoung rushed into the room but before he could make another move, a bullet flew through the window and penetrated his head. 


 
~~


“He’s here.” Amber got off her seat and positioned herself by the sniper rifle, focusing on the hotel room where she was supposed to be spending the night. “He arrived by the staircase and killed the head of security and his men when they were making their rounds in the hallway.”

“Hyung, are you sure the bait would work?” She asked, fitting the ¬¬¬¬¬thermal imaging scope onto the rifle. “The curtains are drawn tight and there’s minimal light in the room. The only thing he can make out in the dark is the figure of a person with black hair sleeping on the bed.”

“Where is he now?” Amber looked into scope and saw Kibum standing by the window in the room next to hers. “He’s advancing towards the room now.” She switched on the thermal imaging and waited for Kibum’s signal. 

“He’s inside the room.” He whispered into his handphone, watching the man in the monitor disappeared into the room next to his.

“He’s all yours.” Her finger lingered at the trigger when a mass of red heat appeared in her telescopic sight. She watched the figure walked across the bedroom, raising his arm in the direction of what she guessed was the bed. “Can’t find what you’re looking for?” She whispered as he tugged the blanket away. 

“That’s because I’m not in the room.” She pulled the trigger and he fell a few feet away from the force of the bullet just as another body heat appeared in the room. “Hyung, there’s someone else in the room.” 

“Yeah, it’s the remaining survivor of the security assigned to protect you.” Kibum answered her and he entered the next room through the connecting door of the two rooms.

“Who are you?” Giyoung aimed his gun at Kibum and glanced at the dead body by the bed. “I’m on your side so put the gun down. I’m not gonna harm you.” He waved a lazy hand at Giyoung and approached the man Amber had just killed. 

“You still haven’t answered me. Who are you?” Kibum answered without looking at him. “That’s none of your concern.” 

“Of course I have to know!” Giyoung shouted, raising his gun at him. “Everyone on my team was killed and I entered this room only to find a man shot dead in front of my very eyes before you appeared. Tell me what’s going on before I shoot you.”

“I wouldn’t if I were you.” Amber appeared from behind and knocked the gun out of his hands. “You don’t seem to take orders very well.” 

“Hey, you’re the woman that we escorted into this room!” Giyoung stared at her and his eyes ran down her body. “Why are you wearing a maid’s uni— wait, you’re that hotel maid that I saw earlier!” Amber nodded, dropping the large bag she was carrying onto the bed. 

“I’ve sent my men to confiscate the stuff in his car.” Kibum said, turning out the pockets with pieces of paper and a handphone. “Perfect.” He pocketed the item and stood up. “I’ll crack this thing as soon as we get home. Clean this place up.” At his command, a group of men reached down and carried the body away.


 
________________________________________
 
 

“What have you got?” Amber entered his room and pulled up a chair next to him, peering at the computer. “I’m still halfway through the firewall.” He tapped the laptop that belonged to the dead man. “And I’ve extracted the phone numbers. It’s over there.”

“Victoria has been nagging me nonstop for not letting them know about our plan yesterday.” She said, flipping through the papers. “She mumbled that she’d die earlier than expected from worrying about me.” 

“Nuna, as always.” Kibum chuckled and tore his gaze from the computer. “You can ignore the first few pages.” He flipped to the last page and pointed at the last number on the list. “His call log consists of only incoming calls and this is the last received call, at noon.” 

“I have the audio call log, let me find it.” He went through the files in his computer and turned up the volume. 

“Have you tried locating the number?” Amber asked after listening to the conversation between two men. “I did but the handphone was dead so there’s no way for me to locate the man. I’ll be able to pick up his GPS position once the handphone is switched on,” He paused. “I have a feeling the man knows what he’s doing.”

“He probably knew he could be traceable to anyone once the hired killer was intercepted. And this might not be his primary number; he could be using this number only to contact our John Doe.” She pushed back her chair. “Okay, just let me know when you have his position.” Kibum nodded and went back to his work.

Amber returned to her room and entered her walk-in closet, picking out the outfit she would wear. After tucking her skinny jeans into the combat boots, she walked to the drawers at the corner of the room and tugged open the third drawer. She ran a finger across the various guns snuggled firmly in its protective black foam and reached for her favourite. 

She slipped the gun in the waistband of her jeans and walked out. Her eyes immediately fell on the person sitting at her bed. “Hello.”

“When did you get in here?” She looked at Joon suspiciously as she didn’t hear her bedroom door open. “Or were you here all along?” She zipped the front of her leather jacket when she saw him staring at her body. “Did you watch me change?” She felt her temper as well as her face heating up.

“Maybe, maybe not.” The side of his mouth lifted into a smirk and winked at her. “You ert!” Amber reached out to smack his cheek but he caught her wrist. She grabbed his arm with her other hand and swiftly twisted it behind him. “You better get in line if you want to rattle my nerves ‘cuz if you haven’t noticed, I’m still annoyed about the assassination attempt on me.”

“Amber, chill. And let go.” Joon winced when she intentionally added pressure on his arm before releasing him. “By the way, you have a nice body.”

“So, you did watch me change!” Amber looked at him disgustedly. “Especially your .” Joon laughed as he moved out of her reach. “D.amn you, Joon.”

“It’s your fault for not looking around before changing out your clothes.” He crawled to the middle of her queen size bed and rested his arms behind his head. “I was already in your room when you rushed in.”

“Why must I look out for people before changing? It’s my room!” She reached into the drawer of the vanity table and pulled out a knife. “So now you should and what are you doing with the knife in your hand?” His eyes widened and he slowly inched off the bed.

“What do you think?” Amber smirked and locked the bedroom door behind of her. “Um, I have two scenarios on my mind.” Joon leaned against the wall and crossed his ankles, returning her smirk. “Either you’re gonna hack me with that knife or,” He nodded at the locked door. 

“We’re starting a hot make out session which will further lead to se— YAH!” Joon shouted as he ducked from the flying knife. “Now you know which the right answer is.” Amber hissed at him.

“Hey, I could have easily died just now!” He stared at the quivering knife on the wall that was a few inches from his head. “Serves you right.” She pulled the knife out and slipped it in her right boot. “Anyway.”

“Now that you’ve canceled out my first scenario, let’s get to the second.” Joon tugged her wrist and pushed her against the wall. “It’s time to make up for the fright you just gave me.” His lips were almost nearing hers when he let go of her and crumpled to the ground, holding onto his private part. “What the hell!” He wheezed.

“Can’t blame a woman for defending herself.” She aimed her boot at him, pretending to kick him where it hurts again. 

“Where are you going?” Joon asked, watching her unlocked the door. “I’m heading to BoA’s office to update her about the current situation.”

“Be careful.” She lifted her hand, giving him a quick salute before disappearing. “Yah Amber! You’re accountable for your actions if I don’t produce babies!” 


 
________________________________________
 
 

“Amber-shi.” BoA’s secretary bowed at her and stepped out of his desk. “How may I help you?”

“Is BoA sunbae in?” Amber glanced at the frosted glass windows of her office. “No, she left the office just before you came. Didn’t you see her on your way in?” She shook her head. “Will she be away from her office for long?” 

“I don’t think so. She just went to retrieve something from her car.” He glanced at his watch and fidgeted. “Bye Alex! See you tomorrow.” A woman walked past his desk and waved him goodbye. “Yeah, bye Eunmi.”

“Why don’t you let me into her office? You can head home, it’s not necessary for you to wait along with me.” Amber suggested when he looked at his watch again. “Really?” She nodded.

“Thank you Amber-shi.” Alex swiped the card and tapped the password before pushing the doors open. “I have a date with my girlfriend and she said she’ll dump me if I arrived late again.” She laughed and shooed him away. “I’ll be fine by myself, you go ahead.”

Amber closed the door behind her and dropped herself on the couch at the corner of the room. Voices outside the office slowly faded as people were headed home from work and soon she was the only one left in the department.

She brought out her handphone and reached into her jeans for the number she had jotted down from the contact list. “It won’t hurt to give it a try.” She muttered, keying in the number and pressed the green button. She looked around the neat and minimalistic office while waiting for her call to be accepted.

Amber snapped out of her thoughts when a ringtone filled the room and she walked to the desk, where the sound was coming from. Huh?

Amber ended the call and redialed the number, hoping she was thinking too much into it but it rang again. She stood frozen on the spot and pulled the drawer, the handphone was buzzing in circles at the bottom of the drawer.

She checked the caller ID. “It’s my number.” Amber stared at the phone. “What the..” Her heart rate increased and felt the room growing warmer by the second. “Unni.. it can’t be her..” 

“No.” Her hand flew to as she went through the call log. “No.. unni would never do this.” Amber threw the handphone into the drawer and kicked it close. “Surprise, surprise.” She looked up at the sound of her voice and backed away.

“I see you’ve finally found the culprit.” BoA stood by the door of her office, smiling lazily at her. “I was wondering how long it would take for you to find out.” She slammed the door behind her with the kick of her heel. “To be honest, I was a bit disappointed.”

“Why?” Amber asked, opened in shock. “Why did you send an assassin after me? Is this a test?” She backed away when BoA walked towards her.

“No. But if it was, I would probably give you a score of seventy.” BoA crossed her arms and tilted her head to a side, an amused grin on her face. “The door’s locked by the way.” Amber looked away from the room’s only exit. “You still haven’t answered my question.” She said, looking at BoA cautiously.

“Once you’re dead, my position would be safe from harm.” Her cheery expression changed into something darker and her voice grew cold. “Of course, I knew the assassin won’t be capable of finishing you off, I just added him into the picture to make it more fun.”

“But unni, I’ve never thought of taking over you!” Amber was now standing in front of the desk with BoA directly opposite her, behind it. “You were there when I turned down Matsuka’s offer.”

“Don’t lie to me!” BoA shouted as she swept the contents off her desk, the crystal banister lamp shattering into pieces on the ground. “He called you into his office again the second time, asking you to reconsider your answer.”

“Yes, he did but I remained firm with my decision.” Amber took a step back in alarm when the older girl leaped across the desk. “You will change your mind later. Of course, for now you’re not interested in it,” BoA hissed, reaching for a broken glass shard on the ground. “But power does invoke lust in a person no matter how much they try to deny it.” 

“Unni, you’ve known me longer than the others, you should know the person I am.” Amber’s fingers grazed the top of the heavy leather chair. “I’ve never been interested in power.” She added, inching herself closer to the frosted windows.

“A lot changes during the courses of time, including people.” Blood streamed down BoA’s hand from grasping the glass too tightly. “You mean like how you’ve changed into an intimidating, power crazy woman?” With that, Amber threw the chair at the glass windows.

The windows shattered and she ran out of the office, taking out her handphone as she rushed towards the elevators with BoA hot on her heels. Amber cursed under her breath when the number dialed was busy and she suddenly fell on all fours.

“Where do you think you’re going? I’m not yet done with you.” Amber rolled aside to avoid BoA’s foot and got to her feet, quickly taking up a defense stance. “Unni, please. Think about what you’re doing right now.” She begged her.

“I am perfectly clear about what I want to do and that is to kill you.” BoA lifted her leg and swung it at Amber who blocked it with crossed arms. Amber swiped her arm, aiming for the blond’s head but the latter ducked out of the way and swept her off her feet.

“You seem to be forgetting something.” BoA kicked her in the stomach before pulling her to her feet, her fist colliding with Amber’s cheek. “I was your teacher. I know how you think, what technique you’d use, your strength and weaknesses.” Amber spun around and kicked her leg at BoA but she merely grabbed her ankle and threw Amber away from her. 

Before Amber could react, something shiny and metal flew past her eyes, striking her in the head and darkness enveloped her.

 

________________________________________
 
 

“Hey, the number is back on.” Krystal sat on the ground next to Kibum in the living room. “Yeah, it appeared on the grid a few minutes ago.” His fingers skimmed the top of the keyboard and with several clicks on the mouse; he had found what he wanted. “Oppa, why does the GPS location shows Matsuka’s building?”

“I have no idea.” He launched a different program on his laptop and let it run as Joon entered the room with Victoria.

“The handphone’s frequency shows it’s on the same floor as Matsuka’s,” Kibum focused on the 3D layout of the office building and the tracker came to a stop. “This is.. it’s nuna’s office.”

“Amber’s meeting up with BoA, I’ll let her know about this.” Joon told them and dialed her number. “She’s not picking up her phone.” Kibum entered her number into the tracker and located her GPS location. “She’s in the building too.. in the same office.” He looked at the others in confusion. 

“We’ll head over to the office now.” Victoria pulled Joon with her and exited the room, leaving Krystal with him. “Oppa, what should we do?” 

“Get the floor’s security footage.” He tried calling Amber again. “Oppa, look at this.” She shook him to get his attention. The camera feed displayed BoA’s ruined office and she switched to another angle, this time it showed the mess along the cubicle lanes. “Find Amber.” Kibum whispered urgently and both of them scour through the many video feeds.

“I found her. She’s in ‘Stairwell Camera 239’.” They watched a person pulling Amber’s limp body up the flight of stairs. “Unni’s..” Krystal gasped when he zoom the camera in. “That’s BoA unni dragging her. What’s going on?”

“Could nuna be the person who set the assassin on Amber?” Krystal watched him go through his files. “Oppa, are you out of your mind? What nonsense are you talking about?” Kibum pulled up a recording of BoA’s voice and feed it to a voice converter. “There are too many coincidences going on.” He compared the pitch of her converted voice and the man in the phone call. 

“Oppa, it can’t be unni.” Krystal opened in disbelief when the results came out positive. “Unni.. why should she do this to Amber? It doesn’t make sense!” Kibum messaged the others about his new findings and watched BoA pull the body up another flight of stairs. 


 
________________________________________
 
 

Amber opened her eyes and groaned, shutting them again when a sick feeling set in. She ran a tongue over her dry lips and came across a faint iron taste. Blood? She looked up to the skies when lightning flashed, followed by thunder and struggled against the binds at her wrists and ankles. “What the hell?” 

The side of her head aches and she leaned back against the cool wall. Oh yeah, my knife. She bent forward and reached for the blade she had kept in her boot with her tied hands. “You won’t find it there.” Amber looked to the side and there was BoA, leaning by the edge of the roof. 

“I’ve relieved you of your belongings. It’s right here with me.” She raised Amber’s gun and knife at her. “There’s no use for you to have it.”

“Unni, please stop your crazy actions!” Amber cried at her over the whistling wind. She felt a raindrop fall on her cheek and it started drizzling before breaking out into a heavy downpour. 

“I know, deep down inside, you’re planning of ridding of me too.” BoA walked over to her and unsheathed the knife. “I know I did when Hyori sunbae was still around.” Amber furrowed her eyebrows while her eyes followed the hand that was playing with the knife. “What are you talking abou—“ She gasped “You killed her?”

Amber first heard of Hyori when she was brought in as a trainee. She was Matsuka’s then head of security, BoA’s predecessor and she was really nice person, Amber concluded after bumping into her once at the office. Hyori was the first woman to be appointed to protect Matsuka and she did her job very well. That is, until she met with an accident while mountain climbing. They found her at the foot of a deep ravine, her body in a mangled mess which was the result from her fall that landed her on a sharp boulder. 

“People are dumb to think she would forsake her own safety to go mountain climbing on a damp day.” BoA ran her finger along the sharp edge of the wet blade. “But she was known to be a dedicated fan of mountain climbing so there was a huge possibility she was feeling adventurous on that day and accidentally fell to her death when she slipped on a wet surface. So no one pursued further.” 

“And you killed her just to take up the position you’ve been lusting after?” The respect she had for BoA immediately went out the window and she stared at her in disgust. “Nothing I wouldn’t do to get what I want.” BoA ran the tip of the knife along Amber’s collarbone and whispered. “She didn’t suffer, I assure you.”

“Do you remember the advice you gave me some time ago?” Amber tensed up when the blade glided across . “Continue.” BoA pressed the knife a bit harder and a drip of blood appeared. “You told me to stay away from Joon because you’ve had a bad feeling about him. You seem genuinely concerned about me then but what is this?” She shook her bound limbs at her. “The person I should stay away from should be you!”

“To be honest, if it weren’t for Matsuka, I wouldn’t pay any attention to you.” BoA threw the knife away. “If there’s anyone you’d like to blame, he’s the guy.” She pulled Amber onto her feet and smacked her across the cheek when she struggled against her. “Fun fact.” BoA pulled her to edge of the rooftop while the rain was beating down on them. “This building is fifty floors high.”

“Such a long way down to the ground.” Amber dug the heels of her boots into the cement surface, resisting from being dragged by BoA. “Unni! No! Please don’t this. Don’t do something you’ll regret!” She shouted; her wet hair plastered all over her face while fierce wind blew at them. “I didn’t regret it when I killed Hyori, so why should I now?” 

“Why didn’t you kill me yourself? You didn’t have to send the assassin.” Amber asked, trying to buy herself some time. “Why? Maybe because, I like to play with my prey before killing them.” Amber’s attempts of stopping her feet from sliding across the wet surface was futile and she pushed against BoA, hoping to break away from her.

She swung her elbow blindly and it hit BoA across the head, causing the latter to lose her footing and fall over the rooftop’s safety barrier. “Unni!” Amber shouted and threw body against the wall, her hands gripping BoA’s just in time.

“Oh my god! Help me!” BoA screamed as her body dangled midair, her legs kicking in panic. “I don’t want to die!” A gust of strong wind blew at them and Amber looked up to see a helicopter.

“Unni, don’t let go of my hand!” Amber shouted over the noise of the helicopter and bad weather as blood rushed to her face from straining herself to hold onto BoA while at the time, trying to prevent herself from falling over. “You’ll be fine!” Her wet hands were making it hard for her to hold onto BoA.

“Help me!” Amber shouted over her shoulder as BoA was slowly slipping from her grip and her arms were growing sore. “Amber! I’m falling!” BoA clawed onto Amber’s arm, trying to stop her from inching downwards.

“Hurry!” Amber screamed; rain and tears running down her face while only holding onto a wrist after BoA’s other hand escaped from her grip. “Amber yah!” For the first time, she saw fear in BoA’s eyes, the latter begging her not to let go as her wrist gradually slid passed her grip. “I don’t want to die!” 

Amber grasped wildly when BoA finally slipped out of her hands and plummeted down the building, letting out a shrill scream.

“Amberrrrrrr!”

She jerked awake, her breathing ragged as beads of cold sweat formed under her fringe. The jacket that protected her from the cold of the room fell from her body and she buried her face in her hands, trying to stabilize her heart rate.

“Amber, are you okay?” Joon who was sitting beside her, took his jacket from her and set it over her shoulders. “You were mumbling in your sleep.”

“I’m fine. Just went through a dream, that’s all.”

“Where are the others?” Amber looked around as the bright afternoon light seeped through the windows of the crematorium’s waiting lounge. They had been there since morning, waiting to collect BoA’s ashes before setting her to rest in the nearby columbarium. It’s been two days since the awful accident where they found BoA on the ground with her eyes wide opened, blood seeping from her head. 

“They went to collect her ashes.” 

“Why didn’t you wake me?” She got to her feet and immediately reached for her head when a sudden rush of blood to her head made her dizzy. “We wanted you to get a little rest.” Joon sat her back down on the seat. “You’ve slept less than five hours in the past two days and nothing has entered your stomach since.”

Amber didn’t want to sleep because she knew the scene of BoA sliding out of her hands and falling to her death would be replayed in her dreams like just now. She’s been an emotional train wreck, refusing to eat her meals and constantly brooding in a corner. Even though the girls have been bawling their eyes out over BoA’s death, Amber hasn’t shed a single tear. 

“This is my entire fault.” She whispered. “Nothing would have turned out like this if it weren’t for me.” Her finger traced the scratch marks that were left behind by BoA. “No, it is not your fault.” They have been feeding her this line whenever she starts blaming herself and she was annoyed.

Later, they watched the urn being settled in its niche and Victoria started crying again, followed by the twins. Amber wanted to cry but she couldn’t, it’s like her body had placed a lockdown on her emotions. After paying their last respects to the deceased, they returned home.

Amber told the others that she’d like to spend some time alone and they reluctantly let her out of their sight after she assured them she won’t be doing anything stupid. When she was in her car, Amber attempted to cry but even with the help of pinching herself, nothing came.


 
~~


“What are you doing here?” Henry hurried up the steps of his home when he saw her slumped against the front door.

“Oh, Henry! You’re finally back..” Amber slurred, pounding the door behind her. “I have been ringing your doorbell for ages!” She hiccupped and took another swing of her beer. “Where’d you go?” She stuck out her bottom lip, her eyebrows knitting together while he dropped the bags he was carrying and helped her up.

“I was at the grocers’.” He leaned her body on him and unlocked the front door. “Are you drunk?” He shoved the keys into his pocket and guided her into his home, setting her gently on the couch. “I’m not! Drunk!” She waved her arms around.

“You clearly are.” Henry closed the door behind him after bringing in the grocery bags and her bag of beer. “If I’m drunk,” Amber opened a new can. “I would be spouting nonsense out of my mouth.” She gulped the drink and wiped with the back of her hand. “And do you want to know a secret?” She squints at him.

“What?” He asked absentmindedly, coaxing her out of her jacket. “I don’t get drunk.” She hit her chest, kicking her shoes off at the same time. “No matter how much I drink.” 

“Then why do you appear drunk to me?” Henry chuckled and set her folded jacket aside. “No, I’m not.” She said, irritated. “I’m just..uhh.. tipsy? Yeah, tipsy!” Amber opened the tab of another can and shoved it into his hands. “Come, drink with me.”

Henry took a sip of the beer and leaned back against the couch. “Someone I know just passed away.” She said, out of the blue. “I just came from the columbarium.”

“I’m sorry for your loss.” She smiled at him ruefully. 

“Were you close with the person?” Amber looked down at her hands, then back to him. “I do consider myself somewhat close with her but it wasn’t exactly mutual.” She swirled the contents of her can. “I thought I knew her very well but I was wrong.” 

Amber stopped talking and pressed both hands over , her cheeks puffed out as she gestured wildly at Henry. He understood immediately and rushed her to the nearest bathroom. She skidded next to the toilet bowl and heaved into it while he held her hair back. Her knuckles grew white from gripping the sides of the bowl tightly and vomited again with Henry rubbing her back and wiping when necessary.

“Have you eaten your dinner?” Henry asked when he noticed she was only heaving out liquid. “No.” She answered weakly and slumped against him. “Have not eaten for two days.” She said before bending her head over the toilet bowl again. “Then you shouldn’t have drunk beer.” He muttered, a hand holding back her fringe and the other wiping with a tissue. “Are you done?” She nodded and he helped her to the bed. “I’ll make some food for you. Rest for now.”

Once in the kitchen, he rushed to cook her noodles and accidentally scalded a small part of his hand while preparing it. He later brought her the steaming bowl of food and she scarf it down within minutes. 

Amber retired to the guest bedroom after taking an aspirin to ease her headache and mumbled her thanks to him as he pulled the blanket over her. “You owe me one.” He said and glanced at his watch, it’s midnight. 

“I know.” Amber said sleepily, turning to her side and tugged the blanket under her chin. 


 
~~


“Dude, sleep.” He mumbled to himself. “You’re gonna get panda eyes in the morning.” Henry couldn’t fall asleep and had been toss and turning in bed for a while now. He flipped onto his stomach and covered his head with the pillow when his tummy suddenly growled. Henry pressed a hand over his stomach, hoping to quiet the calls of hunger but gave up when he couldn’t stand it any longer. 

“What should I have?” He opened the fridge and poured a glass of milk as well as stuffing his mouth with several cookies. 

Henry was returning to his room when he heard noises from the guest bedroom. He opened the door cautiously and peeked inside, a figure sitting on the bed with its back against the bed board. “Amber?” Her head turned to him and quickly ran her hands across her face. 

“Hey,” His voice came out in a soft whisper and he shuffled closer to the bed. “Are you okay?” He placed the remaining cookies on top of the glass and set on the bedside table. “I’m alright.” Amber answered him in a hoarse voice.

“Can I?” Henry gestured at the empty place next to her. “Yeah, sure.” She moved aside to give him more space and he climbed into the bed. “Do you want to talk about anything?”

“You came into the room in the wee hours of the morning just to ask me that?” She smiled tiredly as their elbows bumped together. “I couldn’t sleep so I went to rummage the fridge and heard noises in your room when I walk passed.” Henry reached to the side and offered her a cookie. 

“Thanks.” Amber bit small piece of it and dropped her hand on her lap. “Is there anything that I can do to make you feel better?” He asked.

“Yes.” Henry looked to his side when he felt a light pressure on his shoulder. “Just stay here with me. A while will do.” Amber adjusted her head on his shoulder, sighing when she found the right spot. He leaned his head back and closed his eyes, enjoying the quietness of the room. 

Henry was partially asleep when he felt something damp fall on his arm and opened his eyes. He listened to Amber sob as she sniffed discreetly, trying to control her emotions. He saw Amber raised a finger to her lips, biting it to suppress her sobbing.

“Don’t hold back.” The pent up emotions of hers which she hadn’t been able let out since the accident was finally appearing. “Just let it go. You’ll feel much better that way.” 

“Amber.” She broke down at the whisper of her name and allowed Henry to pull her finger away. “But I won’t feel any better even if I cry.” Amber sputtered, tears running down her face. “I’m the reason for her death! How can I feel better?” Henry put his arm around her shoulder and she started crying out. 

“She’s the person that I respect the most and we were really close but slowly drifted apart because of her work commitments and not long after, we hardly meet each other.” The words rushed out while she cried which made her unable to breath properly, gasping for air. “Amber, breathe.” 

“She changed a lot but I thought nothing more into it, brushing off her temperamental behavior as part of the stress of her job.” Henry wiped away her tears and patting her arm, comforting her. “But I don’t see how you’re the cause of her death, you shouldn’t put the blame on yourself.”

“She died because of me!” Amber lifted her head, staring at him as another round of tears ran down her cheeks. “Why is everyone telling me that I’m not to be blamed!”

“Okay, okay. Shh..” Henry guided her head back onto his shoulder and rested his cheek on her head, rocking their bodies gently like you would to put a baby to sleep.


 
~~


Amber yawned with her eyes shut and swung her leg over a pillow while wrapping her arm around another, pulling it closer. Upon resting her cheek on it, she heard the sound of thumping from within the pillow. Pillows have beating hearts? She rubbed her eyes and stared at the pillow, choking on her saliva. 

This is not a pillow, Amber snatched her arm away from hugging the sleeping Henry and unwrapped her leg from his. Her heart skipped a beat when she looked up and her face was merely inches away from his. She was so tempted to run a finger along his jawline but she didn’t, instead she left the bed and pulled the blanket over him. 

“It’s only six in the morning.” She muttered and gathered her things. She stopped by the bedside on her way out and looked down at Henry. 

“Thank you for last night.” She whispered, brushing his hair away from his face.

Amber hesitated for a second before pecking him lightly on his cheek to which he responded by brushing his hand over the area.