Chapter 18

Zero Gravity
“You’re awfully quiet today.” Amber said and grabbed a handful of popcorn. “Something is bothering you. Tell me.”

“Nothing’s bothering me.” Henry shook his head as he stared at the blank screen. “There aren’t many people watching movies nowadays.” He looked around the empty cinema hall.

“That’s because everyone has watched this movie and this is the last show of the night on a weekday.” She took a sip of her drink and wriggled herself into a comfortable position. “I’ve answered your question. Now answer mine.”

“I didn’t even ask a question.” Henry shut his mouth when she stared at him beadily. “Spill it. I know you’re unhappy about something.” He remained silent. He looks to his side when she got up from her seat abruptly and moved down a few rows.

Henry sighed and left his seat.

“You’re being childish you know.” Amber glared ahead while chomping down the popcorn. “Amber.” She snuck a peek from the corner of her eye when her name came out as a sigh.

“Respond to me.” 

Amber screamed and popcorn flew above their heads as he tickled her. 

“S-st-op! I ca-n’t—“ She was giggling, laughing, choking and struggling to breathe all at the same time while he continued the tickle attack. Another jerk from her and it was raining popcorn everywhere. “B-rr-eath-e!” And he stopped.

Amber giggled faded between gasps and she settled properly in her seat. She laid her head on his shoulder and rested a hand over her stomach. “My tummy hurts and we have no more popcorn.” She glanced at the popcorn littered around them.

“It’s time for us to lose weight. I felt a couple of spare tires at your waist.” Henry dusted popcorn from his lap and poked her. “Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say.” She slapped his hand away. “Feeling better now?” She asked.

Henry nodded absentmindedly and smiled wearily. “I just have a lot on my mind about work and stuff.” She pulled the longest part of her fringe and checked it for split ends. “You don’t want to talk about it?” She asked and he didn’t answer. “Okay. Fine, let’s talk about something else.”

“So, who won the game the other day?” Amber spreaded her arms and accidentally hit him on the stomach, knocking the breath out of him. “I lost and stop abusing me!” He jerked her head off his shoulder.

“It’s fun.” She slapped his arm. “Admit it, you at games and yet you consider yourself the best player around.” She nudged him. “Hey, I only lost by a ten point difference.” He muttered. “Did you leave me alone with Joon?” He scowled at her. “He went back into the house after I left?” 

“No, I saw him walking away when I checked outside the windows after I woke up.” Amber reached for her drink, frowning at his agitate state. “Why? Did he do something?”

Henry bit the insides of his lips and shook his head, smiling stiffly which he was sure it came out more of a grimace. He looked away from Amber’s questioning stare. As much as he dislikes Joon, he doesn’t want to ruin the relationship between Amber and Joon. Patience Henry, he breathed.

Amber knew he was hiding something from her as she observed him. He had turned away from her, refusing to look at her in the eye and a muscle at his jaw twitched. What did Joon do? She was sure something had happened between the two men and made a mental note to interrogate Joon later.

“Amber.” She broke away from her thoughts and glanced at Henry. “Yeah?”

“How come you’ve never mentioned about your family?” He watched her face contort in confusion. “What do you mean? I’ve introduced you to my siblings.”

“What about your parents?” Amber’s insides froze but remained poker face. “What about them? Why are you asking this all of a sudden?” She stared at him and added cautiously with a hint of accusation. “Did Joon mention something?”

“We just talked.” Henry said nonchalantly and he stared back, knowing he had struck something in her. “The two of you are not even close to being considered as buddies and you just talked?” Amber was gripping the sides of the seat and she tried to keep her voice even.

“How come you’ve never told me that you were an orphan?” Henry was also heating up. He was irritated because he’d only come to know about that fact through another person. Her eyes hardened. “What else did he tell you?” She whispered.

“So, it’s true?” Henry gaped at her. “Does that mean everything else he told me was true?” He was hurt. 

“What else did he tell you?” Amber shook him violently. She didn’t realize she was now shouting at him as he looked at her with a stranger’s gaze.

“He mentioned something about the way you were after your parents died and how you came to work for Matsuka. Something about how both of it are related.” Henry said softly. “Amber, what is going on?”

Amber got up just as the lights in the cinema dimmed. Henry followed her and grabbed hold of her wrist before she could dash out of their row. “Why are you not saying anything?” She looked up at him.

“I have nothing to comment as of now.” Amber snatched her hand from him and walked towards the exit. “Amber!” She stopped in her tracks but she didn’t turn around.

“Why can’t you explain anything to me?” Henry stared at her back and raised his voice. “Why are you running away? I have so many questions to ask.”

“How was your childhood like before your parents died? What happened to you after their death? What else are you hiding from me?” Amber took in a deep breath and controlled herself. “Are you even serious about our relationship?” Her breath got caught in . “How can we progress if we don’t know each other well?” Amber dropped her head and bit her lips.

“I really like you, Amber Josephine Liu.” Henry stood at the steps, his voice trembling slightly. “But if you walk out of this cinema, we’re done.” He said, not meaning it at all. He just wanted her to return to him.

“You don’t mean it.” She spoke his mind and Henry kept quiet.

Amber blinked rapidly to keep her tears in. She didn’t want to leave. She’d rather turn back but she couldn’t. She has to confront Joon. Her fist tightened as she took a step forward. 

“Amber.” 

Her hand hovered above the doorknob. 

“Please.” Henry watched her hand shook and retracted slowly from the doorknob. “Please don’t.” But his hopes fell when she reached out and pulled the door open.

A hand quickly wiped away an escaped tear and she ran out before she could change her mind. “I know you don’t mean it. Just wait for me.”

 
 
~~


Joon was walking back to his office with a cup of coffee and spotted Luna stepping out of the elevator. “D.amn.” He stepped backwards, looking around for a hiding spot when he was pulled into a janitor’s room.

He was grateful for the coffee lid or else his work shirt would have been drenched with hot coffee. He glanced around the small room. It was cluttered with mops, buckets, detergents and a staff list was hanging by the wall.

“Joon.” He looked down and found Amber sitting on a worn out swivel chair. “Sit.” He looked around and sat on an upturned bucket. “What are you doing here?” 

“I needed some privacy and the others are already in my office.” Amber kicked away her pumps and lifted her legs onto the chair. “I want you to answer me honestly about what I’m gonna ask you.”

“Why did you bring up my past to Henry?” Joon took a sip of his coffee and raised his eyebrows quizzically. “What are you talking about?”

“Don’t play dumb with me Joon. I am not amused.” She narrowed her eyes at him. “Henry said that you mentioned something about my past to him. I want to know why.” Joon tapped on the coffee lid which created a hollow sound and it annoyed her as he searched her eyes.

“You’re heartless.”

“What?” Amber was caught off guard by the sudden change of topic. “I only confessed to you a while ago and now you’re off with another man? I thought you said you’re just friends with him?” Although Joon had agreed to maintain their relationship as just friends, he still is interested in her. He only agreed so that he could keep her by his side but now there’s a problem. “Henry.”

“I’ve always liked him. I just didn’t know it at the point of time. I’m sorry.” Amber apologized. Usually, if she were to utter an apology to him, he would shoot her down with an ‘It’s okay’ or ‘I’m fine’. But this time, he didn’t. Joon just stared blankly at her.

“You’ve not answered my question.” She returned his stare.

“I still like you and I want you.” Amber blinked in surprised. “But Joon we’ve agre—“ Joon grabbed the sides of her chair and pulled her towards him in a swift move which she responded by pressing herself further back into the chair. 

“I want you as mine.” He said clearly and looked into her eyes. “Not anyone else’s.”

“What do you mean ‘as mine’?” Amber pushed him away, furious with his choice of words. “Am I a toy that can be passed around to whoever that wants to play?” Her right hand trembled in her lap and she clamped it down with her other hand.

“No! I didn’t mean that.” Joon touched her cheek and she slapped his hand away. “I really like you and I want you to be happy with me.”

“I am happy. With Henry. Is this why you brought up my past?” Amber’s voice shook when her brain matched up the pieces. “You want to break us apart.” She gaped at him.

“He doesn’t deserve you.” Amber put her hand out to stop him. “Joon, you’re only a friend to me. Don’t do this.” 

“Henry,” Joon caught her hand and raised his voice. “How can he protect you from any dangers of our world? And you’re no longer alive. Liu Yi Yun is officially recorded as dead years ago.” Her eyes widened in shock when he mentioned her real name. “What did you just say?” 

“You don’t exist anymore.” He shook her shoulders. “You’re dead.” And that’s when she let her hand free. 

The room fell silent.

She watched his cheek grew red as her chest heaved up and down because of her ragged breathing. Joon reached for his smarting cheek and turned to her. “Don’t ever say that again.” She whispered dangerously.

“Why? It’s the truth. Let’s just say that if he decides to legalize your union. I won’t be there to object because he’ll find out that the woman he’s about to marry isn’t alive anymore, but why is she standing next to him?” Joon watched her wipe the corners of her eyes. “He’ll know something is not right and abandon you. I can’t imagine the feeling of betrayal.”

“Stop it!” Amber shouted. She doesn’t give a damn that people outside could hear her. “Joon, stop it! I never want to remember that part of my past!” She slapped him again and he let her. “I’ve locked away that part of me! Why must you bring it up?!” 

“I’m telling you this so that you would wake up your fantasy and return to reality!” Joon grabbed her arm, shouting at her. “Being with him would only bring you pain.”

“And I won’t feel any of it if I be with you?” She asked angrily. “If I leave him, not only will I suffer, Henry would too.” Joon stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her.

“I don’t give a d.amn about him.” Amber was forcing a distance between them as he tried to embrace her. “You’re all that matters to me.”

“If you really like me, you would know that by doing this is, it’s hurting me even more.” She shoved him away. She tripped over a mop but caught herself. “So you’d rather proceed ahead even though you know that you won’t have a perfect ending together?” Joon said through gritted teeth.

“I’m not thinking that far into the future. All I know is, I want him in my life.” The image of Henry standing there alone in the cinema hall as he watched her leave pained her. She was uncertain about his feelings towards her now. Hate? She cringes at the thought of it.

“You’re selfish. Do you know that?” Amber felt the shivers as he stared blankly at her, like a blind man. “You know there is no definite future for the both of you and yet, you’re plunging head first into the unknown and dragging him down with you. Now I kinda pity the guy.” Joon smirked as he thought about it. “He doesn’t know what he’s in for.”

“Aren’t you selfish yourself?” Amber retorted, ignoring his earlier jab. “In your exact words, ‘you want me as yours’. Which also translates, you want me to be with you, no matter whatever my feelings are.”

“Bingo.” Joon grinned. “Wasn’t that hard to understand right?”

“I can’t believe you.” She shook her head.

“And I can’t believe you either.” He voice dropped to a whisper as he circled her. “Manipulating lover boy like he’s your puppet. Giving him false hope. Feeding him lies after lies.” Joon tutted. “He’ll never see the true you.”

Amber glared at him and he remained unaffected.

“Our conversation ends here.” Amber looked away from him and slipped into her heels. “We have a meeting in fifteen minutes. Do not be late or you’ll be fired, Mr. Lee.” She growled.

“I love the way you said ‘Mr. Lee’. Sounds so y.” He grinned at her and she narrowed her eyes. “I expect you to be respectful towards your sunbae.” Joon reached for her. “It’s only the two of us.” Amber caught his hand before he could touch her. 

She kicked his shin and twisted him around, forcing him onto his knees. “Watch your tongue.” She pulled his arm higher up his back which caused a loud cry from Joon before he suddenly started laughing to himself.

“You know, people would think we’re doing something naughty in here. Look at the mess around us and the noises we made.”

“My patience is wearing thin.” Amber forced his arm higher above his shoulder and Joon mischievously let out a loud groan. 

“Do not test me.” She swung him around to face her. “You have not seen me when I’m furious.” And closed her fingers around his neck. Joon grew red in the face and he was helpless as she had him pinned down on the ground with a foot on his chest. 

“And you do not want to meet the other side of me.” Amber said menacingly. There was no emotion in her voice and her eyes grew dark, staring coldly at him. The only people who’d have the privilege of experiencing this are her victims. “This is a fair warning.” 

At this point, Joon was choking and he tried prying away her death grip as she watched him struggle. He grew weak and the blacks of his eyes rolled back into its socket, leaving only the whites visible.

“Keep your behavior in check.” She said and eventually freed him. He rolled over to his side, gasping for air as his lungs were burning and he reached for his neck. “Are you trying to kill me!?” 

“That was just the preview of what is to come if you push the button too hard.” Amber whispered. 

“There is ten minutes left until the meeting. I expect the required materials to be on my desk and in everyone’s hands by the time ten minutes is up.” She told him curtly and exits the room.

 
 
~~
 
 
“Kang Jungwoo.” A photo of a handsome man in his mid fifties appeared on the white screen. “He used to be a close business associate of Matsuka’s until he threatened to go to the police if Matsuka doesn’t fulfill his wishes.”

“He owns the Aspire Resorts Group.” A slideshow of luxurious holiday resorts were displayed on the screen. “He’ll be holding a press conference for his newest project at one of his resorts.” She clicked and a hotel which was settled at the base of the snow capped mountain appeared. “We’ll finish him off here.”

 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

“You guys go ahead. I forgot something in my room.” Joon said and ran back up the stairs. 

“And hurry Luna! She’s not down yet.” Victoria called out after him. “I’ll go get her!” Kibum held up his hand and started up the stairs. “No. You come with me. You’re stalking the poor girl too much.” Victoria said and pulled him away by the collar.

Joon chuckled to himself while he walked to Luna’s room. “Victoria’s right. He’s around Luna a lot lately.” He shook his head and pushed the door open. “Luna, hurry up. We’re waiting for you.” He said lamely into the empty room. “Where is she?” He checked the bathroom. “Maybe she’s already downstairs.” He shrugged and sprinted to his room.

Only to find her in his room when he entered. 

“What are you doing here?” Luna turned around in surprise with a folder in her hands. He narrowed his eyes and snatched it away. “Don’t you know what privacy is?” He trailed off when he recognized the folder.

“What about you? Do you know the meaning of it?” Luna retorted and nodded at the folder. “I don’t think you do. Why do you have Amber’s profile with you?”

“It’s none of your business.” Joon snapped and shoved it inside a drawer, locking it. She raised her eyebrows.

“Although, it is interesting to know about her life. No wonder she said everyone on the team has secrets.” Luna said and walked past him. “How much did you read?” He asked, stopping her.

“Everything.” Luna stared at him. “She dropped out of school after her parents died and mixed with the wrong crowd, joining a gang.” She continued when he didn’t stop her. “A very well known gang, in fact. I’ve heard of them many a times. So I guess to be formally accepted into the gang, she had to complete a task to be recognized as one of them.”

“She was told to infiltrate a rival gang to retrieve information but she was caught and no one came forward to rescue her. She was abandoned by them. Left to die in the enemy’s hands.” Luna walked around his room, looking at his achievement awards that he had collected from high school. 

“She was tortured mentally and physically which took a toll on her and one day, she went ballistic. She killed her capturers with their own weapons before hacking the rival gang leader to death. She escaped and was brought into police custody when she was found drenched in blood, wandering around aimlessly.” 

“According to the police reports, she was bailed by her father.” Luna picked up a trophy and examined the fine print at the bottom. “From what BoA told me, Matsuka personally went to get her because he wanted to see the girl that single handedly killed the men of one of the many gangs that were supported by him. He was impressed and took her in.”

“There was no reason for her not to take up the offer. After all, she has no one else but her. So, Matsuka ‘killed’ her, putting an end to the life she lived before as Liu Yi Yun, as a precaution if anyone wanted to find her.” Luna turned to him with a blank face. “I was no different.” She told him.

“I ran away from a foster home. I was put there in the first place because the useless people that brought me into this world, only ever cared about drugs and nothing else. Not even their two daughters.” Her eyes hardened and her hand balled into a fist. “I entered an orphanage after my older sister died to keep me safe. She refused to give them the money that she had worked hard for to go to drugs and they got mad. They attacked me, threatening to throw me out of the window of our flat.”

“My sister gave in and passed them a thick envelope and they threw me aside. But my sister shoved a pouch into my hands and pushed me out of the house, shouting for me to run. I ran and didn’t turn back. My sister had tricked them into letting me go because inside the pouch was the bundle of money that she had saved.”

“I later found out that my sister had died after she was thrown out of the window and the people which I refuse to call as parents was charged with murder and put into jail.” She crossed her arms and looked outside of the window with her lips pursed. “While Amber was picked because of her ‘potential’, I was picked because BoA wanted a girl to get close to a man to obtain information.”

“At that point of time, I was desperate for cash and would do anything for it. I was given more money than I could ever imagine by BoA to work for her and I enjoyed every inch of the luxurious lifestyle while I was seducing the man. After she got the information that she wanted and killed the man, she gave me two choices. Either work for her or be silenced forever. I did not want to die and agreed to work for her.”

“Why are you telling me this?” Joon asked, eyeing her. “I just wanted to.” Luna shrugged and turned away from him. Because I want you to know about me. She sat on his bed and crossed her legs. “Should I let her know of your obsession with her?”

“What do you mean?” Luna reclined on the bed, leaning on her elbows as she watched him walked to her. “You’re obsessed with her. I found a stack of photos which I presume was taken without her knowledge.” She nodded at the bedside drawer. “The drawer’s locked.” He said.

“And I’m good at lock picking. An essential when you’re living on the streets.” Luna flipped her hair away from her face. “Why are you interested?” Joon stepped closer, only a foot away the bed. “You’re not denying it.” His face grew dark. 

“You like Amber. Correction, obsess is the better word.”

“Don’t avoid the question!” He shouted and pushed her down on the bed. “What are your intentions?” He hissed at her. She looked back at him calmly, their faces merely inches apart and grinned. “Who knows what my intentions are?” Luna replied coyly which further angered him.

“Stop beating around the bush.” Joon pushed her shoulder down firmly. “Fine. I’ll stop.” She threw a leg over his back and pulled his body closer to hers. “Why don’t you decipher my answer to your question?” She whispered.

Luna drew his head down and kissed him. Joon tried to pull away but she held on tighter to him, not letting him go as her tongue teased his closed lips. She wrapped her other leg around him, leaving no distance between them while her finger drew circles on the back of his neck.

At first, Joon remained unresponsive, refusing to kiss her but after a while, he felt his lips open and welcomed her in. Luna grinned when he kissed her back aggressively, their tongues dancing together before he pulled away and left kisses on her neck. She arched her back as he ran his hands around her body and rolled them over with Luna now on top of him.

Joon kissed her forcefully as a hand fisted her blond hair while the other roams across the curves of her body. She broke the kiss to pull his shirt over his head which he assisted her and threw the shirt away before crashing his lips on hers. 

Luna ran her hands over his well toned body, feeling the taut muscles beneath her touch as her hand slowly moved downwards, almost reaching his buckle when they both froze. 

“Luna! Joon! Why are you guys taking so long?” 

Joon pushed Luna aside and jumped from the bed while pulling his shirt over his head. “Don’t come out until I get Kibum away.” He combed his hair with his fingers in hopes of tidying it. “You look hot with the tousled hair.” Luna commented as she eyed him from the bed. “Even hotter when your shirt’s off.” 

Joon pretended he didn’t see her her lips and left his room. “I got my stuff.” He grabbed Kibum’s arm and slammed the door shut before the latter could see into his room. “Let’s go.” 

“Where’s Luna? Hey, are you okay?” Kibum observed him while Joon dragged him down the stairs. “You look flushed. Are you sick?”

“Yeah. Your face is red.” Luna appeared from behind of them. “What took you so long?” Kibum asked and she looked past him at Joon. “Something just came up.” She said and shrugged her shoulders. 

“What happened?” Kibum reacted like a worried mother, looking at her body for any signs of damage. “Did you hurt yourself or something?”

“No.” Luna and Joon stared at each other while the clueless Kibum fussed over her. “Something hot happened.” She winked at Joon and walked away. 

“Huh?” Kibum turned to Joon for an explanation. “What’s going on?”

Joon stared at the little minx sashaying away from them while tossing her hair over her shoulder. He thought of their heated romp which almost led to something else if it weren’t for Kibum’s interruption. The way she kissed him, the small hands of hers as it touched him and the feel of her in his grasp made him feel excited.

Although he knows clearly that he doesn’t like her and Amber is the one that he is after, he couldn’t stop himself. It was like the pent up frustration caused by Amber was finally let out when he allowed himself to do what he just did.

“I have no idea what’s going on either.” Joon mumbled. 

 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Henry dropped his travel bag on the floor and jumped on the bed with his arms spread open. He then buried his face in the pillow and grumbled before bringing out his phone to check for new messages. He’s been doing that very often since the argument between the two of them. He was hoping to see the familiar number appear after days of not seeing her. 

He was frustrated over their relationship. He cares a lot about her but her never ending secrets is making him, as much as he hates to admit it, doubtful of her feelings towards him.

Am I unworthy of her trust? Why does Joon know more about her than I do? The thing about us being two worlds apart. Maybe it’s true. Henry hit his head angrily, as if to knock out the previous thought. “I can’t be like this. He’s just trying to mess with you.” He got off the bed and looked out at the beautiful mountain view from his room.

“Maybe this conference is a good idea after all.” He got off the bed and stood by the windows. He stared at the vast land of snow as the skiers were heading back to the hotel in the last strays of sunlight.
 
 
~~
 

“Hey.” Joon stopped what he was doing when someone punched his shoulder. “Amber wants to talk you.” Sulli pointed to the balcony. “Tell her to come in soon. She’s been standing out in the cold for some time now.” He nodded and closed his laptop.

So lover boy is attending the press conference too. Joon shoved his hands into his pockets. And I thought I saw his doppelganger.

Earlier, while Joon was scouting around the hotel, a man at the check-in counter caught his attention and he was surprised to see him there. Joon quickly hacked into the hotel’s information system and a tour through the guestbook section confirmed the man to be Henry. He told no one and it was his little secret.

“This is gonna be fun.” He smirked and stepped onto the balcony. “Miss me?” 

Amber turned around with her arms crossed. “I want to set things straight. Everything said here, ends here.” She leaned against the railings and crossed her feet at the ankles. “Hmm.” He nodded and closed the sliding door behind him, locking it.

“You like me and only want the best for me.” Joon stood in front of her and smiled. “True that.” Amber stiffened when she realized he was nearer than she thought. “But I’ll be saying this for the last time and I hope you’d respect me.”

“I don’t like you romantically. You’re only a friend.” 

He smiled at her knowingly. “No, you’re lying to yourself. You do like me.” Amber stared at him in exasperation. “No! You are lying to yourself!” She shouted over the wind. “Why can’t you understand? I like Henry. You’re forcing the wrong message on yourself. I do not like you.”

“Listen at yourself.” Joon touched her arm but she pulled away. “Do you even know what you’re talking about?” Amber backed away from him. “I’m the right guy for you. I know you more than he does. He can never understand you. He’s an outsider that only knows,” He quoted with his fingers. “That projected image of yours.”

“Yes, I admit. I only let on what I want him to know but that doesn’t mean—“

“That’s what you call manipulative.” He laughed cynically and pushed her up against the wall, using his body to hold her down so that she couldn’t move. “The right choice is in front of you. You don’t have to hide anything from me. No need to live with a lie.” 

Amber squirmed under him as he leaned in and she moved her head away but he gripped her chin and kissed her. He backed away when the taste of blood was in his mouth. “You bit me.”

“And you lost the trust I had in you.” Amber took hold of his shoulders and kneed him in the stomach twice before sending a blow to his head. “I want you out of this mission.”

“That’s very unprofessional of you.” Joon tackled her to the ground. “That goes the same for you too.” She knocked his head with hers and kicked him aside. “I love fighting with you.” Joon smirked. “I have always found you attractive when you’re dangerous.”

Amber blocked his attacks and swept him off his feet, toppling him but he caught her ankle and pulled her down with him. Joon wrapped his arms around her and nuzzled her neck. It angered Amber and she kicked him in his manhood. 

He loosened his grip and she swung her elbow across his head, sending him into an unconscious state. Amber scrambled to her feet and pulled open the balcony door. “You brought this upon yourself.” 

 
 
~~
 
 
“He’s still in the casino.” Krystal reported to them while they waited for her cue. “Wasting several hundred dollars at one go.” 

“Who cares? He has the money to lose.” Kibum yawned and returned to his computer game. “Kibum, pay attention to your job.” Victoria hit the back of his head. “Why are you making me watch the CCTVs instead?” 

“Because you have nothing to do.” She rolled her eyes and looked around their hotel room. “Amber, where is Joon?” The latter looked up from handling her gun and shrugged. “I have no idea.” She answered curtly and Victoria didn’t press on.

“Really? According to Sulli, you were the last to talk to him.” Luna entered the room and threw a stink eye at her. “If you’re that eager to know where he is, you can search for him by yourself.” Amber snapped and stuck the gun behind her back, into the waistband of her jeans. “I’m heading out.” She fitted the ear monitor into her ear and slammed the door closed after her.

Kibum and Victoria looked at each quizzically as he mouthed to her. “What’s up with her?”

“Oppa! Unni!” Sulli dashed into the room with a look of panic as she gestured behind her. “Sulli, say something that we can understand.” Kibum said and imitated her incoherent words and weird hand gestures. “This is alien language.”

“Shut up Kibum.” Victoria shushed him and went to her. “Ssul, take a breath and tell us.”

“I found Joon unconscious outside on the balcony. I need you to help bring him in.” 

Kibum carried Joon inside the room and laid him on the couch as Sulli rushed over with a tube in her hand. She held it near Joon’s nose and he immediately jerked awake. “Joon are you okay?” Luna patted his cheek in worry. He pushed her away groggily and got to his feet. “Where am I?” He nearly tripped over his own feet.

“Hey, steady.” Kibum held him but he brushed him off. “Where is Amber? Where is she?” He looked about the room. “She left a few minutes ago.” Luna sat him back down on the couch.

“Oppa. He’s leaving with his men right now.” Kibum rushed back to his computers and scanned through the security cams. “Amber, Jungwoo just left the casino and is heading down Building 2’s ground floor. He should arrive at his penthouse in approximately ten minutes. Room 203.”

“Where are you going?” Luna asked when Joon walked out of the room after listening to Kibum. “Bathroom.” He answered sharply and uncovered his laptop from his jacket. He quickly closed the bathroom door behind him, locking it and picked up the hotel telephone by the wall. He punched in the number from the hotel guestbook and waited for the dial up.

“Good evening, Mr. Lau.” Joon looked into the mirror and observed his slightly bruised cheek. “This is the hotel reception. Mr. Kang Jungwoo had us to inform you that he’d like you to join him for supper right now.” He turned around and leaned against the counter top. “Yes. Other executives are also invited.” He lied. “Very good, Mr. Lau. Please head to room 203.”

“Thank you and have a good evening.” Joon placed the phone back on its receiver and chuckled. “Let’s see how you’ll deal with Mr. Lau now, Amber.”

 
 
~~
 

“Why are you here?” 

Luna adjusted her mask and fixed her hair. “I was sent as a babysitter because Victoria’s worried about you.” She scoffed and leaned against the wall. “I told her what’s there to worry about a girl who’s on her period? It’s just messing with your hormones.” 

“I appreciate your presence but if you dislike working with me, you can just head back to the room. I can handle this by myself.” Amber wore her leather gloves and mask as they hid in the shadows of large potted plants.

“Fine with me.” Luna got to her feet but Amber pulled her back down immediately. “Wait, there’s someone in the hallway. You can’t leave yet.” They listened to the light footsteps and Luna peeked out of their hide out.

“Hyung, have they reached the level of the penthouse?” Amber whispered into her mouthpiece. “No, they’ve not. And we have a problem. Henry’s here.”

“What?!” Kibum zoomed in on the man walking in the hallway and turned to Victoria. “Yes Amber, it’s Henry.” Victoria said and watched the other security cam. “Jungwoo and men are ten seconds away from exiting the elevator.”

“Get him away from there immediately if you don’t want things to get messy. And hurry.” Amber whipped her head around when Luna turned off the safety of her gun. “What the hell are you doing! We’re not killing him.”

“Who said anything about killing him? I’m just using this to scare him into our demands.” Luna walked out of their hiding spot and down the hallway. “Then there’s no need to switch off the safety.” Amber hissed as she followed Luna and fell silent when she saw him. 

Henry was swinging his head from side to side, searching for room 203 and didn’t notice the two women walking towards him until one of them pointed the gun at him. “Follow us and we won’t hurt you.”

He stared at the woman with the gun before turning his attention to the taller of the two who wasn’t looking him. They were wearing masks that covered their entire face except the eyes which made them unrecognizable. “You want money don’t you? Here, I’ll give you all that I have with me.” The blond wiggled a finger. “I have no interest in your money. I just want you out of here.”

The other woman nudged her accomplice and nodded towards the elevator down the hallway. She took out a key card from her pocket. “Get him inside. Quick!” 

Henry’s ears perked up when she spoke. Her voice. He stared at her but she refused to look at him. “Hey dude.” He looked back to the blond and she hit him in the jaw before grabbing his wrist and twisting it behind him. She forced him into the hotel room and closed the door just as the elevator doors open.

They stood in the dimly lit room and listened to the pad of footsteps on the carpet become closer. “Do not make a sound.” The blond handed the gun over to the other woman and rushed into the bathroom. He stood perfectly still even though the woman wasn’t holding him at gunpoint.

For some odd reason, he doesn’t feel threaten at all by this woman. He felt as if he could trust her even though she hadn’t said a single word to him. This is weird. He thought while he watched her tuck the gun away and looked up, making eye contact with him for the first time.

She walked closer to him and pointed at the door before pressing a finger on her lips. “Shh.” He stared into her eyes and he felt a sense of familiarity. He noticed the worry in her eyes, as if pleading him not to do anything stupid.

“Who are you?” Henry whispered. He reached out for her mask and she took a step back. He wanted to say something when a hand gripped his shoulder and clamped a cloth over his nose. He struggled at first but slowly lost consciousness as the chemical filled his nose.

“He’ll be out for a while.” Luna let him fall to the ground and tucked away the bottle of chloroform. “We’ll deal with him later.” She headed to the door and pressed an ear against it. “I think they should be in the penthouse now.”

“Hyung. Where is Kang Jungwoo?” Amber helped Henry onto the bed and touched his face while Luna looked on curiously. “They’re already in the penthouse. What did you do with Henry?”

“You know this man?” Luna went up to Amber who ignored her. “Luna knocked him out with chloroform.” She looked at Henry longingly and pulled out her gun. “We’ll head to the penthouse now.”

 
 
~~


Henry squirmed under the covers and fell off the bed when he rolled over the edge. “Ow.” He pressed a hand at the back of his head and checked his surroundings. He quickly untangled himself from the bed sheets as the previous night came back to him. “But this is my room.” 

He checked his belongings and found nothing missing. “Maybe it was just a bad dream.” He jumped in surprised when two loud bangs on the hotel door reached him. “Mr. Lau, this is the police. Please open the door.”

Henry knitted his eyebrows together in confusion and opened the door to find two plain clothed policemen. “We would like to have an interview with you. May we come in?”

“Yeah, sure.” He nodded absentmindedly, trying to make sense of the situation. “What’s the matter?”

“Mr. Lau, I’m Nichkhun and this is my colleague, Lee Han. We’re conducting an investigation and we hope you could answer a few questions for us.” Henry nodded. “There was a murder committed in the hotel last night. Have you seen anything suspicious during your stay here?”

Murder? Henry widened his eyes and thought of the two women. 

“When did it happen?” Nichkhun glanced at him suspiciously. “At approximately eleven pm. Why do you ask?”

“I’m not sure whether this is related but I was attacked by two women around that time.” The police officers exchanged looks and told him to continue. “I was asked to join Mr. Kang for supper and I was searching his room when I met the two women. They, uh, wanted me..” Henry struggled to recall his memories. “They didn’t rob me. They just wanted me to stay away from the hallway.”

“They forced me into a hotel room and one of them, I think, drugged me. I couldn’t remember what happened afterwards and I woke up in my hotel room this morning.” Henry said. “I couldn’t get their faces. They were wearing masks.”

“Anything else that can help us recognize them?” He shook his head and smiled apologetically. “One of them was a blond. That’s all I can tell you.”

“Okay, thank you for the information Mr. Lau. We would contact you if there is anything else.” Henry let them out of the room and closed the door. But curiosity got to him and he stepped out of his room, calling out to the police officers. “Excuse me.”

“Yes?” They stopped and looked at him. “If I may ask, who was the person killed?” 

“Kang Jungwoo and his security personnel.” Henry took step back in shock. 

 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

“Nichkhun is a police officer?” Amber swallowed the hot chocolate and it scalded . “Unni, what!”

“Calm down Amber. People are staring.” Victoria sipped her iced latte and stuffed a forkful of cake into Amber’s mouth to quiet her. “I found out just a week ago. Remember the man that chased after me in the dock yard? Yes, that’s him.”

“What are you gonna do? If this were any other case, he’d be dead before he could report to work.” Amber said. “I know. That’s why I’m telling you, I thought you could help me with this.” She pursed her lips and stared at Victoria.

“Does he know about you?” Victoria shook her head. “No, he doesn’t. The reason he told me his real identity was because he’s no longer a mole. He was just promoted to work with Jung Yunho’s team.”

“Jung Yunho?” Amber raised her eyebrows and took a small sip from the hot beverage this time.

“I’ve searched about him. He’s the team leader of a group of elite police officers who’s known for solving high profile gang related cases. They’re the ones that are always on our tail but never able to find any discriminating evidence.” Victoria frowned at Amber when the latter broke out laughing. “What’s so funny?”

“There’s one thing that you should know about Jung Yunho.” Amber smiled at her. “Do you remember the mole we have in the police force that I sometimes mention?” Victoria nodded even though she was confused but nearly dropped her drink when she understood what Amber was implying. “Jung Yunho is the mole? How come I don’t know about it?”

“I only knew about him after I took up this job. The ones who know are only Matsuka and I, so don’t tell anyone else about it.” Amber rested her elbows on the table. “He reports to me but I’ve never met him. I think he would have a good reason as to why he included Nichkhun in his team.”

“I really want to maintain a relationship with Nichkhun but I’m afraid of what will happen if this got to Matsuka’s ears.” Victoria bit her bottom lip. “What if Nichkhun steps out of the line and we’d have to kill him?” She her collar bone which was a sign of nervousness.

“I’ll tell Yunho to keep an eye on Nichkhun and your secret is safe with me. No one else knows about it?” Victoria shook her head. “Only you.” She reached for Amber’s hand and held them firmly. “Thank you. Nichkhun means a lot to me.”

 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Amber went through the witness reports that she had extracted from the police database and stopped when she found his file. She scanned through Henry’s witness report and pursed her lips at the part where he mentioned the two masked women. One of them was blond while the other didn’t have any recognizable features. 

“But why was he there?” She mumbled and flipped to the next page, scanning through the blocks of letters. “Mr. Lau was informed by the hotel reception that the victim, Kang Jungwoo had requested him to join for supper with other executives in his penthouse suite.” Amber read. “But further interview with the receptionist reveals there was no such occasion. The number that called Mr. Lau’s hand device was made from room 120.”

“That was the room we were in.” She muttered and continued where she had let off. “A visit to the hotel room showed no signs of occupation or break in.” After the assassination was completed, they cleaned up after themselves and made sure nothing was out of place before leaving the room. 

Amber played the audio clip that was attached to the file and listened carefully. She replayed the conversation between the mystery man and Henry as she tries to recall the voice, which sounded familiar.

“I put on a very convincing snooty accent right?” She didn’t hear him enter her office and he has already taken a seat in front of her. “You were the one who called Henry?” Joon shrugged which irritated her even more. “Why the hell did you do it?”

“For fun.” He replied to which Amber looked at him with a blank expression. Joon stared back and made funny faces, hoping to get a reaction out of her. But he was left with a frozen smile after she muttered the two words. “What did you say?” He asked in disbelief.

“F.cuk you.” Amber said clearer this time. “I will not tolerate this anymore. You are fired from your job. Go back to the team. I will explain this matter to your brother, so don’t worry.” She stood up and walked to the door, holding it open for him. “Leave before I call the security.” She added and he was still in his chair, stunned.

“Do you really think that this is going to stop me?” Joon asked and walked to her after his limbs found its strength. “The only difference is that you’ll see less of me but you can’t avoid me forever.”

“I take what I can get.” Amber eyed him when he moved in closer to her. “We’re at the office. Watch your behavior.” She reminded him and firmly guided him out of her office. 

“Maybe time will change you and bring back the old Joon that I know.” She said just loud enough for the both of them to hear. 

Joon glanced at her. “Maybe, maybe not.” He answered and walked away.

 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

“I figured you’d be here.” 

Henry stopped pushing his cake around his plate and stared at her wordlessly as she dropped herself on the seat next to him.

“Is this delicious?” Amber took his fork from him and tasted the cake. She nodded enthusiastically and cut a bigger slice of it. “This is good.” 

“What are you doing Amber?” Henry snatched back his fork and pulled the plate away which caused a frown on her face. “You could have just asked.” 

“Who started it first? You ate it without my permission.” He shoved large amounts of cake into his mouth, like a child would do when someone was trying to steal their food. “That was rude.” She shook her head at his behavior.

“Rukd hus toking.” Amber forced his mouth shut and rolled her eyes. “Dude, eat with your mouth close.” Henry scoffed and went back to finishing the cake while Amber looked around the place, trying to pull herself together. 

“I’m sorry.” He heard her mumble but didn’t respond. 

“Yah.” She nudged him with her folded arms and leaned against him as she stares at the ceiling. “I know you heard me. Don’t pretend that you didn’t.” Amber glanced at him and sighed before she started again.

“I didn’t have a normal childhood. My father was an alcoholic and abusive. I remembered my mother hiding me somewhere safe whenever he comes home drunk. Although I was hidden, I could hear my mother’s cries of pain and pleading. And if he finds me, I would get beaten too.” She thought of the bad times with a hard expression on her face.

“So, how did they die?”

“He was drunk as usual that day and beaten my mother up before leaving home to go drinking again. I guess my mother had a sixth sense that he was gonna be in trouble and so she followed him. She told me she would be back soon.” 

“But she never did.” Henry heard her sharp intake of breath and stole a glance at her. “Witness reports said that he dashed onto the busy road for no apparent reason and my mother tried to save him from an incoming vehicle. They never made it back to the sidewalk.”

“In other words, she was killed, trying to save the man that wasn’t worth saving.” 

“He’s still your father.” He said quietly and she hugged his arm to her, resting her cheek on it. “He is not.” Amber replied firmly. “Not long after their death, I dropped out of school and got along with a bad crowd. I hated the things that I had to go through and it was in the darkest moments of my life when a man gave me a second chance in life.”

“And the man’s Matuska?” She nodded and sat forward, looking past him at weather outside the café’s windows. “I love rain.” Henry followed her gaze. The dark gloomy clouds couldn’t retain it anymore and it was now raining heavily which doesn’t look like it was gonna let up soon. “It’ll be perfect if I were relaxing at home.”

“Then you shouldn’t be here.” Henry stared at her. Amber glanced at him and went back to watch the rain fall. “I wanted to.” She leaned on the window and fogged a small section of it with her breath. “Because I know you’ll be here.”

“Were you stalking me?” She drew a smiley on the window and sat back to admire it. “No. It’s because I always see you in this café whenever I come home from work. Did you forget that I live around here?”

“I know. So why didn’t you approach me if you knew I was here?” Amber looked at him and smiled a little. “Because you’re mad.”

“And what made you come today? I could still be mad at you.” Henry felt her reached up and cupped his cheek. “You said ‘could’. So that means you’re no longer angry.” She grinned. 

“I still am. What else are you keeping from me?” He pulled her hand away and Amber’s smile faded. “I dislike the fact that I had to learn about you through a third person.” Henry gently laced their fingers and rested their hands on his lap.

“Everyone has their own secrets that they swear they wouldn’t tell to another soul. I am one of them.” She looked down and traced the back of his hand with her finger. “You must have a secret that you’ll take to the grave with you too.” 

“Yeah but lis—“ 

“It’s only natural for people to keep secrets to themselves.” Amber continued without realizing that she had cut him off.

“Am—“ He tried to stop her but he was ignored again.

“It’s a part of who they are and things may become complicated once the secret’s known. I’ve never treated our relationship as a joke if that’s what you think. I’m sincerely interested in you but there are things which I can’t tell you.” She stopped talking when he held her chin and turned her to face him. “What?” Amber asked.

“You won the argument. I get your point.” She smiled at him. “Really?” 

Henry nodded impatiently and wrapped his arms around her.

“Yeah, really. Now shut up and kiss me before I give you a round of lecture for leaving me in the cinema.” The sides of his lips finally curved into a smile and she grinned back. 

“I missed you.” Amber whispered before her lips touched his.