Chapter 11

Zero Gravity
f(x) is BACK WITH PINOCCHIO! The teaser is damn awesome. I can't help it.. I HAVE to spazz. 8DDD So here is chapter 11, my dearest much-loved readers. Just wanna give y'all a heads up. This is a long chapter. Enjoy! :D
 
 
 
Victoria took a last glance at the compact mirror before shutting it and slipping it inside her bag. "Now," She placed a hand over her racing heart. "Stop beating so fast! It's not like this is the first time you're on a date with him." She adjusted her scarf and took in a deep breath.

"Hey," Nichkhun greeted her when he noticed her entering the shop. "Hi." Victoria said softly. "I'll be out in a minute." He told her as he took off his apron and went to the back of the store, leaving Victoria by the door.

"I'm back." He jogged up to her with his jacket on and led her out of the shop.

"Today's weather is a bit colder. Aren't you wearing anything thicker?" Victoria asked him as she wore her leather gloves.

"It's okay." He propped up his jacket's collar. "I'm used to the cold. Sometimes, I'd sleep in the cold because I didn't have enough money to pay for the electricity bill. I've been through colder days." Nichkhun reassured her when she looked sceptical. "I'm alright."

"I think we should go somewhere warm." She suggested while looking around the shops. "Most of them are closed."

"Yeah, because of the mid-autumn festival." He took her hand and brought her into an open restaurant. "Let's have this tonight."

They entered a small restaurant and the smell of barbecue meat made their stomachs rumbled with hunger. A lady came out from the kitchen when she heard the bell hanging above the door ringing and welcomed them, bringing them to their seats. Since there weren’t a lot of people in the restaurant, they decided to sit near the windows which were further away from the other customers.

"Do you live nearby?" She asked Nichkhun as he went through the usual routine of cleaning their cutlery. "Yeah, within Chinatown. Actually, I live just above the Chinese grocery store."

"My boss offered me the room upstairs when he found out I was constantly moving around different places. He said I'll be some sort of guardian of the store and let me have the room but I have to pay my own bills." Nichkhun paused to help the lady arrange the dishes on the small table.

"I think he meant you to be his store's security guard," Victoria laughed at him while laying out the slices of meat on the grilling plate.

"Yeah, but he's a nice guy." He flipped the meat he was grilling. "Seems fair, don't you think? He gave me a place to stay and I, in return, guard the store."

"Hmm." She nodded as she wrapped a piece of grilled meat with lettuce and place it in . "Samgyupsal." Victoria closed her eyes, enjoying the moment. "I love samgyupsal."

"Really?" Nichkhun grinned at her reaction. "It's like ecstasy for you huh?" To which she nodded furiously.

"Kind of." She wrapped another piece and offered it to him. "Come on." She beckoned him to eat it. Nichkhun was a little embarrassed when she did that but nevertheless ate it. "Thanks." He mumbled while Victoria looked on happily. "It's okay."

Nichkhun was preoccupied with thought as he looked at her grilling the pieces of meat and at the same time chatting to him. Tonight was supposedly his day off from spying because there was no activity at medical store since everyone's back home with their families for the lunar holidays. All he wanted to do after his shift ended at the grocery store was to go back to his room, take a long bath and read his pile of newspapers before going to sleep. But he had already promised to have dinner with her and had no choice but to skip his relaxing evening.

It's not so bad after all, he smiled at her when she looked up from her grilling, it's kinda nice to hang out with her.

 

~~
 

"Oh my," Victoria rubbed her tummy as they exited the restaurant. "My stomach feels like it's going to burst from all the food."

"You ate like, a two persons' worth of meal." Nichkhun unconsciously yawned. "Now I'm sleepy from all the food."

Victoria yawned too after seeing him do so. "Yawning is contagious!" She covered and giggled. "Let's take a walk." She reached for his hand and entwined her fingers in his. They were walking along the main street and came across children playing around with lanterns.

"Look at that!" She pointed excitedly at children. "It's so pretty!" The children’s' lanterns were shapes of animals with different colours flickering all over the place as the candle's flame waver from the slight breeze.

"I used to have these when I was in China," Victoria smiled at a child when he looked up at the sound of her voice. "Ni de deng long hen mei ah." (Your lantern is so pretty.) She said to the boy who was holding a rabbit shape lantern, who smiled brightly in return. "My mom would make the lantern for me from scratch because we didn't have the money to buy the ready made ones."

A smile crept onto Nichkhun's face as he looked at the little boy running around the both of them while giggling. "He seems like he is having fun." He nodded in the boy's direction.

"Jie jie!" Victoria looked down at the little boy tugging at her shirt. "Jie jie! Ne ge gege shi shui?" (Older sister. Who's that man?) His big brown eyes looked to and fro between her and Nichkhun. "Shi jie jie de nan peng you ma?" (Is he your boyfriend?)

”Ni je ge.." (You little..) Nichkhun laughed as he ruffled the boy's head with his free hand. "Ni na zhi dao wo shi ta de nan peng you?" (How do you know I'm her boyfriend?)

"In wei jie jie he ni tuo shou." (Because you and her are holding hands.) The little boy said innocently and grinned widely at the both of them. "Wo bu ben!" (I'm not stupid!) "Hao hao. Ni bu shi ben de." (Okay. You're not stupid.) Victoria laughed at him as she knelt to be the same level as him. "Ni jiao she me ming?" (What's your name?)

"Lee Ke Ai." The little boy said proudly. "Hen hao yu dao ni Ke Ai." (It's very nice to meet you.) Nichkhun said as he knelt beside Victoria. "Wan le, jie jie he ge ge yao jou lo. Xia zhi jai jien mien." (It's late and both of us have to leave now. We'll meet again next time.)

"Deng deng!! Ge ge, je ge gei ni!" (Wait! This is for you!) He pushed his lantern towards Nichkhun. "Ge ge, na qu gei piao liang jie jie!" (Older brother, give this to pretty sister!) The little boy then turned to Victoria and kissed her on the cheek. "Jie jie, jai jien!" (Older sister, see you again!) Two light red tints appeared on his cheek as he waved at her shyly.

"Ke Ai! Gan ma da rao ge ge he jie jie?" (Ke Ai! Why are you troubling them?) A lady, presumably his mother came running. "Zhe liang wei, hao dui bu qi. Wo men jia de Ke Ai you shi hen tiao pi." (I'm so sorry for his actions. Our Ke Ai can be a bit cheeky at times.) His mother scolded her son but he just smiled as if nothing's wrong. His mother bowed at them before tugging her son's hand. "Jai jien lo!" (Bye!) He turned behind to wave at them as he was walking away with his mother.

"That boy is so cute." Victoria waved back at him before walking away with Nichkhun. "Next time, I hope my kids will turn like that. If I were to have kids."

"He's very cheeky though," Nichkhun grinned as he gave her the lantern. "For you." She took it while grinning back at him and their pace slowed as they were approaching her car. "I can't believe he stole a kiss from you."

"Why? Are you jealous?" She narrowed her eyes at him, smirking. "No, how can I be jealous of a little kid?" He cleared his throat and changed the topic. "So how many kids do you wish to have?"

"Hmm.." Victoria unconsciously started swinging their hands as she thought of his question. "Maybe 4 or 5 kids."

"That many?" He raised his eyebrows. "Yup," She nodded, standing next to the car. "I realised, having that many siblings is good for the child. I, myself had experienced that. You won't be lonely all of the time." She looked away from him just as her eyes turn watery. "I appreciate my siblings."

"Why did you say 'if I were to have kids'?" Nichkhun asked her and she wiped her eyes before looking back to him. "Well, I'm not sure if I'm able to marry someone." She smiled a little at him while opening the door. "I'm sure you'd be married soon. It's not like you're ugly." He joked, closing the car door after she entered.

It’s not about the looks, she thought as she buckled her seat belt, it's the past that I'm worried about. "I'll see you another time then." Nichkhun lowered his head to look inside the car. "Drive safely."

"Come here," Victoria gestured for him to come closer. "I have something to say." He leaned forward and tilted his head to a side. "See you soon." She whispered into his ear and gave him a swift peck on the cheek. "Bye!" She winked at the stunned Nichkhun and drove away.

"That girl," He laughed to himself as his hand touch the place her lips landed.


 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Music can be heard from the headphones when he slides it away from his ears to accept a call. "Hello?"

"Are you at home?" The caller sounded impatient and he didn't have to look at the caller ID to know who it was as he can recognise the voice. "Yeah, I'm at home. Why do you ask, Amber?"

"Why?!" She repeated into the phone as she stared in disbelief at the white door that she had been banging for some time. "Henry, are you stuck in an underground cellar where you can't hear anything?" Her hand rested on her hip while she narrowed her eyes at the door as if it had insulted her. "I've been banging and ringing your doorbell for the past ten minutes and you didn't hear it?"

"You're at my house?" Henry came rushing down the stairs. "Duh, where else would I be ringing your doorbell and attempting to knock down your door?" He ended the call and opened the front door, revealing the annoyed Amber.

"Sorry," He said as she stomped past him. "I was upstairs and the room's soundproof." He watched her take off her shoes and placed it nicely next to his Converse. "So why are you here?"

"Escaping from the evil clutches of Edward Scissorshands." Amber slowly took off the thick bright red scarf around her neck and dropped herself on the couch. "Who's that?" Henry came and sat down on the coffee table opposite her. "Edward, the stylist my sisters' frequents to."

"Apparently, they want to give me a makeover for the twins' birthday party tonight," She folded the scarf and placed it nicely in her bag. "My sisters, I mean."

"So that reason is enough for you to run away from the salon?" He laughed at her as he thought about it. "It's just a makeover. What's so bad about it? Don't you want a new look?"

"When I say make over." Amber tried to sit forward but it was difficult to move so she placed her hands on his knees to pull herself forward. "In Krystal's dictionary, make over means massive enhancement to my look. Dresses, heavy make up, heels, hair and dot dot dot." She punctuated the air with jabs at the mention of 'dot'. "To which I guarantee, I'd be unrecognisable to you."

"You know," Henry rubbed his chin, looking at the ceiling as if deep in thought. "I think in every dictionary, 'make over' would be something like what you have just said." He pointed at the top of her head. "Brain damage?"

"Yeah, brain damage from the excessive hairspray that they loaded onto me." She said sarcastically and slapped his knee. "Amber, Amber, oh Amber.." Henry said while trying to control his laughter. "Hey, stop singing my name like its some gospel song." She muttered but she smiled a little.

"And by hanging out at my house, it'll solve the problem?" Henry continued after regaining his breath. "Do you think they'll let you go that easily?"

"Now you're thinking like me," Amber high fives him. "No, I'm sure I won't be let off that easy but at least the damage won't be so serious. I've brought the clothes I'm going to wear with me; no way am I wearing a dress."

"You're the first girl I know that doesn't like the entire make up and dresses stuff," He tilted his head, running his eyes over her clothes. "Why the grudge?"

"I just don't like them. It's uncomfortable," She crossed her arms in front of her chest. "Hey! Stop looking, it's creeping me out."

"What's there to see anyway?" He said. "Say that again.." Amber narrowed her eyes at him.

"Just joking!" He winked. "So what now?"

"Simple. Just let me crash on your couch and I won't bother you." Amber lay back on the couch with her feet propped up at the end of it. "You can continue what you were doing before I came." She waved her hand, dismissing him.

"Nah, you're coming with me." Henry grabbed her arm and tried pulling her off the couch. "I have something to show you."

"What is it?! Can't you show it to me on another day?" She whined as she latched onto it. "I need my sleep. Their parties can go on and on into the night!" She took a cushion and threw it at Henry which bounced off his face. "I'm not moving!" She shouted, holding on to the edge.

"Yes, you are." He stopped pulling her and picked up the fallen cushion, throwing it back at her. "And I know how to get you off this couch. I'm just gonna-- Hey, what's that on your back of your leg?" Amber followed his gaze and strained her neck to look at it. “What is it?"

"It's something reddish-brown with two moving sticks.. wait," He frowned a little as he took a closer look. "It's not sticks but antennae.." His frown went away and he looked around for something before reaching for the newspaper on the coffee table. "Don't move." Amber's whole body froze and she said quietly. "What is it that you wouldn't want me to move.. tell me." She squeaked. "I think it's a cockroach."

"WHAT!" Amber screamed, jumping off the couch immediately while sweeping her hands down her legs. "Get it off!" The brown insect detached itself from her jeans when she swatted it off her. "AHHHHHH!! Henry! GET IT!!" She started screaming at him and jumped onto the table as Henry tried to kill the cockroach with the rolled-up newspaper. "There. There. Therrrre!" She screamed again when it flew towards her. "What are you doing! Aren't you suppose to kill it?!" She said as she ran behind Henry.

"I'm trying!!" He said while Amber held onto his waist as she watched him from behind, swatting the newspaper-made bat around in the air. "It's not my fault that it can flyyyyyyyy!" Both of them ducked at the same time as the cockroach changed it's flight plan and flew towards them. "Why must that damn thing fly! It has that advantage over us!" It was Henry's turn to shout as it soared over their heads.


 
~~


"Okay, this is how it's going to be." Henry whispered to Amber as she rolled a newspaper. "You'll come from the right," He pointed at the cockroach resting on the wall a few away from them. "And I'll come in from the left." He said while glaring at the six-legged insect.

"Got it." Amber whispered back to him and swatted his arm to get his attention. "Why are we talking in hushed tones?"

"That's because so the enemy," Henry pointed at the cockroach. "Can't hear us." She took a step back and frowned at him. "How can they hear when it doesn't have ears?"

"Come on, let's move before it moves." He walked ahead of her, ignoring her previous question. "Remember at the count of three, swat it."

"Yeah, yeah." She nodded and pulled him back by his shirt. "I'm going right," She pointed at him. "You're going left." He nodded, changing his route and both approached the cockroach silently.

As the both of them were closing in on it, the cockroach's once active antennas came to a sudden halt. Henry held out his hand and lifted his fingers while Amber waited for the signal. "Now!" Both of them whacked hard on the wall. "Is it dead?"

"I think it is." Henry dropped his hand and there on the wall was a splatter of something black and the remains of the cockroach. "Gross."

"It stinks too." Amber stepped away, pinching her nose. "Now, to clean up. Henry, go get some soap and a scrub. Urghhhhh.. " She muttered under her breath as she scraped as much as possible off the wall and threw the newspaper into a garbage bin. "Make it a LOT of soap."

"I brought the whole bottle." Henry set the things on the floor and flinched. "Oh my god. Lesson 1, never ever swat a cockroach flat." Amber nodded as she turned to a side to get some fresh air. "Invest in a insect spray." She squirted the bottle of soap onto the spot and started scrubbing it vigorously.

"What's so funny?" She asked when she noticed Henry laughing to himself. "Nothing." He shook his head and took a scrub to help with the cleaning. "Tell me." Amber turned back to her scrubbing.

"I was just thinking about how it just took a small harmless insect to get you off the couch while I've been pulling and pulling but you still won't budge." She opened the pack of wet tissue and passed one to him. "I thought that was a trick of yours to get me."

"Actually, yeah." He took the wet tissue and wiped the soap off the wall. "I wanted to say something was on your body and it really happened!" He paused to think and burst out laughing. "Woman, you should have seen your reaction when I told you it was a cockroach." He threw the used tissue and took a new one from her. "You literally leapt out of the couch as if something electrified you and you screamed like a girl!"

"Obviously I screamed like a girl because I AM one!" Amber scowled at him. "What about you? You're not any better than me! You were the one smacking the newspaper around the place with your eyes CLOSED!" She gathered up the things and walked into the kitchen. "And there was once your voice cracked." She laughed loudly as she washes her hands. "It's not my fault that it can flyyyyyyyy!" She imitated his voice.

"At least, I was doing something to get rid of it." Henry playfully nudged her aside with his hip and reached over to wash his hands. "You were basically just jumping around and hiding behind of me." Amber shoved him back and continued her washing. "And my coffee table.. it's a wonder that it didn't give way under your weight." She rinsed her hand and flicked her hand at his face, sprinkling him with droplets of water. "Shut up." She stuck out her tongue at him as she walked past him, on the way out of the kitchen.

"Nah-uh," Henry dashed out of the kitchen, wiping his hands hastily with a kitchen towel. "You're not getting back on the couch after all my hard work." He grabbed her hand and pulled her away from the couch, dragging towards the stairs. "Damn it." Amber cursed as she was unwilling led up the stairs by Henry. "I hate you."

"No, you don't." He turned back and pinched her cheeks. "You don't hate me," She glared at him. "You are having a fit because you can't have it your way."

"And you," Amber reached forward and pinched his cheeks in return. "Are annoying."

"Yah! That hurts!!" Henry let go of her cheek and recoiled, holding onto his own cheek. "Why did you pinch so hard?" He rubbed the red spot on his cheek. "Oops." She smirked at him and pushed open the only door after the landing. "What's it that you're so eager to show me?" The room was quite small with panels of control buttons and speakers running down the side of the wall.

"Welcome to my studio." Henry entered after her and showed her around. "You have a recording studio?!" Amber couldn't hide her surprise when she went into the recording room with him. "I didn't even know you played any instruments!" She let her fingers run along the piano keys of the baby grand piano. "You play the piano, guitar and what is that?" She pointed at the case on the floor, next to the recording stand.

"It's my violin." He opened the case and took out the violin plus its bow. "I've always wanted to learn to play the violin." Amber said softly and suddenly clapped her hands like a little child. "Play something for me."

"Okay. Let's see whether you can guess this song." Henry placed one end of the violin under his chin and started pulling the bow. "It sounds familiar." Amber said as she tries to figure out the song he was playing. "It's Jason Mraz's 'I'm Yours'!" He looked up from his playing and smiles before the music stopped. "What? It's so short!" She exclaimed.

"Waitwaitwait." Henry shushed her and held his violin like a guitar, strumming it as he started to sing.


 
"Well, you done done me and you bet I felt it
I tried to be chill but you’re so hot that I melted
I fell right through the cracks, now I'm tryin to get back
before the cool done run out I'll be givin it my bestest
and nothin's gonna stop me but divine intervention
I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some

But I won't hesitate no more,
no more, it cannot wait
I'm yours."


"Wow." Henry bowed at the end of his performance and she clapped her hands. "That's so cool! I never knew the violin could be played like a guitar."

"It's something that I tried when I was bored," He said as he returns the violin to its case. "Do you know how to play any instruments?"

"Erm.. I know a bit of the piano," Henry led her to the piano and forced her to play. "Don't laugh at me." He nodded and sat next to her but not long after she started playing, he bit on his finger to stop himself from laughing. "I knew you would laugh!" She slammed one of the keys.

"Okay, I'll stop laughing." He inhaled deeply, trying to control himself. "So you only know how to play a classic children song?"

"Yeah," She nudged him at his side. "Stop it." Amber looked on as he buried his face in his hands, his shoulders shaking. "I find it cute so no worries." He patted her back.

"How many songs have you composed?" She looked at him after he had resurfaced. "Lots, I suppose?"

"Quite a few," Henry stood up and both of them left the recording room. "My friend and I had composed some songs together."

"Can I listen to any?" Amber asked hopefully. "Not now." He explained. "They still need editing.”

"Aww man. Not even one?" Henry shook his head. "But you'll be the first to hear it. Deal?"

"Deal." She grinned as she took out her vibrating hand phone from her pocket. "Here comes it." She showed him the caller ID and grinned. "I'll put it on loudspeaker."

"AMBER!!!" Sulli's voice rang across the room when she accepted the call. "YAH!! You better get your freaking back here or-- "

"Or else what?" Amber sniggered. "I have nothing to be scared of you."

"Oh really? What about I burn all your clothes," Sulli paused as shouted at someone over the phone. "Stop moving Joon oppa. Let him do your hair.. Just sit." She sighed before continuing her threat. "I'll burn all your clothes including your sports bras." Amber felt her cheeks burn as she turned to press her hands on both sides of Henry's head, who was grinning back at her while Sulli continued. "Then you would have no choice but to wear the normal bras." Henry couldn't stand any longer and snorted loudly. "Who's that?" Sulli asked at the sound of Henry laughing and choking at the same time.

"You're not supposed to listen!" Amber's face grew hotter at his laughing. "But it.. was... on loudspeaker." He said in between laughter. "Unni, who's that laughing?" Sulli asked again, this time sounding impatient. "Oppa! Stop playing with my hair. Hey! Don't-- " There was some sounds of struggling and swearing when suddenly someone shouted into the phone. "Amber!! Help!! YAH!! Stop it!" Another round of struggling and swearing ensued before Sulli's voice returned. "YAH! How many times do I need to as-- "

"Hi Sulli, it's Henry here." He leaned forward, preventing Amber from answering the question. "How's it going?" There was no answer on the other side.

"Oh my god. Did you hear everything I just said?" Henry chuckled when he saw Amber bury her face in her hands. "Yeah, I heard you."

"Oh." Sulli said lamely. "Okay. Amber, I want you BACK now. Or else.." Henry cut in and finished the sentence for her, to Amber's horror and embarrassment. "You'll burn her clothes and she’ll be left nothing but-- " Amber reached forward and clamped her hand on his mouth. "I'll be there soon."

Henry pulled her hand away after she ended the call. "So I guess, you should be afraid of your sisters after all." He grinned at her. "Shut up. That was so embarrassing." She looked down and saw he was still holding her hand. "Uh, Henry..my hand.." She felt cool air embracing the area where his warm hand had been.

"Sorry." Henry stood up, ushering her out of the place. "Let's get you out of here." Her hand is so small, he closed the door to the recording studio and descend the stairs after her, and soft.

"I guess, my plan didn't go as well as planned," Amber grabbed her scarf off the couch and slipped her feet into her shoes. "See ya next time Henry."

"See you soon." Henry winked at her before she closed the door behind her. See you soon? She wrapped the scarf around her neck while dialling someone. "Sulli.. YAH! You're so gonna get it from me!"


 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"I'm here." Amber announced as slipped the key card into her jeans pocket and walked into the middle of the room. "Here." Krystal came into view and shoved a garment bag into her arms before fussing over her own dress. "Unni, you're late. What did you do? Drove around the place before coming here?"

"Kinda." Amber looked around the place, make-up kits and racks of clothes were everywhere. "This place looks more like the backstage of a fashion show rather than a five star hotel penthouse." She pointed at the boxes of shoes were stacked up at every corner of the room. "There's only three of you. Why do you need to bring so many shoes here?"

"Stop yakking and go bathe." Krystal rolled her eyes and dragged her away from the reception area into one of the rooms. The hotel suite was booked for them to get ready for the twins' party which was going to be held at one of the restaurants in the hotel and everything is complimentary of Matsuka's. "Nice dress unni." She commented at Victoria, who was twirling in her dress while staring at the full length mirror. "It makes me look fat. Look, look." She pulled Amber next to her. "This dress makes my hips look wide."

"No, it does not." Krystal stood on her other side, looking into the mirror. "You've been changing dresses for the past half an hour!"

"Come on," She pulled Amber away and guided her towards the bathroom. "Hurry up. We're already behind of schedule."

"There's a schedule? For your own birthday?" Amber chuckled.


 
~~


“Damn it,” Amber looked into the mirror while drying her hair. “I knew this was coming.”

“You knew what was coming?” Victoria entered the room and stood next to her. “This dress.” Amber pinched the chiffon material and stared at her through the mirror. “Plus, the clothes I brought with me had disappeared.”

“Is that even surprising?” Victoria pats her shoulder as she walked past her. “You look good in the dress. I love the empire waist cut.” Amber was wearing a dark red chiffon empire strapless floor-length dress which swishes around when she did the slightest turns.

“I don’t like revealing clothes,” Amber wrapped her arms around her bare shoulders as she turned to face Victoria, who was sitting on the bed. “It makes me feel uncomfortable and yet they still force me to wear dresses like these.”

“Well, we all just want you to look nice and feminine.” She slapped her hand on the space beside her on the bed, gesturing for Amber to sit next to her. “But I don’t want to look like that.” Amber dragged her feet towards her and dropped on to the bed next to her. “It makes me feel weird.”

“That’s because you rarely wear clothes like these.” Victoria waved her hands over her own dress, which was a canary yellow off-shoulder dress. “Be like me and you’d be used to it in no time.” Amber lay back on the bed with her arms crossed. “You wear dresses all the time except when we’re on a job. I can’t do that.”

“Come on, you can do it.” Victoria followed suit and fell back onto the bed. “Take baby steps. You can start by ditching your man clothes.”

“It’s not man clothes,” Amber faced to her left and made a face at her. “I’m not gonna ditch my wardrobe just to look more girly.”

“If not, how are you going to get a guy’s attention?” Victoria turned to her, looking at her face to face. “Who said about getting a guy’s attention?” Amber said quietly and averted her gaze from Victoria’s piercing eyes. “What about that guy friend of yours, correction, the ONLY guy friend of yours?”

“You mean Henry?” Victoria nodded impatiently. “Duh. Unless you have others that you’re hiding from us. So what about him..”Amber pushed herself of the bed and reached for the stilettos set aside for her by Krystal. “He’s just a friend.”

“You sure he’s just a friend?” Victoria prodded her. “Nothing’s gonna happen between the two of you?” Amber shook her head and stood up. “Not a single chance.” She said albeit heavily. “Hmm. We’ll see.” Victoria muttered to herself. “I’ve just submitted to wearing heels without kicking up any fuss.” She grinned at Victoria. “It’s a miracle.”

“I thought you brought your own shoes.” She looked on at Amber trying to walk in zigzag lines. “Yeah, I did. But that got confiscated too when I was showering.” She spread her arms and walked, as if balancing on a tight rope. “Hey, the shoes are not that bad.” She walked slowly to the other end of the room. “With a thick platform at the front, the shoes are more stable to walk in.”

“You look like you’re dragging your feet on the floor,” Victoria commented, playing with her waist length brown hair. “It’s like your feet is too heavy to be lifted any higher.”

“I’m trying my best.” Amber said through clenched teeth as she turned around, walking back in the original direction. “Where are the others anyw— SHHHIT!” The door on her right opened which surprised her, causing her legs to tangle up.

“SORRY!” The door swung open, revealing the flustered Joon as he reached forward to prevent her from tripping. “I didn’t know you were standing behind the door.” He wrapped an arm around her small waist as she got back on her feet while Victoria looked on with interest at their close distance, “Damn shoes.” Amber held onto him and took off the heels she was wearing. “One day, I’m going to sprain my ankle.”

“And before the day arrives, you’re still gonna wear these when you’re with me.” Krystal appeared from behind of Joon and dragged Amber with her. “Now we have to do your hair and make-up.”

“Whhat? Why?” She grumbled as Krystal twirled the chair around and pushed her down. “You usually don’t force make-up on me.”

“There’s no reason why I am doing this.” Krystal held up different colours against Amber’s face. “Unni, what colour do you think will go well with her dress?” Sulli went up to her twin sister while putting on her tear-drop earrings. “Silver grey eye shadow with black rimmed eyes.”

“I have an opinion.” Both of them turned to look at Amber. “Why don’t I just go au natural? Clean and simple.”

“Uh-huh.” Sulli narrowed her bronze eye-shadowed eyes at her. “No way you’re getting out of this room without any make-up on.”

“What’s the big deal anyway? You guys don’t even dress me up like this when we’re attending Matsuka’s parties so why should I now?” Amber rubbed her hands over her shoulders. “It’s just your birthday party, who else is gonna see me this dressed up?”

“Who knows what these two are up to.” Joon came over and draped a throw over her shoulders, much to the twins’ surprise. “Look what they did to me. You cheater.” He pushed her head lightly. “You escaped the process.”

“But you agreed you looked better, no?” Sulli snorted. “You even checked out yourself several times when you thought no one was looking.”

“You do look better.” Amber glanced at him. Joon’s hair colour was now dark brown and shorter than his previous style. “Neater, I would say.” She rumpled her damp hair.

“Fine. I admit. But the process was just pure torture.” Joon adjusted his coat and buttoned it. “Why do you think I escape?” Amber raised her eyebrows.

“Okay, enough of the chit chat.” Sulli clapped her hands, interrupting their conversation. “We have to work on her and there isn’t much time left.” She placed her hands behind Joon’s back, pushing him out of the room. “We’ll see you later.”


 
~~


“Amber,” Kibum gestured for her as she entered the private room of the restaurant with Krystal. “Sit next to Joon.” He turned to Krystal and complimented her. “Good choice.” He nodded his head in Amber’s direction. “Thanks.” She mouthed in return as she took her seat on Joon’s left.

“Woah,” Joon whispered as Amber sat down next to him. “They’ve really transform you into someone else, huh?” He stared at her openly. “Stop staring.” She hissed at him and took a gulp of water.

Krystal had given Amber a smoky eye effect which goes well with her dress. Besides that, Amber’s long bangs were teased away from her face and held back by a large jewelled hairclip.

“It adds to my self-consciousness.” She slumped back onto her seat and looked around the table. “I’m hungry.”

“Have you decided what you want for tonight?” Victoria asked the twins who were focusing on the menu. “Yeah, we’ve decided. Let’s order first.” Krystal said. “We’ll ask them to bring the food in when BoA unni’s here.” Victoria nodded and signalled the restaurant manager, giving her their order.

“Sorry, I’m late.” The private room doors opened and BoA rushed in her work attire. “I was caught up with work and there wasn’t time for me to change.” She went to sit next to Amber but Kibum stopped her.

“Nuna, no. Sit on my right.” BoA caught Amber’s eye and raised her eyebrows to which Amber shrugged in return. “Why?” She asked Kibum when she settled in her seat. “It’s for an invited guest.”

“Who?” She spread the napkin over her lap. Victoria, who sat on her left, whispered to BoA. “Wait and see.”


 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Yes, hand me the report tomorrow.” Henry glanced at his watch then at the elevator display. “I have a function to attend.” P 3. He looked down at his shoes. Come on, it’s so hot waiting in the basement parking.

“If it’s that important, you can come by my home and dropped it in the letterbox.” P 2. The elevator doors opened, revealing a man with two Siberian Huskies sitting at his sides. “I have to go.” Henry ended the call and entered the elevator.

Henry backed away from the elevator console when the button to the floor he wanted to exit was lighted. He reached inside of his coat and took out the invitation card. “A late invite.” He opened it and checks the restaurant when he felt his hand being .

Henry looked away from the card and saw the black fur Husky his hand while the grey with slight tint of silver coated Husky looked on. “Hey,” The owner of the dogs turned to look at him when he knelt beside the dog. “You like this?” He asked the dog when it let out a soft whimper as he rubbed the dog’s neck and ran his hands through its thick coat.

“What are their names?” Henry looked up, asking the man. “They don’t have names.” The silver grey Husky got up and went nearer to Henry. “Oh. How do you then refer them?” The dog playfully bit his hand and barked, standing on its hind legs with its paws resting on Henry’s shoulder while his face.

“Sit.” The man tugged the dog’s leach and it sat back down next to the owner. “It’s okay.” Henry stood up and brushed his pants. “They’re very friendly. How old are they?” The elevator chimed as it reached their floor and the man left without saying anything the moment the doors opened. “I was just trying to make conversation.” Henry kept the card and left the elevator, in search of a washroom.


 
~~


Henry entered the exclusive restaurant and was greeted by the hostess. “Room under Ms. Song.” The hostess nodded and led him past the general dining area of the restaurant into a hallway towards the private rooms.

The hostess took him past several hallways, arriving before a room with several men dressed in black standing guard. She bowed at him and turned to leave. “Wait.” Henry stopped the hostess and spoke to her in hushed tones. “Are you sure this is the room? The room booked under Ms. Song.”

“Yes. This is the room. I can’t take you past them.” She nodded towards the men. “They’ve to confirm with the person inside before letting you in.” She bowed and left. Henry stood there, feeling uneasy. These men aren’t the normal bodyguards, he walked towards them, and they look menacing.

“I’m a guest of Ms. Song.” Henry told the man who look like the leader and passed him the invite. The man simply took a look at it and entered the room to which Henry tried to follow but was halted by another man. “Wait.”

Victoria looked up when one of the men entered the room and headed towards her. “Miss,” She cocked her head to aside as he talked to her in hushed tones. “There’s a man outside with an invitation. He said he’s a guest of yours. Should I let him in?”

“Yes, yes.” Victoria nodded and winked at Krystal, who grinned and nudged her sister, whispering into her ear and Sulli smiled back.

“Our guest for the evening has arrived.” Sulli announced as the man she had invited, walked into the room. “Hello, Henry. I’m so glad you can make it.” Amber looked at Henry in surprise and he simply winked at her.

“Hi, I’m Kibum.” Kibum stood from his seat and held out his hand. “I’m Amber’s brother.” Henry took his hand and gave him a firm shake. “I’m Henry. It’s nice to meet you.”

“I’m BoA.” Henry released Kibum’s hand and shook her hand. “Nice to meet you.” Krystal waved her hand from across the table. “I’m Krystal!” He nodded in response.

“Your place would be here.” Kibum pointed to the seat in between him and Amber. “We should take our places now.” He said when the waiters entered the room with the dishes. “Sure.” Henry took his seat and Amber hissed at him as he sat down.

“You never mentioned to me that you’re invited to the twins’ party.” Henry faced her. “They told me to keep it as a surprise. It’s their idea, not mine.” He looked into her eyes. “Come on. It’s no biggie. Now, you know.”

“Why did they invite you anyway?” Amber asked, looking on as the last dish was set down before them. “I don’t know.” Henry shrugged and leaned in towards her. “You look very pretty.” He whispered.

“Why did you invite him!?” Joon nudged Krystal. “Do you even know him?” Krystal jabbed her elbow back at him while looking over at Amber and Henry. “That’s the point. We want to know more about him.” She grinned when she saw Amber blushed from something Henry said into her ear. “Yah,” She patted her sister’s thigh impatiently. “Did you see that?” Sulli nodded. “That’s the first time I’ve ever seen her blushed.”

“What do you mean that’s the first time you’ve seen her blushed?” Joon looked at Sulli. “She blushed when she was with me.” Sulli rolled her eyes and snorted. “Alright. She was red in the face but that was because you got her mad.”

“Thanks.” Amber said meekly and cleared . “Let’s eat.” Henry turned back to the front, grinning at her reaction as he took his food.

“Henry,” He looked up at Victoria. “Would you care to let us know more about yourself? Amber has never told us anything about you. She’s been really tight-lipped.” She smiled at the scowling Amber. “Isn’t that right Amber?”

“I’m currently working for my father.” Henry dap his lips with his napkin. “What company is it?” Kibum asked and had a surprised look when Henry told him the name of the company. “Our company owns most of the shopping malls and boutique hotels in town.” Sulli caught Kibum’s eye and winked. Everyone in the room except for BoA knew everything that is to know about Henry. It took Kibum less than a day to find out everything about him when he knew Henry was invited to the party.

“So, how did you meet Amber?” BoA took a small bite of the sweet and sour fish. “We first meeting was very unusual. I was minding my own business when I heard a scuffle in the alley and saw her being assaulted by a man.”

“Long story short, unni, we kept in touch.” Amber said. “Hypocrite,” Joon muttered under his breath, just loud enough to be heard by her. “And you said you hate men and never had any male friends. Liar.” Amber nudged him hard in the ribs while looking straight. “You are my friend,” She emphasized on the word. “Do you need a better confirmation? Fine, you’re my bestest best buddy.” She shrugged. “I threw in the cheesiness, hoped you liked it.”

“Thanks. I appreciate it.” Joon smiled back at Amber who just rolled her eyes even though a small smile crept onto her face.

“It’s now my turn to give you your presents.” BoA clapped her hands. “I hope you’ll like them.” The doors opened and the man that Henry had met earlier entered the room with two Siberian Huskies. The twins were squealed as they stared at the dogs. “We’re getting dogs?”

“Yes, these two are yours so it’s up to both of you to choose which one is yours.” Sulli got up from her chair and walked towards the dogs. “They’re so cute!” Krystal laughed when the dog with black fur her hand. “This is mine,” Sulli knelt down and the silver-grey Husky went up to her, wagging its tail happily. “Thank you unni!”

“I also have a gift for the both of you.” Henry pulled his chair back and walked towards them. “Mine probably won’t match up to the dogs.” He chuckled as he took out an envelope from inside of his coat and passed it to Krystal. “I hope you’ll like it.”

Henry watched as Sulli peered from behind of Krystal, who was ripping the envelope open. “Thank you.” Krystal looked at the smiling Henry as she pulled out a birthday card. “Yeah, thanks.” Sulli said cheerfully, hoping to make up her sister’s lack lustre response but there was also a hint of disappointment in her tone. “Read the card.”

Krystal flipped opened the metallic grey card and read its contents. “Happy 22nd Birthday! Although we had just met, I really hope you’ll like my present.” She glanced in the envelope and took out another piece of card. The two sisters stared at the gold card with their mouths opened, too shocked to respond.

“Oh my GOD!” Sulli was still in shock as her sister jumped around with the card. “YEAH!!”

“What is it?” Victoria laughed. “Come on. Henry,” She looked at him. “Tell us.” He merely shook his head and smiled. “Let them tell you what it is.” Sulli snapped back into reality and grabbed the card from Krystal.

“Unni! We have the front row seats to Choi Sooyoung’s Fall/Winter Fashion Show!!” Sulli shoved the invitation card in front of Victoria’s face. “Choi Sooyoung!! Her clothes are freaking awesome,” Krystal said dreamily. “And Fall/Winter it’s our favourite fashion season!”

“How did you know we like her? And how did you get an invitation for us,” Sulli re-read the invitation. “In our names?!”

“Amber gave me the idea.” Amber looked at Henry in surprised. “I did?” The others looked at her in shocked. “But unni is clueless when it comes to fashion.”

“Actually, it was the clothes she wore that gave me the idea. I took a wild guess as I noticed the clothes you forced on her are from Sooyoung’s line of clothes. And about the invites,” Henry stuck his hands into his pockets. “I know someone that I can get it from.” He shrugged.

“This is the best present we ever got! No offense, we like your gifts too.” Krystal said to the others who dismissed it. “I knew my advanced hacking system in the pink computer won’t be enough to satisfy you.” Kibum laughed.

“Amber unni, our verdict is,” Sulli and Krystal went over to Henry, hugging him. “We approve of him.” Henry laughed as he gave them a squeeze before letting go. “Glad you liked it.”

“Like it?! We love it!” Krystal approached Amber and cupped her hands around her ears, whispering to her. “Marry him!” Amber pushed her away playfully and laughed. “We’re not in that kind of relationship.”

“Yeah, I believe you.” Krystal winked in return. Joon, who was silently listening through out the whole time, muttered. “What’s so big deal about an invitation to a fashion show? I can get it for them.”

“Apparently, this particular one is very hard to get your hands on.” Amber glanced at the twins, who were now showing their dogs their latest present. “This is the only designer’s show they’ve never attended.”


 
~~


“Heyyyy.. t-thi-sssss is not! My c-c-ccar.” Henry pointed out as they settled him into the silver Audi. “This IS your car, Henry.” Amber hissed and Joon slammed the door behind him. “I told Kibum not to make him drink! Look! Now he’s drunk.” She took out her car keys and passed it to him. “I’ll drive him home with his car and you’ll drive my car.” Joon took the keys. “Why?” She raised an eyebrow at him while walking around the car to get to the driver’s side. “Uh, so that I’ll have a ride home after getting him back safely.”

Amber entered the car and stuck the key into the ignition before wearing her seatbelt when she noticed Henry wasn’t wearing one. “Why did you have to drink when you know your alchohol tolerance is low?” She leaned across and tugged the seatbelt over him. Henry mumbled something inaudible and rested his head on her shoulder as she clicked the seatbelt into place. “Let’s get you home.” She lifted his head off her shoulder and gently leaned his head back onto the headrest.

Amber shielded her eyes when a bright light flashed from behind, followed by a honk. “I’m going. I’m going.” She started the car and drove out of the building with Joon following behind. Amber looked over at the dashboard and pressed on a button which filled the car with a soothing jazz music. “Never thought you’re a jazz fan.” She flipped through the disc player and settled with RnB music.

“Sooyoung.” Amber glanced at him and his eyes were slightly open. “I thought you were asleep.” She reached for the dial to lower the volume but Henry stopped her. “Don’t turn it down, Sooyoung-ah.” She dropped her hand. “Henry, I’m Amber, not Sooyoung.” She said while speeding along the highway, who is this girl? She looked at the rear-view mirror and noticed that she had lost Joon. Is it his girlfriend? The speed of the car dropped as she slowed.

“Sooyoung-ah.” She said to him clearly. “I’m Amber not Sooyoung.” Wait, a light bulb lighted in her head, is he referring to the designer Sooyoung? Amber glanced at him as he started to mumble again.

“Let me tell you something.. Sooyoung-ah..” Henry hiccupped. “I hated it t-t-that you left me.” Amber looked at him in surprised, she was his girlfriend? “But I met a new girl.. that I really like.” Henry moaned as he grabbed his head. “We’ll be at your house soon.” Amber said but she was irritated at the mention of the girl that he likes.

“She’s funny.” He hiccupped again and turned to look at Amber. “Sooyoung-ah,” I’m Amber you idiot, she thought to herself. “She’s mysterious and attractive,” He slapped his chest to stop his hiccups. “She's not the type of girl I would be interested in but..”

Who is this girl he’s talking about? Amber turned the car into a quiet road. I’ve never heard him mention her before. “She’s different from the others..” His chest rose as another hiccup appeared. “Different from you..”

“I think I’m in love with her.” Amber slammed the breaks in front of his house and his body jerked forward. What the.. She looked at him. He’s in love with a girl?

She unbuckled her seat belt and exited the car as another car slowed down behind of them. Amber went over Henry’s side and pulled the door opened. “Took you long enough.”

“You were stepping on the gas pedal like crazy.” Joon came up to her and helped Henry out of the car. “I’d rather keep my life.” Amber took his house keys from his pocket as Joon carried him to the front door.

Amber unlocked the front door and held it open for Joon before guiding him to Henry’s bedroom. “You seem to know this place very well.” Joon commented as he dumped Henry on the bed. “I’ve hang out at his house a couple of times.” She pulled his shoes off and tucked him under his comforter.

“While I clean him up,” She entered his bathroom and Joon heard the sound of water running. “Could you please find my gun? I’ve told you before that I left it here. I’ve searched everywhere except his study room.”

“Okay.” Joon left the bedroom and wandered down the hall, opening every door till he found the right room. He opened the last door and flicked on the light as he entered. He went through all the cabinets but found nothing until he checked the drawers of the study desk. He pulled a drawer open and there it was – Amber’s .9mm gun. “Gotcha. Found it!” He shouted and was about to close the drawer when something caught his eye.

Out of curiosity, he reached for the photo with a girl’s face partially covered by the mess of papers on the floor of the drawer.

He stared at the picture as he held it nearer to him. The girl was sitting next to a man whose arm was around her shoulder and both were smiling happily into the camera. He was speechless as he turned the photo around and came across a short sentence. My dream, Joon read to himself and stared at the photo. There she was, a beautiful girl with minimal make up on her face, smiling sweetly at him. His finger ran across her glowing face.

“You found my gun?”

Joon immediately dropped the photo into the drawer, slamming it shut and turned around to face the girl from the picture. “Yeah, found it.” He walked towards her. “What were you doing when I called you? You seem engrossed in something.” Amber looked pass him but he switched off the light and closed the door behind of him. “Was I? Nothing. Just going through his stuff.” He laughed.

“Yeah, I called your name a few times.” She chuckled and walked away. “You certainly were not brought up with manners for you to be going through other people’s stuff. Come on, let’s go home.”

“Yeah, coming.” Joon followed after her absentmindedly as his mind was on the photo. Henry likes her? His jaw clenched as he thought of it, feeling jealous. Does she like him too?

He closed the front door of the house and headed towards the BMW. “Hurry, it’s cold.”

“Sorry!” He unlocked the car immediately as he had forgotten she was wearing a dress with only a jacket on. “So, what’s Henry to you?” He cringed while turning the heater up as his thought was formed into words, damn it.

“Why do you ask?” Amber rubbed her hands together to warm them as he shrugged. “Just curious.” She held her hands in front of the heater vent, thinking about his question and her mind flew back to when she was alone in the car with Henry.

 
“Let me tell you something.. Sooyoung-ah..” “I hate it t-t-that you left me.” “

“But I met a new girl.. that I really like.”

“She’s funny.” “She’s mysterious and attractive.”

“Henry’s just a friend to me.” Amber said quietly. “You sure?” Joon caught himself smiling and stopped. Amber looked at Joon as she thought about it.
 
“I think I’m in love with her.”
 
“Yeah. Just a friend.” She said before leaning her head against the side of the headrest, looking out of the window. “Let’s get home. I’m tired.”.