Table Cloth

Swapping Housemates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“Are you sure about this, Jiyeon?” Won Bin asked Jiyeon seriously as they both came out of his office. Jiyeon looks away from the Chief and gives out a heavy sigh.

 

 

“I’ve thought about this for weeks now, Chief. You know I don’t do things I’m not sure of.” Jiyeon replied.

 

 

“I just think you need more time to think this over. It’s all so sudden.” Won Bin urged but he saw the determined look on Jiyeon’s face and he knew that it was already a lost cause. Won Bin sighed heavily, he gripped on Jiyeon’s shoulders as if holding on to the last bit of hope that she might change her mind.

 

 

“I already discussed this with the Board, they already gave me a go signal.” Her voice trailed off guiltily.

 

 

“And I’m still not forgiving you for by-passing me for that, Jiyeon.” Won Bin scolded her gently.

 

 

“I knew you wouldn’t agree if I came to you first.” She said sheepishly.

 

 

“I guess we know each other all too well…” Won Bin resolved in defeat. Jiyeon bade goodbye to the chief and told him she still has to check on one of her patients. As she was walking down the hall, Minho walked beside her, lacing his arm around Jiyeon’s shoulders comfortably.

 

 

“You were having a serious talk with Chief earlier. What was that about?” Minho asked curiously as they walked towards the Nurse Station.

 

 

“Mind your own damn business, Minho.” Jiyeon snapped back, throwing Minho a death glare. Minho steps back, raising his hands in mock surrender.

 

 

“Hey hey hey, Jiyeon baby… you don’t have to get all snappy at me. I was just curious.” Minho chuckles. Jiyeon talked to one of the nurses and asked her for the chart of her patient. Minho rested his elbows on the counter and winked at the nurse, leaving the latter giggling.

 

 

“You’re always curious about everything.” Jiyeon retorted while looking over the chart.

 

 

“Hey guys. Good morning!” Shin Hye approached them, smiling widely.

 

 

“What are you doing here? The pink pedias are not allowed in this side of the hospital.” Jiyeon looked over Shin Hye’s pink scrubs mockingly.

 

 

“Don’t mind her, Shin Hye, pink scrubs look absolutely cute on you.” Minho interrupted. Shin Hye throws him a narrowed look and then she sticks out her tongue at him.

 

 

“Whatever you say, Minho, I’m still not making you my plus one at Chaerin’s wedding!” Shin Hye crossed her arms over her chest and turns to Jiyeon.

 

 

“You’re invited?” Jiyeon asked in surprise.

 

 

“Yeah. After enduring hours and hours of Chaerin’s Jiyeon 101 lesson, she invited me to the wedding as a reward. Phew! I didn’t know being your housemate can be that tedious.” Shin Hye smiled at Jiyeon cheerfully.  

 

 

“Come on, Shin Hye, just let me be your plus one. You know it will kill me if I miss seeing Jiyeon in a beautiful gown. I have my suit ready. I’ll pick you up in a Porsche 918 Spyder. I know how much you love cars… I’ll let you drive it on our way there.” Minho wiggled his eyebrows at Shin Hye. She stops for a moment and looks at him seriously. Jiyeon watched them both in amusement.

 

 

“You own a Porsche 918 Spyder?” Shin Hye asked him hesitantly.

 

 

“My dad bought it last week for close to a million dollars. He is so stupid to buy a car that expensive. My dad owns the car but he lets me drive that thing.” Minho answered flippantly.

 

 

“You don’t freakin call a Porsche 918 Spyder a thing! It’s THE Porsche 918 Spyder!!!” Shin Hye erupted as if Minho committed a heinous crime.

 

 

“Shin Hye, it’s still a freakin car.” Minho retorted. Jiyeon just shook her head and left them both still arguing about the car.

                                                                                                                         

 

 

*****

 

 

 

It’s fifteen minutes till they were due for court. Jaejoong was waiting at the hallway of the Seoul Regional Trial Court for his client. It was his specific instruction not to be late but it seems as though his client isn’t anywhere near yet. Today was important because Jaejoong’s client is about to take the witness stand.

 

 

Jaejoong took a deep breath and flicked his wrist to check the time. He glances at the far end of the hallway and he sees Woobin also alone and waiting for his client. It looks as though both of their clients are late for their hearing. The judge is seriously going to be pissed.

 

 

Woobin walks over to Jaejoong. He looks at his watch and then gazes back to Jaejoong.

 

 

“Your client is still not here?” Woobin asked. Jaejoong shook his head in response.

 

 

“Where’s your client?” Jaejoong asked back.

 

 

“No idea. I have a bad feeling about this.” Woobin leans on the wall and then sighs heavily. He loosened his tie in exhasperation.

 

 

“You never know… our clients might be together right now and we might end up not having any trial at all.” Jaejoong chuckled.

 

 

“Do you know something that I don’t?” Woobin asked in immediate curiosity.

 

 

“Just look ahead.” Jaejoong murmured. Woobin saw his client Lee Jun Ki and Jaejoong’s client together, holding hands, Mr. Lee whispering sweet something to Mrs. Lee making the latter giggle.

 

 

“What in the world is happening?” Woobin asked. The two approached them.

 

 

“It’s good that both of you are here.” Mr. Lee stated with a triumphant smile. Mrs. Lee clutched on to his arm, resting her head on his shoulder. Jaejoong smiled at both of them, holding out his hand to shake Mr. Lee’s hand.

 

 

“It’s nice to see both of you together with smiles on your faces.” Jaejoong greeted the couple as if he wasn’t the least bit surprised in complete contrast with Woobin’s shocked expression.

 

 

“We decided to give our marriage another try…” Mr. Lee finally announced. He then turned to Jaejoong and gave him an embrace as if thanking him for something important.

 

 

“Thank you. Jaejoong. Whatever you said to my wife… it changed her mind… I wouldn’t have my wife back if it weren’t for you.” Mr. Lee tapped Jaejoong’s back before pulling away. Jaejoong just smiled and looked at Mrs. Lee.

 

 

“I’m happy for both of you…” Jaejoong replied.

 

 

“Have you contacted Dr. Smith in Seattle Grace Hospital?” Jaejoong asked to which Mr. Lee nodded.

 

 

“We’re going straight to America for my operation… and we’re going to go on a cruise… and we promise to engage the services of the marriage counselor you recommended.” Mr. Lee said confidently.

 

 

It was a short meeting with the judge and the case was immediately dismissed. Woobin was quite baffled by what was going on. As what he observed, right after the judge announced the dismissal of the case, she smiled at Jaejoong as if immediately knowing he had something to do with what happened to the case. Woobin caught up with Jaejoong wanting to get some clarity.

 

 

“What did you do? You know very well that it was unethical to talk to an opposing counsel’s client alone. Did you talk to Mr. Lee about this? You had something to do with this dismissal.” Woobin accused.

 

 

“I know the provisions of Legal and Judical Ethics by heart Woobin. You don’t have to remind me of that. But I know for a fact that it isn’t unethical to give advice to your own client about the best thing to do. I knew from the look of the couple that they still have feelings for each other… when both of them are too antagonistic with each other usually tells how much they still care about each other…” Woobin’s shoulders dropped. Jaejoong recognized the look of disappointment on his face. He shook his head and gripped on Woobin’s shoulders.

 

 

“Everybody won in this case Woobin. No one lost. The most rewarding moments in divorce law profession are moments like this one. It’s not about the case you win; it’s about the marriage you save.”

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

It was Seung Hyun and Chaerin’s wedding day. It was a simple but elegant affair. Everyone was in a festive mood. Shin Hye did end up taking Minho as her plus one. The wedding ceremony is already over and they were now at the reception at one of the fanciest hotels in Seoul. The program just started. Chaerin didn’t want any psychedelic elaborate affair, she made sure everything was simple but exquisitely elegant.

 

 

Jiyeon was sitting at their table, waiting for Jaejoong to get their drinks when Minho sat beside her.

 

 

“You look absolutely stunning.” Minho complemented, leaning over to whisper in her ear.

 

 

“What do you want, Minho?” Jiyeon sighed heavily. Minho studied her face, he knew from her troubled eyes that she was preoccupied with something. It was as if she was at the wedding but not really there.

 

 

“I know you’re up to something, Jiyeon. I just talked to my dad. He doesn’t want to tell me anything because you asked him not to. Chief is also mum about what you’re up to but I will eventually find out. I always find out.” Minho said seriously but Jiyeon just shrugged.

 

 

“You always have to know everything do you? Can you at least for once not get all snoopy?” Jiyeon asked impatiently.

 

 

“When it comes to you, Jiyeon, I can’t. I simply can’t help myself.” Minho replied. And right about that time, Jaejoong arrived with their drinks. Minho stands up and gives Jaejoong a short nod and walked towards Shin Hye who was seated at the next table.

 

 

“Here you go.” Jaejoong smiled at her while handing her drink.

 

 

“So you really mean to tell me that Lee Jun Ki and his wife decided to get back together? For real?” Jiyeon asked in disbelief as they were talking while the program started. Jaejoong nodded.

 

 

“So the wife got back with him knowing he has a minute, teeny weeny package?” Jiyeon laughed in amusement. Jaejoong playfully scolds her.

 

 

“Jun Ki is getting an operation to make his ‘package’ bigger in order to satisfy his wife. I suggested a hospital in Seattle that specializes in those things…” Jaejoon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter