Test

Swapping Housemates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Jiyeon placed her mobile phone back in the pocket of her white coat after making a call. She didn’t know how to feel nor what to say. She was done with her rounds and told the American woman, named Mrs. Stephanie Lee, that spoke to her to wait in the Oncology Department of the hospital. She took a deep breath and walked towards the Oncology Department of the hospital.

 

 

Her feet felt heavy and her heart felt like it wasn’t beating at all. It was as if she was in her afterlife as she treaded to the hallway of the fourth floor of the hospital. She found Mrs. Lee sitting in the waiting area and she was surprised to see Jaejoong with her. He was consoling the worried Mrs. Lee and was talking to her as he held her hand, giving her the comfort she needed.

 

 

Jiyeon shook her head. Jaejoong just doesn’t give up does he? Jiyeon thought wryly. She approached them and stood in front of them, clearing . They both looked at her in surprise and both stood up.

 

 

“Mrs. Lee, I’m just going to get tested to see if I’m a match to your baby.” Jiyeon said coldly. Mrs. Lee sighed heavily as if a burden was taken off her shoulders and out of sheer impulse, Mrs. Lee held Jiyeon’s both hands.

 

 

“Please, do call me Stephanie. I’ll forever be indebted to you. The social worker that took care of the adoption said that although you didn’t want to meet us in person, you chose us as the parents… she said you wanted to make sure that Jessica will be in a loving family… she said that me being married to a Korean played a big factor because you didn’t want Jessica to feel like she’s different…” Mrs. Lee was now in tears as she held on to Jiyeon’s hands tightly.

 

 

“Now… you’re helping our baby Jessica’s fight for her life… thank you so much…” Jiyeon felt stiff with Mrs. Lee’s warmth.

 

 

“Mrs. Lee, we still don’t know if I’m going to be a match for your baby.” Jiyeon said in a cold tone but Mrs. Lee didn’t take heed of it.

 

 

“I have great faith that we’ll get a positive result. I just know it.” Mrs. Lee made a smile.

 

 

“What are we going to do if you’re a match? Will you have time to come to Connecticut if in case?” Mrs. Lee babbled, immediately worrying about what’s next to be done. Jiyeon shook her head.

 

 

“Your baby needs to check here in this hospital. We’ll have to worry about the logistics if we get a match, Mrs. Lee. I need to make sure I can trust the doctor that’s going to operate on me and your baby.” Jiyeon said in a low voice, not having a hint of emotion on her face but Jaejoong could see the slight shake in her eyes as if showing worry and anxiety.

 

 

“Thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.” Mrs. Lee cried and Jiyeon was surprised for receiving Mrs. Lee’s embrace. She hesitantly freed herself and unwound Mrs. Lee’s arms around her. She cleared .

 

 

“I’ll have to do my test now.” Jiyeon turned her back and excused herself. It was a fairly quick test because all they needed were series of blood tests. Jiyeon has made sure that the hospital already coordinated with the hospital in Connecticut for expediency. It was just right on time when she got out from the testing room and walked towards Jaejoong and Mrs. Lee that Woobin arrived. He was catching his breath as he approached Jiyeon.

 

 

“Jiyeon.” Woobin uttered her name breathlessly. Jiyeon looked around and held his gaze. Her eyes were cold and emotionless.

 

 

“Get in the room. Nurse Yesung will assist you.” Jiyeon’s uttered.

 

 

“What? Why? What’s happening?” Woobin asked, confused. Jiyeon just called him a few hours ago telling him to come to the hospital as soon as he could but she didn’t say anything else.

 

 

“You wanted to say sorry right? Well just do as I say without any more questions.” Jiyeon replied.

 

 

“He still has to fill up the forms, Dr. Im.” Nurse Yesung interrupted.

 

 

“I’ll do the paperwork. I know all his details.” Jiyeon said taking the forms from the Nurse. She grabbed her pen from her pocket and held out the form in front of Woobin.

 

 

“Sign at the bottom.” Jiyeon looked at Woobin squarely.

 

 

“What? I still have to read through this form. I’m a lawyer Jiyeon, you know I don’t sign anything I don’t read.” Woobin protested but the look on Jiyeon’s face made him shut up and he just signed the papers and got into the testing room.

 

 

*****

 

 

Jiyeon sent Mrs. Lee home and told her that the hospital will call her hotel as soon as the tests are out. She assured her that the test will be the hospital’s top priority. She made sure of it. Woobin was still getting tested.

 

 

Jiyeon just sat in the waiting area of the Oncology Department. She was staring at a blank space. She was deep in her thoughts. She hadn’t realized how long she’s been sitting there. Just then, a warm cup of coffee appeared in front of her. She looked beside her and saw Jaejoong with the cup of coffee. She took it and smelled the coffee before sipping it. She handed him the coffee.

 

 

“You look like you need coffee too.” Jiyeon said softly. Jaejoong looked at the coffee.

 

 

“What? I gather you already cleaned this cup. You always clean everything before giving it to me. Are you afraid to catch germs from me?” Jiyeon mocked. Jaejoong just chuckled and took the cup and drank the remaining coffee.

 

 

“This must be quite a shock for you…” Jaejoong finally spoke after a moment of silence that seemed like an eternity.

 

 

“Back at you.” Jiyeon replied.

 

 

“So… Woobin huh? Hmmmm…” Jaejoong wasn’t sure how to react. He has so many questions and yet he couldn’t ask her. He doesn’t even have a right to ask her for anything. He doesn’t have a claim on her. They aren’t a couple.

 

 

“It’s quite laughable, isn’t it?” Jiyeon whispered; her eyes reminiscent of her days in Yale.

 

 

“Jiyeon, we need to talk… please don’t keep avoiding me… I don’t know how long I can bear not talking things out with you before I go completely mad…” There was an obvious desperation in Jaejoong’s voice. He was looking at her fiercely. He wanted to lock her in his arms because he knows that she badly needed it and yet he couldn’t.

 

 

Just then, Woobin finally got out of the testing room. He walked towards Jiyeon.

 

 

“Now, can you tell me what’s this all about?” Woobin said in exasperation.

 

 

“You don’t have the least bit of right to ask anything from me. You don’t deserve an explanation. If you really want redemption, Woobin, just do as I say without any further questions. After all, if the test results are in your favor, you won’t need to do anything else.” Jiyeon said with contempt.

 

 

“Jiyeon, you can’t simply expect me to just be at your beck and call…” Woobin protested. He might be high and mighty in the courtroom but when it came to Jiyeon, he folds like a wilted flower.

 

 

“I’ll call you again if you’re needed, Woobin. Now, get the hell out of my face before I call security on you.” Jiyeon warned. Woobin wanted to protest but just opted not to so as not to anger Jiyeon. He can’t afford another reason for Jiyeon to be mad at him and so Woobin left wordlessly.

 

 

Jaejoong and Jiyeon sat back down in the waiting area. The results wouldn’t come out in another hour or so. They just sat beside each other in silence.

 

 

“Jaejoong… I really can’t talk right now. I have a lot of things on my plate.” Jiyeon finally said with a sigh.

 

 

“Please promise me that you won’t s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter