Familiarity

Swapping Housemates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

By the fall of the hammer, the clerk of court announced that trial for the day is adjourned. Jaejoong was not in a good mood. He was thrown off his interrogation by Woobin’s dilatory objections which, most of the time, was surprisingly sustained by the judge. He couldn’t believe that he’s already met his match as far as charming the lady judges is concerned.

 

 

Amber did give him a warning that rumor has been going on in the judicial circuit about this new lawyer Casanova and they might be referring to Woobin. He also couldn’t shake off the memories of what happened in Jiyeon’s apartment hall. Woobin just unceremoniously kissed Jiyeon. Both Woobin and Jaejoong were thrown out of the apartment.

 

 

Jaejoong gathered his things and went to the parking lot for his car. He was fumbling on his car keys and pressed it to unlock his car when he noticed a black Ferrari right beside his red one. The black one seemed like a newer model. Jaejoong checked out the car.

 

 

“See something you like?” A voice resonated behind him. Jaejoong turned around and saw Woobin pressing his car key for the black Ferrari. Jaejoong cursed silently and controlled his expression into nonchalance. Jaejoong shook his head and ignored Woobin. He pressed his car key again and walked towards his red Ferrari to open the door.

 

 

“Nice ride, though I always thought that red is bit flashy and girly.” Woobin drawled, a smirk forming on his lips.

 

 

“What did you say?” Jaejoong closed his eyes and mentally counted one to three.

 

 

“I said red is a bit flashy and girly.” Woobin repeated and crossed his arms over his chest waiting for Jaejoong’s retaliation.

 

 

“Do you have any problem with me?” Jaejoong turned around and gave Woobin a murderous glare. The intensity between them was rising up.

 

 

“I’ve heard a lot about you Kim Jaejoong. They all say you’re the resident charmer of the Seoul Judicial circuit… although…” Woobin looked at him from head to toe as if mocking him.

 

 

“…I really don’t see what’s the big deal.” Woobin finished with a smile b with sarcasm.

 

 

“Are you really that interested in finding out? Sorry, bro, you’re not my type.” Jaejoong smiled back.

 

 

“Awwww too bad.” Woobin reached for Jaejoong’s shoulders and wiped the imaginary dust off his Armani.

 

 

“I’d watch my back if I were you. Because unlike some people, I’m not all talk. I don’t bark, I just attack… devour… and then I howl. Better prepare yourself to lose your first case Kim Jaejoong because I’m pretty sure I’m not losing this one.” Woobin turned around and went towards his car, giving Jaejoong a salute before going inside, making the engine roar as he went further.

 

 

*****

 

 

Jiyeon just finished doing her rounds and she had a thirty minute rest before her surgery that will probably last for more than eight hours. She went to the Resident’s lounge and sat on the black leather long couch. She leaned on the couch and closed her eyes. She always feels restless. She knows she’s been driving herself so hard, forcing herself to endure everything. A normal person would’ve given up and collapse. But the thing is, that’s what she’s been trying to do… she’s been driving herself so hard so she’d eventually collapse, drained off energy so she could finally get sleep for at least five hours straight.

 

 

She’s been having a hard time sleeping ever since Jaejoong moved out. The longest she ever slept was around three hours… and that is never enough for her kind of career.

 

 

“I saw that you’re booked for the OR1 in less than thirty minutes. Are you sure you can still last for ten hours?” Minho sat beside her and leaned on the couch.

 

 

“You always sprout like an annoying mushroom.” Jiyeon murmured, keeping her eyes closed.

 

 

“I’m booked on OR2, we’re on about the same time. I’m doing a jaw surgery for an eighteen year old. She says she’s going to be in a girl idol group.” Minho sighed.

 

 

“I never really liked plastics. Same damn surgeries every single time. It’s so mundane. And more often than not, it’s not a matter of life and death… it’s often a case of luxury for those who can afford it.” Jiyeon shared. Minho shrugged.

 

 

“Valid point, though for me, it’s a means for justifying an end… I make my patients donate to my foundation.” Minho sighed. Jiyeon opened her eyes and looked at Minho.

 

 

“No . You have a foundation?” Jiyeon asked, utterly surprised.

 

 

“Damn it, Jiyeon, we’ve known each other for years. It’s Happy Smile Foundation. We conduct free surgeries for kids with deformities who can’t afford it.” Minho replied, shaking his head as he looked at Jiyeon.

 

 

“Why the hell should I know? I don’t read anything about plastics.” Jiyeon muttered defensively. Minho grabbed the latest medical journal and turned to a page, showing it to Jiyeon.

 

 

“FYI, I happen to be a candidate for the Asian Medical Association Award this year.” Jiyeon saw Minho’s picture on the page, sporting his smile with a kid from Africa.

 

 

“I look good in that picture, don’t I?” Minho smiled proudly.

 

 

“You bastard. So you’re the other surgeon in this hospital who’s up against chief for that award!” Jiyeon said in disbelief. Minho shrugged and hid his expression with nonchalance.

 

 

“Nah, it doesn’t really matter if I win or not. I’m not doing this for the award. It’s for the kids… although an award wouldn’t hurt.” Jiyeon saw through Minho’s flippant remark. She could tell that he was sincere.

 

 

“Damn, I wouldn’t have known a guy like you had substance because we never had a long decent conversation before.” Jiyeon smiled.

 

 

“Well that’s simply because you never made the effort of getting to know me. Why do you think the ladies go after me? It’s not just because of my looks… even though I’m a playboy, I have a kind heart and I’m smart too, you know. But you… you just want me for my body. You always just asked me for .” Minho said teasingly. Jiyeon laughed at his lightheartedness.

 

 

“And above all that you’re still the most conceited plastic surgeon I know.” Jiyeon mocked him some more.

 

 

They were interrupted by Jiyeon’s phone; it rang. Jiyeon grabbed her phone from her pocket and looked at the screen. Jaejoong’s calling her. Again. He’s been calling her but not once did she answer it. She just stares at the phone and lets it ring.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter