The Brilliant Idea

First Loves Don't Always Last

 

Kwon Jiyong, or G-Dragon, is always busy. With Bigbang's world tour, his solo album release, and producing for their company's new group, he barely has time to visit his family. So it only seemed reasonable that meeting his old high school friends would be completely impossible.

 

There's a reason why “old” friends are called “old.” Yoo Hana believed in that wholeheartedly. She knew, even before Bigbang became big, that “Jiyong” would disappear once “G-Dragon” debuts. That charming boy with the chubby cheeks in high school would be replaced by a cool rapper with a bad boy image. She told him once that he'd be as thin as a stick one day especially with how serious he trained in YG. He just laughed like an idiot, showing his gums and making his eyes disappear at the same time. Looking at him now, Hana would've sworn that he was malnourished and deprived if she didn't know how much he makes in a month from his songs' royalties alone. She knew he was stressed and she was beginning to worry about him. The scandals that plagued him throughout his career didn't help her feel at ease either.

 

They knew each other in middle school only started to become close when they became classmates in high school. The two of them, plus Dong Youngbae (who was also a trainee at YG and is also part of Bigbang), Lee Hansuk (the group's joker), Park Danny (who transferred in their second year from Los Angeles), and Kang Hyekyung (Hana's best friend since kindergarten) formed a tight group. All of them thought they would be best friends forever, but well, they grew up.

 

Hana and Hyekyung had started Golden Coffee together some years after college. They also manage it themselves. For Hana and Hyekyung, it was their own little heaven on earth.

 

Hana is proud of the cafe's interior, having designed it herself, thanks to her Interior Design degree. The ceiling, walls, and floor are white, with black outlines of trees that seem to grow on the walls from the ground. Apple green coffee tables are surrounded by yellow-green single couches, as well as chocolate colored long couches for big parties. Scattered in corners are green, yellow, blue, and brown plushies with small brown boxes beside them for bookworms who want some peace and quiet while they read. They also have a TV for those who want to tune in to M Countdown or Inkigayo and see how well their idols are doing. Hyekyung on the other hand, was the in charge for the cafe's menu.

 

On one particularly slow afternoon, Hyekyung made herself comfortable on one of the plushies and looked at Hana thoughtfully. Hana, on the other hand, did not notice her best friend's concerned look as she was staring at the TV. Inkigayo was on and G-Dragon was singing That XX.

 

“He's sick,” Hana mumbled unconsciously, hearing the unusual rasp in GD's voice. Her brows crumpled together and she started biting her inner cheeks, a habit she developed long ago when she grew worried. This action did not go unnoticed in Hyekyung's eyes. “Why did he sing when he sounds so sick?”

 

“You know that's prerecorded, right?” Hyekyung said, diverting her gaze to the TV as well. “They announced it at the fan cafe. He probably sang that song a dozen times. Maybe he's tired already.”

 

“Exactly my point. It's prerecorded, which means he shot this song several times but he still sounded strained.” Hana answered, placing her arms on the glass counter. She had been resupplying the dessert display case with new slices of cakes and a fresh batch of Hyekyung's homemade cookies.

 

Hyekyung smirked. Lately, Hana had been wearing that distracted, worried look on her face, every single time she sees GD perform, either with Bigbang or by himself. She stood up and went over to her best friend, placing both of her arms on the display case and sighed.

 

“It's been a year since that scandal.” Hyekyung said, “He's done his reflecting, his company helped him out, and now Bigbang is as big as ever. You should stop worrying about him.”

 

Hana looked at her and sighed. “You know I can't.”

 

Hyekyung shook her head and smirked. “Yeah, I know. That's the sad part.” She said, as a new customer opened the door. She pushed herself off the display case and walked to the other side of the counter, preparing for a new order.

 

Hana ignored her and looked up at the TV again. The performance had just ended. She sighed and faced the new customer, a young couple obviously on their first date. Her eyes softened as she looked at the couple, suddenly reminded of a particular event years ago. Blinking several times, she cleared and put on the brightest smile she could muster.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo! Welcome to Golden Coffee! What would you like to order?”

 

Her simple question started a round of what-do-you-want and anything's-fine-you-decide which went on for awhile. After some shy glances and blushes, they finally settled for a pair of cappuccinos and a slice of chocolate cake.

 

As Hyekyung started making the cappuccinos, she suddenly looked at Hana, a huge smile on her face, a mischievous twinkle in her eyes. Hana had learned long ago to be wary of this look. It always meant trouble. She tried to refocus on stacking up the pastries, hoping that her disinterest would make her friend reconsider whatever twisted thought she had in her head right now.

 

That didn't happen though. “I have a brilliant idea.” Hyekyung said.

 

“What now?” Hana groaned. Knowing each other for almost 20 years, Hana just knew that sentence would get her in deep trouble.

 

"I've just come up with the best plan ever in all of Korea.” Hyekyung said, smiling naughtily. Hana let out a snort, rolling her eyes.

 

Sensing her friend's distrust, Hyekyung quickly put her hands up in front of her. “No, no, wait. Just hear me out, okay?” she said excitedly. Her grin grew more, if that were possible, as she explained her plan to make Hana and Kwon Jiyong – the superstar G-Dragon – meet again after 7 years.

 

Hyekyung's brilliant idea was to organize a high school reunion.

 

A/N:

And so it begins. Flashbacks will come soon. I just wanted to say that I enjoyed writing about GD as a high school student. Hehe :)

Please leave a comment, rant, or whatever. I'd cheer every time I get one. (^^,)v