At least she was alive…

Unlocked Doors

 

“Yookyung?” she asked. The lights were on. In fact they were a little blinding. “Yookyung?”

There was no noise. Hayoung gave some tentative steps forward. She was now inside the room. There was no one there. She turned to tell the nurse about it but instead she saw something that frightened her.

It was Yookyung. She stood behind the opened door. Hayoung could only see half of the girl. She was too thin, extremely thin. Her head was a tangle of greasy hair. She wore a blue hospital gown that revealed her unnaturally boney legs. She wondered how they held her, how did she stand?

But the eye, the only eye she could see was sparkling and vivid.

Hayoung gasped loudly. “Yookyung? Are you okay?” she asked. The girl went to her best friend half-closing the door to have a complete view of Yookyung. She pulled her out of her hiding place. “How have you been? Have you eaten?”

Yookyung stared at Hayoung as she moved her lifeless body to the bed.

“Do you need anything? Is there something wrong?” Hayoung waited. She didn’t answer. “Can… you hear me?”

“Of course I can hear you!” she snapped with a grouchy and rough voice. Hayoung stepped back almost losing her balance by the sudden angry outburst of life. At least she was alive…

“Well…” Hayoung tried to regain her composure. “Are… you okay?”

“Ha, ha, ha!” her laugh was crazed and hysterical. “Do I look okay to you!?”

Hayoung was quiet. She didn’t know what to do or say. “You wanted to see me…”

“I need you to help me, Hayoung,” Yookyung dropped to the floor and began to pull onto Hayoung’s dress desperately. “Help me!” she sounded angry now. “Help!” Then her statement pleading. “Help!” Then it was angry again.

Hayoung put her hands over Yookyung's shoulders and helped her up. “I will help you. I will help you!”

Yookyung stood still. She smiled and caressed Hayoung’s cheek. “My little Hayoung. I knew you would help me.” Yookyung got on the floor and looked under her bed. Her movements were crazy and ferocious. “Here, here!” she pulled out a suitcase. Inside was a book… a book about demons…

Hayoung stepped back. “What is this?”

“This…” she said with writhed teeth. “Is her.”

“Her?” said Hayoung. Then she whispered: “The ghost girl?”

“She is a demon! She came here! She will kill me! She will kill me!” said Yookyung. Her voice sounded more like barks than anything else. “But you…. You will kill her first!” She jumped to the bed as she said this. She now stood squatting over the bed, slightly jumping with every remark she said. “I know what she is! She is the devil! A succubus! You must kill her before she kills me!”

“What? Yookyung… you have gone mad! I can’t kill her! I can’t kill anything.”

She didn’t listen. “Maybe… maybe you should let her kill that girl, Sulli!” she said and began to jump on the bed. “That way she will learn! That stupid girl! Ha, ha, ha, ha!”

Hayoung stepped back. “You are not okay…”

Yookyung stared at her. She seemed lifeless again. She jumped off the bed and stood before her, her face an inch away from Hayoung’s. “You will let her kill me Hayoung?” she began to cry. “I don’t want to die. I can’t eat or breathe or think! She is always here! Look she is there now!” Yookyung pointed at nothing. Hayoung looked back at Yookyung. “You won’t let her kill me right?”

“No… I-“

“Then you should kill her!” she said with all the sense of the world. She cleaned away her tear.  “You just have to stab her by the heart and puf! She will be all gone! As simple as that!” said Yookyung. She laughed loudly. Hayoung had to walk some steps back.  A nurse came in just in time, probably because of the loud noises Yookyung was making. They were pulling her onto the bed. She didn’t want to.

It was horrible. Hayouung left. There was nothing she could do.